Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
What Steve Woz thinks of Android and iOS:

Even Woz Thinks the Android Bests the iPhone
Jan 14, 2012 4:45 AM EST

Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak still loves his iPhone, but says in some ways, Android has leapt ahead. Wow.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs hated the Android smartphone operating system so much that he vowed he would spend his last dying breath and every penny Apple had in the bank trying to destroy it. Android, created by Google, entered the market after Apple but soon gained greater market share. A lot of Apple fans dismiss Android as a ripoff of Apple’s ideas, and a crappy one at that.

But oddly enough, Steve Wozniak, who co-founded Apple with Jobs in 1976, says he’s a big fan of Android phones. Woz says he still thinks Apple’s iPhone is the best overall smartphone, but he says there are ways in which Android has leapt ahead of Apple.

“My primary phone is the iPhone,” Woz says. “I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do.”

Woz says voice commands work better on Android. Android’s built-in navigation system, where the phone acts like a GPS system, is another advantage, he says.

Android phones aren’t as simple to use as the iPhone, but they’re not that much more complicated, and “if you’re willing to do the work to understand it a little bit, well I hate to say it, but there’s more available in some ways,” Woz says.

Woz caused a stir recently when he showed up on the Google campus to pick up a pre-release version of Google’s latest flagship phone, the Galaxy Nexus, and had his picture taken with a bunch of Googlers outside the Android development building.

As it turns out, Woz wasn’t crazy about the Galaxy Nexus—he likes the Motorola Droid Razr better—but unlike a lot of Apple bloggers and fans, Woz harbors no ill will toward Google and the Android development team.

He and Andy Rubin, the head of the Android project, are old friends. Woz was on the board of Rubin’s previous company, Danger, which made a smartphone called the Sidekick. “I’ve known Andy a long time, and I respect him a lot,” Woz says.

There’s a theory that Android could do to iOS (Apple’s mobile operating system) what Microsoft Windows did to the Macintosh in the 1990s. Microsoft triumphed because it licensed its software to many different hardware makers and ultimately had much greater market share than Apple, which would only sell its operating system on its own hardware.

In the mobile space, Apple is using the same playbook, tying its software tightly to its own hardware. And with Android, Apple is facing the same kind of foe that it once faced in Windows. “I can see the similarity,” Woz says.

Worse yet, this time, he says, Apple is up against a stronger competitor, since in his mind Windows was never a very good program, while Android actually is. “There’s not as big a difference [between iOS and Android] as there was between Mac and Windows,” he says.

The other difference involves applications. It took a long time before applications looked as good on Windows as they did on the Mac. But with Android, that’s not the case. In fact, in some ways Android might have an edge.

Woz says he recently spoke to a developer at Foursquare who said Apple’s bureaucratic approval process slows app developers down, whereas on Android, developers can get programs out faster and work on making tweaks and revisions in less time.

Then there’s Siri, Apple’s new voice-recognition software. Woz says he’s been using Siri for a long time and used to love it when it was an independent application created for the iPhone.

But ever since Apple bought Siri and built the software into the iPhone 4S, it doesn’t work as well as it used to.

“I used to ask Siri, ‘What are the five biggest lakes in California?’ and it would come back with the answer. Now it just misses. It gives me real estate listings. I used to ask, ‘What are the prime numbers greater than 87?’ and it would answer. Now instead of getting prime numbers, I get listings for prime rib, or prime real estate,” Woz says.

Worse, a lot of the time Siri says it can’t make a connection to the back-end servers that power the system. “With the iPhone 4 I could press a button and call my wife. Now on the 4S I can only do that when Siri can connect over the Internet. But many times it can’t connect. I’ve never had Android come back and say, ‘I can’t connect over the Internet.’”
Source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...he-iphone.html

I love his honesty. His thoughts pretty much mirror the way I see both platforms at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Also, the CM9 Music App looks really good, but it wont stream Google Music yet, which I use.
Yeah I wish Google would open up the APIs already. It probably has a lot to do with copyright issues though. I really want that 4x2 Music/Album Widget that the CM9 music player has. Although the music controls via the volume keys and on the lockscreen and notification bar kinda make it less necessary. Has anyone tried this app yet?

https://market.android.com/details?i...aW1wb3J0ZXIiXQ..

It supposedly pulls the music from Google Music cache and keeps all of the tagging and everything so you can use whatever Music Player you want to use with Google Music.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
Been annoyed with the delay in the GN car dock and the fact we may not know if it even works in with the LTE version. So I gave in and bought a universal one that mounts on in the slot for the CD player in your car. Hopefully it won't suck to bad. Already figured out a great way to wire a hidden charge cable to it in my car as well.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,258 Likes on 4,873 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
https://market.android.com/details?i...aW1wb3J0ZXIiXQ..

It supposedly pulls the music from Google Music cache and keeps all of the tagging and everything so you can use whatever Music Player you want to use with Google Music.
Ill have to try that out.

And that is a strange dock design.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Ill have to try that out.
Just tried it, works well. I like the CM9 music player too. Its very smooth and fast. I think I may try out making a theme. Im not a fan of the stock theme.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
And before you load those photos, be sure to select "SD Card" from the storage menu. If not they will be sent to internal memory. You can move them over later, but it takes FOREVER.

Old BB user.
New Razr needs a breathalyzer app with a 12hr delay to keep me from posting stupid shit like this when I'm drunk.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM

I thought it was strange too but then I realized that where it would fit in the Lexus would be right above my audio selection buttons but bellow the nav screen so it would essentially over cover up my hazard light switch which was fine by me. Hopefully it works as well as I picture it in my head. Otherwise at least they have a 30 day return policy.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Wow just learned that the company that makes the ipod unit for my car with integration into the Navi is working on Android integration now to be due out in March. Super excited I can't wait. If they make it as good as the apple setup I would love to get rid of my only Apple product I have.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Been annoyed with the delay in the GN car dock and the fact we may not know if it even works in with the LTE version. So I gave in and bought a universal one that mounts on in the slot for the CD player in your car. Hopefully it won't suck to bad. Already figured out a great way to wire a hidden charge cable to it in my car as well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61kuzNq1JuL.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61fAef1J6TL.jpg
Sweet. I just picked one up over the weekend too. Waiting for it to come. Looks good.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Just got my $3 USB OTG cable and my MHL Adapter today! Now I can mount USB Drives and my XBox controller to my Galaxy Nexus. (It should work on other USB peripherals such as a mouse or keyboard as well) Too bad the MHL Adapter won't allow you to plug in a USB peripheral through the Micro USB port.

To mount a hard drive just install this app (Root Required):

https://market.android.com/details?i...Glja21vdW50Il0.

It mounts the Flash Drives to "/sdcard/usbstorage/". Franco's kernel supports NTFS so it detects all my drives.

Waiting on my NFC Tags and my CD Slot car mount which should be coming in the next few days.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
errrrrrr

my comp wont recognize my phone right now...

do I really need to reflash/wipe data for this lol

guess i should, need to try a different kernel as well.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Suzuka Master

and that didnt work lol

Help!!

I'm using CM9 right now
Old 01-18-2012, 06:51 AM

Just got my $3 USB OTG cable and my MHL Adapter today! Now I can mount USB Drives and my XBox controller to my Galaxy Nexus. (It should work on other USB peripherals such as a mouse or keyboard as well) Too bad the MHL Adapter won't allow you to plug in a USB peripheral through the Micro USB port.

To mount a hard drive just install this app (Root Required):

https://market.android.com/details?i...Glja21vdW50Il0.

It mounts the Flash Drives to "/sdcard/usbstorage/". Franco's kernel supports NTFS so it detects all my drives.

Waiting on my NFC Tags and my CD Slot car mount which should be coming in the next few days.
I bought one of those USB adapters before I read that root was required. I don't want to root because I don't want to deal with the possible issues with Google Wallet or Updates.

Pics of my slot load mount to come shortly.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 AM

Here are a few quick pics I snapped this morning of the CD Slot Mount. I know they are not great but no I just need to get a new launcher I guess so that I can have it in landscape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2387_1.JPG (488.7 KB, 8 views)
IMG_2388_1.JPG (524.5 KB, 7 views)
IMG_2389_1.JPG (555.8 KB, 2 views)
IMG_2390_1.JPG (552.6 KB, 7 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by CCColtsicehockey:
CGFebTSX04 (01-18-2012), Mr Marco (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

looks like my wire is bad since it worked on my friends...
Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

Here are a few quick pics I snapped this morning of the CD Slot Mount. I know they are not great but no I just need to get a new launcher I guess so that I can have it in landscape.
Thanks for that! The CD Slot on my TSX is higher so it should be just right where I need it to be. As far as launchers go, almost all other home launchers in the market can go Landscape so that shouldn't be a problem. I was going to suggest CM9's Trebuchet Launcher which is pretty much like the stock ICS launcher with the addition of a few other options but you need to be rooted I believe to install it. Otherwise, there is Nova Launcher which is also based on the stock ICS launcher and if you haven't already gotten it, ADWEx Launcher which is still one of my favorites. XDA is blacked out today due to SOPA so it might be hard to find info on Trebuchet and Nova Launcher.

Trebuchet Launcher:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QYobYVTMx1olVg

Nova Launcher:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1389071

ADWEx:

https://market.android.com/details?i...5sYXVuY2hlciJd

So it looks like you can install Trebuchet without root. The downside of installing Trebuchet and Nova without root is that you won't see your widgets inside you app drawer. It'll function just like previous launchers where you have to long press and hold on an empty space to add widgets. Not that big of a deal IMO.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 01-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

I bought one of those USB adapters before I read that root was required. I don't want to root because I don't want to deal with the possible issues with Google Wallet or Updates.

You only need root to mount USB Drives. Well until Google officially codes it into stock. I believe the function works without root on the Galaxy S II so it should be possible and I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented yet. Your kernel will need to support NTFS though if you have drives that are formatted in NTFS. Otherwise, it won't read it. If you don't have root, all other USB devices like a keyboard, mouse or XBox controller should work just fine.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks for that! The CD Slot on my TSX is higher so it should be just right where I need it to be. As far as launchers go, almost all other home launchers in the market can go Landscape so that shouldn't be a problem. I was going to suggest CM9's Trebuchet Launcher which is pretty much like the stock ICS launcher with the addition of a few other options but you need to be rooted I believe to install it. Otherwise, there is Nova Launcher which is also based on the stock ICS launcher and if you haven't already gotten it, ADWEx Launcher which is still one of my favorites. XDA is blacked out today due to SOPA so it might be hard to find info on Trebuchet and Nova Launcher.

Trebuchet Launcher:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QYobYVTMx1olVg

Nova Launcher:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1389071

ADWEx:

https://market.android.com/details?i...5sYXVuY2hlciJd

So it looks like you can install Trebuchet without root. The downside of installing Trebuchet and Nova without root is that you won't see your widgets inside you app drawer. It'll function just like previous launchers where you have to long press and hold on an empty space to add widgets. Not that big of a deal IMO.
I am actually happy that it is low and happens to fit where it doesn't really block anything. I still really want the Samsung dock though since it uses bluetooth and then an audio cable for no engine whine. Wish I had a newer Lexus nav since they allow bluetooth audio streaming cause then this dock would be just fine and I could use steering wheel controls which would be awesome. I will hold out hope that the company that makes my iPod connector right now will bring that functionality to Android.

Yeah I already have ADWEx and the other Launcher in the market I forget the name but still using stock. I might give Nova a shot since I shouldn't loose anything over stock at I don't believe.

You only need root to mount USB Drives. Well until Google officially codes it into stock. I believe the function works without root on the Galaxy S II so it should be possible and I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented yet. Your kernel will need to support NTFS though if you have drives that are formatted in NTFS. Otherwise, it won't read it. If you don't have root, all other USB devices like a keyboard, mouse or XBox controller should work just fine.
Yeah the USB drive mount is what I am after. I want the ability to take pictures with my SLR or PS and put the card in a card reader and load pics on the fly without a computer sometimes. I have wanted that ability for a while. Not something I would use super often but would still be nice to have if it works fast enough.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are no issues. Rooting just give you access to root files. Root away.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I wanna do stuff to my phone, but XDA is down!!!!

didnt think i would have been affected by this...
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea I liked Trebuchet Launcher's launcher when I was on CM9.

Also face unlocked worked on my phone which was pretty cool, but I'm not gonna use it since its inconvenient to use it in class lol, and i dont wanna wait for no detection for the pin and all.

Also when I was using CM9 I noticed I couldnt find any of the setting tweaks that were in cm7, have those just not been ported over or something??

All I had options for was Audio stuff, deep idle, and one other thing I didnt care about, but I couldnt change things like the icons in the notification bar or performance settings and such. Are those just not available yet?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

Yeah XDA being blacked out was making me antsy. I was waiting for Franco's new kernel to drop and then that whole SOPA thing had to happen. Luckily it was back up after lunch. lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

I finally got to use Google Wallet today at the gas station. The expression on the cashier's face was pretty hilarious when I used it. She was just like how did you do that with your phone? Then I explained to her what Google Wallet was and she remembered she had some pamphlets that were given to her and a Google Wallet sticker that she could post on her door. We were probably talking a good 5-10 minutes before someone else walked in and I didn't want to be rude. Its almost like free publicity for Android phones.

Also, my NFC tags came in from Tagstand. I bought 4 of them and I'm gonna make different profiles for each. One for home use, one for car/navigation use, one for general going out usage and one for night mode. Should be interesting how this works out.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

what exactly can you do with the tags though? I thought they were more for businesses?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
what exactly can you do with the tags though? I thought they were more for businesses?
A lot of things. I posted a few pages back on what exactly the NFC tags can do:

More info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1359057

I'm mainly gonna use them to automate my profiles for different occasions. I hear you can even automate the whole rooting process just by scanning the tags. I know a few of the Android devs did it but I gotta research on how they did it. The tags have different memory cache and properties. I got different kinds just to see what they can and can't do. This is all new territory for me which is why I didn't want to get too many of them. Plus they were about $1+ per tag plus tax and shipping. Tagstand shipped theirs from Santa Monica. I thought they were located somewhere up north.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

ohh interesting... I like the car tag, just put it in your dock and voilaa
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Safety Car

ohh interesting... I like the car tag, just put it in your dock and voilaa
Its exactly what I had in mind. Pretty much stick it onto any plastic dock and it'll activate Car mode. For Car Mode, I have it set up to turn off WiFi, turn on Bluetooth, turn on Sound to Max and open the Car Home app. Then when I get home, I scan my Home mode NFC Tag and it'll turn off Bluetooth and turn on WiFi, put sound to Medium. The nice thing is that the tags can be written and rewritten so you can keep changing their functionality. Also, they're as tiny as a quarter so they're not obtrusive. I'm trying to figure out how to change the Display brightness automatically but it seems I may need to use Tasker along with my profiles to do it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Suzuka Master

So I'm looking to install the CM9 music app, and it says to uninstall the stock music app. How do you uninstall a system app??
Old 01-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Safety Car

So I'm looking to install the CM9 music app, and it says to uninstall the stock music app. How do you uninstall a system app??
You need to be rooted to delete any system app. Easiest way to uninstall is via Root Explorer. Simply navigate to /system/app/ folder and delete the apk you want to uninstall. You can also do it via terminal:

Code:
adb shell
su
cd /system/app/
rm nameofapp.apk
Remember that it is case sensitive.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 01-19-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Suzuka Master

well i got it uninstalled but now I cant install the CM9 music player, I go to file explorer click on the apk and it says something about it being a system file and if I wish to install. After clicking yes it says not installed.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Safety Car

well i got it uninstalled but now I cant install the CM9 music player, I go to file explorer click on the apk and it says something about it being a system file and if I wish to install. After clicking yes it says not installed.
You're not supposed to install it that way. You have to drag and drop it into the /system/app/ folder. Don't forget to change permissions as well to rw-r--r-- and make sure to reboot if it doesn't show up.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Suzuka Master

yea i figured the system which i did, but how do i change those permissions? I'm using the app super manager.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Safety Car

yea i figured the system which i did, but how do i change those permissions? I'm using the app super manager.
Hmm...I'm not familiar with that app. Can you do a long press and hold and maybe a menu will popup regarding permissions? If not, you can do it via terminal:

Code:
adb shell 
su
cd /system/app
chmod 644 /system/app/nameofapp.apk
The 644 will tell it to change to rw-r--r--
Old 01-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Suzuka Master

ohh i see
okk cool thanks man!

edit: so using the app i can change it to r/w and I do that and it still doesnt install. I tried your way and it couldnt find the file lol, for some reason on the app it shows Music (no install) dunno what that means...

Last edited by speedemon90; 01-19-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 AM

I finally got to use Google Wallet today at the gas station. The expression on the cashier's face was pretty hilarious when I used it. She was just like how did you do that with your phone? Then I explained to her what Google Wallet was and she remembered she had some pamphlets that were given to her and a Google Wallet sticker that she could post on her door. We were probably talking a good 5-10 minutes before someone else walked in and I didn't want to be rude. Its almost like free publicity for Android phones.

Also, my NFC tags came in from Tagstand. I bought 4 of them and I'm gonna make different profiles for each. One for home use, one for car/navigation use, one for general going out usage and one for night mode. Should be interesting how this works out.
Definitely interested in this for sure if the Samsung Dock never ends up working for Verizon. Look forward to hearing your updates.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Definitely interested in this for sure if the Samsung Dock never ends up working for Verizon. Look forward to hearing your updates.
It works quite well. I do have to say I wish the app had a little more functionality but that's something the app developer can update easily. I've already requested for brightness automation and he said he'll put it in the next update. If you have tasker and use it, then the possibilities are endless as you can actually program the tags to launch a task you define just by placing your phone next to the tag. The tags can get a little costly but they do have bundles where you can save some money on.

Right now I have three tags programmed. One for General Out, Car, and Home. Programming the tags is easy and instant. You pick the tasks you want to run and then when you're ready tap it to the tag and it writes immediately. The app has an indicator that displays how many bytes of memory it'll use up on the tag. To use the tags, all you do is turn on your display and place your phone next to the tag and it immediately runs the profiles you set up. You can look at the pictures to see what tasks can be done at the moment and I'm sure the dev will add some more in the future if you request it.

The app also has a built in polling option so for instances where you turn your display on and off, it doesn't keep re-running the same tags over and over until a predetermined set of time. You could also combine profiles into one tag which is what I did for one of them. So you scan it once, it does the first profile. You scan it again, it does the second profile. People are using that for the Night Clock mode. Scan it once to put it into the Night Clock and disable all sounds, etc. Scan it in the morning to put everything into normal mode.

Pretty much, the tags are limited by the app you use to write the tags with. They do sell an NFC USB Writer but I'm not sure what you can and can't do with that because I'm too poor right now to buy one and its pretty expensive. lol. (It's probably what the devs used to root their phones simply with an NFC tag). The tags are on a double sided sticky tape so you can pretty much just place them any where they'll stick.

Size comparison with a Quarter:

Top Row: Type 2 NFC, Outdoor Type 2 NFC, Type 2 NFC

Bottom Row: Mifare Classic Sticker

Each tag has different properties from one another and you can read up on the differences by clicking on them above. Some of the tags can be turned into read-only mode (not reversible) while others can't. 144 bytes seems to be the average which is more than enough for tasks needed. There are 1k bytes for people who like to program vCards and more complex things.

Pictures of the App and what you can do with it:

Keep an eye on these two threads for more info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1359057

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1447678

***IMPORTANT***

If you do decide to buy the tags and are running ICS 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, you will need to have the tags NDEF formatted.

It costs a few more cents to do this but this bug has been fixed in 4.0.3 so if you don't want to pay extra then just upgrade to 4.0.3.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 01-19-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

ohh i see
okk cool thanks man!

edit: so using the app i can change it to r/w and I do that and it still doesnt install. I tried your way and it couldnt find the file lol, for some reason on the app it shows Music (no install) dunno what that means...
Just realized I typed in the commands wrong. That's what I get for posting late at night. lol. It should've been:

Code:
adb shell 
su
cd /system/app
chmod 644 nameofapp.apk
Forgot you already did a cd to it. As far as it still not working...I'm not sure what it could be. You should be able to just push it to /system/app/ and then change the permissions and reboot and it should be there. It might be a ROM issue if it doesn't work.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Damn that is really cool.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Just experienced my first time of having the software buttons disappear on me. Really annoying my phone has been locking up a lot the last few days especially in photo apps. Really starting to get on my nerves. I guess I am going to have to go back and track down what the last few apps I installed are and maybe remove them.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM

You're not supposed to install it that way. You have to drag and drop it into the /system/app/ folder. Don't forget to change permissions as well to rw-r--r-- and make sure to reboot if it doesn't show up.
When I installed it, I just clicked the .apk in Root Explorer and it installed without a problem. I also didnt remove the stock music app, I just disabled it. No issues here.

Looks like CM9 for the NS is out of Alpha!!! Ill be flashing it in a few minutes.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread