Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by nbennettksu
had my EVO routed, battery is lasting me alllll damn day now, instead of having to charge it at 11:30am...

I slowed the processor down 80% when it is "sleeping"
then when battery life gets to 50%, I slowed the processor to 50%

it runs a little bit slower when I get to 50% battery, but the battery life is well worth it to me
You should start playing with kernels. Could potentially save you even more battery especially ones that can UV (undervolt). Make sure to read up though.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

Here's the LG G2x review form Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/20/t-mobile-g2x-review/

Looks like a solid phone with Vanilla Android. And Cyanogen did get this phone as expected. So expect Cyanogenmod on this in the next few weeks.

Hmm...after reading a thread from XDA, it looks like the AT&T 3G bands haven't been activated. They're there but they need to figure out how to turn them on. So I guess wait til someone confirms its working on AT&T 3G.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 04-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the Fascinate is finally getting Froyo starting tomorrow, the 21st. It did come out last so I guess it makes sense to get the update last.

http://support.vzw.com/system_update...fascinate.html
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Wow this is pretty cool for the Evo owners running CM7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbm0J...ature=youtu.be

Instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1038840

He talks about the Android 7 which is a launcher that makes the Android look like Windows 7 which would go well with this feature:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHXV...layer_embedded
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Eee Pad Transformer delay until June....

Just when thing were starting to look up for ASUS’ forthcoming Honeycomb tablet, it’s reportedly being delayed. The word first came in through Amazon who told their customers not to expect the dockable tablet until June of this year. To put that into context, the thing was expected to be out already. And technical issues aren’t to blame, apparently.
It’s because so many people want this tablet that ASUS won’t have enough to sell once they are ready to put it on store shelves. That’s good news for ASUS, but it’s also bad news at the same time. They’d better hurry on and release this thing because we’re set to see an onslaught of Honeycomb tablets this summer. Samsung will be releasing theirs in the US in the same timeframe and they have already set a solid date – June 8th.
LG just came to market with the G-Slate on T-Mobile here in the US. And those brands have a lot more traction right now that ASUS’. Let’s hope they can get more manufactured before too long.

http://phandroid.com/2011/04/20/asus...ed-until-june/

C'mon ASUS! Hurry up and get this out!

The $400 price tag is most appealing followed by the dock. Hopefully the tablet prices will fall by the summer. The g slate is $800 on amazon.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Samsung Fascinate Froyo update just started rolling. A day earlier than announced. Check your phone for updates. You can't use Wifi to download it due to some authentication thing Verizon is doing. If you can't wait (the server is probably getting hammered), you can download it from Android Police:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/04...lling-out-now/

Just rename the file to update.zip. Reboot to recovery then apply update. They'll have a more detailed instruction in the link above soon.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Safety Car

Palm Pre running Gingerbread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8nOD...layer_embedded

Source: http://www.precentral.net/android-du...d-pre-hardware and http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ml#post2940959

It doesn't look half bad. If they can get everything working I may just pick up a Palm Pre just for fun. I've always wanted to play with WebOS and this might give me an incentive to do so. lol.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 AM

Picked up the G2X today. Rooted it with one click method. Going to install CWM tomorrow since it takes a bit more work and reading. I read that Cyanogen is about 90% complete with a ROM for this since LG didn't the bootloaders down like HTC and Samsung do. Shouldn't be too long.

Since the phone has 6gb of memory (not the same as the 1gb of internal storage) the directory structure is a little different. I guess it's like a built in SD card. In /mnt/sdcard, I have a folder called _ExternalSD, which has everything from my last phone (backups, etc.). So, in order to restore my sms and apps, I had to C&P from the external to /mnt/sdcard. Is there a way to make the sd card part of the /mnt/sdcard folder?

Another thing I noticed is that when I am connected to wifi, the wifi calling app shuts down my data connection. So if I call somebody and then go out of range of wifi, the call drops. I can disable it, but I lost a couple calls before I figured out what was going on. I don't recall that happening with my last phone. Just a minor nuisance.

Definitely like the feel of this phone. It feels like a piece of paper compared to my G2.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Picked up the G2X today. Rooted it with one click method. Going to install CWM tomorrow since it takes a bit more work and reading. I read that Cyanogen is about 90% complete with a ROM for this since LG didn't the bootloaders down like HTC and Samsung do. Shouldn't be too long.

Since the phone has 6gb of memory (not the same as the 1gb of internal storage) the directory structure is a little different. I guess it's like a built in SD card. In /mnt/sdcard, I have a folder called _ExternalSD, which has everything from my last phone (backups, etc.). So, in order to restore my sms and apps, I had to C&P from the external to /mnt/sdcard. Is there a way to make the sd card part of the /mnt/sdcard folder?

Another thing I noticed is that when I am connected to wifi, the wifi calling app shuts down my data connection. So if I call somebody and then go out of range of wifi, the call drops. I can disable it, but I lost a couple calls before I figured out what was going on. I don't recall that happening with my last phone. Just a minor nuisance.

Definitely like the feel of this phone. It feels like a piece of paper compared to my G2.
Seems like they copied Samsung's hack in terms of the external SD Card implementation. I don't believe there is an easy way to change that directory. If you know linux very well you could do a bind command but you'll have to search that and it would probably be more trouble than its worth. You might want to follow CM_Arcee on Twitter who ported 90% of Cyanogenmod for the G2x:

http://twitter.com/#!/CM_arcee

Looks like they're making great progress which shouldn't be too hard for them considering that the device comes with Vanilla Android to begin with. As far as the Wifi calling, I don't have any experience with that. Maybe someone else knows better.

As far as bootloaders are concerned, Samsung hasn't locked their bootloaders, yet. They were notorious for not dropping their source code fast enough which frustrated the devs. But it seems they have changed that for the better since they seem to drop their source right or before they release their updates. For comparison, HTC usually takes a month at minimum before they release their sources. Also, those who know insiders in Samsung are saying the Galaxy S2 will also have unlocked bootloaders unless Google will mandate them. So the unlocked bootloaders are down to 3 manufacturers at the moment: LG, Sony Ericsson, and Samsung (for the time being).
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Safety Car

More good news for Galaxy S owners. The XDA guys figured out how to get Gingerbread Sense running on the phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzhtziHD7IY

Right now its in alpha stage but the fact they were able to do it is awesome and with the source code Samsung dropped they could potentially fix most of the stuff that's currently broken.

What's working:

-Phone (call, SMS)
-Audio
-SdCard detection (just internal working on ext)
-GPS
-HW3D
-Amazing speed

What isn't working:

-Other connectivities (BT, Wi-fi, Data)
-Ext SD
-HTC Camera
-Radio FM
-HTC voice recorder
Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1044637

For the Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G and Fascinate owners, you'll have to wait until they port them over. More likely when its in beta stage.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 AM

Whoops. I meant Motorola.....not sure why I typed Samsung.

I am going try a new SD card and format it. My guess is that it becomes part of the /mnt/sdcard. We'll see.

Kind of lame that this phone didn't come with an sd card or headphones.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Safety Car

The way Samsung did it, external_sd is found inside /mnt/sdcard/ so its "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/". Android was actually built to accommodate only one SD Card so they have to hack the second SD Card into the OS. Always confuses the noobs when they try flashing ROMs on the phone because they think "sdcard" folder is the external SD Card. lol.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 04-22-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Safety Car

I got bored of MIUI and decided to flash CM7. lol. It was pretty easy to transition from MIUI to CM7 since they use the same base. I'm running the Matted Blues theme and I really like the way its done. I may try the Gingerbread TouchWiz once they make better kernels for it and maybe Sense once they have Wifi and data working. Gotta love having options. Never get bored of this phone. It feels like a brand new phone after every new flash. haha.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
haha nice, I'm using ADW launcher and i got into customizing it pretty good so I like it now.

What do you know about UV, cause I just got the option with my Kernel to UV. But before I do, I want to know what I'm actually doing. If I UV, does that mean it will be harder to run a game at the same clock speed, then if I dont play with voltage? I'm honestly pretty good with my battery life right now, but I kinda want to see how UV will affect my battery life, as long as I'm not stressing out my phone more by UV. I will be OC at 1.2GHz also.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

UV provides nothing but benefits once you find the sweet spot for the voltage settings. It'll allow you to run higher speeds and even stock speeds with lesser battery drain. The downside is the testing and crashing where you can corrupt some data (hasn't happened to me yet but is very possible) during the testing phase.

Unfortunately, there is no proper method to testing your device's stability for Android yet. My method involves UV at -75 mV and then flicking up and down Tweetdeck (not sure why but this almost always crashes my device immediately compared to gaming), Benchmark testing, playing games and also letting the phone idle for a while then calling it and see whether it crashes or not. So basically, use it as you normally would and cross your fingers it doesn't crash. lol. If it does, go up a 25 mV and repeat the tests. No two phones are alike so you can't really apply the same values as someone else and expecting them to work without some issues but you can get a general idea of what your device is capable of and you tweak around those values.

Here is my current set up using Pimp My CPU:

Link to Pimp My CPU: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1018411

The White text = default voltages. Green text = new undervolt values. Green CPU = Frequencies being used. White CPU = frequencies not currently being used. The kernel I'm using can go up to 1.44 GHz which I haven't tried yet (too scared to fry my phone as it already gets hot at 1.3. lol. Some kernels even go to 1.6 GHz on this processor.) As you can see, the lower the processor speeds, the more I undervolt because my phone can handle it. At 100 MHz, I actually undervolted -150 mV compared to stock. That should save me a lot of power since the phone will spend a lot of time at 100 MHz when the screen is off. On the other hand, I'm running my phone at 1.2 GHz with the same battery drain as if it were running at 1 GHz and because I'm UV the other frequencies as well, I am actually saving more battery as it goes through each steps of frequencies. And again, the Hummingbird processor is pretty solid at 1.2 GHz. The phone is buttery smooth at 1.2 GHz. I can only imagine what its like at 1.6 although I may give it a try later on.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

So the new Facebook app took five steps backwards with the new update. It keeps crashing when attempting to use it other than reading your newsfeed. I found a modified black version of the app here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tea...d-1-5-2-a.html

Download link: http://www.4shared.com/file/LuiQNo1H/BNB_FB152.html

Install it like a normal apk. I like it better than the generic Facebook blue and white. Also saves me some battery with the SAMOLED screens. Don't understand why Facebook can't hire real developers.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea the new fb update does not go good with the latest CM7 haha.

I'm gonna look more into UV before I do it. But I'll start at -75mv and go from there. When you UV, do you do one clock speed at a time and just test it after you set every clock speed to make sure its really stable? What about using Setcpu stress test?. Also the developer for the Kernel said you can use terminal emulator to set the UV. And another question. I remember you said you used cpu spy to help with UV. When cpu spy shows you where your phones clock speed stays the most, how does that help you with UV?

And yea, my kernel allows me to go to 1.4, but it will crash at 1.4 once in a while, so I was at 1.3 for a while, and now I'm down to 1.2. 1.3 gets kinda hot when playing games and stuff haha.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Yea the new fb update does not go good with the latest CM7 haha.

I'm gonna look more into UV before I do it. But I'll start at -75mv and go from there. When you UV, do you do one clock speed at a time and just test it after you set every clock speed to make sure its really stable? What about using Setcpu stress test?. Also the developer for the Kernel said you can use terminal emulator to set the UV. And another question. I remember you said you used cpu spy to help with UV. When cpu spy shows you where your phones clock speed stays the most, how does that help you with UV?

And yea, my kernel allows me to go to 1.4, but it will crash at 1.4 once in a while, so I was at 1.3 for a while, and now I'm down to 1.2. 1.3 gets kinda hot when playing games and stuff haha.
I haven't used SetCPU in a while now so I'm not sure how they do stress test. Its probably a good test but I wouldn't use it as the only test because it probably runs synthetic benchmarks to crash the phone. You can use terminal emulator to change the voltage but the kernel has to support it. Most UV apps automate this process for you instead of having to manually input each voltage. I know I wouldn't want to type those commands every time. lol. Also, most, if not all, will create a script to restore your values for you. I don't recommend doing this until you've settled on your values though.

The proper way to stress test is to lock the CPU onto one frequency using SetCPU as max and min and then UV. Because I'm lazy, I actually just took a reference UV from someone else and tweaked it over time. CPU Spy gives me a general idea of what frequencies I need to focus on because the phone spends more of its time on those frequencies, in my case 1.2 GHz and 100 MHz. The others, I realized aren't too important so I focus on 1.2 and 100 the most then as I find them stable, I start to tweak the other frequencies and settled with my values. Hope that explains my methodology.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I got bored of MIUI and decided to flash CM7. lol. It was pretty easy to transition from MIUI to CM7 since they use the same base. I'm running the Matted Blues theme and I really like the way its done. I may try the Gingerbread TouchWiz once they make better kernels for it and maybe Sense once they have Wifi and data working. Gotta love having options. Never get bored of this phone. It feels like a brand new phone after every new flash. haha.
I know ur gonna have fun with this until you find the next step up...

Have you heard of Viper ROM... my friend at work flashed it on his Epic 4G and has been enjoying it...that phone has such a sweet screen..

CM7 ... wicked cool... I am still using RC4 since I haven't had anytime to deal with that GPS issue... anyhoo... I am still fining new options and changing things around...
Old 04-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by speedemon90
haha nice, I'm using ADW launcher and i got into customizing it pretty good so I like it now.

What do you know about UV, cause I just got the option with my Kernel to UV. But before I do, I want to know what I'm actually doing. If I UV, does that mean it will be harder to run a game at the same clock speed, then if I dont play with voltage? I'm honestly pretty good with my battery life right now, but I kinda want to see how UV will affect my battery life, as long as I'm not stressing out my phone more by UV. I will be OC at 1.2GHz also.
have been using it for a while... it had my phone all crazy until I learned what I was doing... now it combined with the CM7 advanced settig has my phone so ... I realy think I am gonna wait for a price drop and get my son and wife both EVOs... they will never bore of them and the hardware has given me ZERO issues!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Palm Pre running Gingerbread:

Source: http://www.precentral.net/android-du...d-pre-hardware and http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ml#post2940959

It doesn't look half bad. If they can get everything working I may just pick up a Palm Pre just for fun. I've always wanted to play with WebOS and this might give me an incentive to do so. lol.
The pre has a uber cool form factor but it wears like #$@% ... so I would love to see this interface on a pre... but would hate to deal with it from day to day... now... if HP has improved the hardware since they took over for the Pre2 (????)... if so...now youre talkin!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM

I dont know if yall have tried any of the apps from any of the major airlines.... I DL and used the ones from SW and Continental... the latter of the two is super fast and easy to use...

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 04-23-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Wow this is pretty cool for the Evo owners running CM7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbm0J...ature=youtu.be

Instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1038840

He talks about the Android 7 which is a launcher that makes the Android look like Windows 7 which would go well with this feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHXV...layer_embedded
Do want!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
I know ur gonna have fun with this until you find the next step up...

Have you heard of Viper ROM... my friend at work flashed it on his Epic 4G and has been enjoying it...that phone has such a sweet screen..

CM7 ... wicked cool... I am still using RC4 since I haven't had anytime to deal with that GPS issue... anyhoo... I am still fining new options and changing things around...
That Viper ROM looks to be a pretty solid ROM. There should be an influx of Gingerbread ROMs coming in the next coming weeks since Samsung dropped the source. There are already rumors that Samsung is prepping an official Gingerbread for the Epic 4G already so maybe it'll come by the summer.

The SAMOLED screens are very nice especially with Voodoo color and sharpness. Looks even better than stock and its adjustable to your liking. The contrast of the colors are really nice. Looking forward to the SAMOLED+ screens since they got rid of the pentile matrix pattern, not that I notice it too much now, and are 4.3".
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM

That Viper ROM looks to be a pretty solid ROM. There should be an influx of Gingerbread ROMs coming in the next coming weeks since Samsung dropped the source. There are already rumors that Samsung is prepping an official Gingerbread for the Epic 4G already so maybe it'll come by the summer.

The SAMOLED screens are very nice especially with Voodoo color and sharpness. Looks even better than stock and its adjustable to your liking. The contrast of the colors are really nice. Looking forward to the SAMOLED+ screens since they got rid of the pentile matrix pattern, not that I notice it too much now, and are 4.3".
Thanks for the heads up bro... knew u wold know!

SAMOLED+ at 4.3 inches (or more) would be sick!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

Looks like Cyanogenmod 7.0.1 fixed GPS for a lot of devices:

•Common: Fix fling velocity of status bar and ADW swipe - Sven Dawitz
•Common: Fixed webview layout bug (issue 3229) - Zinx
•Common: Fix GVoice-opens-twice bug - Zinx
•Common: Fix issues on all devices with DNS resolution failure after some time - Zinx, various
•Common: RTL improvements - Eran Mizrahi, Eyad Aboulouz
•Common: Fix crashes in Arabic locale - Eyad Aboulouz
•Common: Add Arabic keylayout - Eyad Aboulouz
•Common: Improve ADWLauncher scrolling/zoom performance - Pavel Kucera
•Common: Fix excessive memory use when appending to textviews - Cyanogen
•Common: New wallpapers from the CM community (CC License, see app for credits)
•Common: Option to disable vibration while in-call - Evan Charlton
•Common: Add long press option to status bar widgets for settings - Alex Avance
•Common: Compact carrier and status bar tweaks - Nihanth Subramanya, rorifree
•Sholes: Fix connectivity loss bug - cvpcs
•Speedy: Fix keyboard lights - JD Horelick
•Glacier: Fix backlights - Zinx
•Glacier: fix GPS issues - Zinx/QCom
•msm7x30: Fix bugs during video resume - Zinx
•qsd8x50: Fix 720p video playback
•qsd8x50: Unified 2.6.37 kernel - Cyanogen, toastcfh, slayher
•Espresso, Legend: WiFi fix (HTC)
•Supersonic: Fix GPS issues (HTC)
•msm7227: Fix GPS issues - Alex Hofbauer
•Click: Fix recovery kernel and compilation. Now works well with latest code - KalimochoAz
•Click: Speed up internet connection - KalimochoAz
•Blade: Update kernel to match Gen2 Radio - kallt_kaffe
•Blade: Update libaudio to fix SIP audio routing and microphone mute - Tom Giordano
The Supersonic = Evo. You could probably just flash this no data wipe.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

Okay Cyanogen just tweeted that you SHOULDN'T install 7.0.1 yet. They seem to have found an error. They're going to re-release. Not sure if they pulled the links down as well. This is when an Nandroid backup is very useful.

https://twitter.com/#!/cyanogen/stat...81403962220545

Sorry guys, we made a nasty mistake with 7.0.1. There will be an update in just a few.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Suzuka Master

thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Cyanogenmod 7.0.2 was released to fix the bugs in 7.0.1.

Common: Fix issue with missing built-in themes
Common: Update bundled ROM Manager to latest version
Supersonic: Actually fix GPS
Supersonic: Fix proximity and light sensor
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, just waiting for my ROM developer to incorporate it in his next update
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet leaks out with Honeycomb, IPS screen, optional stylus and keyboard folio?

Remember the ultra-thin Lenovo ThinkPad X1 we detailed just a few hours ago? The document that dished those secrets also mentioned an "X Slate," which made us wonder if Lenovo's LePad was finally hitting the states... but This is my next seems to have stumbled across a grander piece of technology than that oft-delayed slate. According to a presumably leaked company presentation, Lenovo's planning to release an Android 3.0 tablet this July with a giant raft of specs -- a 10.1-inch 1280 x 800 IPS capacitive multitouch panel, a Tegra 2 processor, up to 64GB of storage, front and rear cameras, a full-size USB 2.0 port, mini-HDMI out, a genuine SD card reader and up to 8 hours of purported battery life in a package about 14mm thick and weighing 1.6 pounds.

What's more, it will reportedly have an optional dual-digitizer with "true pen support" and an optional keyboard case, possibly aping ASUS's recent Slate and Transformer tablet input mechanisms by allowing for both simultaneously. There's also apparently plenty of software support for the business-minded, including IT integration as well as anti-theft and remote wipe options, and all this will apparently start at the competitive price of $499 -- assuming these documents are legitimate and still valid. You see, they look a little preliminary for a slate supposedly sampling in just a couple of months, and there are contradictions here and there, such as the mention of a 1080p display in one slide, and some watermarks from 2009 in others. Still, Lenovo, if you're indeed producing a tablet today, we're liking its proposed specs -- don't suppose we can get a Tegra T25 chip while you're at it? Find a few extra renders and plenty of slides at our source link.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/24/l...comb-ips-disp/

Sounds like a sweet rig. IPS display with better resolution than iPad. The competition is heating up.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 PM

The Eee pad Transformer is supposed to be released tomorrow. Will be picking one up if I can make it to Best Buy. The Acer Iconia is available now for $450 with the same specs minus the keyboard dock.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM

Looks like Cyanogenmod 7.0.1 fixed GPS for a lot of devices:

The Supersonic = Evo. You could probably just flash this no data wipe.
First I was like :

Then I was like :
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 PM

now I am like :
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 PM

... and I'm too tired to flash it... clinic was a bear today!

LOL... sounds like Im gonna go to jail....
Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
The Eee pad Transformer is supposed to be released tomorrow. Will be picking one up if I can make it to Best Buy. The Acer Iconia is available now for $450 with the same specs minus the keyboard dock.
The Acer Iconia also uses a regular LCD screen unlike the ASUS which uses an IPS screen (pretty big differentiating factor) and has 802.11a (does anyone still use that?) support. Anandtech did a great review on the Transformer here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4277/a...sformer-review

If you do pick one up, let me know how it is. I'm interested in getting one as well. Gotta save some funds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OWS8...layer_embedded

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 04-25-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

It looks like Google is prepping their video talk in GMail for the new 2.3.4 Gingerbread build. I'm guessing this is their answer to Facetime.

The Google I/O rumor mill has been surprisingly calm this year – certainly calmer than it was last year, that’s for sure. But a recent tweet from @MAFiA303, who reportedly "works with Samsung," changes that completely – have a look for yourself:

"Just had a video call using gmail on Nexus S. Impressive quality @googlenexus Gingerbread 2.3.4 #io2011"

Frankly, we were expecting to see more than a new iteration of Gingerbread at I/O, but hey – we’ll take what we can get, and video chat is a seriously hot addition to mobile Gmail (especially given that "impressive quality" statement). And this is Google we’re talking about, so expect a curveball – who can wait to see what surprises Andy and co. have in store?
Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/04...-at-google-io/

I'm kinda disappointed Apple still hasn't released their Facetime sources when they clearly stated at WWDC that it was going to be using an open standard for everyone to adopt. I guess I should've expected it from them though and their definition of "open":

http://adam-jackson.net/blog/2011/03...open-standard/
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

Looks like the ASUS Transformer is already sold out everywhere. Gotta try your luck at Best Buy. Either ASUS is really short on supplies on this device or its selling like hotcakes. According to Modaco though, you should install his recovery and root before you boot the device:

"If you're buying a Transformer, you should probably install my custom recovery and a custom ROM before you even boot it. If you don't......the device may auto-update and prevent you getting root!"

https://twitter.com/#!/PaulOBrien/st...23133048094720
https://twitter.com/#!/PaulOBrien/st...23183174209537

If you guys aren't familiar with Modaco, he's been around since the WM days. Might want to read up on XDA on how to root this thing.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Galaxy S II reviewed. Its a long one:

We liked

*clears throat* We liked nigh-on EVERYTHING on the Samsung Galaxy S2. It's rare we get to evangelise a handset so much – in fact we haven't managed to do so since we opened the box on the HTC Desire and realised a slick experience could live outside the iPhone.

But with the Samsung Galaxy S2, things have been ratcheted up a notch. The Super AMOLED plus screen, with improved sub-pixel density, is a joy to behold, and the 4.3-inch screen size is made palatable for smaller hands thanks to the ridiculously thin dimensions.

The lightning fast reaction time of the phone was amazing too – we're talking nothing else on the market that can come close, and it easily eclipses the Motorola Atrix and LG Optimus 2X when it comes to sheer zip.

We disliked

There's not much we didn't like if we're honest, which is testament to the constant evolution of Samsung's phones.

The keyboard is a little ropey, and the unlocking mechanism (swiping the screen to move it out of the way) looked a little cheap and nasty at times.

The plastic construction might reduce the weight, but it still feels a bit inexpensive when people will be looking for the ultimate phone design for the price.

The video recording can be a little patchy at Full HD, with the focus going in and out a bit at times.

We're still perplexed about why Samsung Apps is still an option here – avoid it and go to the Android Market instead.

Verdict

You only need to look at the disparity between the things we liked and things we didn't to see what this phone is all about – and if we're honest, some of those dislikes wouldn't have made it into most phone reviews, but we didn't want it to look ridiculous.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a phone we're excited to whip out in a pub and show off to our friends – it's the ultimate media mobile, the next generation in web browsing thanks to slick Flash integration, a very good replacement for a pocket camcorder and, goshdarnit, it makes calls pretty well too.

If you're at the higher end of phone contracts already, we insist you must check this phone out. If you're more of a budget user, you might want to get the Samsung Galaxy Ace (which is essentially an S2 Mini) but steer clear of any friends that have the full S2 – you'll be green with envy in no time.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has not only set a new bar for smartphones in 2011; it's smashed the bar, recreated it in its own image and put it out of reach of the competition.
Source: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...-930907/review

Looks positive all around. I wonder if they got the Tegra or the Exynos version. And I wonder how much different they are in real use.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Another Galaxy S II review:

Wrap-Up

Make no mistake, the Samsung Galaxy S II could very well be the best Android smartphone on the market today. Several iPhone users we showed it to said it was the first Android device that could turn their heads from Apple’s range, though the iPhone 5, expected to debut in the latter half of this year, should make for a strong incentive for existing owners to stick with iOS.

The HTC Sensation will bring the main Android competition when it arrives later in 2011, with its qHD display a key differentiator from the Samsung. However, it will have to prove itself against the Galaxy S II’s battery life, screen quality and camera, and that’s no easy challenge.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. While we like some of Samsung’s tweaks – the Kies air app is surprisingly useful, for instance – we’d prefer to see a clean Gingerbread install rather than TouchWiz. How much of a delay that UI modification will force on future Android OS updates remains to be seen, and some changes – such as the keyboard – are frankly backward steps. There are also some annoying teething pains, such as the Video Maker app being unable to handle the Galaxy S II’s 1080p footage.

They pale in comparison to the Samsung’s strengths, however. The display belies its WVGA resolution with Super AMOLED Plus technology that manages to be both frugal and visible outdoors, while the dual-core 1.2GHz processor does a similar balancing act with power use and performance. Together they add up to a smartphone with brilliant battery life and the most future-proof hardware we’ve seen to-date. Layer on top of that a great camera, fulsome multimedia support, broad connectivity and a wafer-thin design, and we’re running out of reasons not to buy the Galaxy S II. Samsung has upped not only its game but the benchmark for smartphones in general.
Source: http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...view-26148446/

Seems to agree with the other review. Looking forward to this phone and when Android actually utilizes Dual-Cores besides Honeycomb. Probably see it in Ice Cream at Google I/O.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread