Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
The ROM Manager is the very noob friendly method to install any ROM out there. If you do decide to do it manually remember that you have to flash the ROM and then GApps separately because you won't get the market and other google apps due to copyright issues from back in the day. Only need GApps for Cyanogenmod ROMs.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Im flashing Cyanogenmod RC4 right now as Im reading this... good stuff Mike!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
The ROM Manager is the very noob friendly method to install any ROM out there. If you do decide to do it manually remember that you have to flash the ROM and then GApps separately because you won't get the market and other google apps due to copyright issues from back in the day. Only need GApps for Cyanogenmod ROMs.
Yeah, it even asked if I wanted to add the google apps... this technology has come a long way qwik!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM

DUM-ME... I started my flash with my battery at about 25%... is that cool ?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM

its at 51% I think Im solid...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
DUM-ME... I started my flash with my battery at about 25%... is that cool ?
25% Should be good. Just keep it plugged in while its booting. It'll charge after the bootscreen. I believe they have WiMax working on this RC build. Let us know how it is.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 PM

25% Should be good. Just keep it plugged in while its booting. It'll charge after the bootscreen. I believe they have WiMax working on this RC build. Let us know how it is.
Will do and thanks alot mang!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 PM

...should I have wiped?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

...should I have wiped?
Yes. If you're coming from a different ROM. Make sure you backup your stuff using Titanium Backup. You might get away with not wiping but if you get a lot of FCs then wiping is the best way to fix that.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Yes. If you're coming from a different ROM. Make sure you backup your stuff using Titanium Backup. You might get away with not wiping but if you get a lot of FCs then wiping is the best way to fix that.
Im double checking that I backed up everything... and thanks Mike...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 PM

I backed up all user apps + system data
Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

You should be good to go. Some of backed up data may cause the apps to crash when you restore them in a newer ROM. If thats the case, its best to just restore just the app and redo the data manually. Its basically trial and error at that point. Most apps and data will restore without problems. There might be a few that won't like the data being restored to a newer ROM especially system data.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
You should be good to go. Some of backed up data may cause the apps to crash when you restore them in a newer ROM. If thats the case, its best to just restore just the app and redo the data manually. Its basically trial and error at that point. Most apps and data will restore without problems. There might be a few that won't like the data being restored to a newer ROM especially system data.
yea, the market is the main issue with me when this happens. But currently since I'm sticking to a single ROM every update I have only requires a cache and dalvik cache, no data needs to be erased so everything is always there for me.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Cyanogen RC4 is solid... took me a while to get all my medical stuff up and running... been super fast and stable! Since I'm at work, not had any time to reallly monkey with it... has options out the whazoo... wow!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Good to hear you got it up and running. I'm tempted to try the beta CM builds for the Galaxy S. Sorta waiting for a proper Gingerbread source drop from Samsung any day now since the Gingerbread leaks have started coming out. If that doesn't happen soon I may just go ahead and flash it since I miss Vanilla Android.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Here's a hands-on on the upcoming Asus EeePad Transform running Honeycomb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmQM...layer_embedded

Source: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/table...sformer-review

It was going for $399 on BestBuy this morning before it was taken down. Not sure if the pricing was a mistake but if it truly is $399 then I want one. The dock is supposed to cost $100 on the side but it also charges the tablet.

Asus commercial for the tab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xW3NhdjqI
Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Another vid on the ASUS eeePad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Hri...layer_embedded

I hope this will bring down the prices on Android tablets.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Here's MIUI running in its current state for the Galaxy S:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ls4V496kwI

I really wanna try this ROM out. Wish my i9000M came in already so I have a spare phone to flash ROMs with. If you guys haven't played with MIUI yet, you should give it a try. Its based on Cyanogenmod and its what TouchWiz should've been.

I believe the MIUI builds for other devices are pretty much complete. On the Galaxy S, they're having the same issues as the CM builds which are rear camera issues, battery drain and a few other things. Otherwise, its pretty stable as you can see in the vid.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
There is a stable MIUI Vision port for my G2. been contemplating flashing that for a while. I may give that a go later.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Cyanogen RC4 is solid... took me a while to get all my medical stuff up and running... been super fast and stable! Since I'm at work, not had any time to reallly monkey with it... has options out the whazoo... wow!
I'll be getting RC4 soon as well. From RC2 and 3 isnt it just bug fixes and performance enhancements? Are there any other options or features that are new?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM

Front and rear cameras work fine... great speed opening my programs... able to set it up pretty much like my Sprint ROM but I was using a gingerbread emulator ... BT wifi work fine... speaker phone is much louder .... no freezing up at all... great call quality ... phone and camera interfaces... every little thing you want is hanging around somewhere! One of the guys at work freaked out when he looked over my phone... now he wants his Epic rooted ASAP... LOL
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Front and rear cameras work fine... great speed opening my programs... able to set it up pretty much like my Sprint ROM but I was using a gingerbread emulator ... BT wifi work fine... speaker phone is much louder .... no freezing up at all... great call quality ... phone and camera interfaces... every little thing you want is hanging around somewhere! One of the guys at work freaked out when he looked over my phone... now he wants his Epic rooted ASAP... LOL
haha nice, I didnt notice camera menu tweaks.

My favorite thing are the lockscreen gestures. Also the rotary lockscreen is something I prefer. Yea the speed is amazing. Maybe there's other changes I forgot since I've been running a custom ROM since february I believe?

Here's my homescreen shot currently. Love my layout right now. I'll just show the main page.

I love my screen, the colors are just amazing!
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Safety Car

Nice. Yeah CM is amazing especially when your first use it. Its like a whole new Android world that you didn't know could exist. Would be awesome if phones just came with it stock instead of adding their crappy UIs. lol. (The Geeksphone One does actually have the option for it: http://www.geeksphone.com/en/) Itching to flash CM on my phone, maybe over the weekend. Samsung needs to release their Gingerbread source already so the devs can fix those bugs.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Sick homescreen speed! I love the movement with clean lettering in the foreground ... sweet!

Mike... flash CM and let me know what you think! I'm still at 55% battery after a day of full use at the clinic and monkeying around on the web too... that's over 15 hours unplugged .... sweetness ... ran into one freeze up while using Epocrates that fixed easily with a reboot.... I'm stoked!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Netfix for the Epic... anyone gotz the 411? My hommie at work rooted his Epic and has gone plum crazy trying to get some info on Netflix .... also, what's the best way for him to flash a rom? I used rom manager ... but his only had two roms ... mine had atleast a dozen options... clues... ideas? Thanks. Y'all!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Safety Car

Sick homescreen speed! I love the movement with clean lettering in the foreground ... sweet!

Mike... flash CM and let me know what you think! I'm still at 55% battery after a day of full use at the clinic and monkeying around on the web too... that's over 15 hours unplugged .... sweetness ... ran into one freeze up while using Epocrates that fixed easily with a reboot.... I'm stoked!
So I just flashed MIUI...My thoughts on it? I'm asking myself why I haven't flashed it earlier. The ROM is amazing. Its based on CM7 and it flies on my phone. I thought Samsung optimized the phone as much as they could with the latest Froyo builds but man am I glad to be wrong. MIUI is smooth as butter and I keep playing with the on and off CRT animations. lol. This ROM even supports themes and I saw one that makes it look like HTC Sense. Haven't tried those yet but I will look into it eventually.

The only problem I'm seeing so far is that the Camera has interference lines when using the viewfinder. Otherwise, when taking pics its not there so its not a big deal. 720P recording isn't working yet (I don't use it) and supposedly there are battery drains which I'm currently trying to kill my phone at the moment streaming Pandora and so far nothing unusual. Hasn't crashed at all yet and I've been restoring and multitasking. Once Samsung releases the source for Gingerbread, they'll have everything sorted out which hopefully is soon.

Netfix for the Epic... anyone gotz the 411? My hommie at work rooted his Epic and has gone plum crazy trying to get some info on Netflix .... also, what's the best way for him to flash a rom? I used rom manager ... but his only had two roms ... mine had atleast a dozen options... clues... ideas? Thanks. Y'all!
Netflix was working a few days ago but they killed the server that was allowing it to stream. I guess that means its almost ready to go. I'm probably gonna guess they'll release it at Google I/O in May.

The Epic 4G doesn't have as many options as the Evo because there aren't as many users. A lot of devs were turned off with Samsung sucking at updating their phones so they stayed away from them. (In my opinion, they excelled with the international Galaxy S) For a noob, ROM Manager is still the best way. To find ROMs, your friend should look at XDA. Download the ROM directly to the SD Card and use ROM Manager to install them:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=716

I know MIUI is currently being updated to match the latest advancements that the international Galaxy S has been getting so your friend should look into that. Otherwise, any of the ROMs at XDA will be faster and better than the stock ROMs because they don't get rid of the bloatware.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:14 AM

I agree about the MIUI....just flashed it last night. I really like it so far. It took some getting used to with no app drawer, but no biggie. The only issue I have so far is in the messaging app, the screen flashes between brightness settings for the first few seconds after opening it. I love how I know that the text is received by the other person. I like that I can pic from a multitude of themes on the fly. Also awesome that I can have as many home screens as I desire. The animations and screen transitions are also money. This ROM is awesome!

Now, on a new note....when you guys flash ROMs, do you always have to re-sync your BT to your car? Not a huge issue, but kind of a pain. The BT settings are saved on my phone, but the car always gives me shit when I try to sync. I always have to set up a new connection. Small pain, but part of the reason I don't flash new ROMs as much as I want to. Even when I try 'next phone' (acura specific), it says the pairing process has to be started from the car, which is BS since the car already has the phone's credentials. I am probably thinking about this too simply, but I don't think I should have to set up a new BT connection to my car every time I flash a new ROM.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks! Damn thats really good battery life. Mines not so bad either. Right now it will easily last a whole day but since the recent updates of CM, I've also been using lattitude, something I didnt use before, and that always keeps my phone awake. Which I also might turn off now, so we'll see how it is then.

Other than ROM manager, get them from the xda forums
So I just flashed MIUI...My thoughts on it? I'm asking myself why I haven't flashed it earlier. The ROM is amazing. Its based on CM7 and it flies on my phone. I thought Samsung optimized the phone as much as they could with the latest Froyo builds but man am I glad to be wrong. MIUI is smooth as butter and I keep playing with the on and off CRT animations. lol. This ROM even supports themes and I saw one that makes it look like HTC Sense. Haven't tried those yet but I will look into it eventually.

The only problem I'm seeing so far is that the Camera has interference lines when using the viewfinder. Otherwise, when taking pics its not there so its not a big deal. 720P recording isn't working yet (I don't use it) and supposedly there are battery drains which I'm currently trying to kill my phone at the moment streaming Pandora and so far nothing unusual. Hasn't crashed at all yet and I've been restoring and multitasking. Once Samsung releases the source for Gingerbread, they'll have everything sorted out which hopefully is soon.

Netflix was working a few days ago but they killed the server that was allowing it to stream. I guess that means its almost ready to go. I'm probably gonna guess they'll release it at Google I/O in May.

The Epic 4G doesn't have as many options as the Evo because there aren't as many users. A lot of devs were turned off with Samsung sucking at updating their phones so they stayed away from them. (In my opinion, they excelled with the international Galaxy S) For a noob, ROM Manager is still the best way. To find ROMs, your friend should look at XDA. Download the ROM directly to the SD Card and use ROM Manager to install them:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=716

I know MIUI is currently being updated to match the latest advancements that the international Galaxy S has been getting so your friend should look into that. Otherwise, any of the ROMs at XDA will be faster and better than the stock ROMs because they don't get rid of the bloatware.
Nice! I might have to try out MIUI after a while. I'm happy right now, but if nothing new is coming out, i may get bored haha.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I agree about the MIUI....just flashed it last night. I really like it so far. It took some getting used to with no app drawer, but no biggie. The only issue I have so far is in the messaging app, the screen flashes between brightness settings for the first few seconds after opening it. I love how I know that the text is received by the other person. I like that I can pic from a multitude of themes on the fly. Also awesome that I can have as many home screens as I desire. The animations and screen transitions are also money. This ROM is awesome!
Took me a while to find all the settings because they got moved around. I'm running an OC/UV kernel and pushing my phone to 1.2 GHz. So far its been rock solid and I've been trying to crash it and have been unsuccessful so far. lol. Usually though, its when the phone is idle when it crashes so I should find out tomorrow morning if my UV is too low.

Now, on a new note....when you guys flash ROMs, do you always have to re-sync your BT to your car? Not a huge issue, but kind of a pain. The BT settings are saved on my phone, but the car always gives me shit when I try to sync. I always have to set up a new connection. Small pain, but part of the reason I don't flash new ROMs as much as I want to. Even when I try 'next phone' (acura specific), it says the pairing process has to be started from the car, which is BS since the car already has the phone's credentials. I am probably thinking about this too simply, but I don't think I should have to set up a new BT connection to my car every time I flash a new ROM.
I don't have BT on my car but I do have to re-pair with my BT headset and BT GPS device every time I flash a new clean ROM.

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Nice! I might have to try out MIUI after a while. I'm happy right now, but if nothing new is coming out, i may get bored haha.
Yes definitely give it a try. If you like CM, you'll like MIUI. Its amazing how different the phone feels. It really is the perfect combo. Android widgets with an iPhone like interface.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:33 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
been using miui since it came out. they just released miui gingerbread for all the following phones yesterday april 1 no joke available here : Nexus S, Nexus One, Milestone, HD2, Desire, Desire HD and unsupported ports for Evo
Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I have a problem with my EVO. It's very slow to get the videos I've got on my SD card and when it finally opens them the Videos freeze but audio plays fine. I hope im making sense...lol no pun intended.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
I have a problem with my EVO. It's very slow to get the videos I've got on my SD card and when it finally opens them the Videos freeze but audio plays fine. I hope im making sense...lol no pun intended.
Is this with the stock video player? Have you tried using a different video player and see if you get the same problem?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,258 Likes on 4,873 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Try formatting your SD card.

What class SD card do you have?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

So to follow up with MIUI. Have had it installed since Friday. The build is stable all around. A few bugs here and there but that's expected considering XDA is hacking everything to make it work with Samsung's hardware. Just playing with kernels now to find the best features and stability. I've kept my OC to 1.2 GHz and undervolted each step to save extra battery when my phone is idle. So far its been rock solid. Battery life is about 8-10 hours depending on my usage which is shorter than my stock Galaxy S but its to be expected coming from a beta everything. Overall, I'm really enjoying the theming features of the ROM. Almost everything can be changed and the phone feels brand new all over again. lol. Also the Voodoo kernel on Gingerbread makes the screen look amazing in addition to the sound. Can change Gamma and RGB profiles on the fly which is awesome. For some reason too, the text looks better as well compared to the Froyo ROMs. I'm not sure if this is due to the font MIUI uses or the GB kernel. Gonna keep this until a stable GB build comes out or something better.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Lol at the ASUS Transformer ad at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer...at238200050008
Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

So to follow up with MIUI. Have had it installed since Friday. The build is stable all around. A few bugs here and there but that's expected considering XDA is hacking everything to make it work with Samsung's hardware. Just playing with kernels now to find the best features and stability. I've kept my OC to 1.2 GHz and undervolted each step to save extra battery when my phone is idle. So far its been rock solid. Battery life is about 8-10 hours depending on my usage which is shorter than my stock Galaxy S but its to be expected coming from a beta everything. Overall, I'm really enjoying the theming features of the ROM. Almost everything can be changed and the phone feels brand new all over again. lol. Also the Voodoo kernel on Gingerbread makes the screen look amazing in addition to the sound. Can change Gamma and RGB profiles on the fly which is awesome. For some reason too, the text looks better as well compared to the Froyo ROMs. I'm not sure if this is due to the font MIUI uses or the GB kernel. Gonna keep this until a stable GB build comes out or something better.
Wait 8-10 hours? Seriously? Thats horrible. How much usage do you put your phone through that its that short?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM

lol....the ad is down

any word on the release date? I keep hearing "early april", but it's already early april. this thing won't stay on shelves very long.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Wait 8-10 hours? Seriously? Thats horrible. How much usage do you put your phone through that its that short?
Well I have been flashing kernels left and right so that could be why. Also remember that this isn't a final build yet so battery is one of the bigger issues. 8-10 hours includes listening to about 1 hour of music, talking on the phone for an hour and texting here and there, tweetdeck pinging my facebook and twitter for updates every 30 mins, and taking a few pics with the camera. For a build like this, 8-10 hours is great as the battery drain seems to be coming from the hacked modem drivers. Battery life will improve as they tweak it some more and more importantly once the Gingerbread source gets dropped by Samsung. On a regular Froyo ROM I can pull around 16 to 1 day of battery life so I expect it to get there eventually.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 04-04-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
lol....the ad is down

any word on the release date? I keep hearing "early april", but it's already early april. this thing won't stay on shelves very long.
Yeah the word is some time in April. If they do sell them at the price they're saying, these will fly off the shelf. The Acer Iconia Tab will also be looking to compete with this along with the other Android tabs so I think the price war is starting. Here's the complete specs and info on the ASUS Transformer:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gHh4q7I8dvWJzhdV
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Safety Car

A new Market got leaked to a user earlier today with some upcoming updates:

Call it controlled leak or honest mistake, but according to Tech From 10, their Samsung Galaxy S phones started receiving a new test version of the Android Market this morning. Aside from a new “Content rating” section for apps, the new Market app is not that much different. However, this new version includes some interesting alpha and beta apps from Google. Among them is the upcoming Music app, which looks a lot like the baby brother of the Honeycomb version. You can download the app here if you’re of the adventurous type. (Update: TechFrom10′s servers seem to be down, luckily I had the app. You can get it here.)

The other three beta apps are “Google Gallery 3D New 10.2″, “‘Google – Camera v12″ and “Google Desk Clock 10″. By now everybody and their mothers knows a new version of the Music app is coming soon — probably launched along Google Music at something called Google I/O I hear is happening next month. But the other three apps are really surprising to see in the Android Market. Maybe this has something to do with that rumor we heard a year ago. It looks like Google is getting ready to decouple standard Android apps and components from the OS and start moving them to the Market. Apps like Mail, Gallery, Camera, Browser, Calendar, and Messaging would be available for everybody from the Android Market. Not only apps, but also things like the standard Android keyboard, widgets, and Launcher will be available for people running HTC Sense or TouchWiz.

Clearly, Google is trying to fend off the so-called “fragmentation” Android suffers from. By doing this, everyone with an Android phone will always have the latest version of all these apps – without waiting for an OTA update. Furthermore, those people running HTC Sense would be able to make their phone look just like a Nexus S by getting all these apps from the Market. It also allows Google to iterate these apps faster and fix bugs much quicker than it can now. Next step, figure out how to completely update Android from the Market app.
Source: http://androidandme.com/2011/04/unca...-gallery-apps/

The website that leaked the new Music app is down at the moment. Probably got hammered from all the people trying to download the app. You can get it from Android and Me's dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3192203/com....roid.music.apk

It looks like the Honeycomb music player for phones. Haven't tested it yet cause I'm still on MIUI and I'm enjoying the MIUI Music Player. May play around with it later.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread