Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Did you have trouble matching the Widgetsoid bar color to that of ICS?
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
To tell you the truth, I just eyeballed it. I didn't really spend much time trying to make it match. lol. It does have the usual hex code color interface if you want to go that route which I should probably do as well to make it match more properly.
Bringing back an old post, the Hex Code for ICS blue is 33B5E5, and this produces R=51, G=181, B=229
Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
So is there any easy way to get Google Wallet still for Verizon? Also will there be any problems if it is officially released because I side loaded it?

I also don't want this error to happen but I would love to use it cause it would be cool haha.
http://pocketnow.com/android/secure-...-google-wallet

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 01-03-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
So is there any easy way to get Google Wallet still for Verizon? Also will there be any problems if it is officially released because I side loaded it?

I also don't want this error to happen but I would love to use it cause it would be cool haha.
http://pocketnow.com/android/secure-...-google-wallet
The new way of getting Google Wallet is to just install the APK instead of flashing that packaged zip file through CWM. The way I read the thread, the "Secure Element" issue only happened with people who use the zip file flash and flash a lot of custom ROMs. I haven't encountered it yet but I still haven't officially used it. I mean I created an account but haven't purchased anything yet. Also, like some people were suggesting in the comments, making a Titanium Backup of the Google Wallet data and restoring it after every flash of a custom ROM can help prevent the problem. I've already wiped and reflashed a few times and have used this method and everything is good so far.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM

So if I don't plan on flashing and only doing official updates on the phone I should have no issues then?

I hate McDonald's but I may have to go get something just so I can try it. Not many other places around here have it.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
So if I don't plan on flashing and only doing official updates on the phone I should have no issues then?

I hate McDonald's but I may have to go get something just so I can try it. Not many other places around here have it.
Yeah that seems to be what I read. Also, as long as you stick to the "unofficial" APK install you'll be fine. The ones having problem were the ones who used the hacked zipped CWM method and then switched to the APK install. I did both but haven't made a purchase in between transition so maybe that's why I haven't been affected. Also note that the Secure Element would only affect Google Wallet so if ISIS does eventually come out, it shouldn't be an issue for most people as all other NFC functions will work.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

I forgot to mention this the other day. The Diztronic case has been updated to version 3 which accommodates the longer volume button on the LTE versions of the Galaxy Nexus. Apparently, people who had the LTE version had some fitment issues with the volume button. Diztronic has updated their case to fix this issue and will give you a free replacement if you contact them at support@tpu-cases.com

Give your Amazon Order number and they'll ship out the new case to you free of charge and you get to keep the old case. The guy responded to me within minutes of me sending out my email last night and gave me a tracking number so I can't complain about service. Here's v3 of the case btw:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=67
The following 2 users liked this post by CGFebTSX04:
Costco (01-03-2012), FiftyFive (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Cool guess I will give it a shot then. Hopefully Google can get more card companies on board though as I don't have a Citi card and it kinda seems like it defeats the purpose to have to refill a Google card. I do need to get a credit card though so maybe I will look into a Citi card although only CVS and McDonald's around here really have payment so far.

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 01-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
I forgot to mention this the other day. The Diztronic case has been updated to version 3 which accommodates the longer volume button on the LTE versions of the Galaxy Nexus. Apparently, people who had the LTE version had some fitment issues with the volume button. Diztronic has updated their case to fix this issue and will give you a free replacement if you contact them at support@tpu-cases.com

Give your Amazon Order number and they'll ship out the new case to you free of charge and you get to keep the old case. The guy responded to me within minutes of me sending out my email last night and gave me a tracking number so I can't complain about service. Here's v3 of the case btw:

Awesome! Just sent an email out to them. The volume issue on this case was really starting to bug me.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Only got my case when I got back to NC last night and haven't had any issues with the volume key so far but since I want to use it with my extended battery I am just going to send them an email anyways.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Got a quick reply, new one is already in the mail, wow!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Thanks for the info, I just purchased one as well. I purchased a Seidio Surface initially but it doesn't fit with the OEM extended battery, so it's going back.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Definitely gotta root and try out a new kernel. I was dumbfounded when I saw CGFeb's screenshot (how do you take one of the screen on the GNex anyway?) of his battery life on Bigxie's stock kernel. I'm currently at 10h, ~30m and I'm at 30% battery life. He had around 30% life after 1d and 1h or something like that. I would expect more since I try to kill apps and I only used the phone in the morning, during lunch hour and a bit before I went home

Just wanna put it out there.... really, thanks to all of you guys who post up videos, comments or even pose questions out there. There's still a lot I'm reading up on but there's so much I wouldn't think to ask about. The Diztronic case update, as a recent example. Even the guys that did the same in the iPhone thread. You guys are awesome. I'd probably be on the stock UI and OS permanently if it weren't for you all
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 AM

http://youtu.be/R9urfSWu51g

Wow, now that's customer service. This is a dirt cheap case and I love it anyways, I was just planning to adapt to the funky volume rocker.

Never going back to a silicone case again..... before that, it was never going back to a hard case.... TPU for life.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Costco
Definitely gotta root and try out a new kernel. I was dumbfounded when I saw CGFeb's screenshot (how do you take one of the screen on the GNex anyway?) of his battery life on Bigxie's stock kernel. I'm currently at 10h, ~30m and I'm at 30% battery life. He had around 30% life after 1d and 1h or something like that. I would expect more since I try to kill apps and I only used the phone in the morning, during lunch hour and a bit before I went home

Just wanna put it out there.... really, thanks to all of you guys who post up videos, comments or even pose questions out there. There's still a lot I'm reading up on but there's so much I wouldn't think to ask about. The Diztronic case update, as a recent example. Even the guys that did the same in the iPhone thread. You guys are awesome. I'd probably be on the stock UI and OS permanently if it weren't for you all
Screenshots are taken by holding Volume Down + Power for 1 sec. You'll see an animation. If you're gonna try out a kernel I really suggest Franco's. It keeps getting faster each release! I don't know how he does it but man my phone is a beast with his kernel and battery life is amazing. I am currently at 54% after using my phone for 12 hours on moderate use. You will need to be on a ROM running 4.0.3.

Wow, now that's customer service. This is a dirt cheap case and I love it anyways, I was just planning to adapt to the funky volume rocker.

Never going back to a silicone case again..... before that, it was never going back to a hard case.... TPU for life.
Yeah I really like this Diztronic case. For $10 its probably the best case I've ever owned and I hate using cases. This fits the phone like a glove. I love it and the customer service is top notch.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 AM

Gotta ask... what kind of music management software are you guys using? I want something that can sort everything and has options like iTunes basically to add album art, easy syncing, playlists, etc
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Gotta ask... what kind of music management software are you guys using? I want something that can sort everything and has options like iTunes basically to add album art, easy syncing, playlists, etc
Google Music
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Google Music
Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 AM

Old 01-04-2012, 10:27 AM

The same program that comes with my phone... duh

Never tried out google music nor did I know they made a desktop variant. I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM

Well you have to upload all your music to the cloud first. Then it is managed via a web interface.

If you want a desktop interface I suggest just using iTunes and then getting one of the programs that lets you load that onto your phone including playlists. I have seen a few different ones that have good ratings but can't think of the names right now.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

You can try Double Twist or Winamp. Both can do Wireless Sync:

https://market.android.com/details?i...2lkUGxheWVyIl0.

https://market.android.com/details?i...WVyUHJvS2V5Il0.

https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps

There are a few more alternatives but those are the most popular. Personally, I just dump music to a folder on my SD Card or use Google Music and stream songs. For album art covers, I use this app:

https://market.android.com/details?i...Y292ZXJhcnQiXQ..

Works really well for grabbing art covers.
The following 2 users liked this post by CGFebTSX04:
Costco (01-04-2012), GIBSON6594 (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
My Garage

You can try Double Twist or Winamp. Both can do Wireless Sync:

https://market.android.com/details?i...2lkUGxheWVyIl0.

https://market.android.com/details?i...WVyUHJvS2V5Il0.

https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps

There are a few more alternatives but those are the most popular. Personally, I just dump music to a folder on my SD Card or use Google Music and stream songs. For album art covers, I use this app:

https://market.android.com/details?i...Y292ZXJhcnQiXQ..

Works really well for grabbing art covers.
Does the cover art app only work with music on your SD card? I'd like to find something that will fill missing album art on my google music songs.

Edit: Nevermind, saw that it only words with SD.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Does the cover art app only work with music on your SD card? I'd like to find something that will fill missing album art on my google music songs.

Edit: Nevermind, saw that it only words with SD.
Google has yet to open the Google Music APIs. Hopefully, they do it soon so we can use other Music Players to stream Google Music. Although some people are saying that if you remove the ".nomedia" file from the /sdcard/Android/data/ folder you could point your preferred music player to the songs. Haven't tried it cause removing that ".nomedia" file will allow all the other music and pictures from the other folders in getting picked up by the Gallery and Music/Video Player unless you add a ".nomedia" file to each folder...

Oh as a tip, if you don't want certain pictures, music and other media files being picked up by the Gallery, Music or Video Players, you can add a ".nomedia" file into their respective folders and reboot. It'll be "hidden" until you remove that ".nomedia" file. You can create a ".nomedia" file using Root Explorer or copy and paste existing ones using a file manager or using an app like so:

https://market.android.com/details?i...Lm5vbWVkaWEiXQ..
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,258 Likes on 4,873 Posts
Well, now that I can get the Galaxy Nexus for $560, its looking a bit more doable. Decisions decisions....
Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
My Garage

Google has yet to open the Google Music APIs. Hopefully, they do it soon so we can use other Music Players to stream Google Music. Although some people are saying that if you remove the ".nomedia" file from the /sdcard/Android/data/ folder you could point your preferred music player to the songs. Haven't tried it cause removing that ".nomedia" file will allow all the other music and pictures from the other folders in getting picked up by the Gallery and Music/Video Player unless you add a ".nomedia" file to each folder...

Oh as a tip, if you don't want certain pictures, music and other media files being picked up by the Gallery, Music or Video Players, you can add a ".nomedia" file into their respective folders and reboot. It'll be "hidden" until you remove that ".nomedia" file. You can create a ".nomedia" file using Root Explorer or copy and paste existing ones using a file manager or using an app like so:

Cool, thanks again.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Well, now that I can get the Galaxy Nexus for $560, its looking a bit more doable. Decisions decisions....
I'm just going to wait for CES. Only a few more days.

I'm just not happy about it being only 16GB while the LTE is 32GB. Also wouldn't mind getting a phone a little more future proofed as far as specs go.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Thanks Good way to hide those pictures of the gf.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I'm just going to wait for CES. Only a few more days.

I'm just not happy about it being only 16GB while the LTE is 32GB. Also wouldn't mind getting a phone a little more future proofed as far as specs go.
Good point. It wouldnt be such a big deal to me if it had an sd card slot, but....
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

So XDA has gotten around to changing the software buttons. Been changing mine up:

More info on how to do it here and create your own icons:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1413582
Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Nice. I like the text buttons.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Nice. I like the text buttons.
Yeah that's what I decided to stick with. White Roboto text icons.

For the people who wanted Facebook Sync for ICS, check out HaxSync:

https://market.android.com/details?i...LmhheHN5bmMiXQ..

Its $0.99 but pretty easy to find if you know where to look. Supposedly it uses higher resolution images than what Facebook uses to sync so photo quality should be a lot better. Although, someone on XDA mentioned that Facebook and Google finally reached an agreement and contact sync should be coming in a future Facebook update? I'm trying to find a source but haven't come across one yet.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,253 Likes on 6,213 Posts
So does this mean you be able to turn off TouchWiz, Blur, etc on Android 4.0 devices and default to the standard ICS UI?

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...verywhere.html
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
So does this mean you be able to turn off TouchWiz, Blur, etc on Android 4.0 devices and default to the standard ICS UI?

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...verywhere.html
No.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by eccjak
Meet up with my cousin last night for dinner and he's been looking to get a new phone. He's been looking at the Galaxy Note yet there's no release date in the states. If he buys order one from ebay or amazon will 4g work?
you get HSPA+ on AT&T.
There are plenty of rumblings of AT&T and sprint versions in the near future.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Damn so a customer came in with a Galaxy Note.

That thing is sexy! But damn it's huge. But I bet surfing the net on it must be lovely.

Only downside he said was the battery. Lasts only half a day
I'd say damn near everything you use the screen for is sexy.
If you can get over not really using it one handed, the phone rocks hard.
I've had it since launch, and I will never go smaller screen again.

The battery actually lasts a day pretty easily normally.

- Frank
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Doesn't the Note have a 2500 mAh battery? I would assume that 2500 mAh would give it more than ample battery life even with the big screen. Oh also, the US version is going to be bringing NFC and will be coming to Sprint sometime soon:

http://androidandme.com/2012/01/news...ded-to-sprint/
Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts

maybe he uses it alot?

he did get it from Hong Kong

its pretty nice, but i'm not really sure how it would be to have 5" in my pocket...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 AM

Yeah that's what I decided to stick with. White Roboto text icons.

For the people who wanted Facebook Sync for ICS, check out HaxSync:

https://market.android.com/details?i...LmhheHN5bmMiXQ..

Its $0.99 but pretty easy to find if you know where to look. Supposedly it uses higher resolution images than what Facebook uses to sync so photo quality should be a lot better. Although, someone on XDA mentioned that Facebook and Google finally reached an agreement and contact sync should be coming in a future Facebook update? I'm trying to find a source but haven't come across one yet.
Sweet definitely going to check that out cause I am not sure I want future updates after finding this out here.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...mble-upon.html

Someone figured out the Verizon Galaxy Nexus gets free WiFi hotspot on accident using a specific widget. Just tested it out now on 4G and these are my speeds. This is so sweet.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 AM

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=phot...-and-hdmi-dock

Damn. If it turns out true the pins are different on the GSM vs LTE version I am going to be pissed. This dock is a big part of why I bought this phone. I have been working with Vlingo a lot lately to get used to it so I can get this dock and go completely hands free use while in the car with my phone.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Mizouse

maybe he uses it alot?

he did get it from Hong Kong

its pretty nice, but i'm not really sure how it would be to have 5" in my pocket...
I would think you already knew.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (01-05-2012)

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread