Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
flashed SZ kernel tonite... will let yall know how goes it...

http://www.savaged-zen.org/
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
speedemon - what clock widget is that you are using? also, what the deal with the 2 different times? lol
I'm using circle battery widget.
https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

And i was gonna post on here about the differences in time lol. Before it wasnt bad. But now it rarely updates, it goes a couple hours behind. With simi clock, clockr, or fancy widget. So its not the widget itself, theres something else bothering it. I dunno what it is.

And do you know when 2.3.4 will be incorporated in the next CM7 update? Hopefully soon!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90

And i was gonna post on here about the differences in time lol. Before it wasnt bad. But now it rarely updates, it goes a couple hours behind. With simi clock, clockr, or fancy widget. So its not the widget itself, theres something else bothering it. I dunno what it is.

And do you know when 2.3.4 will be incorporated in the next CM7 update? Hopefully soon!
If you have a task killer, its probably killing it so it stops updating. Gotta exclude the app from getting killed. If you don't have a task killer, are you running out of memory a lot?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

So I decided to flash a TouchWiz Gingerbread ROM after getting tired of the CM7 battery drain. I need to be able to use my phone for at least 8 hours minimum and until they can get the sources merged into the CM7 builds, its not gonna happen. It was fast but it sipped battery like no other and draining/recharging the battery so many times is not good for my battery's future life.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with TouchWiz Gingerbread. Its ridiculously fast. I am using a Speedmod kernel but he hasn't implemented all his tweaks yet and its comparable to CM7 which I don't think I'll miss at the moment except for some UI stuff. I'm gonna keep this until I get the itch to flash back to another ROM. lol. Hopefully, they'll get the Gingerbread sources all integrated into CM7 soon so I can go back. Oh yeah, battery seems to be awesome on this ROM so far.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
If you have a task killer, its probably killing it so it stops updating. Gotta exclude the app from getting killed. If you don't have a task killer, are you running out of memory a lot?
I'm guessing its CM7 thats doing it then. Remember before my phone wouldnt receive text messages before I locked it in memory. Now a lot of times when I click home it takes a bit for the launcher to come up because CM7 is also killing it, I never locked that in home memory yet. Maybe I am running out of memory? I wouldnt think so. Wish I had as much RAM as the Galaxy S

But maybe if I lock my launcher in memory it will stop doing that, or it should I hope.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

So I decided to flash a TouchWiz Gingerbread ROM after getting tired of the CM7 battery drain. I need to be able to use my phone for at least 8 hours minimum and until they can get the sources merged into the CM7 builds, its not gonna happen. It was fast but it sipped battery like no other and draining/recharging the battery so many times is not good for my battery's future life.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with TouchWiz Gingerbread. Its ridiculously fast. I am using a Speedmod kernel but he hasn't implemented all his tweaks yet and its comparable to CM7 which I don't think I'll miss at the moment except for some UI stuff. I'm gonna keep this until I get the itch to flash back to another ROM. lol. Hopefully, they'll get the Gingerbread sources all integrated into CM7 soon so I can go back. Oh yeah, battery seems to be awesome on this ROM so far.
Maybe with the kernel combo you're using its like that. Cause I get excellent battery life, charge it at the end of the day. And my phones used a lot. Although I will say maps is the evil when it comes to battery. If I use it, for some reason it will keep using battery even when I'm done, sometimes at least. Or else I get better battery life than stock Kinda forgot what life was like back then lol
Old 04-30-2011, 01:42 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks. I was actually referring to the clock with the vertical line all the way down the screen, but it looks like it's simi clock.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM

So I just installed simi clock and it looks like if you use user defined time settings, the time is off. Mine was off by 40+ minutes, then I set it system defined and it was correct. Did you have it set up like that speedemon?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm not sure if i had it set up like that, right now i'm back to clockr. I got rid of ADW launcher because it got to laggy sometimes, and thats why my simi clock had the line go down all the way like that, now it doesnt so i switched it up. But either way, all my clocks are off. I'm gonna try locking my home in memory. See if that cures it.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Safety Car

I'm guessing its CM7 thats doing it then. Remember before my phone wouldnt receive text messages before I locked it in memory. Now a lot of times when I click home it takes a bit for the launcher to come up because CM7 is also killing it, I never locked that in home memory yet. Maybe I am running out of memory? I wouldnt think so. Wish I had as much RAM as the Galaxy S

But maybe if I lock my launcher in memory it will stop doing that, or it should I hope.
Some apps have an option to prevent them from getting killed. Usually called "persistence" or something along those lines. Not sure if your clock widget has it. If not, bug the app developer and it should be an easy code for him/her to put in.

Maybe with the kernel combo you're using its like that. Cause I get excellent battery life, charge it at the end of the day. And my phones used a lot. Although I will say maps is the evil when it comes to battery. If I use it, for some reason it will keep using battery even when I'm done, sometimes at least. Or else I get better battery life than stock Kinda forgot what life was like back then lol
Yeah, CM7 for the Galaxy S isn't 100% complete yet. Its about 70% of a hack job and they're slowly incorporating the Gingerbread source. Cyanogenmod is actually moving to the new 2.3.4 base so that means video calling in GTalk will be supported soon by Cyanogenmod.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
DroidX user, not rooted.

I see in the marketplace that there are "security" apps that are like antivirus tools, etc.

Are these necessary? If so, any good free ones?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stogie1020
DroidX user, not rooted.

I see in the marketplace that there are "security" apps that are like antivirus tools, etc.

seeing how there were a few apps on the market place that were pulled, maybe. Or unless you download the apk files not using the marketplace to make sure some guy didnt put something funny I guess.

I have my lookout, so it acts as a scanner, and a locator if you lost your phone. And it can back up too.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

So it turns out I was running out of memory. I looked at my thing and i only had about 30mb free. When I was just under settings looking at it. I restarted the phone and i'm up to 100, so I should be fine now.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
seeing how there were a few apps on the market place that were pulled, maybe. Or unless you download the apk files not using the marketplace to make sure some guy didnt put something funny I guess.

I have my lookout, so it acts as a scanner, and a locator if you lost your phone. And it can back up too.

Cool, thanks! Just dl'd.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Finally HBO Go works! lol. I guess Charter fixed something on their end. It is no longer asking me to create a user account after creating 3-5 them it finally stuck to one. Good thing I didn't name it asdf. Haha. 3G streaming also works. Quality is excellent on both 3G and WiFi. Only downside is that it won't let you stream simultaneously to multiple devices. Only one stream at a time.
We found a way around that. My wife changed her log in name and email but not the DirecTV account email. She watched entourage and me eastbound
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 PM

I love this thread... so much WIN!!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stogie1020
DroidX user, not rooted.

Personally, I've never used one. Lookout and the many other security apps in the market failed to prevent the malware scare that happened just recently. Shows you how much of a waste of resource they really are. As long as you're downloading your apps from reputable developers it won't be an issue. ALWAYS read the reviews and if you can, read the permissions that the app requests (I know sometimes I overlook these, myself) to get an idea of what the app requires from your info like SMS access, etc.

But as always, nothing is 100% even with those security software. In my case, I choose to save the extra resources for other more important apps. Also, Lookout requires a subscription for their phone recovery service. There are plenty of apps in the market that don't require a subscription. I use PhoneLocator Pro:

Does everything lookout does and more with a one time fee and no subscription.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Safety Car

So it turns out I was running out of memory. I looked at my thing and i only had about 30mb free. When I was just under settings looking at it. I restarted the phone and i'm up to 100, so I should be fine now.
Well that 100 MB is gonna go back to 30 MB, unfortunately. Android's nature is to use up as much RAM as it can get to pre-cache things. The only way to prevent the app from getting killed is to have that persistent option on that app. There may be an app that can prevent killing the app. I know with Go Launcher EX, you can lock apps into memory but its not 100%. I remember reading somewhere that you can also change OOM values of an app in ADB or terminal so it doesn't get killed right away. Renice is another method but thats more advanced stuff that most people shouldn't be messing with in the first place.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 05-01-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
We found a way around that. My wife changed her log in name and email but not the DirecTV account email. She watched entourage and me eastbound
Unfortunately, its doing it again for me. I really think its a Charter issue because it does the same thing when I try to access it from a browser. Hopefully, they'll fix it 100% in the future or else I'll have to create a new username every time I want to watch. lol.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need help, how do I reset all the words that Swype on my Samsung Epic from Sprint with Froyo upgrade has been saving?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Try this link...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=819569

"Acutally, you can unteach swype on a word by word basis. Other than that you will need to go into settings>applications>manage applications>swype>Clear Data... that should reset the entire dictionary and all of its learned bad words."
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didnt even see this section...im definately an avid android supporter running cm7 on my og droid...waiting on some dual-core goodness from verizon!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by lowchef
didnt even see this section...im definately an avid android supporter running cm7 on my og droid...waiting on some dual-core goodness from verizon!
Great... glad youre here now... I just updated my GPS with a fox for the EVO issues .... that was crazy... backed up into fresh rom... lordy, I havent seen my phone with sense in fo evah!!!! OMG!

...maybe tomorrow I will get a chance to see how the SZ kernel and CM7 rock together... all while seeing if all this crazy flashin was worth it for my GPS to work... UGH!

Chef, are you using the CM kernel or have you changed urs? also, hows u battery life... I am getting about 18 hours with CM7 b/f I changed the kernel... we shall see... I know so far it is supa, sick fast!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Carriers crack down on Android tethering apps, rain on our mobile hotspot parade
BY TERRENCE O'BRIEN
POSTEDMAY 2ND 2011 03:32PM

Well everybody, it looks like the free ride is over: carriers in the US have started to seriously crack down on Android tethering apps. Head on over to the Android Market site and try to install an app that turns your smartphone into a WiFi hotspot -- there's a pretty good chance you'll be told, "this item is not available on your carrier." We checked out a number of different tethering options and they were all blocked by T-Mobile and AT&T, which isn't entirely new. Verizon has also joined the party and, while it missed at least one that we spotted, we're sure they'll all be gone in short order. Only Sprint has decided against banning such apps... for now. It looks like you might have to finally cough up for that tethering plan you've been desperately trying to avoid.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/02/c...-on-our-mobil/

Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Safety Car

Not a big deal considering tethering (USB and Wifi) is built into most custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod. Samsung and other international factory ROMs also have them built in as it was a feature of Android 2.1. Also as long as you have access to the APK of the tethering app which you can easily find with a Google search or make a backup of your own, you can install it yourself with any file explorer or email it to yourself without root (USB tethering only). Most tethering apps are open sourced any way and can be easily downloaded from the devs websites as well if you don't know how to compile it yourself.

For future reference for Android noobs, here's some websites where you can download the tethering app to your phone directly without the market if your ROM doesn't have tethering built in:

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

http://szym.net/barnacle/

If you know how to compile the app yourself, you can do so with the source codes they posted.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 05-02-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 PM

My new setup has given me great speed ... no freeze... and I'm over 15 hrs in with 44% battery left... solid. Oh yeah and the gps works great now...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
My new setup has given me great speed ... no freeze... and I'm over 15 hrs in with 44% battery left... solid. Oh yeah and the gps works great now...
SZ Kernel? Sounds pretty awesome. I must say the new Samsung Gingerbread is giving me excellent battery life as well. Maybe its a Gingerbread thing. I can easily get a day plus a couple hours of charge doing the same stuff I used to do with a Froyo ROM. The kernels I'm using aren't even optimized for battery life yet. Still planning to move back to CM7 once they integrate more stuff in because the speed of CM7 >> Samsung Gingerbread.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

Here's a tip that everyone can use in regards to making your ROM even more barebones by deleting unused apps in your system folder:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Barebones

You will need root access to delete these apps. Custom ROMs based on factory ROMs and factory ROMs will have a few more extra (sometimes less) apps not listed above. You'll have to search to see what you can and can't install without messing up your phone. As always do a backup before hand if you don't know how to restore from this. *Hint* Flashing the ROM without wiping again should fix your issues but it will bring back everything you just deleted. I don't remember if I mentioned this beforehand but its always good to bring it up again.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 05-02-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 PM

Here's a tip that everyone can use in regards to making your ROM even more barebones by deleting unused apps in your system folder:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Barebones

You will need root access to delete these apps. Custom ROMs based on factory ROMs and factory ROMs will have a few more extra (sometimes less) apps not listed above. You'll have to search to see what you can and can't install without messing up your phone. As always do a backup before hand if you don't know how to restore from this. *Hint* Flashing the ROM without wiping again should fix your issues but it will bring back everything you just deleted. I don't remember if I mentioned this beforehand but its always good to bring it up again.
So important... partner of mine has his phone rooted but has lost some files needed to make clockwork recover work properly... now his phone is in a kinda no mans land... custom rom.... but not truly rooted... I have my Ti Backup set to backup my whole mess twice a week... that way I have a fall back position that is a worst a couple days old.... Thanks again Mike for making me cautious and not afraid....

Really looks like a cool way to trim the fat... I had seen some of these features in CM& but had no idea what they did...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
So important... partner of mine has his phone rooted but has lost some files needed to make clockwork recover work properly... now his phone is in a kinda no mans land... custom rom.... but not truly rooted... I have my Ti Backup set to backup my whole mess twice a week... that way I have a fall back position that is a worst a couple days old.... Thanks again Mike for making me cautious and not afraid....

Really looks like a cool way to trim the fat... I had seen some of these features in CM& but had no idea what they did...
Do you know which phone he has? Depending on which phone, Clockwork is usually not the last resort in terms of recovering a semi-bricked phone. Its the noob friendly way but not usually last resort. For Samsung phones its ODIN, for HTC phones its fastboot (Usually requires S-Off for this one), for Motorolas its RSD Lite.

I forgot to mention, the Barebones trick above can be done using Root Explorer so you don't even need to install ADB. Just delete whatever files you don't think you need. This can free up extra RAM and system space and potentially speeding up your phone as well like media scanner spending less time finding files, etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Do you know which phone he has? Depending on which phone, Clockwork is usually not the last resort in terms of recovering a semi-bricked phone. Its the noob friendly way but not usually last resort. For Samsung phones its ODIN, for HTC phones its fastboot (Usually requires S-Off for this one), for Motorolas its RSD Lite.

I forgot to mention, the Barebones trick above can be done using Root Explorer so you don't even need to install ADB. Just delete whatever files you don't think you need. This can free up extra RAM and system space and potentially speeding up your phone as well like media scanner spending less time finding files, etc.
Epic 4G... kinda crazy... will let him know... thanks bro!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

In that case, then yes ODIN will restore that phone. As long as he can turn it on, its not bricked. Bricked = Won't turn on. He will need to access Download Mode which is totally separate from Recovery mode. Hold on and let me find a guide.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Here is a Video guide on how to use ODIN on an Epic 4G. Its pretty similar to all other Galaxy S phones, however, accessing Download mode uses different buttons for each model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleE_tzmiMo

The Guide above is outdated as it shows you how to flash to Froyo DK28. The current and most up to date Froyo is EC05 which can be found here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IDGGOVAV

^This file is fully stock except it has ClockWork Mod and is pre-rooted.

ODIN will require that your friend install the Galaxy S drivers, PIT file, be able to access download mode, and the TAR file above which is the EC05 ROM.

Follow the video exactly as above except instead of flashing DK28, flash the EC05 TAR file. All files needed except the EC05 TAR ROM are in the YouTube link above.

Full written instructions can be found here on how to flash with ODIN: http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic...tml#post761525

Accessing Download Mode on the Epic 4G:

1. Turn your Epic 4G off
2. While the phone is off, hold down the “1″ key on the QWERTY keyboard while holding the “Power” button
3. Now you will boot into Download mode

If your friend can't access Download Mode, he can build or buy a simple MicroUSB with 350K resistors that'll trigger it once plugged in. Very simple to make and all you need are resistors and a spare MicroUSB plug or buy it off eBay. If you still can't access Download Mode, then that's all there is to the phone.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 05-05-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Safety Car

Here is the MicroUSB jig to access Download Mode if you can't do it using the button combinations:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S...ht_1681wt_1396

You can make this yourself if you know how to solder. Guide here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=819551

Its actually 301k of resistance to trigger it. This works on ALL Galaxy S phones btw.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 PM

teaser of sony's upcoming honeycomb tabs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Sry...layer_embedded
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

ASUS Transformer playing Portal 2 using Splashtop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdfsf0BSGA

Didn't even know that was possible. The guy said he was playing on Wireless G. Wonder if Wireless N would improve some of the framerates. This thing keeps going in and out of stock. Been following the Slickdeals thread and every time it goes in stock, it gets sold out in minutes. Hopefully, ASUS will be able to keep up with the demand soon.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Im going to return my G2x today or tomorrow. Really disappointing on it
Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by asianspec
Im going to return my G2x today or tomorrow. Really disappointing on it
what was wrong with it?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:06 PM

what was wrong with it?

I don't know if his reasons are the same as mine, but here's why I returned mine...

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997

as far as the g2x....I'm not all that impressed with it. it is smoother than my g2, but not by much. there is lag when changing screens or loading apparently drawer or other things. not the kind of thing I was expectiing from a dual core. the ips display is just ok. my screen flickers all the time too. maybe bug with the hardware, but not cool. I wish the screen was bigger. the battery life us much better than my g2 though. I can last more than 24 hrs with 4g, bt, wifi, and autosync on. overall, not a bad phone. just not living up to the hype, IMO.

It's just not that much better than my G2. And the performance was rather lacking for a dual core, IMO.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

ohh got it. Hmm interesting.

wait for the samsung galaxy s II, that thing is suppose to be a beast!

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread