Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
uhh can you root a phone on a mac???
Most scripts are written for Windows but if you know how to do it manually then yes you can. Zedomax says that Heimdall works on a Mac:

http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-ro...s3-on-mac-osx/

^The guide above is for the international version. However, the process is the same for all S3 phones. So in your case, just find the proper Recovery and the proper SuperUser.zip file.
- Heimdall is an alternative to ODIN. It works the same way but is actually safer than ODIN as it was designed to flash things with less bricking.

Here's another guide and made for the T-Mobile S3:

http://www.androidrootz.com/2012/10/...n-mac-osx.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&highlight=mac

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-19-2012 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
speedemon90 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Just FYI for people planning to move to 4.2 ROMs in the next few weeks. Keep an eye on your CWM Recovery updates. CWM is being updated to match the new multi-user structure in Android 4.2. The Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Nexus 10 have all just been updated to support the new multi-user structure. You can flash the latest Recovery with ROM Manager from the Play Store or flash it manually using Fastboot and grab the appropriate recovery image from the Clockworkmod website:

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

This is Koush's (creator of Clockwormod) statement on the new recoveries:

The version 6.0.1.8 is optimized for Android 4.2 and will not create any problem with wiping your sdcard , you just need to know that sdcard will be listed in "0" folder in the Recovery from now on and this is not a bug it just that new multiuser thing in Android 4.2
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwjang86
So any help with rooting the Nexus4? Good websites I should look at? First time Nexus owner here and all help will be appreciated
Here's the first Toolkit to backup, recover, root the Nexus 4 the easy way by mskip. All links and instructions needed in the thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...hlight=toolkit

Wugfresh will be releasing his version (1.6) which has a better UI soon but its not up yet. You can keep track of it on his website:

http://www.wugfresh.com/

Remember, unlocking your Bootloader will wipe everything! Backup first.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
lol guess you didnt see the post below can i root mac where i said i was able to root it... i just used my dads comp. Thanks anyway!!

Hmm thinking about what to do on my phone, not such a huge selection. THink i may just De-bloat the phone with some ROM and then get the 4.2 keyboard and camera app. Should be set then. This phone is fast and i like it

One thing though.. there's this very small lag when you hit the home button and the response, rather annoying haha but w/e, hopefully some of these ROMS get rid of that.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Safety Car

One thing though.. there's this very small lag when you hit the home button and the response, rather annoying haha but w/e, hopefully some of these ROMS get rid of that.
Disable S-Voice in the settings menu. Its waiting for you to double tap to activate it.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-19-2012 at 02:16 PM.
speedemon90 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

If you guys use Twitter, you have to check out Falcon Pro Beta. Its amazing:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post34361296

Download link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47233654/Fa..._BETA_v0.1.apk

Just wow for a beta app this is beautiful and functional at the same time. Its also a lot smoother than the recent Plume updates.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Safety Car

If you guys want just the widget which is a full fledged app on its own in Widget form check out Falcon for Twitter:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

It also works on the Lockscreen now in 4.2!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Hmm........ Question for you guys:

Galaxy S3, LG Optimus G, or HTC One X+
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
None...Nexus 4
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Hmm........ Question for you guys:

Galaxy S3, LG Optimus G, or HTC One X+
If those were the only choices:

S3 > HOX+ > LG Optimus G.

The HOX+ may have Jelly Bean but it should be a concern that HTC still hasn't updated their other HOX lines to Jelly Bean. It as almost like they forgot they exist. At least the S3 is actively getting Jelly Bean updates internationally and there have been leaks of US builds out there on XDA. So you have to worry what HTC's plans in terms of updates are for their HOX line in the future.

As for the LG, it is practically the Nexus 4 BUT with a locked bootloader. Had they not locked it down, I would've recommended it above all three simply because it would be so easy to turn it into a Nexus if you wanted. By locking down the boot loader they prevented that and the community as small as it is already for LG will take a while to unlock it to get its full potential. LG also has a ridiculous track record when it comes to updating their things so I would avoid them until they figure it out which hopefully they will.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
I played with my coworkers Note II. I want it. It doesnt feel as big in the hand as the old one, but its still a big phone. I just love the screen.

But, I missed the two day sale that Tmo was doing this weekend, where I couldve gotten the Note II for $200 on contract. Its back up to $370 now
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM

I have the Note and do want the Note 2....i compared the 2 and when you stack them on top of each other, there is no difference in overall size...its amazing how they put a bigger screen on the same damn body....
Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh

I have the Note and do want the Note 2....i compared the 2 and when you stack them on top of each other, there is no difference in overall size...its amazing how they put a bigger screen on the same damn body....
wait, the Note II has a bigger screen than the first NOTE?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM

Note has a 5.3" screen and the note 2 has a 5.5" screen
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I shoot people

Whoa! Didn't know that. If I didn't already have my N7 and my GNex less than a year old, I'd be all over it
Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 PM

I think the NoteIII will be still better, I have been reading that they might come back with soft touch buttons....I would def miss the soft touch buttons a lot, if they planned on just having a 1 home button....
Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by swoosh
None...Nexus 4
LOL if you can magically make the Play store have stock, then let's talk.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
If those were the only choices:

S3 > HOX+ > LG Optimus G.

The HOX+ may have Jelly Bean but it should be a concern that HTC still hasn't updated their other HOX lines to Jelly Bean. It as almost like they forgot they exist. At least the S3 is actively getting Jelly Bean updates internationally and there have been leaks of US builds out there on XDA. So you have to worry what HTC's plans in terms of updates are for their HOX line in the future.

As for the LG, it is practically the Nexus 4 BUT with a locked bootloader. Had they not locked it down, I would've recommended it above all three simply because it would be so easy to turn it into a Nexus if you wanted. By locking down the boot loader they prevented that and the community as small as it is already for LG will take a while to unlock it to get its full potential. LG also has a ridiculous track record when it comes to updating their things so I would avoid them until they figure it out which hopefully they will.

Well, it's not going to be for me so the whole locked bootloader, etc won't be a bother because this person will doesn't even know what a ROM is. I was thinking X+ only because it has JB already, since the S3 is lagging behind for AT&T updates. But the S3 is more common, so she can enjoy the whole NFC thing with friends and what not.

I just keep hoping for the imminent price drop so I don't have to spend more than I need to
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Well, it's not going to be for me so the whole locked bootloader, etc won't be a bother because this person will doesn't even know what a ROM is. I was thinking X+ only because it has JB already, since the S3 is lagging behind for AT&T updates. But the S3 is more common, so she can enjoy the whole NFC thing with friends and what not.

I just keep hoping for the imminent price drop so I don't have to spend more than I need to
The HOX and pretty much all recent Android phones released in the past year have NFC already. Samsung is just using a proprietary WiDi connection (albeit, a superior one in comparison to the Vanilla Android Jelly Bean connection) to transfer photos, music and whatever other stuff you can transfer with NFC. So the connections only currently work with other TouchWiz NFC Equipped Samsung phones. However, Jelly Bean will allow it to transfer with other non-Samsung phones via the Vanilla Android NFC Transfer which uses Bluetooth and is much slower and much more limited than Samsung's own set up.

The HOX+ screen will be superior to the S3's but you also have to remember the trade offs: Non-Removable battery, No MicroSD Card slot for memory expansion, slightly thicker than the S3. JellyBean also doesn't add much to the skins with the exception of the new features. Both Sense and TouchWiz enable Hardware Acceleration in all parts of their skins so the performance boost to JellyBean would be minimal which is why most reviews comparing ICS to JellyBean on TouchWiz aren't seeing the full project butter goodness that was lacking in Nexus phones. Although, the multitasking that's found in the Note II is supposedly coming to the S3 JellyBean update as well so that should be a nice feature to have added on. Also, the S3 is supposed to be going on sale this week from $0.49 to around $49. Just keep checking slickdeals.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5258048-Head...-2-yr-contract

Jelly Bean update info for S3:

http://m.samsung.com/us/support/Supp...2&fm_seq=55187

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ght=jelly+bean

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-19-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Goodbye.

The HOX and pretty much all recent Android phones released in the past year have NFC already. Samsung is just using a proprietary WiDi connection (albeit, a superior one in comparison to the Vanilla Android Jelly Bean connection) to transfer photos, music and whatever other stuff you can transfer with NFC. So the connections only currently work with other TouchWiz NFC Equipped Samsung phones. However, Jelly Bean will allow it to transfer with other non-Samsung phones via the Vanilla Android NFC Transfer which uses Bluetooth and is much slower and much more limited than Samsung's own set up.

The HOX+ screen will be superior to the S3's but you also have to remember the trade offs: Non-Removable battery, No MicroSD Card slot for memory expansion, slightly thicker than the S3. JellyBean also doesn't add much to the skins with the exception of the new features. Both Sense and TouchWiz enable Hardware Acceleration in all parts of their skins so the performance boost to JellyBean would be minimal which is why most reviews comparing ICS to JellyBean on TouchWiz aren't seeing the full project butter goodness that was lacking in Nexus phones. Although, the multitasking that's found in the Note II is supposedly coming to the S3 JellyBean update as well so that should be a nice feature to have added on. Also, the S3 is supposed to be going on sale this week from $0.49 to around $49. Just keep checking slickdeals.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5258048-Head...-2-yr-contract

Jelly Bean update info for S3:

http://m.samsung.com/us/support/Supp...2&fm_seq=55187

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ght=jelly+bean
Yeah, but like I said.....it's not for me. And I already am the tech support for more people than I can count. I might just make this person try out both phones/UI and see which she likes the best. I hate having to make user-based decisions for other people because if they hate it later, I get blamed for it
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

Looks like Google is starting to sort things out with the Nexus 4:

This is Jonathan, from Google Play Suport Team.

First, let me start off by extending my deepest sympathy to all the people that ordered their Nexus 4 device on nov. the 13th and still have not received it yet. We at Google Play value your business and are doing all we can to fulfill orders as soon as humanly possible.

Unfortunately, as many of you know by now, the demand for the Nexus 4 device was so overwhelming, that our internal servers processesing the orders crashed, and we had to resort to a secondary processor for said orders. This caused a multitude of problems, including but not limited to duplicate or triplicate orders, missing orders and the such. We understand that you have been frustrated by the lack of information, but again, let me assure you that we are getting everything in order, so that we can process the rest of the orders in a timely fashion. As mentioned in a prior email sent to customers, your shipping fee wil be fully refunded, and we are looking into offering something extra to our affected customers, such as Play Store credit or a free accesory for your Nexus device.

To answer some of the most common questions, if youre seeing a date change in your Play Store orders screen, that means that your order has been revised by our team, and has already passed final verification. You can expect to receive shipment confirmation emails in the very short term (within 48 hours). We do have stock on hand, and will be working troughout the week with our partners to fulfill as many orders as we can.

We will issue a formal statement in the coming hours, so please stay tuned.

Sincerly,

Thomas J,
Google Play Support Team
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=17139

People are posting that their backorders are updating to as being shipped. Hopefully, they'll start selling again.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

Nexus 4 Bumper Pictures on and off the phone. Looks pretty nice:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=26

Someone posted this in r/Nexus4:

Alright, I just got this and the phone from the UPS. I've had just about any good quality cases for my past phone, SGP, Otterbox, Ringke... etc. They are all around $15-$35 range. And this bumper, at t$20, has the most premium feeling to it.

There are 4 different feels of materials on this thing.

1. front rim is soft smooth rubber
2. back rim is the same type of finish with a kind of crosshatching pattern to it, which make it a bit rougher.
3. center rim is smooth plastic with a sort of gun metal finish
4. button are chrome plastic just like the phone

Both from and back will lift the phone about 1mm off a surface. The rubber parts are not sticky like silicon. The buttons make it feels like it the phone and not a case. For me, totally worth the $20.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Goodbye.

Now just need ZAGG to make screen protectors for the front and back!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Suzuka Master

man i want a nexus 4 lol... i just need to sweeten up this GS3 to my standards. It is incredibly fast, havent really tested the camera but i know its good. I need to find out what touchwiz can do and what features this phone has. Its so different haha.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Goodbye.

Looks like a white N4 is coming later this year...
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

does anyone else on here have an S3??

So my ROM has been de-bloated, got 4.2 camera/gallery and keyboard. I just clicked on photosphere and it works. I'll do one later. I'm also on stock JB launcher. Ummm thats about it for now.

Mike what was the LED notification app again??

Last edited by speedemon90; 11-20-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

utter went into beta

and holy shit has it come a long way!!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Goodbye.

Praise Jesus!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...-att-variants/

Looks like Devs are already in early progress of unlocking the Optimus G bootloaders....... LTE Nexus 4 with SD Card slot here we come?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM
I shoot people

utter went into beta

and holy shit has it come a long way!!

http://youtu.be/A_irIFVI1x0
looks good, but I just tried the beta and needs a lot of work... it didn't recognize most of what I said, and I was speaking slower and perhaps more clearer than the guy in the video. Or... it wouldn't give me the correct answer. For example, I'm in Vancouver BC/Canada, and I asked what the weather is like right now in Los Angeles and it kept telling me the weather here in Vancouver But maybe later when they fix some issues.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

So my ROM has been de-bloated, got 4.2 camera/gallery and keyboard. I just clicked on photosphere and it works. I'll do one later. I'm also on stock JB launcher. Ummm thats about it for now.

Lightflow
speedemon90 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
N4 received yesterday. UPS left nearly $800 of stuff on my front step all day. Lucky me, it was still there when I got home.

N4 is a beast. Blows the galaxy nexus into the next galaxy. So far, none of the "problems" people have been reporting have surfaced on either of the phones I got (gotta take care of the wife too). This is one sexy phone and I can't believe it's an LG product. I NEVER would have considered LG if it hadn't been for Google supported software. Now my opinion has changed...LG may be an up and coming player now.

I bobbled it when picking it up this morning, no harm done, but boy is this thing slippery.

Tmobile speed test with my old GN was about 3-5 up 1 down. N4 gets 13-18 up 1.5 down.

The bumper case from google is awesome. The phone looks naked. I'm still using the factory screen/back protection until I can get ghost armor or similar.

Highly recommend this phone, and worth it to buy outright from Tmobile store for $500. Obviously $350 from Google is the better deal, but given the play store hiccups no telling when stock will be in.
CGFebTSX04 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

Was offline the whole day. Just catching up with the online world. Lol. Got a bunch of emails. Craziness. The app is called LightFlow:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xpZ2h0ZmxvdyJd
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AmberB
N4 received yesterday. UPS left nearly $800 of stuff on my front step all day. Lucky me, it was still there when I got home.

N4 is a beast. Blows the galaxy nexus into the next galaxy. So far, none of the "problems" people have been reporting have surfaced on either of the phones I got (gotta take care of the wife too). This is one sexy phone and I can't believe it's an LG product. I NEVER would have considered LG if it hadn't been for Google supported software. Now my opinion has changed...LG may be an up and coming player now.

I bobbled it when picking it up this morning, no harm done, but boy is this thing slippery.

Tmobile speed test with my old GN was about 3-5 up 1 down. N4 gets 13-18 up 1.5 down.

The bumper case from google is awesome. The phone looks naked. I'm still using the factory screen/back protection until I can get ghost armor or similar.

Highly recommend this phone, and worth it to buy outright from Tmobile store for $500. Obviously $350 from Google is the better deal, but given the play store hiccups no telling when stock will be in.
So jealous. Must hold onto my Galaxy Nexus until I/O.....Lol.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

they wont release a new nexus at I/O though??

I want the N4, but i'll be content with this GS3. Amazing camera, and its seriously fast. No hiccups at all
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

Bumper looks good:

Hopefully the third party bumpers will look as good and be cheaper. Lol.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

they wont release a new nexus at I/O though??

I want the N4, but i'll be content with this GS3. Amazing camera, and its seriously fast. No hiccups at all
Yeah but hopefully they drop the price like they did with the Galaxy Nexus. I'm actually contemplating on picking up an 8 GB because I don't use that much storage on my phone as it is but if the 16 GB drops to $300 and then a 32 GB gets released, I could wait on that.

And yeah, the GS3 is still an excellent phone. Hopefully, Samsung just releases the drivers and open sources their stuff and it should be futureproof for a while.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

is that what needs to be done for me to keep up??

Biggest feature i'm missing right now is expandable notifications, not sure why samsung didnt include that in their JB update.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the 4.2 Yakju update is out now:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...oad-available/

OTA straight from Google if you can't wait:

http://android.clients.google.com/pa...K.fdf06e8d.zip

Factory image:

https://developers.google.com/androi...es#yakjujop40c
is300eater (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Goodbye.

I think at I/O, they will announce a 32gb LTE version that works with AT&T and the rest of the world but not Verizon or Sprint. The question is whether to wait 6 months or jump into the upcoming Galaxy S4 and Sony BEAST early 2013.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I shoot people

got it, installing right now
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Suzuka Master

three times using photosphere, none turned out so great. Its hard haha. One was decent, my last one was horrible haha

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread