Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
haha no i actually didnt know that. I also didnt get into the android community till the nexus s. I had the iphone before my NS
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Yeah, Samsung was beyond atrocious with customer support and updates to their phones. People were swearing up and down that they would never ever buy a Samsung product ever again......cue a few years later and most of them own the GS3 now lol
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
yea i know, google needs to make their own hardware
Not gonna happen any time soon unless they wanna piss off the OEMs which is what almost happened when they bought Motorola and why even though they acquired Motorola you won't see a pure Nexus device. They did, however, restructure Motorola's products to be better streamlined and hit the upgrades faster for future devices. They toned down MotoBlur to almost stock and that's the farthest they'll go without stepping on the OEMs' toes. You saw the reaction that the OEMs took when Microsoft unveiled its Surface platform, the same thing would happen with Android and Google has less money to play with to crash and burn their relationships with OEMs right now.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Yeah, Samsung was beyond atrocious with customer support and updates to their phones. People were swearing up and down that they would never ever buy a Samsung product ever again......cue a few years later and most of them own the GS3 now lol
Yeah Samsung's Behold issues were pretty well known. They really messed up with that as they had promos saying it would get an upgrade to Eclair that never materialized. What made it worst was that Samsung had some of the best hardware but just couldn't update the software fast enough which is why they did so well with the Nexus program. They also did learn from their mistakes and started to contact XDA devs and members directly to see what they wanted and thus the reason they're out on top now.

Unfortunately, history seems to be repeating itself as their Exynos platform is not as open as their previous lines which is what the XDA community is up and arms about at the moment. They did say they would start open sourcing some of the stuff but a lot of the XDA devs are frustrated with the lack of documents and not recommending the Exynos versions of Samsung devices at the moment.

What's more interesting for me with all the leaks coming out is that all the devices coming out for Android have pretty much the same specs. Prior to this Nexus device, you had multiple devices with different CPUs/GPUs, Memory, etc. All of the leaked devices so far have the Qualcomm S4 Pros with the same Adreno 320 GPU and the same 2 GB of RAM. Now, maybe its a little too early to tell at the moment, but this would cut down on the fragmentation and implement faster updates for all devices. The only differentiating factors seem to be the Radios, Screen size, Camera sensors, and hardware designs. Of course, I'm simplifying all of this but its very interesting to see that maybe Google is telling manufacturers to stick to a platform and don't stray too far from it? Either way, if they stick close to the Nexus hardware, we should see faster updates for all devices coming out so far without them actually having to be a Nexus device...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

New Google Wallet in the works?

A new Google Wallet app is being made that's supposed to be cross-platform compatible:

Google has quietly updated the website for Google Wallet, its mobile-payments service, to advertise "the next version of Google Wallet, coming soon."

Visitors can request an invite. We did, and Google asked us what kind of device we used—offering a choice of iPhone, Android, or "other."
That suggests that Google is getting away from its earlier dependence on special hardware on Android phones and is looking to broaden Wallet's acceptance among consumers and merchants.

While Google ran a lot of ads on buses and billboards for Wallet, the mobile-payments service never appeared to take off with consumers—in part because it was limited to specific phones carried by Sprint and Virgin Mobile and relied on NFC, or near-field communications, a short-range wireless technology.

Google also offers a Web-based version of Wallet for online payments, including purchases of digital content and apps in the Google Play store. It has offered a similar service for years, previously under the name Google Checkout.

Osama Bedier, a former PayPal executive who now heads up Google's payments efforts, is speaking today at the Money2020 conference in Las Vegas, but he's not expected to unveil details of the new product today, a source tells us.
Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...g-soon-2012-10

You can sign up for the new app to be first in line when it releases here:

http://www.google.com/wallet/

Also, its not restricted to just Android devices. It asks you to sign in and say which device you're using. I'm not sure how they'll pull it off but I guess we'll find out soon. Probably a combination of NFC and Passport type payments.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yeah Samsung's Behold issues were pretty well known. They really messed up with that as they had promos saying it would get an upgrade to Eclair that never materialized. What made it worst was that Samsung had some of the best hardware but just couldn't update the software fast enough which is why they did so well with the Nexus program. They also did learn from their mistakes and started to contact XDA devs and members directly to see what they wanted and thus the reason they're out on top now.

Unfortunately, history seems to be repeating itself as their Exynos platform is not as open as their previous lines which is what the XDA community is up and arms about at the moment. They did say they would start open sourcing some of the stuff but a lot of the XDA devs are frustrated with the lack of documents and not recommending the Exynos versions of Samsung devices at the moment.

What's more interesting for me with all the leaks coming out is that all the devices coming out for Android have pretty much the same specs. Prior to this Nexus device, you had multiple devices with different CPUs/GPUs, Memory, etc. All of the leaked devices so far have the Qualcomm S4 Pros with the same Adreno 320 GPU and the same 2 GB of RAM. Now, maybe its a little too early to tell at the moment, but this would cut down on the fragmentation and implement faster updates for all devices. The only differentiating factors seem to be the Radios, Screen size, Camera sensors, and hardware designs. Of course, I'm simplifying all of this but its very interesting to see that maybe Google is telling manufacturers to stick to a platform and don't stray too far from it? Either way, if they stick close to the Nexus hardware, we should see faster updates for all devices coming out so far without them actually having to be a Nexus device...
Well, I highly doubt that Google is dictating which hardware chips to use, etc... but in a recent test by Pocketnow comparing the 3 main processors right now (Tegra 3, S4 Pro, and Exynos), the S4 Pro wins 98.6% of the tests in general. It is just clearly the best offering out of the current options, and manufacturers that do not create their own hardware will lean towards that.

Sadly, I don't see everything else being more controlled, but just slowing down in terms of improvements because while a certain manufacturer is building a 6.1 inch screen phone, everyone else is just settling in and finding the sweet spot. As for RAM, battery size, etc... I believe phone manufacturers realize that they don't need more and bigger numbers because there are other ways to optimize functionality through processors, software, alike.

I think when the Atrix came out with Tegra's dual-core processor, everyone thought we'd have Octo-core cpus by now. And I still blame Samsung for the crazy screen size increases over the year.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

^Yeah makes sense since Qualcomm and Samsung are the only ones with the new cortex A15s at the moment. TI is supposedly dropping out of the mobile market so I guess that puts a limit to what chipset the manufacturers can choose from. Qualcomm has been very good with open sourcing their stuff so its great that most leaked devices will be using them and they can always use the Nexus as a reference to build updates with if the manufacturers fail to release their udpates. The only hurdles would come down to the camera drivers, RIL, sound card and whatever other proprietary crap they include into their stuff.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Suzuka Master

haha
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Suzuka Master

I wanna see a comparo of the ipad mini and the nexus 7 from the verge soon...

gonna be interesting.

As speed goes i'm sure the N7 will keep up with the ipad. Battery life may go to the ipad.

Software i think N7 can take it or call it an even tie.

Apps, def will go to the ipad.

But price and thats the big one, will go to the N7. Basically is the ipad worth $130 more than the N7??? Assuming the 16gb will be dropping to $200. I'm gonna say no.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Safety Car

^I think the only real comparison needed would be the price realistically...It comes down to are you willing to pay the $130 premium? At $329, the iPad Mini no longer becomes an impulse buy in the same way the Nexus and Kindle Fire does. For only $70 more, you can get a full iPad which is only slightly bigger at 1.8" which kinda defeats the Mini tag IMO.

The app design gap is slowly getting narrower and narrower nowadays. You have to remember that the Android UI (Holo) guidelines didn't even exist until right after Ice Cream Sandwich and just this month they published a quality check for Tablet apps. Sure, Google should've done this a long time ago but the design disparity is slowly become less of an issue. Also, you have to take into account how Android handles different resolutions. Most people don't understand that apps are meant to change the way they look based on the ppi, amount of display space and a few other things. You can't simply directly compare two different platforms that try to solve multi resolutions in different ways. Both have their pros and benefits but its just the reality of both ecosystems.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
shit i wanna see a comparo between the ipad mini/nexus 7 and ipad/samsung galaxy nexus 10.1/microsoft surface
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
A new Google Wallet app is being made that's supposed to be cross-platform compatible:

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...g-soon-2012-10

You can sign up for the new app to be first in line when it releases here:

http://www.google.com/wallet/

Also, its not restricted to just Android devices. It asks you to sign in and say which device you're using. I'm not sure how they'll pull it off but I guess we'll find out soon. Probably a combination of NFC and Passport type payments.
I've tried to use Wallet on my Galaxy Nexus several times over the last four months and the experience is pretty bad. Most of the time, the transactions don't go through. I don't know why, but sometimes the stores have bad reception for the phone. If Wallet is going to replace my credit cards, the experience has to be 100% reliable.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Goodbye.

I think the ipad mini is a rip-off. For a higher price, you get a 2 year old outdated technology screen, 2 generations ago Apple tablet specs, and not a proper ereader like they suggest it could be. If you really want an Apple tablet that is not 10 inches, I would suggest waiting 7 months for the next generation of ipad minis like what they did with the ipad 3 and ipad 4.

p.s. The Verge is slowly returning back to their Apple biased ways that they used to do on Engadget. (example: they say that the Microsoft Surface is a lot thicker than the iPad.... yet facts show that it is only 0.1mm thicker. I don't know about you guys, but I can't even tell the difference of 0.1mm without a measuring tool).
Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM

^^^ thats how we feel about every apple product....
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F-C
I've tried to use Wallet on my Galaxy Nexus several times over the last four months and the experience is pretty bad. Most of the time, the transactions don't go through. I don't know why, but sometimes the stores have bad reception for the phone. If Wallet is going to replace my credit cards, the experience has to be 100% reliable.
I used it a while back and it worked fine for me. So maybe something else is the problem there, I couldnt see this thing need a lot of data.

I think the ipad mini is a rip-off. For a higher price, you get a 2 year old outdated technology screen, 2 generations ago Apple tablet specs, and not a proper ereader like they suggest it could be. If you really want an Apple tablet that is not 10 inches, I would suggest waiting 7 months for the next generation of ipad minis like what they did with the ipad 3 and ipad 4.

p.s. The Verge is slowly returning back to their Apple biased ways that they used to do on Engadget. (example: they say that the Microsoft Surface is a lot thicker than the iPad.... yet facts show that it is only 0.1mm thicker. I don't know about you guys, but I can't even tell the difference of 0.1mm without a measuring tool).
Nahh i still think they arent too biased, definitely not like engadget. They said feels thicker, not is thicker. And it could be that way since the surface is basically a rectangle slab. While the ipad is thinner at the edges and goes thicker inward. So you get the feeling its thinner.

Read the conclusion of the iphone review if you want, and it will show you that.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by F-C
Yeah I get what you mean but that isn't Google's problem more so with the store's. I've been to a few places where their PayPass weren't plugged in (You can tell cause it has a Green Light when its on) and the cashier or manager had no clue on how to turn it on. I've used it and currently still use it at McDonald's, Jack in the Box, a few gas stations around here and when I was in Michigan at the Meijer grocery stores which worked flawlessly every time.

But back to the new version. If they are bringng it to other platforms like iOS then maybe they have a plan to bypass the NFC feature which could be a fallback when the stores don't have their PayPass set up properly.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Goodbye.

I used it a while back and it worked fine for me. So maybe something else is the problem there, I couldnt see this thing need a lot of data.

Nahh i still think they arent too biased, definitely not like engadget. They said feels thicker, not is thicker. And it could be that way since the surface is basically a rectangle slab. While the ipad is thinner at the edges and goes thicker inward. So you get the feeling its thinner.

Read the conclusion of the iphone review if you want, and it will show you that.
I hope you know that the same people that used to write Apple-sided reviews on Engadget are the ones running The Verge today. I know they cleaned up well once they started the new site because there were many complains, but this recent Apple announcement sure has brought back some of their old ways.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

The Galaxy Note II is official for T-Mobile and the reviews are saying its great:

When first announced, the Galaxy Note II looked and felt very much like a supersized Galaxy S III with a slightly fancier stylus attached. After spending some quality time with it, I’ve come to the conclusion that that’s exactly what it is. And that’s a good, nay, a very good thing indeed. The S Pen has matured and improved in subtle but significant ways, while the GS III formula has only been upgraded with a larger battery and an even more generous screen size. At nearly 5 inches, Samsung’s flagship 2012 phone is already too big for a lot of people to comfortably use one-handed, so why should they not opt for the larger, but also more capable, Galaxy Note II?

Relative to its predecessor, the Galaxy Note II is a clear and unequivocal upgrade. It’s now more powerful, lasts even longer, and ships with the best software that Samsung has yet put on an Android device. It doesn’t feel as characterful or quirky as the original Galaxy Note, and it is indeed festooned with superfluous apps and software presets, but those are small hurdles you can either disable or avoid. The commercial success of the first Galaxy Note came as a surprise, however the same won’t be true of the Galaxy Note II. It represents the best possible marriage of the Note lineage and Samsung’s 2012 technology and is likely to cement the Korean company’s position as the premier Android device maker.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/34...note-ii-review

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...ir-killer-app/

Anandtech did some benchmarks showing off Samsung's Exynos 4412 against the iPhone 5 and the upcoming Qualcomm S4 Quadcore found in the LG Optimus G (same one as the LG Nexus without the bloated UI) so you can get an idea of what to expect on the upcoming LG Nexus.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/s...ew-t-mobile-/3

T-Mobile priced this pretty high up there but WireFly is selling it for $249 with a contract:

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/samsu...refly-friends/
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I hope you know that the same people that used to write Apple-sided reviews on Engadget are the ones running The Verge today. I know they cleaned up well once they started the new site because there were many complains, but this recent Apple announcement sure has brought back some of their old ways.
ohh no i know that, the people that left engadget started the verge or some of them did.

Wait till the android event comes up and lets see what they say!

They were excited at the last one IIRC
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

The Galaxy Note II is official for T-Mobile and the reviews are saying its great:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/34...note-ii-review

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...ir-killer-app/

Anandtech did some benchmarks showing off Samsung's Exynos 4412 against the iPhone 5 and the upcoming Qualcomm S4 Quadcore found in the LG Optimus G (same one as the LG Nexus without the bloated UI) so you can get an idea of what to expect on the upcoming LG Nexus.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/s...ew-t-mobile-/3

T-Mobile priced this pretty high up there but WireFly is selling it for $249 with a contract:

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/samsu...refly-friends/
I hope tmobile doesnt only rely on this and the SG3. Get that nexus!! This phones just too big for me to even consider, no matter how good it is.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 PM

on the note II....i wanna haz it when it comes out for ATT
Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Suzuka Master

man after reading that review, the note II is desirable. But damn it, the size!! I'll wait to see what tmobile does. If they arent getting the LG Nexus 4 and the unlocked version is $700 I'll just look into a GSIII or this phone. I dont think they have any other flagship phones right?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
on the note II....i wanna haz it when it comes out for ATT
Pre-orders are now live for both AT&T and Verizon:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...alaxy-note-ii/

$299 with contract coming out on November 9 for AT&T. Verizon is showing November 27 but has that ugly Verizon branding on the home button.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Safety Car

The new Samsung Galaxy S III ads are pretty funny and actually good:

Good job Samsung. Showing off what NFC can do and not jabbing at Apple like their other commercials.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 10-25-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

haha yea finally showing something relevant about the phone
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 AM

Pre-orders are now live for both AT&T and Verizon:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...alaxy-note-ii/

$299 with contract coming out on November 9 for AT&T. Verizon is showing November 27 but has that ugly Verizon branding on the home button.
i just got the note 5 months back

since my neighbor doesnt like the new samsung's design and likes my note, am convincing him to get the note II and i will give him the note 1 + cash

hope he follows through
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

good luck swoosh haha

man there was a lot of leaked stuff on the nexus 4 again. I'm done reading them now haha. Wanna have somewhat of a surprise, mainly whats in store for us in 4.2 for the announcement monday
Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Swiftkey Flow

Looks amazing. Combined with Swiftkey's word prediction I might have to use this. Swype is good but their word prediction sucks. Google is supposed to release a version of Swype into the stock keyboard in 4.2. Hopefully its as good as this or at least Swype's implementation.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 10-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
Can't wait to see what's in 4.2. Just got 4.1.2 on my GN last week, and it fixed some of the forced stops I've experienced over the last month.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
I've hopefully that SwiftKey Flow will be like Swype without the bugs. I LOVE Swype and love using it in front of my iPhone friends to rub it in their faces, but at times, it's a bit buggy, I use SwiftKey about 75% of the time now

Last edited by is300eater; 10-25-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM

swype works just fine on my note....and since the note is bigger, swype works even better
Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I shoot people

Yeah, I changed my post.. I have to admit, swype works fine on my Nexus 7, but buggy with the Galaxy Nexus
Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

Asus Padfone 2 Review

At a time when smartphones are becoming more and more similar, ASUS continues to inject real innovation and excitement into the market. The first Transformer Pad wasn't an instant hit, but what followed has helped ASUS establish a strong presence in the tablet market. We think the same will happen with the PadFone series. Merely half a year after the first attempt, its successor arrived right on time with all the best ingredients: a powerful and efficient quad-core processor, a powerful graphics engine, a large mobile display, best-in-class camera performance, LTE and a super-slick user experience. And that's just the phone alone!
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/25/a...fone-2-review/

I want this phone so bad. Why didn't Google go with Asus for the next Nexus? Also the updated specs show that it doesn't have the right 3G or LTE frequencies for any of the carriers in the US. So if you were to import this you'd only get EDGE speeds.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
man after reading that review, the note II is desirable. But damn it, the size!!
You know, it's not THAT big. Make a prototype and try it out.
You shouldn't think of it as an overly huge onehanded phone.
It's more of a pocketable two handed tablet that happens to have a 3g/4G antenna.

IMHO, if it doesn't comfortably fit where you currently carry your current phone, then you shouldn't buy it, period. And if you MUST use it one handed, then it is also outside consideration.

- Frank
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM
I shoot people

^^^ I'm kinda wishing I didn't have the Nexus 7, it would give me the excuse to get the Note II
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
It's more of a pocketable two handed tablet that happens to have a 3g/4G antenna.

IMHO, if it doesn't comfortably fit where you currently carry your current phone, then you shouldn't buy it, period. And if you MUST use it one handed, then it is also outside consideration.

- Frank
The Note 2 doesn't look that much bigger when next to the S3 (in pictures anyway).

But yeah, pocketing it will likely be in issue when I wear slim fitted pants.

Doesn't matter much since I always carry around a messenger bag... yep a "murse" pretty much.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko

- Frank
Its not that the one handed thing is an issue, i usually am using two hands anyway. One hand is just slow and i miss hit things.

But I've seen the note I and its just big. I'm sure its fine for all my pockets for sure. I dont have super skinny jeans with tight pockets, but its just holding it up to the face. I dunno if i can get used to that I'll probably check it out at a tmobile store. But $379.99 with 2 year contract is pricey. I'm sure a deal will come out eventually.

Last but not least, if I'm able to get the LG nexus I wont bother looking at other phones haha.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/25/a...fone-2-review/

I want this phone so bad. Why didn't Google go with Asus for the next Nexus? Also the updated specs show that it doesn't have the right 3G or LTE frequencies for any of the carriers in the US. So if you were to import this you'd only get EDGE speeds.
damn that sucks, that is a good phone. Did engadget really say best in class camera???? Comparing it to the iPhone?? They said somethings greater than the iphone, wow. Assuming the iphones in the same class

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread