Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Been wanting to try out the new BlackBerry lockscreen:

Download and info for CM10/AOKP:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1920609

I'm also looking for the Optimus G Lockscreen. I hope someone ports it.

EDIT: Found it. Lol.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=27873486
Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
So I've noticed that a few reviews for the Nexus devices already went up. The reason you haven't seen any from the main Android blogs like Android Police, Android Central, etc. is because the software that's currently on the phones right now isn't final. There's supposed to be an OTA update to fix a few bugs and finalized 4.2 which is also probably why it hasn't dropped into AOSP. With that said, take what you're reading with a grain of salt for now...
the verge has a review up.

To them, the phone is amazing except for one thing. Lack of LTE. Yea its true its a big one, especially for people that have experienced that speed. I havent and my carrier doesnt even have lte haha. At least we have the strongest HSPA+ market.

Joshua did say that 4.2 is the best mobile OS out there
Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

man this may be the first time i'm gonna have to get a case and stick with it haha

joshua during the review knocked it off his dining table and onto the hard wood floor and it cracked :/
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
man this may be the first time i'm gonna have to get a case and stick with it haha

joshua during the review knocked it off his dining table and onto the hard wood floor and it cracked :/
he has also broken tons of iphones together with his wife off that same dining table, FYI.

other reviewers have not broken their phones after it falling or slipping off their hands....... so. yeah.

I'm waiting on AC to get theirs up which should be in a few days because unlike most "reviewers", they actually test a phone for longer than 24 hours in order to get an accurate sample for battery life and overall usage in daily life.

Reading the Gizmodo review, this is a good little tidbit about using a Nexus 4 on AT&T's HSPA+21 network: "averaging 16Mbps downloads, and 2Mbps up".
I also noticed a lot of the early reviewers are all based out of New York, so the cell and data speeds/connection might have to account for that.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 11-02-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

lol you really have something against the verge.

Yea im sure other reviewers havent broken their phone. I'm sure he has broken many iphones. I'm just pointing out thats something I need to be more careful with. Having a phone consisting mainly of plastic had its advantages haha
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Yeah the glass back worries me a little but I baby my phones. I've only dropped my Nexus once accidentally and that was on carpet luckily so I'm not too worried yet. My girlfriend drops her 4S like no other (not as much as she did with her 3GS) and the glass hasn't broken yet. She is using a bumper like case, however, which is probably what I would use if I got the Nexus.

What bothers me is that these sites are reviewing the devices without mentioning that its not final software. Gizmodo did make the disclaimer but then why bother reviewing it right now and wait until the OTA drops which is supposedly a few days before release. According to XDA devs, there's quite a few dalvik optimization patches that haven't been included in the devices that are out there which is why the benchmarks show the Optimus G destroying benchmarks but the Nexus 4 is lagging behind when they have the same hardware.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It'll always come down to how comfortable are you waiting for updates and whether or not you'll be flashing custom ROMs? Samsung's current TouchWiz brings a lot of improvements over Vanilla Android which gives it its own definition of Android. For the most part, TouchWiz has a lot of useful stuff that Vanilla Android doesn't have especially when it comes to the S-Pen. Vanilla Android just can't touch that functionality at the moment

With that said, Nexus devices can be manipulated and different ROMs can be ported in any way you like. They'll always have the newest Google updates first and will have all the more cool new stuff first. Vanilla Android isn't for everyone though as its missing certain things that Skins cover like T9 Dialing, and other useful things. Of course, if you flash a custom ROM you can get those functionalities but not everyone is comfortable tweaking their phone.

So it comes down to how much you're gonna be spending time with your phone. If you're okay with Skinned Android and don't really care about modding, get the Note II. On the other hand, if you want to be up to date with the latest features Google puts out, have time to tinker with your phone and have the best developer community then get the Nexus.
nexus all the way
Thank you for the responses. I wanna see the Nexus4 in real life soon.
I root my phones but nothing too hardcore usually. I can wait for google updates but more custom roms do intrigue me.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Goodbye.

lol you really have something against the verge.

Yea im sure other reviewers havent broken their phone. I'm sure he has broken many iphones. I'm just pointing out thats something I need to be more careful with. Having a phone consisting mainly of plastic had its advantages haha
I don't...well I don't really. I loved the Verge from the beginning, followed them over from Engadget, but recently as in the past 2 weeks, they have really been teething the line between objective and subjective. I know every reviewer and person has his or her opinions, but when they started out all objective and then now suddenly start being subjective, there is a huge paradigm shift and lost trust that comes up. I feel uneasy about it and a bit sad, especially when it all moves towards a certain company whose stocks is falling really HARD this week on the market.

Take a look at Phil Nickinson from AC also commenting/correcting people that only ONE person has got a crack on their review unit (Joshua) and that it is too early to say that everyone will break theirs because there are not that many units out there in the wild yet, so it would be irresponsible to throw out a blanket statement that you will definitely break your phone.

I get your point, but just felt like making a clarification for others. Heck, I have an Otterbox, ZAGG maximum protection, and even a backup case for my plastic phone...... I'm just careful with it
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

So I decided to flash Paranoid Android onto my Galaxy Nexus with JusTunBean Inverted GApps, 4.2 Transformation pack and a mixture of Gnufabio's 4.2 fixes and of course Franco's latest nightly. Its running the 192 DPI mode with Per-App Color enabled (disabled by default):

Paranoid Android for GSM Galaxy Nexus:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1619582

JusTunBean Inverted GApps with AROMA Installer:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1797292

Android 4.2 Transformation Pack:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1969488

Gnufabio's DeskClock and Keyboard fixes (gives the correct black border around suggested word):

http://www.gnufabio.com/?p=195

Screenshots:

Android 4.2 Lockscreen (Notice the Clock font is longer):
09uRZ.png

4.2 Launcher (Its faster than Trebuchet Launcher. Looks like Google made some optimizations in 4.2.):

WeS5n.png GjcVz.png

Notification Bar (1st Tap, 2nd Tap):

nwhk5.png Cv5O0.png 2UKB2.png

^Notification Toggles changed to Holo layout (looks better IMO)

Demo of the Per-App Color (notice the status/notification bar color change. I also eyeballed the color for Instagram to match it):

icOt2.png Zjeu4.png 3WLmu.png bzHZg.png

^On Facebook, you can see how the Recent button is combined with the Menu Key. Short press = Recent key, Long press = Menu key.

Demo of Expanded Desktop (Activated by the Power Menu):

DylNq.png W9dVZ.png 4ipqQ.png

^The expanded desktop works all across the phone and can be enabled/disabled using the Power Menu so you can get the full 720p of the phone and all apps scale perfectly to it as they should. It works great with gesture control cause I can pinch to go Back or Home, etc.

So when I first flashed Paranoid Android yesterday, there were a few bugs with the Expanded Desktop and Per-App Color not changing back to default that are now fixed. The Per-App colors are all customizable inside the Paranoid Android settings and you can choose whatever colors you want the status bar to change into. There are already pre-set apps with modified colors like Facebook, Google+, Google Now, YouTube and a bunch of others.

The Inverted GApps work great with the AMOLED screen to save battery and its actually very nice when using the phone in low light as it doesn't blind you. Lots of different inverted GApps to choose from and you can mix and match with the AROMA installer. (Personally, I didn't like the inverted Calendar so I didn't removed it and replaced it with the one from the Play Store.)

So I'm gonna stick to Paranoid Android til a proper 4.2 drops. Really like the Tablet UI on the phone as its easier to navigate with the Back, Home and Recents all in one corner. Makes it a lot easier to use one handed.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-04-2012 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Oh also, the answer to the Google+ post regarding the TouchStone charger and LG Nexus is No. Unfortunately, the TouchStone charger won't work with the LG Nexus. Only chargers that use Qi will work:

One Nexus 4 question we're getting above all others (except perhaps how loud the speaker is) has to do with wireless charging. Namely, will it work with the Palm Touchstone?

Facts is facts -- with the demise of Palm, many a user has migrated to Android, and there are tons of the little hockey puck chargers just laying around. (And if you ever got to use one, you know how awesome it was.) Plus, you can pick one up on Amazon for just a couple bucks.

The sad news, though is that the Palm Touchstone does not work with the LG Nexus 4. For one thing, they use different charging mechanisms. The Nexus 4 uses Qi, where the Palm line of phones did not. For another thing, the Touchstone magnetically held the Pre/Pixi phones in place on the the charger -- kind of an important thing since the phones would rest at an angle. The Nexus 4 just slides right off the Touchstone. There's a little bit of a magnetic hold, but not enough to keep the phone in place. That'd be bad.

The good news is that Qi charging systems, which still not exactly mainstream, aren't exactly hard to come by. We last took a look at one back in the HTC ThunderBolt days, so they're certainly available.

Google says it will offer a Qi-standard wireless charging orb for the Nexus 4, but no pricing or avialability has been announced.
http://www.androidcentral.com/ask-ac...hstone-charger
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Goodbye.

Yeah, so my Nexus - Nokia Pillow idea is confirmed to be working lol. Though I don't really know if that's the best idea.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

finally running 4.1.2 JB on my Galaxy note....and I do like it...

what Launcher do you guys suggest I run? I like how you could create folders in ICS and it sucks that CM10 does not have that....

Thanks CG for all the directions....cudnt have done it without it !!!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I just want my N4!!!!!

I have the treubuchet launcher or whatever CM uses i think. I dunno haha
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
So now, Apple is suing Samsung for 4.1 Jelly Bean Why don't they go after Google? Too pussy? I really wish Google would just cut Apple off from Google search
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh

finally running 4.1.2 JB on my Galaxy note....and I do like it...

what Launcher do you guys suggest I run? I like how you could create folders in ICS and it sucks that CM10 does not have that....

Thanks CG for all the directions....cudnt have done it without it !!!
Glad you got it to work. Flashing custom ROMs should be a breeze now that you have CWM Recovery. I'm currently using the stock 4.2 launcher. The Trebuchet launcher (The one that comes standard in CM10) is pretty good as its based off stock and is more customizable than stock launcher. To create folders, drag the icons over each other or are you talking about a different folder?

ADW recently updated their launcher which I haven't tried yet but supposedly brings a lot of new cool features. Nova Prime and Apex Launcher are also pretty good alternative launchers.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by is300eater
So now, Apple is suing Samsung for 4.1 Jelly Bean Why don't they go after Google? Too pussy? I really wish Google would just cut Apple off from Google search
I'm guessing they're suing Samsung as a proxy to see if they'll win or not. Although it would be a totally different game if they did go straight after Google. Either way these patent lawsuits are getting tiring. I'm not sure what they're trying to gain considering the Galaxy Nexus has been discontinued now. They should be spending money on R&D instead of rehashing what's already out there.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM

didnt we all have this discussion couple pages back LOL
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Glad you got it to work. Flashing custom ROMs should be a breeze now that you have CWM Recovery. I'm currently using the stock 4.2 launcher. The Trebuchet launcher (The one that comes standard in CM10) is pretty good as its based off stock and is more customizable than stock launcher. To create folders, drag the icons over each other or are you talking about a different folder?

ADW recently updated their launcher which I haven't tried yet but supposedly brings a lot of new cool features. Nova Prime and Apex Launcher are also pretty good alternative launchers.
dude you have no idea the kind of shit i went thro to get this installed....

Did a Nandroid and then deleted everything....just the find the zip wont load...tried multiple times and downloaded the zip from multiple locations and nothing....

went to do a restore from my backup and the damn checksum wont match....luckily i had the nandroid on my phone as well so picked up the restore from there and got it restored....

downloaded the Rom manager touch mirror and boom i accepted the files which it wudnt the previous night....

now am in process of downloading all the apps again and will run the Titanium restore....

for the folders, when i long press on a app to drag it on top of the other, it takes the app to the home screen....so i want to get a launcher which will help me organize my shizz
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Goodbye.

Reviews of the Nexus 4 from AndroidCentral and AndroidPolice:

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-4-review

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...roid-deserves/
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Goodbye.

HOLY BALLSACKS!

This new Sony phone could have potentially been the Nexus 4...

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/07/sony...6603-pictured/
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
dude you have no idea the kind of shit i went thro to get this installed....

Did a Nandroid and then deleted everything....just the find the zip wont load...tried multiple times and downloaded the zip from multiple locations and nothing....

went to do a restore from my backup and the damn checksum wont match....luckily i had the nandroid on my phone as well so picked up the restore from there and got it restored....

downloaded the Rom manager touch mirror and boom i accepted the files which it wudnt the previous night....

now am in process of downloading all the apps again and will run the Titanium restore....

for the folders, when i long press on a app to drag it on top of the other, it takes the app to the home screen....so i want to get a launcher which will help me organize my shizz
In the future, if the checksum doesn't match (it happens), you can recreate it with the backup files you already have:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714114

Basically, you'll need to open up a terminal with the files on hand either on your phone or if you have ADB installed on your computer and run the following command:

adb shell
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/dateofbackupfoldername
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
Then restore the Nandroid.

Also, the latest Titanium Backup now allows you to create a zip file of your ROM which does exactly the same as an Nandroid and just today they added a way to create a zip file of all of your apps and data which you can flash immediately after flashing a custom ROM so you just sign in with your Google Account and all your apps will be ready to go.

I'm still not understanding your folder question. Are you trying to create folders inside the app launcher or on the desktop? On the desktop, you can create folders for sure with Trebuchet and stock launcher. If you want to create folders inside the app launcher, you will need another launcher like ADW or maybe Nova and Apex.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Another in-depth review to add is Computer World's:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...id_at_its_best

So it seems they're waiting for an OTA that's supposed to come in on the 11th to fix a few things. Probably the battery drain from the Camera and the Thermal Throttling issue.

Anandtech is also revising their benchmarks due to the bad numbers they were getting on their device which should be up soon on their site according to their reviewer:

LFscl.png

Apparently, Google set the Thermal throttler too strict that it slowed down the phone at medium heat. He ran the tests inside a freezer bag and noticed the scores above with a few other benchmarks they'll be posting up soon:

The whole point of running in the freezer was to prove to myself that Nexus 4 was thermal throttling. So there you go, it does.
https://twitter.com/nerdtalker/statu...94787466616832
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
HOLY BALLSACKS!

This new Sony phone could have potentially been the Nexus 4...

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/07/sony...6603-pictured/
Man Sony makes some nice looking phones. Hopefully, they get a chance at a Nexus some day. I hope they make a device that's bootloader unlocked and close to the specs of the current Nexus so porting ROMs wouldn't be so difficult.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Safety Car

Android Central's video review of the Nexus 4:

Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Safety Car

High-Resolution Photo Spheres:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10971...26855214083794

https://plus.google.com/photos/10971...29736469230178

https://plus.google.com/photos/10971...91339678230930

I wonder if there's a setting to change the quality cause my PhotoSpheres look compressed. Then again, I'm using a leaked Camera. Lol.

Also, the Photospheres are viewable on the phone and on your computer. They're regular .jpgs. Unfortunately, if you don't view them on Google+ (on your computer) or in Panorama Mode on your phone, they look like stretched out Panorama shots. Someone created an app that views these files on the computer but I couldn't figure it out.

http://theultralinx.com/2012/11/deve...l-release.html

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-07-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Goodbye.

Man Sony makes some nice looking phones. Hopefully, they get a chance at a Nexus some day. I hope they make a device that's bootloader unlocked and close to the specs of the current Nexus so porting ROMs wouldn't be so difficult.
Sony has been very developer friendly, so that's not a problem.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Suzuka Master

AP had a nice review of the phone.

They only got 2hr and 40min on screen time with a 12-14 hours of battery life. That seems kinda low to me.

With google delving deeper into our lives, they need to find better ways to keep their OS running more efficiently. Hope they are able too. Still its better battery life than i have now, so i'm completely fine with it.

Good review though! I'm excited, cant wait for this phone
Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

so what do you guys think they can introduce in keylime pie?? I'm hoping turning on wifi/bluetooth with google now. But I really cant think of anything else to expect other than the minor performance tweaks. Possibly better battery life.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Goodbye.

They only got 2hr and 40min on screen time with a 12-14 hours of battery life. That seems kinda low to me.

With google delving deeper into our lives, they need to find better ways to keep their OS running more efficiently. Hope they are able too. Still its better battery life than i have now, so i'm completely fine with it.

I believe AC got about 5 hours on screen time with 15-18 hrs battery life. We'll not know the true numbers until the promised OTA comes out November 11.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

Some people were saying there was a wake lock from the Camera app that prevented the phone from getting deep sleep. I'm guessing this is why there's a discrepancy with all the battery lives. An OTA should fix the battery issues and a kernel would definitely help so I'm not worried.

so what do you guys think they can introduce in keylime pie?? I'm hoping turning on wifi/bluetooth with google now. But I really cant think of anything else to expect other than the minor performance tweaks. Possibly better battery life.
I hope they unify GTalk, Google Voice and Google Messenger into one app by Key Lime Pie. They did mention that they've started to do it and on the desktop they did by combing Google+ hangouts and GTalk so maybe its coming to the phones in KLP. I hope they do cause then we can get a native universal group messenger across all platforms instead of installing whatsapp, viber, and all those other ones. It also makes sense as it would push people to join Google+ just to use it which they've been pushing people to join so long as you have a Gmail account even if you don't use the network.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Anyone has a new Note 2?

I'm thinking of getting it for me and my wife.

Good choice? We are on VZW.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Double tap to select which app to open with the Android intent in Android 4.2:

Pretty useful new addition. The new implementation took some time getting used to but I prefer it now. If you want to go back to pre-Jelly Bean intent system you can do so with the following app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.anyro.picker
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Anyone has a new Note 2?

I'm thinking of getting it for me and my wife.

Good choice? We are on VZW.
Lots of good reviews out there on the device. It'll come down to how big is too big for your and your wife. If you don't use the phone to talk that much then its an excellent device as its quite huge to put next to your ear. Easily solved with a bluetooth headset but could be an inconvenience. Also, Verizon is pasting its logo onto the home button for whatever reason. Some people are selling stickers to go over it. Lol.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/10...one-to-launch/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-ALUMIN...-/121002308301

Cooler designs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Bathing-Ap...item3a7b1f204f
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Sooo........................IT'S THAT TIME FOR ME!

My contract is up!

Question is, do you guys know how much Nexus 4 will be with a contract?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
not cheap enough to lock yourself into another contract.

rumored to be $200 on contract. Retail is $300/$350 via google.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by demons rage
not cheap enough to lock yourself into another contract.

rumored to be $200 on contract. Retail is $300/$350 via google.
That's why I asked cause if I can buy it for $300, I'd rather do that than re-up.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
May have missed it but on Black Friday Best Buy will have S3's for $50 on contract with Sprint.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
May have missed it but on Black Friday Best Buy will have S3's for $50 on contract with Sprint.
Sam's Club will have it for $0.96. Not sure which carriers though but might be something to keep an eye on.

http://bfads.net/Ad/Sams-Club-2012
Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Just thought i'd share this video of Samsung GS3 Androind 4.04 vs 4.1. 4.1 has a nice speed advantage. I cant wait for my EVO 4G LTE to get 4.1/4.2 withe Sense 4.x.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=V5E5revikUU
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Goodbye.

The Nokia Lumia 920 looks so goooooood!

Really wished it had Android on it, but WP8 is quite enticing. Not to mention the 920's camera in low light beats every single thing out there right now. It makes taking pictures in the dark look like you took that picture in the day.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread