Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
haha see my problem is, when i get bored in class i go on my phone. Which means i'm on it a lot haha. Going between fb, chrome, flipboard, texting. So my guess is i do a lot on my phone, no way am i getting a day. Not to mention, my apt has zero signal most of the time. Sometimes i pull up a bar. So that also makes my phone battery die quicker...

I text a lot too
Same here. On a typical charge my screen on time is about 4-5hrs. When the screen itself is off, Im usually listening to music, either from internal storage or streaming.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Oh, my friend got this lovely text from Tmobile today

Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The funny (sad) thing is, that's about what my data speed is normally on Sprint. At home at least, I get a whopping .77mb/s at work. It used to be much faster before Sprint started offering iPhones.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Yeah the car seems to be a logical place to use it - to activate bluetooth for me. And I've had the nfc option enabled since day 1 and my S3 battery life has been perfectly fine as well.

As for the security screen, I've personally moved away from locking my phone since random people always want to use it (friends/family) to look up crap or play some games on it. Got tired of having to constantly unlock it.

Now I use the "App Lock" app and lock certain apps that have personal info (Gmail/Email, Facebook, GTalk, Playstore, and anything requiring root, etc). Although it is annoying since changing phone settings requires you to unlock at almost every sub selection.
You could use Android Beam to beam websites and other apps that support it between devices that have NFC. In JB, Google allows you to transfer pictures and videos via NFC. It creates a Bluetooth connection between the devices to do it so its a little slow but works great when you don't have a computer to transfer the files with and don't want to mess with emails. There are a few apps in the Play store that'll allow you to transfer any file via NFC using WiFi Direct but the app has to be installed on both devices and it takes a few more steps than just tapping the two devices together.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 10-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Safety Car

Sony released their PlayStation Mobile Store on select Sony devices today. If you have root you can install it as well:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...rooted-device/

Instructions and download files are found above.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Throttling is bad...i got throttled 3 months back....the data speeds were slow as fawk !!!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Just got an HTC EVO after suffering for the last 2 years with a BB Style. Loving it. Any tips, tricks, must have's you guys would recommend?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
i dont understand how you guys use that much data haha. I dont think i've gone over 1gb more than a handful of times.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg
Just got an HTC EVO after suffering for the last 2 years with a BB Style. Loving it. Any tips, tricks, must have's you guys would recommend?
Nice. That's the Sprint equivalent of my Fiance's HTC One X (AT&T variant).

My first suggestion is to disable any carrier bloatware - don't know if Sprint has anything like that, but AT&T has all these stupid processes that automatically start up like AT&T contacts sync.

Other than that, you can root/unlock and put on custom roms, something that I'm currently holding off on my S3 and her One X since Jelly Bean is imminent for both of those devices (and most likely yours as well).
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
i dont understand how you guys use that much data haha. I dont think i've gone over 1gb more than a handful of times.
i constantly use 4-5GB every month....I have my wifi turned off....

ATT 4G LTE offers me ~12-15MPBS download speed which is more than my home wifi....so yeah....i recently set a data usage reminder on my phone for 4.5GB....so if i hit 4.5GB with 20 days, i turn my wifi on, but if i hit 4.5GB on the 26th or the 27th day then i just leave wifi off
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

ahh i see, i'm still on 3g lol so i'm using wifi over my network when i get the chance.

Also wow...

edit: i just got trolled
The rumor mill churns and, having churned, moves on. The big story today is that according to sources familiar with the matter, reports have leaked that lead us to believe that an employee who asked to not be named has told Digitimes that sources say the next Nexus may have already been patented by Apple as the subject of the latest lawsuit to come out of Cupertino.
According to the sources, LG, HTC, and Samsung are all working on their own Key Lime Pie-based variants of the Nexus Google Experience Galaxy 10 7 4G LTE series. Early reports peg these devices as being faster than the old versions and also thinner, and probably bigger, but definitely expensive. The three companies are working with Google on this single, joint-venture Nexus device, confirming that the multiple Nexus rumors were both true and false at the same time. We've obtained an exclusive slide revealing this device for the first time:

In a preemptive move, however, Apple has filed suit against HTC, LG, Samsung, Google and you. Among the patents asserted by the Cupertino company is one covering the use of NFC in the device. Apple claims that "We work hard to innovate and push the boundaries on consumer technology. We can't abide other companies coming in ahead of us and stealing our ideas before we have the chance to bring them to market because we don't think the world is ready for them yet."
Google has stepped in to defend its partners' innovations, stating that "We do not believe that litigation is the best way to move technology forward. Seeing lawsuits pop up before devices are even released should be more than enough proof that our patent system needs reform." When asked what, if anything the company would be doing to fight back in the legal battles, Google said, "We've formed an alliance of over a dozen carriers and manufacturers to ensure that counter-suits are delivered in a timely fashion and will be supported for up to 18 months." When asked for details on this alliance, the Google rep seemed to have completely forgotten the program existed.
Apple, in a rare display of transparency, commented on the new patent lawsuit, describing it as "magical" and "revolutionary." Said Tim Cook, "This is the most beautiful lawsuit we've ever released. It's twice as fast as our previous lawsuits, and the subpoena we served Samsung was carved out of pure sapphire."

Last edited by speedemon90; 10-04-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Its basically a fact now that the LG optimus G is releasing a nexus device. But this report talks about a nexus program that says that any manuf. can make a nexus device given they meet certain (strict?) requirements. Now I really hope one of these include rolling out every update... or else i dunno if i'd trust LG. But this LG phone does look better than what I initially thought. I'd just need to make sure it fits comfortably in my hand.

That's right, we're finally jumping on the rumor train for the next Nexus phone(s?). Today, Android and Me published an article with a rather detailed rumor stemming from a "regular source who has provided accurate information in the past."
Given their confidence, and the specificity of their assertions, we're inclined to put some stock in them. So, what is the rumor? Let me break it down for you.
First, the Optimus G is going to be a Nexus phone. But it's not going to be the only one. According to A&M's source, the annual Nexus flagship program is being dismantled in favor of a more open model. Manufacturers won't have to compete to be the next Nexus phone, they'll just have to meet some rigorous hardware and various other requirements in order to slap the Nexus name on a phone. This falls in line with what we heard from The Wall Street Journal way back in May about multiple Nexuses.
One such requirement is 64MB of dedicated, secure storage for media streaming. This is, presumably, to keep Google's content providers on the Play Store happy. Limited custom UI overlays will be allowed, but they will fall into a "customization center," that will act as a theme manager. Presumably, you'll be able to go between stock Android and a custom overlay if you so choose. There will be additional hardware requirements (no microSD slot?), but no more specifics have been provided.
There are also no details about how much control Google would retain over OTA updates, but given that it could see the number of devices it has to maintain expand rapidly, there will obviously need to be either, A.) more manufacturer involvement, or B.) more AOSP device maintainers at Google. But back to the rumor about Optimus G.

The name of the LG Optimus G Nexus phone will be... The LG Optimus G Nexus. No, seriously. That is what A&M's source is currently saying. Yeah. We're assuming the Nexus program will allow manufacturers to choose the name of their Nexus phone, though, and LG doesn't exactly have a great track record for catchy ones. I definitely wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility.
As for the next version of Android, A&M and their source confirm what we too have seen our own server traffic logs: Android 4.2. The name of the release, though, is apparently a point of some contention - it may still be Jelly Bean, it may be Key Lime Pie. (I'd like to take this time to remind everyone at this time that I will, as promised, 100% for-real, smash a Key Lime Pie in my face if the "K" version of Android is not called Key Lime Pie. I might even do it if it's Jelly Bean. We'll see.)
On the far more uncertain side of things, A&M's source is claiming we'll see Android 5.0 next fall (2013), but given that we know Google's versioning system is pretty non-committal up until a new release nears public availability, I'm not going to put too many eggs in that particular basket.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...ation-program/
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Drifting

If you wanna root anytime soon, don't take the OTA if you're on 1.22.651.3 or earlier (software version). The newer OTAs will lock you out from rooting. If you haven't then you can root and update to the newest software from XDA.

Last edited by zguy95135; 10-04-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

flipboard and the pulse app are great news apps. Pulse is probably better but i like reading on flipboard better

any apps you're interested in?? If anything go to the play store and just look at the top free and top paid, those are generally the apps i have (top free) haha and some others.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
I already did the OTA update as soon as I got the phone home. I don't know how much desire I have to root the phone anyway. It seems pretty awesome right out of the box.

If I can update/upgrade to Jellybean, how is that done?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

I already did the OTA update as soon as I got the phone home. I don't know how much desire I have to root the phone anyway. It seems pretty awesome right out of the box.

If I can update/upgrade to Jellybean, how is that done?
You would need to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery such as CWM. Root would be optional if you were just going to flash a custom ROM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
FYI, great deal on SanDisk 64GB UHS-1 (C10) microSDXC card from Radio Shack, $39.99. Deal is good through 11/24, but they are currently sold out online. Your local RS may have them in stock.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=13239498
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
one of my student workers did this earlier this week from a sitting position, probably 2 ft tops:

i have to say it's pretty terrible at taking a small drop without a case..

seems like if the plastic edge around the glass is deformed even at the slightest the glass instantly cracks. Case is absolutely required for the gnex and the S3. I've dropped mine several times with a diztronic case w/o issues.

Last edited by ez12a; 10-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Drifting

All it takes it to hit the ground at the right angle and that'll happen. It can survive a 10ft drop onto concrete or shatter on a 2ft fall. Glass breaks really easy when hit on the side, and all these new phones have such tiny bezels that the glass takes a lot of the force when landing on the corner.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

My Galaxy Nexus got flagged for using the $10 Family MediaNet unlimited data plan. It looks like AT&T is updating their IMEI database as a bunch of people with the Nexus and S3's got flagged this morning. It was a good two and a half years run. They're forcing me to update it to the $30 3 GB Plan. I don't care so much for the unlimited (I average at around 700 MB of usage per month), its the cost that's so expensive. I wish that unlimited data for $30 iPhone loophole was still around then at least the $30 would be worth it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Suzuka Master

damn that sucks

and as for the cracked screen mattg is right, its all about how it falls. My screen cracked from maybe a 3ft drop, but i'be dropped it from my hands plenty of times thats probably around 5ft without more than scuffs. Its all about the angle it falls at.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

damn that sucks

and as for the cracked screen mattg is right, its all about how it falls. My screen cracked from maybe a 3ft drop, but i'be dropped it from my hands plenty of times thats probably around 5ft without more than scuffs. Its all about the angle it falls at.
I called them to put me back on the MediaNet plan but the lady on the phone said that it was most likely going to get flagged again once I put my sim card on the Nexus and once that happens they can't place me back on it. Yesterday I was using my HTC Ion running Donut lol. Edge speeds were driving me crazy so I put it in my Galaxy S and so far it hasn't triggered it yet. So for now, I'm back to the medianet plan but once I pop that sim back in then that's it.

Yeah that's why those drop tests don't make sense. Too many variables to consider whether a phone will survive the drop or not.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
My Galaxy Nexus got flagged for using the $10 Family MediaNet unlimited data plan. It looks like AT&T is updating their IMEI database as a bunch of people with the Nexus and S3's got flagged this morning. It was a good two and a half years run. They're forcing me to update it to the $30 3 GB Plan. I don't care so much for the unlimited (I average at around 700 MB of usage per month), its the cost that's so expensive. I wish that unlimited data for $30 iPhone loophole was still around then at least the $30 would be worth it.
Damn dude, even $30 a month is freakin cheap. I have a discount with Sprint and pay $55 a month
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
I called them to put me back on the MediaNet plan but the lady on the phone said that it was most likely going to get flagged again once I put my sim card on the Nexus and once that happens they can't place me back on it. Yesterday I was using my HTC Ion running Donut lol. Edge speeds were driving me crazy so I put it in my Galaxy S and so far it hasn't triggered it yet. So for now, I'm back to the medianet plan but once I pop that sim back in then that's it.

Yeah that's why those drop tests don't make sense. Too many variables to consider whether a phone will survive the drop or not.
Good thing the new Nexus lineup is coming soon so you can transfer and hold on until the next IMEI refresh
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zguy95135
Damn dude, even $30 a month is freakin cheap. I have a discount with Sprint and pay $55 a month
Yeah that would be a significant increase...

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Good thing the new Nexus lineup is coming soon so you can transfer and hold on until the next IMEI refresh
Lol. That's what I was thinking. Maybe its a sign I that I should upgrade.

I'm gonna try to hold off on upgrading til next I/O and hope they slash the prices in half so I probably won't be holding on to the MediaNet plan since I'll probably get flagged again any way. But $10 unlimited vs. $30 for 3GB is such a big difference. Maybe they won't close the loophole and you can give them an IMEI of a dumbphone and get the Medianet plan again in the future but probably not.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

For future reference, here's a list of phones that currently work with the MediaNet plan:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1446373

The list is dynamic as AT&T scrubs IMEI numbers. Usually they tag the phones they sell which is why its weird they're tagging the Nexus since they don't sell them directly.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

$10 medianet? What's that? I've been paying ATT $30 bucks each for my line and my fiance's line for unlimited data for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted by zguy95135
Yeah, but doesn't Sprint include text messaging for $55? Cause I have to pay an additional $30 (I'm already paying $30 x 2 for data on each phone) for a family unlimited texting plan.

Also, S3's are particularly fragile and won't survive most drops. It makes sense because the bezel uses very light plastic - my one complaint about Samsung's latest phones are that they feel cheap (as compared to Motorola phones).

Edit: NVM. I see that medianet is data for "dumbphones".... I didn't even know you could do that by using a phone with an IMEI that's untagged in ATT's database...

Last edited by BraveDemon; 10-05-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

$10 medianet? What's that? I've been paying ATT $30 bucks each for my line and my fiance's line for unlimited data for as long as I can remember.

Edit: NVM. I see that medianet is data for "dumbphones".... I didn't even know you could do that by using a phone with an IMEI that's untagged in ATT's database...
Yeah you would need to add the $30 unlimited texting and calling to any mobile. The MediaNet plan would be an additional $10 for unlimited internet for a family plan. ($15 for individual plan) Internet speeds are lowest priority on AT&T's network but they're fast enough. I get any where from 1 Mbps to 6 Mbps depending on the location.

If you want to get faster priority, you need to get on the the Smartphone "4G" plan and even the "LTE" plan which cost the same amount but uses different APN login (Phone and PTA, correspondingly). On the MediaNet plan (Uses the wap.cingular APN) you can connect to the "4G" plan but you'll be capped to about 7 Mbps and beat out by other phones in a congested area on higher plans. Not a problem if you're not in a busy area and most busy areas other phones can't connect any way.

I've been using it for two and a half years so I guess its time to pay up not that I ever abused it cause I was scared they'd find out. In hindsight, I should've used it more. Oh well.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Did anyone else watch Dateline's interview with Mark Zuckerberg last night? When the topic of Apple/iPhone was brought up, he said that Tim Cook personally sent him an iPhone 5, so Matt Lauer asked him something like... "...so you use the iPhone? " and MZ hesitated to answer, basically implying No... He then went on to say that the Facebook app is used by more Android phones... I thought that was kinda cool
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Im sure he has a few of each for testing, etc
Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Im sure he has a few of each for testing, etc
I read somewhere that he made all the employees use Androids, not necessarily because he thinks it's better but I guess because the FB app for Android sucked sooo bad at one time that he wanted them to experience it and make it better
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater
Did anyone else watch Dateline's interview with Mark Zuckerberg last night? When the topic of Apple/iPhone was brought up, he said that Tim Cook personally sent him an iPhone 5, so Matt Lauer asked him something like... "...so you use the iPhone? " and MZ hesitated to answer, basically implying No... He then went on to say that the Facebook app is used by more Android phones... I thought that was kinda cool
There was a story about how he forced his devs to run Android phones so they can see how shitty the app was.

EDIT - Damnit, IS beat me to it.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ In all fairness though, the first iterations of the Facebook App for android was effing terrible...
Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
I shoot people

^ In all fairness though, the first iterations of the Facebook App for android was effing terrible...
True, but at the same time, my gf, who has an iPhone didn't have much nice things to say about the iPhone FB app either. It has gotten better (on both), but still... IMO, the app still lacks a few things (and again, I'm speaking for both)
Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Anyone in this thread ever get caught using FoxFi (free wifi tether)?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

Anyone in this thread ever get caught using FoxFi (free wifi tether)?
I've always used the built-in WiFi tethering app on my phones but never went over 1 GB so it probably never triggered anything for them. If you really want to be safe, try out ClockworkMod Tether (14 day trial):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YS50ZXRoZXIiXQ..

Its different from the other methods because:

It functions as a proxy, and not as a NAT/masquerade solution that other tether solutions use. Though carriers can still check for http user agent string, but I have an idea to work around that. They typically check the TTL for desktop values. All usual carrier data charges and quotas will apply, but you will not need a separate tethering plan.
I don't think its available with WiFi tethering though. FoxFi is good for non-rooted phones that want the WiFi tethering as most require a rooted phone.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by is300eater
True, but at the same time, my gf, who has an iPhone didn't have much nice things to say about the iPhone FB app either. It has gotten better (on both), but still... IMO, the app still lacks a few things (and again, I'm speaking for both)
yea but the iPhone got a native FB app now, and supposedly its much faster. We still dont have that, supposed to be getting it soon. When FB finally releases that for us, expect it to be just a lot faster/smoother.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

MoDaCo founder Paul O'Brien has just released details on the purported LG Nexus, which he says came from a source he trusts "101 percent." The smartphone will be released in mid-November and is based on the flagship Optimus G, but the device will not look the same as LG's. The leaked specs include a 1280x768 "True-HD" IPS screen, quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor, and 2GB of RAM. It will also have a sealed, non-removable battery and, initially at least, either 8GB or 16GB of internal storage with no microSD expansion. Although MoDaCo doesn't say how large the LG Nexus' screen might be, if it's based on the Optimus G 4.7-inches would be a good guess.

Aside from a spec sheet that's among the best on the market, a big selling point for Google seems to be wireless charging out of the box — a feature that's never been found in a Nexus device in the past. O'Brien says it's not clear if the device will be the only Nexus to be released, or one of many, but with the supposed release date little more than a month away, we shouldn't have too long a wait to find out.

Update: More details are slowly starting to emerge, with CNET reporting that the LG Nexus will be officially announced at the end of October.
has there ever been a reason why Nexus devices have no expandable SD cards?? Anyway kinda excited for this phone! Those stats are worthy
Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

yea but the iPhone got a native FB app now, and supposedly its much faster. We still dont have that, supposed to be getting it soon. When FB finally releases that for us, expect it to be just a lot faster/smoother.
The director of Mobile Engineering is a Redditor and answers questions regarding the Facebook app on there. This is what he had to say a month ago when the Native app released for the iPhone:

There are things in the Android app that aren't in the iOS one, like multi-upload, mentions in comments and posts, and event creation. And between the release of version 1.9 for Android and 5.0 for iOS, the Android app was faster on equivalent hardware (though not by as dramatic an amount as the iOS app has jumped now).

I oscillate between an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy Nexus, so I actually experience both apps pretty deeply. I suspect most people who talk about the platform gaps do not, but when you're dissatisfied with an app the grass will obviously look greener. Especially when the schedules line up such that the "other guys" got a big jump first.

Updates faster is wrong in a hysterical way. iOS released twice this year: 4.1.1 in March, and 5.0 in August. Android has released 8 times since April, 6 if you don't count hotfixes; it'll continue to be a faster cycle for some time, ignoring hotfixes. But again, most people don't use both, so they don't really keep track.

I've discussed the "looks like an iOS app" thing elsewhere, as have others, so you'll forgive me for not repeating. I have to board a flight in 20 mins and I'd like to write a couple more replies...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...bwim?context=3

You can read all of his comments on Reddit which are pretty interesting:

http://www.reddit.com/user/shaver

And no, Facebook never forced their employees to use Android devices. They created a program that gave them incentives to use Android devices but they never forced them to use them according to the guy.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Safety Car

has there ever been a reason why Nexus devices have no expandable SD cards?? Anyway kinda excited for this phone! Those stats are worthy
Security security security. I forget where Google mentioned it but it has to do with the External SD Card as being the weakest link when it comes to security of a mobile device. Google is trying to push into enterprise services and if you have a phone with a big weakness such as that, you'd never make it in there. Even JB has a Developer setting that prevents apps from accessing external SD Card info which you can tell the direction that they're going at. Sucks but that's one tradeoff I guess. Most of the OEMs that have External SD Slots hack it onto Android. I hope they start making 32 GB internals standard the next few months.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread