Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Yeah, the extra cable is annoying. The iSimple could take an aux input, but wouldn't I lose the ability to change tracks via the steering wheel? That's the biggest drawback I can see.
Yes you would. Although there may be some apps that can do it using a remote but I've never dealt with that. And luckily most of the widgets on Android point straight to the most common controls so it hasn't been too much of a bother for me and I use Pandora almost every day.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Yeah, the extra cable is annoying. The iSimple could take an aux input, but wouldn't I lose the ability to change tracks via the steering wheel? That's the biggest drawback I can see.
with the BT controller I have, I can use it to answer the phone, redial my last call, control the volume, change tracks forward and backwards and pause the music.... it is on my sun visor... Jabra Cruiser... and it pauses the music or video for my calls...

as far as the aux jack, I use that too... gives me much better sound quality... but youre so rite... the control all falls onto the phone then...

...basically... car makers and the aftermarket have to recognize that AD is here and peeps are gonna need some cool interfaces to make it all work in their rides... Apple isnt going anywhere, but there are alot of people on the fence.. I say this because I really thought I would use an itouch or ipod in my new car, but my AD phone does it all, so there was no need for another device.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yes you would. Although there may be some apps that can do it using a remote but I've never dealt with that. And luckily most of the widgets on Android point straight to the most common controls so it hasn't been too much of a bother for me and I use Pandora almost every day.
my music player on my EVO hooked up with my Cruiser's controls without me doing anything at all...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

Maybe my 04 TSX is outdated.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,256 Likes on 6,215 Posts
I made my brother get a Nexus One because he didn't want an iPhone. he's been kinda indifferent about it, some programs refuse to open like his camera and gallery app, there's no way to uninstall the Facebook app (without rooting). Sometimes the screen on his N1 turns on without touching it at all and won't turn off by itself, so if he doesn't notice then it can really kill his battery life. 3G coverage on tmobile is pretty crappy, WAAAAAAAY worse than AT&T is around here (AT&T is actually pretty good) so phone is always switching from edge to 3g and back to edge again. Kinda frustrating for him, I didn't think t-mobile would be this bad.

Now that Gingerbread is finally coming to the N1 I don't want to wait for the OTA update, I'd rather do it myself manually. Anyone got a DL link for it yet? I really hope it helps. he doesn't seem to psyched about his N1. I have to remind him that he has/had the best Android phone out there, he doesn't really seem convinced it's so great. I feel kinda guilty that the N1 hasn't worked out so well for him but honestly anything else on t-mobile at the time would've been worse sooo.....

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 02-23-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

Sounds like the phone needs a factory reset more than anything. I would just root that phone and install Cyanogenmod already. They've released their version of Gingerbread a few days ago already for the Nexus One. The official one will probably be there by tomorrow at the latest and I'm sure Cyanogen and his team will incorporate whatever new patches they think are necessary but you won't miss much from the official build since they base theirs off the same codes.

As far as the poor reception thing with T-Mobile, XDA has had a hack for Wifi calling with the Nexus One as far back as November and should work with the latest Cyanogenmod as well. It won't fix 3G reception but at least he'll be able to make calls through Wifi in crappy reception areas.

http://www.androidcentral.com/wifi-c...-cyanogenmod-7
Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I made my brother get a Nexus One because he didn't want an iPhone. he's been kinda indifferent about it, some programs refuse to open like his camera and gallery app, there's no way to uninstall the Facebook app (without rooting). Sometimes the screen on his N1 turns on without touching it at all and won't turn off by itself, so if he doesn't notice then it can really kill his battery life. 3G coverage on tmobile is pretty crappy, WAAAAAAAY worse than AT&T is around here (AT&T is actually pretty good) so phone is always switching from edge to 3g and back to edge again. Kinda frustrating for him, I didn't think t-mobile would be this bad.

Now that Gingerbread is finally coming to the N1 I don't want to wait for the OTA update, I'd rather do it myself manually. Anyone got a DL link for it yet? I really hope it helps. he doesn't seem to psyched about his N1. I have to remind him that he has/had the best Android phone out there, he doesn't really seem convinced it's so great. I feel kinda guilty that the N1 hasn't worked out so well for him but honestly anything else on t-mobile at the time would've been worse sooo.....
My brother is with T-Mo and has a Samsung Galaxy S and he's still got android 2.1. He's wanting flash 10.1 bad like my EVO 4G Looks like T-Mo is slow to send OTA upgrades...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 AM

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,986 Posts

didnt suggest the Nexus S?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
My brother is with T-Mo and has a Samsung Galaxy S and he's still got android 2.1. He's wanting flash 10.1 bad like my EVO 4G Looks like T-Mo is slow to send OTA upgrades...
But the Vibrant already received Froyo 2.2. It came out last month. Its not being done OTA though its done through Mini Kies and works only with Windows 32-bit computers. (I believe there's a way to make it work with Macs but I don't remember). More info here:

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Samsun...ow/td-p/678871

Besides, the official one, the Vibrant's had Froyo since November/December. The hold up seems the be the US cell phone companies because the European countries got them officially in November and December.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Mizouse
didnt suggest the Nexus S?
This was way before the S was ever announced back when they were selling the N1. It was around the time the Incredible was launched and before the Evo. That seems so long ago but was only around May 2010.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 02-23-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 AM

Maybe my 04 TSX is outdated.
LOL...my car is a freakin 1999 and I didnt have an aux port, so I just made something up...
Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Sounds like the phone needs a factory reset more than anything. I would just root that phone and install Cyanogenmod already. They've released their version of Gingerbread a few days ago already for the Nexus One. The official one will probably be there by tomorrow at the latest and I'm sure Cyanogen and his team will incorporate whatever new patches they think are necessary but you won't miss much from the official build since they base theirs off the same codes.

As far as the poor reception thing with T-Mobile, XDA has had a hack for Wifi calling with the Nexus One as far back as November and should work with the latest Cyanogenmod as well. It won't fix 3G reception but at least he'll be able to make calls through Wifi in crappy reception areas.

http://www.androidcentral.com/wifi-c...-cyanogenmod-7
I don't think he has a problem making calls, edge is fine for that, nor does he drop calls. It's data that's a problem, if there's no wifi then 3G is really spotty. It seems that he's on edge more often than he's not.

Why would I want to put a hacked build on his N1, what are the benefits that an average person would like. he's not a nerd, so he cares about performance, battery life, shit just fucking working and maybe some cool useful features here or there. What does a rooted build have on that front? Sell me on it.....
Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM

went back to unrevoked after I read that my software version was covered... frakin user errror!

soooooo I used unrevoked 3 to root just alil bit ago...took forever b/c my computer fought me tooth and nail on the driver install thru the hboot usb plug (like 2 hours)... I had to do it 4 or 5 times before it took

...then unrevoked stalled on the 1st run... I almost took a dump in my pants... then it rolled thru fine... took about 20 minutes...

my software is version 3.70.651.1 which the newest version that unrevoked will root...

...any suggestions on what to NOT do?

I got the wireless tether app... an over and under clock app...

... any ROMS I should try first and which to avoid...

.... and how to dump all this sprint crap pronto?????

I am so tired now... crap!!! still got work tomorrow morning... gotta hit the hay after a bottle of water!

Thanks for all the help guys and your patience...
Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 AM

Cyanogen Gingerbread?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Safety Car

I don't think he has a problem making calls, edge is fine for that, nor does he drop calls. It's data that's a problem, if there's no wifi then 3G is really spotty. It seems that he's on edge more often than he's not.

Why would I want to put a hacked build on his N1, what are the benefits that an average person would like. he's not a nerd, so he cares about performance, battery life, shit just fucking working and maybe some cool useful features here or there. What does a rooted build have on that front? Sell me on it.....
Exactly everything you wrote above is why everyone runs a Cyanogen ROM or custom ROM. Custom ROMs are deodexed (optimized), stripped of unnecessary bloatware to the extreme, more so than just the stuff that you see in your app launcher, zip-aligned (compressed and optimized all the image files), and have features you won't see in a stock ROM from Google such as 720p video recording and extra settings not available in a stock ROM. Because they're also optimized, battery life improves as well and you can play around with different kernels that target exactly those issues if anything.

I shouldn't narrow it down to CyanogenMod. I should say try any of the custom Froyo ROMs that are 100% working in XDA and you'll realize how slow official ROMs are in comparison especially after installing a bunch of files and how much more feature packed they are. Each ROM has different features and you can read their changelogs to see what you want but all of them will be nearly as fast as each other. And updating to another custom ROM is a breeze once you've already started. I flash a custom ROM every other day and am still able to use my phone fully. Flashing from scratch literally takes me 30 minutes to an hour to have a fully running phone with all my customizations just to give you a perspective.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
went back to unrevoked after I read that my software version was covered... frakin user errror!

soooooo I used unrevoked 3 to root just alil bit ago...took forever b/c my computer fought me tooth and nail on the driver install thru the hboot usb plug (like 2 hours)... I had to do it 4 or 5 times before it took

...then unrevoked stalled on the 1st run... I almost took a dump in my pants... then it rolled thru fine... took about 20 minutes...

my software is version 3.70.651.1 which the newest version that unrevoked will root...

...any suggestions on what to NOT do?

I got the wireless tether app... an over and under clock app...

... any ROMS I should try first and which to avoid...

.... and how to dump all this sprint crap pronto?????

I am so tired now... crap!!! still got work tomorrow morning... gotta hit the hay after a bottle of water!

Thanks for all the help guys and your patience...
That over and under clock app probably won't work unless you have a kernel specifically for that usage. Might want to uninstall it just in case it causes any problems.

The first thing you should make sure to do is install Clockwork recovery if you haven't and make a nandroid backup before you start jumping into the custom ROMs realm. You can probably use ROM Manager to take care of both. Once you've got those down, start reading the different custom ROMs and see what features you like before flashing them. Save you the hassle of downloading and flashing everything. For now, I would just install apps that require root like Adfree (Pop-up blocker), Cache Cleaner, Root Explorer (Its not free but you can delete those Sprint apps this way easily), TitaniumBackup (Backup all your apps so you can use them later when you change ROMs, also delete those Sprint apps probably easier than Root Explorer).

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-23-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM

That over and under clock app probably won't work unless you have a kernel specifically for that usage. Might want to uninstall it just in case it causes any problems.

The first thing you should make sure to do is install Clockwork recovery if you haven't and make a nandroid backup before you start jumping into the custom ROMs realm. You can probably use ROM Manager to take care of both. Once you've got those down, start reading the different custom ROMs and see what features you like before flashing them. Save you the hassle of downloading and flashing everything. For now, I would just install apps that require root like Adfree (Pop-up blocker), Cache Cleaner, Root Explorer (Its not free but you can delete those Sprint apps this way easily), TitaniumBackup (Backup all your apps so you can use them later when you change ROMs, also delete those Sprint apps probably easier than Root Explorer).
I will drop the under/over clock app in a minute... no problems yet, but I don't need any either...

Unrevoked3 had Clockwork built in, so I have a recovery in place. I got the Ti Backup last nite and the ROM Manager too... these are things I have been hearing yall talk about so I grabbed them bf I went to sleep.. I am so tired today, I have a HA...

If I have time today, I will look at some ROMs ... I know my wife is not gonna let me spend another whole evening rocking the phone and computer...LOL
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 AM

do I need to install Busy Box? Ti Bkup said I needed it and it wasnt present...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

^Yes. Must install busybox.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM

^Yes. Must install busybox.
will do...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM

LOL... I have so much to learn... I am reading the Ti bk up wiki rite now...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Lol. Yeah, Titanium Backup is very powerful and feature rich. Took me a while to understand it all. Basically, stick to Menu --> Batch to backup, restore your apps. You can schedule automatic backups in the Schedule tab.

In the Backup/Restore tab on the top, it'll list all your apps currently installed. The sprint ones will be in there as well. Scroll to them and click on them. You'll get a menu where you can back them up just in case and uninstall them. If they don't want to uninstall the the first time, you'll have to freeze them first then uninstall. You can also manually backup certain system apps here as well if you like such as your texts, call log, bookmarks, etc. Note though, upgrading from 2.1 --> 2.2 --> 2.3, those data probably won't be useful.

After using it a couple times, its the best app in the Android market and well worth the money for the Pro version. lol.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-23-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the advice... I was just reading about "frozen" apps...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

I have yet to try the Dropbox support because I still haven't signed up for Dropbox but I believe the idea is that your Titanium backups will go to your Dropbox server instead of your SD Card. So if your phone/SD card ever gets destroyed you can just restore your backup from the Dropbox cloud. I may have to set mine up that way soon so I don't have to worry about formatting or breaking my SD card if that happens.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
just grabbed the samsung tab for g/f's birthday and she loves it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I have yet to try the Dropbox support because I still haven't signed up for Dropbox but I believe the idea is that your Titanium backups will go to your Dropbox server instead of your SD Card. So if your phone/SD card ever gets destroyed you can just restore your backup from the Dropbox cloud. I may have to set mine up that way soon so I don't have to worry about formatting or breaking my SD card if that happens.
I still need to get busy box, before using ti backup. no clue what that is but i'll google it. And I'll probably create a drop box so i can sync it. No point of it backing up to sd card since if i unlock the bootloader it will just erase all my memory
Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
I still need to get busy box, before using ti backup. no clue what that is but i'll google it. And I'll probably create a drop box so i can sync it. No point of it backing up to sd card since if i unlock the bootloader it will just erase all my memory
Busybox is a tool set that the phone can use to initial certain shell commands like su, chmod, etc. When you click on Titanium Backup and hit "Problems?" It'll prompt you to download Busybox. You could also download Stericson's Busybox from the market separately:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

You can install both or either. Shouldn't really matter.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whudini3000
just grabbed the samsung tab for g/f's birthday and she loves it.
Still have yet to play with one. Which version did you get her? Because the T-Mobile and AT&T versions can be hacked to do voice calls:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=929479
Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Exactly everything you wrote above is why everyone runs a Cyanogen ROM or custom ROM. Custom ROMs are deodexed (optimized), stripped of unnecessary bloatware to the extreme, more so than just the stuff that you see in your app launcher, zip-aligned (compressed and optimized all the image files), and have features you won't see in a stock ROM from Google such as 720p video recording and extra settings not available in a stock ROM. Because they're also optimized, battery life improves as well and you can play around with different kernels that target exactly those issues if anything.

I shouldn't narrow it down to CyanogenMod. I should say try any of the custom Froyo ROMs that are 100% working in XDA and you'll realize how slow official ROMs are in comparison especially after installing a bunch of files and how much more feature packed they are. Each ROM has different features and you can read their changelogs to see what you want but all of them will be nearly as fast as each other. And updating to another custom ROM is a breeze once you've already started. I flash a custom ROM every other day and am still able to use my phone fully. Flashing from scratch literally takes me 30 minutes to an hour to have a fully running phone with all my customizations just to give you a perspective.
So i got a question about flashing roms, I'm using ROM manager to do it. CyanogenMod RC1 is apparently the most recent one and i just downloaded that from the ROM manager. Now it asks me to create a back up and wipe cache data or soemthing like that.

My question is, when flashing ROMS what data do you lose?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

So i got a question about flashing roms, I'm using ROM manager to do it. CyanogenMod RC1 is apparently the most recent one and i just downloaded that from the ROM manager. Now it asks me to create a back up and wipe cache data or soemthing like that.

My question is, when flashing ROMS what data do you lose?
You lose everything. Hence the reason I suggest you backup with Titanium Backup before anything else. You can backup all your apps, their settings, texts, call logs, and system apps in there. After you've installed your ROM, restore all those apps with Titanium Backup. The free version will prompt you to install each item one by one. If you get the licensed version it'll automate the whole restore process.

I ALWAYS recommend doing a factory reset AND wipe data, cache and dalvik when jumping from one ROM to another. If you're doing an update within a custom ROM then a simple flash over is all that's needed. However, since you're jumping to a brand new ROM, wipe everything to avoid any potential errors.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Still have yet to play with one. Which version did you get her? Because the T-Mobile and AT&T versions can be hacked to do voice calls:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=929479
T-mobile had it for $249 after rebate, so it was quite the steal. I was really really skeptical about buying it, knowing that new tablets were launching around the corner, but it was worth every penny and at $249 you cant go wrong. I havent tried rooting it yet, but it's on the list
Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
You lose everything. Hence the reason I suggest you backup with Titanium Backup before anything else. You can backup all your apps, their settings, texts, call logs, and system apps in there. After you've installed your ROM, restore all those apps with Titanium Backup. The free version will prompt you to install each item one by one. If you get the licensed version it'll automate the whole restore process.

I ALWAYS recommend doing a factory reset AND wipe data, cache and dalvik when jumping from one ROM to another. If you're doing an update within a custom ROM then a simple flash over is all that's needed. However, since you're jumping to a brand new ROM, wipe everything to avoid any potential errors.

Who needs xda when we have CGFeb?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whudini3000
T-mobile had it for $249 after rebate, so it was quite the steal. I was really really skeptical about buying it, knowing that new tablets were launching around the corner, but it was worth every penny and at $249 you cant go wrong. I havent tried rooting it yet, but it's on the list
Its very easy to root it compared to other Android devices. Follow this thread on how to do it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

You NEED to put your phone on USB Debugging mode
You NEED to install make sure the Android drivers for your phone are installed
Make sure you DO NOT mount your SD card.
If you still can't get something to run, try doing it in recovery mode.
Basically, all you need to do is install the USB drivers and then run the app and click a button.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Lol. Just relaying info from there. I just found my HTC Wizard and I'm searching XDA to see if they finally made an Android ROM for it. So far no luck, guess I'll just flash a clean WM 6.5 ROM. lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

do I need to partition my sd on ROM manager before i download install ROMS?
I'm confused, if I flash a rom and I'm suppose to wipe my data then how do i get everything back. If titanium backup stores it on my sd card which is also getting wiped? I'll lose all my data?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

lol
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 AM

Lol. Just relaying info from there. I just found my HTC Wizard and I'm searching XDA to see if they finally made an Android ROM for it. So far no luck, guess I'll just flash a clean WM 6.5 ROM. lol.

Whoa. I almost bought one of those phones back in my WinMo days. lol

I wish I had kept my HD2 around a bit longer since there is an android rom for it now.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Safety Car

I'm confused, if I flash a rom and I'm suppose to wipe my data then how do i get everything back. If titanium backup stores it on my sd card which is also getting wiped? I'll lose all my data?
The data partition is in a separate folder than your SD Card. If you open up any file manager, you'll see that the SD Card folder is separate from the other. If you're still paranoid, which you have the right to be, pull the Titanium Backup folder and photos from your SD Card before flashing. I do this once in a while just in case my phone's internal memory gets borked. Or as I suggested a few posts above, get a Dropbox account and sync it with Titanium Backup so you won't have to worry about what's on your phone's memory.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 AM

sd card doesnt get wiped.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Whoa. I almost bought one of those phones back in my WinMo days. lol

I wish I had kept my HD2 around a bit longer since there is an android rom for it now.
Haha. Yeah it was an excellent phone. I picked it up from someone on Craigslist for a good price because he didn't know how to use it. lol. I remember staying up that night learning how to flash custom ROMs on it and scared that I bricked it because I was a noob and didn't read. I used it as my navigator for a while with TomTom 6 on it and even used it to navigate cross country. Good times. lol.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread