Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-20-2011 | 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
ROM manager is great. Did the backup, will probably put the new kernel in later.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/n...-loss-reboots/

I've never had any major issues like that with my nexus s, only issue ive run into is the keyboard act up, but thats happened only 3-4 times. Never had a reboot where I didnt authorize it, never lost data and had to reboot or anything. Weird how so many people are having issues with the phone, guess I got lucky. DUnno how that works.

Also with this update coming how does it work with rooting. I know I have stock ROM, but I cant update my phone without it messing with my phone. So what happens when the update comes? Unroot, update and re-root?
That bug was fixed with the last update supposedly. And yes, in order to get OFFICIAL updates in the future, you will need to unroot then update, then re-root if its possible. That's why most people stick with custom ROMs because they're always rooted and you don't need to unroot. Plus they don't come with extra crapware from the cell phone companies.
Old 02-20-2011 | 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

i got it to work now, I had to do something in the settings of rom manager
Old 02-20-2011 | 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
That bug was fixed with the last update supposedly. And yes, in order to get OFFICIAL updates in the future, you will need to unroot then update, then re-root if its possible. That's why most people stick with custom ROMs because they're always rooted and you don't need to unroot. Plus they don't come with extra crapware from the cell phone companies.
I have a nexus S, I dont get crapware
Old 02-20-2011 | 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

So stock cpu settins I ran quadrant test and got 1352, just above nexus one 2.2+

Got the kernel put it up to 1.4GHz, first time it reboot running quadrant
Put it at 1.3GHz ran quadrant and got 15xx which was weird
so i put it back up to 1.4 one more time and got 19xx. Which is great, but I was kinda expecting more when this dude got 3098
http://twitpic.com/3xkpgw
running the same kernel I believe, but I dont think he's on stock ROM
Old 02-20-2011 | 04:57 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Quadrant is tailored more towards the Snapdragon processors so take the scores with a grain of salt.
Old 02-20-2011 | 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Like civicdrivr, Quadrant isn't really the best benchmark out there. It can be easily manipulated. Its like an e-peen measurement more than anything. lol.
Old 02-20-2011 | 05:33 PM

But

I was getting great scores in Quadrant with one kernel but the phone didnt feel responsive. Im now on a different kernel and the phone runs better despite the lower Quadrant scores.
Old 02-20-2011 | 06:00 PM
Safety Car

Here's my current set up. You'll notice that I got rid of the clock in the notification bar. Not exactly sure how they did it, but it requires unpacking the services.jar and removing some lines of code using smali. Not exactly my expertise. More info in this thread:

Remove clock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910191

Lockscreen:

Using a modified Epic 4G lockscreen at the moment because I like the way it looks. I have 5 lockscreens to choose from built into the theme: Stock Android Froyo, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung Fascinate, Samsung Epic 4G, Stock Android Eclair (Rotary). Its built into the settings menu and changes on the fly.

Homescreens:

From the screenshots, you can tell the HiRes effect that the new Speedmod/Voodoo kernel has made. Text and icons are very crisp now compared to stock settings.
Old 02-20-2011 | 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice screenshots, although my preference for my main home screen is to have as few icons as possible thats why i only have messaging and gmail on my home screen.

The kernel i got had the voodoo sound and color enhancements, I'm pretty sure i see a difference in my screen but now exactly sure. The screen shots i have did not have the kernel yet. Havent tested out the sound yet. But I got the voodoo control app, is there anything in particular I should check? Not really my language.
Old 02-20-2011 | 07:04 PM

Since I generally use headphones when listening to music, I put the headphone gain to +3 in the Voodoo control app and enabled bass boost (moderate) in DSP Manager. I noticed a big difference in sound quality.

If you have CM7, go into the CM settings -> sound and make sure you select attenuated sound when music is playing and set it to 0dB, otherwise the notifications play VERY loudly over the headset.
Old 02-20-2011 | 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Since I generally use headphones when listening to music, I put the headphone gain to +3 in the Voodoo control app and enabled bass boost (moderate) in DSP Manager. I noticed a big difference in sound quality.

If you have CM7, go into the CM settings -> sound and make sure you select attenuated sound when music is playing and set it to 0dB, otherwise the notifications play VERY loudly over the headset.
ohh cool thanks, I'm running stock ROM so I'm good about that hopefully.

You guys running any profiles on setcpu?
Right now I have it running at 1.3 at full charge and below 75% I drop to 1.2, then under 50 I drop down to regular 1GHz. And screen off I have 800MHz. If you guys do have set cpu is this alright, and did you do any profiles involving temperature? I didnt make one with temperature though, didnt know what the avg temp and all that is so I dont wanna mess with that.

BTW sorry for the bombardment of questions within these past two days lol. I finally started getting really into this phone. Even though I should be studying lol
Old 02-20-2011 | 08:15 PM

I dont run profiles. I have mine set to 800 min 1400 max. Ive heard from some people with the NS saying that profiles would oddly reduce battery life.

Try it out though and see what works. Go one charge cycle with profiles and another without just to see.
Old 02-20-2011 | 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Pretty much for the Voodoo app I just put boost up to +2db then check everything except force Monomix. Monomix is for when one of your ear buds breaks. I have an i9000 so we have a few extra options like bass boost for the FM Radio which sounds excellent. Almost makes me want to listen to radio again. lol. I never noticed the difference with the sound until I switched to my iPod Classic on the fly and realized how crappy the iPod sounded in comparison to my phone.

As far as SetCPU, experiment with profiles and no profiles and see what you like. You'll notice the difference pretty quickly if its draining your battery pretty badly.
Old 02-20-2011 | 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Oh and here's a good read up as to why since the iPod Classic and current iPhones after the 1st gen and 3G model, sound quality went downhill. Although, the next iteration should fix that. I had to google this myself because I couldn't believe the sound difference I was hearing since I'm not an audiophile. The sound difference is very noticeable when you play high quality music not those 128 kbps MP3 files. And finally, the reason I posted this article is because the Galaxy S and Nexus S both use a Wolfson audio chip which is what gives it great sound and further enhanced by the Voodoo kernel.

http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/whi...o-quality.html

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2011 | 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont run profiles. I have mine set to 800 min 1400 max. Ive heard from some people with the NS saying that profiles would oddly reduce battery life.

Try it out though and see what works. Go one charge cycle with profiles and another without just to see.
Hmm I'll check it out and see if I notice anything. Why do you set min to 800 and not 100? I remember reading on the xda forum some people did that but they didnt explain.
Pretty much for the Voodoo app I just put boost up to +2db then check everything except force Monomix. Monomix is for when one of your ear buds breaks. I have an i9000 so we have a few extra options like bass boost for the FM Radio which sounds excellent. Almost makes me want to listen to radio again. lol. I never noticed the difference with the sound until I switched to my iPod Classic on the fly and realized how crappy the iPod sounded in comparison to my phone.

As far as SetCPU, experiment with profiles and no profiles and see what you like. You'll notice the difference pretty quickly if its draining your battery pretty badly.
Nice, I can't wait till I try it out. Not home right now, but I'll plug in the headphones as soon as I get home. Does this also work on the speaker of the phone or just anything plugged in though the headphone jack?
Oh and here's a good read up as to why since the iPod Classic and current iPhones after the 1st gen and 3G model, sound quality went downhill. Although, the next iteration should fix that. I had to google this myself because I couldn't believe the sound difference I was hearing since I'm not an audiophile. The sound difference is very noticeable when you play high quality music not those 128 kbps MP3 files. And finally, the reason I posted this article is because the Galaxy S and Nexus S both use a Wolfson audio chip which is what gives it great sound and further enhanced by the Voodoo kernel.

http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/whi...o-quality.html
Ohh nice, good to know we get the good stuff
Old 02-20-2011 | 09:20 PM

100mhz may be too slow and the phone could take much longer to wake up. IIRC the stock screen off clock speed is 800mhz so I just went with that. I think the newest Netarchy kernel fixed the sleep lag however.
Old 02-20-2011 | 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

100mhz may be too slow and the phone could take much longer to wake up. IIRC the stock screen off clock speed is 800mhz so I just went with that. I think the newest Netarchy kernel fixed the sleep lag however.
Ohh, well on my sleep profile I have it set at 100 low 800 max, and no lag for me. but if its working for me like that then I'm gonna keep it at that for now.
Old 02-20-2011 | 09:39 PM

Might as well.
Old 02-20-2011 | 09:54 PM
Safety Car

Nice, I can't wait till I try it out. Not home right now, but I'll plug in the headphones as soon as I get home. Does this also work on the speaker of the phone or just anything plugged in though the headphone jack?
It only works with the headphone jack. The speaker phone is too limited in terms of modifications before blowing it out. Although, I believe Supercurio (creator of Voodoo kernel) is tweaking it as best he could without blowing it out.

Ohh nice, good to know we get the good stuff
This always seem to be the case with Samsung. Great hardware but crappy software. They should just stick to creating hardware and letting other people do the software which is what makes the Nexus S so great because Google is the one working on it.
Old 02-21-2011 | 11:06 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

do you need a newer computer to root?

my older HP running XP pro didnt seem to catch onto the unrevoked root thing really well...

I tried, but got no where... my EVO is fine... but still unrooted...
Old 02-21-2011 | 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
do you need a newer computer to root?

my older HP running XP pro didnt seem to catch onto the unrevoked root thing really well...

I tried, but got no where... my EVO is fine... but still unrooted...
Shouldn't need a new computer. If anything XP is probably the best OS to root the phones with due to less compatibility issues. If you want a temporary root, install z4Root and do it that way:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Just download the apk to your SD Card and install with any File Explorer app. Root sticks until you restart your phone then you'll have to rerun the app again and root manually each time you reboot. Its at least a way to dip into the rooting and see what its about. Once you know for sure its what you want, then go into the real rooting. Here's their updated rooting instructions:

http://htcevorooting.x10.mx/wiki/ind...itle=Main_Page

More specifically: http://htcevorooting.x10.mx/wiki/ind...ith_Unrevoked3

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-21-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2011 | 01:41 PM

Shouldn't need a new computer. If anything XP is probably the best OS to root the phones with due to less compatibility issues. If you want a temporary root, install z4Root and do it that way:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Just download the apk to your SD Card and install with any File Explorer app. Root sticks until you restart your phone then you'll have to rerun the app again and root manually each time you reboot. Its at least a way to dip into the rooting and see what its about. Once you know for sure its what you want, then go into the real rooting. Here's their updated rooting instructions:

More specifically: http://htcevorooting.x10.mx/wiki/ind...ith_Unrevoked3
thanks bro... I might have some time later tonite to look over this... I will try with my wife's computer instead of mine... hers is faster!
Old 02-21-2011 | 02:20 PM
Safety Car

I just fixed the very sensitive auto-rotation in my ROM using APKTool. It was quite easy actually. Wish I had more time to actually tinker with such things. For anyone interested you have to decompile/recompile your framework.jar using APKTool and replace WindowOrientationListener$SensorEventListenerImpl. smali and WindowOrientationListener.smali with the ones found from this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=948002

Or you could always ask the dev to implement it into their theme/ROMs. Now I have to tilt the phone at least 45 degrees before it rotates the screen.
Old 02-21-2011 | 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

damn, i wish i had your skills haha. There's only so much I know when looking at systems. I need tutorials always.

darksithcl, go to the unlockr its a good place to see how to unlock your phone. That and the xda forums will help you get past most of your issues if not all. Sometimes a quick google search will help

And xp is good, 7 is one of the harder ones haha, I was having compatibility issues. You should be fine though.
Old 02-21-2011 | 03:18 PM

damn, i wish i had your skills haha. There's only so much I know when looking at systems. I need tutorials always.

darksithcl, go to the unlockr its a good place to see how to unlock your phone. That and the xda forums will help you get past most of your issues if not all. Sometimes a quick google search will help

And xp is good, 7 is one of the harder ones haha, I was having compatibility issues. You should be fine though.
LOL.. I need a video, a helmet with a chin guard, and a full moon!

thanks for the help... I really want to get this done tonite...
Old 02-21-2011 | 04:08 PM
Safety Car

Just trial and error. As long as there's a way to revert, then there should be no reason to experiment. At least, that's the way I see it. lol.
Old 02-21-2011 | 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL.. I need a video, a helmet with a chin guard, and a full moon!

thanks for the help... I really want to get this done tonite...
http://theunlockr.com/how-tos/android-how-tos/

look up your phone, they should have videos.

Haha it took me a long as time to do. My main problem was getting a connection to the computer, and then when I finally got it rooted, the method I found my wifi and camera didnt work, so then I unrooted and found another way and now it works
Old 02-21-2011 | 09:25 PM
Safety Car

Here's a pretty cool homescreen layout with different wallpapers per screen and transition effects from LauncherPro (should be achievable with ADWLauncher EX as well.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZHIH7F0Z4g

Instructions on how to do it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=924865
Old 02-21-2011 | 09:43 PM

That is sick. Definitely my new setting
Old 02-21-2011 | 10:10 PM
I disagree with unanimity

That cube effect is dope.
Old 02-21-2011 | 11:41 PM

EvenZ4root didn't work on my EVO... I'm just feeling crazy... what the devil have I done wrong?

WOW!
Old 02-22-2011 | 12:14 AM
Safety Car

EvenZ4root didn't work on my EVO... I'm just feeling crazy... what the devil have I done wrong?

WOW!
Hmm...its a possibility the latest Evo update blocked z4root from working. RyanZA hasn't updated the app in a while so that could be why. Looks like the only way to get root is through the real process.
Old 02-22-2011 | 06:58 AM

http://theunlockr.com/how-tos/android-how-tos/

look up your phone, they should have videos.

Haha it took me a long as time to do. My main problem was getting a connection to the computer, and then when I finally got it rooted, the method I found my wifi and camera didnt work, so then I unrooted and found another way and now it works
Its time to watch some videos... there must be a small trick for the EVO that I'm missing... LOL
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:20 AM

I posted over at XDA on this subject... will let yall know what I find out!

I am going to look into using the root info on this page when I get home...

I frakin forgot my htc data cable at the house... all I have is a charging cable
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
$129 for new accounts at Walmart through Wednesday, possibly Thursday.

Just saw this in the Atrix thread....
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:34 AM

wicked transitional effects!
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:43 AM
Banned

Apologies if this sort of thing has been asked before.

Any kind of car audio solutions come out for any of the various Android phones, and is there any kind of standard toward audio? Coming from an iPhone, obviously everything is standardized and most any iPod solution will work with the iPhone. Anything being worked on with the Android side of the market? This might be a big factor if I switch at some point. While I could always just use an iPod in the car, the ability to grab internet radio is pretty big.
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:58 AM

Any kind of car audio solutions come out for any of the various Android phones, and is there any kind of standard toward audio? Coming from an iPhone, obviously everything is standardized and most any iPod solution will work with the iPhone. Anything being worked on with the Android side of the market? This might be a big factor if I switch at some point. While I could always just use an iPod in the car, the ability to grab internet radio is pretty big.
Excellent question... not sure of best the answer... but,

I can tell you what I found out specifically about my Mercedes that has a OEM radio (and is a 1999 model....LOL).

A bluetooth compatible phone will hook up with a BT radio with on screen controls for the phone and audio... this wasn't a Android specific solution though... I do enjoy using the BT hookup to listen to internet radio,police scanners and Pandora and make phone calls in my merc now... as well as listening to all of my music that is on my phone...

I am sure there are some places you can search on the internet for better answer or some of the peeps here might have a great solution they are using... I know that Android has a huge number of custom audio players you can download for free so that UI is exactly what you want it to be...
Old 02-22-2011 | 11:44 AM
Safety Car

If your car has an Auxiliary jack, which most cars nowaday do, then you can plug that into the headphone jack of any Android phone or any device that has a 3.5 mm headphone jack. Most iPod docks come with that alternative which is my set up in my car. I have a USA Spec PA11-HON iPod dock in my car and an auxiliary jack for non-iPod devices. Whatever can come out of my headphone jack will play on my radio.

For example, while using Google Nav and listening to Pandora, both will play out my car radio and Pandora will pause any time the Nav reads out directions to me or I receive a text, email, etc. then resume at the point where it paused. Its pretty awesome actually. Only downside is that you won't be able to charge the phone using the auxiliary jack but luckily Android phones don't come with proprietary connectors and any micro-USB car charger from your other devices will work to charge the phone just adds an extra cable though.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2011 | 11:53 AM
Banned

Yeah, the extra cable is annoying. The iSimple could take an aux input, but wouldn't I lose the ability to change tracks via the steering wheel? That's the biggest drawback I can see.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread