Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick
Mang I have been on the wait list at the Ala Mo store for 4 weeks. F-ckers said the shipment was delayed. I called Pearl Kai and their waiting list is 200 peeps deep I got my Pre the 2nd day it came out so IDK WTF is going on here.
I was told to watch the website and if they have the phone available to call in and upgrade through them. I am one of the 200 peeps on the wait list at Pearl Kai. But in all seriousness sprint needs to get there shit together and get this device out to everyone.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I have the 69.99 plan plus the added total equipment protection and I'm getting the 23% discount is it even worth trying to weasel a cheaper plan? Total out the door is $67 including plan, total equipment protection, taxes, etc. I have another year on my contract anyhoo since I get my Pre 1 year ago so it's a somewhat moot point.
well, let me tell you about the total equipment protection plan, you pay $7 a month for the plan and then if you make a claim its a $50 deductable, so in two years time, ( the time to upgrade normally ) you pay $168 + the $50 is $218, not bad right? BUT they send you a refurbished aka used broken phone that has been repaired. right here i say u are throwing away money, might as well get by with the phone you have and wait for a upgrade if something happens to ur phone, ur old one will do just fine or argue for a early upgrade ( pretty much the cost of what you shell out for a used phone in the calculation ) the insurance is a rip off, keep in mind with the EVO, you pay $10 more, not much you are going to be able to argue unless ur contract is almost up, its a gamble with " retention " cancellation dept, they are more willing to " discount you " if u are out of contract as you have to pay the ETF to get out if in contract, you can only attempt to say well i can leave for such and such deal, also maybe you can get a contract renewal offer to sign again, i would be weary of doing that as ur best bet to deal with Sprint is when u are out of contract and really, you have options ..but i have the phone now, its amazing and the best phone Sprint has in my opinion ...sorry for the late reply, hope i helped some
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Instructor

also i thought i would give my take on the EVO, its a solid phone, it has a BIG screen, i like that, its not so big that it makes holding the phone to the ear a challenge, nice if you like web and texting, makes it all that much easier to use interface wise, clear and nice screen with web and texting, 7 home screens with easy set up to get where you want with a click of the finger, layout on homepage to customize the apps you want, a great variety of android applications to make the experience unique with much of what you probably seen with live wallpapers, free ringtones and music and great games for free in the android market, one downside i will say is flipping the screen from top to sideways takes a bit long to get it to switch, other than that, so far i have no other complaints, text screen takes a bit getting used to, there are TONS of apps of enjoyable free play time, phone is incredible and i dont see how anyone would be disappointed in this phone
Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Another 4G phone coming for Sprint. Samsung Epic 4G

http://www.examiner.com/x-8134-SF-Ga...oid-Incredible

There's a comparo in there too with the EVO, iPhone4, and Droid X.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Type--S
well, let me tell you about the total equipment protection plan, you pay $7 a month for the plan and then if you make a claim its a $50 deductable, so in two years time, ( the time to upgrade normally ) you pay $168 + the $50 is $218, not bad right? BUT they send you a refurbished aka used broken phone that has been repaired. right here i say u are throwing away money, might as well get by with the phone you have and wait for a upgrade if something happens to ur phone, ur old one will do just fine or argue for a early upgrade ( pretty much the cost of what you shell out for a used phone in the calculation ) the insurance is a rip off, keep in mind with the EVO, you pay $10 more, not much you are going to be able to argue unless ur contract is almost up, its a gamble with " retention " cancellation dept, they are more willing to " discount you " if u are out of contract as you have to pay the ETF to get out if in contract, you can only attempt to say well i can leave for such and such deal, also maybe you can get a contract renewal offer to sign again, i would be weary of doing that as ur best bet to deal with Sprint is when u are out of contract and really, you have options ..but i have the phone now, its amazing and the best phone Sprint has in my opinion ...sorry for the late reply, hope i helped some
IDK man I replaced my Palm Treo 755 like 3 times and my Pre like 4 times so IMO it's paid for itself even if I'm getting a crap refurbished phone it's better than a phone that doesn't work at all I mean serious malfunctions like inability to make calls, can't hear conversation, faulty headset jack, etc.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
1st TL-S on air in

^^^ are you upgrading your phone with a two year contract and receiving the $150 upgrade incentive? If so you should call sprint now and have them ship the phone to you. I just did for both lines on my account and estimated arrival is friday. screw the 200 waiting list
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Damn sprint is coming out with some freakin hot phones! I'm totally dumping AT&T as soon as my contract is up an gettin the EVO4 or the Samsung Epic. I'm so stoked on 4G it's not even funny.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
WTF looking at this evo4g ad and it says it has a "8 0 megapixel camera"
Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
^^^ are you upgrading your phone with a two year contract and receiving the $150 upgrade incentive? If so you should call sprint now and have them ship the phone to you. I just did for both lines on my account and estimated arrival is friday. screw the 200 waiting list
Raja. I wanted to trade in my Pre for the $50 rebate. Can I still do that even though I don't get the Evo at the store itself? Also I've had my Pre 1 year so I believe I'm only eligible for $75 rebate.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Anyone have any insight on Sprint's coverage and 3G/4G speed in the Bay Area? I haven't had any problems with AT&T's coverage, though 3G has been absent when I'm in BFE way up in the mountains somewhere. But Sprint's rates are really competitive.....

edit: sounds like 4G isn't available yet in the SF Bay Area???
Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Anyone have any insight on Sprint's coverage and 3G/4G speed in the Bay Area? I haven't had any problems with AT&T's coverage, though 3G has been absent when I'm in BFE way up in the mountains somewhere. But Sprint's rates are really competitive.....

WTF it's available in HI and not SF?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Not sure if its unavailable or not, but from month-old articles I'm reading it says 4G isn't available in major metropolitan areas like SF and NY. I heard AT&T has 3G issues in SF though, so that could be why. Actually...... the few times I did have problems with AT&T 3G, it was mostly while I was in SF!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM

I never have issue with 3G in SF
Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
I never have issue with 3G in SF
It works good most of the time, but I remember when I was in Japantown recently it was a little spotty. Took me forever to look up stuff on Yelp, whether I was outside or inside a building.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Ordered my Evo online this afternoon with free shipping. After 100 mail in rebate comes out to $199 which is what I paid for my Pre. 3-5 business days until delivery. I ordered my Seidio case on Amazon. Once I activate my Evo, I will send my Pre to Sprint with free shipping and get $54 credit through it's buyback program. I normally give my old phones to my relatives but this POS Pre is quite thrashed LOL.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Ordered my Evo online this afternoon with free shipping. After 100 mail in rebate comes out to $199 which is what I paid for my Pre. 3-5 business days until delivery. I ordered my Seidio case on Amazon. Once I activate my Evo, I will send my Pre to Sprint with free shipping and get $54 credit through it's buyback program. I normally give my old phones to my relatives but this POS Pre is quite thrashed LOL.
Oh man, Brotha, sounds like you went BIG! Now it sounds like your headed in the right direction!!!

I guess the pre-order went totally side-ways... how weird!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 PM

Sorry y'all... I have been locked out of my account for days... have no idea why!
I am back to talkin phones again...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Instructor

doesnt look like it, 3G is pretty quick on its own though, i would imagine that cali will have it soon, heck im in Utah, looks like they just added it, wasnt there a week ago or so
Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Instructor

IDK man I replaced my Palm Treo 755 like 3 times and my Pre like 4 times so IMO it's paid for itself even if I'm getting a crap refurbished phone it's better than a phone that doesn't work at all I mean serious malfunctions like inability to make calls, can't hear conversation, faulty headset jack, etc.

well if you are going through phones that quick, i guess it works for some people, for me, i seem to have good luck with my phones, i have yet to have a problem with any of the 3 phones i have had with Sprint to this point, and if i do, i plan to use my old one and argue with Sprint to get a early upgrade renewal, also if you have a 69.99 plan, you can upgrade after only 1 year as you are a Sprint premier customer, I actually used to work for Sprint, so i know that a number of people have had problems with the refurbished phones, the insurance would be great if it replaced the phone with a brand new one, thats how it should be IMO, but if it works for you, im glad, i was just giving my as to saving some money on what you pay, all in all, it isnt that much, but it adds up, but again, if you are going through phones as you have, it prob is good you have it
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 PM

well if you are going through phones that quick, i guess it works for some people, for me, i seem to have good luck with my phones, i have yet to have a problem with any of the 3 phones i have had with Sprint to this point, and if i do, i plan to use my old one and argue with Sprint to get a early upgrade renewal, also if you have a 69.99 plan, you can upgrade after only 1 year as you are a Sprint premier customer, I actually used to work for Sprint, so i know that a number of people have had problems with the refurbished phones, the insurance would be great if it replaced the phone with a brand new one, thats how it should be IMO, but if it works for you, im glad, i was just giving my as to saving some money on what you pay, all in all, it isnt that much, but it adds up, but again, if you are going through phones as you have, it prob is good you have it
LOL... I had 3 HTC TP1's and they were crap! They were so bad, that when I would take it in to the sprint store, they would send me a new one in new box... I have 3 of everything here at the house somewhere... I am on my second Pre... its a refurb, but its cool sofar... I had to replace my treo 650 ..3 times due to me droppin or crushin them... they are pretty "stiff" and unforgivin in falls... 2 of those were new...the last, a refurb... I am just on the go so,so much... my phones have a better chance for danger! I think if I hadnt had the insurance, I woulda been messed up, since my phones were almost always a complete BRICK after I busted them... the TP's were just JUNK
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Only available because we had 4g here for a while now. Clearwire was the first to bring 4g here about 2 years ago iirc. But oceanic cable has bought out clearwire and is offering 4g service. So oceanic owns the 4g market here.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Damn sprint is coming out with some freakin hot phones! I'm totally dumping AT&T as soon as my contract is up an gettin the EVO4 or the Samsung Epic. I'm so stoked on 4G it's not even funny.
ATT is coming out with a few Android phones soon. The HTC Aria and the Samsung Galaxy S (can't remember ATT branded name) show a lot of promise.

I'd check sprintusers.com and maybe howardforums.com where there are tons of sprint users.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM

last night I was reading something sprint sent me abt the EVO... I think you can usee sprint.com/4g to check your 4g coverage area... Im gonna try it right now... will hollar back!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM

yup, that link works... looks like the SF area is a work in progress... they dont have an actual map for that market yet... there is about 70 to 75 % saturation in the Houston area...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 AM

list of comming cities and a way to get email updates on their progress...

http://sprint.p.delivery.net/m/p/nxt...anity:signup4g
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL the manager at my Sprint store felt bad with my Treo 755 so he just brought out a brand new one and opened the box in front of me. That 755 worked fine until I got my Pre. All I got for my Pre issues were refurbished phones though, they wouldn't hook a brotha up with a new Pre.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
LOL... I had 3 HTC TP1's and they were crap! They were so bad, that when I would take it in to the sprint store, they would send me a new one in new box... I have 3 of everything here at the house somewhere... I am on my second Pre... its a refurb, but its cool sofar... I had to replace my treo 650 ..3 times due to me droppin or crushin them... they are pretty "stiff" and unforgivin in falls... 2 of those were new...the last, a refurb... I am just on the go so,so much... my phones have a better chance for danger! I think if I hadnt had the insurance, I woulda been messed up, since my phones were almost always a complete BRICK after I busted them... the TP's were just JUNK
Seriously, I find new and amazing ways to abuse my phones LOL. They are always flying out of my pocket since I have a gajillion keys, magnifying glass, pepper spray, etc. I have to encase my phones in body armor, I've shattered protective cases after dropping my phones on concrete, wood, ceramic tile, etc.

Only available because we had 4g here for a while now. Clearwire was the first to bring 4g here about 2 years ago iirc. But oceanic cable has bought out clearwire and is offering 4g service. So oceanic owns the 4g market here.
Mang you think it's worth it to pay $$ extra and get use of the Evo as a mobile hot spot? I don't have the interweb at home but mostly that's so I'm not wasting my life playing MW2 online or glued to Tube8 LOL. I do have a netbook I use at work though so I could bring it home easily if I could surf through the Evo.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Mang you think it's worth it to pay $$ extra and get use of the Evo as a mobile hot spot? I don't have the interweb at home but mostly that's so I'm not wasting my life playing MW2 online or glued to Tube8 LOL. I do have a netbook I use at work though so I could bring it home easily if I could surf through the Evo.
Dont pay they already have a droid hack on using the evo as a hot spot for free iirc after reading through a forum. Once i get more info i will share how i did it. I was kinda pissed at the fact that you need to pay more for the hot spot
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Dont pay they already have a droid hack on using the evo as a hot spot for free iirc after reading through a forum. Once i get more info i will share how i did it. I was kinda pissed at the fact that you need to pay more for the hot spot
Please do that. I would like to not pay $20/mo just to tether the phone if I get it. That's pretty silly.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Doom878
ATT is coming out with a few Android phones soon. The HTC Aria and the Samsung Galaxy S (can't remember ATT branded name) show a lot of promise.
I'll check them out, but I am beginning to feel sold on the 4g thing already now that I see my city is covered. I still don't even have a smartphone at all, so this would be a huge step up from my sony walkman phone which was nice at first but has become a buggy pile of .
Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Team Owner

The ATT 3.5G is pretty f'in fast. I'm reading about iPhone4's getting super high transfer rates. Don't let the marketing fool you. See how good both are in your area. Is your city near Philly or something because I don't foresee most of PA getting 4G anytime soon?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

The ATT 3.5G is pretty f'in fast. I'm reading about iPhone4's getting super high transfer rates. Don't let the marketing fool you. See how good both are in your area. Is your city near Philly or something because I don't foresee most of PA getting 4G anytime soon?
Yep my city is covered and so is where I work. Amazingly Lancaster, Reading, and Harrisburg are already covered by 4G yet big cities like SF and NY still haven't got coverage. Most of greater Philadelphia is covered, but a few areas are still a bit patchy according to the sprint site.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Just got my Evo this AM. Holy giant phone Batman Sync'd effortlessly with my Gmail account. Just going to get familiar with it over the 4th of July weekend, should keep me plenty busy 4G seems hella quick.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
1st TL-S on air in

^^^^ nice mines hasnt been delivered yet but thats because the ups guy knows what time to come, and not was his time on delivering the product when he knows no one is home. I should have mines soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:35 PM

this

with the iPhone 4 on AT&T, its getting comparable rates to 4G, at least right now.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Just got my Evo this AM. Holy giant phone Batman Sync'd effortlessly with my Gmail account. Just going to get familiar with it over the 4th of July weekend, should keep me plenty busy 4G seems hella quick.
LOL.. after the small and elegant Pre screen, the EVO screen just jumps at ya...huh? zoink!

^^^^ nice mines hasnt been delivered yet but thats because the ups guy knows what time to come, and not was his time on delivering the product when he knows no one is home. I should have mines soon.
...you got it good when the UPS dude knows ya!

Really happy for yall... ENJOY!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
this

with the iPhone 4 on AT&T, its getting comparable rates to 4G, at least right now.
How is the 4 as a actual phone? ...the 3 was kinda sketchy purely as a phone in some markets...

I am so glad ATT has optimized their data speed with this new phone! I bet they're keep the 4G crowd sweating...

....competition is good for the consumer!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Yep my city is covered and so is where I work. Amazingly Lancaster, Reading, and Harrisburg are already covered by 4G yet big cities like SF and NY still haven't got coverage. Most of greater Philadelphia is covered, but a few areas are still a bit patchy according to the sprint site.
weird how they are putting this 4G thing together...
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM

I'll check them out, but I am beginning to feel sold on the 4g thing already now that I see my city is covered. I still don't even have a smartphone at all, so this would be a huge step up from my sony walkman phone which was nice at first but has become a buggy pile of .
When I re-read this I
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Rick, let us know how you like it in a few days in comparison to the Pre.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by vas25tl
Rick, let us know how you like it in a few days in comparison to the Pre.
Fo' shur!!!

I have some very specific questions to ask you, my brotha...

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread