Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Nice. Root that thing and get Voodoo sound on it asap. lol.

reading up on rooting it now. hopefully I'll have it rooted by tomorrow evening.

navigating the honeycomb ui is taking some getting used to. namely the menu button and the app drawer. I keep staring at the screen thinking "where the fuck is the menu button".
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 AM

Amazon has the 32gb transformer for $479.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF...9493488&sr=8-3
Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Google+ lets you pretty much have full control of what you share and who you share it with upfront using the Circles, one of my bigger gripes with Facebook especially once they started everyone and their mothers get on it. Downside right now is that not many of my friends are on or using Google Plus yet. So far I've only added the Android devs on there and they're pretty active on there. According to some people, the invite loophole still sorta works but its not guranteed to get you in. Its probably what happened to me where I got an invite but it didn't go through. Maybe it just gives you priority?
lol thats how i got my invite, someone added me in a circle and messaged me, i got an email and all of a sudden i was in google+
Old 07-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

is there any good tablet running around $200-$300 preferably one that can run honeycomb??

A friends asking, i'm doing my own search too, since thats a pretty low price, i'm not expecting anything great.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
is there any good tablet running around $200-$300 preferably one that can run honeycomb??

A friends asking, i'm doing my own search too, since thats a pretty low price, i'm not expecting anything great.
Currently no. Anything in that price range will only run Gingerbread at the moment. If you can wait until the end of Sept, Archos will be releasing some cheap Android tablets with some great specs with their G9 line:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/a...the-ipad/13442
Old 07-02-2011, 12:52 AM

Don't think for that price you'll find a honeycomb tablet. The closest would be the Eee Pad Transformer at $399. Maybe in a couple months when more tablets come to the market, you may see a price drop. Or, maybe a used one.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

how about anything thats not honeycomb thats decent. I'll find out the intentions from my friend to see if its even worth it getting such a cheap tablet. Which honestly I probably would say no.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Safety Car

how about anything thats not honeycomb thats decent. I'll find out the intentions from my friend to see if its even worth it getting such a cheap tablet. Which honestly I probably would say no.
The 7" Galaxy Tab is pretty good. Get the 3G version cause the WiFi version is crippled. I think you get them for pretty cheap on eBay. That for sure has Cyanogenmod on it already.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Finally updating my ROM so I will have CM7 7.1
Old 07-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Hmm if the galaxy tab ends up being to expensive, what about the nook color?? I know its mostly a E-reader but would it be good tablet wise??
And if its rooted with CM7, that would make it better right?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Hmm if the galaxy tab ends up being to expensive, what about the nook color?? I know its mostly a E-reader but would it be good tablet wise??
Actually, you're right. I kinda forgot about the Nook Color. But yes, the Nook Color looks like a solid device. I wanted to get one of those and it does have a CM 7 build for it. Maybe its time to drop hints to the gf. lol.

My Galaxy S is so fast right now. It doesn't even feel like the same phone anymore with the latest MIUI 1.7.1 based on CM 7.1 RC1. I'm not even overclocking and this thing is very smooth compared to previous builds. The Platypus kernel I'm using probably helps as well as he made a lot of little tweaks here and there:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1053304

Also for anyone who wants to try, Juwe11 created a great Memory Optimization script:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1111145

Your ROM MUST support init.d. Just flash it with CWM. Also, this script was built around 512 MB of RAM. It should technically work for all devices but keep in mind this was also meant for the Galaxy S phones. With his script, multitasking is smooth as butter. If you want to uninstall it, just use a file explorer, navigate to your "system/etc/init.d" folder and delete the "S97ramscript" file and reboot.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
I have it. Works great and has long battery life. Mine came with latest android. Its half price of ipad so good bang for buck. I use it primarily as ereader fyi.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Got the eee pad rooted and voodoo sound installed. Sounds much better! Having some issues getting cwm recovery installed though. Will mess with it morein abit. So far likin the ui. My biggest complaint is the lack of apps. Only a few are optimized for honeycomb and my existing apps look like crap. Hopefully the developers can find some incentive to optimize the apps soon.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 PM

I was able to get cwm recovery installed. It was a driver issue preventing me from getting into apx mode.
I picked up the keyboard dock today and this multiplies this tablet's functionality. The dock is the main reason I picked the transformer over other tablets. So far so good. The chiclet keyboard is easier to type on than my netbook's keyboard.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by surfer rick
I have it. Works great and has long battery life. Mine came with latest android. Its half price of ipad so good bang for buck. I use it primarily as ereader fyi.
Ohh I see, is it still good for web browsing and can you put videos on it and watch them?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
G+ is still log jammed... LOL

...thanks for the invites CGFebTSX04 and speedemon90 !!!!

I also got the G+ app for the time when I can pass thru the gates... :orly:
Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL

I heard it opened up for a little bit today
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Ohh I see, is it still good for web browsing and can you put videos on it and watch them?
Yeah good for web browsing. I'm not sure about videos. I would say the drawback is there's not a ton of apps for the Nook just yet but if you're interested primarily in web surfing and ereading you're golden. It's quite durable also and is light enough to be held like a book.
The following users liked this post:
speedemon90 (07-06-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL

Keep attempting to log in. My other secondary account just went through after a week. I didn't try logging in as much as my primary with that one though so maybe that's why it took so long for it to get access. What's weird is that I had to press "Learn More" instead of clicking on the post before it allowed me to create my Profile. I guess just click on everything you get in the invitation email until it lets you through. I'm still trying to get my girlfriend's account to go through but she doesn't check it often so I'm doing it for her. lol.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah good for web browsing. I'm not sure about videos. I would say the drawback is there's not a ton of apps for the Nook just yet but if you're interested primarily in web surfing and ereading you're golden. It's quite durable also and is light enough to be held like a book.
cool thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Keep attempting to log in. My other secondary account just went through after a week. I didn't try logging in as much as my primary with that one though so maybe that's why it took so long for it to get access. What's weird is that I had to press "Learn More" instead of clicking on the post before it allowed me to create my Profile. I guess just click on everything you get in the invitation email until it lets you through. I'm still trying to get my girlfriend's account to go through but she doesn't check it often so I'm doing it for her. lol.
Thx man.... I knew it was something like that... I will keep hitting them up different ways... pretty cool being on the front end of something new....
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can someone invite me to Google+? So much chatter about it... send it to jason.ordonez111@gmail.com

Thank you!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Safety Car

So the Google Maps update yesterday brought Transit Navigation and Offline Map Downloading:

One way we bring you new product features is through Google Labs—a collection of fun, experimental features you can turn on if you’re interested in the functionality. In fact, Google Maps itself started as a lab. In addition to our desktop Maps Labs, Google Maps for Android has a few tricks you can try out right from your phone. We’d like to introduce you to one new experimental feature, “Download map area," but also remind you of two other ones we already have: “Scale bar” and “Measure.”

Download map area
When you’re visiting an unfamiliar location, Google Maps for mobile is great for getting an idea of how close you are to your destination, where streets and landmarks are in relation to each other, or just for getting “un-lost.” But what if you don’t have a data signal, or you’re abroad and don’t have a data plan? We say that if you use Google Maps for mobile, you’ll never need to carry a paper map again. The “Download map area” lab in Google Maps 5.7 for Android is a step in making that statement true even when you’re offline.

Let’s say later you’re visiting Bordeaux during a trip to France. If you were to open Google Maps for mobile and zoom into Bordeaux without data coverage or wifi, you’d see the image on the left:

That’s not particularly useful when you’re trying to find out how close you are to the Cathedrale St. Andre. But a little advance planning and “Download map area” can help. Before you take your trip, while you still have access to WiFi or data coverage, you can open up any Places page in the world, click “More” to get the Place page menu, and download Google’s maps for a 10-mile radius.

The download can take as little as a minute or two. This download stores only the base map tiles and the landmarks on the map, so you still need a data connection to see satellite view and 3D buildings, search for Places and get directions. But we hope the level of detail available will help you find your way!

All your downloaded map areas can be managed in your Google Maps cache settings so you can delete maps you no longer need or if you want to free up storage. After 30 days, all downloaded map areas will be removed from your cache; they can be re-downloaded any time.

Source: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/...o-labs-in.html
Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,281 Likes on 4,885 Posts
Been away from this thread for quite some time, so Im not sure if someone already mentioned this, but Smart Keyboard is a damn good keyboard replacement.

Im a die-hard physical keyboard person and the Nexus S was my first non-keyboard phone. The stock keyboard is OK but I keep hitting the letter B instead of the spacebar. It was infuriating. Ive tried other keyboards, including Swype but just couldnt get used to it (and Swype seemed clumsy to me).

Ive been running Smart Keyboard for about a day and I love it. The prediction seems much better then the stock keyboard and most importantly I hit the spacebar when I want to. Its also got different skins you can download. Im just using all black (everything on my screen is black, it helps battery life with the AMOLED screen). Its got a lot of settings to customize it as well.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
The following users liked this post:
bgsm1th (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Been away from this thread for quite some time, so Im not sure if someone already mentioned this, but Smart Keyboard is a damn good keyboard replacement.

Im a die-hard physical keyboard person and the Nexus S was my first non-keyboard phone. The stock keyboard is OK but I keep hitting the letter B instead of the spacebar. It was infuriating. Ive tried other keyboards, including Swype but just couldnt get used to it (and Swype seemed clumsy to me).

Ive been running Smart Keyboard for about a day and I love it. The prediction seems much better then the stock keyboard and most importantly I hit the spacebar when I want to. Its also got different skins you can download. Im just using all black (everything on my screen is black, it helps battery life with the AMOLED screen). Its got a lot of settings to customize it as well.

Yup. Its my favorite keyboard as well and deserves to be mentioned again. I switch between Cupertino Black (dark iPhone skin) and the Galaxy S Bold skin all the time. I've tried pretty much all the other keyboards (HTC, Droid X, SwiftKey, Better Keyboard, etc.) and I keep coming back to it. The new SwiftKey Beta comes close but its only really good if you type the same stuff over and over again because it starts to predict your sentences even without typing a letter!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I think I'll check this out. I too kept hitting b instead of keyboard. And when I got swype it made my spacebar smaller when a settings button came down there and now i hit period instead of spacebar.

You know stock keyboard has a black theme too right?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I think I'll check this out. I too kept hitting b instead of keyboard. And when I got swype it made my spacebar smaller when a settings button came down there and now i hit period instead of spacebar.

LMSBO me too and I thought I was clumsy with my big thumbs when using SwiftKey.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 PM

Yea, I was running the black theme on mine.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

LMSBO me too and I thought I was clumsy with my big thumbs when using SwiftKey.
what the hell is lmsbo??

laughing my stupid balls off

first thing that came to mind

and civicdrivr, you're right the keyboard is much better with the space bar.

Only think I dont like that the old keyboard did is when you press space after you type a word and you get the symbols on top it leaves that space when you place the symbol. On stock keyboard it would go back a space and place the symbol right after the word.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Go into Settings > Keyboard Settings > Smart Keyboard Settings > Text Prediction > and check Swap Punctuation. That should fix it.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks guys for the invites... I am on G+ now!!!!

sweet mobile App too... just used it and I was like woah!

I also got my google music downloaded last nite... I am googled out now!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM

I use smart keyboard as well. I used swype for a while and got pretty good at it. The problem with swype is that sometimes you just want to type a few letters/words manually and it was ridiculously hard to do that. Also, when you had to swype a word that had double letters, it hardly ever worked. I could never swype "beer". It bugged the shit out of me!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I use smart keyboard as well. I used swype for a while and got pretty good at it. The problem with swype is that sometimes you just want to type a few letters/words manually and it was ridiculously hard to do that. Also, when you had to swype a word that had double letters, it hardly ever worked. I could never swype "beer". It bugged the shit out of me!

I also just wanted Swype in portrait mode and the regular keyboard in landscape. There was a utility that I downloaded to do that with, but it wasnt very reliable.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 PM

smart keyboard > *
Old 07-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Those of you that were/are running MIUI 1.6.24.....have you noticed huge battery drain? My battery would last about a half a day and I wasn't doing that much hard use. Well, I traced it back to the built in battery monitor. For whatever reason when that was on, it just ate the crap out of my battery. I'm a couple versions behind, so maybe this is fixed in the newer versions.

CG- do you use the MIUI battery monitor?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 PM

I also just wanted Swype in portrait mode and the regular keyboard in landscape. There was a utility that I downloaded to do that with, but it wasnt very reliable.

Ya, I almost always type in portrait. But if I do type in landscape I have a slide out for that (G2).
Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Those of you that were/are running MIUI 1.6.24.....have you noticed huge battery drain? My battery would last about a half a day and I wasn't doing that much hard use. Well, I traced it back to the built in battery monitor. For whatever reason when that was on, it just ate the crap out of my battery. I'm a couple versions behind, so maybe this is fixed in the newer versions.

CG- do you use the MIUI battery monitor?
Yeah I heard that thing drains but I haven't used it since the June builds. I'm on today's build and I'm not sure if that thing is fixed. I have pretty good battery life (I can get around a day with everything on) so I don't even bother looking at that thing any more. It could also be due to my UV kernel I'm using which is so smooth and efficient but as far as battery drains, none that I've seen in a while.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 AM

Yeah I heard that thing drains but I haven't used it since the June builds. I'm on today's build and I'm not sure if that thing is fixed. I have pretty good battery life (I can get around a day with everything on) so I don't even bother looking at that thing any more. It could also be due to my UV kernel I'm using which is so smooth and efficient but as far as battery drains, none that I've seen in a while.

Normally I don't use that monitor, but my battery life went down so I turned it on to see what was causing the drop. And then my battery life went WAY down. Normally, I get a solid day's use out of the battery with everything on. I guess it was just an anomaly that made me turn the monitor on. I'll update my rom this weekend and see if it still does it.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Go into Settings > Keyboard Settings > Smart Keyboard Settings > Text Prediction > and check Swap Punctuation. That should fix it.
thanks, i gotta say i'm really loving this keyboard.

I dont think i've been able to type this fast and consistently since my iphone.

And i have the trial version. It says theres a popup thats suppose to come?? I dont have that lol, maybe because my ROM blocks it? But I guess I dont need the paid one for now
Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

thanks, i gotta say i'm really loving this keyboard.

I dont think i've been able to type this fast and consistently since my iphone.

And i have the trial version. It says theres a popup thats suppose to come?? I dont have that lol, maybe because my ROM blocks it? But I guess I dont need the paid one for now
The full version allows you to resize the keyboard, space bar and a few other features. If you can type comfortably without the need of the above, I'd say stick to the trial version.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread