Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
rumor has it tmo's version of the S2 won't be out until sept.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The Verizon confirmation was retracted.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/s...bound-in-july/
Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Great news.

Thank you guys.
Thank you Aaron. LOL
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Oh for fucks sake. Announce the damn thing already.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
I pricked the stock ROM trying to remove root yesterday, so I could get the gingerbread update for my EVO... now all that works is this gay bad droid shit.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
So Samsung just updated the international Galaxy S phones to 2.3.4. I'm really liking their attitude about updates. They beat every other manufacturer out there to the latest Android OS besides the Nexus phones. I guess they're trying to correct their past mistakes. The builds should be ported to the US variants if they haven't been done already and this should speed up a stable build of CM 7.1.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 PM

I just installed htcclay's superCM7 on my G2 with 2.3.4. I'm liking it so far. Much snappier than the latest MIUI I was running. I was getting sick of the MIUI interface too.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I just installed htcclay's superCM7 on my G2 with 2.3.4. I'm liking it so far. Much snappier than the latest MIUI I was running. I was getting sick of the MIUI interface too.
I didn't know HTC Clay was still with Android. I remember a while back he said he would stop making ROMs for religious purposes and stick to WP7 to avoid spending too much time making ROMs. I guess he got bored of WP7. lol. I remember his work on the MT3G and his themes were awesome. I got bored of MIUI as well but I may get back to it in the future when I get tired of CM7. lol.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

The Matted Blues Theme is now compatible with the Theme Manager for CM7. No more having to flash it manually every time I flash a new nightly.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I think that's a good size. I really liked the Infuse, but I feel like it might be seriously underpowered in two years. Plus, no FM radio.
Ur so rite...

...only root would open the door to really enjoy that screen with at least enough speed and mods to keep your interest juices flowing... with the number of cool rigs out there, seems like soon there will be a bottle neck of Twinkie phones and no one to buy them... I know that since I rooted my EVO my interest in a new rig has diminished ( not disappeared )... LOL ... I have 5 lines that are eligible for updates rite now and I'm like... so what
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Gb is not playing as nice on my DroidX as the previous OS... Then again Verizon is messing with it, too...

When GB first installed, holding the Home button brought up a display with each of the home pages so I could tap and pick. Now it's back to the Verizon "most recently used" listing...

Also, stuff freezes up for a short period of time where it didn't use to...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Gb is not playing as nice on my DroidX as the previous OS... Then again Verizon is messing with it, too...

When GB first installed, holding the Home button brought up a display with each of the home pages so I could tap and pick. Now it's back to the Verizon "most recently used" listing...

Also, stuff freezes up for a short period of time where it didn't use to...
Holding home in other Android phones always displayed recently used apps. Didn't know Motorola changed that function. Are you talking about the Homescreen Leap function? Cause that usually only works when you're on the default Home screen or pinch to zoom on the Homescreen. Then again, I don't have any experience with the Droid X so I'm not exactly sure what Motorla has done differently. A factory reset might help in your case regarding the slow downs. Although, I would back everything up first. Without root though, it might be hard to save your app settings. If a factory reset doesn't fix the slowdowns get Verizon to replace your phone. They're usually pretty good about that stuff.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Didn't know about the pinch on the home page, will try that, although holding the home button did it for a day or two...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Safety Car

Yeah not sure about the pinch to zoom on the stock Moto launcher. Its a feature of Sense, TouchWiz, ADW, Launcher Pro, GoLauncher, and all the other 3rd Party Home Launchers. You could also try pressing the Home button twice and that usually activates the Homescreen Preview. Maybe Motorola changed it in GB.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 AM
i heart latin chicks

brought it back from the dead!

Day 1:

what happened was, my phone was rooted with unrevoked3 on the android 2.2 version; well the evo had an update for 2.3.3, so of course I wanted it. I downloaded it (while rooted) and tried to install and it kept locking up half way. Then I thought about how I had to remove root in order to update. So, I backed up everything on rom manager. Ok, right? So then I just tried to format everything back to stock, like the phone came out of the box. Cleared all data. Well, when I did that, root was still there; so I thought forget it, I dont have my laptop, I'll just do the recovery on my rom manager. Good, right? No. It would start, and go to the all white htc EVO 4G screen and stop. It stopped there until I took the battery out. A friend that I work with had his laptop, and had bAd droid... tried to load that, it worked (that is a terrible rom). Thought ok, its not bricked, what can it be? Maybe something on the SD that I erased by accident; so there is a kid who purchased an EVO the day before, so we copied all of his SD shit and put it on my SD. Fired up the EVO, stuck. Shit. So it got to the end of the day and I had to meet a girl for the Braves game, so I put the shitty bad droid back on so I could use it as a phone.

Day 2 (yesterday):

I can't stand bad droid, so my friend and I go on a hunt for a stock evo rom... we found one!. Completely format the phone, so all it has is HTC on it in black when you start the phone (this is how Sprint recieves the phone). Load the Sprint rom, I think it was 1.9... nothing, crashes half way. SHIT! Find another one, this is 2.1.... crashes half way, SHIT! Found a 2.2 (guy claimed his friend worked at Sprint, and it was directly from him...) It worked! back from the dead, and 2.3.3 loaded.

Now just hunting for a 2.3.3 root

Cliffs:
-fucked my phone up trying to un-root and load 2.3.3
-got to the point where only gay bad droid would load
-completely formatted the phone back to where htc shipps them out
-found a stock Sprint rom and loaded it
-back form the dead
Old 06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
...so, I'm back in California for a few weeks...I popped in the AT&T sim card into the Nexus ONE, and it looks like I can make calls (and probably text too, I haven't tried it), but no data... I thought I would at least get EDGE, no?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by is300eater
...so, I'm back in California for a few weeks...I popped in the AT&T sim card into the Nexus ONE, and it looks like I can make calls (and probably text too, I haven't tried it), but no data... I thought I would at least get EDGE, no?
Gotta set up your APN settings in the Settings --> Wireless Networks --> Mobile Networks --> Access Point Names --> Menu --> New APN:

Name: AT&T (or whatever name you like)
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank (Will read: <not set>)
Port: leave blank (Will read: <not set>)
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (Not sure if it's case sensitive, but I left it all capital letters)
Password: CINGULAR1 (Not sure if it's case sensitive, but I left it all capital letters)
Sever: leave blank (Will read: <not set>)
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: internet+mms

Don't forget to select it as well after you save the info above. Then you should get EDGE.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Also, 2.3.3 (no root or anything) did something to the keyboard sensitivity in certain areas, so that now I only get the correct response form the OSK spacebar 1 in 5 or less times... it's like only part of the visual button (top half) responds. Very frustrating...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

Well the latest nightly kinda borked my recovery so I had to restart from scratch. Decided to try out the Sense ROM:

They haven't been able to get Data to work yet so unfortunately I can't use it as a daily yet. Just playing around with it for the time being. This build is a Hybrid Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0 build. Sense on a SAMLOED screen is awesome I must say. The colors they use is perfect for the screen.

Gonna keep this on for a bit then on to the Honeycomb build. hehe. I'll probably go back to CM7 later.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 PM

I wanted to try out a sense ROM the other day, but for whatever reason, when I tried to dl a siulmagic sense ROM from ROM manager, the dl always failed.

The past few ROMs, I have been having some annoying wifi issues....sometimes when I am right next to my router and turn my wifi on and touch my network and select connect, it will start to connect and then just stop saying the network is out of range. then the wifi just shuts off. Sometimes forgetting the network and re-adding works, but most times I have to reboot. Doesn't happen all the time though. Seems pretty random.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Also, 2.3.3 (no root or anything) did something to the keyboard sensitivity in certain areas, so that now I only get the correct response form the OSK spacebar 1 in 5 or less times... it's like only part of the visual button (top half) responds. Very frustrating...
even, root my keyboard has problems. Thats really the only glitchy thing I encounter. SOmetimes I wont be able to click a letter, for some reason its mostly "a" and i have to go into landscape mode to click it.

When the keyboard keeps messing up like that, restart the phone or go into the manage apps and force stop it.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Gotta set up your APN settings in the Settings --> Wireless Networks --> Mobile Networks --> Access Point Names --> Menu --> New APN:

Name: AT&T (or whatever name you like)
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank (Will read: <not set>)
Port: leave blank (Will read: <not set>)
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (Not sure if it's case sensitive, but I left it all capital letters)
Password: CINGULAR1 (Not sure if it's case sensitive, but I left it all capital letters)
Sever: leave blank (Will read: <not set>)
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: internet+mms

Don't forget to select it as well after you save the info above. Then you should get EDGE.
Ok, so this didnt work, was there anything else left out? Like something I was suppose to check or uncheck?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by speedemon90
even, root my keyboard has problems. Thats really the only glitchy thing I encounter. SOmetimes I wont be able to click a letter, for some reason its mostly "a" and i have to go into landscape mode to click it.

When the keyboard keeps messing up like that, restart the phone or go into the manage apps and force stop it.
Thanks, glad to know it's not just me. Wish it wasn't the damn space bar, though...
Old 06-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Safety Car

Ok, so this didnt work, was there anything else left out? Like something I was suppose to check or uncheck?
Hmm...That's all usually. Just make sure the green dot is on the AT&T APN when you select it. How new is the AT&T Sim Card? If its old, it might not be registering properly to their network.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
The past few ROMs, I have been having some annoying wifi issues....sometimes when I am right next to my router and turn my wifi on and touch my network and select connect, it will start to connect and then just stop saying the network is out of range. then the wifi just shuts off. Sometimes forgetting the network and re-adding works, but most times I have to reboot. Doesn't happen all the time though. Seems pretty random.
Certain ROMs were having issues with WiFi and Gingerbread. It was fixed by assigning a static IP address and/or changing the number of channels higher than 11. Depending on the ROM you're using, it may or may not be fixed in more recent releases.

Thanks, glad to know it's not just me. Wish it wasn't the damn space bar, though...
I'm using a third party keyboard app which I can calibrate so maybe that's why I'm not experiencing it. Or it could just be the ROM that needs fixing. Check your multitouch by using a multiouch app like:

See if it registers when you press on the corners/spacebar area. If it does, then its not the ROM, its most likely the keyboard. Might have to use a third party one. If it doesn't, then its more likely a ROM issue.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:10 AM
I shoot people

Hmm...That's all usually. Just make sure the green dot is on the AT&T APN when you select it. How new is the AT&T Sim Card? If its old, it might not be registering properly to their network.
Okay, so here's the deal... We put my iPhone plan on hold because we told at&t that I moved out of the country (for now), and it IS true... When I got back the other night... my mom said to go ahead and use her cell phone because she doesn't hardly ever use it. I absolutely HATE her phone... so I decided to try slipping the sim card from her phone into my Nexus ONE, and was able to make calls and I think text.

You asked if it's "old"? Let's just say it doesn't even say "AT&T" on it, it says "Cingular"! That's okay... I'm only in town for about 3 weeks, I can live w/o browser on my phone... worst case, I can just stop by a Starbucks and use their wifi...

but there's another issue... so, finally I got my Nexus ONE to update to 2.3.4, I had to pay someone to do it, because I just couldn't... I suck at these things... and it even took this guy a LONG time...

When it was done... for some reason, the Home button and Search button wouldn't work... I looked online, and found out that by doing a factory reset, it should help... and it did....

But the issue now is the keyboard... it won't do word completion or pull up word suggestions... WTF?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 AM
I shoot people

ugh, never mind, I did another factory reset and it works now, I think the "Swype" beta is what screwed up the keyboard (with the word completion and suggestion). I think I'll leave out the Swype for now... it's harder to use than I thought anyway
Old 06-11-2011, 07:26 AM
i heart latin chicks

with the 2.3.3, my keyboard does not vibrate when I press a key, anymore. I already checked in settings and it is selected to do so. Every once in 1000 keys it will vibrate for 2 or 3 presses and then quit again..

vibrate does not work on ringer anymore, also.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

You asked if it's "old"? Let's just say it doesn't even say "AT&T" on it, it says "Cingular"! That's okay... I'm only in town for about 3 weeks, I can live w/o browser on my phone... worst case, I can just stop by a Starbucks and use their wifi...
Lol. Yeah there's your problem. AT&T should've replaced those sim cards for free a long time ago and they should still do it. Just walk into a store and tell them its not picking up data. I used to have Cingular as well before AT&T bought them out and they've replaced my sim card three times all for free.

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
with the 2.3.3, my keyboard does not vibrate when I press a key, anymore. I already checked in settings and it is selected to do so. Every once in 1000 keys it will vibrate for 2 or 3 presses and then quit again..

vibrate does not work on ringer anymore, also.
For the vibrate on ringer, check your sound settings. Settings --> Sound --> Vibrate and see what setting you have in there. Also download AudioManager from the market and make sure the vibrate option is checked on the ringer.

As for the keyboard, my only suggestion is to try another keyboard. The stock keyboard sucks any ways. Check out SwiftKey Beta X, Smart Keyboard Pro, Better Keyboard Pro, Keyboard from Gingerbread:

I prefer to use Smart Keyboard Pro over all of them. SwiftKey came second because after a while it started predicting what I wanted to say without even typing a letter. Its good if you type pretty much the same thing over and over but okay if you dont.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (06-13-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

HTC Inspire is $20 on upgrade. I'm so tempted just to grab one.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 PM

Lol. Yeah there's your problem. AT&T should've replaced those sim cards for free a long time ago and they should still do it. Just walk into a store and tell them its not picking up data. I used to have Cingular as well before AT&T bought them out and they've replaced my sim card three times all for free.

For the vibrate on ringer, check your sound settings. Settings --> Sound --> Vibrate and see what setting you have in there. Also download AudioManager from the market and make sure the vibrate option is checked on the ringer.

As for the keyboard, my only suggestion is to try another keyboard. The stock keyboard sucks any ways. Check out SwiftKey Beta X, Smart Keyboard Pro, Better Keyboard Pro, Keyboard from Gingerbread:

I prefer to use Smart Keyboard Pro over all of them. SwiftKey came second because after a while it started predicting what I wanted to say without even typing a letter. Its good if you type pretty much the same thing over and over but okay if you dont.
this.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
HTC Inspire is $20 on upgrade. I'm so tempted just to grab one.
20 bucks?

I would score one...
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Suzuka Master

I'll try that app out, but i'm pretty sure its just gingerbreads keyboard that has issues. I had the same thing before i was rooted, and the problem never went away when i rooted and went on a custom ROM.

It doesnt happen all the time. Just once in a while. Maybe a couple times a month??
Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Gooapple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B73NW...layer_embedded

Heavily modified hybrid Android/iOS running Android 2.2 Froyo.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

Went back to MIUI for now. Here's my current set up:

My Wallpaper:

MIUI 1.6.10
FuguMod Kernel
Screen Density at 220
Dark Blue Theme
Aeolus HD icons
Helvetica Neue Font (This is the iPhone 4 font. Wasn't pleased with how WebOS and WP7's font looked with my set up.)
UV -25, -50, -50, -75, -100, -125 mV
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I like MIUI's notification dropdown. But i prefer having all my apps in an app drawer
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

People were talking about a feature that if you put your phone upside down the speaker phone turns on.

Which phones have that, i think thats a really cool feature
Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

I know if you turn the Galaxy S2 over, everything goes silent.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

I like MIUI's notification dropdown. But i prefer having all my apps in an app drawer
You can still change the launcher just like every other build of Android. Or the easy way, create a folder with all of your apps and place it in the middle of the dock bar since you can put more than 4 apps on there. The MIUI default Launcher is pretty good. Its not as customizable as the other launchers but it has different transition effects and complements the whole MIUI look.

People were talking about a feature that if you put your phone upside down the speaker phone turns on.

Which phones have that, i think thats a really cool feature
I'm not sure which phones have that feature. Like CocheseUGA, I've only seen the flip the phone to silent feature. MIUI incorporates it, I know Sense UI as well. There's also another cool feature in MIUI where if you pick up the phone, the ringer volume goes down a few notches.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I shoot people

thanks, I'll stop by the store tomorrow

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread