Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
does the blue circle around your menus signify how much charge is on your phone? Thats pretty awesome!
Yes it does and it glows. I thought my modification was great. Wait til you see what they're doing at the MIUI forums. My mind is just blown at their designs like this one:

http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php...ve-Target-Lock

They've also figured out how to embed the number of missed calls/texts onto the icons. Since the lockscreen themes are new, the devs are slowly implementing more cool features. More lockscreen themes in here:

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showth...screen-Theming

I think the easier theming is what's keeping me on MIUI. Otherwise, CM7 all the way. hehe.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Free Peggle game for Android users!

http://www.amazon.com/PopCap-Games-I...d_i=2350149011
Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

I don't know how many of you know this but one of the recent Google Maps updates added a Traffic widget. It basically allows you to place certain destinations and give you an estimate of how much traffic there is to your destination from where you're at without opening Maps. More info here:

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21...-serious-time/

GPS does turn off after a while but when I tried it out on my phone, the GPS timeout was a little much longer than I felt comfortable with. Its probably due to the crappy GPS inside the Galaxy S phone but other people are saying theirs turn off pretty quickly. Hopefully future updates will allow you to change the length of time the GPS stays on then I'll keep the widget on.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 06-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Oh, now that's fucking cool.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
So, my memory is getting full, is there a easy way to transfer stuff over to another mini SD card?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yes it does and it glows. I thought my modification was great. Wait til you see what they're doing at the MIUI forums. My mind is just blown at their designs like this one:

http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php...ve-Target-Lock

They've also figured out how to embed the number of missed calls/texts onto the icons. Since the lockscreen themes are new, the devs are slowly implementing more cool features. More lockscreen themes in here:

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showth...screen-Theming

I think the easier theming is what's keeping me on MIUI. Otherwise, CM7 all the way. hehe.
wow... thats a really clean design!!!!! Im to darn lazy to switch over from CM7 so I just grabbed a new kernel...

Tiamat-Evo that came out in June... must say its smoother and faster ...now to find out if I can still make it thru the day on a single charge...

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Free Peggle game for Android users!

http://www.amazon.com/PopCap-Games-I...d_i=2350149011
thanks man... gonna check it out

I don't know how many of you know this but one of the recent Google Maps updates added a Traffic widget. It basically allows you to place certain destinations and give you an estimate of how much traffic there is to your destination from where you're at without opening Maps. More info here:

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21...-serious-time/

GPS does turn off after a while but when I tried it out on my phone, the GPS timeout was a little much longer than I felt comfortable with. Its probably due to the crappy GPS inside the Galaxy S phone but other people are saying theirs turn off pretty quickly. Hopefully future updates will allow you to change the length of time the GPS stays on then I'll keep the widget on.
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Oh, now that's fucking cool.
^^ ... def agree with ya!

Originally Posted by is300eater
So, my memory is getting full, is there a easy way to transfer stuff over to another mini SD card?
LOL... I was asking myself the same thing a couple days back but been too bucy to do anything about it....
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Safety Car

Yes. Just mount your phone as a USB drive then transfer them to your other memory source. Your read and write speed will be determined by your SD Card.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
wow... thats a really clean design!!!!! Im to darn lazy to switch over from CM7 so I just grabbed a new kernel...
Its pretty awesome. The animation is smooth and it functions as good as it looks. I was going to mod it a little more but I'll wait until he settles down on his design since its changing daily. I was gonna make the middle white circle turn into the color the lock lands on and make the innermost circle transparent. It looks good on the concepts I made.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

This is how my lockscreen looks like now:

When you press on the lock, it expands like the image in my previous post.

I just found out if you hold the Home button on the lockscreen, it enables the camera LED light on MIUI. Too bad the Galaxy S doesn't have an LED.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
how do you go about changing the codes that the devs use?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Safety Car

how do you go about changing the codes that the devs use?
For MIUI its actually pretty simple. Mind you, I do basic theming changes as I'm not advanced enough for the cooler stuff. The themes with MIUI use a ".mtz" extension which is recognized by their Theme Manager program. It automates the theme changes kinda like Cyanogen's and T-Mobile's Theme Manager which I think use the same codes but the MIUI themes change elements on-the-fly unlike Cyanogen's and T-Mobile's which requires a soft-reboot. The MIUI guys make base .mtz files which you can use as templates or if you want, you can use someone else's in the forums which is what I do.

The good news is that the .mtz files are actually just .zip files. So you can use any zip program in Windows (I use 7Zip), Mac to extract the contents of the .mtz file into a folder. Everything in the theme is inside there: images, icons, xmls, framework, fonts, pretty much everything that the theme will change. For the images, they're .PNG files which you can open up in any image editing software (I use Photoshop just out of old habit, although I hear GIMP is pretty good free alternative.) With Photoshop I can change transparency, colors, add new images, create new icons, etc. You could also just grab which ever images, icons you like and compile them into one zip file!

I've only begun messing with the XML files because my coding experience is pretty lacking. As with any XML file, you can open the file with a Notepad program (I use Notepad++ to preserve the file template not like the builtin Notepad app in Windows). I only know very basic programming as in keeping structures and variables but that's as far as I got into my coding experience (I wish I learned more when I had the time but what can you do ) so its very minimal but its good enough to change certain elements. With the XML files, you can add/remove the clock/date, move things around with the X and Y axis variable, change the shortcut the icons will launch, the charging animation, pretty much anything you can think/code up in relation to Android. (This is why its a very powerful OS if you know how to use it to your advantage. Its pretty much limitless if your coding is good enough.)

Once you're done making changes, you just rezip the files and then rename the .zip to .mtz. Plug that .mtz back to your SD Card and apply with the theme manager. Its that simple really.

For regular Android (Cyanogenmod included), you gotta deodex the APKs/frameworks if they're not already deodexed, decompile the APK/frameworks before you can touch the XMLs, .smali, and PNGs that's inside them. Then you would have to sign the APKs to make sure it doesn't get rejected by the OS. Its a little more work but its the same basic idea as above. Note that this will work for any file in Android even the ones you install from the market.

If you're interested in more, I suggest you check out the Theming subforums to get an idea of what they do. Some devs post their source codes to the .smali files they modify which will allow you to see what changes they're making. Java would also help a lot in this case as Android is heavy on it something I have no experience in so I do trial and error. lol. Luckily, MIUI doesn't touch that stuff but for regular Android, its the main stuff you mess with.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 06-24-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
I fiddled with the samsung galaxy tab 10.1.

Pretty nice. Like it more when comparing it to the moto xoom.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Just noticed... the EVO 4G is now $99 bucks if your gonna upgrade or go nouveau... thats pimp for a solid device that is rootable inside out...
Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
I fiddled with the samsung galaxy tab 10.1.

Pretty nice. Like it more when comparing it to the moto xoom.
what set it apart from the xoom?

I just got a small touch screen dell for work but u wanted a pad ... wonder if the practice will get me one?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

^From what I've been reading, the Galaxy Tab is a lot better than the Xoom. Better screen (Higher brightness, better viewing angles and better color saturation. Voodoo color is also available to tweak if even further.), lighter, way thinner, uses a WM audio chip (Voodoo sound is already possible).

A lot of Android devs are actually returning/selling their Xooms to get the Galaxy Tab especially since LTE still isn't upgradeable and the SD Card function is still disabled, months after its release. Motorola botched the Xoom pretty much although that should change within the next update but by then its a little too late already. Basically the Tab 10.1 is what the Xoom should've been.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Uhhh.... Any more pics of her?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Damn Cgfebtsx04, thats pretty awesome haha, seems to complicated for me. Or I guess I can learn, but finding the time to do that will be hard. I havent been finding the time to try out a whole lot of stuff lately, I still need to try out UV and all that.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:13 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
...so my mom, who's totally computer challenged, was recent introduced to Asian dramas online, especially Korean ones with Chinese subtitles (thanks to me, I guess). Now, she's hooked. My sister and I are looking to buy her something so she can stream them online...

My question is, how do Android tablets do in streaming online videos? We thought about netbooks... but the one I have does "okay" with streaming videos. I'm just wondering if tablets would be a better route for her.

anyone know?
Old 06-26-2011, 03:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Uhhh.... Any more pics of her?
Lol. Its not my wallpaper but the original theme creator's. You can get the original here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15175951/chickSidewalk.png

Damn Cgfebtsx04, thats pretty awesome haha, seems to complicated for me. Or I guess I can learn, but finding the time to do that will be hard. I havent been finding the time to try out a whole lot of stuff lately, I still need to try out UV and all that.
Once you get into it, you'll realize that it isn't too difficult. Just the time issue like you say. Wish there was more of it. Only if we didn't have to sleep...lol.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Safety Car

...so my mom, who's totally computer challenged, was recent introduced to Asian dramas online, especially Korean ones with Chinese subtitles (thanks to me, I guess). Now, she's hooked. My sister and I are looking to buy her something so she can stream them online...

My question is, how do Android tablets do in streaming online videos? We thought about netbooks... but the one I have does "okay" with streaming videos. I'm just wondering if tablets would be a better route for her.

anyone know?
Depending on which sites she streams her Asian dramas from, you can probably get away with an Android tablet. What I suggest you do is try to stream the shows on your Nexus One and see how the quality is. Try it on regular flash and even on SkyFire. If it works decently on your phone, then it should work pretty good on an Android Tablet because they're faster. I stream sports games perfectly fine on my phone from those sites that link to them but its probably because the resolution is not the greatest even though they get hammered.

If the streaming is no good on your phone I suggest you stay away from the tablets and probably look at a real laptop or take a look at the Chrome books coming out in the next couple of months.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 10:24 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
This company, Mashwork, is trying to see if they can predict phone sales based on online conversations. Will be cool to see the real numbers once the phones are released.

Galaxy SII vs Droid Bionic

http://mashable.com/2011/06/26/superphone-battle/
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM

CG- I installed the lockscreen theme as in the first post on this page. I also have the pic of the girl. I set the girl as my lockscreen photo and it stayed there for a while, but now for some reason my lockscreen pic is the same as my homescreen. Even when I select a different pic, it stays the same as the home screen. I can set the girl as my wallpaper, but it's a zoomed in version and doesn't have the same affect.

Any thoughts?

Running MIUI 1.6.17
Old 06-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
CG- I installed the lockscreen theme as in the first post on this page. I also have the pic of the girl. I set the girl as my lockscreen photo and it stayed there for a while, but now for some reason my lockscreen pic is the same as my homescreen. Even when I select a different pic, it stays the same as the home screen. I can set the girl as my wallpaper, but it's a zoomed in version and doesn't have the same affect.

Any thoughts?

Running MIUI 1.6.17
Have you tried updating to MIUI 1.6.24 which is the latest build? Reason being, the MIUI team changed one or two lines of code in the latest build for the lockscreens, mainly for bugfixes. I know that MIUI.us fixed it to correspond to the 1.6.24 build so maybe that's why you're having issues. If you don't want to upgrade to 1.6.24, try out his Colors 1.1 build (1.2 is his latest and is built for 1.6.24 otherwise they're the same exact thing) as that one was built for 1.6.17. MIUI updates every Friday and the versions correspond to the date of release.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 06-26-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

CyanogenMod just released 7.1.0 RC-1 for the people afraid of flashing nightlies:

The first release candidate of CyanogenMod-7.1 is ready for testing!

This version is an update to Android 2.3.4, includes many new features, and brings support to several new devices. We are now supporting various Samsung devices (Galaxy S, Captivate, and Vibrant), the LG Optimus 2X /T-Mobile G2x, HTC Incredible S, and Motorola CLIQ/CLIQ XT. A full list of features and changes can be found in the CHANGELOG.

This release candidate should be fairly stable for daily use, but always do a backup first in case something goes wrong. You can help out by giving us feedback on the forums and reporting bugs at the issue tracker.

The best way to install CM7.1-RC1 is to use ROM Manager, or you can manually download it from our mirror network.

Many thanks to EVERYONE (we have over 400K CM7 users!) for your continued support, and everyone who has contributed their time to making CM the best Android distribution available!
Source: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cyanogenmod-7-1-0-rc1

Remember, this is Android 2.3.4 and should accommodate the Google Video Talk.

Quick general changelog:

7.1.0-pre
•Common: Android 2.3.4 (Google)
•Common: Bluetooth mouse support - Scott Brady
•Common: Improve notification swipe-to-clear - Evan Charlton
•Common: Improve album-artist support in media scanner - Paul Crovella
•Common: Profile improvements and bugfixes - Martin Long
•Common: RTL text improvements - Eyad Aboulouz, Eran Mizrahi
•Common: Wake on volume key option - Sven Dawitz
•Common: Support for revoking application permissions - Plamen K. Kosseff
•Common: Latest Superuser app - ChainsDD
•Common: Control brightness by sliding on statusbar - Danesh M
•Common: Add "copy all" to context menu - Danesh M
•Common: Lockscreen haptic and statusbar indicators toggle - Danesh M
•Common: Nicer timepicker/datepicker - Jiri Tyr
•Common: Configuration 0/90/180/270 rotation - Jonas Larsson, Scott Brady
•Common: DSP Manager bugfixes and improvements - Antti S Lankila
•Common: Support for launching apps via gestures in the background - Jiri Tyr
•Common: Option to hide hold button during call - Roberto Leinardi
•Common: Allow using wildcards for call blacklisting - Nihanth Subramanya
•Common: Option to allow in-call lockscreen to match main lockscren - Sven Dawitz
•Common: Option to notify about incoming call only in background when screen is on - Pavel Kucera
•Common: ADWLauncher- Transitions, catalog improvements, bugfixes - John Van Etten
•Common: Optional GMT correction for SMS/MMS timestamps - Terry Hau
•Common: Add FM Seek for TI devices - KalimochoAz
•Common: Add FM support for SI4708 devices (Blade, V9, Racer) - Stéphane Konstantaropoulos
•Common: Add FM seek implementation to FM application - Tom Giordano
•Click, Motorola: Speed up photo recording - Emilio López
•Click, Motorola: Add Geolocation to photo app - KalimochoAz
•Vision/Glacier/Ace/Speedy/Vivo: 2.6.35 kernel and updated userspace
•Buzz: 2.6.35 kernel - Arne Coucheron
Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Suzuka Master

awesome! Cant wait till my ROM gets the update!!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 AM

Have you tried updating to MIUI 1.6.24 which is the latest build? Reason being, the MIUI team changed one or two lines of code in the latest build for the lockscreens, mainly for bugfixes. I know that MIUI.us fixed it to correspond to the 1.6.24 build so maybe that's why you're having issues. If you don't want to upgrade to 1.6.24, try out his Colors 1.1 build (1.2 is his latest and is built for 1.6.24 otherwise they're the same exact thing) as that one was built for 1.6.17. MIUI updates every Friday and the versions correspond to the date of release.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot tonight.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

Galaxy S II rumored for a July 29th release here in the states. Disappointing that it's not 4G, though.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
For anyone considering 4G with Verizon in Miami I was told by the rep at BJ's that it doesn't go south of Kendall Drive nor west of 117th Ave. Yet Hialeah has it. If youre local that's WTF
Old 06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

More MIUI lockscreens here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1134657

They made a Sense 3.0 Lockscreen that functions almost exactly like the real thing!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Safety Car

Here's a screenshot of Vukandric's Sense 3.0 lockscreen for MIUI:

I changed the way the date displayed in the manifest.xml. Might change the way Music Launcher is launched so it asks me if I want to launch the MIUI Music or Google Music.

Just for fun, here's the iPhone lockscreen:

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 06-27-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Suzuka Master

We exclusively reported details of Google’s first Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone — either a Nexus device, or a “pure Google” flagship handset from one of Google’s key partners — and we now have more information surrounding the world’s most anticipated Android phone. We reported that the handset would nix physical menu keys going forward, and would feature a monster 720p -resolution display, and we have now confirmed with our source that the screen itself is branded as a “Super AMOLED HD” display. The branding confirms our suspicions that Samsung will indeed be the manufacturer. We have also confirmed that the processor in the upcoming device will be an OMAP4460, just as we originally reported. Hit the jump for more.

This upcoming superphone will not have any carrier preloads or OEM customizations, which goes without saying for a Nexus phone or a reference/flagship Android offering. The current codename is “Prime”, and our source believes it’s possible that the phone could launch as the “Google Nexus Prime.” We also have information that Google’s onslaught of high-end Android devices isn’t going to stop anytime soon. With the Motorola DROID and Motorola XOOM, Google launched its flagship Android devices with one carrier and one OEM, but we’re hearing things might be switched up this time around. Our source indicated that Google could be working with multiple carriers and multiple OEMs on their own “exclusive” Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) halo devices, and that they may all launch around the same time.

Imagine flagship releases from Motorola, HTC, and LG with Ice Cream Sandwich available on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, and Sprint all at practically the same time… in addition to a Google Nexus handset from Samsung. The summer’s going to be hot, but it looks like the fall might get even hotter
I'm excited!! I hope i'm eligible for yearly upgrades lol, or else i'll just get every other nexus phone

this phone sounds like a beast though!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure if I should buy an HTC EVO 3D or Iphone 5 when it
Comes out.... any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

havent really read reviews on the evo 3d, but I dont imagine a 3d screen being useful

So neither

get the samsung galaxy s II
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Galaxy S II rumored for a July 29th release here in the states. Disappointing that it's not 4G, though.
Source?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

other than LTE, how much faster is the other companies fake 4G compared to their 3G speeds. I dont believe its a whole lot faster yet, if i'm correct.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Pro

other than LTE, how much faster is the other companies fake 4G compared to their 3G speeds. I dont believe its a whole lot faster yet, if i'm correct.
Actually there is a big difference.... w/ my Ipad I run about close to 700kb/second vs 5-6 mb/second with my wife's 4g phone.

Last edited by jordexj; 06-28-2011 at 02:02 PM.
speedemon90 (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Source?

Saw it on a random search I did for it a few days ago. It was a legit site.

If you want to wait until Friday, I can try to find where it was.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Pro

No thanks for answering your questions? Where's your manners? lol... just want to pop my cherry when it comes to getting a thanks!
CocheseUGA (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
After having the Galaxy S, I'm sure the S2 will be a fine phone. I'm impressed with the 8meg camera WITH A FLASH, but the rest of the mechanics don't overwhelm the S1 to make the jump. Of course it is running Gingerbread, and even though the S1 upgraded from Ecclair to Froyo, I doubt the S1 will be provided with Gingerbread.

What is a little letdown on the S2 is the frame/case... too much plastic. It doesn't even say Galaxy S on back or anywhere. At least the Samsung Eternity would glow different colors around the perimeter of the case when a call came.

The only things that will make me jump early are: 1) Better battery life and 2) a real home button.

I'm guessing that in the middle of a 2 year contract with ATT, they'll sell the S2 at $599.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
how does one go about flashing their phone? im a little worried since it doesnt seem as straight forward as jailbreaking.... but i want android 2.3.4

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread