Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Here's an easier way to root it using the guide above. After using visionary to gain permaroot and su access. Use Root Explorer and navigate to the gfree file you pushed in /data/local/ (If you weren't able to adb push it, you can copy and paste it using Root Explorer)

Long press and hold on gfree --> Permissions. A Chmod 777 in Permissions language means read, write, execute for owner, reader and group so check all those boxes --> Hit ok.

Open terminal and type "cd /data/local" then "./gfree -f" Follow the rest of the instructions.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 07-17-2011 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
speedemon90 (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts

I didnt space... dads out right now i'll try it when i come back.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90

I didnt space... dads out right now i'll try it when i come back.
Yeah that could do it. lol. the space in between is pretty small in the instructions but its there if you copy and paste.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

i feel so stupid now.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

so where can i learn everything about MIUI

I just stumbled upon the music player on the lockscreen by double clicking the time haha

Its pretty awesome though.

Only problem I've seen, the keyboard responsiveness is not as good as my other ROM. Using the smart keyboard. But I'm gonna put in a different kernel, and maybe overclock to 1.2, so that may solve the problem.

Also themes!! I wont those cool themes!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

ohh and this launcher they on this, is amazingly smooth. Even with the 3D transition, which ADW has as well. But it is extremely smooth!!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

so where can i learn everything about MIUI

I just stumbled upon the music player on the lockscreen by double clicking the time haha

Its pretty awesome though.

Only problem I've seen, the keyboard responsiveness is not as good as my other ROM. Using the smart keyboard. But I'm gonna put in a different kernel, and maybe overclock to 1.2, so that may solve the problem.

Also themes!! I wont those cool themes!
http://forums.miui.us/forum.php

or

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/

Most of their stuff overlap as in themes and mods. I know MIUI.us did a hidden features video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4I6...layer_embedded

Thread here: http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php...cluded-6.30.11

I personally like the Volume Music Skip Mod:

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showth....6.17-(Updated)

Trying to find an updated mod that hides the clocks and the alarm icons on the status bar. Might have to decompile SystemUI.apk myself and do it if no one else does it. Although, I'm afraid MIUI changed a lot of code and I probably wouldn't get far, as I can't implement the Bold font on the Launcher icons when I decompiled the Launcher2.apk because of the new code.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

Also every week, after the Friday updates, MIUI.us tries to create a video summarizing the changelogs. Here's Friday's (1.7.15) changelog video which brings the new FlipClock and a few other new cool features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRsDE...layer_embedded
Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

sweet thanks michael! I'll check it out

wow i'm glad that volume thing is there. Its on CM7 as well. I used it all the time. Its helpful when walking to school so i dont have to take my phone out of my pocket and when driving, i dont need to look at the phone.
Glad to know they have that feature.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

haha and i just noticed that miui.us has a themes section. I never scrolled all the way down before, so I didnt see it
Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Lol. Yeah, personally I use the MIUI official dark theme. There are some texts that are off but its about 90% readable. If you have an app that is unreadable, turn of Compatibility mode in that app. Menu --> Settings --> Programs Tab --> Manage Applications --> Scroll down to the app --> Turn off Compatibility Mode.

http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php...4-Both-Updated!

Remember, you can mix and match with the themes so if you don't like the icons, lockscreen, wallpaper being used, just change them individually in the theme manager. I use the Dark Theme with Faenza Icons and the Sense 3.0 Lockscreen or Default Lockscreen. Its the greatest feature of MIUI, IMO, and its easy to create your own if you put the time into it. I posted this earlier for the lockscreens but they update them often so you can see what you like here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1134657

Also, one extra feature they didn't cover in the hidden features video is that when you Hold and Press on a toggle in the notification bar, it'll lead you to the Toggle settings. For example, Press and Hold on the Bluetooth toggle and it will send you to the Bluetooth Settings. No need to press Menu --> Settings --> System --> Bluetooth. Its pretty useful.

Forgot to mention, most of the themes besides the default will cause Auto-Rotation to lag. Personally, its not a big deal for me because I turn it off but if you use the feature a lot, it may bug you. It takes about 2-3 seconds before it rotates. They're still trying to figure out what's causing it with the custom themes but its most likely due to the images that they're using not being optimized. Until then, you either live with it or stay on the default theme.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 07-17-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

why doing the permaroot, the guide i read said to click temproot on boot in visionary. Can I uncheck that?
Cause everytime I turn on his device some visionary symbol comes up and says rooting device.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Safety Car

why doing the permaroot, the guide i read said to click temproot on boot in visionary. Can I uncheck that?
Cause everytime I turn on his device some visionary symbol comes up and says rooting device.
It sounds like your device hasn't done a Permroot. So it seems its able to do a Temproot but hasn't done a Permroot so you're getting the prompt every time you reboot to maintain su after each reboot. All I see is step 12 in the guide you posted:

12. If this is the first time you have rooted your device you will need to run visionary again (temproot w/set system r/w after root checked and then attempt permroot) to make root privileges permanent and then reboot again. Now "su" should work properly for you.
If its trying to Permroot its not sticking hence giving you the root menu after each reboot. So after getting S-off. You have to run Visionary again then do a Permroot.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
It sounds like your device hasn't done a Permroot. So it seems its able to do a Temproot but hasn't done a Permroot so you're getting the prompt every time you reboot to maintain su after each reboot. All I see is step 12 in the guide you posted:

If its trying to Permroot its not sticking hence giving you the root menu after each reboot. So after getting S-off. You have to run Visionary again then do a Permroot.
yea i did that. It didnt work i guess??

The part you put in bold, is that saying I need to check temp root on boot and the other thing.

Why check temproot on boot when i'm doing a permroot?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

i dont think i have permroot. I got ROM manager to install clockwork and when i went into recovery mode when i clicked on any of the options like backup or install zip or whatever, i only saw the rom manager symbol, it wouldnt work. Or is that another issue?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

okk i did it again and unchecked it. It seems to be fine too

clockwork runs normally also.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

okk i did it again and unchecked it. It seems to be fine too

clockwork runs normally also.
They probably forgot to change that part. But yes, you don't need TempRoot if you have PermaRoot. You should be fine with it unchecked.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

so if i dl a lockscreen from the site you showed, where do i put it in my sd card to show up on theme manager?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

nvm instructions are on the link provided
Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

Awesome the Bold Font Icons still works for MIUI. It seems they only changed the XML titles. The code is the same otherwise. If you want to use it here you go:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jcs8ce7gbb5s9wl

How to install:
1. Download the Launcher2.apk above
2. Backup your original Launcher2.apk (just in case) to your sdcard folder
3. Copy the modified Launcher2.apk I made to your "/system/app/" folder and overwrite your Launcher2.apk
4. Change the permissions to rw-r--r-- using Root Explorer like so:

5. Hit Home and your Icons should look like so:

If for some reason you're getting force closes after doing this mod, I suggest you overwrite the Launcher2.apk with the original backup. It shouldn't cause any problems though. You can also just reflash the MIUI ROM again if you don't know how to push the original Launcher2.apk

How to revert:

Place the original Launcher2.apk on your sdcard and open a command prompt with ADB:

Code:
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount /system
# cp /sdcard/Launcher2.apk /system/app/Launcher2.apk
# chmod 644 /system/app/Launcher2.apk

Gonna work on the SystemUI.apk in a bit and get rid of the USB debugging and Alarm icons and probably a few others if I can.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 07-17-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

Okay finished editing SystemUI.apk and Services.jar along with the Launcher2.apk. Basically, I've removed the 12 hour clock (24 Hour clock is still present), Alarm Clock icon, USB Debugging icon. Also removed the Carrier logo using an app called Carrier Name from XDA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...k#post10363954

Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 AM
Suzuka Master

jeez i'm having problems with my dads mytouch 4g. I couldnt get MIUI to work on it. I would do a factory reset/ wipe both cache, install it reboot and i see the mytouch 4g symbol come up, then its just a black screen, but you can tell the screen is just on. Its like the ROM is not there. Then I pulled the battery tried installing it again, didnt work. So i restored a backup i made before doing that, good thing i did too. I know it has to be rooted because I shouldnt be able to run those programs, and when i got it back on i just quickly went to terminal emulator and typed in "su" and it says terminal emulator has been granted superuser permissions or w/e it says. And the "#" symbol comes up. I got the download link from MIUI.us for the mytouch 4g, maybe it was a bad link.

ANyway i'll continue next week since i'm back in riverside and not home anymore..

Now back to MIUI, loving it so far. I got the lockscreen which you had before, michael, the one with the girl and you can drag the unlcock thing to start up different apps. My favorite part of the phone right now.

Only problem I'm having is my keyboard. I'm using smart keyboard pro, and it longs every now and then, by skipping a touch i make. Dunno whats wrong with that.

My phones gonna keep changning everyday as themes go till i find the perfect one. I know the style of lockscreen i want, gonna see if there are different colors. And the main theme i have is a dark theme, but in messaging app the names are black so you cant read it so i'll need to find something else for that.

Otherwise great ROM. Really loving it. It looks so modern/futuristic.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Safety Car

jeez i'm having problems with my dads mytouch 4g. I couldnt get MIUI to work on it. I would do a factory reset/ wipe both cache, install it reboot and i see the mytouch 4g symbol come up, then its just a black screen, but you can tell the screen is just on. Its like the ROM is not there. Then I pulled the battery tried installing it again, didnt work. So i restored a backup i made before doing that, good thing i did too. I know it has to be rooted because I shouldnt be able to run those programs, and when i got it back on i just quickly went to terminal emulator and typed in "su" and it says terminal emulator has been granted superuser permissions or w/e it says. And the "#" symbol comes up. I got the download link from MIUI.us for the mytouch 4g, maybe it was a bad link.

ANyway i'll continue next week since i'm back in riverside and not home anymore..

Now back to MIUI, loving it so far. I got the lockscreen which you had before, michael, the one with the girl and you can drag the unlcock thing to start up different apps. My favorite part of the phone right now.

Only problem I'm having is my keyboard. I'm using smart keyboard pro, and it longs every now and then, by skipping a touch i make. Dunno whats wrong with that.

My phones gonna keep changning everyday as themes go till i find the perfect one. I know the style of lockscreen i want, gonna see if there are different colors. And the main theme i have is a dark theme, but in messaging app the names are black so you cant read it so i'll need to find something else for that.

Otherwise great ROM. Really loving it. It looks so modern/futuristic.
You can verify the files you download with the md5 sum. Its what I usually do before flashing anything. Just search for an md5 verifier and compare it to the md5 sum they give at the download page to make sure your download file is not corrupted. What I suggest you do when you boot your dad's MT4G, keep it plugged into a computer and start a command prompt on the computer. Type in "adb shell logcat" to see what's going on as it boots. It may give you an error device not found if done too early so just keep trying it until it starts to show the logcat. You'll get an idea of whether or not the phone is doing anything during boot or is just stuck in a loop. If it is doing something and its still blank, just let it be. Sometimes the first boot is the longest boot as it optimizes the apks especially in custom ROMs, etc.

For the messaging app, try turning off Compatibility Mode.

Homescreen --> Menu --> Settings --> Programs Tab --> Manage applications --> Scroll down to Messaging app --> Turn off Compatibility.

You can also try a different theme as some of the themes have yet to be updated to be compatible with 1.7.15 as they changed some of the codes.

I'm not having problems with the keyboard. It might be a kernel issue like you said earlier where the touchpoints are misconfigured in the stock kernel. With SmartKeyboard Pro, you can calibrate the keyboard if needed so you may want to look into that. Also, try turning off haptic feedback if its lagging. Something may be going on with that.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

It looks like the MyTouch 4G version from MIUI.us is corrupted:

http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php...-install-1.7.8

Looks like XDA is more up to date with MIUI builds than MIUI.us for the MyTouch 4G. You can get the latest version of MIUI from here for the MyTouch 4G:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1060415
The following users liked this post:
speedemon90 (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Suzuka Master

It looks like the MyTouch 4G version from MIUI.us is corrupted:

http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php...-install-1.7.8

Looks like XDA is more up to date with MIUI builds than MIUI.us for the MyTouch 4G. You can get the latest version of MIUI from here for the MyTouch 4G:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1060415
Nice catch, I'll put this on his phone then. Thanks a lot
Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Suzuka Master

interesting, my messaging app was like that because compatibility mode was turned off, i turned it on and there was white text then
Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Suzuka Master

I remember a while back I read about some weather app that had some cool animations for MIUI, do you know which one that is??
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

I remember a while back I read about some weather app that had some cool animations for MIUI, do you know which one that is??
http://www.miui-dev.com/miui-weather/

Im not sure if it still works. The owner of MIUIAndroid is the one who maintains the server for it and with the drama thing decided to turn it off a while back. He may have turned it back on. The app is okay. It had a lot of limitations (no geolocation updates, and not really customizable) compared to Beautiful Widgets. If you want just the look, you're better off getting Fancy Widgets and the MIUI theme for it. It'll be more functional.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

looks good. what is that app to the left of root explorer?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
looks good. what is that app to the left of root explorer?
AudioManager Small Widget.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

It helps let me know what my different volume levels are without having to look elsewhere. The Pro version has some skins to match your themes.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

Someone at MIUIAndroid created an Extended Settings Mod that does the same thing I did with my Status Bar but far more noob friendly as you can change it through the menu:

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showth...s-Menu-Options

Flash it using CWM and you should get an extra menu setting to hide the USB Debugging icon, Alarm clock icon, the Clock, and/or the carrier name.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Safety Car

Nice catch, I'll put this on his phone then. Thanks a lot
MIUI.us just updated their MyTouch 4G build.

http://forums.miui.us/content.php?12-ROM-Downloads

It seems they were able to get a dev to keep the builds up to date so from now on they should be up to date every Friday. Compared to the XDA build, this will probably not have any modifications from the Chinese base.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Safety Car

I have to say I'm getting excellent battery life with TK-Glitch's V11 kernel. I pulled the plug on my phone at 8:30 AM this morning and its currently 10:30 PM and my battery is still at 50%. I even did some stress testing to make sure my OC and UV was stable during that time so its actually really good. I'm draining battery at around ~ 4% per hour with my regular use of calling and texting and surfing the web.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1041532

His kernel is also compatible for CM7 on the Vibrant and Captivate. I'm currently OCed to 1.2 GHz with UV all around. His kernel also overclocks the GPU just slightly and is very noticeable in games and web browsing. I'm hoping they can figure out how to control the OC a lot better in the next releases. Apparently, Samsung heavily underclocked the Hummingbird GPUs to 200 MHz from 400 MHz that the chip is capable of. So if they can OC it even slightly to 300 MHz, they can futureproof this phone even more!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Safety Car

Did you guys see the Game & Square Theme for ADW Launcher EX. It looks pretty cool.

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.gbianchi.gns

Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm using MIUI's current build plus fix pack on my Dinc 1. I haven't ran into any issues as of late besides 1 ghost restart. Other than that it's OC'ed to 1113 mhz. I'm using SetCPU to control the frequency to save battery life.

I'm currently on an annual tour and it's my life line. With heavy use I can have the temp hold at about 50.5 Celcius. This is inbetween gaming, surfing, and streaming.

I currently have no plans on changing ROMs since I just switched over from CM7...which is still one of the best ROMs on the market. MIUI just seems more beautiful.

Not sure if anyone has used the Bunker Buster DTR on MIUI. It breaks the mobile network setting. If you want that back you can just flash over the Bunker Buster Reverser and you'll be able to get back into the settings. I didn't notice a huge difference since Verizon isn't in Alaska...
Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 AM
Suzuka Master

/miui is definitely more beautiful, but CM7 is quite a bit faster I think. Its a sacrifice, you have to make, and i'm able to live with it for now
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
AudioManager Small Widget.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

It helps let me know what my different volume levels are without having to look elsewhere. The Pro version has some skins to match your themes.
Thanks, I just downloaded it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Safety Car

Heads up! Staples has a $100 off tablets in-store today excluding the HP TouchPad:

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/...pon.html?n=927

Might pick up a Tab 10.1. Not sure yet.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

Just picked up an ASUS Transformer for $299 at Office Depot. They price matched the Staples coupon. Only problem is once I open it, its only in for exchange. Deciding whether to keep it or return it for a Galaxy Tab 10.1.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
GT 10.1 has my vote.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread