Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Nice. I love his settings on the Nexus S, but supposedly he's working on a new driver for it to remove the green flicker on screen on/off with ICS roms. But the colors are amazing. I dont think I could go back to a standard screen.
Yeah he was working hard on the Voodoo sound for the ASUS Transformer ICS which was his major priority. Now that he's got that out of the way, he's working on all the other things Voodoo. I remember that green flicker on my SGS back in the day as well. It was related to the gamma being too low. Not sure if its the same case for the Nexus S. Maybe try bumping up your colors just a little higher.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,258 Likes on 4,873 Posts
It is. Unfortunately, with ICS, if you set gamma to anything other then 0 across the board, you get flicker. He was working on something completely different. I forget the name, but it wasnt "Voodoo".
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Time Warner Streaming App for Rooted users:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=24975697

I don't understand why companies are blocking rooters/jailbreakers when its a lot easier to pirate media off a desktop/laptop with the same streaming function.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the new servers that the Cyanogenmod team picked up are starting to come online. Regular nightlies should start pushing out to all compatible devices:

We put out a call for help back in February asking for support from the community to help us get our nightly builds back up to speed. The community answered our call in force! With the contributions, we were able to acquire three Dell R610 servers. Each server has dual Xeon X5675 CPUs (12 cores total) and 32 GB of RAM. These are some serious machines! We also purchased a few new devices for our team members with what was left. Your donations have helped us to grow immensely.

The servers have been installed and are now starting builds. These machines can build CM9 in about 9 minutes, pretty serious stuff. We still need to set up a scheduler to automate the process of building every target- I expect this to be done in the next few days. We’ll make another announcement when nightly builds are being made for all targets on a predictable basis.
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/new-...servers-online

I'm thinking of going back to CM9 on my Nexus since a lot of the extra customizations provided by AOKP I don't really use. I've already flashed CM9 on my Galaxy S and its pretty smooth as it is without all the extra stuff I don't really use.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Time Warner Streaming App for Rooted users:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=24975697

I don't understand why companies are blocking rooters/jailbreakers when its a lot easier to pirate media off a desktop/laptop with the same streaming function.
Especially when jbers easily bypass them. I have a feeling it's coming from Android/iOS also.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,429 Posts
sdcard? But my Galaxy Nexus doesn't even have external memory

Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM

That refers to internal storage. Mine says the same.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Safety Car

So finally got around to installing CM9 on my Nexus and wow what a speed difference from AOKP. Not sure if my AOKP build just needed a good wipe but CM9 is noticeably faster than AOKP with Franco's kernel. Scrolling and the UI interface is just a tad bit smoother than AOKP. It doesn't have as much features as AOKP but it has all the stuff I need.

CM9 also introduces Emoji for SMS Messaging in the stock SMS app. Don't really use it but for people who care its there now built into the stock SMS app. CM9 also introduces NFC tag writing for profiles so you don't need a separate app to write your tags. Its not as flexible as NFC Tag Launcher but it does what you need it to do and automates your Sound Profiles. Some screenshots:

Emoji:

F6Fao.png a160w.png

NFC tag writer built in for profiles:

YOLUi.png XOy2f.png Qn8JE.png
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Safety Car

Oh here's a screenshot of the Voodoo Display app as well:

9H9tU.png

Right now I currently have it set to Cold with Content Adaptive display off and my custom Gamma and RGB settings in the Franco Kernel updater app. Colors are much more accurate now.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,253 Likes on 6,213 Posts
Seriously?

hTSZs.png
Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Gotta love AT&T.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Google Drive came out today:

https://drive.google.com/start?authuser=0#home

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cHBzLmRvY3MiXQ..

5 GB of free online storage or you can purchase more for a monthly free. Hopefully, Titanium Backup will integrate this into a directory to save backup files so all my devices can backup and restore into one place in the cloud. Still waiting for notification since I guess people who paid for storage get priority or something.

EDIT: Just got my notification for Google Drive.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 04-24-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
sweet! Time to stop using dropbox
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
lol only 5 for free? I have 13.2gb for dropbox free Works great as a quick way to upload photos.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM

Shit, I think I have 5GB with Dropbox and 25 or 50gb - I forget - with Box.net. I rarely use either
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Shit, I think I have 5GB with Dropbox and 25 or 50gb - I forget - with Box.net. I rarely use either
Even though box.net offers me 50gb of storage, I use dropbox all the time because of the integrated folder within Windows. I don't have to login, click upload, browse for the file, and click OK. I just have to copy and paste it into my drop box folder in Windows. I don't know why other companies are not imitating this feature.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM

^ Thats exactly why I dont use it.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
lol only 5 for free? I have 13.2gb for dropbox free Works great as a quick way to upload photos.
You have to realize that the 5 you get from Drive does not include the 10 you are getting in gmail and the over 10 you are getting from Picasa.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
No 4Glte service here in Portland. How am I supposed to shop eBay from my phone without service. Is this the 4th or 5th outage?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
got my email to start using google drive... sweet!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Samsung confirming the Quadcore Exynos 4 Processors on the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S III:

Samsung's New Quad-Core Application Processor Drives Advanced Feature Sets in Smartphones and Tablets

Designed on 32nm HKMG process, new energy-efficient chip exceeds 1.4GHz per core

SEOUL, Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor solutions, today introduced the industry's first quad-core application processor built on the High-k Metal Gate (HKMG) low-power process technology. With unprecedented performance capabilities exceeding 1.4GHz based on the ARM® CORTEXTM A9 quad-core, the powerful, yet energy-efficient Exynos 4 Quad, allows system-level architects to integrate maximized power efficiencies into smartphones and tablets which enables double the processing power at a 20 percent lower power bill over its predecessor, the 45nm process-based Exynos 4 Dual.

"The quad-core processor offers phenomenal multitasking abilities surpassing any single or dual application processor. Since all the cores must share a single battery, the power management and efficiency in the limited battery capacity are indispensable for mobile computing devices," said Taehoon Kim, vice president of System LSI marketing, Device Solutions, Samsung Electronics. "Given the diverse functionalities consumers are demanding from their mobile devices today, the Exynos 4 Quad meets those high-performance needs while keeping power consumption very low."

Multi-core processing delivers enhanced performance, enabling users to accomplish more tasks in a shorter period of time. For example, a task such as streaming video can run on one core while the other cores update applications in the background, connecting to the web and scanning virus-check simultaneously.

Benefitting from a use case where the parallel processing and workload sharing among the four cores is necessary, the Exynos 4 Quad is particularly well-suited for heavy-load applications such as 3D games, video editing, and calculation-intensive simulation.

Due to its 32nm HKMG low-power process and power-saving design, the Exynos 4 Quad has two times the processing capability over the 45nm process based Exynos 4 Dual while consuming 20-percent less power. To improve power efficiency, Samsung adopted hot-plug functionality to support on-off switching for each core as well as the per-core dynamic voltage and frequency scaling (DVFS), which offers a dramatic reduction in power consumption by adapting different levels of voltage and frequency when changing workloads.

Having identical form factor measurements (12mm X 12mm X 1.37 mm), the Exynos 4 Quad is pin-to-pin compatible with the 32nm process based Exynos 4 Dual, allowing mobile device designers to immediately adopt the new solution without additional cost, engineering or design efforts.

In addition, the new processor incorporates a full HD 30 frame per second video hardware codec engine for high resolution 1080p video recording and play-back, an embedded image signal processor interface for high-quality camera functionality and an HDMI 1.4 interface for sharp and crisp multimedia content transmission.

Samsung developed a power management IC (PMIC), the S5M8767, as a companion chip to power the Exynos 4 Quad processor. By integrating various circuitry such as nine highly efficient and programmable buck converters and 28 low-dropout regulators (LDOs) into the small package of 5.0 mm x 5.0mm x 0.4mm, the S5M8767 is designed to scale up or down the dynamic voltage depending on the clock speed in 6.25mV step for managing power delivery and maximizing battery life at the system level.

Already in production, the Exynos 4 Quad is scheduled to be adopted first into Samsung's next Galaxy smartphone that will officially be announced in May. Samsung's Exynos 4 Quad is also sampling to other major handset makers.

"The application processor is a crucial element in providing our customers with a PC-like experience on mobile devices. Samsung's next Galaxy device, which will be officially announced soon, offers uncompromised performance and ground breaking multi-tasking features, thanks to Exynos 4 Quad's powerful performance and efficient energy management technology," said Hankil Yoon, Senior Vice President of Product Strategy Team, Samsung's Mobile Communications Business.

Last year, Samsung introduced a new online hub dedicated to its Exynos processor. Designed to facilitate easy communication with industry partners and end users, the new micro-site takes you a step closer to the ultimate experience Exynos delivers; product information, user experience and information on promotion events. More information can be found at http://www.samsung.com/exynos.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/25/s...for-galaxy-s3/

Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Safety Car

Samsung building next Nexus device again?

Given that Google is expected to continue to cooperate with Samsung Electronics for the development of the next-generation Nexus smartphone, HTC reportedly has decided to move forward in its own way and is currently developing a customized smartphone in cooperation with Facebook slated to be launched in the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest, according to industry sources.

HTC had previously joined forces with Google to launch Google's first own-brand smartphone, the Nexus One. However, Google then shifted to cooperating with Samsung as its primary production partner for the launch of its second and third own-brand smartphones.

Since Samsung has become the top vendor of Android smartphones, Google will continue to have Samsung develop its next-generation Nexus models, leveraging Samsung's innovation ability with regard to the Android platform, and its ability to control the supply of key components, said sources.

The new Android smartphone being developed by HTC will have a platform exclusive to Facebook to enable and integrate all functions available on the social networking site, the sources indicated. Previously, HTC launched two Facebook-enabled smartphones, the Salsa and Chacha.

Facebook is expected to further expand its investments and sources of income after becoming a public company, and the launch of own-brand smartphones will be part of its development strategy, the sources commented.
Source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120425PD205.html

Should be interesting. If they do decide to make a reference Nexus based on the same specs as the Galaxy S III, the S III would be a good buy in the same way the original Galaxy S was.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Isn't the qualcomm s4 28nm, not seeing anything exciting in those samsung chips
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 AM

Im on the fence. I really cant wait for the SIII, but part of me is saying wait for the next Nexus.

But knowing me, when the next Nexus shows up, Ill just tell myself to hold off for the S4
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Even though I'll pay top dollar for the GSIII coming from a GII Skyrocket, I will make the jump if the display is HD and the case is not plastic.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM

^ Its rumored to be 720 and have a ceramic bezel, but I suspect the battery cover will be plastic.

We'll know for sure next Thursday.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Sanest Florida Man

For you Bjork fans

During April alone, we’ve already seen malicious versions of Angry Birds Space and Instagram in the wild. Both are Android apps that are really just malware designed to generate money from unsuspecting users by sending expensive international text messages. Now the same is happening with the popular Biophilla app.

Here’s the official description of the app:

Biophilia is an extraordinary and innovative multimedia exploration of music, nature and technology by the musician Björk. Comprising a suite of original music and interactive, educational artworks and musical artifacts, Biophilia is released as ten in-app experiences that are accessed as you fly through a three-dimensional galaxy that accompanies the album’s theme song Cosmogony. All of the album’s songs are available inside Biophilia as interactive experiences: Crystalline, Virus, Moon, Thunderbolt, Sacrifice, Mutual Core, Hollow, Solstice, and Dark Matter.

Björk recently invited hackers and pirates to port her app from iOS to other platforms, but somehow I don’t think Android malware is what she had in mind. Symantec identified the social engineering scam on third-party Android app download sites and described the malware as follows:

The app itself comes in two parts: the front-end, which has the ability to stream songs, and a background service with the name ‘Market’. Upon examination of the background service (designed to activate every time the phone starts) it appears to belong to the Android.Golddream family of threats. The authors of this family of threats are known to target third-party apps with malicious versions of popular apps, drawing revenue from premium SMS scams.

To reiterate, Biophilia is not available for Android. Some may have managed to port it illegally, but please beware that they may have included malware inside. If you want to get the official iOS version, get it from the official Apple App store. Here is the direct link: itunes.apple.com/app/bjork-biophilia/id434122935.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/w...e_skin;content
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

My free Zeemote came in from Android Police!

8erII.jpg WWJxE.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04...er-pricepoint/
Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

So I haven't gotten around to trying this mod/ROM out but it turns the Galaxy Nexus into the Tablet layout:

Despite him saying Netflix and YouTube not working, its not true. You can sideload both APKs and they work fine according to the people at XDA. It even uses the Tablet YouTube Layout which is better IMO.

More info and screenshots:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1619582

Looks pretty cool especially with the lower DPI setting making it even more high res. This mod works for all other Android devices running ICS but you would have to get the appropriate modded Market, Phone and other APKs so that they look and work properly.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 04-26-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Supposedly this is the new SGSIII

It looks like a very long phone. Its interesting that they went with capacitive buttons too. I was hoping they wouldnt, so the overall length would be less and the menu buttons would but on screen, a la GN.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM

After about 4 months, Franco finally updated his Nexus S ICS kernel

But no BLN
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I shoot people

so, I finally found the perfect protection for my Galaxy Nexus... it isn't a "case" per se... but a bumper. The back side is exposed but the way I look at it, the backside doesn't get scratch as much (depends on how you handle/use your cell I guess). Plus the battery door/panel can be replaced for $10.

But what's cool is, the corners, sides/edges are all protected, yet keeping the stylish curve with minimal bulk.

the best part is... $4 shipped (from Hong Kong), the worst part is/was... it took 3 weeks to be delivered (no express shipping was offered)

Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
4 bucks from hong kong?

you got ripped off, im sure if you got it from Shenzhen it would be like 25 cents...

seriously, i have a cousin that works in the business. a case in Hong kong is like equiv to 5USD, where in Shenzhen its like 1USD or something like that.

aaaaaaaaaaaanyways, looks pretty sweet.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Mizouse
4 bucks from hong kong?

you got ripped off, im sure if you got it from Shenzhen it would be like 25 cents...

seriously, i have a cousin that works in the business. a case in Hong kong is like equiv to 5USD, where in Shenzhen its like 1USD or something like that.

aaaaaaaaaaaanyways, looks pretty sweet.
honestly? I would've paid $8 for a faster shipping
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 PM

well maybe not exactly a quarter, but cheaper than hong kong.

he showed me a stupid bear iPhone 4 case that sells in HK for about 60HKD, in Shenzhen its about 20HKD.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 PM

i dont really care thou, since its like a difference of like a couple USD. nothing significant.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 PM

BTW, the Galaxy Note is a very popular phone in HK, although no where near as popular as the iPhone, i swear everyone and their mom had an iPhone. Worse than the US.

I played with a customers Note that he brought to the states from HK, its pretty sweet. But i cant imagine how goofy you would look holding that thing up to your ear as a phone
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I shoot people

BTW, the Galaxy Note is a very popular phone in HK, although no where near as popular as the iPhone, i swear everyone and their mom had an iPhone. Worse than the US.

I played with a customers Note that he brought to the states from HK, its pretty sweet. But i cant imagine how goofy you would look holding that thing up to your ear as a phone
true about the size of the Note (holding it to your ear), but when I think about it, I actually don't use my phone to talk much (vs browsing and texting). If anything, the only 2 issues I would have are... 1) where to put it, the Note won't fit in any pant pockets. 2) I Swype one handed with my thumb... It's hard enough to do it with the Galaxy Nexus, there's no way I'd be able to do it with the Note, so it'd have to be a two handed operation. The GNex's 4.65" is plenty big.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 PM

true that on the size and storage.

i actually hate the size of the iPhone (its too big)

but obviously having a smartphone with a 3-4+inch screen, theres nothing i can do about that.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I shoot people

i actually hate the size of the iPhone (its too big)
WAT?? I look at my gf's i4S and it's just feels tiny to me. I have to admit tho, the retina display is still the most impressive screen (yes, better than my GNex )

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread