Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
^ The kernel makes all the difference. Im running Matrix v14.5 (havent gotten around to flashing v16), I dont even have it oc'd and it runs just as fast as my oc'd GB builds.

My friend, who loves to shit on the NS whenever he can, visited last weekend. Even he was shocked with how smooth it ran.
Yup. Was about to dump ICS and go back to CM7 after that laggage. Good to know a new kernel was all that was needed. Hopefully, the devs optimize their kernels a bit more in the future. On a related note, I thought this was an interesting read:

In Depth Nexus S Battery Study Brings About Surprising Conclusions

It is a rare feat when someone goes out of their way to truly study their device. It is rarer still when that study warrants relevant information that’s beneficial to other users.

XDA Senior Member bedalus has performed what amounts to a case study to test battery usage with a variety of kernels and battery features such as under-volting and various levels of idling for the Samsung Nexus S. The study is rather extensive and tests the phone under a variety of conditions such as screen on/off, while music is playing, with different governors and even CPU Clock frequency. Of course, bedalus wanted to make a special note. Do NOT try this at home, it could be very damaging to your Nexus S.

The results were rather startling. As it turns out, many of those techniques and features that many people use don’t actually work. Says bedalus:

The main shock was that Deep Idle did not work as intended. There are three forms of Deep Idle: the CPU Idle backport from kernel 3.2, Eugene’s Deep Idle, and Ezekeel’s. All three were tested, and no battery saving was measured. I also tested Deep Idle in Carbon (Jonathon Grigg’s ICS themed Oxygen 2.3.1, android version 2.3.7, gingerbread) using Ezekeel’s last kernel for gingerbread, and that showed no battery saving either. With the option for ‘Screen Off Maximum Frequency’ set to ON, the battery drain was higher (both in ICS and GB).

What that basically says is, with all respect to the developers who worked hard on these features, that none of these features actually help the battery. For all intensive purposes, a user might as well not have them. This has a number implications, but none more important than giving said developers statistics with which to base their next release. Why continue working on something that has been proven not work? Or, perhaps the better question, is that is there a way to make these features work better against the stock settings?

Please note that just because one feature on a kernel/ROM/mod doesn’t work doesn’t make that piece of work bad, it just means there’s a feature that doesn’t work. At least they don’t cause higher battery drain. In the poll posted in the thread, voters have shown that they do save power with the Deep Idle. However, there are variables that cannot be measured, such as what each user has otherwise installed and how they use their phone, so it’s worth taking note but does not disprove the research.

Continuing on his observations, bedalus also noted:

If you use NStools to undervolt, don’t bother. No gain to be had from undervolting either ARM or INT voltages. I tested this to the extreme. Check the spreadsheet, near the bottom. (Tested in both ICS and GB).

So that puts that to rest. Much like Deep Idle, there are users who claim undervolting saves them battery. However, the numbers are pretty clear that it doesn’t, so it can be assumed that, once again, there are other variables at work such as apps running and how the user actually uses their device.

This leads us to observation number three, as bedalus says:

The other main result was that mathkid95′s matr1x kernel offered the greatest battery saving. However, it should be noted that I have suffered reboots while performing other benchmarks on this kernel, and the solution was to raise voltages. (It’s not as if doing that is going to drain your battery faster.)

If you were looking for a kernel that saves battery, then this one is it. XDA Recognized Developer mathkid95‘s kernel has shown, by way of statistics, that is does, in fact, have the highest battery saving. Of course, battery saving isn’t the only reason users choose a kernel. Some may want performance, others stability, but for those who need that extra battery capacity then mathkid95′s is the one that survived all the testing.

And the final observation made by bedalus:

If you have an AMOLED display, black saves the most power, then red.

This is something that many users could have already guessed, as black has been the go to color for battery saving for a long time. However, it’s nice to finally have some numbers to put to the belief. And to those running black and red themes, bet you never thought that theme was saving your battery did you?

All of these observations are backed up with a very impressive and easy to read spreadsheet. It’s a Google Documents spreadsheet, so be sure you’re logged in to Google before attempting to view it, as it will probably alleviate any problems, but if you have five minutes then it’s highly recommended you check out the original spreadsheet. There is a boat load of useful information in there and shows all the results that bedalus has come up with and all the mentioned, and unmentioned, parameters he tested. This also includes Quadrant Standard and AnTuTu benchmark tests.

Along with the spreadsheet and detailed explanation, bedalus was also kind enough to post two videos showing users exactly how he tested these processes and how he read the results. This not only proves he actually did the research, as opposed to blowing smoke, but also gives the experts and average users alike a chance to see how it was done. In an internet community, if you don’t post a screen shot, it didn’t happen. For bedalus, he posted videos, that’s a step up.

For anyone who wants to read the full coverage of the Nexus S battery consumption research, they can do so in the original thread. The first couple of posts explain the parameters of the testing and the conclusions. Post three covers how he tested the battery, including hardware specifications and how/why he did what he did. Post four includes further explanation for test methods and plans for future testing.

The best part about bedalus’ work is that there is a plan to continue testing using better equipment and more parameters. So it is definitely worth it to keep tabs on the thread as there will eventually be more, not to mention more accurate, information to be had.

And, as bedalus will have you note:

REMEMBER I ADVISE THAT NO ONE SHOULD ATTEMPT THIS.
Source: http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...g-conclusions/

Their findings on the undervolting is similar to what I experienced. There really wasn't that much of a considerable difference when doing it. Apparently, (this is information I gathered from multiple threads at the XDA forums) Android's voltage usage fluctuates as needed so undervolting doesn't really affect your battery life all that much because Android already changes the amount of voltage on its own.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Yep, I never saw any improvements in battery life when I undervolted. Sometimes overvolting was needed for stability though. I also stopped using Deep Idle as I noticed (via CPUSpy), that Android has a deep sleep mode. Deep idle didnt give me any battery savings either, and in some cases (especially on ICS), it led to instability.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Safety Car

Here's a good demo of what desktop computing is like with the Galaxy Nexus. I wonder when Samsung will release their HDMI dock. At this rate, it'll be out by 2013. lol.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 PM

No Press Conference at MWC for Samsung:

Samsung confirmed this morning in an email to PCMag that the smartphone maker will not be hosting a press conference at Mobile World Congress, the wireless industry trade show at the end of February.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399974,00.asp

It goes on to say that it doesn't mean they won't be revealing anything, but it wont be a on a big stage. I know there are rumors that the SIII will have its own event in the first half of the year.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Forgot my extra battery today so running my GN in 3G only to hopefully make my battery last from 6am-9pm. I am not holding my breath though.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
You guys see that N9 running ICS? garhhhhhhhhhhhhh so beautiful! Damn Nokia for choosing wrong!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
so I picked up a unlocked used HTC Sensation...it's a T-Mobile phone, using it with Mobilicity here in Vancouver... I'm loving the phone, but it crashes a lot...HTC has announced that ICS is coming to all the Sensation phones... but my question is... when it happens, is it OTA? Or something I'll have to do manually? I'm really hoping ICS fixes the crash issue
Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
so I picked up a unlocked used HTC Sensation...it's a T-Mobile phone, using it with Mobilicity here in Vancouver... I'm loving the phone, but it crashes a lot...HTC has announced that ICS is coming to all the Sensation phones... but my question is... when it happens, is it OTA? Or something I'll have to do manually? I'm really hoping ICS fixes the crash issue
Go into bootloader and fix permissions. This should fix most if not all of the force closes. As far as ICS over the air, it will only happen if that network sends it. Since your network doesn't have the HTC Sensation then don't expect to see it. Just get it from XDA Forums. The devs will offer a faster ICS Rom for your phone I can promise you. That's where ill be getting my Sense 4.0 ICS Rom for the EVO 4G when its available. I hope this helped you.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM

My brother had a Sensation and absolutely hated it.

Itll be an OTA update, but since youre not on TMO, you probably wont get it. So youll have to manually flash it.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
So on XDA for the NS there are a whole bunch of radios for specific phones and regions and what not.

And there is also what I saw an HSPDA Tweak thats suppose to make your download speeds faster.

Now how would this be at all possible? Wouldnt the companies already try to give you the fastest speeds possible? I don't get what they can do to make it faster. Just wondering if its like a placebo effect type of thing or is it actually true.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM

I think its just a location thing. Try out each radio (that is for your phone) and see which is best. I think the radios for GB and ICS are not compatible with each other though. I used to run KB3 on GB, now Im running KI1.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
So on XDA for the NS there are a whole bunch of radios for specific phones and regions and what not.

And there is also what I saw an HSPDA Tweak thats suppose to make your download speeds faster.

Now how would this be at all possible? Wouldnt the companies already try to give you the fastest speeds possible? I don't get what they can do to make it faster. Just wondering if its like a placebo effect type of thing or is it actually true.
The tweaks usually involve changing some properties in the build.prop found in your "/system" folder. Most of the settings in there are built for a generic set of phones so it is possible to boost up the speed by making some tweaks. However, this is all dependent on your location, the congestion of the network and a few other things. So the changes could be placebo or they can actually improve your speeds all around. The 3G Tweak script I posted a few pages back seemed to help somewhat on my Galaxy S but I haven't used it since so I can't say for sure if it helped or AT&T just got better towers around my area. So basically it comes down to trial and error.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Did you guys see the Portal clone they're trying to make for Android?

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02...oks-promising/

As you can see, it does pretty much work (the choppy FPS is caused by our recording app). The best part, though, is the quality of the graphics in this unofficial port clone (it was developed using Unity, and since Portal is not open source, "clone" is a more correct term). Everything looks pretty great (except the portals, they haven't quite figured that part out yet), and the controls work decently, too. Will this game ever get off the ground? It's hard to say - this is a Russian piece of software, so it's unlikely VALVe will be able to do anything to stop it, if development continues.
It looks like the same guys who are porting over Counter Strike are working on Portal. Wonder how far they'd get before being hit by a cease and desist from Valve.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Here's a free CPS2 Emulator for people wanting to play Marvel vs. Capcom, Puzzle Fighter, etc. on the go:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1483303

Donate version: https://market.android.com/details?i...dedibox.cpsemu

No root needed. Just sideload it to install. Might want to grab it before it gets taken down. If you have an Xperia Play, the hardware buttons supposedly work with it. You could probably also use a Six Axis (needs root) or WiiMote controller paired via bluetooth.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 AM
I shoot people

just curious... what is 100mb? I mean... is that a lot? I just found out with Mobilicity, they DO somewhat have a limit to the "unlimited" data plan... and what happens is, if you go over 100mb in 15 minutes... you get throttled for 3 hours. I can't really relate to "100mb". I mean... if I'm just browsing the web, I may stream some YouTube videos here and there... will that go over?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
just curious... what is 100mb? I mean... is that a lot? I just found out with Mobilicity, they DO somewhat have a limit to the "unlimited" data plan... and what happens is, if you go over 100mb in 15 minutes... you get throttled for 3 hours. I can't really relate to "100mb". I mean... if I'm just browsing the web, I may stream some YouTube videos here and there... will that go over?
Probably, 100mb is not a lot.

You would probably go over if you streamed about 10 songs. That's not an exact calculation, just an estimate.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

100mb I run through that in less than a day.

A rom is ~100mb.
is300eater (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
100mb I run through that in less than a day.

A rom is ~100mb.
But this is 100mb within 15 min. So I'm assuming it's plenty (?)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Probably, 100mb is not a lot.

You would probably go over if you streamed about 10 songs. That's not an exact calculation, just an estimate.
Okay thanks, yeah, I don't ever stream 10 songs within 15 min.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Safety Car

So apparently there was an update to YouTube yesterday but none of my phones and tablet got the notification. Had to manually search for YouTube in the market and manually update it. It seems to have brought the Live TV function over from Ice Cream Sandwich to Honeycomb but its not working on my Transformer? It might be due to my pop up blocker but I haven't really spent too much time on it yet. Gonna have to run a logcat to see what's going on.

https://market.android.com/details?i...C55b3V0dWJlIl0.
civicdrivr (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Any battery saving tips for my friends Inspire? I didn't wanna kill too many background apps and his wifi and BT are already off. Thx
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Any battery saving tips for my friends Inspire? I didn't wanna kill too many background apps and his wifi and BT are already off. Thx
Killing apps doesn't usually do much, unless it is a rouge app that is causing issues.

Wifi off should only be the case if he is not in a wifi area. Wifi gives you better battery life than mobile data.

Lower his screen brightness or set it to auto. Screen use is a big killer of battery.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

turn off fb notifications/lattitude

change how frequent his weather/news apps update and so forth
Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the headsup on the YT update. Just updated.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Recent Android (Gingerbread and up) don't seem to benefit as much as they used too with Background data, WiFi and BT off. It seems Android implemented power savings if you leave them on and aren't actively connected. Do NOT kill off background apps unless they're hanging and causing your phone to drain. Pretty rare nowadays. The best power saving is really to turn 4G off when you're not in a 4G area. Otherwise, if you're looking for what's keeping the phone awake then use this app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179809

There's a free download of the app on the second post that can be installed manually. It logs everything that keeps the phone awake, and is great for troubleshooting.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 PM

I havent used a task manager since Donut. Android does a very good job of managing apps as it is
Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Oh they figured out how to get rid of the software buttons on the Galaxy Nexus to get the full screen:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1497558

You gotta decompile framework-res.apk to do it though and use a button replacement app. At least it looks like it'll be feasible as a toggle switch with custom ROMS in the near future like how they currently do it for Honeycomb.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Suzuka Master

that thing where he puts his thumb on the left screen is from ICS browser+, the concept at least
Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Suzuka Master

that thing where he puts his thumb on the left screen is from ICS browser+, the concept at least
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Thx for the info guys
Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Google applied for a patent back in '09 for a drop down notification bar. If it gets approved, Apples may be on the receiving end of a rather large lawsuit for such a "new and groundbreaking feature"

http://www.google.com/patents/US2009...page&q&f=false
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Safety Car

For people with NFC on their phones and want to rewrite tags (that are supposedly protected) from hotel keycards, price tags, or those free NFC tags they give away at conventions, check out NFC ReTAG:

https://market.android.com/details?i...NFC_ReTAG_FREE

Its free and is similar to NFC Task Launcher as it allows you to automate tasks when scanned by the phone, etc. The XDA thread can be found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1477138
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 AM
Suzuka Master

the patent wars really need to stop, I'm getting tired of seeing it in the tech new part of my google news lol

on another note, do any of you guys use chainfire 3d??

Its supposedly suppose use the GPU for apps so they run smoother and faster, check it out in the market
https://market.android.com/details?i...mlyZS5jZjNkIl0.
you obviously have to be rooted, and dont mess with the options from what i've been reading.

Last edited by speedemon90; 02-18-2012 at 02:16 AM.
civicdrivr (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM

I agree. Every week Samsung/HTC/Google is being sued over some bs. There are only so many ways to design a rectangle
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
soooo when is Galaxy Note being released for Verizon?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
the patent wars really need to stop, I'm getting tired of seeing it in the tech new part of my google news lol

on another note, do any of you guys use chainfire 3d??

Its supposedly suppose use the GPU for apps so they run smoother and faster, check it out in the market
https://market.android.com/details?i...mlyZS5jZjNkIl0.
you obviously have to be rooted, and dont mess with the options from what i've been reading.
Its not that it uses the GPU for apps because it already does that normally. What it does is that it emulates other 3D platforms using plugins so you can run games that are tied to a specific GPU. So let's say you have a Galaxy S which normally has a PowerVR GPU. Some games in the market are locked down to only run on Tegra 2 GPUs. What Chainfire 3D does is it allows your phone to use the Tegra 2 GPU plugin and fake the app into thinking you have a Tegra 2 GPU on your Galaxy S. It also works with Qualcomm GPU games but isn't perfect for all games.

I've used it to play a few games back when they were tied down to one GPU platform but if you know where to look, you can find the apks compiled for all GPUs. (Shadowgun is an example of this before it became multiplatform after its exclusivity ended) Right now, the only game I can't get to work is Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 4 properly. Resident Evil 4 is tied down specifically to framework files in the LG Plus but I'm sure that'll be circumvented soon enough. Street Fighter IV works but the background is missing most likely due to the shaders missing (there are downloadable shaders out there but none for SF IV yet last I checked). Both are suppsedly exclusive to LG at the moment and should be available to all platforms soon.

EDIT: Looks like Resident Evil 4 has been "fixed" already. Checking it out now. lol. I'm guessing it won't be 100% correct though since I don't have a Qualcomm GPU phone.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-18-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

So Resident Evil 4 works perfectly but its in all Korean. Anyone wanna translate? lol. Maybe there's an option to change the language somewhere...

Old 02-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

ok my phone is being retarded, the power button is not working so i used the fix power button app so my volume key would work.

I worked like five times now my volume key thing doesnt work.

edit: pulled my battery nothing was turning on, scared me for a sec. Plugged my phone in the charger worked first try.

edit again: I went into CWM but the power button wouldnt work :/ maybe it isnt software related

Last edited by speedemon90; 02-18-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Well I'll put this as a reference in case it happens to someone else where the power button goes out.

So in ICS theres a function that if you disable the lockscreen the volume keys will open up so I did that for now.

And then for the power button, I redirected it to the search key using this app
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=850464
obviously you have to be rooted. But now my power button function is now my search key (never used it much so I wont miss it)

Now for some reason in that app I want to change the function of my volume button to wake up the phone so I can still have a lockscreen but the app only shows my phone having 4 operations: home, menu, search, and back so I can only play with those. There should be a power and volume display as well but I dunno.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

So there's been a lot of comparisons between Google Voice Actions, Siri, and all other iterations out there. Then there's this one being created by an XDA member called Utter! which is pretty awesome:

If you watched the whole video, its like a spin off of Google Voice Actions but interacts with everything on the phone on an even integrated level from the installed apps to phone settings. When he changed the Governor with Utter I thought that was pretty awesome as I don't recall any other app capable of doing that with Voice recognition. Really looking forward to what this app can do in the coming future.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1508195

Oh also note that the processing time was slowed down on purpose for the YouTube vid. The app supposedly analayzes the questions and commands at a much faster pace than shown.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 02-20-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread