Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Worked the second time. No idea why it didn't help yesterday. Thanks.
I am just glad it worked today, but don't you just hate that feeling!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Isn't FroYo delicious?
omg. so delicious. haha.

i keep playing with the flashlight.
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
man, ya save me some...please!
LOL!

man, my calender is packed with all the birthdays from facebook. never did this with 2.1
Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Just saw on Twitter that Angry Birds beta coming Friday. Thought you guys already had it.
Yeah, Angry Birds is pretty fun. I'm personally waiting for Plants vs. Zombies. Its supposed to come soon. Popcap Games has an Android page up on their site. We just need the games. I guess you can always use Flash and play it on their website. lol.

Originally Posted by dsickles
This one is better:

Got that today while on campus
Wow thats insane. You can torrent while listening to lectures. lol. Too bad the upload speed seems to be maxed around 1 Mbps. Then again, thats still not bad. lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I just got a LG Ally, wanted a phone that wasn't a Blackberry, and so far I'm really liking it. It definitely is taking some getting used to but it should work out well, and the internet is much, much faster than my previous 8330!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Amon_Ra 1.8.0.1 recovery is out for nexus one

http://alternate-coding.com/recovery...1.8.0.1-aw.img
Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bud760
Amon_Ra 1.8.0.1 recovery is out for nexus one

http://alternate-coding.com/recovery...1.8.0.1-aw.img
Kinda sketchy how it wasn't formally released to XDA. They had to hunt it down.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dsickles
This one is better:

Got that today while on campus
sweetness...... is there anyway to increase the upload speed?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

Here's some more hands on video with the Samsung Galaxy Tab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLopM...ayer_embedded#

Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy...nd-games-video

There's supposed to be more info coming out today since Samsung is holding a conference about it. Maybe we'll finally get a price.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Wireless printing on the Samsung Galaxy Tab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG8-Q...layer_embedded

Source: http://thedroidguy.com/20100902/wire...ng-galaxy-tab/
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It needs a less reflective screen and some sort of e-ink or other alternative for it to be easy on the eyes when using it to read books, magazines, ect. Very nice though.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
thinking about getting a droid am i better off getting droid 2?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jiggaman
Yes. Much faster processor for games and apps and more memory. Overall not much is different though it's just a slightly better phone. I'd say if you can swing it get the droid X since it has HDMI out and personally I think it looks better than Motorola's phones.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I love my epic, so far it seems typo be free of the reported bugs. No dead pixels, the capacative buttons work great with no lag, the battery is lasting pretty well for a new phone. Even the gps works. At first it took a long time to lock but after updating google maps it locks on fast and accurately, even indoors. This is without using networks to help, just gps.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jiggaman
Are you the type who likes to run custom ROMs or just wants a phone that works? If you say you want a phone that just works then get the Droid 2. Who knows how much longer the original Droid will get official updates. Froyo may be the last official it'll get.

Droid 2 should get at least Gingerbread and possibly Honeycomb. Now if you're a tinkerer, then get the original Droid, overclock it and save some money. There's a lot of dev support for the original Droid and it doesn't have the locked bootloader found in new Moto phones like the Droid X and Droid 2.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zguy95135
I love my epic, so far it seems typo be free of the reported bugs. No dead pixels, the capacative buttons work great with no lag, the battery is lasting pretty well for a new phone. Even the gps works. At first it took a long time to lock but after updating google maps it locks on fast and accurately, even indoors. This is without using networks to help, just gps.
That's awesome to hear. I'm actually waiting on my Bell Galaxy S still. Its still in Canada somewhere. Might miss it before I fly out to Miami next week though. I'll probably have my brother just ship it out to me.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Safety Car

For the Android users out there can you guys run this app so we can map out the cellular networks out there?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.cellumap

Source: http://cellumap.com/

I have no affiliation with the website but would be interested specifically in which 3G frequencies the networks use out there. Would be quite helpful when buying a phone not sold in the US since the networks don't tell us that sort of info. He also has an app out for the Blackberry as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
My girlfriend's been bugging me about the Evo. lol. She fell in love with the screen size. Unfortunately, she's tied down to AT&T for the time being cause she got a 3GS just last year. I wish AT&T would get on the ball and get some nice Android phones with keyboards.
We were going to go to ATT bc my boyfriend doesn't get a signal out in Montague County and he gets a discount from the Sheriff's office...I am SO GLAD we didn't....ATT won't have anything comparable to EVO for a long time...I think that I read somewhere that for the first time since the Iphone was introduced, Sprint has surpassed ATT in sales of smartphones with the EVO
Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Pro

For the people interested in converting the HD2 into Android:

http://www.absolutelyandroid.com/and...-fizzled-away/

Sales of HD2 phones have actually gone up recently since a lot of devs have started converting HD2's to Android. lol. Supposedly next month, the source code for the NAND will be released and they'll be able to completely remove WM6 and inject Android on the NAND instead of the hack they're using.
Seriously?? I want to get rid of my WM6 so bad....
Old 09-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Kinda sketchy how it wasn't formally released to XDA. They had to hunt it down.
Amon_Ra made it as the Androidworld Edition. It has their logo and everything. He did say he won't be making a new version in xda which is odd. I tested it out on my N1, backup, wipe and restore and it's working fine.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM

That's awesome to hear. I'm actually waiting on my Bell Galaxy S still. Its still in Canada somewhere. Might miss it before I fly out to Miami next week though. I'll probably have my brother just ship it out to me.
great... time to start the clinical action!

I know you hate, that abt ur new rig, but at least you're still on the continent this time!

...One of the guys over at my merc club site, missed his new steering wheel by a day and was the whole Atlantic away for a month or two...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM

Here's some more hands on video with the Samsung Galaxy Tab:

There's supposed to be more info coming out today since Samsung is holding a conference about it. Maybe we'll finally get a price.
thats sick! ...but, they will have to de-gloss that screen some for sure...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM

For the people interested in converting the HD2 into Android:

http://www.absolutelyandroid.com/and...-fizzled-away/

Sales of HD2 phones have actually gone up recently since a lot of devs have started converting HD2's to Android. lol. Supposedly next month, the source code for the NAND will be released and they'll be able to completely remove WM6 and inject Android on the NAND instead of the hack they're using.
Hey Mike, can I Andorid my old winmo Touch Pro? I looked around for some info on XDA, but kinda came up short... LOL
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bud760
Amon_Ra made it as the Androidworld Edition. It has their logo and everything. He did say he won't be making a new version in xda which is odd. I tested it out on my N1, backup, wipe and restore and it's working fine.
Yea, I flashed it as soon as I saw it available. Amon recently said he will be releasing a XDA version soon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=79
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

great... time to start the clinical action!

I know you hate, that abt ur new rig, but at least you're still on the continent this time!

...One of the guys over at my merc club site, missed his new steering wheel by a day and was the whole Atlantic away for a month or two...
I tried to time it right and everything too. lol. Oh well, at least I won't have to wait months. More like a couple of extra 3-4 days.

Hey Mike, can I Andorid my old winmo Touch Pro? I looked around for some info on XDA, but kinda came up short... LOL

Looks like its possible. Everything you need to know in XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=609

They even have a CM6 build. The basics of it from what I remember when I had an HTC Wizard was you need to download the HaRET file along with the Android image onto your SD Card. Then you run the HaRET file which will boot Android. You may want to double check on that though. Its been a while since I've run Android on a WM 6 device.

Actually looking at the thread, it is just that:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735975

Quick-Installation-Guide:
Quick-Installation-Guide:
Keep in mind! All you do by now you do it on your own risk!!!

* Create an EXT2-Partition with a minimum size of 300MB (see video-tutorial in this article)
* Download Neopeek Android Installer
* Extract npkinstall.zip to the root of your internal memory / sdcard
* Download Haret-Paket
* Extract contents of Haret-Paket to the root of your internal memory / sdcard
* Now Download latest CyanogenMod6-Port or any other Android (please have a look into our community. There are lot of builds available). Now rename this download to androidinstall.tar.gz and put it into the npkinstall-folder. There are several Text-Files in this folder like diamond.txt, raphael.txt etc. Just rename the one that matches your device to startup.txt.
* Now run install.exe within the npkinstall-folder. Your device will reboot when it has finished installation.
* Move to the root of your memory where you have extracted Haret-Paket
* Locate Startups-Folder and copy the startup.txt which matches your device to the root of your memory
* Now run Haret.exe from the root of your memory and Android should boot up! That's it.

The HaRET file is sort of a kernel booter. So you have to open your phone with WM 6 first then run the HaRET file to boot Android. Until they have access to the NAND, this is the only way. So every time you restart the phone, you'll end up in WM 6. Other than that though, performance should be quite similar to it being a native OS.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Angry Birds beta is out. It doesn't seem to be showing in some custom Froyo ROMs like CM6 but if you know where to look you can download it. It works awesome on my phone!

http://phandroid.com/2010/09/03/angr...in-the-market/

[Update]: It appears some of you on Froyo-based ROMs might not be able to see the app in the market. As I’ve been able to confirm from three different sources (including my friend Andrew at Androinica), it’s not showing up for anyone running CyanogenMod6 (EVO, Sprint Hero, and the Nexus One). It is, however, showing up for 2.1 devices and for Nexus Ones running the official Android 2.2 build. Hopefully it’s just a small roadbump that’ll be resolved shortly.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
I just have to say...recently bought a Desire. And wow, I LOVE IT.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 AM

I tried to time it right and everything too. lol. Oh well, at least I won't have to wait months. More like a couple of extra 3-4 days.

Looks like its possible. Everything you need to know in XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=609

They even have a CM6 build. The basics of it from what I remember when I had an HTC Wizard was you need to download the HaRET file along with the Android image onto your SD Card. Then you run the HaRET file which will boot Android. You may want to double check on that though. Its been a while since I've run Android on a WM 6 device.

Actually looking at the thread, it is just that:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735975

The HaRET file is sort of a kernel booter. So you have to open your phone with WM 6 first then run the HaRET file to boot Android. Until they have access to the NAND, this is the only way. So every time you restart the phone, you'll end up in WM 6. Other than that though, performance should be quite similar to it being a native OS.
I was so tired when I dragged this old phone out of the drawer, that I musta just dead ended on XDA when it carried me to a linux related site... thanks alot... if I have time, I will work on this this weekend... just monkeying with my 4th line phone... LOL

They are suppose to release a way into the NAND for this group of phones... I think... gosh, I have read so much stuff on Android and crossing over phones... I am just
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Root it and install some custom ROMs. You'll love it even more. lol.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

I was so tired when I dragged this old phone out of the drawer, that I musta just dead ended on XDA when it carried me to a linux related site... thanks alot... if I have time, I will work on this this weekend... just monkeying with my 4th line phone... LOL

They are suppose to release a way into the NAND for this group of phones... I think... gosh, I have read so much stuff on Android and crossing over phones... I am just
The nice thing about the HaRET method is it won't mess with your WM 6 OS. So it can't damage it. And its very easy to switch ROMs since all you would have to do is download the different builds and plug them into the SD card without having to flash.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha
that's a great rig bro... now enjoy it! what phone did you have before?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM

The nice thing about the HaRET method is it won't mess with your WM 6 OS. So it can't damage it. And its very easy to switch ROMs since all you would have to do is download the different builds and plug them into the SD card without having to flash.
sounds good and thanks again Mike!... last thing I want to do is somehow screw up that already jacked up winmo!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
my friend got Froyo last night on his incredible

he says his browser crashes more often now when loading facebook

lol..
Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the galaxy tablet looks slick. But i would much prefer a 10" screen than the 7". My evo is just right for a phone. But to upgrade to a 7" screen is not much of an upgrade as oppose to a 10" tablet.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jjashaa
my friend got Froyo last night on his incredible

he says his browser crashes more often now when loading facebook

lol..
He probably needs to do a full phone restore and then reupgrade to Froyo. It'll clean up his cache.

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
the galaxy tablet looks slick. But i would much prefer a 10" screen than the 7". My evo is just right for a phone. But to upgrade to a 7" screen is not much of an upgrade as oppose to a 10" tablet.
The 10" is coming supposedly at the end of the year. I would like to see the price on the 7" first before committing.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 09-03-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 10" is coming supposedly at the end of the year. I would like to see the price on the 7" first before committing.
^^^ True i hope its not in the same price range as the ipads. I think these would sell better for around $299 for a 32gb.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 AM
5th Gear

Just saying hello.. I have a Droid running Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.6, slayher 1GHz kernel. Great ROM! Cheers
Old 09-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TypeSSS
Just saying hello.. I have a Droid running Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.6, slayher 1GHz kernel. Great ROM! Cheers
Welcome to the thread.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

For the Captivate owners, a gift from Eugene373:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773082

Its a Vanilla Eclair ROM. No Touchwiz, 3-4x faster than the stock Captivate ROM due to Lagfix. Some people are also saying they're getting some battery gains, around 2-3 hours extra. There's also a 1.2 GHz OC Kernel out there as well...

CM6 is on the way as well, they made some great progress over the week. Should be out any time now. And my Galaxy S finally made it somewhere in the US. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll get to me before I head out to Miami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD_MnxfsZwU

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 09-04-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Angry Birds beta is out. It doesn't seem to be showing in some custom Froyo ROMs like CM6 but if you know where to look you can download it. It works awesome on my phone!

http://phandroid.com/2010/09/03/angr...in-the-market/
Can you let me know where to get it. Couldn't download it from appbrain or the market. Still running 2.1 here.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Can you let me know where to get it. Couldn't download it from appbrain or the market. Still running 2.1 here.
I'll PM it to you when I get home. You may be able to find it on Google. "Angry Birds apk" then sideload it.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread