Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
So a small update about my bricked Samsung:

The guy who sold the phone to me e-mailed me a copy of the receipt for the phone from FutureShop. The thing is, the phone was purchased on 8/25 and I think FutureShop has a 14 day exchange policy for cell phones. Now I'm not sure who is supposed to be responsible in servicing the phone at this point. I'm reading that Bell may be responsible but the problem is I don't have a Bell account. What I'm hearing is that Samsung extended the exchange warranty for the phone to 60 days but I'm not sure if it still has to go through Bell or FutureShop first. I reached out to some people at XDA but if anyone has any experience about FutureShop and cell phone warranties please chime in since the phone is beyond 30 days now.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My Epic's battery life is pretty good , the screen was on for a little over 4 hours too. I did a bunch of browsing, watched a 40 minute Youtube vid (NutnFancy), played about half an hours worth of games, made a few calls and sent about 100 texts. I have the screen brightness turned all the way down, but its still too bright (IMO) and 3G and wifi were on about 50/50.

I just got the new update today to fix the upload speeds too.

edit: the time without signal is at 0% too. Either it's using a bit more battery when idle or the meter has been calibrated better (they changed the 3G antenna on the last update), but either way I don't mind because I'm getting overall better battery life.

Last edited by zguy95135; 10-02-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Un
Originally Posted by Blazin Si
I really want the EVO. My sister-in-law has one and after playing with it for a few minutes, I love it. Much better than the Moment I have now. If I upgrade to the EVO, I lose the $24/mo plan I have now. I believe I'd have to switch to a $35/mo plan, but the unlimited data, text and 500 minutes would stay the same.
....for 9 bucks a month... I would do it... lol... I guess I already did... go figure... I took my own advice
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zguy95135
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8...1001220837.png

My Epic's battery life is pretty good , the screen was on for a little over 4 hours too. I did a bunch of browsing, watched a 40 minute Youtube vid (NutnFancy), played about half an hours worth of games, made a few calls and sent about 100 texts. I have the screen brightness turned all the way down, but its still too bright (IMO) and 3G and wifi were on about 50/50.

I just got the new update today to fix the upload speeds too.

edit: the time without signal is at 0% too. Either it's using a bit more battery when idle or the meter has been calibrated better (they changed the 3G antenna on the last update), but either way I don't mind because I'm getting overall better battery life.
Thats pretty good especially with that much usage. And I agree, the phone is still pretty bright at the lowest setting.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Alright my EVO is officially ROOTED! Now, what's a good ROM to flash to?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
So a small update about my bricked Samsung:

The guy who sold the phone to me e-mailed me a copy of the receipt for the phone from FutureShop. The thing is, the phone was purchased on 8/25 and I think FutureShop has a 14 day exchange policy for cell phones. Now I'm not sure who is supposed to be responsible in servicing the phone at this point. I'm reading that Bell may be responsible but the problem is I don't have a Bell account. What I'm hearing is that Samsung extended the exchange warranty for the phone to 60 days but I'm not sure if it still has to go through Bell or FutureShop first. I reached out to some people at XDA but if anyone has any experience about FutureShop and cell phone warranties please chime in since the phone is beyond 30 days now.
Mike, at least u were able to find the ebay seller... now what to do from there??? what a strange set of circumstances..... praying u can get to the bottom of this foolishness...
Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by bl^5
Alright my EVO is officially ROOTED! Now, what's a good ROM to flash to?
go over to xda... there are more rom's over there than you can shake a stick at... cynaogen is the standard that most are judged against... Mike knows more abt this than me...
Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM

qwik EVO review so far yall...

1. my gps has worked great in the city and way out in the country... no funny business..

2. cool weather feature as you move around... it does have some lag though...

3. I found a sweet case at the mall... frosted on the back and clear on the sides...covers all the edges very nicely...

4. 3G is so fast that I havent even used 4G yet... I have a great signal pretty much everywhere I go... which is all over the place...I dropped one call... I have a great 4G signal at my house...

5. I was able to move all my pics and ringtones ad music from my pre bf I wiped its memory...

6.need swype, but have been too busy to install it...

7. occ the 4 buttons @ the bottom dont lite up as they should... when its dark that puts 4 major features in the dark.... which is gonna be a deal killer for me if it does not resolve.... need to investigate this some more...

8. when the lights are working, the battery port is lighted, which is a nice touch, esp when trying to attach the cord in dim conditions.... I am not sure if this area was lighted on purpose or accident...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
One thing that I'm not finding in the EVO is a "Search Server" selection for the exchange email account. WinMob had this feature and it was great. Also wondering if you can have more than one exchange account (don't think so).
Old 10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Mike, at least u were able to find the ebay seller... now what to do from there??? what a strange set of circumstances..... praying u can get to the bottom of this foolishness...
Well someone at XDA is helping me get it replaced. I just shipped the phone an hour ago via FedEx to him and should get there tomorrow so he can put a work order in asap through Bell. He owns an online shop that sells Laptops in Canada and has a pretty good reputation at XDA from what I've been able to gather and has helped other members who are in the same situation so he should know what he's doing.

A lot of people who got the Canadian Galaxy S have been getting the corrupted Internal SD Cards which is kinda disheartening. They're still not sure what's the cause yet because some people are claiming that they were using the phone stock and still got the corrupted SD Card after a few days. Samsung may have a few batches with bad SD Cards.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=793404

Oh and to add, I purchased the Latin American version while my Canadian version is in repairs. It has lesser internal SD Card space but it should hold me until I get the Canadian version back. I'm assuming it'll take about a month or so before I even get the Canadian version back if it gets fixed at all. Once I get it back, I'll most likely give the Latin American version to my girlfriend since she wants a new phone with a big screen and move her away from the iPhone. hehe.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 10-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

go over to xda... there are more rom's over there than you can shake a stick at... cynaogen is the standard that most are judged against... Mike knows more abt this than me...
Yeah Cyanogen is usually a good default ROM to use. It has all the bells and whistles and is usually the most stable. I don't think they have 4G implemented yet but if you don't need it, then the ROM is excellent. The other ROMs, are usually just based off Cyanogen's work and are themed or add an extra app or two with some "speed" tweaks here and there.

7. occ the 4 buttons @ the bottom dont lite up as they should... when its dark that puts 4 major features in the dark.... which is gonna be a deal killer for me if it does not resolve.... need to investigate this some more...
I hear that the lighting is usually random. I think its an Android thing. After a while though, you shouldn't need the lighting as you get used to the button placement and they just make sense where they're at.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bl^5
One thing that I'm not finding in the EVO is a "Search Server" selection for the exchange email account. WinMob had this feature and it was great. Also wondering if you can have more than one exchange account (don't think so).
I don't have too much experience with the stock Android Exchange email app. I've been using NitroDesk's Exchange for Android (Used to be called TouchDown). It has a 30 day trial so if you wanna try it out you can do so and there's also the way of getting it. lol:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/exchange...roid20.nitroid
Old 10-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Oh I don't know if some of you saw this but for the people with the T-Mobile Vibrant's:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=770854

The XDA people found out that the T-Mobile Vibrant has the same layout as the international Galaxy S so you can just install a front facing camera that you can buy online for around $16 (minimum of 3) and get it working with a modified ROM. So the T-Mobile Vibrant can have video calling. Was thinking of going that route since it has the 1900 MHz 3G band for ATT so it would get ATT 3G in some areas. I believe they are now trying to see if they can do the same for the Fascinate.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Oh I don't know if some of you saw this but for the people with the T-Mobile Vibrant's:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=770854

The XDA people found out that the T-Mobile Vibrant has the same layout as the international Galaxy S so you can just install a front facing camera that you can buy online for around $16 (minimum of 3) and get it working with a modified ROM. So the T-Mobile Vibrant can have video calling. Was thinking of going that route since it has the 1900 MHz 3G band for ATT so it would get ATT 3G in some areas. I believe they are now trying to see if they can do the same for the Fascinate.
freakin hotrod android phones... how crazy... what an excellent option!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Yeah Cyanogen is usually a good default ROM to use. It has all the bells and whistles and is usually the most stable. I don't think they have 4G implemented yet but if you don't need it, then the ROM is excellent. The other ROMs, are usually just based off Cyanogen's work and are themed or add an extra app or two with some "speed" tweaks here and there.

I hear that the lighting is usually random. I think its an Android thing. After a while though, you shouldn't need the lighting as you get used to the button placement and they just make sense where they're at.
Since it appears to be a foul up with the ambient lighting sensor, so the majority of the time in low light... i juat out my finger over the sensor... then the lights come on for me...
Old 10-04-2010, 09:47 PM

I'm glad Mike that you found some one who was cool on XDA who can help you get your phone situation straightened out !
Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 PM

I had to slow down the speech synthesis program ...I guess I must speak real slowly ....that was pretty funny to me !
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
anyone here have HTC Incredible, if so how is your battery life? Are you making it through a full day on full charge?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jiggaman
anyone here have HTC Incredible, if so how is your battery life? Are you making it through a full day on full charge?
My friends have the phone and all of them complain about the battery life sucking after the Froyo update. And I don't think you guys are alone:

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredi...tery-life.html

Try out the battery topping technique posted earlier. It should work because HTC phones for some reason don't charge fully when they're on. They only really charge to 100% when they're charged while off:

To also help with Battery Life you can do these steps exactly:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more
2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour
3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well.

My friend went to a Verizon store and they told him it was the HTC Facebook that was killing the battery and the guy at Verizon removed it for him and they gave him a new battery. He said its better now but I seriously doubt its the HTC Facebook app. I suggested that he do a hard reset but I don't think he had the time and ever since he got the new battery he hasn't been complaining. Maybe Verizon will give you a new battery if you complain to them.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

So my Latin American version of the Galaxy S (i9000T) came in yesterday. Its exactly like the Canadian version minus the extra 8 GB of internal space. I finally had the GPS issue that everyone is complaining about while we were looking for a place to eat during our break from the OR. My phone was jumping all over the place. It said I was in the parking lot while we were driving and at one point in the river. lol.

I'm not sure why it happened but the phone was kinda warm to the touch and I was cupping it in my hand. It worked perfectly in the morning but I usually just let it sit still in the middle of my car during those moments. I'm gonna be monitoring it for the next couple of days but hopefully it doesn't happen too often. Supposedly, the problem is fixed in the Froyo ROMs but I won't be touching them until an official one drops. But yeah, I missed this phone. Just waiting on the guy from Canada to get back to me about my bricked one. He just picked it up from FedEx yesterday so he should be getting a work order in soon if Bell lets him.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i haven't bought this phone yet, i am leaning towards getting it, battery life seems like the only issue with this phone. i might buy a larger battery pack for it right out the gate to help.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

i haven't bought this phone yet, i am leaning towards getting it, battery life seems like the only issue with this phone. i might buy a larger battery pack for it right out the gate to help.
Oh okay. You could just switch batteries as necessary. I think the majority of my friends get about 6-8 hours of normal usage (phone calls, texting, facebook) and they don't do any battery savings like I do where I turn off Auto Sync and 3G when I'm not using it.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have too much experience with the stock Android Exchange email app. I've been using NitroDesk's Exchange for Android (Used to be called TouchDown). It has a 30 day trial so if you wanna try it out you can do so and there's also the way of getting it. lol:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/exchange...roid20.nitroid
Touchdown looks like it was designed by a 4th grader.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Touchdown looks like it was designed by a 4th grader.
lol. it gets the job done and them some. but i do agree they can make it look nicer but i guess they were going more for functionality than eye candy.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 PM

So my Latin American version of the Galaxy S (i9000T) came in yesterday. Its exactly like the Canadian version minus the extra 8 GB of internal space. I finally had the GPS issue that everyone is complaining about while we were looking for a place to eat during our break from the OR. My phone was jumping all over the place. It said I was in the parking lot while we were driving and at one point in the river. lol.

I'm not sure why it happened but the phone was kinda warm to the touch and I was cupping it in my hand. It worked perfectly in the morning but I usually just let it sit still in the middle of my car during those moments. I'm gonna be monitoring it for the next couple of days but hopefully it doesn't happen too often. Supposedly, the problem is fixed in the Froyo ROMs but I won't be touching them until an official one drops. But yeah, I missed this phone. Just waiting on the guy from Canada to get back to me about my bricked one. He just picked it up from FedEx yesterday so he should be getting a work order in soon if Bell lets him.
Glad to hear ur back n the land of the newer android again... what ROM is it runnin out da box? ...and yes, I understand why ur NOT gonna grab another unofficial ROM for that specific phone... I have no idea why the GPS is so shady on that group of phones!!! Bell knows that is a bad set of sd cards... this is not an isolated incident...

The larger battery packs are so bulky (and ugly)... with the HTC developed battery fix, my co worker is gettin 12 to 13 hours with her EVO... my EVO out the box has been holding a charge all day... I haven't been charging i until the evening... I can tell you that 4G is battery suicide, the blue-tooth is really not bad on the battery at all...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I spend 2 much time here

The larger battery packs are so bulky (and ugly)... with the HTC developed battery fix, my co worker is gettin 12 to 13 hours with her EVO... my EVO out the box has been holding a charge all day... I haven't been charging i until the evening... I can tell you that 4G is battery suicide, the blue-tooth is really not bad on the battery at all...
what is this HTC developed battery fix?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the Tmobile G2 compare to the Epic? Anyone here know about this G2?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 AM

This from HTC, via the XDA crew...

Originally Posted by htc

Dear XXXX XXXXXX,

Dear XXXX, HTC and Sprint are taking steps to improve observed battery life. HTC is developing a number of handset software optimizations that are expected to increase device operating times. These updates are expected to be available as part of software pushes scheduled for later this summer. As with any software development effort, we cannot provide an exact date. Additionally, Sprint is working to optimize 4G network settings to improve battery life for customers in 4G markets. I will be happy to go over various setting with you that will help extend the battery life. Traditionally WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, and display brightness all greatly impact battery performance. With Android 2.1 another feature that can kill your battery are the Live Wallpapers. If you’re using Live Wallpaper just turn if off. Adjust the Brightness of the display (Menu | Settings | Sound & Display | Brightness). By default it is set to auto adjust but you can manually adjust it down. Consider adjusting the display timeout (Menu | Settings | Sound & Display | Screen Timeout). The default value is 1 minute but you can reduce it to as low as 15 sec but 30 seconds. By default your HTC Incredible vibrates every time you press a key. Turn it off by un-checking the box ‘Vibrate when typing’. Menu | Settings | Language & Keyboards | Touch Input | Text Input | Vibrate when typing. If Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Email, App Updates, or many other things are constantly popping notifications, consider turning some of them off as notifications do impact battery performance; This is done in each app. To also help with Battery Life you can do these steps exactly: 1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well. HTC has received some reports regarding this issue with the screen seperation, and are currently analyzing the potential causes. Most customers are not reporting any issue related to this problem. The issue appears to be cosmetic and should not affect the operation of the device. Additional information will be provided after we finish our investigation of the issue. If you have any other questions or concerns please Reply back to this email or give us a call at our HTC Technical Support Line, 1-866-449-8358. I want to thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service I’d like to invite you to take a survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide, you can also checkout http://shopamerica.htc.com/homebrands/index.htm for more information. HTC Technical Support http://www.HTC.com http://www.Facebook.com/HTC http://www.YouTube.com/user/HTC http://www.Twitter.com/HTC

Interesting! I'm going to try that so called battery doubling trick asap!

2nd reply from HTC below

Originally Posted by htc

Dear XXXX, The EVO 4G and the Incredible are having the same issues with the battery, I do apologize for saying Incredible, but I didgive the correct answer. This battery charging regimine is a one time operation, if you need to do this more than once a month, I would talk to Sprint about a replacement battery, but with the batteries we are looking into the issue further. We are not sure why this works, we like our customers have the HTC phones and were looking into forums and found this and it worked on all of our agents batteries, they all gained about 10 hours of battery life with regular use. We have also, tested how long the batteries take to charge and yes, this battery takes about 4 hours to charge, we are looking into this, but it is not an issue that will harm anything. You should be able to charge your battery while sleeping and you should not have a problem with the battery lasting all day, but again we are looking into the battery situation. With the Micro USB cables, most should work, but we recommend HTC Micro USB cables. You can go to shopamerica.htc.com or http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/do...uct?search=PCD for accessories for your EVO 4G. If you have any other questions or concerns please Reply back to this email or give us a call at our HTC Technical Support Line, 1-866-449-8358. I want to thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service I’d like to invite you to take a survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide, you can also checkout http://shopamerica.htc.com/homebrands/index.htm for more information. HTC Technical Support http://www.HTC.com http://www.Facebook.com/HTC http://www.YouTube.com/user/HTC http://www.Twitter.com/HTC

Ok, this battery charging trick has helped big time! I've been unplugged for 5 hours now and I'm at 80%. usually my battery dies at 6 hours. I just noticed my phone is not sleeping. wonder why that is? anyone know how to find out? wonder if it could be nimbuzz or k9 mail preventing it. I'm guessing the battery life would be really good if the phone would actually sleep.

edit: yup, it was nimbuzz, my IMing program preventing the phone from sleeping. damn, i need an IM program that supports push!! facebook push would be nice also.
CLIFFS:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour.
here is the HTC battery fix... Itz weird, but it works... my co-worker has had 2 weeks of sweetness on her battery since she did it...
Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
I saw teh G2 last night at Radio Shack... I am not sure, but I will look into it...
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Droid 2, T-Mobile G2, Samsung Epic 4G Android Keyboard Battle: Video

Posted on 04 October 2010

If you take three of the top QWERTY keyboard Android smartphones available on the mobile market, you’d probably want to know which of those three handsets packs the best QWERTY and which sliding mechanism feels the best.So we have a video comparison for your viewing pleasure today that pits the Motorola Droid 2 against the T-Mobile G2 against the Samsung Epic 4G in a QWERTY keyboard battle to find out which of the three offers the best QWERTY experience.The QWERTY keyboard comparison video comes our way courtesy of John Walton over at Droid Dog, and delivers 12 minutes of keyboard comparison , but he does note that a great deal of mobile satisfaction is based on user preferences.So with that said I’ll just let you head on down below to check out the Samsung Epic 4G verses the Droid 2 verses the T-Mobile G2 QWERTY keyboard battle…enjoy.

link to original article:

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2010/1...-battle-video/
Old 10-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I spend 2 much time here

here is the HTC battery fix... Itz weird, but it works... my co-worker has had 2 weeks of sweetness on her battery since she did it...
interesting, thx!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Any of you guys with the Galaxy S line (Fascinate, Epic, Captivate, Vibrant, any others?) having issues with GPS acquisition? How's the battery life (saw zguy's post last page)?

If I do get one I'll turn off the 3G when I'm not using it and probably won't have AutoSync on much, if at all. I don't know which phone to get yet.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Its a good phone. Runs at 800 MHz but is comparable to the 1 GHz Snapdragons. On paper, its GPU is slightly better than the Galaxy Phones. In real life, they won't be that much different. Screen is slightly smaller than the Galaxy phones and the hinge supposedly hangs loose when the phone is held upside down and some of them are reportedly coming with the wrong internal SD Card size. (Mix up with the Desire Z which is basically the same phone without the keyboard but smaller internal SD Card.)

Now here comes the real bad part. Its turning off a lot of XDA devs because it won't allow them to root. HTC built the NAND to be read-only meaning a permanent root will be very difficult to come by. I'm sure the devs will figure it out but a lot of them are returning theirs.

http://androidcommunity.com/t-mobile...ersy-20101008/

“Bellevue, Wash. — Oct. 7, 2010 As pioneers in Android-powered mobile devices, T-Mobile and HTC strive to support innovation. The T-Mobile G2 is a powerful and highly customizable Android-powered smartphone, which customers can personalize and make their own, from the look of their home screen to adding their favorite applications and more.

The HTC software implementation on the G2 stores some components in read-only memory as a security measure to prevent key operating system software from becoming corrupted and rendering the device inoperable. There is a small subset of highly technical users who may want to modify and re-engineer their devices at the code level, known as “rooting,” but a side effect of HTC’s security measure is that these modifications are temporary and cannot be saved to permanent memory. As a result the original code is restored.”
Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Glad to hear ur back n the land of the newer android again... what ROM is it runnin out da box? ...and yes, I understand why ur NOT gonna grab another unofficial ROM for that specific phone... I have no idea why the GPS is so shady on that group of phones!!! Bell knows that is a bad set of sd cards... this is not an isolated incident...
It actually came with an unoffical Froyo ROM JP3 which was considered unstable by XDA people. So I immediately flashed it to an Eclair ROM JM8 which is what I was running prior to my Bell phone's internal SD Card corrupting. Its a stable build and pretty fast without the lagfix. I'm gonna be running this way for a while until the official Froyo drops since I already have 90% of what Froyo brings.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Costco
Any of you guys with the Galaxy S line (Fascinate, Epic, Captivate, Vibrant, any others?) having issues with GPS acquisition? How's the battery life (saw zguy's post last page)?

If I do get one I'll turn off the 3G when I'm not using it and probably won't have AutoSync on much, if at all. I don't know which phone to get yet.
I'm using the i9000T and did use the i9000M. They're basically the Galaxy S found internationally with front facing cameras and ATT 3G bands. I didn't have any GPS problems with my i9000M but I only got to use it for a week before the internal SD Card decided to corrupt itself. (This only seems to be an isolated issue with the i9000M and as far as I know, I haven't heard about it with the other Galaxy S variants) On my i9000T, I did have some issues with GPS acquisition but it only happened once and was corrected by a reboot. I used the navigation all day today and I didn't seem to run into it.

Battery life is good. If you do those two you mentioned, you can get at minimum around 8 hours of moderate use. 3G eats up a lot of battery especially in low signal areas and so does AutoSync. If you keep those two off when not using them, you'll be good for a day.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

ok i am complete roookie. I just got my EPIC today at lunch. battery was dead by the time I got out. So i am charging it for the first time. I noticed that it gives me a message saying that battery is low, and I can chose to view what is running most. How can I view these things on command? And if for example, android market something is like 66%, does that mean its running all the time without me knowing? CAn i turn it off?

I feel dumb!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Safety Car

ok i am complete roookie. I just got my EPIC today at lunch. battery was dead by the time I got out. So i am charging it for the first time. I noticed that it gives me a message saying that battery is low, and I can chose to view what is running most. How can I view these things on command? And if for example, android market something is like 66%, does that mean its running all the time without me knowing? CAn i turn it off?

I feel dumb!!!
You can view whats using what by going to Homescreen --> Menu --> Settings --> About --> Battery Status anytime. Yeah if the market says 66% then it means its been on 66% of the time and hasn't been killed. You can kill it manually by clicking on the application in Battery Status then "application info" button then hit force stop or using a task killer (not recommended but some people swear by them, just make sure you know what you're killing and you should be fine.) However, the percentage resets every time you reboot the phone or plug in to charge it even for a second so it may not be indicative of the right percentages.

For the Android phones, disable Auto Sync using the power control widget (Its the one with the 360 arrow looking thing or at the homescreen hit menu --> settings --> accounts and sync --> Auto Sync). This kills battery very fast as it pings google for mail, contact and calendar changes every 15 minutes or so. You won't get your emails automatically but if you're not waiting for an important e-mail just Sync it manually or leave it on at night so it can backup any contacts, calendar changes.

If you have any apps that grab updates like Facebook, change the interval to an 30 minutes or an hour. I'm not sure if the 3G disable trick works for CDMA but if it does use it. Turn off 3G/4G, wifi, bluetooth when you're not using them. Especially 4G because its a big battery drainer at its current state. The battery should improve over a few charges as it cycles. Your first battery charge can suck pretty bad but after a few charge cycles it should get better.

Super AMOLED screens are known to suck battery life when viewing white colors like webpages. Try to keep your background dark colors and it should have better battery in terms of screen usage because black colors = no power being used.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 10-08-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Alright. thank you very much. I guess it would help if i read the manual. lol. I went to view battery usage, and since its charging they all say 0%. I ran the android market and then went to see battery usage and it wasn't even listed. If i am using the market, and i hit home key or youtube and hit home key, it automatically closes those programs right?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

Alright. thank you very much. I guess it would help if i read the manual. lol. I went to view battery usage, and since its charging they all say 0%. I ran the android market and then went to see battery usage and it wasn't even listed. If i am using the market, and i hit home key or youtube and hit home key, it automatically closes those programs right?
Yes and no. Its a little complicated. Android was built for true multitasking. Most apps will close when you hit back or home but there are a few apps that require you hit menu then exit and then there are the poorly coded apps that don't close at all and you have to manually kill or use a task killer. This is all dependent on the app itself.

Android usually closes apps on its own when it needs the extra RAM thats why task killers arent necessary because its automatically done. In some cases though, some apps are just badly coded and don't close when you back out out of them. If you think something is draining your battery, you use that battery status menu setting to see which it is and a) close it a different way, maybe have to hit menu then exit or b) its just poorly coded and you have to manually kill it every time or use a task killer.

If you read my posts a few pages back, task killers aren't recommended for various reasons:

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/

Cliffs of the article:

- RAM is used differently in Android because its Linux based
- Apps are "queued" for instant app launching. Just because they're using up RAM does not mean they're using any CPU cycles. They can just be sitting idle until you decide to launch them.
- Some apps are cross coded meaning they will open other apps even though you didn't open them yourself because they require one or two of the other app's features.
- Killing an app may reopen because of this cross coding effect so in essence task killers are actually killing battery because:
a) It has to monitor which apps are running
b) Closing the apps uses CPU cycles instead of being queued
c) Apps are reopened any way because of the cross coding using up more CPU cycles

Of course, this is all theoretical. Task killers seem to work well for some people especially those with a badly coded app but if you start getting stability problems then you're probably killing a pretty important system app. Most task killers hide those system apps so it shouldn't be a problem though. I personally don't use one and I get good battery life but some people swear by them. Try out both and see what kind of results you get.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 PM

It actually came with an unoffical Froyo ROM JP3 which was considered unstable by XDA people. So I immediately flashed it to an Eclair ROM JM8 which is what I was running prior to my Bell phone's internal SD Card corrupting. Its a stable build and pretty fast without the lagfix. I'm gonna be running this way for a while until the official Froyo drops since I already have 90% of what Froyo brings.
Good! Glad you have a stable build to rock on your new rig Mike! And I am really glad the reboot fixed the GPS issues!

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread