Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
I think I may have bricked my Galaxy. A new Froyo update came out the other day and everyone was getting good results so I went to give it a try. It boot up the first time then started force closing which was understandable since it was an upgrade from a previous firmware. I went into recovery and did a factory reset. Then it just went downhill from there.

The phone turns on then hangs at the boot logo. I can go into recovery mode, download mode, flash whatever ROM I want but it just gets stuck. The XDA people are saying the internal SD card got corrupted and needs to be formatted but I can't even run any shell commands in recovery mode. Samsung Canada and Bell Canada can't do anything cause I'm not a Canadian resident. Back on my Google Ion until I can figure something out. They said if I knew someone in Canada they might be able to help but its kinda sad to know that Samsung's warranty isn't global like other manufacturers. :thumbsdow

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 09-24-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I think I may have bricked my Galaxy. A new Froyo update came out the other day and everyone was getting good results so I went to give it a try. It boot up the first time then started force closing which was understandable since it was an upgrade from a previous firmware. I went into recovery and did a factory reset. Then it just went downhill from there.

The phone turns on then hangs at the boot logo. I can go into recovery mode, download mode, flash whatever ROM I want but it just gets stuck. The XDA people are saying the internal SD card got corrupted and needs to be formatted but I can't even run any shell commands in recovery mode. Samsung Canada and Bell Canada can't do anything cause I'm not a Canadian resident. Back on my Google Ion until I can figure something out. They said if I knew someone in Canada they might be able to help but its kinda sad to know that Samsung's warranty isn't global like other manufacturers. :thumbsdow
...KRUM!

Yummy is in Canada, send it to him... he is an Android head... maybe he can help!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 PM

on a lighter note... one of mu co-workers has a EVO, non flashed, running all the regular stuff... battery is in the toilet today after an all night charge... any ideas yall? Recent update and worse since then!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
on a lighter note... one of mu co-workers has a EVO, non flashed, running all the regular stuff... battery is in the toilet today after an all night charge... any ideas yall? Recent update and worse since then!!!!
Is wifi turned on?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by rza49311
Is wifi turned on?
I need to ask... she is talkin on it right now with it plugged up...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

...KRUM!

Yummy is in Canada, send it to him... he is an Android head... maybe he can help!
Some people on XDA are trying to help but I think any form of warranty repair in Canada requires the receipt. I don't understand why they can't track it by IMEI but thats beyond me. The guy from eBay didn't include the receipt in my package so I just contacted him to see if he still has it in some form. Hopefully he does.

Which charger is she using? If its not the stock wall adapter and its one with lower amperages, she might actually be pulling battery than charging it. Tell your friend to check to see if the adapter has enough amperage. If not, its doing more harm than good.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM

wifi was off... but 4G was turned on... when it died earlier... she is getting about 5 hrs on a full charge... not good.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Some people on XDA are trying to help but I think any form of warranty repair in Canada requires the receipt. I don't understand why they can't track it by IMEI but thats beyond me. The guy from eBay didn't include the receipt in my package so I just contacted him to see if he still has it in some form. Hopefully he does.

Which charger is she using? If its not the stock wall adapter and its one with lower amperages, she might actually be pulling battery than charging it. Tell your friend to check to see if the adapter has enough amperage. If not, its doing more harm than good.
Mike, update us when you find out something bro!!!

She has been using the standard HTC charger that the phone came with...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 PM

This from HTC, via the XDA crew...

Originally Posted by htc

Dear XXXX XXXXXX,

Dear XXXX, HTC and Sprint are taking steps to improve observed battery life. HTC is developing a number of handset software optimizations that are expected to increase device operating times. These updates are expected to be available as part of software pushes scheduled for later this summer. As with any software development effort, we cannot provide an exact date. Additionally, Sprint is working to optimize 4G network settings to improve battery life for customers in 4G markets. I will be happy to go over various setting with you that will help extend the battery life. Traditionally WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, and display brightness all greatly impact battery performance. With Android 2.1 another feature that can kill your battery are the Live Wallpapers. If you’re using Live Wallpaper just turn if off. Adjust the Brightness of the display (Menu | Settings | Sound & Display | Brightness). By default it is set to auto adjust but you can manually adjust it down. Consider adjusting the display timeout (Menu | Settings | Sound & Display | Screen Timeout). The default value is 1 minute but you can reduce it to as low as 15 sec but 30 seconds. By default your HTC Incredible vibrates every time you press a key. Turn it off by un-checking the box ‘Vibrate when typing’. Menu | Settings | Language & Keyboards | Touch Input | Text Input | Vibrate when typing. If Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Email, App Updates, or many other things are constantly popping notifications, consider turning some of them off as notifications do impact battery performance; This is done in each app. To also help with Battery Life you can do these steps exactly: 1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well. HTC has received some reports regarding this issue with the screen seperation, and are currently analyzing the potential causes. Most customers are not reporting any issue related to this problem. The issue appears to be cosmetic and should not affect the operation of the device. Additional information will be provided after we finish our investigation of the issue. If you have any other questions or concerns please Reply back to this email or give us a call at our HTC Technical Support Line, 1-866-449-8358. I want to thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service I’d like to invite you to take a survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide, you can also checkout http://shopamerica.htc.com/homebrands/index.htm for more information. HTC Technical Support http://www.HTC.com http://www.Facebook.com/HTC http://www.YouTube.com/user/HTC http://www.Twitter.com/HTC

Interesting! I'm going to try that so called battery doubling trick asap!

2nd reply from HTC below

Originally Posted by htc

Dear XXXX, The EVO 4G and the Incredible are having the same issues with the battery, I do apologize for saying Incredible, but I didgive the correct answer. This battery charging regimine is a one time operation, if you need to do this more than once a month, I would talk to Sprint about a replacement battery, but with the batteries we are looking into the issue further. We are not sure why this works, we like our customers have the HTC phones and were looking into forums and found this and it worked on all of our agents batteries, they all gained about 10 hours of battery life with regular use. We have also, tested how long the batteries take to charge and yes, this battery takes about 4 hours to charge, we are looking into this, but it is not an issue that will harm anything. You should be able to charge your battery while sleeping and you should not have a problem with the battery lasting all day, but again we are looking into the battery situation. With the Micro USB cables, most should work, but we recommend HTC Micro USB cables. You can go to shopamerica.htc.com or http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/do...uct?search=PCD for accessories for your EVO 4G. If you have any other questions or concerns please Reply back to this email or give us a call at our HTC Technical Support Line, 1-866-449-8358. I want to thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service I’d like to invite you to take a survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide, you can also checkout http://shopamerica.htc.com/homebrands/index.htm for more information. HTC Technical Support http://www.HTC.com http://www.Facebook.com/HTC http://www.YouTube.com/user/HTC http://www.Twitter.com/HTC

Ok, this battery charging trick has helped big time! I've been unplugged for 5 hours now and I'm at 80%. usually my battery dies at 6 hours. I just noticed my phone is not sleeping. wonder why that is? anyone know how to find out? wonder if it could be nimbuzz or k9 mail preventing it. I'm guessing the battery life would be really good if the phone would actually sleep.

edit: yup, it was nimbuzz, my IMing program preventing the phone from sleeping. damn, i need an IM program that supports push!! facebook push would be nice also.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM

CLIFFS:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Mike! Any news on ur rig bro?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:27 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you wiping before flashing a new ROM?

Also, you should be able to run shell commands in fastboot mode.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Mike! Any news on ur rig bro?
Nope. The guy hasn't gotten back to me and apparently they'll only take the original receipt because it has the IMEI number of the phone. So the chance of it getting repaired is looking very slim. I'm thinking of taking the phone apart and try to see if I could possibly just transplant a new internal SDCard from another Galaxy phone, like the T-Mobile Vibrant, or replace the radio in the T-Mobile Vibrant with the Bell Vibrant's radio. (Kinda like phone surgery, if you will. haha.) The problem is, no one's done it yet so I don't even know if its possible. I'm gonna give the guy a week to respond to me before going that route though and I'll be sure to take pictures and a tutorial if it works. lol.

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Are you wiping before flashing a new ROM?

Also, you should be able to run shell commands in fastboot mode.
Samsung uses a different way to flash ROMs. HTC devices use a recovery or fastboot mode to flash ROMs. Samsung, on the other hand, uses a program called Odin and Download mode. (I personally don't like it because you always have to be connected to a computer to flash a ROM. So if you're on the road without a computer on hand, you're out of luck unlike an HTC device.) Samsung's method is supposed to make the process pretty brick free and user friendly with an interface. It is pretty hard to brick a phone with Odin if its used properly but in this case, there's some unknown difference between the European Galaxy and the Canadian Galaxy phones thats causing some internal SDCards in the Canadian Galaxy phones to corrupt even though they're the pretty much the same exact parts just using different cell radios.

Samsung does have a Recovery mode but ADB doesn't have root access like it does with the HTC's. This makes it very difficult to run any ADB codes that change the system files which I need. At this point, the only thing I haven't done is boot into a Linux environment and try to mount the phone's storage as a USB drive but I don't even know how much that'll do. I've already corrected the SDCard corruption as far as I know it, but at this point the phone just hangs at boot no matter what I flash or do to it.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 09-26-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Safety Car

Remember that 3 second HTC Desire HD boot feature? Looks like the CyanogenMod team have figured out how to incorporate it into CM 6.1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ2b6v3XTFA

Apparently, when the phone is "powered off", its actually in a very low power hibernate state so its actually not turned off but rather hibernating. So it is using some power while its off. Smart idea by HTC.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM

Nope. The guy hasn't gotten back to me and apparently they'll only take the original receipt because it has the IMEI number of the phone. So the chance of it getting repaired is looking very slim. I'm thinking of taking the phone apart and try to see if I could possibly just transplant a new internal SDCard from another Galaxy phone, like the T-Mobile Vibrant, or replace the radio in the T-Mobile Vibrant with the Bell Vibrant's radio. (Kinda like phone surgery, if you will. haha.) The problem is, no one's done it yet so I don't even know if its possible. I'm gonna give the guy a week to respond to me before going that route though and I'll be sure to take pictures and a tutorial if it works. lol.

Samsung uses a different way to flash ROMs. HTC devices use a recovery or fastboot mode to flash ROMs. Samsung, on the other hand, uses a program called Odin and Download mode. (I personally don't like it because you always have to be connected to a computer to flash a ROM. So if you're on the road without a computer on hand, you're out of luck unlike an HTC device.) Samsung's method is supposed to make the process pretty brick free and user friendly with an interface. It is pretty hard to brick a phone with Odin if its used properly but in this case, there's some unknown difference between the European Galaxy and the Canadian Galaxy phones thats causing some internal SDCards in the Canadian Galaxy phones to corrupt even though they're the pretty much the same exact parts just using different cell radios.

Samsung does have a Recovery mode but ADB doesn't have root access like it does with the HTC's. This makes it very difficult to run any ADB codes that change the system files which I need. At this point, the only thing I haven't done is boot into a Linux environment and try to mount the phone's storage as a USB drive but I don't even know how much that'll do. I've already corrected the SDCard corruption as far as I know it, but at this point the phone just hangs at boot no matter what I flash or do to it.
Crazy town bro!!!!

I will scrub in and be 1st assist! Heck, I wish I didnt even have to say that!

I didnt realize that there was a small (but growing????) problem with the SDcards in the Galaxy phones from Canada... could there be a sour lot of those cards? I know it will take a while to get to the bottom of it, but you (the consumer) should not be the one to suffer! Have you spoken to a customer service supervisor? ...and whats the deal with someone NOT being available after the sale... thats pretty jacked up... most of the sellers on ebay worry the snot out of you after the sale!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Remember that 3 second HTC Desire HD boot feature? Looks like the CyanogenMod team have figured out how to incorporate it into CM 6.1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ2b6v3XTFA

Apparently, when the phone is "powered off", its actually in a very low power hibernate state so its actually not turned off but rather hibernating. So it is using some power while its off. Smart idea by HTC.
...so, it allows it to boot up super qwik... which is really ...my question is... if you leave it like this and its not plugged in, how fast will your battery discharge, vs.... if it was truly "off" ?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Safety Car

Crazy town bro!!!!

I will scrub in and be 1st assist! Heck, I wish I didnt even have to say that!

I didnt realize that there was a small (but growing????) problem with the SDcards in the Galaxy phones from Canada... could there be a sour lot of those cards? I know it will take a while to get to the bottom of it, but you (the consumer) should not be the one to suffer! Have you spoken to a customer service supervisor? ...and whats the deal with someone NOT being available after the sale... thats pretty jacked up... most of the sellers on ebay worry the snot out of you after the sale!!!
Yeah apparently there is a lot, but the majority of them just get replaced by Bell or Samsung Canada. I was aware of the bug beforehand but wasn't aware that Samsung's warranty wasn't global like other manufacturers (Sony, Nokia, etc.) I only decided to flash after hearing a lot of people who had the Canadian version say it worked for them so I was probably one of the first few who had issues.

I talked to a supervisor at Samsung Canada and he told me that they don't deal with individuals directly even if I was willing to pay for the repairs upfront. They have to get a work order from Bell of another shop three times before Samsung can intervene. (Must be a Canadian law? ) Also, even if I had a work order done, they would only ship to a Canadian address after verification with an original receipt.

I was upset at first, but its something you have to live with when it comes to modding. I guess you can tell I've been doing this for a while. lol. Although, this is my first true brick after years of modding my phones. Lesson learned, always ask for a copy of original receipt when purchasing cell phones from another country. I guess, once the guy got his positive feedback from me, he stopped checking his emails. I wish eBay would give me his cell. lol.

...so, it allows it to boot up super qwik... which is really ...my question is... if you leave it like this and its not plugged in, how fast will your battery discharge, vs.... if it was truly "off" ?
According to Cyanogen, it should last a week in that state. The only downside I see with this is that it actually doesn't close misbehaving apps. But that could be easily fixed with a reboot.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which phone would you guys recommend? The EVO (sprint) or the Epic (sprint)?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
My last 3 phones have had a physical keyboard, so I am stepping out on faith and getting an EVO as soon as I can find one this week..... It seems that everyone is super happy with either phone.. the EVO has been around alil longer than the Epic, so hollar at one of the peeps here via PM who has either one and get a personal take.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Yeah apparently there is a lot, but the majority of them just get replaced by Bell or Samsung Canada. I was aware of the bug beforehand but wasn't aware that Samsung's warranty wasn't global like other manufacturers (Sony, Nokia, etc.) I only decided to flash after hearing a lot of people who had the Canadian version say it worked for them so I was probably one of the first few who had issues.

I talked to a supervisor at Samsung Canada and he told me that they don't deal with individuals directly even if I was willing to pay for the repairs upfront. They have to get a work order from Bell of another shop three times before Samsung can intervene. (Must be a Canadian law? ) Also, even if I had a work order done, they would only ship to a Canadian address after verification with an original receipt.

I was upset at first, but its something you have to live with when it comes to modding. I guess you can tell I've been doing this for a while. lol. Although, this is my first true brick after years of modding my phones. Lesson learned, always ask for a copy of original receipt when purchasing cell phones from another country. I guess, once the guy got his positive feedback from me, he stopped checking his emails. I wish eBay would give me his cell. lol.

According to Cyanogen, it should last a week in that state. The only downside I see with this is that it actually doesn't close misbehaving apps. But that could be easily fixed with a reboot.
Thanks for the update and ur take on the whole situation... I, like you, am surprised that there is so much red tape involved in warranty issues... is everything in Canada that way? I know recently when I ordered some products for my son's dreadlocks from Canada, it took forever to get them and then there was a big fiasco with the need for a signature and an ID to pick it up..when, just a few years back it was cool as a fan and they would leave it at your door...maybe there have been some changes in the regulations that we, here in the US have no idea about... big PITB!

Also, thats alot longer than I woulda figured! and ur rite, that should be able to be fixed really qwik with a tweak or two...

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 09-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
I'd go with HTC over Samsung for bias reasons.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878
I'd go with HTC over Samsung for bias reasons.
I have been looking all day for an EVO... sprint has them online again, but I don't wanna wait for a freakin rebate... that is a trick to:

1) hold onto money so you will forget to come get it...

2) a way to hold and invest money over time that by the time you get it back, they have already made the cash back and they dont miss it at all!!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the update and ur take on the whole situation... I, like you, am surprised that there is so much red tape involved in warranty issues... is everything in Canada that way? I know recently when I ordered some products for my son's dreadlocks from Canada, it took forever to get them and then there was a big fiasco with the need for a signature and an ID to pick it up..when, just a few years back it was cool as a fan and they would leave it at your door...maybe there have been some changes in the regulations that we, here in the US have no idea about... big PITB!

Also, thats alot longer than I woulda figured! and ur rite, that should be able to be fixed really qwik with a tweak or two...
Yeah it must be a Canadian thing because when I was being redirected to Samsung USA it seemed like they would've dealt with me directly but couldn't because the phone wasn't in their system so they couldn't get a work order in. Overall though, I'm not impressed with Samsung's warranty service when compared to Sony and Nokia. I actually had to find a direct line to Samsung Canada because their automated system kept detecting my US area code and Samsung USA had no contact with Samsung Canada. I've never dealt with HTC's so I can't comment on theirs but from what I hear, its excellent.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 09-27-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

If you haven't played with Sense or TouchWiz yet, play with both and that should help you decide better. If you're going to be modding, then the EVO has the upper hand because of the many devs. Now, if you're just gonna leave your phone stock, as is, then the Epic is the better phone, in my opinion. Faster GPU, has a keyboard, Super AMOLED screen. The EVO's screen is slightly bigger.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Safety Car

Here's something pretty cool and shows off the power of Android. An Android/iOS Hybrid called MIUI (Skip the first and last 30 seconds. lol.):

Android Hacks: Android + iOS = MIUI custom ROM

The Chinese have brought us many great things over the years – Bruce Lee, practically every toy you’ve played with as a kid, and Panda Express. Thanks to one of my many good friends on Twitter, (Eric McBride AKA @Dai323) I have found the next big thing from China. Its an Android ROM called MIUI.

Just when you think you’ve seen all that Android has to offer this company seemingly came out of nowhere to release one of the most original types of UI to ever to grace our handsets. Of course, you could argue that it is not TOO original seeing how it’s taken a lot of cues from Apple’s iOS but its the melding of these two great ideas into one that really makes it special.

I know there are some die hard Android fanboys out there that will consider this ROM an abomination and would rather spit on it than put it anywhere near their phone. But for people like me who love new things, innovation and ease of use, I have fallen in love with this Chinese ROM. Not only does it look beautiful but its also based off Android 2.2 AOSP and it flies like a bat out of hell.

Now, it does come from China and there are NUMEROUS devs working on localizing this (Cyanogen himself in talks with MIUI) for just about every popular Android phone out there. Even in its current state its not too hard to navigate familiar Android menus (I’d say 80% of the ROM is in English). This ROM also self updates so if you’re the paranoid type, you might wanna stay away. But if you decide to take the plunge and you wanna give it a shot, you might experience the freshest thing to happen to Android in quite awhile.

Special thanks once again to @IncredibleDoes for bringing us this quick port and @KingKlick92 for helping me get this running on my Evo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Llz...layer_embedded
Source: http://androidandme.com/2010/09/hack...ui-custom-rom/

Cyanogen is supposedly in contacts with the programmers because they've been able to change a lot of things he wasn't able to. Maybe we'll see some very cool features in future CM ROMs.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 09-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

If you haven't played with Sense or TouchWiz yet, play with both and that should help you decide better. If you're going to be modding, then the EVO has the upper hand because of the many devs. Now, if you're just gonna leave your phone stock, as is, then the Epic is the better phone, in my opinion. Faster GPU, has a keyboard, Super AMOLED screen. The EVO's screen is slightly bigger.
yeah, I am not planning on modding it. I noticed DARKSITH was getting an EVO.

Hey SITH.. since you want to switch over to touch screen, the Epic has both options I believe. You can use the touch screen(swype) or go to actual keyboard.

And, what is this AMOLED screen? The glass? I read on Gorilla Glass. Let me check that out..

Thanks. I plan to switch over from Tmobile to spring.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

Hey SITH.. since you want to switch over to touch screen, the Epic has both options I believe. You can use the touch screen(swype) or go to actual keyboard.

And, what is this AMOLED screen? The glass? I read on Gorilla Glass. Let me check that out..

The Galaxy phones use a Super AMOLED screen and are only exclusive to Samsung's Galaxy phones because they're the ones who make the screens and this is their best screen tech for mobiles at the moment. Its different from the regular AMOLED screens found in the original Nexus One, Droid Incredible and Desire as its .3" bigger and has better sunlight visibility. The original AMOLED screens have poor sunlight visibility.

You kinda have to see the screen in person to understand how much better it looks. The colors are vibrant and contrast ratios are amazingly high due to AMOLED's tech in turning off the pixel when displaying black. So when you see black colors, it really is black instead of grayish black in other screens. Also because it turns off the pixel, it saves battery when you have dark wallpapers, or viewing dark things. There are YouTube videos comparing the the screen techs out there at the moment but its best to see them in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY6qp...layer_embedded

Oh and yes, the Galaxy phones do have a gorilla glass. I used mine naked and it did/does not have any scratches on the screen.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The screen on the Epic is really gorgeous, the Evo's screen is ok but nothing amazing (it is bigger though). I want Froyo on my Epic already , it's already really fast but I want more power
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM

I just ordered an EVO... sigh ... b/c nobody in town would have one for 2 to 3 weeks......and even then there were no promises...its a scandal...

I really want the larger screen and the potential to mod it...... you must understand I am using a Palm Pre with a screen only a young person with good eyes could appreciate... LOL... my 16 y/o son cannot wait to get it!

I am also tired of sliding a keyboard to get anything done (my last two phones have had one)...I am experimenting with a touch only phone... if I hate it, then in <30 days I will have an Epic!...
I loved my Treo 650 and kept it for 3 years... that was a beast! In fact my son is rocking my 3rd one right now... his Instinct pooped out finally...

Gunmetal, Why are u switching over to the T?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Oh and yes, the Galaxy phones do have a gorilla glass. I used mine naked and it did/does not have any scratches on the screen.
IE: I better get a screen protector for my EVO pronto, since I didnt get the Epic!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM

This is just crazy! This is what I got when I put in my order number...

Orly? Is this a 'brand new' phone? NO!

"Status: Due to timing of delivery of HTC EVOs at our warehouse, your order, or a portion of your order, is temporarily in backorder status. This will not change our delivery commitment to you and you can continue to expect your HTC EVO to arrive within 2 to 5 business days based on date of order."
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Team Owner

Did I read that right? You finally pulled the trigger for an EVO? Congrats!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by zguy95135
The screen on the Epic is really gorgeous, the Evo's screen is ok but nothing amazing (it is bigger though). I want Froyo on my Epic already , it's already really fast but I want more power
Heard a rumor that Froyo will be going on all Galaxy S phones at the end of October, is that true?

CGFebTSX04 - Looked at the Incredible and Fascinate, I have to say, the Fascinate has me sold on the screen and size. The only thing holding me back is the Froyo update. Debating on waiting until that's officially released on the Galaxy S phones prior to buying it.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

I just ordered an EVO... sigh ... b/c nobody in town would have one for 2 to 3 weeks......and even then there were no promises...its a scandal...

I really want the larger screen and the potential to mod it...... you must understand I am using a Palm Pre with a screen only a young person with good eyes could appreciate... LOL... my 16 y/o son cannot wait to get it!

I am also tired of sliding a keyboard to get anything done (my last two phones have had one)...I am experimenting with a touch only phone... if I hate it, then in <30 days I will have an Epic!...
I loved my Treo 650 and kept it for 3 years... that was a beast! In fact my son is rocking my 3rd one right now... his Instinct pooped out finally...

Gunmetal, Why are u switching over to the T?
I am with Tmobile right now. But I am paying around 89 dollars with BlackBerry 8900. I wanted something faster. Better downloads. I get frustraded when the few times I wanted to use NAV and it takes soo long that I pass my exits lol. Even the net, its supper slow. I see Sprint has good plans and 3G must be faster than what I got on my 8900 which I think its like dual band, maybe 2G at most.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM

I am with Tmobile right now. But I am paying around 89 dollars with BlackBerry 8900. I wanted something faster. Better downloads. I get frustraded when the few times I wanted to use NAV and it takes soo long that I pass my exits lol. Even the net, its supper slow. I see Sprint has good plans and 3G must be faster than what I got on my 8900 which I think its like dual band, maybe 2G at most.
Since the era of all these new fangled phones, I have only been with Sprint, so I really dont have anything to compare it to.. I can say that from phone to phone there are some huge differences on gps signal and navi function... Mike gave a good review on the Galaxy S phone's superior gps / navi with a real time report from Miami... I know my palm pre gives me the blues and so did my HTC TP 1... so, ask about the specific phone ur interested in on Sprint... the word awesome was used to describe the gps / navi on the evo when I asked my co-worker.. thats in the Houston and Dallas markets b/c she travels... I need to ask her about the Texas valley area too...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878
Did I read that right? You finally pulled the trigger for an EVO? Congrats!!!
Thanks bro!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Heard a rumor that Froyo will be going on all Galaxy S phones at the end of October, is that true?

CGFebTSX04 - Looked at the Incredible and Fascinate, I have to say, the Fascinate has me sold on the screen and size. The only thing holding me back is the Froyo update. Debating on waiting until that's officially released on the Galaxy S phones prior to buying it.

Samsung Galaxy S to receive Froyo update on Halloween

Posted on 27. Sep, 2010 by Alexandru Grosu in Cellphone News, News

Ever since the release of the Samsung Galaxy S fans have been waiting for an upgrade that will bring their handset operating system to Android 2.2. Once rumor got out that the much awaited pack would be released in late September, everyone got really excited and Samsung was forced to announce that they’ve set the end of the month as a deadline. It may have been planned that way, or they might have been pressured by the media, we’ll never find out, but what we do know is that the Spanish Samsung Division posted on Facebook a new announcement, stating that the regional release date for the Froyo update would be Halloween day.

With more and more phones running Google’s Android operating system being sold every day, the upgrading process to Froyo slowly turned in a race between different carrier providers or phone manufacturers. No wonder people are so keen on getting their hands on it, considering that it improves CPU performance and apps speed 2 to 5 times, depending on the phone. Other enhanced areas are the APIs and Services, including alert enabling, send to phone features for the installed applications and the possibility to back up programs or the entire phone both manually and automatically. Furthermore, when running Froyo, users will be able to choose if they want the apps installed on SDcards and only later on moved to the internal storage device, rather than directly on the phone.
Samsung Galaxy S to receive Froyo on Halloween

As portability and connectivity are the key words for any smart-phone, Wi-Fi capabilities play an important role in deciding on a phone’s quality. That is why Android 2.2 introduces the ability to use the phone as a hotspot, allowing easier access on a PC to the internet, through the mobile phone. And speaking of internet, javascript rendering has been improved 2 to 3 times, dramatically increasing browser performance when surfing more complex sites. Lastly, the desktop and the Android Market have been completely redesigned in order to make important features more accessible.

Back to the Samsung Galaxy S, once all these updates will have been installed through the Froyo pack, users will be able to use the phone at its best. Unfortunately, as the announcement has been made by a regional division, the Spanish one, we can’t tell for sure how long it will take for users all over the world to get their handsets upgraded to Android 2.2.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts

Samsung Galaxy S to receive Froyo update on Halloween

Posted on 27. Sep, 2010 by Alexandru Grosu in Cellphone News, News

Ever since the release of the Samsung Galaxy S fans have been waiting for an upgrade that will bring their handset operating system to Android 2.2. Once rumor got out that the much awaited pack would be released in late September, everyone got really excited and Samsung was forced to announce that they’ve set the end of the month as a deadline. It may have been planned that way, or they might have been pressured by the media, we’ll never find out, but what we do know is that the Spanish Samsung Division posted on Facebook a new announcement, stating that the regional release date for the Froyo update would be Halloween day.

With more and more phones running Google’s Android operating system being sold every day, the upgrading process to Froyo slowly turned in a race between different carrier providers or phone manufacturers. No wonder people are so keen on getting their hands on it, considering that it improves CPU performance and apps speed 2 to 5 times, depending on the phone. Other enhanced areas are the APIs and Services, including alert enabling, send to phone features for the installed applications and the possibility to back up programs or the entire phone both manually and automatically. Furthermore, when running Froyo, users will be able to choose if they want the apps installed on SDcards and only later on moved to the internal storage device, rather than directly on the phone.

As portability and connectivity are the key words for any smart-phone, Wi-Fi capabilities play an important role in deciding on a phone’s quality. That is why Android 2.2 introduces the ability to use the phone as a hotspot, allowing easier access on a PC to the internet, through the mobile phone. And speaking of internet, javascript rendering has been improved 2 to 3 times, dramatically increasing browser performance when surfing more complex sites. Lastly, the desktop and the Android Market have been completely redesigned in order to make important features more accessible.

Back to the Samsung Galaxy S, once all these updates will have been installed through the Froyo pack, users will be able to use the phone at its best. Unfortunately, as the announcement has been made by a regional division, the Spanish one, we can’t tell for sure how long it will take for users all over the world to get their handsets upgraded to Android 2.2.
Saw that article, but the announcement is for the Spanish region, it wouldn't make sense that they'll do it for one region and not everyone else. I'd like to hear the official confirmation and date for the US
Old 09-28-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Saw that article, but the announcement is for the Spanish region, it wouldn't make sense that they'll do it for one region and not everyone else. I'd like to hear the official confirmation and date for the US
I looked all over and that's the most recent announcement... I am with you, the SPANISH region doesn't mean the US by any means... I will keep an eye out for a more recent article when one shows up...

Rick
Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Team Owner

Esweet

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread