Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Google just updated the Maps app to 4.7.0. It adds a Hotpot feature which is like a mashup of Yelp/Foursquare/Places in one:

Personally Yours on the Go - Personalized Recommendations in Google Maps 4.7
Monday, November 15, 2010 | 7:30 PM

Google Maps on Android just got even hotter with Hotpot, our new local recommendation engine that helps you discover places you’ll love based on opinions from you and your friends. Here’s how to get the benefits of Hotpot on your phone:

Rate places on the go — Now you can write and publish ratings and reviews from your mobile phone. We make it quick and easy with a new rating widget designed for rating places on the go. Install it from your homescreen by going to Menu > Add > Widgets > Rate Places. You can also post ratings and reviews directly from any Place page. So, when you polish off the crispiest carnitas taco you’ve ever eaten, you can pull out your Android phone to celebrate the event and give that taqueria the public love it deserves.

Get personalized recommendations — Why rate the places you’ve been? First, your ratings will personalize your search results by customizing them according to your tastes. Even better, when you add friends to the mix using Hotpot on your computer, your ratings will point them in the direction of the best enchiladas in town the next time they crave Mexican food, wherever they happen to be.

Of course, this works the other way too — so to reap the rewards, you’ll want to add friends to get recommendations for the places they love. Notice how John Hawkins, a colleague of mine in London who knows a lot about English pubs, recommends The Grenadier below.

Get Google Maps 4.7 for Android 1.6 and above everywhere Maps is already available. Just search for Google Maps in Android Market (or tap here from your phone).

By the way, if you’re an iPhone user, good news: we’ll soon have a Places app that allows you to rate and get place recommendations as well. Alternatively, you can rate and get place recommendations from your phone browser (iPhone and Android) in the US. Just visit the Places tab at google.com as we roll out over the next day.

We hope you enjoy getting and giving personalized recommendations to make place finding better and more fun.
Source: http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/201...sonalized.html

You can check out the Hotpot website too. The interface doesn't look bad at all:

www.google.com/hotpot
Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
The Nexus S was announced officially finally earlier today.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/t...a-closer-look/

Looks like the Epic 4G without a keyboard. If Samsung didn't change the internal parts too much then this would be very good news for the current Galaxy S owners. We can have a Vanilla Gingerbread! And Gingerbread is supposed to come in 2 weeks.
Should I wait for this or the Incredible HD????
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Exclusive: LG's 4-inch Android phone with dual-core Tegra 2 and 1080p video coming in early 2011

By Vlad Savov posted Nov 16th 2010 6:33AM
Exclusive

Wow. LG did say it'd bring some heat to its Android Optimus line and here's our first look at it, folks! An 8 megapixel camera-wearing, 1080p video-recording, dual-core superphone to appease all the spec fanatics out there. Aimed for release early next year, as the very first dual-core Android handset, this device will finally bring NVIDIA's Tegra 2 into the smartphone realm. Our tipster tells us it's codenamed Star internally, though that's certain to change in the final product nomenclature. You might think that massive Google logo on the back would imply stock Android and you'd be right -- we're told it'll be a nearly untouched representation of the Google OS, though it's still not clear which version it'll be. We've also spotted a front-facing camera on the front, while the innards include microSD memory expandability, microUSB connectivity, and a 1500mAh battery. Nexus who?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/e...e-tegra-2-and/
Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 PM

HTC attempts to trademark 'HTC EVO Shift 4G'

By Sean Hollister posted Nov 14th 2010 6:04PM

What would you name your next superphone? HTC may be calling its device the HTC EVO Shift 4G, as that's the name its lawyers filed for trademark for on the 21st of last month. We can't say which particular gizmo the moniker refers to, though it evokes a Sprint leaning, as well as dredging up our suppressed feelings towards a certain QWERTY-equipped MID. Though, interestingly enough, the company applied for "HTC EVO 4G Shift" before changing the name to "HTC EVO Shift 4G." We'll let you draw your own conclusions about what that could possibly mean.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Should I wait for this or the Incredible HD????
I would wait and see how Vanilla, the Nexus S one will be. If it really does keep in line with the "Nexus" branding then it means it will get the updates before all other phones just like the Nexus One. We'll have to wait and see how much of a Nexus the phone is and how much influence Samsung had on the handset. Only a few weeks from now.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Safety Car

Speaking of LG, they just sold 1 million Optimus phones in 40 days. Pretty impressive considering the phone is a low end Android phone.

LG Optimus One Sells 1 Million Units in Nearly a Month and a Half
by Quentyn Kennemer on November 16th, 2010

LG’s proven that an affordable Android handset can still attract a lot of folks as they’ve announced that they’ve sold over 1 million phones from their Optimus One line of products. While it’s not the most impressive phone by any means, the Optimus One is a fantastic option for folks who don’t have the coin to drop on a powerhouse. Its price:performance ratio is satiable in every sense of the word, and with the holiday season coming up, we won’t be surprised to hear that they’ve been able to smash the 2 or even 3 million mark. (Especially when Verizon begins stocking it as the LG Vortex.) Read on for the full press details.

LG OPTIMUS ONE HITS 1 MILLION SALES WORLDWIDE
Popular Android 2.2 Smartphone Sets Company Sales Record in Just Over One Month

SEOUL, Nov. 16, 2010 – LG Electronics (LG) today announced that worldwide sales of its Optimus One smartphone have hit one million units just 40 days after the phone’s initial launch. Now available in most of Europe, Asia-Pacific countries and the USA* , the Optimus One is the fastest selling mobile handset in the company’s history.

Powered by the Android 2.2 “Froyo” OS and optimized for Google Mobile Services, the LG Optimus One has been a big hit with first-time smartphone buyers looking for high performance and useful applications in a handset priced very competitively to feature phones.

“The versatile, powerful LG Optimus One was designed to provide an easy transition into the world of smartphones and as these numbers demonstrate, there is obviously a strong demand for this type of device,” said Dr. Jong-seok Park, President and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “Optimus One seems to be what many customers were waiting for, proving that smartphones aren’t just for early adopters anymore.”

One of the first smartphones to launch with Google’s latest operating system, the Optimus One allows for up to three times faster internet browsing, web-page loading, and multi-tasking. The Optimus One also incorporates a unique LG-designed user-interface (UI) along with a camera that features face tracking and smile shot, a 3.2” wide HVGA screen and a long-lasting 1500mAh capacity battery.

With a nod to style-conscious users, LG’s new smartphone comes in a wide range of color schemes including black, wine, titan, blue, silver and purple. Exact color availability will vary from market to market.

With the global roll-out still under way, the Optimus One will soon be available via 120 carriers and partners. LG expects Optimus One to be its first 10 million-seller smartphone.

* In the United States also known as Optimus S (Sprint) and Optimus T (T-mobile) with Vortex™ (Verizon) to be launched on November 18.
Source: http://phandroid.com/2010/11/16/lg-o...th-and-a-half/

I guess this is LG's plan of hooking people into an LG Android phone before releasing their super phone in the next few months.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM

I guess this is LG's plan of hooking people into an LG Android phone before releasing their super phone in the next few months.
Hey, looks like its working...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any t-mobile g2 user root their phones yet? First time attempting a root and i'm really confused about it. thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Safety Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9zn_BEth4

1. Download Terminal and Astro off the market. Download Visionary 11 here: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-...ne-click-root/

2. Temp root using Visionary, make sure "set system r/w after root' is checked before you root.

3. Go download the necessary files from XDA onto your pc that I showed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833965

4. Place the files on your phones SD Card in the root directory. wpthis-OTA applies to phones who have gotten the OTA update, wpthis-pre-OTA applies to the phones that haven't.

5. Open up terminal, type in "su" then press enter. Then without exiting type in "insmod /sdcard/wpthis-[YOURVERSION].ko" and press enter. Make sure you use the proper version of wpthis that applies to you. If you got the proper message type in "dd if=/sdcard/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18". Do not exit terminal in this step at all.

6. Exit terminal and run visionary again to make sure you're rooted.

7. Go back into terminal and type "su" then press enter, then type "sync". Wait about 10 seconds then pull the battery out.

8. Boot into recovery by holding volume down + power off until it comes up.

If it says S-OFF, you're rooted! Good job!

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-16-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 PM

...someone said in the WP7 thread that the fact that Android had so many different phones was chaos... look at this link,

http://phandroid.com/phones/

this doesn't look like chaos, it looks like you don't have to see your phone on every street corner, party or business meeting... do you want to be pulling the same phone with the same exact OS from your pocket? I don't!

Check out this classic scene from "American Psycho"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLlYA8NNc0

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 11-16-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM

Mike, thanks again for being such a huge help in this thread!!!

I have been traveling half the day seeing patients... ...how is clinicals treating you right now... are you in the swing good yet?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Ok, so I cannot embed the vid... either yall have seen it or you will have to go to youtube to watch... some sort of copyright restriction most likely... oh well...LOL
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you!!! For some reason i cant get Visionary version 11 though. The site appears to be down.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Mike, thanks again for being such a huge help in this thread!!!

I have been traveling half the day seeing patients... ...how is clinicals treating you right now... are you in the swing good yet?
Its been good, just been busy. Me and my partner are shadowing a Colon and Rectal surgeon from 9-5 when we don't have lectures. He's a pretty funny guy and he's teaching us a lot of things which is really cool. I'm really surprised to see so many people with rectal problems. Be it condylomas, hemorrhoids, fistulas, fissures. Was seriously expecting very few patients in his office but he sees about 25-30 a day when he's not doing surgery or colonoscopies.

Another thing that surprised me was most of his patients grew up believing that seeds from vegetables causes diverticulosis, so they avoid them like the plague. Then they come in with lots of diverticulae and other abdominal problems because all they eat is the unhealthy stuff. Its quite disturbing. Its also our last few weeks of school so of course they decide to pile us with everything last minute. lol. I have a physical exam final, a powerpoint presentation on seizures and then finals to worry about in the next few days. Should be fun, fun, fun...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by merkin110
Thank you!!! For some reason i cant get Visionary version 11 though. The site appears to be down.
http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/down...ionaryplus.apk
Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Safety Car

...someone said in the WP7 thread that the fact that Android had so many different phones was chaos... look at this link,

http://phandroid.com/phones/

this doesn't look like chaos, it looks like you don't have to see your phone on every street corner, party or business meeting... do you want to be pulling the same phone with the same exact OS from your pocket? I don't!

Check out this classic scene from "American Psycho"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLlYA8NNc0
And that's what makes Android better IMO. I don't want my phone to be like someone else's. Its not chaos, its called having options and exercising your choice to choose what you think best fits your needs. Yes, it may require you to research which phone is the best but I think thats what makes it unique. Personally, I don't like being spoonfed with what people think is the best because whats best for me is not going to ever be the same as best for you. I try to read all the reviews and the unique features of everything I buy before I decide to finalize my purchase and frankly, Android fulfills that at the moment.

WM6 died because Microsoft refused to actively update the OS without making you purchase a new WM6 phone each and every time. They even attempted to file a cease and desist on XDA back in the day when they were the ones who were making their phones usable. WP7 is currently still in its infancy and it definitely has potential. At the moment, however, I don't think it appeals to power users just yet. I really think when the next generation of WP7 phones come, it'll probably be worth the purchase. Right now, they're just playing catch up.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-16-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

both sites appear to be down.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

both sites appear to be down.
Worked for me. Check your PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Alright android gurus. question....

I use handcent as my main sms app. Is there a way for me to remove the native sms app from the notification bar? Right now I get two notifications, one from each sms app. I need to be able to do this w/out rooting because the 'Good for Enterprise' app does a compliance check with the server and doesn't allow rooted devices.

Should/can I uninstall the native sms app?

TMO G2 running android 2.2

Ideally, I would like to be able to edit what shows on the top notification bar.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM
AM Flakes still Drippin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^go to your native messaging app(Messaging), menu/settings and uncheck Notifications. Also don't uninstall the native app because that is what still brings in your texts which are then ported to Handcent I believe.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks. That was pretty easy. Overthinking is my specialty.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
AM Flakes still Drippin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No worries, definitely been there myself!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Its been good, just been busy. Me and my partner are shadowing a Colon and Rectal surgeon from 9-5 when we don't have lectures. He's a pretty funny guy and he's teaching us a lot of things which is really cool. I'm really surprised to see so many people with rectal problems. Be it condylomas, hemorrhoids, fistulas, fissures. Was seriously expecting very few patients in his office but he sees about 25-30 a day when he's not doing surgery or colonoscopies.

Another thing that surprised me was most of his patients grew up believing that seeds from vegetables causes diverticulosis, so they avoid them like the plague. Then they come in with lots of diverticulae and other abdominal problems because all they eat is the unhealthy stuff. Its quite disturbing. Its also our last few weeks of school so of course they decide to pile us with everything last minute. lol. I have a physical exam final, a powerpoint presentation on seizures and then finals to worry about in the next few days. Should be fun, fun, fun...
Awesome... the colo-rectal guys (and gals) are usually a blast! There is a huge amount of path in such a short area there... and the surgeries are really something else... are yall scrubbing with him too?

...and ur so rite the bowel gets jacked up pretty bad from poor food intake... fiber is really key to keeping your bowels in good shape... most of the food we eat just lays around and slides down...really gross

....finally, does the med school think you have a life? NO.... and they figure you never will...judging from my life and most of the other docs I know...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone know a good Youtube downloader app for Android? I tried Tube Mate, but it was buggy for me. I have a myTouch Slide 3g running 2.1 update 1.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Safety Car

Awesome... the colo-rectal guys (and gals) are usually a blast! There is a huge amount of path in such a short area there... and the surgeries are really something else... are yall scrubbing with him too?

...and ur so rite the bowel gets jacked up pretty bad from poor food intake... fiber is really key to keeping your bowels in good shape... most of the food we eat just lays around and slides down...really gross

....finally, does the med school think you have a life? NO.... and they figure you never will...judging from my life and most of the other docs I know...
Yeah, the path in the rectal area is really amazing even though its such a small portion in the body. So much going on down there and it can tell you so much about your health. We don't get to scrub in but we are in our scrubs and masks and he lets us come in really close during the operation so we get a good view of all the structures and how he performs his surgeries. If we were still on the island, he'd probably let us assist in the surgery. lol.

Most of his patients are HIV+ though. So they have a special vaccuum that sucks up the smoke created from the electrocautery so the HIV particles don't get spread around and inhaled by the staff. Its pretty risky for him as well because one wrong cut and he can be pretty much exposed to HIV.

Haven't had a life in a long while. Med school just keeps you busy nonstop. We do try to go out here since we are in Miami but our schedules usually don't mesh so we kinda do our own things. During this xmas break, I'm already planning on how to study for my exams. It just never ends. lol.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Rooted and now running Cyanogen
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Yeah, the path in the rectal area is really amazing even though its such a small portion in the body. So much going on down there and it can tell you so much about your health. We don't get to scrub in but we are in our scrubs and masks and he lets us come in really close during the operation so we get a good view of all the structures and how he performs his surgeries. If we were still on the island, he'd probably let us assist in the surgery. lol.

Most of his patients are HIV+ though. So they have a special vaccuum that sucks up the smoke created from the electrocautery so the HIV particles don't get spread around and inhaled by the staff. Its pretty risky for him as well because one wrong cut and he can be pretty much exposed to HIV.

Haven't had a life in a long while. Med school just keeps you busy nonstop. We do try to go out here since we are in Miami but our schedules usually don't mesh so we kinda do our own things. During this xmas break, I'm already planning on how to study for my exams. It just never ends. lol.
Thanks for the update man! This is why I tell anyone that wants to be a doc, make sure you freakin love it! If not, you will be tried and pissed off, not just tired...LOL...

....and I am doing a bunch of CME, so it doesn't end... just make sure when you get into practice, you go on some sweet trips for CME... you get huge numbers of hours and exposure to lots of other docs too... I haven't been on one of those in a while...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mystikk
Anyone know a good Youtube downloader app for Android? I tried Tube Mate, but it was buggy for me. I have a myTouch Slide 3g running 2.1 update 1.
I went to XDA and did a search... there are quite a few threads over there... I dont have time to read thru them rite now, but here's the link... are you a member over there? If not, join them... great bunch of peeps... super helpful... I hardly have to go anywhere else...

http://www.google.com/cse?q=youtube+...&ie=ISO-8859-1
Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Rooted and now running Cyanogen
Cyanogen FTW!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Anybody running Firefox Beta for mobile? I just installed this last night.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/beta/

Not the fastest at rendering pages, but the interface is decent. The scrolling and pinch to zoom are very responsive. Should be a good browser if they can make it render pages better.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
Need some advice here.

Ive been with TMobile for about 7 years now. I got the G1 when it first came out and Ive been hooked on Android since. Im currently running a MyTouch Slide, which is a decent phone (although I prefer the 5 row kbb of the G1).

The problem is the network. It used to be pretty good, but when they unveiled HSPA+ in my area about 10 months ago the network got spotty at best. I continuously cycle through GPRS, Edge, and 3G/HSPA+. When I call them they say it must be where I live, however I travel alot for work and it happens everywhere. My brother has the same issues; same phone, same carrier, same job. My friend had a MyTouch 3G (not the Slide), and when he visited from NY he had the same issue as well. They tell us they will have an engineer check the towers and get back to us (never heard back from them on any of the service tickets I had opened) Plus, TMos phone selection sucks.

Ive been thinking about switching over to Verizon. I can get a 25% discount on monthly service and select phones through work. Who here has Verizon and what are your thoughts? Im planning on waiting until the new year to see what else they come out with since they technically dont have any 4g phones just yet. It just has to have a keyboard.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 11-18-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Cyanogen FTW!!!
Meh...Liquid for the win!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Need some advice here.

Ive been with TMobile for about 7 years now. I got the G1 when it first came out and Ive been hooked on Android since. Im currently running a MyTouch Slide, which is a decent phone (although I prefer the 5 row kbb of the G1).

The problem is the network. It used to be pretty good, but when they unveiled HSPA+ in my area about 10 months ago the network got spotty at best. I continuously cycle through GPRS, Edge, and 3G/HSPA+. When I call them they say it must be where I live, however I travel alot for work and it happens everywhere. My brother has the same issues; same phone, same carrier, same job. My friend had a MyTouch 3G (not the Slide), and when he visited from NY he had the same issue as well. They tell us they will have an engineer check the towers and get back to us (never heard back from them on any of the service tickets I had opened) Plus, TMos phone selection sucks.

Ive been thinking about switching over to Verizon. I can get a 25% discount on monthly service and select phones through work. Who here has Verizon and what are your thoughts? Im planning on waiting until the new year to see what else they come out with since they technically dont have any 4g phones just yet. It just has to have a keyboard.
HTC is about to release a new phone called the HTC Merge:

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-merg...site-20101118/

It was supposed to come out earlier but rumor is, they delayed the launch to add LTE to it. They accidentally published the phone on the Verizon website so it probably means its about to be released in the market. The only downside I see on the phone is the Bing integration but I'm sure that could be replaced with root.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2010/1...o-lte-upgrade/
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BigLizard
Meh...Liquid for the win!!!!
You realize that most ROMs and features are derived from Cyanogen and his team. To say meh to him is kinda odd.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

Those who've used WM 6 remember SPB Mobile Shell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNO7l...layer_embedded

Looks like it'll be coming to Android soon. No release date yet but it looks like they have it running on an international Galaxy S phone in the video.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
HTC is about to release a new phone called the HTC Merge:

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-merg...site-20101118/

It was supposed to come out earlier but rumor is, they delayed the launch to add LTE to it. They accidentally published the phone on the Verizon website so it probably means its about to be released in the market. The only downside I see on the phone is the Bing integration but I'm sure that could be replaced with root.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2010/1...o-lte-upgrade/
Thanks! Ive heard about it and I believe another Samsung going to Verizon as well but I havent looked into either. Im not a fan of Sense though, but thats something root can fix.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Firefox browser sucks. Even on wifi it's slow as shit.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Have you guys tried the browsers coming out of China?

MIREN browser (from MIUI)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=840540

UC browser

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843773

Gonna give them a shot but judging from the comments in XDA, they're really good.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

Have you guys tried the browsers coming out of China?

MIREN browser (from MIUI)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=840540

UC browser

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843773

Gonna give them a shot but judging from the comments in XDA, they're really good.
So first impressions...MIREN is pretty nice. Pretty fast and the webpages I've visited so far are being rendered correctly. Might replace my default browser for the time being.

UC Browser. Reminds me a lot of the Symbian browsers in terms of layout of webpages. It wouldn't display Yahoo and Engadget mobile version correctly. The interface is nice but I couldn't get it to display the sites properly. Maybe in the future updates I'll give it another try. For now, its gonna be uninstalled.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 PM

I am happy with dolphin browser. Do I have to be rooted to use the MIREN browser?

I just wish I could find a mobile browser that didn't have to reload the page when you click 'back'.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread