Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Swype......I will never settle for anything less
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Hey, heard people root their phone to remove bloatware. Where do I go and delete this bloatware? I don't even know what's bloatware and what's not.....
Once you have root access, download an app called Titanium Backup. There is a Pro version and I recommend it if you change firmwares a lot like I do. It can do a backup and restore of all your apps, along with their save data and settings and sms/mms/call logs/bookmarks. The free version allows you to backup and restore but you have to manually hit install for each app. If you get the pro version, its automatic. Saves a lot of time reinstalling your apps when changing firmwares. To uninstall the bloatware, open up Titanium backup then go to Backup/Restore tab and scroll to the app(s) you want to uninstall then hit uninstall. Thats it. On my phone, it came with a bunch of software I don't use like Kobo, Layar, ThinkOffice, My Files, all the Samsung TouchWiz Widgets, etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Any ways, XDA got a leak 2.2 made for the Vibrant (T959)

If anyone cares......

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=857748
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Once you have root access, download an app called Titanium Backup. There is a Pro version and I recommend it if you change firmwares a lot like I do. It can do a backup and restore of all your apps, along with their save data and settings and sms/mms/call logs/bookmarks. The free version allows you to backup and restore but you have to manually hit install for each app. If you get the pro version, its automatic. Saves a lot of time reinstalling your apps when changing firmwares. To uninstall the bloatware, open up Titanium backup then go to Backup/Restore tab and scroll to the app(s) you want to uninstall then hit uninstall. Thats it. On my phone, it came with a bunch of software I don't use like Kobo, Layar, ThinkOffice, My Files, all the Samsung TouchWiz Widgets, etc.
Thank you. That is really helpful. I've heard great things about Titanium Backup and will actually drop money on it, unlike iPhone apps

By the way, I am a bit confused and I hope my question isn't too confusing. Someone said on the XDA forum that 2.2 isn't worth flashing. What does that mean? I thought that when you upgrade firmware, you're flashing the ROM, correct? So are other ways that the system reads the firmware or what? Or did he meant 2.2 isn't worth upgrading?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
You can use adb to remove them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnkn0wIHEQU
Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Thank you. That is really helpful. I've heard great things about Titanium Backup and will actually drop money on it, unlike iPhone apps

By the way, I am a bit confused and I hope my question isn't too confusing. Someone said on the XDA forum that 2.2 isn't worth flashing. What does that mean? I thought that when you upgrade firmware, you're flashing the ROM, correct? So are other ways that the system reads the firmware or what? Or did he meant 2.2 isn't worth upgrading?
There are many ways to get the apps and you don't even need root to install and use them but Titanium is one app that deserves money and I paid for.

He probably meant that 2.2 isn't that big of an update in terms of features compared to 2.1. He's probably waiting for the official release from the carriers before flashing the unofficial ROMs on XDA to be on the safe side. You can get by with 2.1 for a while because it has 90% of the features of 2.2. There are some new things in 2.2 but not mind blowing other than Adobe Flash. The other features there's usually an app that covers it.

I felt the same way with the first 2.2 leaked builds but the recent builds have been excellent. When the 2.2 first leaked, they were very laggy compared to the 2.1 builds and used up a lot of RAM. The only thing that got borked after flashing my current 2.2 build was the GPS but I was able to fix by pulling an excellent driver from a build that was working and transplanted into the ROM I'm using now. (That's why I love Android. Always able to pull from other builds and it'll work 90% of the time. lol.) Now I can get a fix within 10-20 seconds and it locks to about 9 satellites on average. Sadly, it still does get confused when there's large buildings around but I rarely use navigation so its not a deal breaker for me. Plus I have a spare external bluetooth GPS if I really need GPS that badly. At the time being, GPS works good enough for my needs.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-01-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
You can use adb to remove them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnkn0wIHEQU
Thats the more advanced way and assumes that you installed the SDK properly. lol. You can even do it through terminal so you don't have to use a computer. At least Titanium Backup has an interface to go with it so its a little bit more user friendly.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

My bricked i9000M finally came back from Canada! They replaced the whole board so maybe it was defective hardware. I now have two Galaxy S phones, one 8GB (i9000T) and one 16 GB (i9000M). I hope the internal SD Card doesn't destroy itself again. Probably gonna avoid any lagfix kernels and just go with the basic ROM flashes for now.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

So I just realized some kernels have network sharing built in or CIFS. If your ROMS have CIFS enabled kernels or you flashed a kernel with CIFS, check out the app called CIFS Manager in the market:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/cifsmana...er.cifsmanager

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...23#post7694823

What is it? So lets say you have a NAS or a shared folder in your network. You can run this app to virtually mount those shared folders. Everything in those folders is now accessible on your phone and you can stream movies, music, or in my case, ROMs, and play emulator games all from the shared folder! No need to transfer files to my SD Card whenever I'm at home and able to access my shared folders. Your limiting factor becomes your router and connection to the network. You can access the files anywhere in your house so long as you're connected to the network and the shared folder. I tried to stream a 720p movie but it was a laggy probably due to the cheap Wireless G router I have. I wish I spent a little more and got a Wireless N DD-WRT capable router. Oh well, maybe I'll upgrade in the near future. It worked fine for other movies and seeking was pretty instantaneous with minimal buffer.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-03-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

The Galaxy Tab sells one million units.

Samsung sells one million Galaxy Tab units (update: confirmed)
By Darren Murph posted Dec 3rd 2010 11:04AM

Wondering just how well a tablet would do if picked up and marketed by all four major carriers in America? We're still waiting for the breakdown within our borders, but there's hardly a doubt that the unprecedented carrier arrangement has helped Samsung shatter its estimates on Galaxy Tab sales. Purportedly, the outfit has just passed the one million mark in global sales of the 7-inch Android tablet, but Information Week is quick to point out that Sammy's not clear on whether that's units in the sales channel or units in the hands of consumers. Either way, one million's nothing to scoff at, particularly when you consider that only 600,000 had been sold as of November 22nd. The firm's now hoping to move 1.5 million of 'em by the year's end, and while that's still well short of the estimated seven million iPads that have been sold to date, it's a sales rate that we're sure no one at Samsung is kvetching about.

Update: CNET heard from a Samsung representative that the company hasn't officially announced the sales figure here, but hopefully we'll get some clarification soon. It's possible that the PR team simply isn't ready to dish out the number in official fashion yet. We'll keep you posted.

Update II: So, it's just what we expected -- the numbers are real, but Samsung wasn't quite ready to come clean with 'em. According to Kim Titus, Director of Public Relations for Samsung Mobile, the company has "sold one million Galaxy Tabs globally." Good on 'em!
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/03/s...an-android-pa/

So much for people not wanting anything smaller than 10" lol. Pretty impressive considering they only have the 3G version out there so its the more expensive version. I still haven't gotten a chance to play with one but I wish the WiFi version only was out already. Then they'd probably be selling even more.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Hey how do I know if I installed JAC's kernel correctly? Because my kernel version didn't change after I applied JAC's kernel through odin.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

Hey how do I know if I installed JAC's kernel correctly? Because my kernel version didn't change after I applied JAC's kernel through odin.
It should tell you which kernel you're using when you hit the Menu --> Settings --> About phone. The version should match whatever it is you flashed but sometimes some kernels don't change the numbers. The best way to know for sure is to be able to use the features the kernel promises it says it'll do like overclocking/underclocking, etc. depending on what kernel you flashed. You have a link to the kernel?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Safety Car

The new Adobe flash update from the other has made Flash performance a little bit better. Hulu vids are playing a lot smoother than previously and so is scrolling on webpages with Flash.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:33 AM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=791478

But I actually do not recommend that kernel on JI6 because that was the kernel that caused me so much headache. I kept semi-bricking my phone with that kernel. Instead, there is another version of the exact same kernel in the link but it's a modified one. I forgot where I got it from but it was from the same creator.

Well it actually is there because I am able to OC to 1.2ghz. It really improved my battery life significantly. Used it every hour today for quick updates and has not hit 50% yet.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 12-04-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Safety Car

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=791478

But I actually do not recommend that kernel on JI6 because that was the kernel that caused me so much headache. I kept semi-bricking my phone with that kernel. Instead, there is another version of the exact same kernel in the link but it's a modified one. I forgot where I got it from but it was from the same creator.

Well it actually is there because I am able to OC to 1.2ghz. It really improved my battery life significantly. Used it every hour today for quick updates and has not hit 50% yet.
Oh okay. Yeah the international versions use different kernels. All have the same idea though. If you're able to OC then I think the kernel installed just fine. You wouldn't be able to get those values with the stock kernel.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Lol. Lady At the baseball field had a Tab and used for 2 hrs doing something. She saw me with my phone surfin and came and sat rite behind me. I guess she wanted to see what I had since my protector makes it hard to tell...
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
u know we were wondering if the smaller units would sell...Numbers don't lie.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 AM

Ok. I can't take it any more. No more modding ROMS or Kernels. Only root. Been having waaay too many problems. It's not the phone, it's probably mainly me rushing things. But I think I've totaled up about 15 hours trying to make my phone perfect. I had some MAD battery drain yesterday after a new kernel and OC cpu using conservative scaling. So I did another stock flash and just gonna leave it at that. Again, the phone is great and the OS is awesome. So no complaints there.

By the way, is there an app that replaces the battery with a percentage? I've tried so many battery status/indicator apps but they only show the percentage on the notification bar, which I'm not fond of. I rather it replace the battery icon with a percentage instead.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I got the unofficial official version of Froyo on my Epic today. Everything works great, very fast and smooth except the f****ing GPS doesn't work now. I have to flash back to DI18, flash the Dk28 modem, get a GPS lock, get into clockwork and then flash froyo and supposedly it'll fix it. Annoying, but other then that I'm really happy with it, the new UI stuff is nice and it feels snappy.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Ok. I can't take it any more. No more modding ROMS or Kernels. Only root. Been having waaay too many problems. It's not the phone, it's probably mainly me rushing things. But I think I've totaled up about 15 hours trying to make my phone perfect. I had some MAD battery drain yesterday after a new kernel and OC cpu using conservative scaling. So I did another stock flash and just gonna leave it at that. Again, the phone is great and the OS is awesome. So no complaints there.
Have you tried recalibrating your battery after a kernel reflash? It sometimes happens that your battery meter gets messed up whenever you flash a new ROM/kernel. Many ways to do it but it greatly helps:

1. Charge phone to full
2. Drain it as much as you can, up to the point its about to turn off
3. Do NOT plug it into any charge sources during above, USB or adapter
4. Once it reaches around 5% or lower, recharge it to full until you get the 100% battery fully charged
5. Don't unplug the charger yet
6. If you have Clockwork Recovery, reboot into it and under the advanced CWM --> Wipe battery stats
7. If you don't have Clockwork Recovery, use Root Explorer or any file explorer and navigate to /data/system/batterystats.bin and delete it manually
8. Reboot the phone while its still plugged in
9. When the fully charged message comes again, unplug the phone from a charge source and use the phone normally
10. The battery should now be recalibrated

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph..._recalibration

I do this every now and then after flashing a new ROM/kernel. The best way to flash a new ROM is to wipe everything (this includes battery stats). Of course, this is time consuming when testing new ROMs but it seems to be the only way to experience a ROM bug free.

By the way, is there an app that replaces the battery with a percentage? I've tried so many battery status/indicator apps but they only show the percentage on the notification bar, which I'm not fond of. I rather it replace the battery icon with a percentage instead.
Look in the themes section on how to do it yourself or flash ones that are premade. Here's one made for JI6 ROMs:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=784867

And here's how it looks like:

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zguy95135
I got the unofficial official version of Froyo on my Epic today. Everything works great, very fast and smooth except the f****ing GPS doesn't work now. I have to flash back to DI18, flash the Dk28 modem, get a GPS lock, get into clockwork and then flash froyo and supposedly it'll fix it. Annoying, but other then that I'm really happy with it, the new UI stuff is nice and it feels snappy.
Have you tried the temp fixes from xda?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858936
Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Gingerbread is out. Nexus S coming soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Gingerbread is out. Nexus S coming soon.

Video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxUXu...ayer_embedded#

Nexus S available Dec. 16 at Best Buy, Dec. 20 at Carphone Warehouse
Posted on Monday, Dec 6, 2010 by Phil Nickinson

The Samsung Nexus S will be available on T-Mobile USA starting Dec. 16. In the UK, you can get it at Carphone warehouse starting Dec. 20. Pricing still has not been announced.

Samsung's full press release is after the break.

SAMSUNG AND GOOGLE TO DELIVER NEXUS S, THE FIRST MOBILE PHONE IN THE WORLD POWERED BY ANDROID 2.3

Nexus S offers the latest version of the Android platform, Gingerbread, 4” Super AMOLED touch screen with curved design, Near Field Communication (NFC), front and rear-facing cameras and 1GHz application processor

SEOUL, Korea, and DALLAS, US December 6, 2010 — Samsung Electronics, a leading mobile phone provider and the No. 1 mobile phone provider1 in the U.S., and Google™ today announced Nexus S™, the world’s first handset to feature the latest version of Google’s Android™ platform. Powered by Android 2.3, Samsung and Google have packed Nexus S with powerful technology and the latest in hardware features.

JK Shin, President and Head of Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics, said, “Samsung and Google have worked together closely to deliver the best Android smart phone experience for consumers. It has been our ambition in working with Google to continue to push the Android platform forward and create a smart phone that has both superior functionality and a stunning user-experience. It is extremely satisfying to see this partnership again bear tremendous fruit.”

“Samsung was thrilled to work with Google to create the first device featuring the much anticipated Android 2.3 OS. Nexus S is powerful proof of Samsung and Google’s commitment to bringing technology firsts to market and launching products that utilize the open and innovative Android operating system,” said Omar Khan, chief strategy officer of Samsung Telecommunications America. “Nexus S integrates Samsung’s best-in-class hardware and technology with the exciting new features and upgrades of Android 2.3 Gingerbread to give consumers a breakthrough smartphone experience.”

"Google is excited to co-develop Nexus S with Samsung, ensuring solid integration of hardware and software to deliver the lead device for the latest version of Android, Gingerbread," said Andy Rubin, Vice President of Engineering at Google.

Nexus S is designed with Samsung’s brilliant Super AMOLED touch screen technology providing a premium viewing experience. The 4-inch Contour Display features a curved design for a more ergonomic style and feel when held to the user’s face. Nexus S also features Near Field Communication (NFC) technology which allows you to read information off of everyday objects like stickers and posters that are embedded with NFC chips. Powered by a 1 GHz Samsung application processor, Nexus S produces rich 3D graphics, faster upload and download times and supports HD-like multimedia content.

Nexus S is equipped with a 5 megapixel rear facing camera and camcorder, as well as a VGA front facing camera. In addition, Nexus S features a gyroscope sensor to provide a smooth, fluid gaming experience when the user is tilting the device up or down or panning the phone to the left or right. Nexus S also comes with 16 GB of internal memory.

Android 2.3, Gingerbread, is the fastest version of Android yet. It features support for Near Field Communication (NFC), a new and improved keyboard with multi-touch support, Internet calling (VoIP/SIP support), and a clean new user interface. Nexus S also includes popular Android features such as portable Wi-Fi hotspot, true multitasking, access to Google mobile services such as Google Search™, Gmail™, Google Maps™ with Navigation, Voice Actions, Google Voice™ and YouTube™, and access to over 100,000 apps and widgets on Android Market™.

Nexus S can be purchased (unlocked) online and in-store from Best Buy retailers in the U.S. starting after December 16 and at Carphone Warehouse retailers in the U.K. after December 20.
Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...hone-warehouse

I hope its not too different from the Galaxy S line, hardware wise, so we can get a Vanilla Android.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Update: Best Buy has announced pricing:

Customers can purchase Nexus S for $529 as an unlocked phone without a contract. Nexus S optimized for T-Mobile’s network is available for $199 with a two-year service agreement and qualifying voice and data plan.

SAMSUNG AND GOOGLE TO DELIVER NEXUS S, THE FIRST MOBILE PHONE IN THE WORLD POWERED BY ANDROID 2.3
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Its Gingerbread and Nexus S overload day. SDK for Gingerbread is released as well:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3.html

Better link:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3pd...layer_embedded

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-06-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Nexus One owners are already getting Gingerbread now! How sometimes I wish I picked one up:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/a...us-one-owners/
Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Nexus One owners are already getting Gingerbread now! How sometimes I wish I picked one up:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/a...us-one-owners/
Looks like Engadget jumped the gun. Nexus One owners aren't getting the update yet.

The Nexus S is going to use the same 16 GB iNAND as the iPhone. BUT it doesn't have an expandable SD Card. Not sure why Samsung got rid of the external SD. Maybe its to keep the phone as thin as possible?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Is the Nexus S going to come out for Verizon??
Old 12-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Nothing solid yet about it coming to Verizon. Only to T-Mobile so far and Europe unlocked.

Playing with the Android 2.3 in the emulator:

If you have the SDK installed its very easy to run it and you can even install apps to it to play with it. Its not smooth fast but you can see the new interface like the black notification bar by default and the new battery icons.

http://androidandme.com/2010/12/news...-the-emulator/

The instructions are showing Android 2.0 but just select Android 2.3 and everything else is the same steps.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

Oh yeah, if you update to the latest SDK, ADB moved to a different folder. Its no longer in the "tools" folder. Its now in "platform-tools" so if you have the environment path directed to the tools folder it won't find it. Gotta redirect the path to platform-tools. Haven't really noticed too much difference in the emulator other than some icon changes and the notification bar. Guess we'll have to wait til the ROM dumps from the Nexus S get released. Hopefully sometime soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM

I think I'm gonna return my Vibrant and go for the Nexus S just because of the 2.3 and true Android interface instead of touchwiz.

Other than that it is pretty similar to the Galaxy S phones
Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

You should do it. The only negative I see so far is the lack of external SD Card which isn't a big deal if you don't store that much on your phone in the first place. Besides that, they probably fixed the GPS and it has a front facing camera, something lacking in all the US variants.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Crap. I called Costco today and they didn't receive any news of getting the Nexus S, which is where I upgraded my phone from. They told me they didn't even carry the Nexus One.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
I heard the Nexus S doesnt support HSPA+ nor does it have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Can anyone confirm?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I heard the Nexus S doesnt support HSPA+ nor does it have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Can anyone confirm?
http://www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-s

It will have both. Just missing the external micro SD.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

TechCrunch already reviewed the unit:

The bottom line is this. If you are an iPhone user this isn’t going to make you switch. If you’re an Android user you will want this phone more than any other. If you’re currently neither, we recommend that you go with the Nexus S. It is better than the iPhone in most ways. What you lose with the slightly less impressive screen and iOS’s slightly slicker user experience you will more than make up for with the Nexus S’s ability to actually make phone calls that don’t drop and Google’s exceptional Navigation and voice input applications. The fact that the phone is unlocked and can be used abroad with other carriers is also a very big plus.
Source: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/06/google-nexus-s-review/
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Crap. I called Costco today and they didn't receive any news of getting the Nexus S, which is where I upgraded my phone from. They told me they didn't even carry the Nexus One.
Doesn't T-Mobile have a 30 day phone trial thing? (It could be 14 days. I forget which.) Might wanna inquire with them and see what they can do. You just pay for the service for that time period.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Here are some comparisons for reference:

http://www.google.com/phone/compare/...ne=t-mobile-g2
Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

The recent Froyo leak for the Epic 4G isn't final:

Sprint is working on a software package for the Samsung Epic4G that will upgrade it to the Froyo version of Android. Over the weekend, some users were able to access and download a test build (DK28) for the Samsung Epic from some 3rd party developer sites. Unfortunately, this is not approved software for Sprint production devices and we strongly recommend that users refrain from loading it.

Software version DI18 is the current production version of software. When new versions of software are available, users will receive a notification from Google on their device stating that an upgrade is available for download and installation. While we are unable to communicate a firm delivery date, rest assured that we are working on a software upgrade to Froyo and hope to have it out in the very near future
Source: http://blogs.computerworld.com/17481..._epic_4g_froyo
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Doesn't T-Mobile have a 30 day phone trial thing? (It could be 14 days. I forget which.) Might wanna inquire with them and see what they can do. You just pay for the service for that time period.
It's 30 days. But I'm juggling between the two right now after much research....

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread