Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Well said.

Spam bot?
Yes.

Banned and post deleted.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
Yes.

Banned and post deleted.
Thanks bro!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
TechCrunch playing with the 42-inch Nexus S:

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?height=354&embedCode=h4cDR4MTqbmGlbNy9Z8 Yiz8FkfSmAHiU&deepLinkEmbedCode=h4cDR4MTqbmGlbNy9Z 8Yiz8FkfSmAHiU&width=630"></script>

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/23/giant-nexus-s/
Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Safety Car

SPB is accepting beta testers for their shell UI. Link to sign up:

http://www.spb.com/beta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNO7lL7g6pc
Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
SPB is accepting beta testers for their shell UI. Link to sign up:
I really should sign up.... that's a crazy sick UI!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Thats a really cool UI. I wonder how much processing power it requires to run smoothly though (I didnt watch the entire video so I dont know if it was discussed).
Old 12-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres a new Kernel available already for the Nexus S and people are scoring 2300-2500 in quadrant

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=876132

Im in the process of rooting and flashing it.

I'm getting those scores on my rooted Droid2 with a custom kernel!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Nice! I know those scores arent spectacular for the NS, but I came from a Slide that was getting 1100s.

CM7 was released in, I guess you can call it, a very beta state for the NS. I didnt flash it though. Theres a few things that still dont work.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Thats a really cool UI. I wonder how much processing power it requires to run smoothly though (I didnt watch the entire video so I dont know if it was discussed).
I watched the whole vid and they dodged that question man... not on purpose....lol

It is really seems powerful so I also wonder how much battery power it would drain...
Old 12-27-2010, 01:33 PM

TechCrunch playing with the 42-inch Nexus S:
...was that huge thing running ginger bread? LOL
Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
found out my HTC hero for sprint isn't compatible with HFL in my 08 tl-s.....suck!!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Never been to the android section, but that may change soon. I have an Iphone 3G on t-mobile. And my dad was updating our plan to get the HPSA+ network. Since I cant have 3G on my iphone, I'm getting a new phone and exchanging one of my christmas presents for it. My dad told me I either have a choice for a Mytouch 4G or a Nexus S. Soo between those two which is best?

Cliffs:

choose between mytouch 4G and Nexus S
Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Just to update, I ended up rooting the device, I have Clockwork and Im running the above kernel.

If anyone else has the Nexus S and plans to root, this is the method I used and I was rooted in 5 minutes.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sams...esnt-work.html

I updated my SDK and that took longer then the actual root process.
I'm new here what exactly is rooting, and why is it good to do?

edit: so i was reading and is it in a way like jailbreaking an iphone?

In that case can you not update the phone anymore?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM

Rooting the phone is basically exploiting a known security flaw to gain root access. Root gives you much more control over the phone, such as overclocking and running some programs that require root access (adblock comes to mind). There are some very useful apps that require root to run.

You can root a stock rom, in which case you'll still get updates, but they may remove root. Running a modded rom from one of the many developers usually has the latest and greatest functions built in, not to mention you'll generally get the next version of Android before the carriers push it to the phones.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Rooting the phone is basically exploiting a known security flaw to gain root access. Root gives you much more control over the phone, such as overclocking and running some programs that require root access (adblock comes to mind). There are some very useful apps that require root to run.

You can root a stock rom, in which case you'll still get updates, but they may remove root. Running a modded rom from one of the many developers usually has the latest and greatest functions built in, not to mention you'll generally get the next version of Android before the carriers push it to the phones.
Thanks
did some reading up in androidcentral to gain a better understanding also.

My dad just told me he ordered the Nexus S, hope its good. Anyone have that or played with it? How is it?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
Thanks

My dad just told me he ordered the Nexus S, hope its good. Anyone have that or played with it? How is it?
It's Google's flagship phone and is pretty much the best Android phone you can buy right now. You will be privy to all the latest OS updated before anyone else. Plus the hardware is pretty impressive...hummingbird processor, great screen, ect.

Except once you get into the rooting and flashing world, that won't mean as much.

Coming from an iphone, it's flaws won't bother you. It has no LED notifications, no external storage, and doesn't do 720p recording, but that's about it.

You will most likely be a little annoyed when dual core android phones come out next year, most likely Q1, and blow all other phones out of the water, but that is the nature of the technology beast.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh, and by the way...google "xda developers" for all your rooting needs.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Ive had the Nexus S for almost 2 weeks. Ive sworn off keyboard-less phones for the longest time, but I can honestly say I dont miss my keyboard. The phone is amazing.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Never been to the android section, but that may change soon. I have an Iphone 3G on t-mobile. And my dad was updating our plan to get the HPSA+ network. Since I cant have 3G on my iphone, I'm getting a new phone and exchanging one of my christmas presents for it. My dad told me I either have a choice for a Mytouch 4G or a Nexus S. Soo between those two which is best?

Cliffs:

choose between mytouch 4G and Nexus S
nothing but good advice in here from Gibson and Civic... I am really excited about the Nexus S and of course the dual core phones... I get a new phone about every year... and I pass back the older phones to my son... I have upgrades available on two lines right now... :yummy: ....Cannot wait to see what's next from Sprint...
Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 PM

...and BTW Speed, welcome to da android world! That S is gonna be
Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

Download NoLED if you really need a missed call, text, etc. Indicator.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/noled/com.led.notify

If your kernel supports it, you can also use BLN (Backlight notifier) which serves the same purpose but lights up the capacitive buttons instead of using the screen.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/bln-cont...ln.control.pro
Old 12-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Safety Car

Don't know if you guys saw this but the creator of ADW Launcher released ADW Launcher EX the other day. This version isn't free but the swipe animations look pretty sweet and looks very customizable. I still haven't gotten around to playing with it but I really wish the LauncherPro Widgets would work on it. Its the only real reason I'm sticking to LauncherPro at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAR5ggcqJjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5uT3vNp2qc

http://www.appbrain.com/app/adwlaunc...freak.launcher

Differences between ADW.Launcher and ADWLauncher EX
ADWLauncher EX is based on the ADW.Launcher opensource core with a lot of new additions and improvements, like for example:

5 different app drawer styles/behaviors
3D Nexus One like application drawer
2 different plain vertical drawer styles, the "old one" and a new fast and smooth one
2 different iPhone-like horizontal application drawers, a traditional paginated one and a new one with continuous fling
Different desktop transitions: new animations while navigating through your desktop screens. Try them all, they’re crazy!!!
New Icons configurations/look and feel: Tweak your desktop icons, change its sizes, add coloured backgrounds, change font size, color, etc!
New fast presets mode: Quickly change the whole desktop configuration by 1 click!
Editable desktop icons for applications, shortcuts and folders!
Lots of code improvements
More, more more to come!!

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-27-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
I watched the whole vid and they dodged that question man... not on purpose....lol

It is really seems powerful so I also wonder how much battery power it would drain...
SPB Shell has actually been around in other OSes so its not a new shell. Windows Mobile has had it and those phones were already slow and they ran pretty well with them. The phone they're using in the demo is an i9000 (Galaxy S international version). So as far as processing power, I don't think it'd require that much more. As far as battery drain, it'll probably contribute somewhat because of the 3D transition effects.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Thanks

Rooting isn't the same as jailbreaking in the sense that you don't really need to do it because Android is pretty open from the get go. You can install apps (.apk files) you find anywhere online, emulators, change ringtones and sms ringtones and other things restricted in the iPhone world without root. (AT&T disables the downloading and installing apps not from the market but that's easily bypassed in many ways with or without root.)

So why do people root? Main reason is to install custom ROMs which you'll find tons of in XDA. Other reasons include WiFi tethering (USB tethering can be done without root), overclocking/underclocking the phone, changing certain themes in the phone like the font, notification bar color, clock color, etc. Rooting gives you real full control of the phone meaning you can change anything you want from the boot animation, the startup and shutdown sounds, and everything if you really wanted to.

The Nexus S is the phone to get at the moment because Google is tied to it in the same way its tied to the Nexus One. It will get the updates first before the other phones so thats a big plus if you don't like to root your phone and read up at XDA. Otherwise, XDA will always be ahead of the game if you learn how to flash custom ROMs.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Honeycomb Music Player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glFiw...layer_embedded

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885535

Last edited by civicdrivr; 12-28-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 PM

WOW. suite music UI... looks like GB is just a bridge to HC!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Yep, and I cant wait for it

Honeycomb is going to be BIG.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
It's Google's flagship phone and is pretty much the best Android phone you can buy right now. You will be privy to all the latest OS updated before anyone else. Plus the hardware is pretty impressive...hummingbird processor, great screen, ect.

Except once you get into the rooting and flashing world, that won't mean as much.

Coming from an iphone, it's flaws won't bother you. It has no LED notifications, no external storage, and doesn't do 720p recording, but that's about it.

You will most likely be a little annoyed when dual core android phones come out next year, most likely Q1, and blow all other phones out of the water, but that is the nature of the technology beast.
Yup, I'm not missing much. The only thing I think I'll miss is the keyboard. Iphones keyboard is really good. Since I've had it for a while, I can sometimes look up and continue typing for a little before looking back down. I heard gingerbread's keyboard is better in someways, so thats good.

I know dual core processors are coming out into the mobile world, but seriously as soon as you buy any phone, there is another phone coming out within months that just beats it, hardware wise. What can you do though. Same goes with laptops.
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Oh, and by the way...google "xda developers" for all your rooting needs.
I'll be sure to check that out.

Ive had the Nexus S for almost 2 weeks. Ive sworn off keyboard-less phones for the longest time, but I can honestly say I dont miss my keyboard. The phone is amazing.
Can't wait

nothing but good advice in here from Gibson and Civic... I am really excited about the Nexus S and of course the dual core phones... I get a new phone about every year... and I pass back the older phones to my son... I have upgrades available on two lines right now... :yummy: ....Cannot wait to see what's next from Sprint...
haha nice, yea this is my first "real" smartphone. My iphone 3g never had any data, lol. I'm on t-mobile and we didnt have any data package. So I never got the full experience.
...and BTW Speed, welcome to da android world! That S is gonna be

Rooting isn't the same as jailbreaking in the sense that you don't really need to do it because Android is pretty open from the get go. You can install apps (.apk files) you find anywhere online, emulators, change ringtones and sms ringtones and other things restricted in the iPhone world without root. (AT&T disables the downloading and installing apps not from the market but that's easily bypassed in many ways with or without root.)

So why do people root? Main reason is to install custom ROMs which you'll find tons of in XDA. Other reasons include WiFi tethering (USB tethering can be done without root), overclocking/underclocking the phone, changing certain themes in the phone like the font, notification bar color, clock color, etc. Rooting gives you real full control of the phone meaning you can change anything you want from the boot animation, the startup and shutdown sounds, and everything if you really wanted to.

The Nexus S is the phone to get at the moment because Google is tied to it in the same way its tied to the Nexus One. It will get the updates first before the other phones so thats a big plus if you don't like to root your phone and read up at XDA. Otherwise, XDA will always be ahead of the game if you learn how to flash custom ROMs.
I see, I think I'll probably get into rooting, by jailbreaking my iphone that allowed me to customize it to a greater extent. Lets face it, apple allows no customization. Hopefully rooting wont be to hard. It seems a lot more technological than jailbreaking, just got to get the hang of it.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Man ATT hates Android. All we got is the Galaxy and the Sony and some new Moto that I didn't care for. Plus the non Eclairs that are clearing out.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 AM

haha nice, yea this is my first "real" smartphone. My iphone 3g never had any data, lol. I'm on t-mobile and we didnt have any data package. So I never got the full experience.
Wow, you really went big then!!! I got the smartkeyboard (its more like a gingerbread keyboard) on my phone which is a HUGE improvement... you can def type with one or two fingers without looking... and you can do it fast!

Originally Posted by Doom878
Man ATT hates Android. All we got is the Galaxy and the Sony and some new Moto that I didn't care for. Plus the non Eclairs that are clearing out.
They are in bed with Apple... they don't wanna go and get themselves in trouble... LOL
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM

SPB Shell has actually been around in other OSes so its not a new shell. Windows Mobile has had it and those phones were already slow and they ran pretty well with them. The phone they're using in the demo is an i9000 (Galaxy S international version). So as far as processing power, I don't think it'd require that much more. As far as battery drain, it'll probably contribute somewhat because of the 3D transition effects.
Thanks bro!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Yup, I'm not missing much. The only thing I think I'll miss is the keyboard. Iphones keyboard is really good. Since I've had it for a while, I can sometimes look up and continue typing for a little before looking back down. I heard gingerbread's keyboard is better in someways, so thats good.
Luckily, its easy to replace the keyboard with the many keyboard apps out there. I use Smart KeyboardPro and I love it because its so customizable. Some people prefer Swype, others prefer the Droid X Multitouch Keyboard and so on and so forth. You can try all of them out then choose which you like the best.

I see, I think I'll probably get into rooting, by jailbreaking my iphone that allowed me to customize it to a greater extent. Lets face it, apple allows no customization. Hopefully rooting wont be to hard. It seems a lot more technological than jailbreaking, just got to get the hang of it.
Rooting nowadays is a lot easier than it used to be. Most devices are using one form of a one-click method or an app you download or install and run and the rooting process is automated. Its a lot less technical than jailbreaking at this point. You just have to make sure its for the device you're using.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
currently using HTC TP2 here and can't decide between the TmoG2 or Nexus S...to the peeps with Nexus S, do you have any gripes with the phone? I've read in some user feedbacks and some of them had trouble with the GPS not working, I don't know if it might be just a defective phone or bugs but it was one of the main grips alot of users have. I've had Samsung phones before and I hated it, Was also wondering if they've changed through out the years.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Safety Car

Yeah it sucks ATT isn't embracing Android. Most probably to milk the iPhone sales before it goes out to other carriers. Luckily, some of the phones being sold outside of the US work on ATT bands. Just gotta deal with the warranty being honored if needed like in my case with the i9000M and its not subsidized.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 AM

EVO Shift at RS Jan 9th...

Smaller screen and missing front camera is a deal killer for me, but my wife might want one because it has a larger battery and fast processor BUT mostly for the keyboard...

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-ev...gain-sale-date
Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by coykiam
currently using HTC TP2 here and can't decide between the TmoG2 or Nexus S...to the peeps with Nexus S, do you have any gripes with the phone? I've read in some user feedbacks and some of them had trouble with the GPS not working, I don't know if it might be just a defective phone or bugs but it was one of the main grips alot of users have. I've had Samsung phones before and I hated it, Was also wondering if they've changed through out the years.
It takes about 45 seconds for me to get a lock, which is the exact same as my previous Android phones. It seems to be hit or miss on XDA as far as GPS lock-on.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Well ATT is also in bed with the new Windows Mobile. But yeah Android getting kicked to the curb.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Phones scheduled to arrive Jan 4, and I'm gonna be at school So either I'll have to find some time to drive home, its only a 30 min drive, or wait till the weekend. Damn new years if postponing it!! Lol.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Well ATT is also in bed with the new Windows Mobile. But yeah Android getting kicked to the curb.
AD should be happy to be kicked... ATT (at least where i live) has more dropped call than pigeon poop on a bridge... my sister who has ATT dropped 3 calls with me last nite...

Phones scheduled to arrive Jan 4, and I'm gonna be at school So either I'll have to find some time to drive home, its only a 30 min drive, or wait till the weekend. Damn new years if postponing it!! Lol.
LOL... thats gonna be a qwik 30 mins...or if you can wait.... you're a beast!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:44 AM
Suzuka Master

My dad is upgrading our family plan to include two data plans thats why him and I get a new phone. I chose the nexus s and he chose the mytouch4g. He's getting jealous now. Lol. He better not take mine and order me a new one and return the mytouch!

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread