Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
OK, after much thought and research, I've decided I'm going to cancel my contract and sign up again for the Nexus S. I'm only doing this because of software support from Google. I understand that a phone can have a 5ghz process, 9 gigapixel camera, 999 terabyte hard drive. But all those don't matter one bit without software. The Vibrant is great, but the software support is horrendous. I mean cmon, 2.3 rolling out and Vibrant owners have not even seen an official 2.2 release. Wtf.....

I realize that the Nexus S is pretty much exactly like the Galaxy S. CPU, GPU, memory, etc are the same. There are minor difference that doesn't make me all excited for this device. But the only thing I'm after is the software support.
devs rule and I cannot wait to see what they do with the Nexus S... as I humbly requested... please let us here know what you think and enjoy it!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
devs rule and I cannot wait to see what they do with the Nexus S... as I humbly requested... please let us here know what you think and enjoy it!!!
I have a feeling it will be exactly like any other Galaxy S phone out there running 2.2 modified ROMs. Pretty much the reviews on YouTube is what the Nexus S is all about. That's just my view of it so far. But I do see a lot of different stuff regarding 2.3 update since I've only experienced 2.1; so it will be a big difference for me in the UI.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Im currently running CM 6.1 on my Slide so the updates to 2.3 dont seem that extraordinary to me, but on Thursday Im still going to Best Buy and playing with the phone for a bit - assuming they have a working display model. If I like it, I may buy it. BB has a 30 day return policy IIRC so worst case scenario, I return it.

Im not sure I could get used to a phone with no physical keyboard but with voice recognition and Swype available, it may be livable.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

Im not sure I could get used to a phone with no physical keyboard but with voice recognition and Swype available, it may be livable.
Coming from the iPhone, I've gotten so used to the onscreen keyboard that I can type so much faster on it than a physical keyboard. Tried my friend's G2 and just can't type fast enough on it.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM

I have a feeling it will be exactly like any other Galaxy S phone out there running 2.2 modified ROMs. Pretty much the reviews on YouTube is what the Nexus S is all about. That's just my view of it so far. But I do see a lot of different stuff regarding 2.3 update since I've only experienced 2.1; so it will be a big difference for me in the UI.
I feel ya. It would be nice to have a phone that gets the updates 1st....
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Im currently running CM 6.1 on my Slide so the updates to 2.3 dont seem that extraordinary to me, but on Thursday Im still going to Best Buy and playing with the phone for a bit - assuming they have a working display model. If I like it, I may buy it. BB has a 30 day return policy IIRC so worst case scenario, I return it.

I was just like you, but the voice rec software makes it so much easier... its not perfect, but its a huge cry from the junk that was on my htc TP1 !!!!

Vilingo for the car is

..and its a beta.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM

I feel ya. It would be nice to have a phone that gets the updates 1st....
That's what scares me a bit. I have never bought anything near launch date before because I keep thinking it might be buggy since it's the "first generation." But then again, it's built off of the Galaxy S line so I THINK it should be good to go.....
Old 12-13-2010, 11:53 AM

That's what scares me a bit. I have never bought anything near launch date before because I keep thinking it might be buggy since it's the "first generation." But then again, it's built off of the Galaxy S line so I THINK it should be good to go.....
I think you will be solid mang!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts

I felt the same way upgrading from CM 5 Donut to regular Froyo. The reason you probably feel that way is because the CM Roms are so advanced. They usually integrate features from the next Google builds sometimes even better than the official builds from Google. Some stuff you'll see in Gingerbread is already in CM 6.1 now, etc. Its like Google follows CM, steals the good stuff and makes them stable. lol. Why I upgraded to the Galaxy S is because of the much better hardware and mainly the screen. Its really nice compared to a regular LCD and the touchscreen is really responsive compared to other Android phones. That fact alone sold me because I don't have to double tap to get a response.

Oh also, Cyanogen is actually thinking of getting a Nexus S. If that happens, the phone will be a beast more than it'll be now considering it'll have Google's backing and Cyanogen's. I can only imagine the stuff he can pull off with such a powerful phone and new tech.

If it really is the next "dev phone" and Google adds full support to AOSP for it like the N1, then yes.
http://twitter.com/#!/cyanogen/status/14007880743124992

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-13-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

For those scared about the touchscreen only keyboards. Try a different keyboard other than the stock keyboard because the stock Android keyboard sucks. Like I posted a couple pages back, Smart Keyboard Pro has been the best for me and I've tried a few (Better Keyboard, Swiftkey, Swype, Droid Multitouch keyboard, HTC IME). You can change the key height for people who have fat or tiny fingers, has a calibration tool, and adapts to your most used words so you can quickly pick them with the keyboard after just typing two or three letters. It also has a user dictionary where you can add words to it so it doesn't think its a mispelling. Its very customizable and I type on that keyboard so fast sometimes even better than a physical keyboard. It also has arrow keys if you enable them in the settings although Froyo on the Galaxy S and Gingerbread solved that issue with text selection. The only times when I feel its inadequate is when I'm using it one handed. That could also be due to the fact that holding a 4" screen one handed and typing one hand is kinda difficult since my hands aren't that big. Swype is good but its not good for web browsing and short text typing.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I felt the same way upgrading from CM 5 Donut to regular Froyo. The reason you probably feel that way is because the CM Roms are so advanced. They usually integrate features from the next Google builds sometimes even better than the official builds from Google. Some stuff you'll see in Gingerbread is already in CM 6.1 now, etc. Its like Google follows CM, steals the good stuff and makes them stable. lol. Why I upgraded to the Galaxy S is because of the much better hardware and mainly the screen. Its really nice compared to a regular LCD and the touchscreen is really responsive compared to other Android phones. That fact alone sold me because I don't have to double tap to get a response.

Oh also, Cyanogen is actually thinking of getting a Nexus S. If that happens, the phone will be a beast more than it'll be now considering it'll have Google's backing and Cyanogen's. I can only imagine the stuff he can pull off with such a powerful phone and new tech.

http://twitter.com/#!/cyanogen/status/14007880743124992
Just that fact alone will boast sales... that guy has the gift!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

For those scared about the touchscreen only keyboards. Try a different keyboard other than the stock keyboard because the stock Android keyboard sucks. Like I posted a couple pages back, Smart Keyboard Pro has been the best for me and I've tried a few (Better Keyboard, Swiftkey, Swype, Droid Multitouch keyboard, HTC IME). You can change the key height for people who have fat or tiny fingers, has a calibration tool, and adapts to your most used words so you can quickly pick them with the keyboard after just typing two or three letters. It also has a user dictionary where you can add words to it so it doesn't think its a mispelling. Its very customizable and I type on that keyboard so fast sometimes even better than a physical keyboard. It also has arrow keys if you enable them in the settings although Froyo on the Galaxy S and Gingerbread solved that issue with text selection. The only times when I feel its inadequate is when I'm using it one handed. That could also be due to the fact that holding a 4" screen one handed and typing one hand is kinda difficult since my hands aren't that big. Swype is good but its not good for web browsing and short text typing.
Great advice Mike,

There is even a trial version that you can use if you aren't ready to give up your bread yet...
Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Yea, Cyanogen is amazing at what he does. Ive always ran his builds even back when I had the G1. I hope he gets the Nexus, Id love to see what he can do with it.

The biggest thing for me with onscreen keyboards isnt the fact that the buttons are small (to me they really arent), its that I like to feel physical buttons so I dont need to look at the phone to know what Im typing. I hate saying this, but if I need to hammer out a text in the car I dont need to look at the phone with a physical kbb (not that I generally text in the car, the phone rarely comes out of the cup holder while Im driving). I think the voice recognition would be the best option for me.

I had Vlingo on my phone for awhile but I never used it in the car. Ive tested it out a few times and the recognition is spot on though.

I got an email recently from Best Buy regarding my BB card and they have no interest on purchases as long as they are paid off in a year (cell phones are included). So it looks like Ill be picking up a Nexus S Thursday morning
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM

I finally figured out the problem with my battery drain. I was baffled on why when I have data, data background, all apps closed and everything else off, my battery still drains like crazy. Turns out, wifi does not turn off even when the screen is off. On the iPhone, the wifi turns off about 10 seconds after the screen is off. This isn't the case with android, at least with 2.1. So this whole time I thought wifi would auto shut down after the screen is off.

So I turned off wifi and data and I only lost 6% of battery overnight. Whereas before I lost 30+ percent overnight. Ridiculous.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Safety Car

I finally figured out the problem with my battery drain. I was baffled on why when I have data, data background, all apps closed and everything else off, my battery still drains like crazy. Turns out, wifi does not turn off even when the screen is off. On the iPhone, the wifi turns off about 10 seconds after the screen is off. This isn't the case with android, at least with 2.1. So this whole time I thought wifi would auto shut down after the screen is off.

So I turned off wifi and data and I only lost 6% of battery overnight. Whereas before I lost 30+ percent overnight. Ridiculous.
You can have it turn off when the screen turns off. But using wifi saves more battery than running on 3G/data. This is because the phone doesn't have to try as hard to ping the wifi router since its closer than a cell tower. To have wifi turn off with screen off go to your Wifi settings --> Hit Menu --> Advanced --> Wifi Sleep policy --> When screen turns off. Personally I have mine to sleep never but I turn off Wifi when I'm not in range of a Wifi hotspot. The only thing I ever leave on is GPS and auto brightness when I'm out. Auto sync, bluetooth, wifi are all off unless needed or I'm plugged in to a plug.

If you really want to save battery switch to EDGE/2G instead and that'll get you through for a while. Of course, internet speeds will be slower but if you use a widget that can help you switch between the two, it'll make your battery go a long way. But in terms of battery use no data < 2G < Wifi < 3G < 4G.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-13-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 PM

You can have it turn off when the screen turns off. But using wifi saves more battery than running on 3G. To have it turn off with screen off go to your Wifi settings --> Hit Menu --> Advanced --> Wifi Sleep policy --> When screen turns off. Personally I have mine to sleep never but I turn off Wifi when I'm not in range of a Wifi hotspot. The only thing I ever leave on is GPS and auto brightness when I'm out. Auto sync, bluetooth, wifi are all off unless needed or I'm plugged in to a plug.
Damn. I never knew there was a setting within a setting. Wtf? hahaha
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

Haha. Yeah. I learned that after using Android for a while. Now every app I use, I hit Menu or long press on something to see if some new menu pops up.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM

When my brother got his first Android phone I kept telling him to hit menu whenever he goes into something new, that way he can see how much he can customize.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Safety Car

Really useful app if you lose your phone a lot:

So I came across a really awesome and helpful app. I think its well worth the money for it. Its called PhoneLocator Pro:

http://web.me.com/rvoandev/PhoneLocator/Intro.html

Like the name of the app, it does exactly what it says it'll do. There's a free version and I'm not sure exactly what's different between the free and pro version but its probably the SIM registration part.

So my very quick review:

You can register your SIM card to the app so that it'll text you when it detects a new SIM card has been inserted into the phone. It'll send you the new SIM's phone number, Operator, Subscriber ID, call logs of who the person has been calling since they stole the phone and changed SIM cards and even the position of the phone even if GPS is off! This is all done behind the scenes so that whoever stole your phone doesn't know that this all happening until its too late for them! The process is all automated as well so you don't have to do anything to have the app send you this info other than the SIM card change. The app also doesn't have to be running to do all of this so there should be no battery drain.

Other features of the app include locating your phone even if GPS is turned off. You send a text to the phone with a keyword and it'll ping GPS and send you its location and then turn the GPS off again. If it can't pick one up, it'll send you its last stored location and/or it'll attempt to lock again after a few minutes. It got mine down to my doorstep inside my apartment all with my "crappy" GPS on my Galaxy S.

It also has the ability to maximize the volume of the phone if you put your phone on silent and are trying to locate it. You text a different keyword to the phone and it'll ring nonstop until you answer it or put in your password. The app is also password protected so no one can change your settings except you.

This app is well worth it for the price and it doesn't require a subscription like the other apps.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

^Small correction from above. It doesn't turn on GPS when its off. (I thought this was the case, I guess I was wishing otherwise. Its a privacy limitation implemented by Google. Even more reason to leave GPS on I guess all times since it doesn't drain battery unless an app is using it.) It does still get a position though, via Network triangulation but its not as accurate. And it'll attempt to do it over and over until it gets a position. You can also have it send you its position every time it reaches a certain distance from the last point for up to 10 texts each time you ping it. And finally, you can get your call logs, if you forget your phone at home and want to see who's been calling it by sending a text to it. Pretty cool stuff. Hopefully, in the future, he'll be able to implement the GPS starting up, but I guess that would be difficult without some sort of hack since its not officially supported.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You can have it turn off when the screen turns off. But using wifi saves more battery than running on 3G/data. This is because the phone doesn't have to try as hard to ping the wifi router since its closer than a cell tower. To have wifi turn off with screen off go to your Wifi settings --> Hit Menu --> Advanced --> Wifi Sleep policy --> When screen turns off. Personally I have mine to sleep never but I turn off Wifi when I'm not in range of a Wifi hotspot. The only thing I ever leave on is GPS and auto brightness when I'm out. Auto sync, bluetooth, wifi are all off unless needed or I'm plugged in to a plug.

If you really want to save battery switch to EDGE/2G instead and that'll get you through for a while. Of course, internet speeds will be slower but if you use a widget that can help you switch between the two, it'll make your battery go a long way. But in terms of battery use no data < 2G < Wifi < 3G < 4G.
The sleep policy actually works for you?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
The sleep policy actually works for you?
I just tried it and no it doesn't. But this thread can explain why:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=774507

Its been defaulted to 15 minutes with screen off so it should turn off after 15 minutes. Not sure why that is but you can change it using the directions found above. The fix above shouldn't be required in other Android phones. I know on my Ion it used to turn off immediately once the screen went off. Regardless, I like to keep mine on always when I'm near a Wifi source. I've been able to pull off more than 1 day of battery with it always on and autosync on. Trying that on 3G would be impossible especially in areas where reception is crap like where I'm located. Still the best way to save battery is to run 2G/EDGE or data off if you don't need it.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-14-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Chat and push notifications added to facebook 1.5.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Chat and push notifications added to facebook 1.5.
Big news for Android.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM

I know this is stupid. But how do I get rid of these dumb clouds everytime I open my phone. Its getting on my nerves!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
If you're using Beautiful Widgets just look in the settings, click on the weather icon on your homepa, once the weather pops up hit the menu button and click configure. Go to Advanced and then "unlock animations".
Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by zguy95135
If you're using Beautiful Widgets just look in the settings, click on the weather icon on your homepa, once the weather pops up hit the menu button and click configure. Go to Advanced and then "unlock animations".
thanks so much... I will try that...driving me mad!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 AM

What is the easiest way to find out if you have a battery leak?

I am at 10% after 17hrs and almost no use. The phone was on standby for most of the day. I sent and received no more than 15 texts today. I only had the BT a wifi on for a few min this morning right after I unplugged.

I can understand 17h with actually using the phone. I know it used to last longer than this. Maybe handcent drains the battery faster? I was on EDGE for most of the day, except for a couple hours where there was 3G coverage.

Phone's a T-Mo G2 that is about 2 months old. Shouldn't it last longer than that, or am I worried about nothing?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 AM

I had this same issue. Are you on 2.1? My phone was on standby for 24 hours and was still at 60%. This is due to me flashing to a 2.2 custom rom. In this rom, I am able to toggle 3G/EDGE on and off. After having only data off, with wifi and bt on, my battery drain was VERY minimal.

So if you can toggle off your 3G/EDGE when not in use, it will significantly increase battery life.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 AM

Nexus S is out tomorrow. I heard that only those who signs a NEW contract will get the 200 pricing while the upgraders are getting the 250 pricing. If so that sucks cause that comes down to 300 after tax. I paid 100 bucks for the vibrant so that's a huge difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM

^ IIRC the $50 is for people who add a line. If you are starting a new contract or renewing yours you get the $200 price.

The Best Buy I went to didnt even know the phone was releasing today. They had no demos out. But they have a 30 day return policy so I decided to buy it anyway

I havent played with it yet and I have a meeting at 9am, so Ill let you guys know how it is later.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just looking at your screenshot, one thing I can tell you to do is kill the task killer app. Get rid of the notification area icon and always shut it down after you open it. Do not leave it running.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 AM

thanks so much... I will try that...driving me mad!
I actually had to delete one of the widgets who had a mind of its own!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM

^ IIRC the $50 is for people who add a line. If you are starting a new contract or renewing yours you get the $200 price.

The Best Buy I went to didnt even know the phone was releasing today. They had no demos out. But they have a 30 day return policy so I decided to buy it anyway

I havent played with it yet and I have a meeting at 9am, so Ill let you guys know how it is later.
Nexus S in da houz! Sweetness! I look forward to the handson 411.

Originally Posted by rza49311
Just looking at your screenshot, one thing I can tell you to do is kill the task killer app. Get rid of the notification area icon and always shut it down after you open it. Do not leave it running.
This. For shure.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM

"This is madness!"
Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts

jealous!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM

I had this same issue. Are you on 2.1? My phone was on standby for 24 hours and was still at 60%. This is due to me flashing to a 2.2 custom rom. In this rom, I am able to toggle 3G/EDGE on and off. After having only data off, with wifi and bt on, my battery drain was VERY minimal.

So if you can toggle off your 3G/EDGE when not in use, it will significantly increase battery life.
I'm running 2.2. I can set it use 2G only. I will test that tomorrow after I test today's theory.

Originally Posted by rza49311

Today I am trying that, and I uninstalled lookout mobile security as well. It's been 5.5 hours since unplugged and I'm at 91%
Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...6_000946-1.png

I am at 10% after 17hrs and almost no use. The phone was on standby for most of the day. I sent and received no more than 15 texts today. I only had the BT a wifi on for a few min this morning right after I unplugged.

I can understand 17h with actually using the phone. I know it used to last longer than this. Maybe handcent drains the battery faster? I was on EDGE for most of the day, except for a couple hours where there was 3G coverage.

Phone's a T-Mo G2 that is about 2 months old. Shouldn't it last longer than that, or am I worried about nothing?
Download Spare Parts from the market. It has a more detailed battery log. Also, if you have AutoSync on, that'll drain the most battery because its always pinging gmail and your accounts for updates. Everything is else is secondary in terms of battery use. Also that task killer is probably doing more harm than good. Its probably contributing to the battery drain as well. Try using your phone without it.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...216_083055.jpg

Looks so nice. Let us know how it is. I'm still following up on the changes with the devs on XDA. They're saying it may have a weaker GPU (PowerVR SGX535) than the current Galaxy S (PowerVR SGX540)? Not sure why Samsung would downgrade although they did downgrade the Bluetooth to 2.1 instead of 3.0 found in the Galaxy S.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

I know this is stupid. But how do I get rid of these dumb clouds everytime I open my phone. Its getting on my nerves!
Remove, then readd the weather widget. It'll ask in the settings whether or not you want the "full screen animations" after inputting your city.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread