Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Anybody running Firefox Beta for mobile? I just installed this last night.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/beta/

Not the fastest at rendering pages, but the interface is decent. The scrolling and pinch to zoom are very responsive. Should be a good browser if they can make it render pages better.
cool... tried to grab it a while back, but it wasn't ready to fly... will have at it... thanks for the info!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Firefox browser sucks. Even on wifi it's slow as shit.

yall are killing me... LOL
Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
HTC is about to release a new phone called the HTC Merge:

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-merg...site-20101118/

It was supposed to come out earlier but rumor is, they delayed the launch to add LTE to it. They accidentally published the phone on the Verizon website so it probably means its about to be released in the market. The only downside I see on the phone is the Bing integration but I'm sure that could be replaced with root.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2010/1...o-lte-upgrade/
looks like a sweet rig!

... Please look at the second link's pic,because the pic on the 1st link make the unit and its keyboard look alil cheezy, which it is not... it has a pretty sweet looking surface and keyboard...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
going to se asia after xmas and downloaded trippo mondo as a translator. mapdroyd and navdroyd for navigation and maps. all 3 apps don't need data service so you don't have to worry about data usage overseas. don't forget to download maps for mapdroyd wherever you're going before you leave your service area.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
I am happy with dolphin browser. Do I have to be rooted to use the MIREN browser?

I just wish I could find a mobile browser that didn't have to reload the page when you click 'back'.
^I use Opera Beta for android and love it! Much better than the stock browser in terms of rendering stuff and as well it's a lot smoother. I finally got rid of my Tilt 2 (POS) and got a Captivate! It's in the market and doesn't require rooting your device!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
looks like a sweet rig!

... Please look at the second link's pic,because the pic on the 1st link make the unit and its keyboard look alil cheezy, which it is not... it has a pretty sweet looking surface and keyboard...

Looks like a CDMA version of the G2. I like my G2 and bought it because I wanted a slide out QWERTY, but honestly, I almost never use the slide out keyboard. I am kicking myself for not holding out for the mytouch 4G, but I despised my WinMo HD2 and needed to jump ship as quickly as possible.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
I am happy with dolphin browser. Do I have to be rooted to use the MIREN browser?

I just wish I could find a mobile browser that didn't have to reload the page when you click 'back'.
Nope. Just download the apk to your sdcard and install with a file explorer.

I'm really liking MIREN a lot. The reason your pages are reloading is probably due to your phone not having enough RAM. Which phone do you have again? If your phone has enough RAM, the page should stay loaded at all times. Even when you hit Home, etc.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-19-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Here's a Doom and Hamster wheel clock Live Wallpaper:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XWYs5DDLTbs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XWYs5DDLTbs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Looking forward to the final Hamster Wheel Clock wallpaper with their planned animations.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,464 Likes on 4,982 Posts
I like the clock wallpaper.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 PM

Nope. Just download the apk to your sdcard and install with a file explorer.

I'm really liking MIREN a lot. The reason your pages are reloading is probably due to your phone not having enough RAM. Which phone do you have again? If your phone has enough RAM, the page should stay loaded at all times. Even when you hit Home, etc.
I have a G2. Posting this from miren. Pretty good browser...lil laggy when typing tho.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

I have a G2. Posting this from miren. Pretty good browser...lil laggy when typing tho.
Hmm...the G2 should have enough RAM to hold the pages in place without reloading. Not sure whats going on. I'm using a different keyboard so I'm not experiencing laggage when typing.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I like the clock wallpaper.
Here's the XDA page for the wallpaper:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=819988
Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Timester is available on the market. Just downloaded it.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Samsung S2 firmware just got leaked:

I’ll be the first to admit the Samsung Galaxy S is doing a lot better than I thought it would. I wasn’t completely sold on the phone back when I reviewed it over the summer, but sure enough Samsung’s marketing and distribution efforts are paying off. In any case, Samsung has deemed it worthy of a successor. That successor’s firmware has supposedly just leaked and XDA is already digging deep into it. Nothing has been extracted just yet, and there is even a chance that this is actually the Nexus S firmware. While we await the cracking of the code and more info, let’s take a stroll down memory lane to a batch of rumored specs that have resurrected from the dead and started making the rounds about the internet this Friday afternoon.

Rumors surrounding the Galaxy S2 have grown pretty outlandish in terms of pure freakish power, but we will take the bait and get a little Android daydreaming in this Friday afternoon.

If you take the word floating around the interwebz, the Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9200) will feature a screen that might put the original S’s impressive Super AMOLED to shame. It’s the same technology, but now sized at 4.3-inches and featuring a pixel density of right around 340ppi. The full resolution would be 1280×720. That would give even Apple’s retina display a run for it’s money, but the S2 wonders won’t stop there, according to the same rumors. We could be looking at a 2GHz processor, but we are more inclined to fall into the camp that believes most rumored 2GHz processors for smartphones might just be misconstrued 1GHz dual-core chips.

If this all pans out we would see 1GB of RAM, 4GB of ROM, 32GB of built-in memory, an 8MP camera with HD camcorder (and with that chipset and display it might be full 1080p), and the upcoming Android Gingerbread (or would it be Honeycomb by then?).

The one thing that makes us question the veracity of these claims is that it is rumored to get a launch early next year. Pretty soon, considering the Galaxy S just came out this past summer. Then again, they could announce it early and launch it next summer, keeping with an iPhone-like update schedule (and we all know how much Samsung loves to cop on Apple). We await more info to be gleaned from this supposed firmware…
Source: http://phandroid.com/2010/11/19/sams...cessor-rumors/
Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Safety Car

Motorola Droid Pro (looks like a Blackberry):

Motorola Droid Pro Unboxing and Early Review
November 19th, 2010 by The Droid Guy

Before Android my personal smartphone of choice was always by RIM/Blackberry, I became accustomed to Blackberries qwerty keyboard, quick adds to dictionary, typing with my thumbs and typing with just one thumb. The problem was Blackberry couldn’t (and in my opinion still can’t) do much more than Email, Texts and view documents. That’s one of the reason I love Android so much.

Fast forward to the summer of 2010 and the first inclings of the Motorola Charm, YES! A blackberry esque Android device. Well while we wouldn’t totally bash any Android device it wasn’t the Blackberry killer we were looking for.

However… The Motorola Droid Pro is. Yes! And it is quickly becoming thedroidguy’s go-to phone (at least for right now).

The Droid Pro combines Business with Android. It features Android 2.2 and all of it’s goodness. One of the greatest features about Android 2.2 is how it remembers your apps, once I started the Droid Pro up and logged into my google account my apps just started popping up. FANTASTIC!

Android 2.2 also gives you wifi tethering, although the past few Android phones on Verizon have also had wifi tethering dating back to the Droid X and Android 2.1

The press release says that the Droid Pro features a keyboard designed for speed and convenience. I had the opportunity last night at Pepcom to try the Blackberry Torch’s keyboard right next to the Droid Pro and it definitely has speed and convenience down pat.

One of my personal favorites about the Droid Pro is it brought Google back. Bing really brings an Android device down in my opinion simply because as an Android and Google enthusiast it’s what I’m used to. It’s our theory based on facts presented to us and given to you that only Motorola “Droid” branded Android devices will feature Google as the default search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmLBM...layer_embedded

Android 2.2 combined with the Droid Pro’s 1Ghz processor makes navigating between apps, home screens and phone calls a breeze and fast. The Droid Pro is also a “World” phone and comes with a pre-installed sim card branded Verizon/Vodaphone. In the box you will find a special phone number to call to set up global services on your Droid Pro. This is perfect for covering events in Europe and Asia. Also for the worldly business traveler, Motorola has thrown in the power adapters for Europe and Asia along with a travel power adapter with a really long cord.

Keeping business in mind the Droid Pro comes with extra layers of secutiry and encryption (available in early 2011) It’s also the first Android device to offer the ability to wipe the phones internal memory and sd card remotely. The Droid Pro features remote password management as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz7G5...layer_embedded

To date we’ve been really impressed with the Original Motorola Droid, Droid X and now the Droid Pro!
Source: http://thedroidguy.com/2010/11/motor...-early-review/
Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got swype reinstalled
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,464 Likes on 4,982 Posts
I love Swype.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is swype available somewhere?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bkinva
is swype available somewhere?
XDA or google. Which Android do you have? They used to have a beta sign up but its been closed for a while now.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

So I finally got to flashing a Froyo build on my i9000T. Bell is being slow in releasing their official Froyo build through KIES but XDA got a hold of an "official" build and created an update.zip file which I was able to flash through ClockworkMod. This method seems safer than the way I bricked my i9000M because it doesn't use ODIN to flash which I think is causing the majority of Bell Vibrants to corrupt their internal SD Cards because of the wrong PIT file. No one knows for sure yet but I'm definitely avoiding ODIN unless I really have to use it. lol.

The Froyo build seems faster than the Eclair build I was running prior. Not sure if XDA tweaked it or not but I also have a little more free RAM than my Eclair build. Its pretty much a stock build and everything seems to work fine. I'm only having issues with LauncherPro hanging at startup but when I kill it and let it reload, it works perfectly until I have to reboot the phone again. Not sure what's causing it but luckily I rarely reboot my phone so its not a big deal.

My i9000M also just got repaired and I'm just waiting for the guy to ship it back to me. Gonna be giving my i9000T to my gf so she can replace her 3GS. Her phone freezes randomly when we talk on the phone and she's ready to toss it out. lol.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

So after some more reading about the ROM I'm using it looks like it is using a modified kernel made from Hardcore. But I didn't turn on the tweaks until now and now the phone just flies. The phone is very fast even without the lagfix yet. They also added the backlight tweak so whenever I receive a text or missed call, the backlight stays lit since the phone doesn't have an LED indicator for such things. Very nice touch.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So after some more reading about the ROM I'm using it looks like it is using a modified kernel made from Hardcore. But I didn't turn on the tweaks until now and now the phone just flies. The phone is very fast even without the lagfix yet. They also added the backlight tweak so whenever I receive a text or missed call, the backlight stays lit since the phone doesn't have an LED indicator for such things. Very nice touch.
The backlight meaning the screen?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
There's a 2800mah battery + cover out for the Epic 4G now LINK

http://forum.androidcentral.com/440787-post1.html

It looks pretty chunky but it should last a lot longer, and it seems the battery hump is in a spot where it wouldn't be uncomfortable to hold.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
The backlight meaning the screen?
Backlight meaning the capacitive touch buttons. The phone's kernel has to be made to use the app though so you can't just install the app and expect it to work:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=813389

There is another app available that does small notification icons that go randomly on the screen and the icons are customizable:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730692
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying Froyo and Adobe Flash:

It works perfectly in streaming games and the quality is excellent. Flash isn't perfect in all sites but its streaming the games without any lag which is what I'll be using it mostly for.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 PM

+1 on the flash

Is there a screenshot app out there that doesn't require root? One that I can do with attaching to my PC.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

+1 on the flash

Is there a screenshot app out there that doesn't require root? One that I can do with attaching to my PC.
Yes. Its actually what I'm using to get the screenshots. Its included in the Android SDK. Install the SDK and then navigate to the "Tools" folder. You'll see a file called "ddms.bat". Run that file and it'll open a program with debugging tools. You can then use that app to take screenshots like I do. USB debugging must be enabled on the phone.

Better instructions:

http://www.androidcentral.com/taking...s-without-root

Oh and I just got Hulu to work perfectly! Next post will be instructions. Its so simple.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

Hulu Instructions

This only works on Android 2.2 with Adobe Flash installed and you need to have ROOT!

***As with everything, backup all your original files just in case anything goes wrong.***
- Download the modified Adobe libflashplayer.so file: http://www.mediafire.com/?p211a3zlh1n4nan
- Download the Hulu Widget Player app: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=139

1. Install Adobe Flash 10.1 from the market
2. Copy the modified "libflashplayer.so" file from above to your SD Card somewhere
3. ***Use Root Explorer or any File explorer and copy the "libflashplayer.so" to "/data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/" and overwrite the old file. (You may want to backup the original here first)
4. Install the Hulu.apk file from above
5. Use the Hulu app from above to watch the videos

AND/OR

6. Open up the stock Internet browser
7. In the URL, type: "about:debug" (without quotations) and hit Go
8. The screen won't change but now go to your Menu --> Settings of the browser and scroll down to UA Strings
9. Change it to Desktop
10. Go to Hulu.com and now you can stream videos straight from the website

You can also download Dolphin Browser HD and change the UA strings in the settings menu without needing to enter the "about:debug" part. Then you can browse Hulu.com straight from Dolphin Browser if you don't like using the stock browser.

And yes you can zoom in all the way, rotate the screen, etc. It works pretty good without lag for me.

***If for some reason it doesn't work after copying libflashplayer.so, make sure the libflashplayer.so has the correct permissions. You can check this with Root Explorer by navigating to the file, long press and hold --> permissions. Like so:

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-23-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Oh one more note. It seems that the method above requires you to overwrite the libflashplayer.so every time you reboot the phone. Otherwise, it should work fine until you reboot the phone and overwrite the libflashplayer.so again.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 PM

^ Hulu. Com for the android win! Sweet instructions Bro!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Just got the Samsung Vibrant. I swear the Android OS is SOOOOOO much better than the iPhone. Even though the iPhone's OS is beautiful and a lot slicker, the functionality of the Android OS is overwhelming me.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Just got the Samsung Vibrant. I swear the Android OS is SOOOOOO much better than the iPhone. Even though the iPhone's OS is beautiful and a lot slicker, the functionality of the Android OS is overwhelming me.
You should root it and install Froyo. lol. They still haven't announced when the official Froyo is coming but XDA has an "official" version ready for flashing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCDsAHfoVwc

That vid shows you how to root using OCLF 2.0 and install a custom ROM. Supposedly, Froyo is coming mid-December in North America but nothing's been announced officially by the carriers.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

And on that note about Froyo, I'm getting pretty good battery life so far:

Its still at 16% at the moment and I'm gonna run it as long as I can. AutoSync was on at all times with all my CyberMonday deal e-mails coming in every other hour. lol. :shakehead WiFi was on about 3/4ths of the time and Display is on 10% about 3/4ths of the time with the other time being on AutoBrightness. I also did use a Bluetooth headset while on the phone during those voicecalls.

Display took up the most because I was also watching some YouTube and Flash vids in the browser, playing a few games like the unofficial PvZ and running the SNES emulator since I figured out how to use my XBox 360 controller on my phone. I started playing some Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Its not truly "portable" because it requires a computer/laptop to work but at least I can use my controller to play my games as long as I'm around a computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04rlhOeq6d4

Mine doesn't have the lag that he has in his video. Maybe his phone couldn't handle the emulator fully as I'm able to pull off all commands perfectly with my controller.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 AM

^ Mike, that's some insane battery life, with real life use!!!!...

Ha, I cannot keep my EVO at 10% brightness ...not enough light for my bi-focals... goodness! (mine stays at about 30%)

LOL, I am not a gamer...but casn appreciate the versatility that Android is bringing right now...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM

Sweetness, I know you're already luvin it!

I have found that if there are any "dead-ends" in the Android OS, someone is working on them as we speak!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
^ Mike, that's some insane battery life, with real life use!!!!...

Ha, I cannot keep my EVO at 10% brightness ...not enough light for my bi-focals... goodness! (mine stays at about 30%)

LOL, I am not a gamer...but casn appreciate the versatility that Android is bringing right now...
Yeah its pretty impressive. I really do think I'd get much better battery life if AT&T had better signal at my place. A good portion of the time, my phone is struggling to get signal so I have to leave it at one spot in my room so it doesn't fluctuate.

10% brightness on the Galaxy phones is similar to 30% on other Android phones. Not sure why that is, but for whatever reason the lowest brightness on the Galaxy phones is still way too bright. I actually have to use an app to make it go that low. It probably has something to do with the AMOLED screen. There is another app that can go even lower than that 10% but its not practical for 24 hour usage but good for night time browsing.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Yea I really want to update to Froyo but I would rather wait for the official release. If they ever announce that Froyo will not be available for the Vibrant, then I will install the unofficial version.

Coming from the iPhone, I'm pretty much burnt out on trying to "jailbreak/mod" a phone because it's so time consuming and requires so much research to not mess up. I took one look at the XDA forum and my mind was already spinning from the amount of stuff that the Android is capable of regarding custom kernels and ROMs. iPhone definitely did not have this much custom potential so I'm gonna take it easy for a couple of months.

Rooting is definitely something I want to do because of the performance increase that I saw in some of the Quadrant benchmark scores. I would also love to overclock the processor. But just taking it easy for now...

BTW, any of you guys have the Vibrant too? Would love to know so I can share some Vibrant info and receive some info.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 11-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Can you guys recommend some useful/fun apps? I already got some from searching "Top Android Apps". But I would love some personal opinions.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Yea I really want to update to Froyo but I would rather wait for the official release. If they ever announce that Froyo will not be available for the Vibrant, then I will install the unofficial version.

Coming from the iPhone, I'm pretty much burnt out on trying to "jailbreak/mod" a phone because it's so time consuming and requires so much research to not mess up. I took one look at the XDA forum and my mind was already spinning from the amount of stuff that the Android is capable of regarding custom kernels and ROMs. iPhone definitely did not have this much custom potential so I'm gonna take it easy for a couple of months.

Rooting is definitely something I want to do because of the performance increase that I saw in some of the Quadrant benchmark scores. I would also love to overclock the processor. But just taking it easy for now...

BTW, any of you guys have the Vibrant too? Would love to know so I can share some Vibrant info and receive some info.
Can you guys recommend some useful/fun apps? I already got some from searching "Top Android Apps". But I would love some personal opinions.
Understandable. Luckily, rooting isn't really that necessary unless you plan on running custom ROMs or doing WiFi tethering. That OCLF app from the market is a pretty easy way to root the phone as shown in the video though if you do decide to do it. I have the international version of the Galaxy S. Its very similar to the Vibrant, hardware wise, besides the radio bands made for AT&T 3G.

For apps, check out www.appbrain.com for suggestions. Sync your account to it and it'll even give you suggestions based on what you have installed. Also if you read a few pages back, there's a few apps that have been suggested by myself and others on some cool apps. XDA also has a thread dedicated to just apps downloads/discussions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=530
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Ahh I did not see that thread in XDA. XDA is a freakin huge ass forum with so many subforums. I've only scourged the Vibrant subforum so I'm probably missing out on a lot of information regarding the Android.

I actually want to root mainly for the custom kernel. I read that it optimizes the CPU and can undervolt or overclock the CPU and at the same time increases battery life.

Have you read about voodoo's colofix? It's currently in the making and I would love to have the colorfix because I do agree that the Galaxy S phones have too much of a bluish tint on the display.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 11-29-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread