Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
not my friend right now... I am either sleepy or asleep or crazy busy... somewhere in there is a bricked phone waiting to happen...
Unless you root the phone you pretty much don't have to worry about bricking anything.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Well, my service provider finally is pushing down the new OS. Here we go.
are you gettin 2.2 bro?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by zguy95135
Unless you root the phone you pretty much don't have to worry about bricking anything.
I know, but I really wanna root it when I have time...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know, but I really wanna root it when I have time...
Not trying to pressure you or give you a hard time, but just so you know, rooting takes about 5 minutes.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Not trying to pressure you or give you a hard time, but just so you know, rooting takes about 5 minutes.
LOL...

But only if you know what you're doing, right?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up

I went back to xda... and I found some good instructions... will try this weekend when the kids dont have the primary laptops tied up with school work... I am using a netbook right now, but I dont think it can handle doing a root... and youre correct, it doesnt take long, but you have to be precise!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
I went back to xda... and I found some good instructions... will try this weekend when the kids dont have the primary laptops tied up with school work... I am using a netbook right now, but I dont think it can handle doing a root... and youre correct, it doesnt take long, but you have to be precise!
Yeah definitely read up on it and take it one step at a time. Just do root for now and then custom ROMs in the future. hehe. Also search YouTube for some vids on how to root. That way you can see how they do it step by step. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsoVzMadiQE

Most roots nowadays are plug and click unlike back in the day. Once you're rooted bricking shouldn't be a concern. Just make sure to back up everything important from the phone just in case.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Drifting

CGFEB, is doing the one click root enough to flash roms/kernels? Or do you have to do the permanent root for that? I found instructions to do the one click root on a Mac for my Epic but I can't find how to do a permanent one.

Can you flash Clockworkrecovery on the phone or do you have to do it while it's hooked up to the computer? I've been reading up on rooting a lot but I'm still kind of intimidated, especially since mostly everything is written for PC.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Thanks alot Mike for the vid... should be rooted this sometime this weekend!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
unrevoked rooting is the easiest thing ever. you just click away and the next thing you know, you're done. it also installs the Clockworkrecovery as well.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Drifting

ARG! This is really frustrating. I've been trying to root using this way
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777616

I have the SDK folder set up right, all the downloads in the tools folder, I figured out how to navigate to the right folder and into tools. When I go and adb push
./adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
that works but when I go to push the rest of the files it tells me I can't because "permission denied". Wtf am I doing wrong?

edit: I have to do it the hard way because I'm on Mac

Last edited by zguy95135; 11-04-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Drifting

in this thread

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sprint-epi...g-epic-4g.html

How do I run the exploit? What does he mean by
3. extract and run run.bat
*Linux users chmod +x run.sh and run it, mac users chmod +x run_mac.sh and run it.*
?

Is chmod +x run_mac.sh a command I run in the terminal? Because there's no file with that name in the exploit zip
Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

ARG! This is really frustrating. I've been trying to root using this way
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777616

I have the SDK folder set up right, all the downloads in the tools folder, I figured out how to navigate to the right folder and into tools. When I go and adb push that works but when I go to push the rest of the files it tells me I can't because "permission denied". Wtf am I doing wrong?

edit: I have to do it the hard way because I'm on Mac
Once you have that file pushed, you have to run the script which gives you a temporary root. Then you can do the rest of the files. So in summary this is what you're doing:

1. Push the temp root exploit into the data/local/tmp/ folder
2. You run the temp root exploit to give you temp root
3. Push the rest of the files
4. Change all their permissions
5. You get permanent root via a script that runs every time you start the phone.

Here's a better instruction on how to do the permanent root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...51&postcount=1

please see this link http://forum.sdx-developers.com/epic...-exploit-test/
if your having trouble: use my instructons

1. copy & run the exploit
adb push c:\downloads\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
cd /data/local/tmp
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

2. make it RW and move files
adb shell mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
adb push c:\downloads\joeykrim-root.sh /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh
adb push c:\downloads\jk-su /system/bin/jk-su
adb shell mv /system/bin/playlogo /system/bin/playlogo-orig
adb push c:\downloads\playlogo /system/bin/playlogo

3. set permission
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogo

The link you're following is skipping the run temp root exploit part that's why you're getting permission denied. The steps above should work. It also assumes you put the files in C:\Downloads folder.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-04-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Oh you will also probably lose your startup animation doing this method since its overwriting the playlogo file which is needed to display the startup animation. Just in case you freak out...
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Okay, I've been able to run the exploit (after ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin ) where it asks for a donation. It say's it will restart the adb shell and the phone remounts, then it waits for a minute and brings me back to
Macintosh:tools josephdelgadillo$
again and I have a # if I type in .adb shell.

After I mount the new folder (first part of step 2) where do I go from there? The joeykrim-root etc are in the tools part of the SDK folder not in the downloads area. I don't think Mac uses C: directories either.

Also, when in the process am I supposed to push those other files? Sorry I'm so confused.

Last edited by zguy95135; 11-04-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Safety Car

Okay, I've been able to run the exploit (after ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin ) where it asks for a donation. It say's it will restart the adb shell and the phone remounts, then it waits for a minute and brings me back to again and I have a # if I type in .adb shell.

After I mount the new folder (first part of step 2) where do I go from there? The joeykrim-root etc are in the tools part of the SDK folder not in the downloads area. I don't think Mac uses C: directories either.

Also, when in the process am I supposed to push those other files? Sorry I'm so confused.
So after you run the exploit you get the superuser permissions hence the # instead of the $ (Read Step 4 in post below). That means you can push those files to the system folders. The files can be left inside the "Tools" folder of the SDK if thats what you want. Remove the "C:\Downloads" only part of the commands I quoted if the files you downloaded are in the Tools folder of the SDK and you run ADB from there. So for example:

Instead of

adb push c:\downloads\joeykrim-root.sh /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh

Use

adb push joeykrim-root.sh /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh
Follow the directions exactly in the order I quoted. Its exactly how I summarized it.

1. Push Root exploit to data/tmp/local
2. Run Root exploit in data/tmp/local (You will get the # instead of the $ here)
3. Push all files into system folders (Mount the phone using the commands and push the files in the post I put above, take out the "C:\Downloads")
4. Change permissions using chmod
5. Done

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Here are the full instructions if you want to read them:

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/inde...2&topic=6345.0

1 - Download: (recommended to to right click and choose Save As)
http://www.joeyconway.com/epic/root/joeykrim-root.sh
http://www.joeyconway.com/epic/root/jk-su
http://www.joeyconway.com/epic/root/...ecage-arm5.bin
http://www.joeyconway.com/epic/root/playlogo

Directions:
Please follow all directions exactly. Copy/paste the commands.

2 - Commands for copying downloaded files to phone:
adb push c:\downloads\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
adb push c:\downloads\joeykrim-root.sh /sdcard/joeykrim-root.sh
adb push c:\downloads\jk-su /sdcard/jk-su
adb push c:\downloads\playlogo /sdcard/playlogo

3 - Commands for temporary root Exploit:
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
cd /data/local/tmp
exit

exit will exit out of the adb shell, and then type adb shell again. this time it should drop you to # instead of $.
if it goes back to $, run the exploit again,
cd /data/local/tmp
and exit out of adb and then adb shell again to see if its # .
if it doesnt work the first time, repeat 4-5 times. it will work!

4 - Commands for permanent root:
after you type adb shell and have # (because of the exploit just ran), type these commands:
adb shell
mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system (Samsung Intercept use this command - mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system)
cat /sdcard/joeykrim-root.sh > /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh
cat /sdcard/jk-su > /system/bin/jk-su
mv /system/bin/playlogo /system/bin/playlogo-orig (Verizon Fascinate and SHW-M110S, change this line to: mv /system/bin/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogo-orig)
cat /sdcard/playlogo > /system/bin/playlogo (Verizon Fascinate and SHW-M110S, change this line to: cat /sdcard/playlogo > /system/bin/playlogos1)
chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogo (Verizon Fascinate and SHW-M110S, change this line to: chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogos1)
chmod 755 /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh

5 - Confirming Permanent Root:
Please reboot
adb shell
su
The prompt should change from $ to #.

Congratulations, you have permanent root!

if this process, doesnt work for you, please post back. as time goes on, we will clean it up and hopefully once we have a custom recovery, it'll be easy for me to put this all into one update.zip.

Technical Details:
This method proved most reliable and efficient on the Samsung Moment, with similar Samsung architecture, through much trial and error with Android 2.1.
I compiled the su binary using Busybox and the uClibc toolchain. I also wrote all the scripts, which are text readable.

Uninstall steps:
adb shell
su
mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
rm /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh
rm /system/bin/jk-su
rm /system/bin/playlogo (Verizon Fascinate and SHW-M100S - change this line to: rm /system/bin/playlogos1)
rm /etc/passwd
rm /etc/group
mv /system/bin/playlogo-orig /system/bin/playlogo (Verizon Fascinate and SHW-M100S - change this line to: mv /system/bin/playlogo-orig /system/bin/playlogos1)
chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogo (Verizon Fascinate and SHW-M100S - change this line to: chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogos1)
mount -t rfs -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system

reboot and everything will be gone, not a single trace of ever having root!
The post I posted from xda earlier is a shortcut process but essentially the same method. I would use the XDA method as it bypasses a bunch of unnecessary steps in this method.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-04-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Safety Car

Here is one more method if you still can't use Terminal to push the files from your Mac to the phone. Using a hybrid of the two posts:

1. Copy all three files (joeykrim-root.sh, jk-su, playlogo) to your /sdcard/ folder of your phone
2. Run the exploit in data/tmp/local
3. Wait until you get the # to confirm you have temporary root
4. Run the commands in step 4 of the full instructions:

after you type adb shell and have # (because of the exploit just ran), type these commands:
adb shell
mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system (Samsung Intercept use this command - mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system)
cat /sdcard/joeykrim-root.sh > /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh
cat /sdcard/jk-su > /system/bin/jk-su
mv /system/bin/playlogo /system/bin/playlogo-orig
cat /sdcard/playlogo > /system/bin/playlogo
chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogo
chmod 755 /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh

6. Done
Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Drifting

I did everything but the root didn't stick. I think it's because the jk-su and playlogo files keep saving themselves as .txt files. I've tried entering it like in the instructions but it won't recognize it until I add .txt to the command. Even if I remove the .txt from the files in the folder it still does the same thing
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

I did everything but the root didn't stick. I think it's because the jk-su and playlogo files keep saving themselves as .txt files. I've tried entering it like in the instructions but it won't recognize it until I add .txt to the command. Even if I remove the .txt from the files in the folder it still does the same thing
Oh. Definitely have to get rid of that .txt extension. It'll mess up the whole process. See if you can download the files from your phone or have someone download them for you but that .txt has to go. Then move them to your /sdcard/ folder and run the steps like I said in the last post.

Or if you have a file explorer like Root Explorer or Astro File Manager. Copy the files with the full .txt intact and you can get rid of it. Just long press and hold on the file and rename. Remove the .txt. Run the commands.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Burning Brakes

for those who think htc keyboard sucks and are against swype, i highly suggest you flash in the multitouch keyboard from droid phones.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=753343
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by mr5parkle
for those who think htc keyboard sucks and are against swype, i highly suggest you flash in the multitouch keyboard from droid phones.

do you have any screen shots of it?

Interesting... I am using the vlingo keyboard, which is pimp cuz its a dark charcoal color and its so much better than the HTC keyboard. The HTC one kept freezing my txts box!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

i had the most typos with the oem htc keyboard. installed shapewriter b/c swype was out of beta. now i'm onto the droid keyboard which fixes my clumsy fingers when typing.

more info here:
i installed the zip on post #10
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

do you have any screen shots of it?

Interesting... I am using the vlingo keyboard, which is pimp cuz its a dark charcoal color and its so much better than the HTC keyboard. The HTC one kept freezing my txts box!!!
It looks like this:

Its nice but its text prediction is still not great. I liked HTC's text prediction better but it stalls once in a while trying to think of what you're trying to type.

Reverted back to Smart Keyboard Pro. Its text prediction is excellent and fast without stalling. It learns your most used words so you can type the first couple of letters and just select. It even has a customizable dictionary so you can add words to it. And with the latest version they finally have a Keyboard Calibration like HTC's so it can adapt to where you press keys. And it also has multitouch although the Droid X keyboard seems to handle multitouch better from my short use of the Droid X keyboard. It also has arrow keys which is awesome for the phones without the trackballs. Something I miss from my HTC Ion.

Also it comes preloaded with five skins (Android stock, HTC, iPhone, Black, White). You can also change the clicking noise and you can get more skins for free from their website. Definitely check it out as there is a trial version in the market:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/smart-ke...tkeyboardtrial

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-05-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nuP6TmvImII/TN...105_133209.png

i had the most typos with the oem htc keyboard. installed shapewriter b/c swype was out of beta. now i'm onto the droid keyboard which fixes my clumsy fingers when typing.

more info here:
i installed the zip on post #10
Wow. You can definitely tell the difference in the resolution with the LCD density change between your phone and mine. I almost forgot how blown up the Android text is in terms of resolution. Look at the keyboard letters and text box input size.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^which phone do you have? i have the evo
Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

^^^which phone do you have? i have the evo
Galaxy S using the LCD density change mod. Makes the screen so much better to look at.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1095

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Props to CGFeb for helping me all day to get my phone rooted. It's awesome btw! I'm posting this from my computer using wireless tether. I love free wifi tether, screw you Sprint . The sad thing is it seems as fast or faster then my home DSL.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Props to CGFeb for helping me all day to get my phone rooted. It's awesome btw! I'm posting this from my computer using wireless tether. I love free wifi tether, screw you Sprint . The sad thing is it seems as fast or faster then my home DSL.
Awesome.... free tether is FTW!

Mike really is The Man with these phones
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Awesome.... free tether is FTW!

Mike really is The Man with these phones
Haha. Thanks. Just trying to help with my limited knowledge of scripts and how commands work. Wish I knew more Linux, then I'd be creating my own CyanogenMod and apps. Lol. The great thing about Android is even though theres so many different phones, the core stays the same which makes it easy to apply all the different commands/mods to all the different phones.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm trying out the new 6.1.0 CyanogenMod RC3. Not buggy at all to say the least. But I can't use Chevy1's OC kernels. Tried a couple of them and the phone was acting crazy all over the place.

So, I'm using setcpu at 800mhz up/down. Anybody else trying it out?

I've also tried using Ultimate Droid New Era. I didn't like the layout and plus it didn't come with GAPPS.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

So yeah, after tinkering around with cm 6.1.0, you all should wait until the stable version is out. It is complete garbage. I went back to cm 6.0.0 for now.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 PM

...thanks for the 1st hand update on cm 6.1.0 !!!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Since I have too much time on my hands I decided to go with liquid frozen yogurt's ROM. It's pretty bad ass. He included a kernel that OC's the phone to 1100 mhz. It's stupid fast switching between programs and the home screen.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by BigLizard
So yeah, after tinkering around with cm 6.1.0, you all should wait until the stable version is out. It is complete garbage. I went back to cm 6.0.0 for now.
6.1 has been rock solid for me. Di you wipe before flashing?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I did. For rcs its a hit or miss.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:39 PM
My Garage

It's almost time to have some delicious Gingerbread
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Did you guys see that Samsung phone with 2 screens. The 2nd screen is a ticker. What can the ticker be used for other than scores and weather? Tweets, texts?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 PM

It's almost time to have some delicious Gingerbread

Originally Posted by Doom878
Did you guys see that Samsung phone with 2 screens. The 2nd screen is a ticker. What can the ticker be used for other than scores and weather? Tweets, texts?
nope... do we have a name or a link...
Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 PM
AM Flakes still Drippin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ the Samsung Continuum. Along with the above, the ticker can skip/pause/etc. music.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/s...irst-hands-on/

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread