Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
New Google Maps is out! With the offline cache and vectors for 3D buildings and tilting!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...bile-maps.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAh4y...layer_embedded
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Nexus S unboxing with ninjas:

http://www.youtube.com/ninjaunboxing2
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Remove, then readd the weather widget. It'll ask in the settings whether or not you want the "full screen animations" after inputting your city.
Thanks Mike!

After the "clouds" fiasco... I am started using weather bug... seems like it updates the best and gives the most info and gives you the current temp on the taskbar and alerts for severe weather in all of your selected cities... its pretty
Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM

New Google Maps is out! With the offline cache and vectors for 3D buildings and tilting!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...bile-maps.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAh4y...layer_embedded
WOW. I coulda used this the other day when I was walking downtown... God blessed me to get there but it was kinda crazy there for a minute.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Damnit. Im starting to like the Nexus S. Alot. Its fast, the screen is amazing.

The lack of HSPA+ doesnt effect me since I dont have it in my area, but Im still pulling ~3mbps down on regular HSPA.

The on screen keyboard is pretty nice. Im still getting used to it, but the larger screen makes it much easier to type on. Did I mention that the screen is awesome?

No dedicated camera button sucks. The lock button on the side doesnt bother me however.

Call quality is great and the speaker is louder then my Slide. The contour on the screen is very ergonomic. And the screen is amazing too.

Its a bit weird not having a rooted phone, but bootlocker was unlocked already.

EDIT- Just as I was grabbing the link for the bootloader I saw this little gem:

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...bodys-surprise

And about the built quality - its on par with my Slide. Its not quite Nexus 1 quality, but it feels solid to me. Not flimsy like some of the reviews said. The three actual buttons on the phone feel nice, unlike the Slide which creaked alot.

People also mentioned the lack of expandable memory. IMO, the 13.3gb thats available is more then enough for me. The only thing that kind of sucked was that I had to transfer all the stuff off the Slide to my computer then transfer it back. Not a big deal, just time consuming.

Ill post more as I use the phone. I hope to have a decent understanding of the battery life tomorrow. The phone came with about 50% battery and Im down to 23% using WiFi and playing with it alot.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Safety Car

Looks like you're enjoying it. Yeah, the Super AMOLED is amazing. Every time I use a regular LCD it looks so bland. I hear the Super AMOLED on the Nexus S is also slightly better than the Galaxy S due to not having the PenTile Matrix. Although, Voodoo kernels have fixed that somewhat. Still waiting for a port.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Download Spare Parts from the market. It has a more detailed battery log. Also, if you have AutoSync on, that'll drain the most battery because its always pinging gmail and your accounts for updates. Everything is else is secondary in terms of battery use. Also that task killer is probably doing more harm than good. Its probably contributing to the battery drain as well. Try using your phone without it.

Thanks for letting me know about spare parts.

Today after 19 hours unplugged, I am at 21%. I uninstalled task killer and lookout, and turned off auto sync. That seemed to help a bunch. I found the biggest drain to be the ~3 hours I was at class. At home I only get EDGE, but at class it's 3G. When I left for class the battery was at 50%, and 3 hours later when I left, it was at 25%.

It's quite bothersome to me that 3G drains the batteries so fast. It's not like this is new technology and the manufacturers haven't had a chance to make improvements. I can understand if I am actually using the phone, but while I was in class, I didn't use it at all. What's the point of having a 4G phone if I have to use 2G only so the battery can last throughout the day? /rant
Old 12-17-2010, 12:17 AM

Theres a new Kernel available already for the Nexus S and people are scoring 2300-2500 in quadrant

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=876132

Im in the process of rooting and flashing it.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Theres a new Kernel available already for the Nexus S and people are scoring 2300-2500 in quadrant

Just to update, I ended up rooting the device, I have Clockwork and Im running the above kernel.

If anyone else has the Nexus S and plans to root, this is the method I used and I was rooted in 5 minutes.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sams...esnt-work.html

I updated my SDK and that took longer then the actual root process.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Thanks for letting me know about spare parts.

Today after 19 hours unplugged, I am at 21%. I uninstalled task killer and lookout, and turned off auto sync. That seemed to help a bunch. I found the biggest drain to be the ~3 hours I was at class. At home I only get EDGE, but at class it's 3G. When I left for class the battery was at 50%, and 3 hours later when I left, it was at 25%.

It's quite bothersome to me that 3G drains the batteries so fast. It's not like this is new technology and the manufacturers haven't had a chance to make improvements. I can understand if I am actually using the phone, but while I was in class, I didn't use it at all. What's the point of having a 4G phone if I have to use 2G only so the battery can last throughout the day? /rant
Yeah 3G and even 4G are battery killers especially in areas that have very low signals because the phone has to work very hard to maintain the signal. My phone can get 3.5G but I've disabled it to conserve some battery since the speed difference between it and regular 3G aren't that far off. I usually turn off data when I know I can't use my phone like in small lectures or meetings. There are apps that can automate this for you based on a schedule, time and location like Locale although I haven't really used it:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/locale/c...yfouram.locale

Y5 battery saver I hear is pretty good too at automating in turning off Wifi based on your cell signal tower. So instead of relying on GPS to know when you want it off or on, it uses cell towers. It has pretty good reviews so it must work pretty well:

http://y5.polidea.pl/

http://www.appbrain.com/app/y5-batte.../pl.polidea.y5
Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

Yeah, the Voodoo dev, Supercurio, noticed that there was one line Google could have entered to make the ext4 partitions faster and added it into the kernel. He already notified Google and Samsung about it and they said they are looking into its safety although, he and other devs have been using that line for a while now in other Android phones and the Galaxy S phones.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Oh I had a Q about the Nexus S. Can it do 720P recording?

From what I've been reading online, it seems to be able to only do 480P. Its not a big deal for me but I just wanted to confirm it. Also, I know some devs were looking into making 720P a possibility but from what I was reading, Google and Samsung were telling them it wasn't possible because they couldn't fit the sensors into the phone without making it any fatter. They did say the same about the Nexus One and look at it now with its own 720P recording.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

For the EVO 4G owners:

http://www.androidcentral.com/wimax-...ogenmod-evo-4g

WiMax drivers are now coming to CyanogenMod! Thats pretty awesome. I'm so hoping that Cyanogen picks up a Nexus S and starts making a CM for it. The ones they have currently for the Galaxy S are still pretty buggy.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

The creator of Voodoo Kernel got Gingerbread to boot on the Galaxy S! Only a matter of time before a stable release will be built even if Samsung doesn't want to update the phones themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7oU...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFP8G...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KDIJ...layer_embedded
Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
My battery life improved drastically with the updated taskiller. Syncing with my work account still kills a lot of the battery but not much I can do about that
Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
CGFebTSX04, you might disapprove, but I've slept on it for awhile now and decided to keep my Vibrant. I know I've talked about lack of software support for the Vibrant, but the thing is, ever since I've been flashing roms, it provides me with everything that I need. Also, testing out a Gingerbread clone and watching youtube videos of the OS itself, it doesn't impress me that much.

I'm getting great results from the Axura 2.2 rom. It is everything that I always needed. I tried a gingerbread clone rom and did not like it at all so I reflashed back to Axura using Launcher Pro. I decided if I don't even use the "pure" vanilla interface, then there's really no need to get the Nexus S.

Another factor is the memory expansion. I just bought myself a Kingston Class 10 16GB MicroSD because I'm a music guy. I gotta have my music on the go and so I need that extra memory space. Plus, being able to run apps, music, and movies off of a class 10 card should be awesome.

I have no problem with the Nexus S. I just don't want to fix something that isn't broken. People say that they're getting 2000+ quadrant scores on the Nexus S. But in reality, a 1200 score vs a 2000 score isn't even significant in terms of real world use. I am not running any kind of lag fix and yet I don't experience any of the problems people are complaining about, not even problems with the GPS.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
People say that they're getting 2000+ quadrant scores on the Nexus S. But in reality, a 1200 score vs a 2000 score isn't even significant in terms of real world use. I am not running any kind of lag fix and yet I don't experience any of the problems people are complaining about, not even problems with the GPS.
I will agree that quadrant doesnt mean much. Im not having any issues with GPS though. I get a fix in about 45seconds, which is about the same as my Slide. There are people on XDA that cant get a fix. Not sure why thats happening though.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Yeah those are pretty valid reasons for not getting it. The memory card expansion is a big deal for me too. I have 32 gb myself and I find it useful for movies and ROMs I like to have on the go with me at any moment. A lot of the devs who are coming from the Nexus One had the same concerns as you did. The consensus seem to be that its the fastest android phone they used but its not the technological advancement that the nexus one brought with it. Ill probably wait for a tetra dual core android phone before making my next purchase cause the galaxy s still has the best hardware out there. Just hope XDA can keep it up to date if Samsung doesn't.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Motorola Honeycomb tease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quI2I...layer_embedded

Gotta give credit to Motorola's marketing. They're almost as good as Apple's. lol. And surprised that they went there.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
One question regarding Verizon Fascinate.

Is there any other gmail app that can be used as an alternative to the basic gmail app that's pre-installed? My gmail app is not working properly. Whenever I try to send out an email, it literally takes about 2 hours just to get it out. And I hate the fact that I can't get to the sent box.

Thank you guys
Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
One question regarding Verizon Fascinate.

Is there any other gmail app that can be used as an alternative to the basic gmail app that's pre-installed? My gmail app is not working properly. Whenever I try to send out an email, it literally takes about 2 hours just to get it out. And I hate the fact that I can't get to the sent box.

Thank you guys
You can use the standard email app for gmail.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
You can use the standard email app for gmail.
Yeah, you should just be able to add the account and then use it (gmail) or any other... I have 2 different email accounts attached there, so its a HUGE help for me...
Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
for all you evo owners suffering from crappy battery life:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=876590

so far, it's working great for me. i used to be on king's kernal but netarchy kernal is so much faster and snappier. plus, the battery life trickling trick is great. i'm getting 100% off the charger resulting in an additional 2-3 hours of battery life.

i'll probably donate the guy after i give the kernal a few days of trial.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 PM

Motorola Honeycomb tease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quI2I...layer_embedded

Gotta give credit to Motorola's marketing. They're almost as good as Apple's. lol. And surprised that they went there.

Its like a giant iPhone.
But.....its like a giant iPhone.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Well my i9000M's internal SD Card decided to crap out again. I was talking to my girlfriend's mom and then it just shut down and bam Internal SD Card is corrupted. First thing I thought was, oh crap, it just hung up on my girlfriend's mom and she probably thinks I did it purposely. Luckily, it booted back up and I was to call her back immediately and tell her my phone just hung up on her.

All my data is gone and I can't install any apps. The phone only recognizes 2 GB out of my 16 GB and I can't install any apps. It can only make phone calls now. Guess I'm just gonna have to take the i9000T back from the gf. She was playing with it the past couple of days and was about to make it her daily phone. It was just too good to be true. Weird thing is, there was nothing that indicated it was going to die like the last time. It only made it two weeks before deciding to crap out again.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 AM

Well my i9000M's internal SD Card decided to crap out again. I was talking to my girlfriend's mom and then it just shut down and bam Internal SD Card is corrupted. First thing I thought was, oh crap, it just hung up on my girlfriend's mom and she probably thinks I did it purposely. Luckily, it booted back up and I was to call her back immediately and tell her my phone just hung up on her.

All my data is gone and I can't install any apps. The phone only recognizes 2 GB out of my 16 GB and I can't install any apps. It can only make phone calls now. Guess I'm just gonna have to take the i9000T back from the gf. She was playing with it the past couple of days and was about to make it her daily phone. It was just too good to be true. Weird thing is, there was nothing that indicated it was going to die like the last time. It only made it two weeks before deciding to crap out again.
And Samsung won't honor any warranty for this?

On another note, for those with AMOLED out there, users have been experiencing burn-in where the clock is displayed on the upper right corner. This is due to the clock giving off a white color, which means the OLED is being lit like crazy and since the notification bar is mainly static, the AM/PM is always there, thus will burn-in when used extensively (ie leaving the phone on the whole night while charging). Here is the link. I know it's old, but just thought I'd brought it up for good measures.

I've been using Axura 2.2 and the clock displayed is black, so that means the OLED is either not being used or being used very little. That definitely greatly reduces burn in. Another alternative is use LauncherPro and hide the notification bar. So for those that still has the clock displayed as a white color, be careful.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=799750
Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Safety Car

Samsung won't honor it because the phone wasn't intended to be used outside of Canada and Bell's network. Samsung doesn't honor warranties outside of the country the phone was intended for use unlike other companies such as HTC, Sony, etc. I didn't know this until after the fact. I could send it back to someone in Canada again to have them turn it in for repair again and wait a couple of weeks for a turnaround but I think I won't be doing that because its too much of a hassle. People are saying that Bell is back ordered on the parts right now and some people have been waiting for a month for their phones to come back from repair. I'll just have to chalk this in the lesson learned wall and move on.

That burn in issue is new to me. Guess I'll keep an eye out for that. I hope my i9000T won't go the way of the i9000M. It's been rock solid so far so I'll be using it until the next best Android phone comes around.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 AM

Another heads up guys. I just bought a 16 GB Class 10 MicroSD card. I plugged in after taking it out of the package. I did a speed test by transferring the avatar video the the microsd only wrote at 5mb/s. I'm like no fukin way I paid 80 bucks for 5mb/s. Then I formatted the card through the phone and reboot the phone. Write speed then lowered to 3mb/s. I'm like hell na I'm returning this crap. Then I decided to do a FULL format through windows (instead of quick format). Waited for like 15 minutes for the format to finish. Now I am transferring Avatar to the card at 10mb/s.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM

anyone know about Juice Defender app?

my co-worker said the sprint peeps told her it was good... I have no idea... and yes... I am being lazy.... LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Samsung won't honor it because the phone wasn't intended to be used outside of Canada and Bell's network. Samsung doesn't honor warranties outside of the country the phone was intended for use unlike other companies such as HTC, Sony, etc. I didn't know this until after the fact. I could send it back to someone in Canada again to have them turn it in for repair again and wait a couple of weeks for a turnaround but I think I won't be doing that because its too much of a hassle. People are saying that Bell is back ordered on the parts right now and some people have been waiting for a month for their phones to come back from repair. I'll just have to chalk this in the lesson learned wall and move on.

That burn in issue is new to me. Guess I'll keep an eye out for that. I hope my i9000T won't go the way of the i9000M. It's been rock solid so far so I'll be using it until the next best Android phone comes around.
This is the sux... It seems that they would want peeps to take their phone everywhere... that way other peeps would know how sweet it was...
Old 12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
anyone know about Juice Defender app?

my co-worker said the sprint peeps told her it was good... I have no idea... and yes... I am being lazy.... LOL
Its basically a battery saving app that turns off your data and autosync every time your phone's screen turns off and turns them on at preset intervals. So you don't have to manually turn them on and off each time. I haven't tried it out myself but it should work because those two things use up a lot of battery. If your friend needs data on all the time then you won't be saving much battery with the app.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
This is the sux... It seems that they would want peeps to take their phone everywhere... that way other peeps would know how sweet it was...
Yeah, now the phone won't even turn on. Well, I guess I'll have spare parts just in case my i9000T glass breaks or whatever. I was hoping to use it to make phone calls while flashing ROMs since it was able to do it or charge the battery but I guess I can't even use it for that any more.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Hey do you guys have an app where you can stream your music from your home pc? For example on my iPhone I have an app called Jukefly. My wife likes to download tons of music so I wanted to hear some Billy Joel. Since our laptop is always on I picked my song and played in like a second via 3G. No skipping/lag issues. All free. That should help with storage issues. Plus a cloud program like Dropbox with like 2GB for us has to be on there. Sorry if this was discussed as I kind of skip through this thread with a lot of technical stuff that I'm not worried about at the moment.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Its basically a battery saving app that turns off your data and autosync every time your phone's screen turns off and turns them on at preset intervals. So you don't have to manually turn them on and off each time. I haven't tried it out myself but it should work because those two things use up a lot of battery. If your friend needs data on all the time then you won't be saving much battery with the app.

Yeah, now the phone won't even turn on. Well, I guess I'll have spare parts just in case my i9000T glass breaks or whatever. I was hoping to use it to make phone calls while flashing ROMs since it was able to do it or charge the battery but I guess I can't even use it for that any more.
Thanks Mike! I just let her know... will holler back as she works with it for alil while...

I sure hate that the phone went crazy again... might have to fight the GF for the other one back bro...LOL...my wife loves her Palm Pixi ONLY b/c she does not know the true power of da droid...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878
Hey do you guys have an app where you can stream your music from your home pc? For example on my iPhone I have an app called Jukefly. My wife likes to download tons of music so I wanted to hear some Billy Joel. Since our laptop is always on I picked my song and played in like a second via 3G. No skipping/lag issues. All free. That should help with storage issues. Plus a cloud program like Dropbox with like 2GB for us has to be on there. Sorry if this was discussed as I kind of skip through this thread with a lot of technical stuff that I'm not worried about at the moment.
That sounds really cool, but I bet Mike is the one to ask... I dont really have much music on my laptop since it crashed a couple years ago...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
I haven't tried using any app that does these yet but Jukefly is also available for Android

http://www.appbrain.com/app/jukefly/com.jukefly

Audiogalaxy is another app I've been hearing good things about and it has better reviews than Jukefly. I would try this first. As far as Dropbox support I'm not sure.

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/music-by...om.audiogalaxy

mSpot is another.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/music/co...t.android.aria

If your Android phone has a custom kernel with CIFS/NFS built in, you could share more than just music by using CIFS manager. I've used this one and have streamed movies, music, ROMs and whatever you have available on your computer and it worked perfectly.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/cifsmana...er.cifsmanager

The only thing with CIFS manager is that you may have to be on the same network as the computer you're trying to stream from but I'm assuming if you build a box and make a static IP you could technically connect to it from anywhere.

I know Google has been talking about streaming music from the clouds so its probably coming in Honeycomb. People were expecting it to come in Gingerbread, although, it still could possibly come.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-21-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM

see, told ya...
Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

^ lol.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:27 AM

The creator of Voodoo Kernel got Gingerbread to boot on the Galaxy S! Only a matter of time before a stable release will be built even if Samsung doesn't want to update the phones themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7oU...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFP8G...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KDIJ...layer_embedded
Wow GB is sooooo fast... touch what ya want and its there!... I just got to watch the vids... been so busy...
Old 12-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

Supposedly, Google changed the way touch input is interpreted in Gingerbread using less CPU making it a lot smoother and on point compared to previous builds. In Froyo and below, touching the screen caused the CPU to spike up to 50% causing lag especially in the older phones which you can see when changing screens too fast in the home launcher. Gingerbread should help older phones speed up but I don't think most companies will update them officially.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by hytebazm
读取文章内容失败,可能是文章已经删除掉了。文件路径:D:\虫虫软件\虫虫博客2009\article s\thanks.html.published
Well said.

Spam bot?

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread