Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Went with the fascinate using swype to post this its bad ass. Love this phone!
I figured you would...

Enjoy until the dual cores arrive enmasse!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
I just hade how handscent is set up, and its sooo slow... maybe I'll give Chomp a try.
I actually used chomp for a while, but got lazy and switched back... my friend at work has been using it for almost a month and she loves it!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
In reality though, as much as I love all of the new specs on these phone, I don't see myself even using it to it's full potential. Kinda like having a turboed car. All I do is drive to school. A turbo is great to show off to, but I won't even use it to its full potential.

The only time I see myself using it to its full potential would be when I first get it. I remembered loading so many apps and games on my Vibrant. But after about a month, I don't even play 80% of those games. All I've been doing mainly is talk, text, music and web.
I feel ya... I think its having the potential to go faster that is addictive with all of these electronic devices... LOL... by the time I get them they are 6 moths old to me and almost a year old to the market's big players... I am always

On a high note... my supercharged car does sound great when I step into it alil...
Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yeah its under battery history. Not sure why its crashing but its a basic app. A quick google search for your problem says that its Latitude and Google Voice thats draining for some reason on the Nexus S. If you have either running or you open them up once, they remain open for some weird reason.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=896004

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890094

Sign out of Google Voice in the settings menu or Latitude.
hmm that may be it, I'll try it out. I know I signed out of lattitude the day I got my phone, but I also signed into google voice. My maps is taking a lot of battery for me not opening the app though.

Thanks man you guys are really helpful
Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmm so I think something in maps was keeping my phone awake. Looking at my layers I didnt have lattitude checked, the only thing was traffic. So I turned that off. Google voice was never an issue for me, I think at least. But no one had android OS as one of their top things. Think its time I register to the xda forums haha.

btw is there another way to sign out of lattitude or is it just unchecking it on the layers option.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
dammit.... i just brain farted.. lol.. totally forgot to wipe before installing CM7
Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
Hmm so I think something in maps was keeping my phone awake. Looking at my layers I didnt have lattitude checked, the only thing was traffic. So I turned that off. Google voice was never an issue for me, I think at least. But no one had android OS as one of their top things. Think its time I register to the xda forums haha.

btw is there another way to sign out of lattitude or is it just unchecking it on the layers option.
Yeah I think you'll be fine with just unchecking latitude. There is a separate latitude app in the apps drawer. My friend had the same battery drain issue with Google Voice on his Vibrant yesterday but he's running a stock 2.1 build. Must be a stock ROM issue cause I run Google Voice and Latitude all day.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 PM

The Arc looks amazing! Makes my EVO look like a block of wood!

Check out this vid from engadget....

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/s...-4-appearance/
Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Wow, I haven't check this thread in forever...many pages to catch up on!

I recently changed from p3droid's ULV 1 gHz kernel to Chevy's ULV 1 gHz kernel because the p3droid kernel doesn't support IPv6 and I wasn't able to use Google Goggles because of that. But with Chevy's kernel, the phone seems more responsive and I'm getting much better battery life too!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for you guys. I got a Samsung Epic from Sprint. If I am going to get rid of it, how to I wipe out all my info. all my contacts? Email info, etc.. Basically make it like the day I opened the box it came in.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
Question for you guys. I got a Samsung Epic from Sprint. If I am going to get rid of it, how to I wipe out all my info. all my contacts? Email info, etc.. Basically make it like the day I opened the box it came in.
There's a factory reset in the settings. I think that should wipe out everything.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah I think you'll be fine with just unchecking latitude. There is a separate latitude app in the apps drawer. My friend had the same battery drain issue with Google Voice on his Vibrant yesterday but he's running a stock 2.1 build. Must be a stock ROM issue cause I run Google Voice and Latitude all day.
Well I did find out what was wrong, and it was my maps. I did a force stop and clear data, and now its running perfectly. Maps usage isnt way up there. And my battery graph shows the awake and screen on, going together now, which it didnt do before. Woot
Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM

There's a factory reset in the settings. I think that should wipe out everything.
that and wipe the SD card or replace it (like I did)... I kept all the pics that were on my SD card...
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Fascinate is great except email.... I checked all of my settings, but I'm not receiving any work email at all. IT looked at my phone and said incoming and outgoing is correct, doh!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Have you tried another email app like Nitrodesk's Exchange for Android?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/exchange...roid20.nitroid

It has a 30 day trial but it works excellent for me. There are other mail clients out there as well like K9 and Seven which I believe is the same one as Samsung's stock E-mail app.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just upgraded to liquid's gingerbread 1.0. It is more awesome than his last. But, what I'm really waiting for is motorola's new dual core phone coming to verozon's lte network....

That will be my coming home present.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
The Arc looks amazing! Makes my EVO look like a block of wood!

Check out this vid from engadget....

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/s...-4-appearance/
looks nice. but on youtube there seems to be alot of pissed off people with this phone pertaining to their last phone.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupid question. I am getting to erase my my whole cell. To sell. So I go to contacts, menu, export to xd card, confrim. Says transfering 133 contact. Finishes and creates 1 file named 00001.vcf. When I go in it to save onto my pc or whatever, that file does not have anything but 1 contact. Any easier way? What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
Stupid question. I am getting to erase my my whole cell. To sell. So I go to contacts, menu, export to xd card, confrim. Says transfering 133 contact. Finishes and creates 1 file named 00001.vcf. When I go in it to save onto my pc or whatever, that file does not have anything but 1 contact. Any easier way? What am I doing wrong?
If you are trying to keep your contacts, they should all be backed up to your google account. Check there to make sure they are all there.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Safety Car

The contacts should be automatically synced to your GMail account every time you have auto-sync running on your phone. Just open up your GMail in your browser on a computer then click on the Contacts under Inbox. You can even make changes on there and import or export them if you like if you want to move to a different phone not running Android.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by asianspec
looks nice. but on youtube there seems to be alot of pissed off people with this phone pertaining to their last phone.
Yeah a lot of people are pissed they're not upgrading their X10 beyond Eclair officially. The rumor is that there was a lot of management changes in Sony Ericsson that kept pushing the upgrade back and then just disappeared. Sony is claiming to support their future lines better. We'll see...
Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by asianspec
Yeah a lot of people are pissed they're not upgrading their X10 beyond Eclair officially. The rumor is that there was a lot of management changes in Sony Ericsson that kept pushing the upgrade back and then just disappeared. Sony is claiming to support their future lines better. We'll see...
Is Sony one of the companies that is trying to prevent or slow root? If so, then I can see everyone being mad... if not... then I say root that joint and move on...

...the custom ROMs seem to make the most out of a device and give you a fun factor way past any update (or backdate) the official pencil necks would deem needed or justified... plus the are slow as HE^^ getting those updates to peeps...
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigLizard
I just upgraded to liquid's gingerbread 1.0. It is more awesome than his last. But, what I'm really waiting for is motorola's new dual core phone coming to verozon's lte network....

That will be my coming home present.

Me too!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just installed swype beta...holy fuck, talk about awesome. Now I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to a new phone any more. Lol...

I don't really care about the minor bugs in liquid's gingerbread. The customization is massive beyond belief. My phone doesn't even look like a normal phone. It's over clocked as usual to 1.1ghz. The smoothness and animation is out of this world.

I can't really think of what I could be missing out on a new phone if my old phone can keep up with the new software that keeps rolling out...plus the extensive list of rooms that can be used on it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

does anyone know of a good app thats a wireless keyboard and mouse for your computer.

I used to use airmouse on my iphone and that was really good. I dont see a good one on andoid yet.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
I came across a cool program on XDA. Its called Keyboard Manager. It allows you to have Swype in portrait mode but the regular keyboard in landscape mode. In landscape mode, I typically type with both thumbs so using swype in landscape was annoying.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=830177
Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,482 Posts
sorry, but I'm a total Android noob... thinking of switching from iPhone

so... I'm on a "long visit" here in Vancouver BC/Canada. It's pretty much going to be permanent... but yet, I don't want a contract with any phones... just because anything can happen, and I'm back in California next year. Plus, some of their phones here are 3 year contracts!!! -NO THANKS.

Anyways, I have a unlocked iPhone 3GS now, and wouldn't mind just using it, but if I want anything with data, I have to get a contract. Or just go with the prepaid monthly w/o data. Which kinda sucks, because I'm always on the go, and at times I need stuff looked up.

I decided I'm going to get a unlocked Android based phone, just outright buy it so I can use it too with AT&T when I visit the States.

My question is... which is the better one or what are the pros and cons between the following:

MyTouch (4G, not that it matters)
Nexus ONE
Nexus S
Samsung Galaxy

I know the Nexus S is the latest and it's the newer than the Nexus ONE, but are there any BIG improvements that's worthwhile?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I came across a cool program on XDA. Its called Keyboard Manager. It allows you to have Swype in portrait mode but the regular keyboard in landscape mode. In landscape mode, I typically type with both thumbs so using swype in landscape was annoying.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=830177
Sweet!!! I have been looking for something like this for some time now.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by is300eater
so... I'm on a "long visit" here in Vancouver BC/Canada. It's pretty much going to be permanent... but yet, I don't want a contract with any phones... just because anything can happen, and I'm back in California next year. Plus, some of their phones here are 3 year contracts!!! -NO THANKS.

Anyways, I have a unlocked iPhone 3GS now, and wouldn't mind just using it, but if I want anything with data, I have to get a contract. Or just go with the prepaid monthly w/o data. Which kinda sucks, because I'm always on the go, and at times I need stuff looked up.

I decided I'm going to get a unlocked Android based phone, just outright buy it so I can use it too with AT&T when I visit the States.

My question is... which is the better one or what are the pros and cons between the following:

MyTouch (4G, not that it matters)
Nexus ONE
Nexus S
Samsung Galaxy

I know the Nexus S is the latest and it's the newer than the Nexus ONE, but are there any BIG improvements that's worthwhile?
You will only get 3G on the Nexus One (ATT Version), S (Bell version - not out yet), and Galaxy S (Bell [Lots of failed internal SD on this version, mine failed twice] and ATT Captivate version) because they have the 850 and 1900 MHz 3G frequency. If you bought a phone like the MyTouch 4G and Nexus S (T-Mobile version) which uses the 1700 and 2100 bands, you will only get EDGE on ATT and in Canada.

If I had to choose between those set of phones though, I'd get the Nexus S (Wait for the Bell version) because it'll get the updates first before the other phones as Google will support it up front. If you like to flash ROMs, then the MyTouch 4G (if 3G is not important to you) or Nexus S as they have a lot of XDA support at the moment. The Galaxy S line will maybe get Gingerbread which is the latest version of Android right now and is currently only found in the Nexus S. That will probably be the last official update if it'll get it at all so if you want to futureproof, then the Nexus S is the phone to get. Although, I must say, I'm very happy with my Galaxy S now with the custom ROM and kernels I'm running.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 01-24-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Speaking of the Galaxy S, I'm loving it with the latest Voodoo Kernel. He finally fixed the mic recording and the sound output of the phone is excellent. With the lagfix, the phone is very responsive and so far I don't see any reason to upgrade yet. Maybe when the dual core phones come out I'll think about it. lol. As of right now, I'm pleased with my Galaxy S after flashing a custom Froyo ROM and Voodoo kernel.

Here's some sample differences:

Before Voodoo Sound fix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp1s65tnfbU

After Voodoo Sound fix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw8-vFlZn7Q

More info in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195

Should be compiled for the other Galaxy S devices now.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, cuz I was thinking of pulling the trigger on an unlocked MyTouch, but I would've been pissed if I only get Edge. I'll probably just pick up a used Nexus ONE. Do they all tether?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by is300eater
Thanks for the heads up, cuz I was thinking of pulling the trigger on an unlocked MyTouch, but I would've been pissed if I only get Edge. I'll probably just pick up a used Nexus ONE. Do they all tether?
Yeah its a common mistake. People think just because you buy an unlocked phone you automatically get 3G on any carrier. The Nexus One still has a lot of support from devs on XDA. You should search for CyanogenMod in Google and you'll see that they've already ported Gingerbread before Google even officially releases it for the phone. Since it is a Google Phone, it too will get the updates fairly quickly in relation to the other Android phones. The hardware is still pretty capable. My only gripe with the phone is in regards to the multitouch. HTC used a cheaper sensor but you most likely won't notice it in daily use and probably improved with Gingerbread.

USB tethering is standard in all Android phones via an app. Meaning, you can tether while your phone is connected to your computer by USB. Wireless tethering on the other hand, requires Root (somewhat similar to jailbreak) and most likely the same app that is used for USB tethering.

Rooting is fairly easy nowadays as XDA devs create apps you can install from the market that do it for your or run a script that automates the whole process. The Bell Galaxy S has it built into their stock ROMs and call it Mobile AP. The Bell Nexus S will probably have it as well when it comes out.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah its a common mistake. People think just because you buy an unlocked phone you automatically get 3G on any carrier. The Nexus One still has a lot of support from devs on XDA. You should search for CyanogenMod in Google and you'll see that they've already ported Gingerbread before Google even officially releases it for the phone. Since it is a Google Phone, it too will get the updates fairly quickly in relation to the other Android phones. The hardware is still pretty capable. My only gripe with the phone is in regards to the multitouch. HTC used a cheaper sensor but you most likely won't notice it in daily use and probably improved with Gingerbread.

USB tethering is standard in all Android phones via an app. Meaning, you can tether while your phone is connected to your computer by USB. Wireless tethering on the other hand, requires Root (somewhat similar to jailbreak) and most likely the same app that is used for USB tethering.

Rooting is fairly easy nowadays as XDA devs create apps you can install from the market that do it for your or run a script that automates the whole process. The Bell Galaxy S has it built into their stock ROMs and call it Mobile AP. The Bell Nexus S will probably have it as well when it comes out.
Doesnt tethering have additional costs from your wireless carrier (T-Mobile)
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Safety Car

Tethering costs extra in any carrier in the US officially. However, carriers can't exactly differentiate between regular data use and tethering use except when you use more than 5 GB of data a month. Then maybe they'll do something about it. Although I've seen more than 5 GB used on T-Mobile's "unlimited" data plan. T-Mobile will throttle down your data speed to 56K Modem speeds after you hit that 5 GB without any extra charges and resets on your next billing cycle. Just avoid using too much data so their system can't flag you. Otherwise, tethering = regular data use in their system. This is why carriers remove the function from stock ROMs unless you pay and are put back in by custom ROMs as its a native code in Android without having to pay extra.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Only if you tell them

Most roms will have tethering in them and the TelCos cant tell if you are tethering.

Tethering costs extra in any carrier in the US officially. However, carriers can't exactly differentiate between regular data use and tethering use except when you use more than 5 GB of data a month. Then maybe they'll do something about it. Although I've seen more than 5 GB used on T-Mobile's "unlimited" data plan. T-Mobile will throttle down your data speed to 56K Modem speeds after you hit that 5 GB without any extra charges and resets on your next billing cycle. Just avoid using too much data so their system can't flag you. Otherwise, tethering = regular data use in their system. This is why carriers remove the function from stock ROMs unless you pay and are put back in by custom ROMs as its a native code in Android without having to pay extra.
Ive had it happen to me.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Froyo includes wireless tethering without root btw.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Froyo includes wireless tethering without root btw.
You had vanilla Froyo though, right? Most of the roms that the TelCos screw with dont have that function, not free at least.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
You had vanilla Froyo though, right? Most of the roms that the TelCos screw with dont have that function, not free at least.
Never said it was free, but it's available. And yes on vanilla Froyo.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

How is wifi when it comes to battery usage, does it use more compared to using 3G. When you enable wifi, does 3G turn off so you save battery?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

WiFi should give you better battery so long as you're always connected to a router and not continually trying to ping for one. 3G will be turned off if WiFi is on. It will be turned on automatically as needed such as when receiving and sending MMS.

Using WiFi should use less battery because the distance between the router and the phone is much smaller in comparison to a cell tower's location unless you live right next to one. The phone won't have to work extra hard to maintain/transmit/receive information. Theoretically, 3G uses less power when its actually transmitting/receiving data in comparison to WiFi. On the other hand, WiFi consumes much lesser battery when its not transmitting/receiving data and just connected. Personally, I've been able to maintain twice the battery life on my phones if my phone is always connected to WiFi compared to running them on 3G. But as always, I turn off WiFi when I'm not near a hotspot.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread