Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
I just got samsung gs3 to replace my iphone 4. Cool phone but i have few issues with it like apps not working properly... i cant get skype to work and most of the apps are not working

Last edited by StreetKA; 06-28-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
nice, i was reading about project butter and it looked like great improvements to the responsiveness of the UI
Yeah its a lot smoother than ICS which was fairly smooth with some custom kernels like Franco's. The smoothness of JB is on another level though. I think a good analogy would be ICS was the U/I overhaul for Android, JB is the U/X overhaul. A lot of the animations remind me of a tweaked WebOS (from what I've watched on videos and my limited play time with their devices).

The flicking gestures are awesome and found in multiple places now including the home screen where you can flick icons to get rid of them. There is still some stuttering when you try to tax the phone but that's not a normal case scenario. I'll say around 90% of the time its very smooth. Not really sure why it hasn't been officially released yet but JB is ready. Maybe Google is cleaning up the source code and making a few more tweaks before its drop mid-July.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StreetKA
I just got samsung gs3 to replace my iphone 4. Cool phone but i have few issues with it like apps not working properly... i cant get skype to work and most of the apps are not working
Yeah Skype is a POS as far as I can remember. It was a memory hog from the get go. Haven't used it recently but I doubt that's chagned. That's up to Skype to fix for the GS3 which they'll probably fix it soon. As far as the other apps, its probably the same situation. Just send those error reports in when it crashes so the devs can fix them.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Safety Car

Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28486-tea...ild-is-now-up/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1738018
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Root Guide for GSM Galaxy Nexus:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1737824

Rooting mine now.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Oh nice. Let us know how it went.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Safety Car

Here's the proper Google Now screenshots:

Your relevant cards when you open Google Now:

2YyJY.png

Sample cards:

uHMII.png G1l7Y.png AlAR5.png

Got a second Nexus e-mail from Google:

5ufFQ.png

New Jelly Bean USB Debugging icon replacing the old Ice Cream Sandwich USB debugging icon:

J5eyz.png

Apparently it works after logging into your Google account to gather all the relevant information it needs to pop up its cards. All of the cards are customizable in terms of what you want it to show and it looks like there's more may be on the way. Also, the weather card shows up on your notification bar until you flick it off if you want your weather to be in the notification.

Google Now is supposed to adapt to everything you do from your calendar and based on your search. There is a Hotword function but I'm not sure how to use it. It says to just say "Google" and it should launch Google Now but its not working? Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it seems like you can have Jelly Bean listen for a command word to activate Google Now.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 06-28-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
Oh nice. Let us know how it went.
Its rooted. Very quick and painless. Fastboot ftw. Literally a 2 minute job. Also Boot Up time still remains to be very quick. I'm talking between 10-20 seconds here with 3/4 of my apps installed.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Safety Car

Disable App Notifications

One of the new features in Jelly Bean.

Ivs9Z.png

See that Notification toggle. Now you can pick and choose if you want to receive notifications from certain apps especially those that push out ads in the Notification bar. Personally, I don't ever install those apps but if you can't live without it now you can block them out.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06...dividual-apps/
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Safety Car

Testing Offline Voice Typing:

0Qu64.png uhtcc.png

^Works great and its fairly quick. You can download different languages as well.

Keyboard now has predictive typing based on how you type just like SwiftKey!

0mh5F.png
Old 06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
SICK....

someone is KS wants to root my device ???
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Fastboot on Nexus devices makes it so easy to root and push custom ROMs on this phone. I can't stop playing with Jelly Bean and I need to get some work done today. For a beta, Jelly Bean is awesome. Can't wait to see it get faster in the final build. So many new tweaks that you can't capture with screenshots it makes my Nexus feel like a new phone all over again. I love the new TTS voice and the app switching animation. Love this phone and Jelly Bean. 2nd Google I/O Keynote is going to start in a few and I'm guessing it'll have to do with Google TV.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Latest Play Store apk for people not on Jelly Bean:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06...-bean-edition/

Don't need root. Just install it like any regular apk. Adds Magazines, TV Shows and Movies purchasing.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
So I am up for a new phone and new to Android. I've got AT&T...

What do you recommend? I am looking at the One-X and the Galaxy S3. Both these phones look pretty even on paper, but are there any issues or things I should know about? Any other phone I should look at?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the Sprint version of the One X and it's a fantastic phone. There are a few things to keep in mind though. Mainly that the multitasking doesn't work very well, HTC made it autokill apps extremely aggressively.

I don't know if the OneX has this issue, but with the Evos if you have it in your pocket and do some squats (or other motion) where you're putting a lot of bending force on the phone it's possible to tweak the metal frame. It just takes a quick retweak to get it straight and doesn't damage anything. I think it's because frame is very thin where the kickstand is, I guess that's the compromise for being so sleek.

Other then that, the phone is fast, has a GORGEOUS screen, amazing camera, great battery life and is unbelievably thin (it makes the GS2 look like an pig). If you like to wear skinny pants then this phone may not be for you though.

Last edited by zguy95135; 06-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by savage
So I am up for a new phone and new to Android. I've got AT&T...

What do you recommend? I am looking at the One-X and the Galaxy S3. Both these phones look pretty even on paper, but are there any issues or things I should know about? Any other phone I should look at?
I say Galaxy Nexus but I'm a little biased. They're only $350 now unlocked, no contract at the Play Store. Its pentaband so it works on any GSM network in the world 3G/"4G" and you can bet it'll get all of the updates before all the other devices get them.

https://play.google.com/store/device...MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ..

If I had to pick between the S3 or the One X, I'd go with the S3. The S3 has 2 GB of RAM, all of the carriers in the states have the same exact hardware which means a lot more accessories. Also, as long as one of them gets the update, you can bet that update can be ported to the others. The Qualcomm S4 processor is also found in a lot of other devices as well so if any of those devices get an update, you can expect it on the S3. Also, the Qualcomm S4 is on par with the quad core alternatives out there so the whole quad vs. dual core argument is moot.

The One X is nice but I've been hearing it has an aggressive task killer setting for multitasking which makes the quad core pointless. It can be fixed with root and a script. (What can't be fixed with root access? lol.) Also, NVIDIA isn't the best when it comes to open sourcing their stuff. Yes the Nexus 7 is a Tegra 3 which is the same processor found in the HTC One X, but it is a different faster variant and Google and ASUS are very reliable for their updates. In the case of the One X, your hand will be tied to HTC and mainly NVIDIA for updates which has been hit or miss. Just take a look at the LG G2X to get an idea of how updates work with Tegra devices. But hey, maybe NVIDIA can change their stance on supporting open source but why risk it with a 2 year contract.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 06-28-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Here's the Easter Egg for Jelly Bean:

qFWjb.png Owv8g.png

You can flick each Jelly Bean off the screen. lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:36 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
ughh i just put liquidsmooth 1.5 on my phone last week. time for another nandroid backup
Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ez12a
ughh i just put liquidsmooth 1.5 on my phone last week. time for another nandroid backup
I did a wipe recently too as I was waiting for the CM9 RC builds. Its worth it though. Jelly Bean is on another level.

Oh I also figured out how to invoke the Hotword command in Google Now. You have to be in Google Now and on the Cards Screen and then say "Google". Voice search will then prompt for any queries. Pretty neat but requires you to open the Google Now page. Also, the Google Now page will collect information on your queries to build all of the relevant cards so it becomes more and more specific the more you search. The phone learns more and more about you from your searches, calendar events, and then feeds you relevant information on the cards. Its kinda cool and scary at the same time. lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Safety Car

civicdrivr (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
this needs to get ported to the NS
civicdrivr (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting Eezkel is saying that the different tool chains like what linaro use and so forth actually do not provide better performance.

I dont know much about this stuff but here is the link for those interested, i know mike will probably be haha
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1371044
Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Interesting Eezkel is saying that the different tool chains like what linaro use and so forth actually do not provide better performance.

I dont know much about this stuff but here is the link for those interested, i know mike will probably be haha
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1371044
I do remember reading that thread. Linaro isn't just a tool chain change though. The Linaro team also did some code cleanup and a few other enhancements to get rid of compile flag errors when compiling Android. Overall, it should boost up performance of Android a bit but maybe not to the 2-3 times that Linaro was showing in their benchmarks as that's only one part of the whole Android pie. Regardless, Cyanogen decided not to use the Linaro GCC in the end because they didn't want to risk stuff breaking.

Patch Set 1: I would prefer that you didn't submit this
I think I am just going to make an executive decision here and say that we aren't going with GCC 4.7.
AOSP master is moving to GCC 4.6, which is a step in the right direction and is much more stable. If we want to work with a new toolchain, this is a better choice.
http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/17444/

They did merge some of the code cleanup from the Linaro team into both AOSP and CyanogenMod. However, they decided to stick with the GCC 4.6 as that's what Google is deciding to use. Makes sense as CyanogenMod is not more experimental than it is a Vanilla AOSP with some extra features. AOKP, Liquid and all the other variants on the other hand don't have the same mass appeal so they can do whatever they want.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Safety Car

Someone posted this on G+ and I thought it was pretty true. Lol.

1. You know you’re rooted when your girlfriend can’t get hold of you for an hour because you’re in recovery.. and she becomes suspicious.

2. You know you’re rooted when someone asks if rooting is like jail breaking their iPhone and you laugh in their face.

3. You know you’re rooted when boot loops don’t scare you anymore.

4. You know you’re rooted when your girlfriend looks in your messages and gets suspicious cause you have none.

5. You know your are rooted when u scream “YESSSS” in a bus full of people because a rom update successfully booted up.

6. You know you are rooted when someone at a party says “hey you have that awesome 12/8 mp camera phone right? Please take a pic of us” and you can only sheepishly reply “Cyanogenmod doesn’t have working camera yet”

7. You know you’re rooted when you take your Android phone to the service center and they say that your warranty is voided because of rooting.

8. You know your rooted when you wake up and your Android device is still in your hands.

9. You know you are rooted when two iPhone guys are talking about their phones and you are sitting there smiling thinking “if only they could understand the things you do on your phone is of a magnitude higher than they can ever do”

10. You know you’re rooted when your microUSB cable connected to your PC is used more often than your mouse.

Can't remember the source sorry:P
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10031709...ts/AurfWNpoBWe
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
You know your rooted when you wake up and your Android device is still in your hands.
I can't remember how many times I thought "yea, Ill just flash a new rom right before I go to sle- ", only to wake up at 4am with the phone still in recovery
Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I can't remember how many times I thought "yea, Ill just flash a new rom right before I go to sle- ", only to wake up at 4am with the phone still in recovery
Happened quite a few times with me too. lol. I thought I was the only one. #1 is especially true for me but since I have my Galaxy S as a backup device now, it doesn't happen as often. I used to get nasty voicemails from her asking where I was and what I was doing. Lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Adobe Will Not Support Flash On Android 4.1

In November, Adobe announced that it would be discontinuing its development of Flash for Android, and it looks like that day has finally arrived.
In a post on their blog, the company has explained that devices which have been certified to run Flash will still continue to do so, and updates will be made available just for those devices. Any devices that have not been certified to run Flash will be unable to install or update it from the Play Store from August 15th.

According to the post, any device that has been certified to run Flash by Adobe will have come with the plug-in pre-installed, so if you had to install Flash manually through the Play Store, it means that you are running it on an uncertified device. Adobe has posted a list of all certified devices on their website.

If you have a certified device that may be upgraded to Jelly Bean in the future, Adobe recommends that you delete Flash when the update occurs, as no modifications have been made to ensure that it runs properly on the new operating system. However, there's no way that this can be enforced by the company and if Flash continues to work then there is no reason why you can't continue to use it.

Although this isn't great news for users who use Flash regularly, most video-on-demand services now offer mobile apps to replace websites which may use Flash, and there are very few things that you won't be access whilst online. If you want to install Flash from the Play Store after August 15th, you will still be able to sideload the installation file on to your device, as all previous versions of the .apk are stored on Adobe's website.
Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06...r-august-15th/

Might want to back that apk up and keep it safe somewhere. Maybe Google will implement its own updates of flash in Chrome mobile like they do on their desktop variant. I use flash a lot to stream those sports games online.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM
the overexplainer

Flashed Vicious 4.1 last night Love it, but i really want nova launcher features...and that unfortunately seems to remove things like auto widget resizing.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
I've been running the CM9 RC1 for the past few days and love it. It feels faster then the nightlies, which is odd because it was always the opposite with CM7.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I was waiting outside Moscone West yesterday waiting to get in for work stuff and Sergey Brin (sp?) walks out. The glasses look really sleek, I want a pair .

Oh, and I hope Jellybean comes to the new Evo soon
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Flashed Vicious 4.1 last night Love it, but i really want nova launcher features...and that unfortunately seems to remove things like auto widget resizing.
Wouldn't installing Nova Launcher from the market allow for you to get those features back? I'm still using the Stock Launcher at the moment since I don't need all the other fancy features. The only thing I was missing was the Notification Toggles but Widgetsoid took care of that problem. Also, Project Butter really made LWP usable. No more lag on any of the LWP.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
the overexplainer

i think since nova has it's own resizing capability it's not built in. Only the JB launcher has that and they're completely separate apps almost (at one point I was switching between the two because Launcher was still default and my home screens were completely different) As far as I can tell it doesnt rearrange icons around the widget.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Ahh that's what you meant. Yeah only stock launcher has that feature right now. I'm sure once the source code drops you'll see it implemented in the other launchers. Really enjoy flicking icons off the home screen. Gives Jelly Bean a whole playful theme.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zguy95135
I was waiting outside Moscone West yesterday waiting to get in for work stuff and Sergey Brin (sp?) walks out. The glasses look really sleek, I want a pair .

Oh, and I hope Jellybean comes to the new Evo soon
haha nice! Where do you work?!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Ahh that's what you meant. Yeah only stock launcher has that feature right now. I'm sure once the source code drops you'll see it implemented in the other launchers. Really enjoy flicking icons off the home screen. Gives Jelly Bean a whole playful theme.
haha yeah

I'm restoring my liquid smooth 1.5 nandroid now, as the vicious seems to have problems with not deep sleeping (i can see the CPU spending a lot of time at 305 Mhz, split about evenly with deep sleep), possibly Google Now polling data. 40% battery life left with only 40 min of screen time. Not terrible, but a noticeable reduction. By 5 pm i'm usually at 60%.

Now that i've had my fun with it and a few screenshots to keep, i'm going back.

(i know it's pre-release, and shouldn't expect perfection. ergo i need a production ready ROM)

Last edited by ez12a; 06-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

screw apple

they just got a preliminary injunction for the galaxy nexus
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
the overexplainer

lol, free $96 million for Samsung.

""It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging," Apple said in an e-mailed statement. "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas.""

because the galaxy nexus in particular looks a LOT like the iphone in shape and size.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,986 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
screw apple

they just got a preliminary injunction for the galaxy nexus
nvm

Last edited by Mizouse; 06-29-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: opps
Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,986 Posts
lol, free $96 million for Samsung.

""It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging," Apple said in an e-mailed statement. "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas.""

because the galaxy nexus in particular looks a LOT like the iphone in shape and size.
the lawsuit isnt about the looks, its about patents. like the slide to unlock or something like the patent on unified search that's linked to Siri
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

This is why we can't have nice things.

The patent is in relation to using multiple sources to come up with an answer regarding a query. Pretty much what Google Search is/was all about in Android and more importantly Google Now in Jelly Bean. Apple filed for the patent in 2004 and only received it recently so this one's gonna be hard to get rid of considering Google's main business is search. Samsung/Google would have to find something prior to 2004 showing unified search but I don't think they'd be able to. As ridiculous as that sounds, its one of the reasons the Patent system needs a revision. Also, Apple's doing its part in taking advantage of the brokenness of the system. At least Microsoft is allowing other companies to license its patents for a reasonable fee instead of driving the competition out of business. The next few weeks should be interesting. Maybe Google will finally get involved now instead of watching its OEMs go toe to toe with Apple.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 06-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.
civicdrivr (06-30-2012)

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread