Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
^ I told you would have a crazy phat answer from CB... :wink:

Hey man (CB), whats your real name? I am Rick
Old 08-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Thats crazy clown town on the electricity mang!

Less than a week, oh yeah...

what rotation will you be starting on when you get back here bro?
The Caribbean schools work a little different. We do basic sciences over here then we go back to the states for Clinicals (or we could choose to do it on the island for one more semester where you get more hands on because there aren't lawsuits down here so you can assist the doctors with things you wouldn't be able to do back in the states. I would've done it but I need my sanity. lol.) I'll be in Miami after this semester is over.

We do some Intro to Clinicals here but our 1 semester back in the states before rotations is more comprehensive. We're also required to take a Comprehensive test (Comp for short) at the beginning of the semester before we can take the USMLE Step 1. The Comp is supposedly comparable to the Step 1 and we get three tries before we can go on to take the real Step 1 or fail out of the school. This is why the Caribbean schools have an inflated Step 1 passing rate. They weed out the people who are going to fail it before hand. And because we're considered foreign grads, we have to score pretty high to be considered competitive against US Med school students. Pretty much everything works against us and we have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Haha. After we get our Step scores, then we get placed on where to rotate with some leeway depending on our scores.

^ I told you would have a crazy phat answer from CB... :wink:

Hey man (CB), whats your real name? I am Rick
My name is Mike.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 08-15-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cyanogen update is available for the evo. Still no 4g, hdmi out, and fm radio. I cant wait for a full working version. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735596
Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
cyanogen update is available for the evo. Still no 4g, hdmi out, and fm radio. I cant wait for a full working version. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735596
RC1 for the MT3G Slide was also released and I believe they have a new and easier way to root that phone instead of the boot looping nonsense. RC3 for the Dream/Magic phones was released too. Unfortunately for me, I blew up my wireless router the other day (220V vs. 110V and I forgot the adapter doesn't autoregulate when I plugged it in ). I'm forced to use an Ad-Hoc network to connect to the internet for the moment on my phone. Android fails badly with this at the moment. It ignores Ad-Hoc connections and you can't connect to them unless you hack the wireless settings. I can't figure out how to do it for Froyo but it works perfectly for Eclair so I have to roll back until I get home unless he included an Ad-Hoc hack.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Here's my current setup using HTCClay's SuperbadCM5 v1.7 using ADW.Launcher with the Droid Logo fonts. I'm really digging the Droid Logo font but I might try out the Calibri if I don't flash the new CM6 RC3 in a bit. lol.

Lockscreen:

Homescreen without notification bar:

Homescreen with notification bar:

Beautiful Widgets (yes the clouds move and when it rains it rains down too), 2D App launcher:

Stock Browser with Smart Keyboard Pro, Opera:

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 08-15-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Here's my current setup using HTCClay's SuperbadCM5 v1.7 using ADW.Launcher with the Droid Logo fonts. I'm really digging the Droid Logo font but I might try out the Calibri if I don't flash the new CM6 RC3 in a bit. lol.

Lockscreen:

Homescreen without notification bar:

Homescreen with notification bar:

Beautiful Widgets (yes the clouds move and when it rains it rains down too), 2D App launcher:

Stock Browser with Smart Keyboard Pro, Opera:
How does opera run on android? I am using Skyfire and running both ADW with beautiful widgets and Sense. I'm finding Sense is actually snappier (though used more ram) even though ADW looks better and is way more customizable. I tried Launcher pro but it kept trying to resize my widgets when I go to move them and it locked up the phone, so I ditched it.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
How does opera run on android? I am using Skyfire and running both ADW with beautiful widgets and Sense. I'm finding Sense is actually snappier (though used more ram) even though ADW looks better and is way more customizable. I tried Launcher pro but it kept trying to resize my widgets when I go to move them and it locked up the phone, so I ditched it.
I have Skyfire installed as well. Opera is my main browser to surf webpages. It works awesome for me because my internet is pretty slow down here and Opera compresses websites before handing it off to the phone so it doesn't take as long to load them with somewhat of a loss in image quality. Downside is that the pinch to zoom is preset so you cant adjust how far in you can zoom in or out. You only get the whole page view or a preset zoom level.

I use SkyFire primarily to watch streams online like the South Park episodes, Justin.tv streams but I rarely use it for normal web browsing. Then I use the regular Browser to surf pages that get displayed incorrectly with Opera. I hear Dolphin HD and Xscope are pretty good browsers too. I think Dolphin HD supports gesture commands as well which looks pretty cool.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

I flashed CyanogenMod 6 RC3 but Ad-Hoc still isn't working so I had to flash back to the set up I had above again because I can't get connected online. Guess I'll have to wait until I get back to play with it.

The new CM6 bootscreen animation is pretty awesome if you guys haven't seen it. I decided to use it on my current set up instead of the BIOS looking bootup screen in HTCClay's SuperBad. If you guys didn't know, you can change the bootscreen easily if your phone is rooted by replacing the bootanimation.zip file found in 'system/media/' folder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyFUi8PaK8I
Old 08-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Updated to froyo...now what?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Updated to froyo...now what?
Are you able to do the stuff I posted above? The Google Voice Actions, Chrome to Phone?

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/201...e-actions.html

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/201...inks-maps.html

You should also notice that your apps respond a little bit faster and webpages load faster due to the JIT and Java compiler in Froyo. You should also be able to make voice calls using a bluetooth headset now which was a limitation in previous Android OS. You should also be able to pinch to peek in the picture gallery to see whats inside the folders without opening them. Search has also become unified and they also made some modifications in the exchange account handling. There's a few more but those are the major ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=531mr...layer_embedded

I don't believe the update you have has Adobe Flash capability yet and thats supposed to come as a second update on the 18th. I'm not sure why Verizon did it that way but from what I'm hearing you can manually install Adobe Flash with the installer and it should work. Just place it in your SD card and install with a file explorer or email it to yourself and open and install in Gmail (new feature in Froyo as well).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HO8UZSDW
Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Pretty neat, but the Droid is good for 3 things:
1) Navigation System
2) Tethering with PDANet
3) NFL Mobile

Other then that. Not impressed with it.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

Well thats pretty much the basics of a smartphone. Like shown in this thread and throughout, the Android OS is really flexible and can do pretty much whatever you want it to. Of course, that all depends on what time you put into it like everything else in life. Rooting the phone just extends that freedom but its not for everyone.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Engadget just reviewed the Epic 4G and they seem to surprisingly like (love?) it:

So is it the right phone for the job? In a word, yes -- the Epic 4G is a great device. Killer, even. Nothing speaks to us more strongly during the course of a review than finishing it and saying, "alright, I'm ready to buy this thing," and the Epic is on the short list of phones that has managed to do it. More than its Galaxy S siblings, it feels like the Epic has overcome its shortcomings -- notably the forgettable UI skin -- to shine, and it's a phone we could easily imagine using day to day. Only thing is, the EVO is also on that short list for us -- and the better camera, bigger screen, and $50 savings versus the Epic still make it our winner in this 4G shootout, though only by the thinnest of margins. Needless to say, if you need a physical keyboard and you're looking for the one of the most musclebound Android phones money can buy, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/epic-4g-review/

If AT&T got this device, I'd be first in line to get it. I miss having a keyboard sometimes. Would be so useful in VNC apps and gaming situations.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
I prefer the EVO. Everyone knows I hate Samsung phones.

Does Hulu work with Skyfire?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
I prefer the EVO. Everyone knows I hate Samsung phones.

Does Hulu work with Skyfire?
Yeah thats understandable. Kinda hard to get over a bad experience with a phone company. Hulu unfortunately doesn't work with SkyFire. There seems to be a hack on XDA that allows Froyo users with Adobe Flash to watch Hulu with a hacked app but I think it still has a lot of issues:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=139
Old 08-16-2010, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up

...one step closer to a new android phone.... Sprint retentions will be sending me their new airwave device for free with free monthly service... LOL ...its hard to convince yourself that you should invest in a new device when you can barley use the one you have inside your own home!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 PM

The Caribbean schools work a little different. We do basic sciences over here then we go back to the states for Clinicals (or we could choose to do it on the island for one more semester where you get more hands on because there aren't lawsuits down here so you can assist the doctors with things you wouldn't be able to do back in the states. I would've done it but I need my sanity. lol.) I'll be in Miami after this semester is over.

We do some Intro to Clinicals here but our 1 semester back in the states before rotations is more comprehensive. We're also required to take a Comprehensive test (Comp for short) at the beginning of the semester before we can take the USMLE Step 1. The Comp is supposedly comparable to the Step 1 and we get three tries before we can go on to take the real Step 1 or fail out of the school. This is why the Caribbean schools have an inflated Step 1 passing rate. They weed out the people who are going to fail it before hand. And because we're considered foreign grads, we have to score pretty high to be considered competitive against US Med school students. Pretty much everything works against us and we have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Haha. After we get our Step scores, then we get placed on where to rotate with some leeway depending on our scores.

My name is Mike.
Well, I am praying for your continued success... you must be a hella smart guy!

My younger brother's name is Mike and so is our oldest son... it a good, solid name!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
1st TL-S on air in

...one step closer to a new android phone.... Sprint retentions will be sending me their new airwave device for free with free monthly service... LOL ...its hard to convince yourself that you should invest in a new device when you can barley use the one you have inside your own home!
congrats on the airave. Its like you will have your own antenna in your house as long as you have an internet connection.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Nice. I wish AT&T gave us a micro cell back at home. I have to leave my phone at the window and use a bluetooth headset to get 1 bar if I'm lucky. lol.

Well, I am praying for your continued success... you must be a hella smart guy!

My younger brother's name is Mike and so is our oldest son... it a good, solid name!
Thanks! Smart? I don't know. lol. If that were the case I wouldn't have been down here to begin with. I shouldn't have goofed around so much in undergrad. I blame the internet. I think determined is a better word. A lot of people get here and then drop out of the curriculum after the first semester because its very different from what they see or hear about, then give up. I like to prescribe to the idea that its not how you get there that matters, but how badly you want it.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

Congrats Sithman. Hopefully that fixes your problems and you can get that EVO and dump that Palm. My best man's name is Mike also.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Safety Car

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754961

XDA rocks! Got Ad-hoc working on Froyo! I tried it earlier on my old RC2 build but it destroyed my WiFi drivers so I downgraded to the Eclair build. This morning I decided to retry it again on a fresh install of HTCClay's Superfly TCBY FroYo v1.2 and I'm able to connect to my Ad-hoc connection! I'm back on Froyo. The new Power Control Widget is pretty sweet I must say. So many options to toggle on and off without having to dive into the settings.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Nice. I wish AT&T gave us a micro cell back at home. I have to leave my phone at the window and use a bluetooth headset to get 1 bar if I'm lucky. lol.

Dang Mike! thats pretty jacked up man! I am pretty close to being like that right now... freak show!

Thanks! Smart? I don't know. lol. If that were the case I wouldn't have been down here to begin with. I shouldn't have goofed around so much in undergrad. I blame the internet. I think determined is a better word. A lot of people get here and then drop out of the curriculum after the first semester because its very different from what they see or hear about, then give up. I like to prescribe to the idea that its not how you get there that matters, but how badly you want it.
I told the peeps in my residency interviews that persistent was the word that I would use to describe myself... and to do it right, you have to have some smarts... so you and I are on the same page!

congrats on the airave. Its like you will have your own antenna in your house as long as you have an internet connection.
LOL... I was so happy... I didn't even realize I called it a made-up name...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 PM

Congrats Sithman. Hopefully that fixes your problems and you can get that EVO and dump that Palm. My best man's name is Mike also.
Thanks alot man! I am so about to be done with my Pre... my wife still loves her Pixi, but she mostly uses phone, text, and gps.. which that phone does a great job of doing! But I know her... Evo in my hand, will be an Evo in her purse too... LOL

PS: I got her a sick BT headset, so she can listen to music too...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Mike, I am so glad that you got froyo workin on ur rig... sweetness! Give us the skinny when you have time!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Team Owner

Thanks alot man! I am so about to be done with my Pre... my wife still loves her Pixi, but she mostly uses phone, text, and gps.. which that phone does a great job of doing! But I know her... Evo in my hand, will be an Evo in her purse too... LOL

I know the feeling buddy
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

I told the peeps in my residency interviews that persistent was the word that I would use to describe myself... and to do it right, you have to have some smarts... so you and I are on the same page!

Mike, I am so glad that you got froyo workin on ur rig... sweetness! Give us the skinny when you have time!
Will do. Tomorrow's the big day. 4 hours of testing. Then I have to pack and party before my flight on Friday morning. The closest airport (11 miles away) takes 1 hour to get to and involves a lot of curves and unpaved roads and I have to head out from my apartment at 5 AM. I'm thinking I might as well not sleep until I get on the plane.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367962,00.asp

Official site appears to be down:

http://g2.t-mobile.com/

T-Mobile on Wednesday introduced the G2—the first phone on the carrier to take advantage of HSPA+ network speeds and the successor to the T-Mobile G1.

The company announced the phone via a page on its Web site, but that page doesn't give many hard details about the device.

What's most interesting here is that T-Mobile says the phone will "break new ground as the first smartphone designed to run at 4G speeds on our new HSPA+ network." Basically, T-Mobile is branding HSPA+ as the company's 4G network, which will compete with Sprint's own 4G offering, WiMAX. Both AT&T and Verizon plan to launch LTE, their own 4G networks, in 2011. In our own nation-wide data-speed testing, HSPA+ gave us very good speeds.

The T-Mobile G1 was the first Android phone on the U.S. market back in October 2008. But as other carriers began to release Android-based phones, T-Mobile has seemingly lagged behind. Both Verizon and Sprint, which have had major releases with the Motorola Droid line and HTC EVO 4G, seemed to embrace Android more than T-Mobile. While the recent launch of the Samsung Vibrant gave T-Mobile its own "Android super-phone," it may take another big Android phone or two before the company can cement themselves as the go-to place for cutting-edge Google phones.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM

I know the feeling buddy
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Will do. Tomorrow's the big day. 4 hours of testing. Then I have to pack and party before my flight on Friday morning. The closest airport (11 miles away) takes 1 hour to get to and involves a lot of curves and unpaved roads and I have to head out from my apartment at 5 AM. I'm thinking I might as well not sleep until I get on the plane.
...kick butt on ur exams bro!

...be careful on that road...

...and sleep soundly on ur flight...

I either sound like a Pastor or a Dad...LOL.. I am both... my prayers go with you...
Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM
wut.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashed CyanogenMod RC3 from BuglessBeast v0.4 and I am fairly impressed.

So much more customizable and smoother than the BB. I had some severe redraw problems with the BB, since it would always close down LP from Pete's memory tweaking.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by synth19
....thanks for the update man... the site is jacked up...LOL

I know I really liked the G1! .... a sweet rig!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
1st TL-S on air in

lol that is exactly how my fiance and parents felt when i got my evo. So now i have 4 evo's on my account
Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 AM

lol that is exactly how my fiance and parents felt when i got my evo. So now i have 4 evo's on my account
dude, thats intense!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

Well I'm finally off the island! It was a long trip but I got back to LA last night. Now just have to wait and see how the exam went. Spending some quality time with the gf and running off my phone's EDGE getting about 20 kB/s download and upload. lol. Good enough for browsing and even Google nav. So far, Froyo's been good but my phone is starting to show its age. Most likely gonna pick up the Samsung Galaxy next week. Still waiting for them to come back in stock. Hopefully soon. lol.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Mike... So glad you made it safe! Have a great time back in the USA...hollar back after you have some fun and get some rest!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Got Airave... Plugged it all in and ... It didn't work... I have to go back and troubleshoot it... Tooo busy to jack with it rite now...
Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Well I'm finally off the island! It was a long trip but I got back to LA last night. Now just have to wait and see how the exam went. Spending some quality time with the gf and running off my phone's EDGE getting about 20 kB/s download and upload. lol. Good enough for browsing and even Google nav. So far, Froyo's been good but my phone is starting to show its age. Most likely gonna pick up the Samsung Galaxy next week. Still waiting for them to come back in stock. Hopefully soon. lol.
Good luck with the captivate that phone is pretty sick. I like the EVO more, but for different reasons. You can't beat the captivates screen.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Got Airave... Plugged it all in and ... It didn't work... I have to go back and troubleshoot it... Tooo busy to jack with it rite now...
Called Sprint... they activated it over the phone while I was away from home and when I got back it was working just fine... 4 to 5 bars upstairs and down... will check the garage tomorrow...
Old 08-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Good luck with the captivate that phone is pretty sick. I like the EVO more, but for different reasons. You can't beat the captivates screen.
I still haven't seen the screen in person but I do plan on checking it out some time this week. I've heard nothing but good things about it though. I'm actually planning to get the European version which is similar but has the front facing cam. The people at XDA have just recently been able to unlock the Canadian version which has all AT&T bands. Only problem is, Bell won't sell the phone without a contract and no stores sell it outside of Canada that I'm aware of outside of eBay.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Since I bought the phone 2-3 days ago I have only been getting 3-4 bars with the reception and yet to have a phone drop a call. Anyone been getting that with the Samsung Captivate?

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread