2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Interesting

If all that is true, then they are making some pretty big changes for just 1 model year (2009). Granted, it goes on sale early in 2008 but still thats only like a 1.5 years.

Exciting times are coming for Acura - I just hope that they do not mess it up.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, i think i get it now....

Rather than introducing a new sedan, they're bumping all the sedans up. As in the TSX will do it's job but with the V6/SHAWD, it'll also take on what is now the position of the TL.

The TL will go head to head with the GS, 5 and E class (eventually).

And the RL will take on the bad boys such as the LS460, 7 and S class.

I have a feeling though, that Honda is pulling the same stunt. Don't be surprised if the next Honda Accord goes up against the Avalon.

I could be wrong too, but that's what it sounds like.

Although the RL will get the 3.7 liter and it's only getting 302? Is there atleast a massive torque jump? Or is that supposed to be 320? I don't see a good thing about a mere 12hp. Especially if torque is the same.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rexorg
Just got back from having the recall done. No scratches or dimples.

Here is what I got from the Internet Manager:

Coming in April!!!

'09 will have all new body panels with exception of two, which I would say is hood and roof.

The '09 will have the new corporate grill, which I think means MDX style.

Raised trunk with more room with BWM look for rear with revised exhaust outlets, which I think means four.

More wood in interior and big changes for audio and navi.

Only engine will be the 3.7L from MDX with 302 HP.

New lighting system probably with LEDs for DRL and parking.

------------------------------------

'10 FMC will introduce a big, true luxury RL with V8 and Diesel.

Price of '10 RL will be $60K+ for base and around $70K for loaded model.

The '09 TL will be not have AWD until the begininng of 2009.

The '09 TL will be a rocket!
Well, we'll see.. Often times seeking news from the dealers for info yields nothing.. But we'll see

Bob, makes a very valid point. Acura/Honda knows what it takes to compete. Is Honda willing to expense the extra cash to do it is the big question? Look at GM, they're not in great financial shape, but they are investing in Cadillac a great deal and it seems to be working. So Honda, doing very well financially, has the capital.
Also, I've noticed that Honda seems to be recognizing issues regarding Acura. The Honda CEO acknowledged the brand isn't doing as intended. So I presume the next step by the management is action.

For me, the TL and RL are ways off (maybe if I pass the CPA next year the TL might be a reality). So by the time I'm ready, hopefully they get it ready. This new I-DTEC intrigues, if its on the new TSX I'm down.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And the RL will take on the bad boys such as the LS460, 7 and S class.

I think Acura would be crazy to try and take on the LS, 7 and S class with the RL. Not because the RL is a bad car or anything, but because it can't even compete (sales wise) in it's current segment. What makes them think moving up market will bring more sales?

The major problem that I have with Acura is that you don't hear a damn thing from them throughout the year. I read car magazines every month I NEVER read anything about Acura. I swear, it seems like every other month or so, you'll read something about Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc., but no Acura. And then they wonder why they have the "image" problem that they have, because aside from current Acura/Honda owners, the brand doesn't exist.

I know that in certain parts of the country (Mid-west) people only know and drive American cars, but I've had SO many people tell me that my TL "looks really nice, what kind of car is that?". When I tell them it's an Acura TL they ALWAYS say, "I've never heard of Acura"
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Wow. If the "new corporate grille" is the one on the MDX, I'm not excited. That was the main thing I had to grit my teeth and look away from on my '07 MDX. It's just too "transformer/robot" looking for me. The current RL grille, OTOH, is classy-looking.

As for the 302 hp V-6, it's close to what I was predicting months ago (since it makes sense to use the new 3.7-liter). BUT ... I think it has to either have 325-330 hp OR be a secondary engine option to a V-8. I know many of you guys are happy enough with the current 290-horse engine, but the segment pretty much demands an 8.

Since this is a band-aid fix for 2009, I guess it's okay, provided the 2010 model does have a strong V-8. But until then, it isn't going to transform RL sales ... especially since most buyers will know a complete redesign is just around the corner. "Last-year" models just don't sell very well for that reason, whether they're gussied up or not.

I see 2009 as another slow year for the RL, with dealers praying that 2010 hurries up and gets here.

One last thought - if the TL is going to continue to be the show-stealer, a $70k RL is going to be even harder to sell. Ask yourself - are people going to buy in to the notion that the RL has "found itself" and is suddenly worth $20,000 more than it was? And worth as much as other $70k cars in the marketplace? Hmmm. Rotsa ruck.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Just got back from having the recall done. No scratches or dimples.

Here is what I got from the Internet Manager:

Coming in April!!!

'09 will have all new body panels with exception of two, which I would say is hood and roof.

The '09 will have the new corporate grill, which I think means MDX style.

Raised trunk with more room with BWM look for rear with revised exhaust outlets, which I think means four.

More wood in interior and big changes for audio and navi.

Only engine will be the 3.7L from MDX with 302 HP.

New lighting system probably with LEDs for DRL and parking.

'10 FMC will introduce a big, true luxury RL with V8 and Diesel.

Price of '10 RL will be $60K+ for base and around $70K for loaded model.

The '09 TL will be not have AWD until the begininng of 2009.

The '09 TL will be a rocket!
Is this the same guy who "confirmed" that it would have a V8? If so I would put it low on the credibility scale.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
Is this the same guy who "confirmed" that it would have a V8? If so I would put it low on the credibility scale.
No. This was the Internet Manager. He and some other salespersons are going to the Chicago Auto Show in a couple of weeks. I wonder why?

The info about the V8 came from May 2007 and if you read my original post he mentioned the 3rd Gen RL; not the MMC which the '09 will be now. Give the guy a break.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
^^^
We'll see what happens. It just seems any time I see the word "confirmed" here it seems to mean it won't actually happen.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Wow. If the "new corporate grille" is the one on the MDX, I'm not excited. That was the main thing I had to grit my teeth and look away from on my '07 MDX. It's just too "transformer/robot" looking for me. The current RL grille, OTOH, is classy-looking.
I thought the same thing. Have you seen pictures of the new Pilot? It has the Honda version of the shield.

As for the RL competing with the big boys. There is no way it will if Acura plans just modest improvements. They're going to have to increase the wheelbase, and add some significant content and power. They'll also have to improve and bring some consistency to the dealership experience if they want to be perceived as a competitor to Lexus.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Photoshop Request.

Can someone photo shop the MDX grille onto the RL?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM

I don't have PS, but here is a comparison.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Just thinking out loud about cars that have been given tweaks that have resulted in a real "freshening". At the moment, today's Mercedes E-Class looks like a very nice refresh. Maybe because it looks more RL-like. I sure see a lot of them, and I think the minor restyle was pretty successful.

In general, it looks like Honda is going with a 5-year model cycle. 3 years + a minor change for 2 more years. The last Accord had pretty extensive revisions for its last 2 years to keep it competitive (rear fenders, trunk, tail-lights, rear bumper, and front bumper). The RL sounds like its in for something a little more significant, but not unprecented for Honda even for only 2 more years.

I would love to see what 2009 parts and accessories might fit our machines.....

Rob144
Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Transformers.....more than meets the eye...
Transformers...robots in the sky...

That would've been a great product placement for the new Honda/Acura grilles.

Even so, the new corporate grille could make the RL look badassed. Put some angel eyes and eyelids on that puppy to complete the look. We may not be able to pass everybody, but we'd scare the s**t out of them!

I want somebody to photoshop the MDX grille onto an RL. Takers?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Wink Mercedes-Benz

Interesting: Not only are Ford & GM going to cut back on their v8s, it looks like Mercedes is gonna try to use their 4 cylinders. Maybe Acura was way ahead of the game when it came to the RL & TSX:

Mercedes-Benz Plans to Downsize Engines
The push by governments around the world for stricter emissions regulations for new cars has all carmakers, from mainstream makes like Toyota and GM all the way up to exclusive brands like Mercedes-Benz and even Ferrari, working on new methods to clean up their act. One trend we’ve already started to see is the downsizing of engines. Both Ford and GM, for example, are starting to phase out their big V8 engines in favor of more economical V6 engines. Mercedes on the other hand is developing new technologies to boost the output of its compact four-cylinder engine range – the Diesotto being the most recent development.

Mercedes development chief Thomas Weber expects to see the trend towards smaller engines continue, especially with fuel prices continuing to rise ever steeper. Speaking with AFX reporters during the Detroit Auto Show, Weber said Mercedes “will strongly force the trend in downsizing” – for both diesel and petrol models. He went on to claim the past decade’s trend for larger and more powerful engines would be sharply reversed – bold statements from an exec whose company seems intent on shoehorning a V8 engine into almost its entire lineup.

One of the first steps, Weber revealed, will be the use of A- and B-Class engines in the larger C-Class range. After that, three-cylinder turbocharged engines ranging from 1.4 – 1.6L in capacity are a very real possibility. We suspect if Mercedes can pull it off other luxury makes will follow suit.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the analysis of GM pouring $$ into Cadillac has made Honda realize that selling 180,000 cars under the Acura line doesn't cut it. Build a brand by adding models and separating from Honda...totally.

I think the RL can go upstream if they truly go after the LS, 7 and S Class. I have a 2005 RL and would definitely upgrade to a larger wheelbase RL if it costs $65K loaded.

IF they upstream everything....TSX = 3 series, TL = 5 series, RL = 7 series, then I can see the new 2010 larger RL selling 1100 units monthly or about 15000 yearly. Right around what the 7 series sells on a yearly basis . Its too logical.

With the diesels coming out and if Acura does get the $$$ to add a coupe and larger SUV, Honda could see some very large yearly volume coming from a revamped Acura lineup.

The key will be to deal with razor thin profits and build the brand through volume. Not hard considering Acura sold 180,000 vehicles with only 1 new model (MDX) and only 5 cars...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob

That would've been a great product placement for the new Honda/Acura grilles.

Even so, the new corporate grille could make the RL look badassed. Put some angel eyes and eyelids on that puppy to complete the look. We may not be able to pass everybody, but we'd scare the s**t out of them!

I want somebody to photoshop the MDX grille onto an RL. Takers?
Okay, here's one:

Doesn't look as bad as I thought!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM
AcurAdmirer

^^ Now, watch this start showing up on websites around the world!

Just remember - you saw it here first!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Ahem...

Isn't it?

Transformers...robots in diguise??
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by TSX69
Interesting: Not only are Ford & GM going to cut back on their v8s, it looks like Mercedes is gonna try to use their 4 cylinders. Maybe Acura was way ahead of the game when it came to the RL & TSX:

Mercedes-Benz Plans to Downsize Engines
The push by governments around the world for stricter emissions regulations for new cars has all carmakers, from mainstream makes like Toyota and GM all the way up to exclusive brands like Mercedes-Benz and even Ferrari, working on new methods to clean up their act. One trend we’ve already started to see is the downsizing of engines. Both Ford and GM, for example, are starting to phase out their big V8 engines in favor of more economical V6 engines. Mercedes on the other hand is developing new technologies to boost the output of its compact four-cylinder engine range – the Diesotto being the most recent development.

Mercedes development chief Thomas Weber expects to see the trend towards smaller engines continue, especially with fuel prices continuing to rise ever steeper. Speaking with AFX reporters during the Detroit Auto Show, Weber said Mercedes “will strongly force the trend in downsizing” – for both diesel and petrol models. He went on to claim the past decade’s trend for larger and more powerful engines would be sharply reversed – bold statements from an exec whose company seems intent on shoehorning a V8 engine into almost its entire lineup.

One of the first steps, Weber revealed, will be the use of A- and B-Class engines in the larger C-Class range. After that, three-cylinder turbocharged engines ranging from 1.4 – 1.6L in capacity are a very real possibility. We suspect if Mercedes can pull it off other luxury makes will follow suit.

Speaking as a car enthusiast, this kind of news saddens me. We saw it happen in the 70's when the (largely manufactured) "gas crisis" forced us down to 55mph max speeds on highways, sucked all the performance out of our engines, ushered in the itty-bitty economy car, and generally made cars no more fun.

This time, though, they've joined forces with the environmental movement, which has convinced many people we are our own worst enemies and that we're poisoning the earth and the air every time we start our cars.

If this goes the way it did 30 years ago, all I can say is enjoy your cars while you can, because they're soon to become about as entertaining as your refrigerator. It has taken us all this time to get back to having exciting, fun cars and I guess it just couldn't last.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Instructor

yeah, actually, I'm really feeling the shield grille on the RL
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by halfaznguy87
yeah, actually, I'm really feeling the shield grille on the RL
Me too! I think I like it better than the original grill. Thanks Mike!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Ahem...

Isn't it?

Transformers...robots in diguise??
is my friend. Children of the 80's unite! (raises hand)

Transformers...
More than meets the eye...
Autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of...
The Decepticons.
Transformers...
Robots in disguise.
Transformers...
More than meets the eye.
Transformers.

And I still think Acura could have scored some marketing points by placing their grille on the Transformers movie. Maybe they'll do it on the sequel, now that the HD format war is over and Michael Bay's beloved Blu-Ray won.

Back on topic...I liked your mockup of the new Acura grille on the RL, Mike. That actually doesn't look half bad.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Go Big Blue!

The MDX grill looks good to me. I must be a minority. Then again, the current RL grill looks good also. I guess I'm saying that the grill doesn't make or break the design for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

01/13/2008 - DETROIT - Acura will introduce the new i-DTEC clean diesel engine to the North American market in 2009. The i-DTEC engine reduces noxious exhaust emissions while boosting power and fuel efficiency. A combination of optimized combustion chamber design and reduced injection time results in a clean, quiet engine that delivers excellent performance for an enjoyable driving experience. In addition, the i-DTEC engine meets the ultra-stringent U.S. EPA Tier II Bin 5 emission standards without the on-board storage of urea.

The i-DTEC clean diesel engine is on display exclusively in the Acura booth at the North American International Auto Show and will be utilized in an Acura vehicle to be named at a later date.

---------------------------------

We all know it will be the 3G RL!?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, here's one:

Doesn't look as bad as I thought!

I love the MDX grille, I don't understand why people think it's so ugly. It has the same exact shape as every other Acura vehicle, it's just a flat shield instead of the open vent areas that the rest of the cars have. And the grille looks REALLY good on the RL by the way. Good photoshop job!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Go Big Blue!

For me the heavy use of contrasting colored plastic on the MDX "bumper" is what makes the design less then attractive. If they changed that effect I think the grill and the protruding nose would look fine to most people. Having said that, I still like the current RL's nose better. I'm dying to see the new design on this RL. I can't believe there's still no spy shots. Acura did a hell of a job keeping photos of the redesigned RL, TL, and TSX under raps.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
01/13/2008 - DETROIT - Acura will introduce the new i-DTEC clean diesel engine to the North American market in 2009. The i-DTEC engine reduces noxious exhaust emissions while boosting power and fuel efficiency. A combination of optimized combustion chamber design and reduced injection time results in a clean, quiet engine that delivers excellent performance for an enjoyable driving experience. In addition, the i-DTEC engine meets the ultra-stringent U.S. EPA Tier II Bin 5 emission standards without the on-board storage of urea.

The i-DTEC clean diesel engine is on display exclusively in the Acura booth at the North American International Auto Show and will be utilized in an Acura vehicle to be named at a later date.

---------------------------------

We all know it will be the 3G RL!?
Actually, the first i-DTEC diesel will be a four cylinder 2.2L. Pictures indicate it may also have a turbocharger.

I believe that this engine will be incorporated into the new TSX which is likely to follow the current formula (a European Accord). The diesel is already offered in the European Accord, though not the i-DTEC version. I read elsewhere that the i-DTEC will be offered in Europe before North America. So to me, it stands to reason that the first i-DTEC would be the new Acura TSX, not that much of a stretch.

The first Honda, that is a different story. It could be Accord or CR-V, which also says, maybe another Acura candidate could be the RDX, much criticized by many for poor gas mileage...at least it did not meet consumer expectations of "the gas mileage of a four with the power of a six" as advertised.

The i-DTEC V-6, which I imagine would go into the RL and/or TL, and MDX is supposed to come out in 2010, although I am sure, not all at once. They are still working on that one...

I am sure that same engine will drop into the Ridgeline and Pilot, and maybe even the Ody...all depends on how well the American consumer takes to diesel.

My two cents
Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Jeff from the TOV is confirming that the new RL will bow in Chicago. He further indicates that this was told to them months ago.

I have to admit.....now I can't wait to see what the new RL looks like. Will they take their cue from the enthusiast community (e.g. us)?

Here's hoping Acura has a big year...AND improves their marketing to keep it up next year!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Jeff from the TOV is confirming that the new RL will bow in Chicago. He further indicates that this was told to them months ago.

I have to admit.....now I can't wait to see what the new RL looks like. Will they take their cue from the enthusiast community (e.g. us)?

Here's hoping Acura has a big year...AND improves their marketing to keep it up next year!
neuronbob. when will be the Chicago auto show?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

In three weeks. Press preview is February 6-7 and that's likely when we'll read about the announced features of the RL.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Go Big Blue!

Early February

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Go Big Blue!

Sorry, we posted at the same time
Old 01-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Just think the show model is somewhere in the US right now in a truck; probably in Detroit if I were a betting man. Anyone here from Detroit know someone who can get a sneak peek, and some pics?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Just think the show model is somewhere in the US right now in a truck; probably in Detroit if I were a betting man. Anyone here from Detroit know someone who can get a sneak peek, and some pics?
I don't think it's in Detroit. The Temple of VTEC guys are there now and they would have been all over that release. I'll be there on Saturday myself, but don't expect to see the RL.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
AcurAdmirer

Spy shot!

Okay, here it is. This exclusive spy shot has leaked out of the Acura proving grounds, where the new 2009 RL has been undergoing extensive testing. Honda execs would be livid to know this photo has been made public, but my source feels that the public has a right to know.

What we know so far:

- The MDX-style grille is definitely being used on the RL's MMC, and it will apparently become the "new face of Acura".

- The new RL has undergone extensive restyling, with a shift toward more linear, angular, organic shapes. Acura will refer to it as a more "emotional" styling idiom. Look for this theme to be applied to future Acura products.

- The car is lighter and more compact, and has an open, airy greenhouse that is said to improve outward visibility by 20%. Interior space is improved through the use of thinner seatbacks, a higher roofline and a more upright windshield. Unfortunately, trunk space remains the same as the current model.

- The car's coefficient of drag has been improved through the use of narrower 150/75 tires and a taller stance, which combine with clever air routing to reduce the frontal surface area and facilitate the flow of air under and past the vehicle.

- An optional 70 hp 3-cylinder diesel will be available late next year, in addition to the standard 3.7-liter V-6 borrowed from the MDX.

- Only the inside truck emergency release handle and the little plug that covers the power outlet will be carried over from the current model.

Enjoy.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
AcurAdmirer

^ Okay, that's not true. I was just kidding.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
If you follow the link to that site, it shows only 3 manufacturers that will be deputing cars there. Audi, Dodge and Nissan. Acura is not listed. There is also a link for concept cars to be shown. Again, Acura is not listed as one of them.

What's the next show after Chicago? LA? When is it?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Okay, here it is. This exclusive spy shot has leaked out of the Acura proving grounds, where the new 2009 RL has been undergoing extensive testing. Honda execs would be livid to know this photo has been made public, but my source feels that the public has a right to know.

What we know so far:

- The MDX-style grille is definitely being used on the RL's MMC, and it will apparently become the "new face of Acura".

- The new RL has undergone extensive restyling, with a shift toward more linear, angular, organic shapes. Acura will refer to it as a more "emotional" styling idiom. Look for this theme to be applied to future Acura products.

- The car is lighter and more compact, and has an open, airy greenhouse that is said to improve outward visibility by 20%. Interior space is improved through the use of thinner seatbacks, a higher roofline and a more upright windshield. Unfortunately, trunk space remains the same as the current model.

- The car's coefficient of drag has been improved through the use of narrower 150/75 tires and a taller stance, which combine with clever air routing to reduce the frontal surface area and facilitate the flow of air under and past the vehicle.

- An optional 70 hp 3-cylinder diesel will be available late next year, in addition to the standard 3.7-liter V-6 borrowed from the MDX.

- Only the inside truck emergency release handle and the little plug that covers the power outlet will be carried over from the current model.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the pic. I will be ordering mine on Friday. Eat your hearts out.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, Mike. Step away from the computer.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:20 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
AFAIK it is not a debut, it's a restretch.

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)