2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by ishanb
Just an FYI...at the MacWorld Expo in San Francisco starting Jan 15 at the Moscone Center, Acura is going to have a large display of cars. Very odd, unless Apple and Acura are announcing some innovative collaboration. Might also preview the '09 RL. Here's to hoping...
A lot of RL owners ARE Mac owners, myself included.....hmmmm.....maybe this is the evolution in the navi we have been begging for....iPod info on the navi screen? I would hope that would go into the RL first.

I'm with those appreciating the tidy size of the current RL. Personally, I think the size is juuuuuuust riiiiiiiight. I'd like a different drivetrain, though. The J37 and 6AT would be great for starters! Will the RL join the 300 hp club (which I've already been a member of for almost a year )?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I can see the co-branding campaign now....

"In Real Life we have technology, luxury and performance. The Acura iRL."
Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We get to "blindly" order the 09 RL and TSX on Jan 18th!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Any major rebuilding. ie framework, seems unlikely to me, and would be unusual given this is a slow selling car, and most of the resources should be going to the all-new mainstays, TL and TSX.
I've never seen Acura or Honda throw good money after bad, esp on a 4-5 year old model. Minor, lower cost tweaks make sense, but given an all new RL soon, all this is very unHonda-like.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Any major rebuilding. ie framework, seems unlikely to me, and would be unusual given this is a slow selling car, and most of the resources should be going to the all-new mainstays, TL and TSX.
I've never seen Acura or Honda throw good money after bad, esp on a 4-5 year old model. Minor, lower cost tweaks make sense, but given an all new RL soon, all this is very unHonda-like.
If they don't do much in the way of physical changes, then I'm going to guess that they make the front seats thinner and push the rear seat further back to enhance legroom. Maybe they tweak the rear end for more trunk space (doing something like they did for the last 2 years of the previous Accord where they tweaked the rear end and left everything else pretty much the same). They tweaked the last RL for its MMC with a new hood, new trunk, and new lights and bumpers to complete its 8 year model run.

They'll have to do something under the hood for more power, and possibly a new tranny.

Rob144
Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I tend to agree. I was initially hoping this was a full redesign coming early due to the fact that the RL is a poor seller. However, it just looks like a drastic MMC (for the same reasons). Therefore, let's not expect too much and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.. No matter what they do it will probably be a good idea. Anything would be a better then the status quo. Most of us like the RL mainly as it is. But, we are clearly a minority.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.7l engine

"In order to maintain the difference (of the RL) from the now similarly-sized inspire, the car theu uniquely scooped in Dec-07 gets a 200cc capacity increase (to 3.7).
They have established the reason that the Legend was designed rather mid-sized is to retain handling wieldiness; that was the nub of the car, being first to introduce SH-AWD as a new Honda concept."

http://www.mag-x.com/f-contents/0802/index.html

btw this is from the TOV forum..
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Race Director

Wow thats intesting, too bad I cant read that since I can barely speak english.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I tend to agree. I was initially hoping this was a full redesign coming early due to the fact that the RL is a poor seller. However, it just looks like a drastic MMC (for the same reasons). Therefore, let's not expect too much and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.. No matter what they do it will probably be a good idea. Anything would be a better then the status quo. Most of us like the RL mainly as it is. But, we are clearly a minority.
For the car that it was, and I was never a big fan of it, the much speculated upon 2G RL MMC is exactly what Acura did with the 1G RL, which hung on for almost 10 years. I think the 1999 1G RL MMC they did really improved the 1996 version, and although not as drastic, the 2002 refresh did it again.

Let us hope they really deliver with a 3G RL in 2010 or whenever. I can just see the Japanese Acura debut being delayed once again by the halo car NSX redesign, and that affecting the 3G RL (or would that be 5G Legend?)
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Chas2
Let us hope they really deliver with a 3G RL in 2010 or whenever. I can just see the Japanese Acura debut being delayed once again by the halo car NSX redesign, and that affecting the 3G RL (or would that be 5G Legend?)
I would agree with this. The launch of the Acura brand in Japan and elsewhere (Europe) would have more impact with the launch of the new flagship. Acura understands the LEGEND is too much car for the Honda brand. Getting the ducks in order to get the brand introduced and launch the next gen as Acura RL would be less confusing that simply calling the current gen car LEGEND one year and RL the next.

2010 - 2011 is the current target for Acura Japan and some European markets. I expect to see the net gen FMC RL in that timeframe. Likewise, launching the halo NSX would certainly bring buzz, recognition and hopefully interest to the Acura brand. Let's hope it all flies in the US as well.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

Food for thought

In this morning's Washington Post, a little one liner tid bit that must have Honda execs squirming...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0303939_2.html

GM Drops Planned V-8 Engine
"General Motors canceled a $300 million program to build an advanced V-8 engine for luxury vehicles, citing rising oil prices and tighter fuel economy restrictions. Production was to have begun in 2009."

or maybe not...GM has a V-8, albeit an old, though very highly refined pushrod design, and Honda does not (assuming you don't count racing engines).

And then this other article from yesterday...you know Honda must be looking over its shoulder at Hyundai, especially with the announced Genesis RWD V-8 luxury sedan, and now this...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010301106.html

"...Ford Motor Co. named Tata Motors Ltd. the top bidder for its Jaguar and Land Rover brands Thursday and entered into "focused negotiations at a more detailed level," meaning Tata was named preferred bidder for the storied British automakers..."

Somewhat ironic that the old colonies are passing around two of the quintessential brands that epitomized mother England's famous motoring heritage.

The new RL has to be a knockout or the Acura competition may be from a whole different sector of value luxury brands.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Interesting times we live in.

As much as we often criticize Honda for what that have not done, I am very, very happy with what that have done with this RL. I find myself vacillating between being excited for what the next RL holds and just being happy with I have (and secretly wishing the next RL will be fugly or simply not worthy of my temptation).
Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Interesting times we live in.

As much as we often criticize Honda for what that have not done, I am very, very happy with what that have done with this RL. I find myself vacillating between being excited for what the next RL holds and just being happy with I have (and secretly wishing the next RL will be fugly or simply not worthy of my temptation).
LOL. That's the trouble with progress ... it keeps you looking ahead, always expecting better things.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

In this morning's Washington Post, a little one liner tid bit that must have Honda execs squirming...
I don't think Honda execs are squirming at all. I think it's more likely that they are saying "I told you so! Nannynannybooboo!" as they are continuing to produce high-output, large-displacement V6s and are considering diesels in the U.S. instead of considering V8s.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by neuronbob
A lot of RL owners ARE Mac owners, myself included.....hmmmm.....maybe this is the evolution in the navi we have been begging for....iPod info on the navi screen? I would hope that would go into the RL first.

I'm with those appreciating the tidy size of the current RL. Personally, I think the size is juuuuuuust riiiiiiiight. I'd like a different drivetrain, though. The J37 and 6AT would be great for starters! Will the RL join the 300 hp club (which I've already been a member of for almost a year )?
Amen, bro. The RL appeals to the technically literate. Ironic, though, that we Mac users don't even have the ability to plug in an iPod on the 2006 RL.

+1 on the current size. Perfect. Any bigger and it would feel like a boat to me.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by VOdoc
Amen, bro. The RL appeals to the technically literate. Ironic, though, that we Mac users don't even have the ability to plug in an iPod on the 2006 RL.

+1 on the current size. Perfect. Any bigger and it would feel like a boat to me.
Not an apple or ipos user myself (Sandisk Sansa for me!)...

But +1 on the RL's size. Welcome to Bob's Goldylocks Club were it feels juuuuuust riiiiiiiiiight.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Racer

+3 on the size.. It's just right.

Any larger it becomes a straight luxury sedan ie. LS,S vs. a luxury sedan with a tingle of sport ie. BMW 5, MB E class, which is what I consider it right now..
Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
AcurAdmirer

Ironic, though, that we Mac users don't even have the ability to plug in an iPod on the 2006 RL.
Hey, VOdoc - I thought that little "AUX" input on the front inside edge of the console was for that. I never got the pigtail to try my iPod with it, but can't you use that to play the iPod through the sound system?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Ironic, though, that we Mac users don't even have the ability to plug in an iPod on the 2006 RL.
Well, there IS the small matter of Acura Music Link. It's not an ideal solution because of the lack of ergonomics, but it does allow this '06 owner to listen to my iPod in my car. The sound quality is quite good, too! If you're so inclined, you can still find it, but the Dice or USASpec devices frankly are much better.

That said, I'd prefer the center console port that's in 2007s and later, and which pretty much made Music Link obsolete.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by White92
We get to "blindly" order the 09 RL and TSX on Jan 18th!
Please keep us informed of any new info you get when ordering.

Also, once you place an order, it's typically about 2 to 3 months till you receive the cars???
Old 01-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Please keep us informed of any new info you get when ordering.

Also, once you place an order, it's typically about 2 to 3 months till you receive the cars???
Will do. It's probably closer to 2 months.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Cruisin'

Interesting - for those talking about a V8 option for the RL:

Looks like Cadillac is moving away from V8s due to the new CAFE standards.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/07/a...-off-the-menu/
Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by up_late

It would be funny if Honda went against the grain and came out with an efficient V8 while other manufacturers were running away from them.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:34 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by up_late

This has been mis-reported to some extent. GM had planned a new OHC V-8 to replace their pushrod engines (and enter the 21st Century). But the new CAFE standards have indeed thrown a monkey wrench into the works for everyone. 35mpg across a mfr's entire fleet is unrealistic, and GM wasn't about to spend billions on engine development and construction of a new plant under that cloud of doubt.

By comparison, the RL's V-6 is at the low end of acceptability in terms of mpg. It is EPA rated exactly the same as the 380hp V-8 in my new Lexus LS460. But Honda has a wide range of small cars with 4-cyl engines to help it make the overall 35mpg average, whereas GM doesn't have enough small car sales to allow it to meet the average. Under those circumstances, throwing money into a new engine of any kind that isn't a real fuel-sipper is just bad business. They need to spend that money on their 4-cylinder, diesel and alternative-fuel engines.

The future for car enthusiasts isn't bright, unless you like the Japanese/European formula of little lightweight cars with little engines souped up with turbos and superchargers.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The future for car enthusiasts isn't bright, unless you like the Japanese/European formula of little lightweight cars with little engines souped up with turbos and superchargers.
Like the Ariel Atom ....supercharged Honda engine in Europe, supercharged GM Ecotec 2.0L in North America. This video is the UK version, and highly entertaining!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA
Old 01-07-2008, 05:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Like the Ariel Atom ....supercharged Honda engine in Europe, supercharged GM Ecotec 2.0L in North America. This video is the UK version, and highly entertaining!
That's hilarious!!! Great video!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Racer

hahaha
tata buying jag.
bunch of fobs running jaguar, i can see it now, decorative tissue box in evry new car.
dont call me racist, i am brown myself.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

That is a great clip! I love Top Gear. OT, but a delight nevertheless. I want one!

Back on topic.....Ford is also going to be emphasizing high-po V6s as well.

Honda was obviously ahead of the trend (as usual) with the RL.....luxury cars with high-po V6s. Maybe Honda was too far ahead. I'm positive Honda execs are looking at this news and saying..."I told you so!"
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Safety Car

Now they need to work a direct injection version of the venerable J series, or come out with something along those lines, and with a new transmission. Venerable, what am I talking about. The GM V-8s, now that's venerable!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
While the '09 RL might have a larger 3.7L V6 instead of the V8 now, I would bet that the '10 will have a turbo diesel or turbo V6 in the RL.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Kang Ho

That is a funny clip. That car is amazingly fast.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shubysingh
hahaha
tata buying jag.
bunch of fobs running jaguar, i can see it now, decorative tissue box in evry new car.
dont call me racist, i am brown myself.
hahahah you nailed that one.

team brown in the house
Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Acura/Honda Watch Out -- Hyundai Genesis

Just saw this on the Hyundai Genesis. This must have all the Japanese luxury brands worried...it really looks the part of a rear wheel drive luxury sedan. I hope the MMC RL can hold the line until the FMC comes out, and then it had better be a pretty good FMC....that is, unless Honda has other plans for the conspicuous consumption luxury market...Honda always has an interesting spin on things...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/d...kes-things-up/

4.6L 368 hp V-8 runs on 87 octane and is paired with ZF tranny.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
A Saitama Garage

It looks nice, but it's a Hyundai at the end of the day. I remember growing up, my dad bought a Hyunda once, we had it a whole week before the motor blew out. Once fixed, the transmission blew a short while later. Perhaps we had a bad experience w/Hyundai's and that things have changed...but it's just not worth it to me.

The car has a nice look to it - kinda looks like the new MB C-Class on the front end.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Just saw this on the Hyundai Genesis. This must have all the Japanese luxury brands worried...it really looks the part of a rear wheel drive luxury sedan. I hope the MMC RL can hold the line until the FMC comes out, and then it had better be a pretty good FMC....that is, unless Honda has other plans for the conspicuous consumption luxury market...Honda always has an interesting spin on things...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/d...kes-things-up/

4.6L 368 hp V-8 runs on 87 octane and is paired with ZF tranny.
The thing I don't get about all of the Hyundai Genesis hype is this: if VW wasn't successful moving upscale with a car like the Phaeton and Acura has had issues moving up with the RL, why do people think that Hyundai will be successful moving the brand up? Sure, the car starts "under $30,000" but the V8 fully loaded with Nav and all the tech in the article will obviously be a +$40,000 car, which puts it squarely in the Acura/Audi/Infiniti/Lexus/BMW/MB demographic. It's an attractive car (and MB may have some IP issues with that front grille) but I don't see too many people shelling out that kind of $ for a Hyundai.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Detroit dismissed the Japanese for the same reasons back in the '70s and look what that got them.

Like the Japanese, the Koreans are learning from their mistakes. Something Detroit has been unable (or unwilling) to do, until hopefully now.

The Koreans will be a serious player in the future.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Detroit dismissed the Japanese for the same reasons back in the '70s and look what that got them.

Like the Japanese, the Koreans are learning from their mistakes. Something Detroit has been unable (or unwilling) to do, until hopefully now.

The Koreans will be a serious player in the future.
I agree. I will certainly check this car out, as our RL lease will be up about that time. In the past, when I closely looked at a Hyundai, I have found where they save money building their cars, they cut cornors where you normally don't look or care. Depending on the price with all the options, this one might be very interesting. I have no problem with Hyundai reliability,and I am sure they will off the 10 year power train warranty.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

That's impressive-looking. I'm not crazy about the instrument panel/dash, but it's a pretty darn good-looking car overall.

And for people who think Hyundai is the modern-day Yugo, just go drive a new Santa Fe or Veracruz or Sonata. They're well-built, well-designed cars that drive nice and are real value players.

I fully expect the Genesis to be a big success, as long as people aren't too narrow-minded to accept it.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
office monkey

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything Hyundai did to the interior/exterior design that they didn't take from another brand.

I know and accept all the companies copy form each other but this seems ridiculous to me. This car is a Mr Potato creation or Lexus, BMW, MB, Acura, and Infiniti styling cues. The only thing they did was take the diff design cues and either move them around (ie like the Acura control knob being thrown where BMW's idrive is) or slightly tweak them like taking the dash lines from a MB S class, making them a bit less smooth and combining that with the M's center console. The car's rear is pure BMW while the front screams Lexus/MB to me.

Sheesh. I could see the exterior design cues being copied from other brands since all brands seem to have so many similarities but couldn't Hyundai designers have designed their own unique interior? Pathetic.

All the power to hyundai and I am sure the car may sell well but I'll support companies that offer a teense more originality.

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)