2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rexorg
My good buddy at my Acura dealership confirmed the 3rd gen RL will indeed have a V8 (330-340 HP?) and finally be a full-size luxury car. Also, the new TL will really be a stunner when it comes out. He said the TL will borrow a lot from the new Accord as far as styling and be really fast (under 6.0 seconds), but probably with the addition of a modified SH-AWD system to handle all the torque of a new engine.

My buddy told me at his dealership the MDX and TL Type-S are really hot and that the RL is holding its own. However, the RDX is not doing too well since size matters and must buyers want the added room of the MDX.
My money says no V8 in the 09 Model.
My friend at Acura says the only change for 09 is a slightly changed grill.

Bet dinner/lunch?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
What's with the backwards "N" in the reflection on the windshield?
It is not backwards. The reflection is upside down. It is a mirror effect. But backward only works when the reflection is across / opposite from the reflection.

This one appears upside down since the reflection is from the image above and you are looking at both the image and the reflection from the same angle.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
It is not backwards. The reflection is upside down. It is a mirror effect. But backward only works when the reflection is across / opposite from the reflection.

This one appears upside down since the reflection is from the image above and you are looking at both the image and the reflection from the same angle.
Danged if you aren't right. I had to go into my image editor and flip it and warp it to see what was going on.

What threw me was that the "L" isn't completely in the picture, and since the "G" is closed up due to the distortion, I thought it was right-side-up!

Had me going there for a minute!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL

Interesting thread in TOV..

Apparently the 09TL 3.7 SHAWD is going to be bigger than the current 09 MMC RL' until the new bigger V8 11'RL comes out. Ouch!
Also, he seems to be describing a lot of styling clues from the Sports4 Concept (new TL)

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...item_id=757946
Old 05-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

The looks of the 4G TL is being kept under much tighter wraps this time than it was for the 3G. By this time prior to the 3G TL's release, we knew what it looked like as the concept had been released at the NY Auto Show that April.

I will believe nothing until official release.

Back on topic....

I wonder if the RL's schnoz has been changed prior to its re-release?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Well, by the looks of it, if anything will change, it'll be that the grill has been moved forward to meet up with the headlights.

However, since the Honda Legend HAS been released with the same design, and the headlights and hood don't match up, i'm going to say that it probably hasn't changed..unless they do something really super quick....as much as it would be good for the hood to come up to align itself properly....don't count on it.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
Well, by the looks of it, if anything will change, it'll be that the grill has been moved forward to meet up with the headlights.

However, since the Honda Legend HAS been released with the same design, and the headlights and hood don't match up, i'm going to say that it probably hasn't changed..unless they do something really super quick....as much as it would be good for the hood to come up to align itself properly....don't count on it.
I agree with you on both counts. The broken line across the top of the grill and headlights is the most offensive part of that front end to me. However, I don't think there's a snowball's-chance-in-hell that it will be changed before release in June.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced

In all, it looks like a committee fixed something that wasn't broke to begin with...

2 years later I STILL get complements on this car. I was pulling out of a parking space and I could see the guy in the car two spaces down mouth the words "Nice Car" as I backed out. I had to smile.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Motown2006RL
In all, it looks like a committee fixed something that wasn't broke to begin with...

2 years later I STILL get complements on this car. I was pulling out of a parking space and I could see the guy in the car two spaces down mouth the words "Nice Car" as I backed out. I had to smile.
I get compliments as well. I took my RL to one of our weekly S2k get-togethers and it was oohed and ahed over. Even better, one of the other S owners' other ride is an RL, which he happened to drive that day. Do you realize how uncommon it is to have TWO RLs in the same parking lot, that's not a dealership?

I appreciate how handsome my car is on a daily basis.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Advanced

considering trading in my 05 tl for a 08 RL. Hopefully before the new role out.

on cars.com price with tech package is down to 40.5k which seems a good deal considering.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Senior Moderator

I'd say that was a fabulous deal. Jump on that if you are interested.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I get compliments as well. I took my RL to one of our weekly S2k get-togethers and it was oohed and ahed over. Even better, one of the other S owners' other ride is an RL, which he happened to drive that day. Do you realize how uncommon it is to have TWO RLs in the same parking lot, that's not a dealership?

I appreciate how handsome my car is on a daily basis.
Yeah-you sure don't see yourself coming and going in an RL, do ya?
BTW, weird moment: I was pulling into a parking garage in Suburban Michigan and searching for a space that wasn't reserved when I came upon RL after RL parked in rows. Ends up the local dealer parks their overflow there. I nosed in between two of them and blended right in. That will never happen again based on the sales numbers Acura posts on this model.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tommyz
considering trading in my 05 tl for a 08 RL. Hopefully before the new role out.

on cars.com price with tech package is down to 40.5k which seems a good deal considering.

Any thoughts?
That seems almost too low, even with the $4000 cash to dealer, considering the invoice price of $45520, bare bones cost to dealer is $41520. The only way it can go lower would be if it were a demo with mileage or the dealer is dipping into it's holdback incentive, which represents their last chance at any form of profit on the vehicle. Too good to be true comes to mind. Last word of advice, don't lease the 08, the money factor/residual is definitely not favorable, Acura obviously wants people to buy these last 08 RL, not lease them. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
That seems almost too low, even with the $4000 cash to dealer, considering the invoice price of $45520, bare bones cost to dealer is $41520. The only way it can go lower would be if it were a demo with mileage or the dealer is dipping into it's holdback incentive, which represents their last chance at any form of profit on the vehicle. Too good to be true comes to mind. Last word of advice, don't lease the 08, the money factor/residual is definitely not favorable, Acura obviously wants people to buy these last 08 RL, not lease them. Good luck.
try it CARSdirect.com enter in info. It is regional but when did both of my TL's i usually got a few hundred dollars below carsdirect.com

I picked the tech package btw
Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tommyz
try it CARSdirect.com enter in info. It is regional but when did both of my TL's i usually got a few hundred dollars below carsdirect.com

I picked the tech package btw
I believe what you found, I recently was in negotiations with my dealer for an 08 RL Tech, trading in my 05, so I'm up on all the numbers as mentioned. If you indeed can get a non-demo RL Tech for $40.5 then I would grab it. That is a phenomenal deal, bar none.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Can next Monday really be the one year anniversary of this thread? Time flies . . . .

Well, if you follow any of the other boards on this site, especially the RDX, you will note that I am in the market for an '09 RDX as soon as they are released--hopefully in June. While I love my RL it just doesn't have the versatility of the RDX, which the wife and I need when traveling. The RL's trunk is just too small for all our stuff when we head to FL for our winter getaway. Also, it's almost two years since I first leased the RL and I have new car fever badly.

I called my dealership and the sales rep I talked to said $27,000 (dealer is selling a couple certified '06s at $36K) would probably be tops for my trade even with only 24,800 miles and excellent condition in the Black Book. Ouch!!! I will have paid over $42,000 on the RL when I pay it off. That's a big hit for only two years of ownership. I know I could try to sell it myself, but where I live old SUVs and minivans are the vehicles of choice.

I'll still be around this board to see what's what with the '09 RL and beyond, and who knows I might own another RL, or whatever replaces it, in the future. You're a great bunch of guys and have really enjoyed my almost two years here.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Go Big Blue!

Can next Monday really be the one year anniversary of this thread? Time flies . . . .

Well, if you follow any of the other boards on this site, especially the RDX, you will note that I am in the market for an '09 RDX as soon as they are released--hopefully in June. While I love my RL it just doesn't have the versatility of the RDX, which the wife and I need when traveling. The RL's trunk is just too small for all our stuff when we head to FL for our winter getaway. Also, it's almost two years since I first leased the RL and I have new car fever badly.

I called my dealership and the sales rep I talked to said $27,000 (dealer is selling a couple certified '06s at $36K) would probably be tops for my trade even with only 24,800 miles and excellent condition in the Black Book. Ouch!!! I will have paid over $42,000 on the RL when I pay it off. That's a big hit for only two years of ownership. I know I could try to sell it myself, but where I live old SUVs and minivans are the vehicles of choice.

I'll still be around this board to see what's what with the '09 RL and beyond, and who knows I might own another RL, or whatever replaces it, in the future. You're a great bunch of guys and have really enjoyed my almost two years here.
You sell a car in the first 2 years then you're going to take a bath. Any car. Since it's a lease, you're probably in trouble even if you keep it 3 years (unless you put substantial money down).

Good luck Rexorg, but see if you can scratch that itch another way if money is an issue. Hold on for another year and it won't be so bad.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Racer

I will agree, time flies. Maybe I didn't understand your post. I have a 3 year lease on an 05 RL and my total payments for the 3 yr term is $21K, that was with no money down and includes the tax!! How will you pay $42000?? Are you planning on getting out of lease early, buying it and then trading it for a loss?? The solution is to obviously take something for the fever and run the lease out!!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Motown2006RL
Yeah-you sure don't see yourself coming and going in an RL, do ya?
BTW, weird moment: I was pulling into a parking garage in Suburban Michigan and searching for a space that wasn't reserved when I came upon RL after RL parked in rows. Ends up the local dealer parks their overflow there. I nosed in between two of them and blended right in. That will never happen again based on the sales numbers Acura posts on this model.

Whereabouts are you in SE Michigan?

If you see another CGP RL around, it may just be me!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
AcurAdmirer

I will agree, time flies. Maybe I didn't understand your post. I have a 3 year lease on an 05 RL and my total payments for the 3 yr term is $21K, that was with no money down and includes the tax!! How will you pay $42000?? Are you planning on getting out of lease early, buying it and then trading it for a loss?? The solution is to obviously take something for the fever and run the lease out!!
Agreed. In fact, I traded my leased TL after about, what, 18 months I think, and it was worth enough as a trade to pay off my lease. Ditto for my leased RL after 2 years.

I took it in the neck for my 6-month-old MDX, but I got enough discount on my LS460 to cover it.

Rex, the trade-in value on your RL sounds about right, since my '06 brought about $31k back in December. But the payoff on your lease shouldn't be much more than that ... right?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Racer

Agreed. In fact, I traded my leased TL after about, what, 18 months I think, and it was worth enough as a trade to pay off my lease. Ditto for my leased RL after 2 years.

I took it in the neck for my 6-month-old MDX, but I got enough discount on my LS460 to cover it.

Rex, the trade-in value on your RL sounds about right, since my '06 brought about $31k back in December. But the payoff on your lease shouldn't be much more than that ... right?

That is definitely good to be able to get out of lease in that fashion. Unfortunately, trade in values these days are not even close to the residuals when you get to the end of 05 leases. My residual of $29300 made for a great monthly payment on a lease, but the downside of that is you can't get out of the lease by using trade in dollars. My trade in value is closer to $25000 with 32k mileage. Lease variables and current market value dictate, in my case, I will walk away from my lease when done. Whether I bought or leased the vehicle, with the deal that I got, that $21k is gone, either through lease payments or depreciation on a purchase, it doesn't matter what way you look at it. It is the price of driving an awesome $50k car!!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

I first leased ($537/mo) my RL in June of '06 and then bought it in August of 2007 for $35K as I was eating up the miles at the time. Buy back was supposed to be $29K in 2009. It's only money afterall.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I first leased ($537/mo) my RL in June of '06 and then bought it in August of 2007 for $35K as I was eating up the miles at the time. Buy back was supposed to be $29K in 2009. It's only money afterall.
Money is not an issue. If fact, the RDX will be the 36th vehicle I have leased/purchased since 1968.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Go Big Blue!

Money is not an issue. If fact, the RDX will be the 36th vehicle I have leased/purchased since 1968.
So I guess you get that "new car fever" you talked about quite often.

Hey, life is short and your dead a long time (as my grandma used to say). Enjoy the RDX and don't look back
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Racer

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarification. Absolutely, enjoy RDX. I can only hope I own 38 cars before the party is over!!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 PM
AcurAdmirer

This is not specifically RL, but I think it's RL-RELATED:

I just got back from an introduction party for the 2009 TSX, and I'm impressed. To the extent the TSX is upgraded, which signals how much the TL will be upgraded ... which in turn signals something about the next-gen RL, I think things are headed in the right direction.

The new TSX is bigger - seemingly about the size (at least inside) of the current TL. The interior materials, the fit and finish and the interior styling all were leaps and bounds ahead of the '08 TSX, and IMO superior to the current TL. The Nav has weather, although it's not as advanced as I had hoped XM Weather might be, and I was told the Nav system is a generation ahead of the current RL in terms of speed, capabilities and VR. Even the XM radio has features not on the RL.

If the Nav/SAT radio/VR, etc. on the lowly TSX is ahead of the current RL, I can only assume the next-gen RL will be killer.

In summary, the TSX looks more muscular compared to the '08, is much nicer inside, it rides and handles better, it's quieter, and is generally more comfortable and richer-feeling than its predecessor. Just a far better car in all respects, IMO. Sure, it still has a 4-cylinder, but you notice that only at idle, and it is surprisingly peppy and agile.

I'm not in the market for a TSX, but I do think it foretells some of the improvements in store for the next-gen RL, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in 2010.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

sorry mike, but you don't seem like the the TSX type of person...go figure.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

I just got back from an introduction party for the 2009 TSX, and I'm impressed. To the extent the TSX is upgraded, which signals how much the TL will be upgraded ... which in turn signals something about the next-gen RL, I think things are headed in the right direction.

The new TSX is bigger - seemingly about the size (at least inside) of the current TL. The interior materials, the fit and finish and the interior styling all were leaps and bounds ahead of the '08 TSX, and IMO superior to the current TL. The Nav has weather, although it's not as advanced as I had hoped XM Weather might be, and I was told the Nav system is a generation ahead of the current RL in terms of speed, capabilities and VR. Even the XM radio has features not on the RL.

If the Nav/SAT radio/VR, etc. on the lowly TSX is ahead of the current RL, I can only assume the next-gen RL will be killer.

In summary, the TSX looks more muscular compared to the '08, is much nicer inside, it rides and handles better, it's quieter, and is generally more comfortable and richer-feeling than its predecessor. Just a far better car in all respects, IMO. Sure, it still has a 4-cylinder, but you notice that only at idle, and it is surprisingly peppy and agile.

I'm not in the market for a TSX, but I do think it foretells some of the improvements in store for the next-gen RL, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in 2010.

Ihad my RL in for regular service (B16) earlier this week, and when I went to pick itup, I stopped in the showroom and took an up close look at the TSX.

I have to agree with you Mike. I was very impressed with the overall improvements in the vehicle, both outside, but ESPECIALLY inside.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
sorry mike, but you don't seem like the the TSX type of person...go figure.
LOL. No, I'm not. That's why I finished up my post above by saying that I am not in the market for one.

But I'm a car nut, and I take every opportunity to check out everything within reason just to see what's going on. And I'm still an Acura fan.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the new TSX this weekend. My impressions are a bit more mixed than yours. It had all kinds of smart details (for example, a little cubby next to the drivers foot to hold a wallet). But, a few issues didn't work for me:

1) I know this is an Acura wide issue, but I think it is a shame that TSX did away with the touch screen. That I-drive like knob in the middle just seems kind of cluky.

2) The texture on the dashboard, which apparently is supposed to simulate leather, is just plain strange and ugly.

3) The leather on the seats, as in my 2004 TSX, is a little thin.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Back to topic, after seeing the spy pics of the new TL, I think Acura's MMC RL is in trouble.

-The 3.7 TL with SH-AWD looks as big if not bigger than the MMC RL.
-Newer, better integrated FMC design (subjective)
-Pricewise the top of the line TL will most-likely be around 40K-42K
-Acura will probably keep the cooled seats, adaptative front-lights, CBMS for
the RL, however I can definitely see it loosing sales to the TL. Without the advantage of SH-AWD and bigger engine, it will be tough.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Racer

I have a tl and rl and at first I thought the touch screen was cool and better, but now that I have the RL with the wheel mouse, I prefer it much better. It is cleaner and easier to use..
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cai06
Back to topic, after seeing the spy pics of the new TL, I think Acura's MMC RL is in trouble.

-The 3.7 TL with SH-AWD looks as big if not bigger than the MMC RL.
-Newer, better integrated FMC design (subjective)
-Pricewise the top of the line TL will most-likely be around 40K-42K
-Acura will probably keep the cooled seats, adaptative front-lights, CBMS for
the RL, however I can definitely see it loosing sales to the TL. Without the advantage of SH-AWD and bigger engine, it will be tough.
Actually, posters on the TL board who work for Honda/Acura confirm that the TL will get cooled seats. I also think it is unlikely that a TL approaches 40 grand.

That said, there is no way that the TL will have that work-of-an-art interior that you find in the RL.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by darth62
Actually, posters on the TL board who work for Honda/Acura confirm that the TL will get cooled seats. I also think it is unlikely that a TL approaches 40 grand.

That said, there is no way that the TL will have that work-of-an-art interior that you find in the RL.
The 08'TL Type-S, which is FWD and has a 3.5 engine is already 38.4K MSRP, if you add SHAWD, a 3.7 engine, and extra gadgets, I can easily see it going north of 40K.
I agree the base model may be ~35K, but remember the TSX tech is already pushing 32K. The RL interior is the best in its class IMO, however probably not enough more to justify a 5K premium (?) over a TL with the same powerplant/drivetrain.. just speculating.

Just my
Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Holy Thread Revival!

I was reading this thread to recount some of our speculations and anticipations from the last RL change (2009 MMC).

Interesting how much of our speculations were on target, and where we were off base. Some of us 'old timers' will recognize these great conversations.

Now with the RL(X) on the horizon, much of it applies to what we are now seeing in this concept. Further, the Honda Dual Note / Acura DNX concept from 2002 introduced many features in our RL and the SHAWD hybrid drivetrain finally in the RL(X).

Now who has that crystal ball?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
You can't call thread revival when you're the one who bumped it.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I can. And I did.