2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:51 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by bkw
Hey Mike, how are you liking your new LS460? Read your review, are you still in the honeymoon phase?

We traded in our 06 LS430 last year for the MDX (which was then totalled), but with this announcement I'm quite sure that the LS460 will be my wifes new car next summer.
Hi, BK - The LS is undoubtedly an excellent car, and I'm happy with it so far. I could of course change a few things about it ( ), but isn't that always the case?

At least I DID change the navi lockout by installing an electronic hack, so now I can use it while moving. Still, it's no match for the Acura nav, which I just find more entertaining and useful.

The power is awesome, and I find that as satisfying as anything. But the little touches (brake hold, power door closers, excellent proximity system, etc., etc.) are also easy to like.

And after seeing the design direction Honda/Acura is taking, I may be drifting back to Infiniti for my next car!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:51 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
So you don't like the grill do you?
Am I that transparent?

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Someone must like it? Could it be unanimous? Someone speak up if they like the grill. Bob, maybe you should add a poll to this
I actually think it is somewhat fixable by toning it down a bit.

Has anyone done a side by said..

Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

On that red car, is the pinkish-red outline of the taillights just an artifact of the flashgun used to take the picture, or is it actually a two-toned tail light?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Who designed that grille? Are they freaking kidding. Is it me or did somebody in Japan want to kill off this car with that design. Everything else looks good.

Acura just made the Hyundai Genesis an instant success. Sorry for the downtrodden comments, but I am very, very disappointed.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was hoping this car would be insanely nice so i could pick up an older 2007 for maybe a better price but wow....i'm actually so disappointed...

But the Ronjon wheels made it look really good at the same time, but oh man...i think i'm going to cry.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Apparently Dick Colliver wants people to be able to see the car from a distance and immediately recognize it as an Acura. What they will actually be thinking is "Look at that ugly @ss Acura!"

And did anyone catch the picture of Dick at the Chicago Auto Show? He looks like a used car salesman. He'll be an unemployed car salesman within 2 years at this rate.

There is no comparison between this grill and the MDX shield grill when it first came out. The MDX design was new and edgy, but at least fit with the car. This thing just looks tacked on.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Still no push button start?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Am I that transparent?
I just don't want you guys to hold in your true feelings. You might "bust a blood vessel" as my grandmother used to say
Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Angry

My Office Assistant just asked me which client has me so riled up...

I asked her to find out how much a plane ticket to Torrance will be.

I need Happy Hour. If I get home before close of business, Pacific Time, I am likely to make a phone call.

It would not be pretty.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Racer

I have an 2008 MDX. the grille on that car looks great. Edgey and fits the car nicely.

I just can't believe somebody actually ok'd this car. Its really a pitty for Acura. For once, they had a chance to make a name for themselves in the mid-luxo market. Now all Hyundai has to do is discount the Genesis and the Honda will exit the mid-luxo market for good. In a few years when I get rid of my 2005 RL, I will definitely be looking elsewhere. At least they didn't screw up my wife's 2008 MDX.

I just can't believe somebody actually said, "this car will sell like hotcakes". Are they insane.

This car hurts the entire brand more then they wonder. They should kill off this car next year anyway if this is the direction.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Okay so now that i've calm down...the car would be okay with that grill if it weren't at the top, and more in the center as well as if it were a little less thick..i'll photoshop it when my midterms are over.

However, i don't like it more than the outgoing model by any means, and i'll still take a 2007 Black Aspec, however this car in black does indeed look good.

But it doesn't look that bad in black..just if they center the grill and tone it down a bit rather than having it at the top, it could work very well.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
Okay so now that i've calm down...the car would be okay with that grill if it weren't at the top, and more in the center as well as if it were a little less thick..i'll photoshop it when my midterms are over.

However, i don't like it more than the outgoing model by any means, and i'll still take a 2007 Black Aspec, however this car in black does indeed look good.

But it doesn't look that bad in black..just if they center the grill and tone it down a bit rather than having it at the top, it could work very well.
You know, I think I agree. If the top of the grille was at the same height as the headlights, as opposed to protruding above them, and have the grille set deeper into the bumper, it may look a little better. More like the CTS.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by GoHawks
You know, I think I agree. If the top of the grille was at the same height as the headlights, as opposed to protruding above them, and have the grille set deeper into the bumper, it may look a little better. More like the CTS.

Come to think of it, no it needs more than that. They need to tone down all that metallic.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This fiasco takes me back to the BMW 7-Series remodel. It sucked then and it still sucks after 4-5 years and a MMC. This was one of the reasons why I came over to the Acura label. Now, it seems my luck has run out again and I need to rethink my next steps. Ain't this some $hit?!?!?!?

To me, in this instance, its not so much that the MMC works or not, but that it looks like so many or pieces of so many other less distinguished vehicles out there, and that it is truly hedious. I always thought smooth lines were the goal, not chins and edges...

When BMW did their "Bangle" job of the 7 it sold, even though not as many, because it was still a BMW and people bought it for that. Will it be the same for Acura??? I doubt it...

Of course, this is again one man's opinion and should be seen as such......
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
^^Agreed^^

It would be more bearable if the grille were moved down to the center or bottom, as opposed to the top. Maybe BMW can get away with a stunt like this but not Acura. They dropped the ball.
Indian Acura Driver

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?m...item_id=738523

MUCH better, but i still stick with bringing the shield down a notch and thinning it a bit.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM

MUCH better, but i still stick with bringing the shield down a notch and thinning it a bit.

Agree.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Yeah, that looks better.

However, moving the shield to the center and narrowing it somewhat could help as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM
AcurAdmirer

I still favor MY version ...

Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

My Lord, I've said all my Hail Marys...

Originally Posted by JAB00
^^Agreed^^

It would be more bearable if the grille were moved down to the center or bottom, as opposed to the top. Maybe BMW can get away with a stunt like this but not Acura. They dropped the ball.
What were the designers thinking? This "redesign" is going to decrease sales of the Acura even more, and it can't go much lower. I'll keep my '05 with the 18" "Ashen Chrome" wheels for now. If in a year, they have a real RL available, I'll think about it. Otherwise, it's going to be a Lexus 460L, an Audi A8 or an S500 (or S600 if my wife will let me )

This really is awful. I'm angry, upset and sad at the same time. Who in their right mind would buy this vs. the Accord or the Genesis?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I still favor MY version ...

Don't we all Mike. Don't we all.

But gotta work with what we have now
Old 02-06-2008, 04:06 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG, i am not feeling this MMC car at all. don't like the front and back, sticking with the looks on the 1st gen RL. i hope the upcoming TSX and TL are better.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Yeah, that does help a lot actually..
Old 02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Angry

OK, it IS unanimous. A swing and a miss. And a miss and a miss and a miss.

The front of the 2009 RL is...well, words fail me. "Train wreck" almost gets it. "Abomination" is too kind. "Wretched" begins to get there. It is truly hideous and actually kind of nauseating. YUK!!!! All they needed to do is put the JDM Legend grille on there, would've looked great and identified the brand well, as it looks just like the current TL's grille.

The rear looks like Chris Bangle of Beemer infamy got hold of a new-gen Accord and @$%#'ed it up. The extended overhangs will be a problem in hilly terrain, besides looking like '90s design. The wheels look like they were taken off a Camry.

The bigger engine, USB port and traffic re-routing should have been there all along.

Hey Acura...thanks for validating my decision to buy an extended warranty! I'll be driving my beautiful '06 for a long, long time.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Hire that man.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
As is to be expected, more pictures are slowly surfacing, many of which are from the actual show itself. We're getting better camera angles, more colors, more word regarding the detail of the features, etc. Most importantly, we're being exposed more to the design.

Is it exactly what many of us were hoping for? No. The fact of the matter is that Acura designers are dealing with a design that simply does not fit in the Acura product portfolio--they're working on a design thats main purpose was to be the flagship of the Honda brand. The limitations set before the Acura designers was to modify a Honda, with heavy Japanese-market influence, to fit the edgier, more performance oriented nature of the American "Acura" market. Naturally, the harder edge, more chiseled Acura look did not translate too well. Instead, they seemed to compromise with some harder lines here and softer lines there, on the front and the back of the car. But then when we come to the roofline of the car, we see the original curvier, more flowing design language.

Now, I don't really care if anyone hear hates or loves the new styling. Styling is subjective. Are there some more objective arguments that a design is not cohesive? Yes. Is styling emotional? Yes--very much so, as can be demonstrated on this post.

IMHO, and correct me if I am wrong, Acura made a great deal of improvements to this vehicle. There are numerous improvements/added features to this vehicle. For all practical purposes, this was an epic MMC, as very few manufacturers put this much effort into changing the vehicle. The interior has had numerous luxury and technology features added (XM Weather, XM Traffic with rerouting--a first in the segment, no?--ASC (which is very much different from ANC), active headrestraints, 10-way power front seats, 3.7 liter V6 with more hp and torque, revised SH-AWD, revised suspension, revised steering; the list goes on and on).

Even the exterior design has been largely improved. The rear-end, which as always been the RL's weakest point IMHO, has been vastly improved--it is more chiseled and not quite as "saggy" as the pre-MMC RL. The wheels are finally 18", standard...and they are a more fitting 8-spoke design. As far as I'm concerned, Acura just weakly executed the front of the car. The lines are not as strong as the pre-MMC RL, and no where near as sharp and crisp as the MDX (which, while polarizing, has some visual strength and aggression to it). I believe the shield grille works a lot better if you have nicely carved, sharp, aggressive lines, and not as much curve as this RL has.

---

SO...with all that said: I see what Acura was trying to do. I know that the shield grille is Acura's new signature styling element. Further, I see how the headlamps have a family-resemblance to the MDX. However, they're too soft of an interpretation.

Largely, Acura made some good improvements to the vehicle. Save for the front-end, everything is spot on. It will not be enough to save Acura sales, however. It's a sad thing, because the RL has so much going for it.
I have held me togue long enough.

This new front end sucks. Big time.

On the bright side, this makes choosing a midsize lux sedan a bit easier. As far as I'm concerned, the RL is essentially out of the game now--the front end is downright cheap lookig. And for me, it's not the grill. It's the anonymous headlamps.

The design has absolutely no cohesion. It's a mix-match.

I wanted to like the RL because it is full of substance. Rationally, it makes a lot of sense. And the interior at least brings some emotion to the table. The front end is just gross now--too much to look past.

It's down to the GS350 and A6 now. See ya later, RL.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MDX grille
TL front fascia/bumper
Saab headlights
Accord coupe tail lights
Old 02-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I have held me togue long enough.

This new front end sucks. Big time.

On the bright side, this makes choosing a midsize lux sedan a bit easier. As far as I'm concerned, the RL is essentially out of the game now--the front end is downright cheap lookig. And for me, it's not the grill. It's the anonymous headlamps.

The design has absolutely no cohesion. It's a mix-match.

I wanted to like the RL because it is full of substance. Rationally, it makes a lot of sense. And the interior at least brings some emotion to the table. The front end is just gross now--too much to look past.

It's down to the GS350 and A6 now. See ya later, RL.

IMO the interior of the GS sucks big time, people put up with it because its a Lexus ..
Old 02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
A Saitama Garage

I think this grille is going to be the end of my stay with Acura. I can't stand it. From the MDX all the way to this new RL. I'm sure the TSX and TL will get it too, and then people that want to buy Acuras will have to go with that tacky looking grill. Ugh. Too bad, I've been an Acura fan for a long time.

I did price a BMW 535xi with all the options on my RL and it came out to about 67,000. So, the RL was a great deal, if you were ok with 10hp less.

Let's see how this new RL pans out. I'm even more curious to see the new TSX and TL now...wonder how tacky those cars will look now.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yeah, that looks better.

However, moving the shield to the center and narrowing it somewhat could help as well.
Bringing the hood line down to match the headlights helps a bunch. But the lack of symmetry erks me the most. Maybe that's why the MDX thick banded grill looks better to me. This thing is all off balance
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Undoubtedly a major factor in the reshaping of the front end (as with the new Honda Accord's) is the European Union's pedestrian non-impalement?? requirements for new cars. Thus the much higher profile of the hood and grille -- similar to that of the Accord, which is equally unattractive, but minus the totally disorganized front end design of the RL.

Esthetically, there's not a single redeeming element (from any angle) in this design update. Compared to the current design it is nothing but a busy pastiche of styling cliches grafted onto what once was a smootly integrated and flowing organic design.

If I were considering buying in this segement today, I wouldn't consider this redesign if it was priced at $30K. Hell, I wouldn't take one for free -- that's how bad it is.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Acura can live without the sales success of the RL.

But if the TL and TSX cannot support this styling as well, Acura might as well sell dishwashers. The TL & TSX have been Acura's bread and butter. Let's hope they decided not to poison them as well.

I am dumbfounded, angry, embarassed and saddened by what they have done. I feel betrayed.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Go Big Blue!

I don't think it's as bad as some of you are making it out to be. I don't particularly like the protruding nose, but it's not the worst thing I've seen. However, the grill is terrible. They need to rethink that for sure. Luckily, that can be changed easily enough

I agree with Tampa. They better not stick this grill on the bread and butter of this brand. Experimenting with a slow seller like the RL is one thing but if they put this grill on the TSX and TL then they are going to get hurt.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by TampaRL
...I am dumbfounded, angry, embarassed and saddened by what they have done. I feel betrayed.
Funny thing--this has put me in the dumps, as well. It saddens me to see management so lost; does anyone know what this brand is supposed to be? They have the technology and performance down, but they cannot for the life of them add some flair to their products. And, no, Acura, this is not the kind of flair we're looking for.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I think the rear end (especially from the side) and lack of changes to the interior really burn me.

The center stack still looks like a 1980s Japanese boom-box, the blank button next to the mirror adjustment looks cheap, and the "dummy" (or stupid) ignition switch will still confuse valets who will then leave the car in ACCESSORY mode.

Acura really should have listened to its owners (or lost customers that went to other brands). I'm not sure who the hell they listened to - see the cheap, tacky grille.

Does the 90th percentile of folks that buy this car really care about a USB input? Would they even KNOW how to use it?

No, they want refinement, luxury, and on-demand power delivered smoothly. A 6-speed auto and a 4.0L V6 would have made much more sense than what they did here - and would have influenced me to lease a 2009 RL instead of a 2009 G35/G37 (which, coincidentally, has full iPod controls)...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
What If it were the other way around?

What if the 2.5G-look RL came out in 2005 (with the same equipment as the current 2G) and in 2009 the redesigned RL looked like the 05-08 RL with the new engine and equipment in the literature?

Would we be decrying the low sharky nose, the added chrome trim on the bumpers, the rather dull-looking grille, the bland trunk, simple-looking taillights, and boring wheels?

If Acura reinvigorates the marketing of the car, will the slightly awkward looks matter so much?

Rob144
Old 02-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Rob144
What if the 2.5G-look RL came out in 2005 (with the same equipment as the current 2G) and in 2009 the redesigned RL looked like the 05-08 RL with the new engine and equipment in the literature?

Would we be decrying the low sharky nose, the added chrome trim on the bumpers, the rather dull-looking grille, the bland trunk, simple-looking taillights, and boring wheels?

If Acura reinvigorates the marketing of the car, will the slightly awkward looks matter so much?

Rob144
I would have bought one and relish it.

I like the trunk, tailights, low nose, menacing looking headlamps, chrome highlights and yes.....I am even Ok with the wheels of the 05-08 RL.

The MDX grille and pointed beak are slightly awkward to me (and the primary reason I have held off buying one, hoping it's MMC would be less dramatic). But this RL nose is not awkward to me, it is wrong. I guess they decided the RL was indeed the 'wrong car' and decided to finish the job with the 'wrong styling'.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the 2005-2008 much better. It is more cohesive and less Transformers-meets-Camry.

One positive note (for me) - it looks like they redesigned the seats (tilted the top half at a greater angle compared with/to the 2005-2008). There also appears to be more gathered leather on the side bolsters, although this could be due to the intro car being hand built (my passenger seat looks this way after having the backrest leather replaced).
Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 PM
'06 RL

EEEW! Kill it with fire!

Oh man, that's some serious uglification.

In the immortal words of Redd Foxx, "I'm gonna press yo face in some dough and make me some gorilla cookies!"

What are they thinking?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Instructor

I am sure glad I bought an 07!!

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)