2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
If you check out the second page of images from the Acura newsroom, you can see the shots of the updates to interior features. I can honestly say that I'm not impressed at all.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/758/photos?page=2

The weather feature appears to be just little icons on the map and a forecast page.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
Back to my original thought that the first release of a model captures the original thinking, and that major MMC's just mess things up.
The MMC TSX and TL were great designs that took the original idea and bumped it up a notch. Usually my preference is to wait for a MMC to buy as they usually fix a lot of the things that should have been there from day one (like Bluetooth on the TSX).

Is this what we're going to see from Acura's new California design center? Their two concept vehicles were appalling and this is just bad. If they screw up the new TL and TSX like this Acura is dead.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 AM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
...The weather feature appears to be just little icons on the map and a forecast page.
What else would it be?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
What else would it be?
Oh, I don't know, stuff that you are accustomed to seeing on a weather map, like warm/cold fronts, maybe a radar overlay, stuff like that. Not just tiny little icons of clouds and sun next to a city name.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
What else would it be?
Not sure. I was envisoning more somehow.

Regardless, let's not be so critical here. There does seem to be a good amount for an MMC including a new engine. I just don't like the nose like most of you. I wonder if they will have a body kit that could make it look better
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
Shaka, when the walls fell.
Fixed.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
has been here awhile

Leftlane News pics

www.leftlanenews.com
Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by elessar
Fixed.
"Gilgamesh, a king."

Great episode.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Regardless, let's not be so critical here.
I was hoping for more than we got - especially on the interior, which appears to be the same save for a USB port and more wood.

We don't have to be verbally critical with our mouths; rather, as many current and prospective RL owners migrate to other marques we will have spoken with our wallets.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The rear is growing on me. If they'd left the front alone and put the rear on the current car, that'd been enough for me stylewise.

The engine changes are what I requested. Did you see the new torque number? 271 lb-ft. That's an increase of 15 from the old. That's more than I could have done with my mods. Remember that you use torque to accelerate, not hp.

I am hoping that the weather can be added to 2005-08 RLs if it's just those little chiclets. I can't be THAT hard and must be only a software addition.

The USB connector is also a great addition to the interior. Definitely no complaints about that.

But the front....Acura, for the love of G_d, you MUST change the grille before official release! PLEASE! Listen to your fans, the people who actually buy your products!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The rear is growing on me. If they'd left the front alone and put the rear on the current car, that'd been enough for me stylewise.

The engine changes are what I requested. Did you see the new torque number? 271 lb-ft. That's an increase of 15 from the old. That's more than I could have done with my mods. Remember that you use torque to accelerate, not hp.

But the front....Acura, for the love of G_d, you MUST change the grille before official release! PLEASE! Listen to your fans, the people who actually buy your products!
I agree - the current grill (or a refreshed version of the current grill) plus the new rear and the rest of the changes would have made for a great MMC. They couldn't have done even 1 focus group with Acura owners on that grill?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
"Gilgamesh, a king."

Great episode.
Plus, if I remember correctly, "Shaka when the walls fell" roughly translates to:

which is kinda how I feel right now. First Hyundai decides not to offer the Genesis with AWD, and now Acura beats the RL upside the head with the ugly stick. WTF am I gonna get for my next car?? For now it's looking like it's gonna be a CPO '06 or '07 RL with some kind of after-market iPod integration, because... damn.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Am I the only one?? I do like the new design the front looks much bolder to me (see the TOV gray RL) and the rear also, it look less "jelly bean" overall than the current RL...
I may trade in this fall. It does have many improvements (cooled seats, memory card, USB port, more torque, 18' wheels, etc)
Old 02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
has been here awhile

As is to be expected, more pictures are slowly surfacing, many of which are from the actual show itself. We're getting better camera angles, more colors, more word regarding the detail of the features, etc. Most importantly, we're being exposed more to the design.

Is it exactly what many of us were hoping for? No. The fact of the matter is that Acura designers are dealing with a design that simply does not fit in the Acura product portfolio--they're working on a design thats main purpose was to be the flagship of the Honda brand. The limitations set before the Acura designers was to modify a Honda, with heavy Japanese-market influence, to fit the edgier, more performance oriented nature of the American "Acura" market. Naturally, the harder edge, more chiseled Acura look did not translate too well. Instead, they seemed to compromise with some harder lines here and softer lines there, on the front and the back of the car. But then when we come to the roofline of the car, we see the original curvier, more flowing design language.

Now, I don't really care if anyone hear hates or loves the new styling. Styling is subjective. Are there some more objective arguments that a design is not cohesive? Yes. Is styling emotional? Yes--very much so, as can be demonstrated on this post.

IMHO, and correct me if I am wrong, Acura made a great deal of improvements to this vehicle. There are numerous improvements/added features to this vehicle. For all practical purposes, this was an epic MMC, as very few manufacturers put this much effort into changing the vehicle. The interior has had numerous luxury and technology features added (XM Weather, XM Traffic with rerouting--a first in the segment, no?--ASC (which is very much different from ANC), active headrestraints, 10-way power front seats, 3.7 liter V6 with more hp and torque, revised SH-AWD, revised suspension, revised steering; the list goes on and on).

Even the exterior design has been largely improved. The rear-end, which as always been the RL's weakest point IMHO, has been vastly improved--it is more chiseled and not quite as "saggy" as the pre-MMC RL. The wheels are finally 18", standard...and they are a more fitting 8-spoke design. As far as I'm concerned, Acura just weakly executed the front of the car. The lines are not as strong as the pre-MMC RL, and no where near as sharp and crisp as the MDX (which, while polarizing, has some visual strength and aggression to it). I believe the shield grille works a lot better if you have nicely carved, sharp, aggressive lines, and not as much curve as this RL has.

---

SO...with all that said: I see what Acura was trying to do. I know that the shield grille is Acura's new signature styling element. Further, I see how the headlamps have a family-resemblance to the MDX. However, they're too soft of an interpretation.

Largely, Acura made some good improvements to the vehicle. Save for the front-end, everything is spot on. It will not be enough to save Acura sales, however. It's a sad thing, because the RL has so much going for it.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
With respect to Mr. Stern, this car is a Butter Face.

Glad it has 18" wheels, but don't like the styling of them.

Anyone else notice the "shark fin" is back?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a special section for the new RL at Acura.com. Go to Future Models and you'll find it.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
True story. The 2009 RL was the inspiration for the monster in "Cloverfield".
Much like Tampa, this means that I keep my RL for another 2 years and hope that the 2010 redesign delivers. Otherwise it's off to Audi or Lexus.
very true...shit looks like a Hyundai.. so sad
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Dick Colliver's remarks on the 2009 RL

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Source: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/755/releases/4407

Chicago - 02/06/2008
Acura Press Conference
2008 Chicago Auto Show

Remarks by Dick Colliver, Executive Vice President, Automobile Sales

10:00 A.M., February 6, 2008 Good Morning everyone and welcome. You're looking at the new top-of-the line Acura-the exciting and highly innovative 2009 RL luxury performance sedan. It serves to define our brand, further establishes our engineering credentials, and demonstrates the full extent of our imagination, our talents and our capabilities.

When we set out to develop this new RL, we concentrated on three core areas: Dynamic Performance, Advanced Technology and Distinctive Styling. Our goal was to create a best-in-class luxury performance sedan. And that's quite an ambitious undertaking.The segment in which the RL competes contains some of the finest and most advanced six-cylinder powered automobiles in the world. All beautifully engineered, technically sophisticated and comprehensively equipped. To clearly rise above this competition, we needed to produce a truly remarkable automobile. And we have.

The new 2009 RL will be one of the most technically advanced, "forward thinking" automobiles on the road. It's designed for a new generation of luxury performance buyers looking to travel more quickly, more efficiently and more connected to the world around them. Now, as you'd expect, the RL uses its advanced technology to improve performance, ride quality, comfort and safety. A perfect example is Acura's enhanced Super Handling All-Wheel drive with torque vectoring that gives RL a distinct safety and performance advantage over its competitors.

There are other major enhancements to the powertrain, suspension, steering and much more-as you can see listed here. All designed and developed to deliver an even more rewarding driving experience. RL also uses what we call "customer relevant" technology to improve the driving environment. What do I mean by "customer relevant" technology? Let me give you an example.

With average rush-hour commuters spending over 50 hours a year sitting in traffic, the RL offers useful tools and a constant flow of relevant information to maximize the use of the driver's time. This is technology that legitimately enhances the owner's personal life. So the 2009 RL in-dash navigation system will now include AcuraLink Weather-a single screen, continuously updated, real-time weather information function. Add that to the system's new Traffic Rerouting feature with satellite-linked Navigation and drivers can easily avoid congestion and choose the fastest path to their destination. Other valuable capabilities include XM Note, Active Sound Control, Smart Entry, restaurant information with Zagat ratings, and improved voice recognition. All of which gives the driver unprecedented command of the environment-and unprecedented connectivity to world outside the vehicle.

This is all part of Acura's unique "ADVANCE" approach to building automobiles. ADVANCE is a commitment to always be ahead with customer-relevant technologies and products that add to the quality of life. And the new RL certainly illustrates and fulfills that commitment. You'll see an even more advanced level of progress as we establish a new Acura R&D facility in Japan.

And in the very near future as we introduce the next generation TSX - and later - the all-new TL, Acura's best selling sedan. Now, one other thing these three sedans will have in common is bold styling. Like many of you, years ago I can remember being able to tell the make and model of a car from a mile away.

But over the years, vehicles have lost that individuality and brand identity. Well, at Acura, we're determined to bring it back with striking styling statements such as the powerful grille, distinctive silhouette and edgier styling on every model we produce. By the end of this year, I guarantee you won't mistake an Acura for anything else on the road.At Acura, our goal is to become stronger and more competitive every year. In 2007, our Acura light trucks - the MDX luxury SUV and the RDX turbocharged crossover - enjoyed a record sales jump of 29-percent. We expect this new RL, and later this year the new TSX and TL, to drive similar record sales in our sedan lineup. Acura is committed to being one of the most innovative nameplates in the industry- building vehicles that appeal to consumers who are looking to the latest technologies to enhance not only the driving experience, but also their lives. And this is a prime example of that type of highly advanced vehicle. The 2009 Acura RL is the most powerful, best handling and most luxurious sedan Acura has ever built. And it's just the start.

At Acura, our goal is to become stronger and more competitive every year. In 2007, our Acura light trucks - the MDX luxury SUV and the RDX turbocharged crossover - enjoyed a record sales jump of 29-percent. We expect this new RL, and later this year the new TSX and TL, to drive similar record sales in our sedan lineup.

Acura is committed to being one of the most innovative nameplates in the industry- building vehicles that appeal to consumers who are looking to the latest technologies to enhance not only the driving experience, but also their lives.And this is a prime example of that type of highly advanced vehicle. The 2009 Acura RL is the most powerful, best handling and most luxurious sedan Acura has ever built. And it's just the start.

Thanks for taking the time to attend the launch of this important new Acura. And now, I'd like to invite you to come on up and take a closer look at the new 2009 Acura RL.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Full text of 2009 RL features

Redesigned 2009 Acura RL Debuts at Chicago Auto Show
Bold Styling, Larger Engine, and Improved Handling Help RL Raise the Luxury Performance Bar

Chicago - 02/06/2008

The redesigned 2009 Acura RL luxury sedan made its world debut today at the Chicago Auto Show. Featuring bold, sleek exterior styling, an upgraded interior, advanced technologies and powerful new engine, the RL once again pushes the limits of performance, style, and luxury. The 2009 RL will go on-sale this spring at Acura dealerships nationwide.

The 2009 RL furthers cutting edge technology with the addition of new high-tech items including AcuraLink® weather, AcuraLink® Traffic Rerouting™, a new Note function for XM® Radio, Active Sound Control, and Bluetooth® Audio to an already robust list of features found on the previous RL. To enhance handling, new chassis technology abounds in the drivetrain in the form of improved Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™, a revised steering system, upgraded coil springs, better performing shock absorbers, larger rear stabilizer bar, and more aggressive wheels and tires. Performance improves with the RL thanks to a new, larger 3.7-liter V-6 that incorporates the first ever SOHC use of VTEC® valvetrain actuation for both the intake and exhaust valves.

"RL represents the very best we have to offer in terms of engineering, technology, performance, luxury and safety", said Dick Colliver, executive vice president, sales. "It's designed for a new generation of performance-luxury buyers looking to travel more quickly, more efficiently and more connected to the world around them."

For 2009, the RL will be offered in three different trim levels including RL, RL with Technology Package and RL with Technology Package Plus CMBS™. All RL's receive a potent new 3.7-liter V-6 engine, Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™, a Bose® Surround Sound audio system, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® connectivity and a GPS-based solar-sensing climate control system. The Technology Package includes the satellite-linked Acura Navigation System with Voice Activation™ with rearview camera, AcuraLink® Real-time traffic, AcuraLink® weather, Traffic Rerouting™, a rear view back-up camera, Active Front Lighting System (AFS), ventilated front seats, and a wood/leather steering wheel and shift knob. The top RL package is the Technology Package with CMBS™ which also includes Acura's acclaimed Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and genuine wood instrument panel trim.

Powertrain

The innovation built into the new RL begins with the most powerful engine ever offered in an Acura sedan. An all-new 3.7-liter V-6 engine develops 300 horsepower and 271 lb-ft of torque thanks to an innovative new VTEC™ valvetrain system for both the intake and exhaust valves, a higher compression ratio, along with a special dual-stage magnesium intake manifold that enables the intake to function as a single- or dual-plenum manifold design based on engine operating parameters. In addition to developing improved power and torque, the RL engine meets tough CARB ULEV-2 emission standards and delivers good fuel economy. The RL's engine bay appears more upscale thanks to a new surround panel assembly that reduces visual distractions and focuses attention directly on the all-new 3.7-liter V-6 engine.

To handle the higher power of the 3.7-liter engine, a new version of the Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission is fitted to the 2009 RL. Featuring new "smart" F1®-style steering wheel mounted paddle shifters and a new straight-gate
console mounted gear selector, the RL driver now has more gear control than ever before.

The RL's acclaimed Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™) system returns for 2009, but is now quicker responding and better performing. There are numerous traction advantages of all-wheel drive, yet SH-AWD™ does a key function that is not available with traditional AWD systems-- SH-AWD™ utilizes torque vectoring to increase the rotation speed of an outside rear wheel during aggressive cornering to help the car turn more effectively while under power. This "yaw" function reduces the cornering load on the front tires to minimize understeer, to improve handling balance, and to escalate total cornering grip.

Body and Chassis

To further enhance handling and ride comfort, the new RL retains a fully independent suspension system with front double-wishbone and rear multi-link architecture. For 2009 the RL features higher rate coil springs, larger diameter stabilizer bars, stiffer subframe mount bushings and improved design steering rack components. To further improve handling and looks, new 18-inch diameter 7-spoke aluminum wheels are matched with more aggressive tires (replacing the previous 17-inch wheel/tire offering).

Exterior/Interior

The 2009 RL's new exterior styling is not only more aggressive, but delivers excellent aerodynamics and reduced rear lift at higher speeds. The RL's more athletic style foreshadows the power concealed by the new power plenum front grille and blow-formed aluminum hood. The RL's shape is taut and athletic, and its acceleration and cornering performance allow it to challenge the most capable German and Japanese sports sedans. Comfort, quietness and ride quality are also on a par with performance sedan competitors. For 2009, eight exterior colors are available--5 of which are new--including a new pearl pigment process that improves luster and shine.

Inside, the 2009 RL features a more elegantly styled interior that includes more room for rear seat passengers, easier-to-use front seat belts, door-mounted pull pockets, softer arm rests, redesigned vents, larger/clearer lettering for HVAC controls, and easier actuation of climate control functions. A revised steering wheel with available genuine wood trim (included with the CMBS package) and metal-look accents is now fitted to the RL along with a matching wood-trimmed transmission shift knob. Complementing the steering wheel are upgraded gauges that incorporate brushed metal accents for enhanced appearance. For 2009, additional insulation, a more high-tech design of Acura's acoustic glass windshield, and a new Active Sound Control (ASC) noise abatement system team to further reduce the RL's already quiet cabin.

The RL's perforated leather front seats now incorporate six levels of heated/cooled ventilation. Moreover, just like the driver's seat, the passenger front seat now has 10-way power adjustability. For 2009, the center panel controls are now more intuitive and are surrounded by a new background color along with improved quality wood patterned panels. These interior upgrades are complimented by advanced electronics that include a satellite-linked Acura Navigation System with Voice Activation™ along with the innovative AcuraLink® satellite communication system with Real-time traffic, AcuraLink® Traffic Rerouting™ and (new for 2009) AcuraLink® weather. The RL is the first vehicle on the market to feature in-dash integrated, continually updated real-time weather information in a single-screen format. The spectacular Acura/Bose® 10-speaker Sound System with DVD-Audio returns but is now upgraded to include Bluetooth® Audio, even richer audio sound, a new Note function for XM® Radio, improved button legibility, and a USB connectivity port.

Safety

The 2009 RL retains Acura's extremely rigid Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure that features extensive use of high-tensile steel and lightweight aluminum components to take vehicle construction beyond conventional safety protocols while keeping overall vehicle weight in check. The ACE™ structure's front-mounted polygonal main frame is designed to help prevent cabin deformation by distributing frontal impact forces through multiple load bearing pathways--and away from the passenger compartment. For 2009, to enhance safety a new Active Head Restraint System is built into the front seats to help improve neck and head protection in the event in a rear impact collision. To further aid in safety, the RL includes as standard a passenger seatbelt reminder, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and six airbags. These advances team to make the 2009 RL the strongest, most powerful, best handling, safest and most luxurious sedan Acura has ever built.

The RL earned 5-star ratings (the best possible) for frontal and side crash tests, and for rollover resistance, from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The RL is the fourth vehicle in the history of the program to earn the top rating of "5-star" in all three test categories. Government star ratings are part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) New Car Assessment Program (www.safercar.gov). In addition, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) awarded the RL its top rating of GOOD in Side Impact Collision Evaluation (SICE) along with a GOOD rating for IIHS' frontal offset crash test. With a new Active Head Restraint System for front seat passengers, the 2009 RL is anticipated to receive a GOOD rating in IIHS rear crash protection evaluation.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Sweet Jesus.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I am sorry, the car looks awful to me. I am very disappointed. Whoever designed this car needs to be fired! Where are they hiding the new Cadillac CTS?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Sweet Jesus.

That's almost exactly what I thought after looking at the grille's configuration. I want what that designer was smoking. Again....the front is salvageable....change the grille!

But we FINALLY have cooled seats.

Oh, and it does look good in black. Did I say "change the grille"?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Retired playa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully the stock 18's will fit on an 06. I like the look of the new trunk and taillights, very BMW, but if they would just remove that massive shield from the grille, it would have been a relatively successful MMC. The shield just stands out way too much.

This confirms for me that getting the 06 with a spoiler is gonna be the right move for me.

I wonder who was in the focus group for Acura's design team... someone should have blown the whistle, thrown a yellow flag or something for the new grille...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Sweet Jesus.

So, is that a "Sweet Jesus, hubbada, hubbada, hubbada!!"?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Go Big Blue!

It's just the front that they blew. The back looks good. Felt that way from the moment I saw it. The engine changes, wheels, interior tech. All excellent for an MMC. What more could you ask for.

Unfortunately the RL still needs more to be winner, but you can't blame that on a half baked attempt at an MMC. They certainly tried to do a lot.

Interested to see what "accessories" they offer new with this version. That could also help
Old 02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I like the back, but the front?!?! My God!!!!

No burning desire to trade up that's for sure despite the improvements.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Go Big Blue!

I wasn't going to trade anyway. My RL is only 1 year old.

But I gotta say this. The MDX front was horrible to me when I first saw it. Now I like it. Do we want bold and unique signature styling, or do we want to look like an Accord and every other car on the road. Sometimes we talk out of both sides of our mouth on that topic
Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Instructor

WOW YIKES!

I like the back of it but the front is HIDEOUS. Its sad they were going for more aggressive styling and came up with that. Talk about first class and no class...

I have a feeling the RL is going to fail even more than it did before....
Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Logic717
I wonder who was in the focus group for Acura's design team... someone should have blown the whistle, thrown a yellow flag or something for the new grille...
Obviously not enthusiasts.

I'm almost ready to start one of those useless online petitions about changing the grille.

Anyone ready to Photoshop an alternative? I understand the need for a corporate grille, but couldn't it be a WEE bit smaller for the cars? It looks fine on the trucks, but not on the cars. The front's styling is indeed more bold, but that grille is so MUCH that it takes away from the sharp new lines. The front only looks good in black.

Jeez. Back to work.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Go Big Blue!

I see a good business for after market grills on the horizon
Old 02-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Acura needs to find a new ExVP.

Expect a surge in '08 RL sales until they're gone.
The shark fin returns for '09???
The iPod USB port is nice, but will it supply video?
And, where is VCM, which would provide an additional 3-4MPG at highway speeds.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Retired playa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I see a good business for after market grills on the horizon
+1 hell even just an insert that removes the shield and has a flat black matte finish with a floating A would look slick. Would someone with photoshop skillz work that out?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Instructor

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/a...ts-at-chicago/

iono know about this. Its looks like the genesis and accord...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Where the RL Design team got their insiration from...

Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
A Saitama Garage

I share the same sentiments as most of you on here. I can't stand the front grille. It's also disappointing that we're still at 300hp and 3.7 liters --- not to mention a 5spd. tranny on that. I think they could've moved it up a notch to 6 speed.

I won't be trading in - definitely, but I do wonder what the wheels would look like on my '06 RL. Hmn...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For those that don't like the grill, consider this. I had a customer who bought a black MDX from me when the 07 design came out. He loved the car and it was his 3rd MDX. He just couldn't get over the grill. He had it painted black to match the rest of the car. It doesn't stand out at all anymore and looks really good. Could someone photoshop this onto the new RL design?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced

i do not think i could be more disappointed with this product. the sales of this car are going to sit exactly how they are right now. the back is pretty slick. that front just isn't right. it looks VERY generic. Im not against the whole ptuting the shield on things, but they got to do it right like on the MDX. the lights need to have more sharp angles rather than round in my opinion. its good to see the rest of the upgrades though. however why can there not be a 6 speed auto in it?

but my biggest complaint with lexus and toyota are that they are extremely similar in design. and now acura is drifting to that right now with this car.

boo
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Instructor

I mean the grille can grow on me. I think the head lights are what gets me. They kinda remind of the genesis' but pulled.. The rear.. I need more time on that..

But the interior finally gives us what we want -cooling seats and the passenger seat is now 10-way power.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
By the end of this year, I guarantee you won't mistake an Acura for anything else on the road.

Dick may have something here...much the same way as you won't mistake an Aztek for anything else on the road.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Moto Enthusiast

How many times can we say "Advance" in an Acura press conference?

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)