2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys see the scary resemblence?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Ok, thankfully it appears the craptastic zebrawood is NOT the only option:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chica...reveal/626513/

I wonder if this is the "upgraded" wood trim that comes with the CMBS package?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its soo simple. All they need to do is bring back this with an upgraded engine and AWD. Well not that simple, but I can dream right?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
3.2 CL-S Sundance Gold

[/QUOTE]

That new RL is like frickin MR. POTATOE HEAD they took a bunch of limbs of accents from other vehicles and made that piece of garbage.
The tails look exactly like the Accord which is SAD. The front looks like a transformer that never finished becoming a bot!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
"All New" is a bit of a stretch. I'll have to see it in person to decide, but I don't see this rework doing all that much for sales of this car.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation Yes

Finally, the cooled seats. They got rid of the menacing robotic headlights that was my favorite part of the car. As for the looks ... I doubt it'll increase sales but for a MMC I guess it will do.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I've finally regained enough of my wits to comment further.

But first, I have to say to halfaznguy - IMO, the Genesis looks WAAAAY better than this new RL. Way. And I really mean that.

The new RL's grille is just nothing short of disgraceful and distasteful. And to those of you who say you like the rear end ... what can I say, except that it's a perfect example of how 2 people can look at the same thing and see two different things. To me, it's hideous, just as the new Accord's rear end is hideous. Saggy and baggy, lumpy and dumpy.

"Athletic", Mr. Colliver??? Yeah, athletic like you'd see at Sunny Acres Rest Home during physical therapy hour.

Honda has taken a very well-integrated, flowing design and just basically chopped it up and spat it back out, grabbed some oddball design pieces off the shelf, then let the kids at design school put the parts back together again ... some upside-down, some sideways. IOW, they've realized my worst fears - that the RL would go the way of the Accord, which will go down in history as one of the most forgettable styling exercises ever to be puked up by Honda Design.

It's a sad day for Acura, and my heart goes out to the dealers.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The grill is two-tone as well. The top horizontal part with the "A" emblem is a shiny chrome effect while the "U" piece around the outside is a flat light grey. I think if the flat grey part was painted the same color as the car it would look much, much better.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
oh my f'ing god wtf has acura done? we were looking forward to the 09 to trade our 05 in for but this is NOT it. Wow, this is an accord that got hit with a huge ugly stick! Our RL is one in a very long list of Hondas (18) and I seriously think it may be our last. In fact, I just purchased a brand new FJ this morning

I seriously hope it looks better in person.

At this rate I'm going to have to give that new Hyundai Genesis a closer look..
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little paint and all is well with the world.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

No it doesnt. That looks like the bastard child between an Accord and a Camry.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
My impression of the design: the back is cool, the grill sucks, they incrementally improved an already nice car.

My opinion of the designers: Sorry for 'em. Looks like they had something good going, and some brand manager force fed them the acura corporate grill. I wonder if the JDM Legend will incorporate this better.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Red face On the Positive Side

I predicted yesterday that things were gonna get ugly today ... shame I was right. I hope that the body change comes in 2010 bc this does not look too popular.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

a little better.. very little.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
The grill is two-tone as well. The top horizontal part with the "A" emblem is a shiny chrome effect while the "U" piece around the outside is a flat light grey. I think if the flat grey part was painted the same color as the car it would look much, much better.
I'm struggling to imagine how you make that grill not so dominant in the front view of the car. Probably will look better on a white or silver body. Other then that, nothing seems too bad. I wonder if they are serious about that grill design for the new TSX and TL. I have to assume so. Good news is that this is easily swapped out at any point in production if the outcry gets loud enough. Hopefully Acura will take it down a notch before production (or production of the TSX and TL)
Old 02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Go Big Blue!

One more thing......lets wait to see it in person. Impressions only from photos often times gets it wrong.

Work with me guys, I'm trying to stay positive..
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
What does the JDM Legend now look like? Does the Honda Legend inherit these Acura cues? I'm guessing it will get the tail treatment, but the front end will feature a nicer, Honda grille.

I really don't like that the hood line is so much higher than the fender line.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

I agree with spicymikey.. I just needed to vent a little. From the looks of this 09, it still retains the same basic A B and C pillars of the current generation RL which makes me think that this is (hopefully) an MMC. If so, we will be holding our current RL until they release a full redo.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Yeah, you're right Mike_TX, of this general design the Genesis does a better job.. I just meant its scary for Acura and the RL that they look so similiar.

This design cannot complete with the new Jaguar XF, Infiniti M, nor the Lexus GS..

Hopefully, the TL redeems Acura.. Hahaha I'm gona designate this day as Black Wednesday in the Acura Archives.. The day Acura let us down..
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
AcurAdmirer

Looking at the big pictures a couple pages back, it also looks like both the front and rear overhangs have been lengthened, which just makes the wheels look too close together in side view. Odd in a time when most mfr's are pushing the wheels farther out to the corners.

Add to that pieces and parts that don't blend harmoniously into each other, and I can only hope they get off the crack pipe and come up with a 21st century styling idiom for the FMC.

Oh, and the engine ... while I applaud the adoption of the 3.7-liter over the 3.5, 300hp is only a 10hp increase, and the 15 ft.-lbs. torque increase is hardly enough to be noticed. Most drivers won't notice any extra oomph, but they may notice a little extra gas consumption.

But my biggest impression, standing back and looking at the pics of the car, is that it still looks like a small car. An Infiniti M parked next to it will make it look like a peanut. I know a few of you like the current size, but an Acura flagship will never be taken seriously until it grows up and stops being a mid-sized car.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
Is this what we're going to see from Acura's new California design center? Their two concept vehicles were appalling and this is just bad. If they screw up the new TL and TSX like this Acura is dead.
^^I agree^^

Unfathomable. The front is unspeakably ugly. What are those dopes in California thinking. If the new TL or TSX comes out looking similar to this, Acura is toast. I love my 05 TL and plan on keeping it for 3-4 more years. I will definitely not buy another Acura if this is the trend of where the design theme is going.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What a huge disappointment! All the hype for nothing. Like most commented, the only thing I liked was the new tail lights and rear. I think the front of the car is a "Prototype" that just went bad?

I think the 2005-2008 body might be a little bland, but its more classy and sportier than this 2009 body. I seriously doubt if their sales increase for the RL this year. It's all downhill from here until they do a total makeover. Heck, the 2005-2008 body might increase in value b/c the 2009's don't look as good.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

they need to fire Helen Keller from their design staff pronto.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by bkw

a little better.. very little.
That's the best view I've seen so far, but doesn't anyone at Honda/Acura realize the size of the grille surround and croosbar is out of harmony with all the other styling elements of the car?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Hey Mike, how are you liking your new LS460? Read your review, are you still in the honeymoon phase?

We traded in our 06 LS430 last year for the MDX (which was then totalled), but with this announcement I'm quite sure that the LS460 will be my wifes new car next summer.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

But my biggest impression, standing back and looking at the pics of the car, is that it still looks like a small car. An Infiniti M parked next to it will make it look like a peanut. I know a few of you like the current size, but an Acura flagship will never be taken seriously until it grows up and stops being a mid-sized car.

Don't think so, actually it is longer and wider than the M, GS, 5 and E. Also with
standard 18' wheels and taller hood lines should look bigger...

see comparison chart here
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/755/releases/4411
Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
One more thing......lets wait to see it in person. Impressions only from photos often times gets it wrong.

Work with me guys, I'm trying to stay positive..
Yeah, okay, I'm gona take a deep breath and just stare at this thing and see what happens at the end of the day. See if my impression has changed...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

Isn't the RL bigger then the M (inside and out). If not, it certainly looks bigger. I'm with you on much of what you said but not sure about this last one.

Front wheels seem to be set the same but the rear end has definitely been pulled back further passed the back wheels. That must be how they got more rear seat space. Wonder what the trunk volume is up to now? I don't think it looks out of proportion at all in the back. In fact, I always thought the rear end looked stubbed. That was one of the design flaws in the current design. I think they did good things with the back. No problems from me in that category
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The integration of the hood's leading edge, the 'grille' and the leading edge of the front fenders above the headlight assembly is a MESS. It looks like they put a hood from another car on, it was too short, so they added a chuck of shiny stuff to the grille to cover the gap.

How many intersecting, non flowing lines can meet in one small area? It is a styling train wreck. In past photos of our currentl RL, this VERY area was highlighted to show the integration of these lines, and the organic flow.

By making the beak more upright, and raising the hoodline, the profile now loses the wedge shape and look of lenght. Add in the additional overhang with a modest wheel base it looks shorter, gamely and confused between a flowing roofline and conflicted edges on the nose and tail.

The tail is too busy for me. The beak nose and upturned ducktail trunk says it all....UGLY DUCKLING. The wheels, though larger, appear to be rebadged Accord wheels.

Unfortunately I see the same train wreck of styling cues on the Accord. These stylists must be robots. If there is any emotion in this style, it would have to be shame.

There interior seems fresher, but I only see the shifter as a real change. The plood (or it it real) on the console screams aftermarket to me. I see no changes on the center stack in the buttons, just perhaps the size of the FONT on the labels. I would only be curious on how the back seat is changed.

The only thing I am lusting for is the cooled seats....PERIOD.
I guess I should thank Acura for making me giddy all over again with my 2006 RL.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
a drop and some bigger wheels go a long way...

Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Instructor

2009 Acura RL in Autoweek Today

Not sure if link I'm attatching will work, but Autoweek's daily blurb has complete details of the 2009 RL which goes on sale this spring. Personally, I don't like the looks as well as the current model. New power is 3.7L, 300HP engine from MDX.
Link is: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01

Check it out.

MOD EDIT: moved to 2009 Acura RL thread
Old 02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I see a wonderful opportunity for RonJon to design a whole new nose.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Have I mentioned how much I love my 2006 RL? The external lines flow so much better than on the new one. I will never complain about its looks again. OK, I wasn't really complaining before, either, outside of tweaking the rear.

I've visited a few other car fora and there is universal dislike of the new grille design on this car. I have rarely seen such agreement on car enthusiast forums. I am hoping that Acura takes note of the outcry and tones the grille down for the sake of future sales of the RL.

I just can't get around that grille, no matter how much I look.

If this is the direction Acura is going, Cadillac will likely be getting my dollars next time. After all, I'm not fully decided on that CTS-V and I may elect to just keep the RL for a couple more years.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
The integration of the hood's leading edge, the 'grille' and the leading edge of the front fenders above the headlight assembly is a MESS. It looks like they put a hood from another car on, it was too short, so they added a chuck of shiny stuff to the grille to cover the gap.

How many intersecting, non flowing lines can meet in one small area? It is a styling train wreck. In past photos of our currentl RL, this VERY area was highlighted to show the integration of these lines, and the organic flow.
My thoughts exactly. It looks like they carved up the nose with an eExacto knife and grafted in this aftermarket nose.

Kind of like kit car that uses components from different cars.

Very disjointed.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Have I mentioned how much I love my 2006 RL? The external lines flow so much better than on the new one. I will never complain about its looks again. OK, I wasn't really complaining before, either, outside of tweaking the rear.

I've visited a few other car fora and there is universal dislike of the new grille design on this car. I have rarely seen such agreement on car enthusiast forums. I am hoping that Acura takes note of the outcry and tones the grille down for the sake of future sales of the RL.

I just can't get around that grille, no matter how much I look.

If this is the direction Acura is going, Cadillac will likely be getting my dollars next time. After all, I'm not fully decided on that CTS-V and I may elect to just keep the RL for a couple more years.

I never thought I would say this, but the RL grille, makes the snout on the CTS look subtle.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by GoHawks
I never thought I would say this, but the RL grille, makes the snout on the CTS look subtle.
So you don't like the grill do you?

Someone must like it? Could it be unanimous? Someone speak up if they like the grill. Bob, maybe you should add a poll to this thread in case some are embarrassed to admit it with all the bashing going on. It has to be more then a Yes or No question. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) I'd give it a 2. BUT, a little reworking of the chrome shield and it woould be much better. The shield is the worst part of the total change. IMO
Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by cai06
Don't think so, actually it is longer and wider than the M, GS, 5 and E. Also with
standard 18' wheels and taller hood lines should look bigger...

see comparison chart here
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/755/releases/4411
I guess the M's longer wheelbase and greater height make it look bigger. I've owned both an M and an RL, and the RL always seemed a lot more "compact" than the M.

Thanks for the figures.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
PICS of 2009 RL on TOV

MY GOD they have taken an elegant if anonymous car and turned it into a nightmare. Its the worst MMC redo in Honda history by far. I suspect that someone in HMC really wants to kill the RL off for good. The mechanical changes are modest and apparently good, tighter suspension new 3.7 (MDX) engine.

MOD EDIT: moved to 2009 RL thread
Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Instructor

From the press release:

"A new "power plenum" front grille that is in design concert with the new Keen Edge Dynamic design grille for all new Acura vehicles"

Does it mean that the next FMC 10' RL will have it too?? Sounds like it will.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Bob, maybe you should add a poll to this thread in case some are embarrassed to admit it with all the bashing going on.
Ask and you shall receive. It's in a new thread, though.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5184

....and here's one for the rear.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5185

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)