2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
It looks better on the TSX. Maybe because it's painted the same color as the car.
It's also much more integrated with the TSX. The hood and fenders line up. It lends credence to the view that the grille was just tacked on to the RL.

Why didn't they just wait until the FMC in 2010?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

It's also much more integrated with the TSX. The hood and fenders line up. It lends credence to the view that the grille was just tacked on to the RL.

Why didn't they just wait until the FMC in 2010?

LOL dw... great minds not only think alike...but at the same time!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL
LOL dw... great minds not only think alike...but at the same time!
I laughed as soon as I saw your post - Tried to edit my original one with those thoughts but my 5 minutes were up!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Ev an' Tec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
One has only to look at Dick Colliver's tie in the introduction video to understand why the RL got styled the way it did.

But let's think of it this way - designers, whether they be car designers or fashion designers or even architects, often use exaggeration to make a design statement. That's exactly what they've done with the new RL's grille (and what they did with the MDX's grille before that). At first it's shocking, but in time, we come to overlook the exaggeration aspect of it, and it begins to look "normal".

The real payoff, design-wise, is when OTHER cars begin to look funny because they DON'T have that styling element. That's how styles change. It's a gamble, but when it works, it works.

So, The Grille looks 'way overdone right now, right? Given some time to get used to it, it may well start looking fine. And then it may start looking normal. That doesn't mean you have to like it, but if Acura's right, we'll adjust to it and it will become a signature styling element.

The REAR, however, is a different matter IMO. The drooping corners of the tail lights are just a styling mistake AFAIC, since they make the car look sleepy and anything but athletic. Just straighten those suckers out (like the photoshop job Shotgun showed), and all is well again.

The bustle in the back, though, is a bigger issue. Sure, it allowed for some more trunk room (though not much), but it creates too many bends and twists and creases in an otherwise flowing design. And the big lip on the top of the trunk is obscene. Small lip spoilers are fine, but let's not go overboard here.

Like most of us, I'll have to see it on the street for awhile before I draw a final conclusion, but for now it's a restless and incohesive design that leans too much toward the TL and not enough toward the Big Boy luxury sedans.

Good points. It's interesting how yesterday's ugly becomes today's standard.

When I first saw the 3G TL, I didn't like it as much as the pre-MMC 2G TLs. Now, I think the 2G TLs look dated.

On the 2009 RL, it looks like they borrowed the rectangular center lights (fog or DRL?) from the pre-MMC 3G TL, the profile from the 2008 RL, and the ugly tail from the 2008 Accord (which got it from the 7-series BMW).

Overall, it looks like a step toward the 3G TL. Is imitation flattery?

Maybe Acura is trying to tell us... Be happy with your old cars, this is what you could get if you wish for a new one!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
the TL has the same treatment
09TL spy shots

but the hatch/honeycomb grill in the background will probably make it not look that bad. hopefully it will look as nice as the sports 4 concept...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Ev an' Tec

If you ignore how the car looks, the features are a good improvement.
"Other than your husband getting shot, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Gotta love the cooled seats, which even the top Buicks now have. Some studies have found people use the A/C less if the seat is cooler, saving gas!

Nav-Weather is the next logical step, though I bet it comes with another $3-4 monthly fee like Nav-Traffic. It could actually be useful this time of year to help figure out if it is sleeting out or just raining. Sometimes when it hits the windshield it all looks the same, even if it isn't.

(So what's next -- Nav-Cellular, to warn you about other nearby drivers chatting on their phones?)

USB, etc for media players is good. Ahead -- maybe a 40G Hard Disk like the CTS?

Glad about the bump to 300hp, and the boost in rear-oriented SH-AWD for performance. Agree that a 6-speed would be nice, but it's only an MMC. Gotta wonder if it is trying to keep up with the 4G TL later this year which needs to be 300hp.

18-inch wheels, stiffer suspension -- I like that. RL probably can't compete with Lexus on boulevard-cruiser luxury, but it can aim more for performance. Still, the interior looks more luxury and less sports-car.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Ev an' Tec

I think the front of the 2009 RL is better than the previous RL.

But the back is worse.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I hope the sensible folks at acura corporate and the folks at the design studio in Cali read this thread. You'd think they'd listen in on what goes on in here sometimes. That grill=garbage. I like that they tried to improve the rear, but personally I feel the tails and that big slab of chrome back there are too much. The rest of the improvements they made to the suspension, wheels, interior,engine, ect are great though. I really hope the folks at acura are reading this thread, cos I don't wanna see that grill on ANY acura. It won't look right on the TL either..
Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you UGLY, you UGLY!

Seriously, who vetted that grille?

As to the rest of the 'changes' - no big deal. Doesn't address what I wanted to see improved upon from my '05 RL - trunk space, back seat space, extra gears in the tranny.

I'm OK with a V6 though I understand the clamor for the V8 (guys, just get a sports car! everybody needs a grocery getter and a real sports car, everything else is just compromise). I laugh at the claim that now it offers 300HP; my '05 RL allegedly had 300HP. I'm thinking of the scene in "The Princess Bride" - "I do not think it means what you think it means".
Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I hate the grill. In fact, I am so displeased with Acura's new look (RL, TL, MDX) that my 2005 RL might be my last Acura. I just hope to hold on to is as long as I can.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Not a bad-looking car!

Available 375hp V-8, heated and cooled seats, nav, BT, parking sensors, articulating xenons, intelligent cruise, power tilt and telescoping heated steering wheel, you name it, and all for less than $40k. Wow.

I think this looks a lot better than the MMC- RL. Hyundai is proving itself and may steal some RL fans with a more refined designed luxury car.

Acura.....please leave the overly aggressive looks to the TL! The RL should be more Lexus LS in terms of looks....not a TL on steroids!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
09 RL now looks like a glorified Accord!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by evantec
When I first saw the 3G TL, I didn't like it as much as the pre-MMC 2G TLs. Now, I think the 2G TLs look dated.
I think this is the first post I've read (in over 5 years on this forum) where someone did not like the 3G TL.

I'm not saying that everyone in the world loved the design, but the concept (which debuted at the 2003 New York Auto Show) wasn't anywhere near as polarizing as the 2.5G RL.

If you're trying to say, "well I think the 2G RL will look dated in 6-7 years and the the MMC will grow on me," it's an opinion which I believe is irrelevant. Upon its introduction, the 2G RL looked like a slightly larger, rounder Accord. The MMC, however, looks like a sedan with an SUV/truck grille poorly grafted to its front end and a Civic-looking rear (look at the lights from afar), with the same doors/greenhouse glass as before.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lindros2
I think this is the first post I've read (in over 5 years on this forum) where someone did not like the 3G TL.
I didn't like the 3G TL. I bought a 2003 TL Type S w/ Nav after having seen the photos of the 3G TL. I thought the 3G TL looked too "boy racer"-ish and also looked a lot smaller (not sure if it really was) than the 2G TL. The only thing my TL lacked was Bluetooth. I've driven several 3G TL's (including a Type S) since then and outside of the ELS sound system they do nothing for me.

I loved the 2G RL from the first photo I saw of it and immediately knew I would get one. The transmission problems with the TL (not mine but many others) was a perfect excuse to trade up to the RL. Absent the transmission problems I would have kept it for another year or so and started out with a 2006 RL instead of an 05.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Well, if you look closely, my sister actually pointed this out before i did so i was kind of shocked at that, but they seem to be backtracking just a bit.

I myself did not like the 3G TL when i first saw it either to be honest. However the car grew on me and now i don't mind it...but if i had to choose, i'd put a SH-AWD system in the 2g TL and call it a day.

Anyway, if you look closely at this one, the styling cues have gone backwards in the sense....before this was a sports sedan, and if you notice so is the TL at the moment, but the new TL and RL give the vibe of a luxury sedan over sports. Just like the 2g TLs..

The hood lines as well as the headlamps are reminding me a lot of the 2nd gen TL and perhaps it's JUST me, but i see a hint of going backwards a bit..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Instructor

It will be interesting to see the new 09' JDM Honda Legend grill, it should be more mainstream. Other than the controversial grill the changes are what I was waiting for: more torque, RWD- biased SHAWD, etc

I think Acura is now listening to its customers, they probably went to bold with the grill for many of you though; but at least they chose a more aggressive and bold corporate line.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by evantec
If you ignore how the car looks, the features are a good improvement.
"Other than your husband getting shot, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Gotta love the cooled seats, which even the top Buicks now have. Some studies have found people use the A/C less if the seat is cooler, saving gas!

Nav-Weather is the next logical step, though I bet it comes with another $3-4 monthly fee like Nav-Traffic. It could actually be useful this time of year to help figure out if it is sleeting out or just raining. Sometimes when it hits the windshield it all looks the same, even if it isn't.

(So what's next -- Nav-Cellular, to warn you about other nearby drivers chatting on their phones?)

USB, etc for media players is good. Ahead -- maybe a 40G Hard Disk like the CTS?

Glad about the bump to 300hp, and the boost in rear-oriented SH-AWD for performance. Agree that a 6-speed would be nice, but it's only an MMC. Gotta wonder if it is trying to keep up with the 4G TL later this year which needs to be 300hp.

18-inch wheels, stiffer suspension -- I like that. RL probably can't compete with Lexus on boulevard-cruiser luxury, but it can aim more for performance. Still, the interior looks more luxury and less sports-car.
Bump to 300hp? They needed to take the RL into the 340-360 range to compete with the class. They failed to do that again. There is no performance in this RL.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SuperStar
Bump to 300hp? They needed to take the RL into the 340-360 range to compete with the class. They failed to do that again. There is no performance in this RL.
It was a refresh - the best that could be hoped for was the 3.7L V6 engine from the MDX. I don't think they could get 340-360 hp out of a V6, and they don't currently have a V8 anywhere in their lineup. The next RL (if there is another one after this debacle) will likely have a V-8 at least as an option.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I disagree with you partially. An issue that ACTUAL RL customers like myself had with the current car was the lack of low-end torque. The only way to address that is with displacement, which Acura gave us. I keep reminding people here that you need TORQUE, not HP, to accelerate. And if that increased torque is available at the low end, we will notice it. I will hold my nose at the grille and test drive this at my dealer when it's released to see if my impressions are correct.

Now the FMC, I suppose that will have a larger displacement engine/V8? to compete in the lux category. However, the new engine competes nicely with other V6s in its class.

They just need to fix that grille!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My grille fix:

It's so simple! Anything to align the hood edge with the front fenders.

I think we're just going to have to get used to it. The RL has always been a car that looked better in person than in photos. Perhaps this one is the same.

Rob144
Old 02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I keep reminding people here that you need TORQUE, not HP, to accelerate.
True Bob, torque is measurement of force at a point along the drive train. It's a constant number and is really the only thing that really matters when you want to know what kind of kick you'll get after stepping on the gas. Horse power is just a calculation from the torque number and rpm's to tell you how much power can be produced at a given rev. Not even sure why we still use this 19th century measurement to compare engines. Old habits are hard to break? Probably a good reason, but I don't know it. I think torque is all you really need to care about.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
the TL has the same treatment
09TL spy shots

but the hatch/honeycomb grill in the background will probably make it not look that bad. hopefully it will look as nice as the sports 4 concept...
Yep. Taking a good look at the spy shots of the 09 TL grill you see it coming..

So it appears this is the new Acura nose.... Looking at it, it doesn't look all that bad.. Almost like the Bangle butt and front end on the BMWs. After a while, it doesn't look bad. Looks "futuristic".....
Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

I would actually seriously think about trading in my '06 if the front-end of the new model looked like this. The MDX grille looks well proportioned here.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoHawks

I would actually seriously think about trading in my '06 if the front-end of the new model looked like this. The MDX grille looks well proportioned here.
While there a few minor tweaks that I would make to this PS'ed grille, it looks WAY better than what Acura spent millions producing.

Makes you wonder if the Acura designers are now going about the grille, especially if they see the quality PS pics that have been popping up on TOV and other places.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks

Man, that looks good!!! They should have hired you to tell them that the MDX grill looks better.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor

I'm happy...

I was a little worried. After my bad experience with Acura... I have sworn to myself NEVER to buy another Honda/Acura product. I feel soooo much better about that decision now. If the new RL would have been a stunner... I'd be kicking myself everytime I drove by one. No worries about that now!

Since Acurazine is the most LOYAL bunch of car owners I think I've ever seen (maybe excluding Saab owners)... I wonder why Acura didn't at least float a design copy past the group... they could have saved themselves this embarrassment. Did anyone at Acura really..REALLY think that THIS RL would boost sales?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dr mikeylu
the photochopped RL ..looks like a 2G TL with a newer grill.....

the new RL is going to be a flop..hopefully they dont mess up the new TL
Sorry to say that it is really bad as well. Nicer interior appointments, but another styling mess.

Maybe giving Acura their own studio wasn't such a great idea...or maybe some idiot in charge of Acura marketing decided that "If BMW can throw away classic designs for slab sided horrors and increase sales, so can we!"
Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Since Acurazine is the most LOYAL bunch of car owners I think I've ever seen (maybe excluding Saab owners)... I wonder why Acura didn't at least float a design copy past the group... they could have saved themselves this embarrassment. Did anyone at Acura really..REALLY think that THIS RL would boost sales?
Maybe there is something to the idea that the previous (05-08) RL was foisted on Acura by Honda, and this is Acura's way of saying that it doesn't fit with their design direction (they tried but it didn't work), so Acura needs to start over with an all-new design of their own for the FMC in 2010.

I still can't believe that any Acura executive looking at that grille thought it was a good idea. Maybe it will get Colliver tossed out on his @ss and someone who actually cares about Acura put in charge.

The photoshopped grill and hood on the previous page are great, and show that the "shield" design can fit with a luxury sedan, if the designer has any clue what he is doing. I would have seriously considered buying that car.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Here's what bothers me the most... the view from the FRONT of the RL was the very best part!!! I always had an issue with it looking like an Accord from the side... but always thought it looked down right Ominous from the front. They ruined the best part.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vluu
Man, that looks good!!! They should have hired you to tell them that the MDX grill looks better.
I would buy one if it looked like your photoshop. Horrendous that actual designers came up with that.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Go Big Blue!

yea, the MDX grill looks better than I expected it would. At least its a symmetrical design. It's also very distinctive. THIS should be their corporate grill not the current non-discript design on the 08 RL or that ridiculous thing on the 09 RL.

I just have to believe they are going to back off that idea after the first year. It might come out into production this spring on the RL, TL, and TSX. But it will quickly get canned.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
I would buy one if it looked like your photoshop. Horrendous that actual designers came up with that.

I was hoping it'd look like the photoshop...because then i was hoping that more people would go for it, and the 05, 06's would flood the market and i could probably pick up an 05 for cheaper....
Old 02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
I was hoping it'd look like the photoshop...because then i was hoping that more people would go for it, and the 05, 06's would flood the market and i could probably pick up an 05 for cheaper....

Given the sales figure of the current gen RL, even if the refresh is/was popular, I doubt there would be any flodding of RLs in the used car market. Maybe a puddle.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Go Big Blue!

It looks better on the TSX. Maybe because it's painted the same color as the car.
That's just tape to camouflage it's ugliness. Now that the RL is out they might as well stop hiding it. We know how ugly it really is now.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I still don't like it in pictures, too many lines, squares, rectangles, shapes, the front has all that, too much. hate having both round and rectangle shapes in the front lights.
When is the RL for sale, Fall? and the TSX April, the TL May, June? They have 7-8 months to redo the grill at least. Unusual they are all being seen in the same timeframe but will not be released in the same timeframe. I don't get the sequence. the TL and TSX are what?, 100x bigger sales volume that the RL ever will be. Why not show those earlier than later to stir interest. seems odd. the RL won't even be available til Sept 08??
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I still don't like it in pictures, too many lines, squares, rectangles, shapes, the front has all that, too much. hate having both round and rectangle shapes in the front lights.
When is the RL for sale, Fall? and the TSX April, the TL May, June? They have 7-8 months to redo the grill at least. Unusual they are all being seen in the same timeframe but will not be released in the same timeframe. I don't get the sequence. the TL and TSX are what?, 100x bigger sales volume that the RL ever will be. Why not show those earlier than later to stir interest. seems odd. the RL won't even be available til Sept 08??
Sorry, it will be on lots by May. The grill will definitely go to production. I'm just hoping for a change by next year when they hear the outcry and poor sales it generates
Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
That's just tape to camouflage it's ugliness. Now that the RL is out they might as well stop hiding it. We know how ugly it really is now.
The hood and fenders line up on the TSX. That's probably why it looks OK.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Racer

I wonder if the current MDX grille can be retrofitted somehow to the 05-08 RL. That looks incredible.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Got Ramen?

Boy am i disappointed. This "redesigned" RL looks like ass. Honda really needs to fire their current designers and bring in better ones who are in with the times.

I never like how Acura insists on using the 5-point chevron but their designs always seem to be hindered by it. Mazda does it better and now Chevy is starting to one up Acura's designs with the Chevron grill as the focal point.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
BMW535xi 300hp 300lbs/ft torque Starting at $51600
Acura RL 300hp 271lbs/ft torque Starting at $48000 (guesstimate)

Who exactly do you want to compete with? The 550 does have 360hp, but that really isn't the RL's competition. If they were to make a V8 RL, less than 10% of RL's sold would end up with that engine, it would probably be closer to 5%.

I'm not worried about the motor, I'm worried about a car with a face only it's mother could love.

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)