2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:24 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's another thing. Was a woman around in the last few days with an 05 SAAB to trade and she was given thousands of dollars below Kelly Blue Book FAIR condition. Maybe thought she was getting robbed by the 'car salesmen' or something but when they can't given the new ones away what do you think happens to the used ones?

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Check out Saab! You want a 9-5? They're practically throwing money at you. Does that make you feel better
Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
It's still worth noting, though, that Acura ends up getting the money they want, incentives or no.

Take leasing, for example: Even though I leased my RL at a cap cost of about $40,000 on paper, the lease payments are higher than on the '06 Infiniti M45 I leased for a cap cost of almost $50,000. It's the shell game of residuals and money factors at work. The Infiniti just had its residual pumped up and its money factors squeezed down to move cars.

It works similarly for buying, although some of the difference is made up in low trade-in allowances and higher used car sales prices. Still, look at the finance charges, where they also get you on the way out.

All in all, it's maybe just a different way of marketing. You can stand tough like Lexus or M-B and refuse to come off your MSRP much if any, or you can tease customers with discounts and then make it back in the 'business office'.

Either way, as long as Acura gets more than true invoice for their cars, they're making money. And since they don't have to support the huge overheads of lavish showrooms and things like expense accounts for salesmen (my M-B salesman recently took my wife and me out for a 5-star dinner and after-dinner cocktails at 2 different hot night spots!), they don't need to make thousands on each sale.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:23 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Acura gets their money, but if sales decrease then they get fewer sales and less money, obviously. As incentives rise, per unit profit drops, too. Both seem to be happening to Acura.

Holding the line at MSRP is a decision from the dealership level. Althought the NY-NJ-CT Mercedes dealers got busted several years ago for a price fixing scheme. But, how close to MSRP a model sells has a lot to do with how much the manufacturer does to help it become that way through shrewd advertising, requirements for dealerships to meet, sales training, etc.

It is the advantage of manufacturers to make sure that their products sell for as close to MSRP as possible because it not only builds the brand but also will have many qualified sales people wanting to sell that car line. And as cars become more complicated and require more explanation, the need for good sales people becomes more important. You aren't going to retain qualified sales people if your brand is sinking into the mire and, afterall, sales people are the biggest part of the experience a person has when they look at or buy a brand.

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
It's still worth noting, though, that Acura ends up getting the money they want, incentives or no.

Take leasing, for example: Even though I leased my RL at a cap cost of about $40,000 on paper, the lease payments are higher than on the '06 Infiniti M45 I leased for a cap cost of almost $50,000. It's the shell game of residuals and money factors at work. The Infiniti just had its residual pumped up and its money factors squeezed down to move cars.

It works similarly for buying, although some of the difference is made up in low trade-in allowances and higher used car sales prices. Still, look at the finance charges, where they also get you on the way out.

All in all, it's maybe just a different way of marketing. You can stand tough like Lexus or M-B and refuse to come off your MSRP much if any, or you can tease customers with discounts and then make it back in the 'business office'.

Either way, as long as Acura gets more than true invoice for their cars, they're making money. And since they don't have to support the huge overheads of lavish showrooms and things like expense accounts for salesmen (my M-B salesman recently took my wife and me out for a 5-star dinner and after-dinner cocktails at 2 different hot night spots!), they don't need to make thousands on each sale.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Red face

I would have to agree with CL6, that the brand has to set expectations. These incentives, and DEEP incentives are setting expectations that the Acura brand is typically negotiable. I remember having an impression that Acura was pretty much a sticker price car company, and if you got $500 off sticker, that was a deal. That has now changed, and however good as the 3rd Gen RL may turn out to be, I will be expecting discounts (aside form the initial launch period). If not 1st model year, I would wait until I saw them...as I would be expecting now.

Although I know Lexus can be negotiated and good discounts are occasionally found, I don't EXPECT them from Lexus. My opinion of Acura has changed.

I wonder if this mentality was brought into focus with the GM and FORD 'giveaway' deals? Could that has sent a precedence to the consumer that is trickling upbrand? The luxury / upscale car market in general seems to be cooling, so there could be various challenges facing this market segment as well as Acura specifically.

CL6...has this been a bad day? How many coffees have you had? Sounds like someone is having a case of the Mondays!

<ducking>
Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Acura gets their money, but if sales decrease then they get fewer sales and less money, obviously. As incentives rise, per unit profit drops, too. Both seem to be happening to Acura.

Holding the line at MSRP is a decision from the dealership level. Althought the NY-NJ-CT Mercedes dealers got busted several years ago for a price fixing scheme. But, how close to MSRP a model sells has a lot to do with how much the manufacturer does to help it become that way through shrewd advertising, requirements for dealerships to meet, sales training, etc.

It is the advantage of manufacturers to make sure that their products sell for as close to MSRP as possible because it not only builds the brand but also will have many qualified sales people wanting to sell that car line. And as cars become more complicated and require more explanation, the need for good sales people becomes more important. You aren't going to retain qualified sales people if your brand is sinking into the mire and, afterall, sales people are the biggest part of the experience a person has when they look at or buy a brand.
Very good points CL6. With family in the car business (and a good understanding of the compensation system), it's the sales people who get hurt the most with an "invoice" sale. If salesmen are turning over left and right, the sales process breaks down and everyone loses -- manufacturer, dealer, customer. Incentives are not the problem as much as these invoice deals that almost seem to be expected lately on the RL.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I would argue that incentives and invoice pricing go hand-in-hand. Look at GM, for example. If you look at the Lexus sales numbers, only a few of their products are growing month-over-month but I don't see them loaded up with incentives the way Acura is. I think the IS and the LS are the only two products that are growing. Dealerships can help their salespeople if prices are headed towards (or below) invoice. Manufacturers can help sales people by offering 'spins' on their cars (money sent directly to the sales people). Even in a downward market sales people can still find success.

But as TampaRL said, honestly, his perception of Acura has changed. I don't think he's close to being the only person who feels that way. It takes years to build a brand but little time to lower it. The trickle-down is already happening with resale values of the previous generation MDX.

Acura tried to combat the trunk money on the 07 RL by producing barely any of them but they had to resort to it with the 08s coming out so the cycle continues. The 04 RL had massive trunk money on it so this generation isn't the only one that's been this way.

I hope the folks at Acura wake up to what they're doing and build a more compelling brand.

A question for the RL people is would you have bought your RL if you were only able to get, say, $1,700.00 off the MSRP?

Very good points CL6. With family in the car business (and a good understanding of the compensation system), it's the sales people who get hurt the most with an "invoice" sale. If salesmen are turning over left and right, the sales process breaks down and everyone loses -- manufacturer, dealer, customer. Incentives are not the problem as much as these invoice deals that almost seem to be expected lately on the RL.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:16 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
"spins" or "spiffs"

I thought it was called the latter. My brother-in-law works for a highend electronics store, and they regualryly get spiffs from Onkyo, Bose and such for selling their products.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by CL6
A question for the RL people is would you have bought your RL if you were only able to get, say, $1,700.00 off the MSRP?
Yep.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by CL6
At 8k below sticker it was a no brainer. At $1700 it would still have been a way better deal then the German cars. The only other choice for me would have been the GS. But I honestly liked the RL better then the GS in every category after driving both. In fact my brother (who works for Acura) liked the GS more then me when he came with me on a test drive. Go figure.

To answer your question; I would have still taken the RL
Old 06-19-2007, 05:55 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Originally Posted by GoHawks
"spins" or "spiffs"

I thought it was called the latter. My brother-in-law works for a highend electronics store, and they regualryly get spiffs from Onkyo, Bose and such for selling their products.
Spiffs from the dealer, spins from the manufacturer. At least in the car biz.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:03 PM
AcurAdmirer

Personally, I have always considered the RL overpriced at $50,000 - even before I knew of the heavy discounting. Why? Simple ... the V-6 engine.

If the exact same car had been offered with a V-8 of about 325-335 hp AND the same sticker price, AND the discounting had never taken place, I would have forked over the $50k MSRP minus $1,700 and felt good about it.

But I believe the existing (V-6) RL would be "right-priced" at about $45,000 or so. (Just compare it to the Infiniti M35, for example.) Therefore, with the discounts, it becomes properly priced IMO. That's when I started giving it serious consideration.

See, for me that's the issue. My first looks at this car were snubbed when I saw the sticker. Huh? 300 hp or not, they ain't gonna sell a V-6 luxury sedan for no 50 grand, I sez to myself. Especially when others were selling V-8 cars at similar prices with similar equipment.

So, I guess my honest answer to your question is that, no, I probably wouldn't buy the RL at $48,300.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:14 PM
White and Nerdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I believe the existing (V-6) RL would be "right-priced" at about $45,000 or so. (Just compare it to the Infiniti M35, for example.) Therefore, with the discounts, it becomes properly priced IMO. That's when I started giving it serious consideration.

See, for me that's the issue. My first looks at this car were snubbed when I saw the sticker. Huh? 300 hp or not, they ain't gonna sell a V-6 luxury sedan for no 50 grand, I sez to myself. Especially when others were selling V-8 cars at similar prices with similar equipment.

I guess maybe things are different down south, but a comparably equipped M35x stickers for around 50 large as well, at least up here in the Northeast (where demand for AWD is higher).

I wonder how many M35x's, however, Infiniti is selling. Maybe they are not selling that many as well.

For luxury nameplates, I think that the bar for AWD with V-8 engines is now clearly above $60,000. Even without AWD, the majority of luxury V-8 models are above $60,000, especially when you start adding options. You can still get a Chrysler 300 or an Impala with a V-8 for under that, but I don't consider those cars in the same league. Even a Caddi with a V-8 and options is going to be near the $50K mark.

I don't disagree that the prices for these cars are getting rediculous, but I don't think Acura's pricing of the RL was that out of whack with the rest of the industry. I do think that the whole industry, however, is certainly out of whack for pricing V-6 luxury sedans so high, and is probably one of the reasons why luxury car sales have reportedly been slumping (per newspaper articles...I have not seen the hard data, so take that opinion with a grain of salt).
Old 06-19-2007, 07:55 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
I guess maybe things are different down south, but a comparably equipped M35x stickers for around 50 large as well, at least up here in the Northeast (where demand for AWD is higher).

I wonder how many M35x's, however, Infiniti is selling. Maybe they are not selling that many as well.

For luxury nameplates, I think that the bar for AWD with V-8 engines is now clearly above $60,000. Even without AWD, the majority of luxury V-8 models are above $60,000, especially when you start adding options. You can still get a Chrysler 300 or an Impala with a V-8 for under that, but I don't consider those cars in the same league. Even a Caddi with a V-8 and options is going to be near the $50K mark.

I don't disagree that the prices for these cars are getting rediculous, but I don't think Acura's pricing of the RL was that out of whack with the rest of the industry. I do think that the whole industry, however, is certainly out of whack for pricing V-6 luxury sedans so high, and is probably one of the reasons why luxury car sales have reportedly been slumping (per newspaper articles...I have not seen the hard data, so take that opinion with a grain of salt).
No, I haven't priced the M35X, but I know my well-optioned '06 M45 (Nav, BT, articulating xenon headlights, air-conditioned seats, etc., etc.) stickered for $52,000 and I got $2500 off MSRP right after they came out, so my price was $49,500. I could have gotten an M35 (not the X) for mid to low $40's, but that big V-8 was too tempting to pass up.

So it was in this frame of mind that I looked at the RL and thought "You gotta be kiddin'!" 50k for a six, and a smaller car at that? Sure, it has AWD, but who cares in Texas? LOL. (And I'd still like to see a RWD version offered.)

Old 06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
It is very much a different way of marketing. Unless one was a very informed customer, one might not expect that Lexus ES and GS sell at invoice, with RX selling for less. A MB E class can be had for $2K below invoice. MB quietly puts huge trunk money into year end or slow moving cars. Last fall a R Class could possibly be had for $12K below invoice. However, you don't normally expect that from Lexus and MB. Perhaps they let these deals go and make it up on the average.

I would have to agree with CL6, that the brand has to set expectations. These incentives, and DEEP incentives are setting expectations that the Acura brand is typically negotiable. I remember having an impression that Acura was pretty much a sticker price car company, and if you got $500 off sticker, that was a deal. That has now changed, and however good as the 3rd Gen RL may turn out to be, I will be expecting discounts (aside form the initial launch period). If not 1st model year, I would wait until I saw them...as I would be expecting now.
I would agree with that as well. When I bougth me MSX, they were all at MSRP or a token $500 discount. I passed on a 2 gen TL in 01 partially due to the firm pricing. I too have been conditioned to expect a discount, although not as much as for a GM. It's funny how we get conditioned. In the market for a CUV as well. Buick Enclave looks interesting, but I will not pay much over invoice if I decide to buy one and I have not even seen it! They can't keep those things in stock and I have already decided it's "value"

I will have to give you a theoretical answer, since I have not pulled the trigger on anything yet. I have too flexible a budget and time line. I will ask sales folks about cars ranging from $40K to $60K and I see dollar signs in their eyes, I tell them that it's not the absolute price that matters, but the relative price. Once I decide what I want, then I expect a good market deal based on how much I know of the market and the amount of work I am willing to invest in it. Don't expect to grind the last dollar, but they should not expect a laydown, since I have such a broad budget. So if the RL's market price was $1700 of MRSP and I chose it , then yes I would buy it at that price. However, if I was really in a high 30's budget and had to stretch to get it, then the answer is no.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Yes. I wouldn't have spent as much on mods as quickly as I have, though, as a result. Discounted RL + mods + install=almost MSRP for me.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
White and Nerdy

No, I haven't priced the M35X, but I know my well-optioned '06 M45 (Nav, BT, articulating xenon headlights, air-conditioned seats, etc., etc.) stickered for $52,000 and I got $2500 off MSRP right after they came out, so my price was $49,500. I could have gotten an M35 (not the X) for mid to low $40's, but that big V-8 was too tempting to pass up.

So it was in this frame of mind that I looked at the RL and thought "You gotta be kiddin'!" 50k for a six, and a smaller car at that? Sure, it has AWD, but who cares in Texas? LOL. (And I'd still like to see a RWD version offered.)

Yeah...I think we should get an "AWD discount" up north here!!!

I think AWD adds a good 3-5,000 to the price of most cars in this class, almost the equivalent of a V-8. The M35x with all the options goes for 49,322 invoice price, at least up here. M45 sport with all the toys is $49,695 invoice (per Edmunds and my zip code).

With the snow and hills up here, I am fully willing to lose two cylinders and add two wheels drivin! But I am envious of your V-8 (and nicer weather!)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 PM
AcurAdmirer

Yeah...I think we should get an "AWD discount" up north here!!!

I think AWD adds a good 3-5,000 to the price of most cars in this class, almost the equivalent of a V-8. The M35x with all the options goes for 49,322 invoice price, at least up here. M45 sport with all the toys is $49,695 invoice (per Edmunds and my zip code).

With the snow and hills up here, I am fully willing to lose two cylinders and add two wheels drivin! But I am envious of your V-8 (and nicer weather!)

Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Go Big Blue!

I hear everyone talk about the pleasure of a V-8 and I honestly don't get it. Can someone elaborate on the key desires for a v-8? Keep in mind, I'm a guy's guy. I've owned muscle cars in my youth and drove like an idiot like most teenage guys. I get that aspect of it. But this is not a muscle car. It's a luxuary sedan. Also, it seems none of us are teenagers anymore racing others to the next red light. Why is a V-8 so important?

Personally I found this 3.5 v6 to be just right. It's got plenty of low end torque to jump off a red light if you need to cut over for some reason. It's got plenty of high end torque to squeeze into the fast lane on a highway. Why would people not buy an RL simply because it doesn't have a v-8? Is it back to that "image" thing again or is there something practical I'm missing?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 AM
AcurAdmirer

I hear everyone talk about the pleasure of a V-8 and I honestly don't get it. Can someone elaborate on the key desires for a v-8? Keep in mind, I'm a guy's guy. I've owned muscle cars in my youth and drove like an idiot like most teenage guys. I get that aspect of it. But this is not a muscle car. It's a luxuary sedan. Also, it seems none of us are teenagers anymore racing others to the next red light. Why is a V-8 so important?

Personally I found this 3.5 v6 to be just right. It's got plenty of low end torque to jump off a red light if you need to cut over for some reason. It's got plenty of high end torque to squeeze into the fast lane on a highway. Why would people not buy an RL simply because it doesn't have a v-8? Is it back to that "image" thing again or is there something practical I'm missing?
I'm not sure I can answer it for you satisfactorily, Mikey, since it's a "visceral" thing in a way. For me, it's the assurance that I always have a reserve of power for any situation, whether it's recovering from an ill-timed pass on a two-lane highway, or accelerating onto a busy freeway and merging safely into fast-moving traffic. I always to feel like I have lots more power on tap than I'll actually use.

The RL's V-6 provides a commendable amount of power for "almost" all situations but "almost" doesn't fit my definition. I've maxed out my RL on a couple of occasions already, in part because I am used to a V-8. But I don't think I ever maxed out the 8 in, for example, my Bimmers, or my M45.

It's a personal preference thing, but I still feel the RL lacks a little thrust at highway speeds, when I might want (or need) a burst of power to get the job done. As a result, I sometimes end up puttering along behind an 18-wheeler for more miles than I'd like, whereas with V-8 torque I'd feel confident to make that pass and move on.

It's NOT a boy-racer thing, at least for me. I will not race people, primarily because it could mean my license if I got caught, and it's not worth it just to show some other guy I'm faster.

In short, the RL's 3.5 liter 6 is a nice engine, but I can't get away from the feeling that it is just a little "short", especially since it's being called upon to drive all four wheels. Bolt on two more cylinders, add a few more ponies and up the torque to 300 or so, and I'd be a happier boy. But that's just me.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Racer

The incentive made me buy NEW instead of USED. I had planned on buying a used '05, but last October, they had a $3,000 incentive that pushed me towards the new. Without that incentive, I would be driving a used '05 right now.

Note: I wanted an RL regardless.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Mike,

I could not agree with you more! I just left a 7-series BMW to come to the Acura RL world, and I still miss the V8. Don't get me wrong, the V6 does a good job but I still miss the torque. I've owned the RL since late last year and still think it is going to break every time I hear the VTEC kick in! It is a perception as well as a physics thing, but torque is NOT. You either have it or not.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in...

Later,

I'm not sure I can answer it for you satisfactorily, Mikey, since it's a "visceral" thing in a way. For me, it's the assurance that I always have a reserve of power for any situation, whether it's recovering from an ill-timed pass on a two-lane highway, or accelerating onto a busy freeway and merging safely into fast-moving traffic. I always to feel like I have lots more power on tap than I'll actually use.

The RL's V-6 provides a commendable amount of power for "almost" all situations but "almost" doesn't fit my definition. I've maxed out my RL on a couple of occasions already, in part because I am used to a V-8. But I don't think I ever maxed out the 8 in, for example, my Bimmers, or my M45.

It's a personal preference thing, but I still feel the RL lacks a little thrust at highway speeds, when I might want (or need) a burst of power to get the job done. As a result, I sometimes end up puttering along behind an 18-wheeler for more miles than I'd like, whereas with V-8 torque I'd feel confident to make that pass and move on.

It's NOT a boy-racer thing, at least for me. I will not race people, primarily because it could mean my license if I got caught, and it's not worth it just to show some other guy I'm faster.

In short, the RL's 3.5 liter 6 is a nice engine, but I can't get away from the feeling that it is just a little "short", especially since it's being called upon to drive all four wheels. Bolt on two more cylinders, add a few more ponies and up the torque to 300 or so, and I'd be a happier boy. But that's just me.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Roy Cya
Mike,

I could not agree with you more! I just left a 7-series BMW to come to the Acura RL world, and I still miss the V8. Don't get me wrong, the V6 does a good job but I still miss the torque. I've owned the RL since late last year and still think it is going to break every time I hear the VTEC kick in! It is a perception as well as a physics thing, but torque is NOT. You either have it or not.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in...

Later,
I guess it must have finally happened. Wasn't sure when it would occur, but I guess I must drive like an old man now. I never feel like my 3.5 doesn't have enough power for me. Now I'm depressed
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Mikey,

don't feel bad on my account!!!! You want to talk about depressed?!? My daily driver is a 99 Mitsu Galant GTZ; now that's depressing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It actually does me good because I've given up the sudden "urges" to show others who the man is. Further, I can save on gas when on business road trips (at least once to three times a week), which is the real reason not to drive the RL full time.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
AcurAdmirer

I guess it must have finally happened. Wasn't sure when it would occur, but I guess I must drive like an old man now. I never feel like my 3.5 doesn't have enough power for me. Now I'm depressed
And at only 46 ...

Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Go Big Blue!

Thanks for rubbing it in! And I was so cool racing around in my first new car -- an '84 5L v8 T-Top Trans Am. What happened? Now I drive a 3.5 v6 4 door sedan and evidently can't use all the power.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Mike,

you are ruthless!! I guess that's where I'll be in a short 6 years....

Que sera, sera!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
"I've owned the RL since late last year and still think it is going to break every time I hear the VTEC kick in! It is a perception as well as a physics thing, but torque is NOT. You either have it or not. "

Not sure what this means, are you afraid the engine is fragile? My experience is Honda V6 engines are extremely well designed and built, from experience with at least 6 of them. Seems like a lot of co's copied VTec too. That's one of my main reasons I stay with Acura, they are very dependable and well engineered cars.

Worrying about something breaking seems more fitting for a BMW or a MB from what I read.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
"I've owned the RL since late last year and still think it is going to break every time I hear the VTEC kick in! It is a perception as well as a physics thing, but torque is NOT. You either have it or not. "

Not sure what this means, are you afraid the engine is fragile? My experience is Honda V6 engines are extremely well designed and built, from experience with at least 6 of them. Seems like a lot of co's copied VTec too. That's one of my main reasons I stay with Acura, they are very dependable and well engineered cars.

Worrying about something breaking seems more fitting for a BMW or a MB from what I read.

Not to speak for Mike (but I'm gonna anyway )

I don't think anyone really feels the engine will break. It's just that YOU KNOW that the engine is working. You can hear it and feel it, where with a V8 give you a more effortless feel as you acclerate.

I understand that, but I personally feel that the RL has more than enough for me. The other day I jumped on it and I smirked a little as it shot out. I guess I don't dip into the accelerator that much. That must mean I'm getting old as well.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Not to speak for Mike (but I'm gonna anyway )

I don't think anyone really feels the engine will break. It's just that YOU KNOW that the engine is working. You can hear it and feel it, where with a V8 give you a more effortless feel as you acclerate.

I understand that, but I personally feel that the RL has more than enough for me. The other day I jumped on it and I smirked a little as it shot out. I guess I don't dip into the accelerator that much. That must mean I'm getting old as well.

(Pssst ... Just for the record, it wasn't I who said the engine sounds like it's gonna break. It was Roy.)

But it DOES make a kind of clattery racket when pushed hard. I think that's because the RL's ANC snuffs out the bass sound that would normally mask the clatter.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Go Big Blue!

But it DOES make a kind of clattery racket when pushed hard. I think that's because the RL's ANC snuffs out the bass sound that would normally mask the clatter.

That's a very very good point. I thought about that once before when I was reading an article where the author was complaining that the engine didn't sound like a $50k car. That noise cancelling system removes all the low rumbling sounds. All that's left is the whining when you jump on it. Hold your hand over the mic and the car doesn't sound so much like a Civic anymore.

Poor Acura, they can't win for loosing
Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 PM

(Pssst ... Just for the record, it wasn't I who said the engine sounds like it's gonna break. It was Roy.)

Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
What sportscar was it that had ports in the front cabin so you could hear the exhaust sound better? I think it was a BMW sportster?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor

That's what I get for getting on a plane instead of posting on AZ!!!! The guys pretty much explained what I meant about the motor "breaking" or sounding like it's working itself to death. Anyway, please continue the conversation without me, you're doing fine... From now on, I am driving with my windows down and the radio off!!!!!!

By the way, 123456SPEED, I agree with your comment about BMWs and MBs not being very reliable. I got burned BAD when I got rid of the Bimmer, for the Acura. I'm sure that explains my reasoning for getting the RL.

Keep up the good work y'all!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Was that the M Roadster?

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
What sportscar was it that had ports in the front cabin so you could hear the exhaust sound better? I think it was a BMW sportster?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Racer

why does it matter if it is popular, or you pay a lot of money for it, if you like it and you think it is a good product? I get your point, you want external adulation and approval, but I also think you should just go buy a different car, spend a lot more money, so you can feel the adulation from others that you are seeking. I could understand if you make your money selling the cars, and you are taking a loss, or you work in the marketing or advertising company and trying to quantify your marketing/adv expenses, but otherwise the argument seems a bit superficial. I mean if you like the car then what does the incentive or popularity matter. I don't get it..I get that the car is not popular, but maybe that is a good thing. This is the difference in being a leader, not a follower....
btw...
Expect an advance every 4 years. Everyone knows Honda does it every 4 years.. They will come out with a super expensive car , then everyone will be bitching about how expensive it is..
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Racer

I was at a graduation last night and at least three kids were names "Mercedes". Proof that the brand has prestige about it. I didn't hear any kids named "Acura" by the way.

There were a couple named "Alexis" but that doesn't count for Lexus, does it?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by gavine
I was at a graduation last night and at least three kids were names "Mercedes". Proof that the brand has prestige about it. I didn't hear any kids named "Acura" by the way.

There were a couple named "Alexis" but that doesn't count for Lexus, does it?
LOL. That gave me a chuckle. Thanks!

Actually "Mercedes" is a real name. Long before Mercedes Benz came around. It's a girls name common in Spain.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Unfortunately, Lexus IS a made-up name and there are many unfortunate children who carry the name.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Go Big Blue!

That's pathetic

Ya know, that comment from Gavine got me curious. I looked up the origins of the Mercedes Benz name. Did you guys know that was the name of one of the founders daughters?

I didn't know that. At 46 I can still learn a few things. I'm gonna take the rest of the day off now
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Racer

Enjoy the afternoon off there SpicyMikey.....go to DisneyWorld or something....or you can go for a joy ride in your rich neighbor's OldsmoBuick. :-)

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)