2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
4 yrs is a possibility. the 5th gen accord was only made from 94-97
Old 08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Honda cars are definitely on the 4 year cycle, especially the bread and butter Civic and Accord. Same with the Toyota Corolla and Camry. Luxury vehicles and light trucks (including vans and SUVs) have been on a longer schedule, and let's hope the last RL is no indication of the cycle this one will be on 1996 to 2004 was way too long.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-S RPh
I have a hard time believing that Acura will launch a new RL (09) only 4 years after the current one. That is very unHondalike. Plus, didn't the Legend launch after the RL overseas? Honda won't abandon the current car this quickly. Maybe the quad tips are a RL Type-S? Now that would be awesome.
Well, there are those who believe and have heard that the RL will change out early because of dismal sales, in favor of a new RL more suitable to the American audience. Personally, I think that would be nice as long as they don't FUBAR the looks and features.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Well, there are those who believe and have heard that the RL will change out early because of dismal sales, in favor of a new RL more suitable to the American audience. Personally, I think that would be nice as long as they don't FUBAR the looks and features.
yes, there are credible folks who have said to expect changes to the looks of the RL in 09. Whether that's a agressive MMC or a full redesign is not clear, but there definitely seems to be real changes coming in 09
Old 08-24-2007, 03:42 PM
fap fap fap

Originally Posted by Chas2
Honda cars are definitely on the 4 year cycle, especially the bread and butter Civic and Accord. Same with the Toyota Corolla and Camry. .

no, theyre on a 5 yr cycle
Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
no, theyre on a 5 yr cycle
but honda isn't sticking to it so far on the RL, it was sue for a slight change in 2008, but nothing changed, not even an additional feature, so this could spell that they are veering off course for the rl on the 5 year cycle
Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 AM
fap fap fap

Originally Posted by csmeance
but honda isn't sticking to it so far on the RL, it was sue for a slight change in 2008, but nothing changed, not even an additional feature, so this could spell that they are veering off course for the rl on the 5 year cycle
the guy mentioned camry/accord/civic/corolla. i was talking about those
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's difficult to tell with all of the wraps on it but I see hints of a Nissan Maxima...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=703310
Old 08-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Wake me up when we see mockups of the next RL in the wild. (prays to the deities of car styling that Acura doesn't FUBAR the styling of the next RL)
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
It's difficult to tell with all of the wraps on it but I see hints of a Nissan Maxima...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=703310
The heavily bolstered seats, the dual outboard air intakes under the bumper, rain gutter side rails, and what looks to be a faint white haze on the dashboard all speak to TL rather than RL. The sharp edge to the rear door does have a little Maxima to it. I also see a little "flying buttress" in the rear window, which slightly picks up on the current TL's gently contoured trunk. My money is that this is the next TL.

That rolling car cover does a pretty good job concealing the vehicle (better than the funky tape patterns and checkerboard stickers seen on some of the European car spy shots).

Rob144
Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Indian Acura Driver

It would be nifty to have a V10 in the RL.

As you say, a V6, V8 and a V10...that would infact follow BMW and Audi.

V6 would be the starter, you could have the V8 as a better package. That alone puts the RL against, everything in it's class. Then you can do one up;

V10 in the RL and name RL Type S. If a V10 from the NSX is dropped into the RL, you would have roughly 500 - 550HP.

If you put that with the SH-AWD system, i think it would do well against the BMW M5, Mercedes Benz E63 AMG and the Audi S8.

We also already know that Lexus after the ISF, plans to have a GS-F as well, to compete against the M5, E63 and S8....It'd be a good move for Acura to get into that territory along with Lexus at the same time.

That's just me, but I do think it'd be cool. Obvious it would get pricy, since right now the E63, M5, S8 and CTS-V all top 100k price range....so it would be pretty intense to do, but if with the RL, it's even say 85k, I'm sure it'd sell....
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I'll just say this (and if it's already been said it bears repeating):

If the re-styled RL looks ANYTHING like the new Accord pictured in my Car & Driver, I'm going to be one disappointed Acura fan. Of course, I haven't seen it in person, but in the pictures it looks like ca-ca with a capital ca.

Accords have always looked pleasant, even if not stylish, but this one looks like the product of a sake binge in the styling department. I suspect someone at Honda will be falling on his sword over this.

(Forgive the bad scan.)

Old 08-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The new Accord exterior design looks like a Hyundai design trying to mimic BMW. I don't care for it.

The new Accord interior speaks to me of what the next TSX should look like.

I would not mind seeing some edginess infused into the next RLs styling (although I love the curent style), but I hope the RL does not take cues from the new Accord.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, this view from the website looks a little better ...

In fact, it almost looks a little like the current RL if you hold your mouth just right.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Unhappy

I don't see it. Individual design elements are interesting, the character line, the headlight profile, etc. But it does not all integrate and flow as well as the RL does.

I still think it looks like Hyundai mimicking BMW.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I don't see it. Individual design elements are interesting, the character line, the headlight profile, etc. But it does not all integrate and flow as well as the RL does.

I still think it looks like Hyundai mimicing BMW.
Oh, I don't disagree, Tampa. I could just see some RL styling cues in the rear decklid, the side-view of the tail lights, etc. It's admittedly a stretch.

But overall, it is - as you say - very Korean-looking. I think it was the last-generation full-size Hyundai where I last saw tail lights like that.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Racer

To me, it looks like a Hyundai Sonata from the back and an Infititi G35 from the side (especially the C-pillar). Not too bad. I think it will grow on me, especially in-person. Not even close to an RL though.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I hope it's just the Accord pix that look so-bad.
It's never been a looker but it seems like it lost focus, it does not evoke that Honda feeling to me. 3 separate design committees, front, middle and back. the grill is horrible in pix.
the interior is nice, looks like the current TSX in some respects.
the coupe is better but gotta see it in the skin. I love coupes but can't see myself in an Accord after enjoying Legend and CLS coupes.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I like the new Accord style. It is heads above the 7G Accord, which was just...plain...fugly. Ewwww. If I were an Accord-head, I'd be happy.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
AcurAdmirer

I like the new Accord style. It is heads above the 7G Accord, which was just...plain...fugly. Ewwww. If I were an Accord-head, I'd be happy.
Bob, if I were a neurologist (and I'm not), I'd recommend a complete brain scan series on you to rule out the possibility that extraterrestrials have taken control of your body, or are exercising some insidious form of mind control over you.

That's the only thing that could explain your acceptance of the '08 Accord styling. That, or maybe you are secretly a member of the Honda design team and just haven't revealed that to us. Hmmmmmm. Is that it? Are you? Are you? Are you?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:54 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am happy with my RL...but...the accord with its new TL look and bigger than RL size really apeals to me. In 5 months when they are selling this car for near invoice, it will be a great deal. This is a lot of car for the money. You will be able to get a fully equiped Accord for about 27k. That is opposed to spending 38k+ for the deep discounted basic RL. With the Accord you will be getting a well made larger car (mainly in back seat area) without HID's.

My wife liked my hid's on my 03 TL she insisted I get them for her 02 Avalon...she wouldn't take no for an answer. I did a buy it now on ebay and bought a set from a company directly in China. Three days later the kit arrived, a half an hour later it was installed...total cost including freight was $145...the value of satisfying my picky wife...priceless.

The specs on the stereo "sound" good...the Nav system looks like our child...Honda is willing to sacrifice its Acura division to save its volume machine Honda.

All Acura 08 models will sell later this year for several thousand below invoice. The MDX might be only 1k below. The TL maybe 1.5k below. The RDX was so overpriced that i imagine when they do 4k marketing support they are still making 5k on each tick. Before second generation of RL are done, you will see at least 5k support.

Bob talked about only 558 RL's sold in July...September, October, & November combined may be less than that...time will tell (08 models ...not including sales of leftover 07 or even 06 models)
Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
new accord styling=fugly
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Moderator

The 7G Accord was so fugly that instead of considering one, I moved straight to Acura. The 2G TL was MUCH better-looking and well worth the money at the time.

Compared to that, it doesn't take much improvement to make something better-looking, and the 8G Accord is better. Not pulse-pounding like the new Caddy CTS, but then it's not meant to be. Most people will drive it for the appliance (with great driving dynamics, hopefully!) it is.

Mike, I'll go get my MRI immediately.

(prays again that the 3G RL is not fugly and that the Acura design team doesn't have early-onset dementia with visuospatial affectations )
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Go Big Blue!

Should I dare say that I think the new Accord looks pretty good ?

I've seen some photo's that make it look like crap (Mike's first photo that started us on this tangent falls into that category). But, I've seen other photos that make it look more aggressive then the prior gen. I'll have to see it in person before making final judgement
Old 08-31-2007, 03:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I think the new Accord looks like a BMW ripoff.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The bigger, more powerful, and more expensive '09 RL will be here before you know it, or is the '08 Accord sounding the death knell for the Acura brand?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Rexorg
The bigger, more powerful, and more expensive '09 RL will be here before you know it, or is the '08 Accord sounding the death knell for the Acura brand?
Let's not get over dramatic now. The Acura brand is far from dead. Clearly, Honda has made some bad strategic moves with this brand. They've clearly not maintained enough separation between Honda and Acura. But the brand is still well respected and can be turned around in one or two years with the right moves. Lets see what happens in 09/10 and then ask your question again.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Let's not get over dramatic now. The Acura brand is far from dead. Clearly, Honda has made some bad strategic moves with this brand. They've clearly not maintained enough separation between Honda and Acura. But the brand is still well respected and can be turned around in one or two years with the right moves. Lets see what happens in 09/10 and then ask your question again.
Over dramatic? No, just realistic! As Tonto would say as he pressed his ear to the ground, "Kemo Sabe, many horses come from East. You go to meet them? Me wait for you at camp of Chief Doubting Bull from Seminole tribe when you return in 13 moons with new RL Then we trade Silver and Scout at trading post for much wampum and buy fire water and ride many days to Las Vegas to meet Seigfried & Roy!?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Not pulse-pounding like the new Caddy CTS, but then it's not meant to be. Most people will drive it for the appliance (with great driving dynamics, hopefully!) it is. )
What is it with all the poitive comments about the 2008 CTS? I think that thing is very ugly and that the looks will age very quickly.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by kmcheney
What is it with all the poitive comments about the 2008 CTS? I think that thing is very ugly and that the looks will age very quickly.

Just my humble opinion.
It may be because the automotive press, some of whom have seen it and driven it, is absolutely raving about it. And apparently, it is the best vehicle GM has built in decades, bar none.

As for it not aging well, all I can say is that it looks a lot like the outgoing CTS, which has been a stellar sales success. And by making it better-looking (less narrow and tall, better interior design and materials, etc.), and no longer underpowered (with the direct-injection, 304 hp V-6), it will probably be a runaway sales success, too.

I guess that's why.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
i still hope the flagship car (RL, or whatever it maybe in the future) is still made and designed in Japan. somehow, i like cars that are made overseas better..heh.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kmcheney
What is it with all the poitive comments about the 2008 CTS?
Cuz it rox!

Actually, Caddy is proving that there are people with brains at GM, and they have finally left behind the mentality that "we are GM, people will come to us".

CTS is getting props because GM is moving in the right direction and it is an awesome car for the price. I am a long-time Honda buyer and will be looking hard at a Caddy the next time I buy a new car. I never, ever, ever thought I'd ever look at an American car outside of the Corvette again.

I'll probably still buy an Acura, but I'll be looking hard at Caddy.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Proboscis-free zone

The new Accord exterior design looks like a Hyundai design trying to mimic BMW. I don't care for it.
Agree, agree. That Accord in rear 3/4 view is one fugly and highly discombobulated grandpa car with Hyundai lines and BMW wheels. Finally though, Honda has hit on a strategy to force buyers upmarket to Acura!!

Was I dreaming the other day? From a distance of about 1/10 of a mile, right in my neighborhood, I saw the rear end of a GORGEOUS silver car that looked like it could have been a next-gen RL. I could have sworn I saw Acura badging. But I blinked and it was gone. It's too soon, and I know they wrap those test mules pretty tight, so it must have been a Mercedes S-class--or perhaps a minor hallucination.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by VOdoc
But I blinked and it was gone. It's too soon, and I know they wrap those test mules pretty tight, so it must have been a Mercedes S-class--or perhaps a minor hallucination.
.....drugs are bad.....m'kay?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by VOdoc
Agree, agree. That Accord in rear 3/4 view is one fugly and highly discombobulated grandpa car with Hyundai lines and BMW wheels. Finally though, Honda has hit on a strategy to force buyers upmarket to Acura!!

Was I dreaming the other day? From a distance of about 1/10 of a mile, right in my neighborhood, I saw the rear end of a GORGEOUS silver car that looked like it could have been a next-gen RL. I could have sworn I saw Acura badging. But I blinked and it was gone. It's too soon, and I know they wrap those test mules pretty tight, so it must have been a Mercedes S-class--or perhaps a minor hallucination.
Writing too many prescriptions to yourself again?

Could have been the latest gen MB-E. I got tricked recently by one from behind. They have a white that looks a lot like the RL pearl white.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
AcurAdmirer

It could have been a UFO. There have been a lot of sightings in the L.A. area lately. And many of them are indeed silver.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
It could have been a UFO. There have been a lot of sightings in the L.A. area lately. And many of them are indeed silver.

That would have been a Lexus SC. Undeniably Fugly Object.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM
AcurAdmirer

That would have been a Lexus SC. Undeniably Fugly Object.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Cadillac resurrected itself with the '03 CTS. They have sold a ton of them and made tons of $$$$. I was one of the first persons in the USA to actually own the CTS in December of 2002. Great car, but too many 1st year bugs and the rear end seals were horrible. Also, power was only 225 hp. It needed at least 275hp. The new model with 304 hp will sell better than the original IMHO. If I were ever to buy an American car again the CTS would be at the top of my list. For now though, I will stick with Honda/Acura.

Quick Reply: 2009 RL (press releases and pics pages 41-3)