Any Dallas area meets? - July 22 (Thread Retired)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 08:27 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CasperTL
Just thought I'd say that I quite enjoyed your lovely name calling to the civic . I say the same thing! What do you know .

"...Come here ya little biatch..."
haha I cut out the clips of me talkin' even more shit before we got to the racing point... if I were to have lost it would have been an embarrassment...

o yeah and watching the video I noticed his last 2 honks were too fast and he got the jump on me... bastard...
Old 11-18-2002, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by civic4982
haha I cut out the clips of me talkin' even more shit before we got to the racing point... if I were to have lost it would have been an embarrassment...

o yeah and watching the video I noticed his last 2 honks were too fast and he got the jump on me... bastard...

if you were to lost, it would be like this thread:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=1

(the 240sx in the video is my friend who whooped me while we were "playing" a while ago- also when i got my flat tire)
Old 11-18-2002, 10:15 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by chrisbpickering
Well, I can get the air ride for $2,200. That's the high end cylinders, acumulators, larger pump, larger tank, better valves, etc. That setup normally runs 4k, but I am getting a deal (for helping him out with some other stuff). He has a setup for around 1400 too which has the normal stuff, but I want acumulators for the softer ride at middle height.

Coilovers won't give me the instant ride height adjustment I am looking for.
Chris, I'm not familar with those brand of springs, but perhaps you might want to try Comptechs. ??

Also, looking at your mods, I would say that the spings were only part of your problem. Those 225/40 are at least half the problem.

Here's something you may want to try.

Replace the 225/40s with a slightly taller 45 or even 50 tire. The amount of rubber between you and the road has A LOT to do with a softer ride.

Also worth noting, I've notices guys who've kept their stock 215/50s claim to notice no change in their ride. I on the other hand have noticed a slightly rougher ride after putting on my springs. And I have 225/45 as opposed to 215/50s that Danny, Inferno and PlanoTLS have. As a result, I', considering going back to 215/50s, but after I wear these puppies out.

And, I think you'll close the gap between your fenders and your tires by going with a slightly taller 215/50 series. My TLS has slightly more gap and it's noticeable.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Ruf
Old 11-18-2002, 10:56 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by DuckBlue

(the 240sx in the video is my friend who whooped me while we were "playing" a while ago- also when i got my flat tire)
the 240 woulda been dead on with me. he beat the GSR'ed civic by .5 a carlength as well... I forgot how fast these itty bitty cars can be cuz of their weight... I wanna get my hands on a nice S14 someday and play with it...
Old 11-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Lead Footed

o yeah here's my thread on the GSR swapped civic if you guys wanna read and see the video...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=86281
Civic, you are one racing addict. Just don't get yerself toasted or busted.

BTW - I checked the 69 Camaro vs the NOS Mustang race, and that was more like what I remember street racing was like. Especially the sound of the motor and the Chevy whipping the Ford.

Ruf
Old 11-18-2002, 11:00 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

for some raeson that video crashed my windows media player after half way through...
Old 11-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Still trolling

Thanks RUF, see below.

Chris, I'm not familar with those brand of springs, but perhaps you might want to try Comptechs. ??
I haven't heard the greatest things about the Intrax springs either after the fact.
Also, looking at your mods, I would say that the spings were only part of your problem. Those 225/40 are at least half the problem.
Yes, I feel bumps and cracks in the road more with the lower profile tire. But that was not the ride problems I was having. Buring the wheel into the wenderwell enough to crack the trim in there was teh ride problem. Way to soft when driving down the interstate at 70mph and going over the waves in the road (I was floating). NOw without the springs, and same wheels and tires, It rides like a champ w/the 4x4 look and body roll

Here's something you may want to try.

Replace the 225/40s with a slightly taller 45 or even 50 tire. The amount of rubber between you and the road has A LOT to do with a softer ride.

Also worth noting, I've notices guys who've kept their stock 215/50s claim to notice no change in their ride. I on the other hand have noticed a slightly rougher ride after putting on my springs. And I have 225/45 as opposed to 215/50s that Danny, Inferno and PlanoTLS have. As a result, I', considering going back to 215/50s, but after I wear these puppies out.

And, I think you'll close the gap between your fenders and your tires by going with a slightly taller 215/50 series. My TLS has slightly more gap and it's noticeable.
Yeah, taller tires will provide a ride where imperfections in the road are less noticable, but liek I said uabove, that wasn't the ride problem that bothered me. My upper control arms prevent me from any taller of a profile on the 18" wheels. I would have to go to a 17" to put a higher profile tire on there, otherwise the tire will rub the upper control arm in the fron and rear.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Coilovers won't give me the instant ride height adjustment I am looking for.
But if performance is more of an issue than looks, coilovers are definetly the way you want to go.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:14 PM
SHIFT_god

Wow, that was Tony!?!? I figured he would do better than that. I can understand getting pulled on by the turbo Prelude, but he didn't quite beat the Cobra like I thought he would.

the 240 woulda been dead on with me. he beat the GSR'ed civic by .5 a carlength as well... I forgot how fast these itty bitty cars can be cuz of their weight... I wanna get my hands on a nice S14 someday and play with it...
I'm surprised you're so optimistic about hanging with an S14 w/ an SR20DET, especially when DuckBlue got his a$$ handed to him by the same vehicle...

if you see a gold S14 with a crazy lookin wide mouth body kit, wave. It's my buddy Ryan . He may be coming with us friday and saturday. At least I want him too.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:25 PM
SHIFT_god

Hey I just wanted you guys opinion.

I've got a hookup at Discount Tire and I'm gonna get these rims for my Max. I know they'll slow me down, but DAMN do they look good.

I'm gonna end up getting these for $1760 out the door. What do you think...
Old 11-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Sign: Slippery When Wet

Kool Weels

I assume thats wheel and tires. Thay realy look good. Why do you say they will slow you down?
Old 11-18-2002, 03:44 PM
SHIFT_god

Re: Kool Weels

Originally posted by Bluesman
I assume thats wheel and tires. Thay realy look good. Why do you say they will slow you down?
Thanx. They will slow me down because the wheels are 18x8 and i'm going with a 225/40-R18 tire .

I'll be choppin like a mug....
Old 11-18-2002, 04:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I've got a hookup at Discount Tire and I'm gonna get these rims for my Max. I know they'll slow me down, but DAMN do they look good.

Tight, very tight!
Old 11-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Still trolling

Originally posted by mantis23
But if performance is more of an issue than looks, coilovers are definetly the way you want to go.
Yeah, but since I have to drive both down the 360 (which we know what kinda of hilly pavement that is) and around Arlington, I can't stay down low all the time. IT's would be a pain in the rear to raise it up to go one place, then crank it down for around town.

Maybe I am giving springs a bad rap since I had a poor experience with the Intrax? Maybe Eibach will ride better? Maybe I shoulda jsut added the AGX's I ordered to see if there would have been an improvement? I don't know, but it's getting expensive experimenting.....
Old 11-18-2002, 06:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hmm, I think you should try another spring. Danny got his on, and said he could tell no difference between stock and the comptechs. Eibach makes a great spring. I'd give it a try with RuFs notes in mind because you shouldn't have had as many problems as you did. Do a little research on spring setups over in 1st gen, and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just a couple more shots from a couple of diff angles
Old 11-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

1 more
Old 11-18-2002, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
chris, I think mantis had a good idea. Talk to some first geners and see what they have, learn from their experiments so you don't have to pay for it.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Bluesman, have you decided on whether you're gonna make it Fri.?
Old 11-18-2002, 07:24 PM
Lead Footed

Very nice wheels.

I may end up liking your car after all. :P

Ruf
Old 11-18-2002, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice wheels Casper. Have you seen them on other Maximas?

I think when I finally do buy wheels, I'm gonna get these.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:28 PM
Lead Footed

1 more
Now that we've seen pics from every angle, when should we expect to see little baby CLS running around.
Ruf
Old 11-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Still trolling

Hmm, I think you should try another spring. Danny got his on, and said he could tell no difference between stock and the comptechs. Eibach makes a great spring. I'd give it a try with RuFs notes in mind because you shouldn't have had as many problems as you did. Do a little research on spring setups over in 1st gen, and you'll be good to go.
Yeah, but one mans smooth ride can be another mans nightmare I need to physically ride in a few to see how it is.

Danny, Mantis, when you guys go over larger humps in the road at high speeds (the ones that make to car get up in the air, fully extendeding the springs and shocks), do you have any problems bottoming out on the way back down? Mantis, I know you have CO's, but i'd still like to know.

thx
Old 11-18-2002, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know chris, I try not to do that. I've only had springs for 2 days and so far so good, but I'll pay attention to when I hit bumps.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:48 PM
Lead Footed

I don't bottom out, but I do hit that tab on big dips if I take them fast.

Mostly because I have more offset and wider tires, and it barely catches the last 2mm of my tire. If I had my stock rims and tires I don't think it would hit.

Ruf
Old 11-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Advanced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love those wheels. I always fancied five spoked rims on sports cars (and sedans). Of course, I wish I had the OZ Superleggera 18s on my ride--but then I wouldn't have an excuse not to upgrade the breaks and that is a lot a scratch...

What tires are you looking at? Make sure they are really sticky, right?

Inferno
Old 11-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Instructor

whoa, I've got a really close call with some cops today.
I was riding with a friend from school headed to toysRus to buy starwars2 on dvd (its only 9.99 till 11/20) and I heard its got some "extras" that have natalie portman wearing very little.

-Anyways, we were on the service road of 190, headed towards 75, between independence & custer, when just past the hill, we got zapped with laser! Its the first time I've picked up laser on the V1. We saw a big white truck on the innermost lane (the police were standing near the light- where there is a 4th lane for the u-turn bay. Right as we see the cop, my friend jams on his brake, with a slight nose dive. One cop walks into the middle lane (where we were, and holds out his hand to stop us). We were both thinking, "oh shyt, game over." Then he waves his hand to stop the buick in the lane between us and the truck. As we come to a full stop in the middle of the road, he points to the right lane, and signaled the white mazda to pull over in front of the truck. Then waved us off, to keep going.

What a close call- and to think, we were in a red celica. Red sports car, vs white sedan. What great luck.

My friend was going about 65-70 before the nose dive, but apparently the mazda was going a bit faster. When we heard the V1 laser go off, and saw the cops at the same instant, we thought for sure it was over.

Just a heads up- be careful if you take 190 lately.

oh, just a thought: I was under the impresssion that since 190 was a state highway, only troopers were allowed to enforce traffic laws in the area? Am I misinformed? The police today looked like plano police- in black uniforms. I just thought troopers were in brown.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:03 PM
Still trolling

Originally posted by danny25
I don't know chris, I try not to do that. I've only had springs for 2 days and so far so good, but I'll pay attention to when I hit bumps.
Hell you can't avoid it. Just some intersectsion alone will do it (Arbrook and Matlock going west on Arbrook). There is a gental, yet quick roll up then down that bottomed me out. Speed bumps did it to if I went more than 2mph (seriously). I really think my springs were too soft. I needed stiffer ones that did not allow for so much travel. Then I woulda been happy. But, I am scared to put different ones on and still not be happy.

Maybe I can find someone at the 22nd event to ride me around to see how it feels with a different setup.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, but one mans smooth ride can be another mans nightmare I need to physically ride in a few to see how it is.

Danny, Mantis, when you guys go over larger humps in the road at high speeds (the ones that make to car get up in the air, fully extendeding the springs and shocks), do you have any problems bottoming out on the way back down? Mantis, I know you have CO's, but i'd still like to know.

thx
I've played with several diffrent settings, and I finally think I'm getting to where I want to be. When I first got them on, I was wayy too low, and I would bounce all over the place. Humps in the road were a living nightmare. and I quote this one chick who was driving my car around
"Yo damn car bounces to damn much, boy!"

I've never bottomed out though. When I go over humps at higher speeds, it feels firm and I feel excellent control of the car. That's what these coilovers were made for I guess. As of right now, I have very little bouncyness, and I never bottom out.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

some "extras" that have natalie portman wearing very little.

Just a heads up- be careful if you take 190 lately.
oh, just a thought: I was under the impresssion that since 190 was a state highway, only troopers were allowed to enforce traffic laws in the area? Am I misinformed? The police today looked like plano police- in black uniforms. I just thought troopers were in brown.
Man, thats GREAT info Duck. I always race my coworkers at lunchtime up and down that service road. I've NEVER seen a cop on the service road..EVER.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:34 AM
SHIFT_god

Originally posted by RUF87
Very nice wheels.

I may end up liking your car after all. :P

Ruf
Thanx Ruf..... haha

Originally posted by InfernoTLS
What tires are you looking at? Make sure they are really sticky, right?
The tires are Yokohama's. I don't remember exactly which tire (name wise), just that they are 225/40-R18....

I love those wheels.... I put a picture of them on my desktop to motivate me to get a second job so that I can buy the darn things... (damn school so freakin expensive )
Old 11-19-2002, 07:38 AM
SHIFT_god

I heard its got some "extras" that have natalie portman wearing very little.
I know what movie we'll be watching this weekend...

My friend was going about 65-70 before the nose dive, but apparently the mazda was going a bit faster. When we heard the V1 laser go off, and saw the cops at the same instant, we thought for sure it was over.
You need to tell Sammuel to slow that Celica down . And yes I know I've got a lot of nerve saying that seeing as how I speed EVERYWHERE

As far as local police patroling the state highway, i've never heard of that. I've seen Plano cops AND state troopers hanging out on 190.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:39 AM
Instructor

thats just how fast everyone goes on 190 service road
knowing him, he'd probably have gone faster if his car wasnt so crappy
Old 11-19-2002, 10:52 AM
SHIFT_god

I totally forgot to mention...

The Nissan meet we had was awesome and I got some great info. The best info though was about a tranny swap. A lot of people on the .ORG get there auto's switched out for 5-speeds (obvious benefit). One guy told me he knew a guy that gave a special hookup to the DNE members and I could get a tranny swap for $1500! I was freakin out!

DuckBlue actually sorta knows the Maxima guy i'm talking about. It's that Indian guy with the Biege debagged Maxima at UTD! That's seximagtr! He's got a nice Max btw.

Just thought i'd share my other good news.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:11 AM
Lead Footed

It's Wednesday, November 20th.

Do you know where you'll be this Friday?

Ruf
Old 11-20-2002, 09:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Ruf
At home sleeping? :P
Old 11-20-2002, 09:57 AM
SHIFT_god

Ruf
ya know.... someone mentioned somethin about driving cars fast on some strip of road..... i think they said it was like 1/3rd of a mile or 1/4th of a mile.... hell if I know

:P
Old 11-20-2002, 12:40 PM
2ManyMiles

ya know.... someone mentioned somethin about driving cars fast on some strip of road..... i think they said it was like 1/3rd of a mile or 1/4th of a mile.... hell if I know

:P
No, it's 3/11 of a mile, and I've heard you have to wear a helmet and have a fire extinguisher in said cars. You guys don't know nuthin. :P
Old 11-20-2002, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey, I changed my mind on the springs and got coilovers installed today. What do ya think?

:P j/k. My first attempt at playing with photoshop.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:01 PM
SHIFT_god

Originally posted by danny25
Hey, I changed my mind on the springs and got coilovers installed today. What do ya think?

:P j/k. My first attempt at playing with photoshop.
Damn danny, talk about a slammed ass ride

I LOVE it!

Quick Reply: Any Dallas area meets? - July 22 (Thread Retired)