Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,837 Likes on 13,994 Posts
Still can't believe the Raiders canned their coach...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Good move by Tennessee. I can't believe Young has any value as a trade -- unless there is a monumentally stupid GM out there. Maybe they will try to move VY and RM as a package deal...

I think the Raiders made a mistake. Harbaugh won't go work for them when so many other teams without Al Davis as owner are falling all over themselves for him.

Look for SF to land Harbaugh.

Any team that gets Gruden out from behind the microphone has my support.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Al Davis
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Al Davis
The franchise seemed to be on a nice good streak...and then, comes the retarded move to axe Cable.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Cable had a team that could go to the playoffs next year, and now they wont go for another 4 years. Al Davis is the epitome of an uber controlling old man.

Last edited by 05TLdcc; 01-06-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
The franchise seemed to be on a nice good streak...and then, comes the retarded move to axe Cable.

But good for Cable in the long run...now he might get hired on to coach for a real owner later on. It really is a shame that Al Davis is such a demented d-bag.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Wasn't Cable's hiring just to spite Lane Kiffin. He was working out. I'm puzzled by the move but then again it's Al.

Young has value because he's played well in the past. I wouldn't overpay for him because of his attitude issues and wanting to retire that one season but he has potential to be good. Plus with QB the most important position and hardest to fill, they'll get something for him.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
Good move by Tennessee. I can't believe Young has any value as a trade -- unless there is a monumentally stupid GM out there. Maybe they will try to move VY and RM as a package deal...
I disagree. Cardinals, Redskins, Seattle, Dolphins, Seahawks, hell even Oakland could use Young. He just needs a player-friendly coach and some coddling.

Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
Cable had a team that could go to the playoffs next year, and now they wont go for another 4 years. Al Davis is the epitome of an uber controlling old man.
So true, Raiders were a QB and wideout away from being a contender.

Originally Posted by Doom878
Wasn't Cable's hiring just to spite Lane Kiffin. He was working out. I'm puzzled by the move but then again it's Al.

Young has value because he's played well in the past. I wouldn't overpay for him because of his attitude issues and wanting to retire that one season but he has potential to be good. Plus with QB the most important position and hardest to fill, they'll get something for him.
I agree. I think Davis hired Jackson as OC to be a coach-in-waiting. The Raiders turned it around when Davis handed over offensive duties to Jackson but I still think it was a mistake to fire Cable, especially after going 6-0 in the AFC West.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Raiders

Like I always tell my Raider loving friends.... you will never see another Lombardi trophy so long as Al Davis is alive. He said it himself, the only way he'll relinquish control is if he passes away or wins two more Super Bowls <-

Even then, his wife also holds a big stake in the Raiders - same thing is likely for any offspring that he spawned.

Still, seems like Jed York is beating around the bush with Harbaugh. I know he hasn't coached an NFL game before, but the 49ers aren't going to win Harbaugh over with an offer that was less than he got from his own alma mater. I think he's going to the Dolphins, soon as they interview a minority candidate. Money talks.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Al Davis
Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
Originally Posted by Scottman111

But good for Cable in the long run...now he might get hired on to coach for a real owner later on. It really is a shame that Al Davis is such a demented d-bag.
Originally Posted by Costco
Raiders

Like I always tell my Raider loving friends.... you will never see another Lombardi trophy so long as Al Davis is alive. He said it himself, the only way he'll relinquish control is if he passes away or wins two more Super Bowls <-

Even then, his wife also holds a big stake in the Raiders - same thing is likely for any offspring that he spawned.

Still, seems like Jed York is beating around the bush with Harbaugh. I know he hasn't coached an NFL game before, but the 49ers aren't going to win Harbaugh over with an offer that was less than he got from his own alma mater. I think he's going to the Dolphins, soon as they interview a minority candidate. Money talks.
Al Davis needs to die for the Raiders to succeed. The team went from a laughing stock to a formidable opponent this season. Apparently Al Davis will have none of that.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Gfaze
Al Davis needs to die for the Raiders to succeed. The team went from a laughing stock to a formidable opponent this season. Apparently Al Davis will have none of that.
Hey, keep Al Davis, makes Redskins look good.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

It's pretty well known that Cowher wants to coach and didn't deny his preferred list which included NY (who's keeping Coughlin) and Miami. Miami won't get Mularkey because he already stunk here as an offensive coordinator. That shows how important talent is. He's a hot OC since Atlanta was excellent and was garbage with Miami. Matt Ryan is light years above Henne. Now Mularkey interviews with Denver for HC.

I'm surprised the Bengals are keeping Marvin Lewis. I heard their brutal schedule didn't help.

I thought Jason Garrett was staying in Dallas but I heard this morning they're bringing in more coaches.

It's said that Carolina would take Luck if he came out.
I'm surprised Lewis stayed here. After listening to the press conference, I think what happened is Lewis told Mike Brown that he would stay only under certain conditions which I think included, among others, more control, the firing of Bratkowski, covered practice field, etc.

I'm sure Brown just said yes so he could keep him, so I doubt anything will really happen besides some coaching changes, since Brown did say that there would be.

I honestly don't mind Lewis, but I think he's too player friendly and lets these guys get away with too much...need more discipline!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM

Hey, keep Al Davis, makes Redskins look good.
Would you agree that Dan Snyder is the second worse owner in the league?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm surprised Lewis stayed here. After listening to the press conference, I think what happened is Lewis told Mike Brown that he would stay only under certain conditions which I think included, among others, more control, the firing of Bratkowski, covered practice field, etc.

I'm sure Brown just said yes so he could keep him, so I doubt anything will really happen besides some coaching changes, since Brown did say that there would be.

I honestly don't mind Lewis, but I think he's too player friendly and lets these guys get away with too much...need more discipline!
Lewis is a good coach. He needs more consistency out of Palmer and a better running game. Scott, you think they will let TO go and cut 85? TO had one of his productive years even considering his late season injury.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:41 PM

And am I the only one that thinks somebody is going to way overpay for Harbaugh?

I mean, he seems like a great coach, but the facts are he's never coached in the NFL (although he obviously has NFL experience), and his record before Luck got to Stanford wasn't that good. I can see people wanting to hire him, but giving him such a huge contract seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Maybe I'm missing something??
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Third.

Al Davis and his colostomy bag are co-owners.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

And am I the only one that thinks somebody is going to way overpay for Harbaugh?

I mean, he seems like a great coach, but the facts are he's never coached in the NFL (although he obviously has NFL experience), and his record before Luck got to Stanford wasn't that good. I can see people wanting to hire him, but giving him such a huge contract seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Maybe I'm missing something??
He's the hottest commodity in both college and pro football right now. The turnaround he executed at Stanford in 4 short years (especially in light of the stringent academic requirements of my alma mater) is unprecedented. It's true that he couldn't have done it without Luck.

3 years ago we all thought Rodriguez was the greatest thing since sliced bread. All those BCS W. Virginia teams and look where it got him in Ann Arbor. If I was Les Miles, I would stay put at LSU. If I was Harbaugh, I would take the money and run. Same for Luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM

From what I hear, unlike Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier, Harbaugh ran a pro-style offense at Stanford. So perhaps that will translate to the NFL.... but it's no guarantee. As usual, I'm filled with uncertainties about potential HCs, but I don't really know better. Seems like Harbaugh would be a good fit.

Don't follow college football too much.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

From what I hear, unlike Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier, Harbaugh ran a pro-style offense at Stanford. So perhaps that will translate to the NFL.... but it's no guarantee. As usual, I'm filled with uncertainties about potential HCs, but I don't really know better. Seems like Harbaugh would be a good fit.

True. That's why the 49ers are a better fit than the spread-offense of Michigan. Somehow I don't see Denard Robinson running a pro-style offense and Harbaugh's style of play working in the smashmouth Big 10
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

I think college coaches are like Heisman Trophy winners...lots of hype for them but few succeed in the NFL...

Spurrier and a few others come to mind where they just blew up in the pro league...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Lewis is a good coach. He needs more consistency out of Palmer and a better running game. Scott, you think they will let TO go and cut 85? TO had one of his productive years even considering his late season injury.
Good questions...the thing about Lewis is, Mike Brown is not unlike Davis or Snyder in the fact that he has his hand in everything, just on a less public scale.

For example, Lewis was completely against bringing back Chris Henry after his 223rd arrest, but Brown swooped in and said he was and to just dill with it.

So as far as T.O. and Chad go, I think Marvin wants Chad back but not T.O., but who knows what Brown will do. Jerome Simpson finally had his breakout game vs. SD (which I was at ) and another decent game against the Ravens, but I still think he's a raw talent. So maybe we'll add some WR depth in the draft and not need to bring back Owens.

As for Palmer....I honestly have no f%$@#&^ clue. The last play in that Baltimore game was just embarrassing and one that a good QB needs to make
Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

LOL @ Carolina: (Luck stays at Stanford)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA

womp womp womp

I don't blame him. He's at Stanford, there's an impending NFL lockout in 2011.... I just read a story that speculated that Harbaugh might not go into the NFL yet either.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

I heard a story where Saban gave Culpepper an earful and Culpepper came right back and gave him hell. They say that lead to Saban wanting to go back to college. The old iron fist Lombardi like methods are fading away in the NFL. Even Coughlin had to chill out for his players to respond. In the last week Ricky Williams and Brandon Marshall have complained that Sparano is too nitpicky and that causes players to overthink and be too cautious (see Henne dinking and dunking short passes on 3rd and long). The NFL player has realized he is the product and wants to be coddled rather than disciplined. It's a shame because anyone would love to be in that position and kiss some ass for a few million bucks.

BTW before anyone says oh Ricky is a slacker, this is one of the most respected players on the team and he's a captain. The old days of him being a quitter are long gone. Many fans and players got over it and love him.

I think Ocho Cinco is a free agent and even tweeted he was out of there. Unless of course a change of heart by either party. If TO is still under contract they'll probably go with him and Jordan Shipley who is pretty good.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Don't forget about Jerome Simpson. Came on very well late.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

womp womp womp

I don't blame him. He's at Stanford, there's an impending NFL lockout in 2011.... I just read a story that speculated that Harbaugh might not go into the NFL yet either.
Screw the lockout. The kid will be #1, eventually get a contract for $50MM, and can go to school during the lockout. I don't think the season will open late anyways. I think Luck fucked up.

I agree, if Harbaugh doesn't take Miami's ridiculously high offer, no point to go into the NFL yet. San Fran, Oakland, Carolina (no Luck), Denver aren't dream jobs right now.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
nnInn

No, I 'd still say that he's ahead of what's going on there in Cincy, at least Synder is spending money to get "talent" into the team. Your guys just don't seem to care.

Did Lewis get what he wanted to stay there? I heard that he wanted a new training center and more money put into scouting.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Discount money. Give me a good reason why you'd want to go to Carolina right now.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA

Dreams do come true Good news for my Cardinal, hope Luck doesn't pull a Bradford and get hurt.

womp womp womp

You have it backwards.

"First, the NFL and NFL Players Association are going to eventually agree on a new rookie salary system that will significantly restrict, if not simply slot, the contracts for incoming draft picks. While the details have yet to be worked out, it is a virtual certainty that there will be a limit of four years on all contracts for drafted players with a small amount of the deal actually guaranteed.

In a Dec. 17 op-ed piece in The Washington Post, Green Bay Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy threw out the concept of the No. 1 pick getting a five-year deal worth a maximum of $15 million with $5 million guaranteed. Nice money, but it pales in comparison to the six-year, $78 million contract, including $50 million guaranteed, that Sam Bradford(notes) got as the No. 1 pick of the St. Louis Rams in the 2010 draft.

Based on Murphy’s projections, Luck stands to lose $63 million on the overall contract and $45 million on the guarantee if a slotting system or rookie scale similar to the NBA is introduced before his first deal. The final difference depends on a number of factors, but there is no question that the loss is going to be steep, easily in the range of $30-$40 million.

While the league and the union could change the rules for the upcoming draft and begin slotting this year, there remains a good chance that no agreement will be reached in time and the system will continue for one more year.

But only one more year, tops."

Don't know if it's worth $40 million, but my experience and degree from the Farm has been invaluable.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Team Owner

You can't go higher than #1. You can suck next year and drop. You can still get your degree. You can still get laid. It's not a fair debate lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Dreams do come true Good news for my Cardinal, hope Luck doesn't pull a Bradford and get hurt.

You have it backwards.

"First, the NFL and NFL Players Association are going to eventually agree on a new rookie salary system that will significantly restrict, if not simply slot, the contracts for incoming draft picks. While the details have yet to be worked out, it is a virtual certainty that there will be a limit of four years on all contracts for drafted players with a small amount of the deal actually guaranteed.

In a Dec. 17 op-ed piece in The Washington Post, Green Bay Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy threw out the concept of the No. 1 pick getting a five-year deal worth a maximum of $15 million with $5 million guaranteed. Nice money, but it pales in comparison to the six-year, $78 million contract, including $50 million guaranteed, that Sam Bradford(notes) got as the No. 1 pick of the St. Louis Rams in the 2010 draft.

Based on Murphy’s projections, Luck stands to lose $63 million on the overall contract and $45 million on the guarantee if a slotting system or rookie scale similar to the NBA is introduced before his first deal. The final difference depends on a number of factors, but there is no question that the loss is going to be steep, easily in the range of $30-$40 million.

While the league and the union could change the rules for the upcoming draft and begin slotting this year, there remains a good chance that no agreement will be reached in time and the system will continue for one more year.

But only one more year, tops."

Don't know if it's worth $40 million, but my experience and degree from the Farm has been invaluable.
Regardless if he gets $15 or $50 million, he is guaranteed #1 pick. He should've come out.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

You can't go higher than #1. You can suck next year and drop. You can still get your degree. You can still get laid. It's not a fair debate lol.
That doesn't answer my question.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Team Owner

Go to Carolina in general? I don't think they are a terrible franchise. They have some pretty good players. They can build a team. They have 3 pretty good RB's. Tell me why not?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Go to Carolina in general? I don't think they are a terrible franchise. They have some pretty good players. They can build a team. They have 3 pretty good RB's. Tell me why not?
I don't understand your argument of going #1. To go to Carolina? I'd rather go to Denver or Arizona than Carolina. Steve Smith is a washed up receiver and their defense has been going downhill since JP left.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

1) Cheap-ass owner
2) Probably will have a little-to no experience HC next year because of #1
3) Best player on the team is Steve Smith, who probably won't be there because of all of these reasons.
4) No market to speak of. Contract is nice, but what is he going to endorse? Wingtips for the bankers? $35 million can be made up easy if you take SF, LA or a NY team to a championship.
5) One hell of a division. Three well-run franchises, with two star QBs in the making. Oh yeah, there's that Super Bowl champion from last year.
6) DeAngelo is a FA and will most likely leave.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM

I don't understand your argument of going #1. To go to Carolina? I'd rather go to Denver or Arizona than Carolina. Steve Smith is a washed up receiver and their defense has been going downhill since JP left.

Look how bad the Rams were when Bradford went there, and now look at them improving. Every team hits rock bottom which I think it's safe to say the Panthers are at right now.

With free agency and the parity in the NFL I think it would be safe to say that in a matter of years the Panthers will be decent again.

What if he goes #1 again next year to an even worse team? He's still in the same boat
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Well he can't pick his team and Carolina was taking him. The rookie scale probably won't be in affect until next 2012 so he loses $40 million plus. Say the rookie scale is in effect this year then he could be like Matt Leinart and go from 1 to 10 or worse Jake Lokher and project from top 3 to a mid first rounder. Sure Steve Smith is old but servicable and David Gettis is showing flashes. I mean they are top pick for a reason. But he can seriously damage his career by waiting. I don't think Indy was the ideal choice for Peyton and he came out pretty good.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Look how bad the Rams were when Bradford went there, and now look at them improving. Every team hits rock bottom which I think it's safe to say the Panthers are at right now.

With free agency and the parity in the NFL I think it would be safe to say that in a matter of years the Panthers will be decent again.

What if he goes #1 again next year to an even worse team? He's still in the same boat
Bradford wouldn't have had the season he did if Jackson didn't rebound better than expected. Few of us expected SJ to put up solid numbers this season and IMO it took some of the pressure off Bradford. Can you count on Williams to help out their rookie QB?

Don't forget Clausen was billed as a pro-style QB under the Weis' offensive scheme much like Luck. He is a bust.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Well he can't pick his team and Carolina was taking him. The rookie scale probably won't be in affect until next 2012 so he loses $40 million plus. Say the rookie scale is in effect this year then he could be like Matt Leinart and go from 1 to 10 or worse Jake Lokher and project from top 3 to a mid first rounder. Sure Steve Smith is old but servicable and David Gettis is showing flashes. I mean they are top pick for a reason. But he can seriously damage his career by waiting. I don't think Indy was the ideal choice for Peyton and he came out pretty good.
Exactly, didn't pay off with Leinart and Locker and with Luck waiting until AFTER the CBA, he has a snowflake's shot in hell of securing $50 million guaranteed like Bradford.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

I heard a story where Saban gave Culpepper an earful and Culpepper came right back and gave him hell. They say that lead to Saban wanting to go back to college. The old iron fist Lombardi like methods are fading away in the NFL. Even Coughlin had to chill out for his players to respond. In the last week Ricky Williams and Brandon Marshall have complained that Sparano is too nitpicky and that causes players to overthink and be too cautious (see Henne dinking and dunking short passes on 3rd and long). The NFL player has realized he is the product and wants to be coddled rather than disciplined. It's a shame because anyone would love to be in that position and kiss some ass for a few million bucks.

BTW before anyone says oh Ricky is a slacker, this is one of the most respected players on the team and he's a captain. The old days of him being a quitter are long gone. Many fans and players got over it and love him.

I think Ocho Cinco is a free agent and even tweeted he was out of there. Unless of course a change of heart by either party. If TO is still under contract they'll probably go with him and Jordan Shipley who is pretty good.
I agree on some points. I think a coach needs a nice middle ground, and has to earn the respect of his players. Cowher comes to mind...all his players liked and respected him, but if you fucked up he was in your face in a second flat getting his point across, and the players would listen because they trusted him.

From what I hear, people like Coughlin and Mangina were just pricks that nobody would like to play for, and Saban just seems like a pussy

Chad has an option year, and T.O.'s deal was only one year so he's a free agent. I don't even want to speculate who will be back and who won't...I'm sure they will change their minds over and over..

Quick Reply: NFL: 2010 Season Discussion Thread