Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The only reason why it seems like people "hate" the TLX is because in other car threads when people go or "wtf?" it goes unchallenged.

But when you either criticize Acura or give props to Hyundai here on Acurazine, the thread blows up.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
No, "one-sided" discussion is not right.

You have to have someone to represent the fanboys.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:07 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
phile can talk about how 'wood accent trim' = fake wood all day long with no demands for 'silence, no one cares.' the moment someone questions that, they get shouted down. it's obvious some folks are only interested in a one-sided discussion.

you say fib is being obnoxious, but you ignore your brz buddy posting the same gif ad infinitum.
That's because my gif is always spot on. You and your fib brother make zero fking sense.

Again, SSFTSX>You.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

SSFTSX will find reasons why his TSX is superior than TLX.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
You and your fib brother make zero fking sense.
My kimchi brother from another mother, I'm not sure what my posts say that don't make sense. Please elaborate.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:14 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by justnspace
the car hasnt even come out yet ...
What. I've. Been. Trying. To. Say. To. The. Haters. For. 20. Pages.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
My kimchi brother from another mother, I'm not sure what my posts say that don't make sense. Please elaborate.
you Kimchi too?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
you Kimchi too?
Check w/ Sir Sarlacc.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Oh jeez.

Yeah, I posted that to give you a lesson on why someone on his level should be working like a VP of Marketing. This is some basic stuff you learn at school, if you major in any type of business side.

You said you are an mechanical engineer, and it's hard to know everything about the product.

Yeah, that's because you don't get to talk to PR. You R&D the products.

The executive officers like that guy must be able to answer whatever questions the interviewers throw at them.

No idiots will ask him what's the part number for valve stems nor what's the wattage for signal bulb. Who would ask that??? Maybe you?
Originally Posted by ttribe
Uhh, am I the only one who sees the problem between these two is the literal interpretation of hyperbole?
Good point ttribe...lol.

It seems like you feel that I'm trying my best to defend Mat or something. I'd just like to make it clear that I wasn't. I'd just like to bring us back to my original post which started this discussion to illustrate:

I thought Mat came across as someone who is very enthusiastic about the car. It's a bit embarrassing that he does not know the answers to quite a few questions, but the positive side is that he admitted right away rather than BS'ing his way through like some other people do.

As the chief engineer, I doubt that he would know all the nitty gritty details off the top of his head. I'd imagine his main task is to make sure the car meets all of the design targets within a set budget. Individual components/parts are managed by different engineers/managers and those guys would know the details much better I'd think.

With that said, it's funny how he can't convert from litres to US gallons. That should be fairly basic IMO unless you want an accurate conversion.
Cliff notes of what I said:

- It's embarrassing that he couldn't answer quite a few questions
- Unlike people with PR/business people, this guy is either honest or just can't BS his way through
- When I said I doubt a chief engineer would know all the nitty gritty details, I really mean that literally. It's very hard to remember all the bulb sizes, screw sizes, bolt sizes, etc. That's on the extreme side perhaps, but I'd imagine that gets the point across
- I also emphasized how he couldn't convert from litre to US gallon right away. He could have just divide it by 4 and a bit and you get a good estimate

That's all I was saying. Not saying he is the best chief engineer ever. Not saying that chief engineer should know nothing, etc.

Last edited by iforyou; 04-29-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

SSFTSX will find reasons why his TSX is superior than TLX.
We need to recruit SSFTSX to go against the fanboys.

No-sense vs No-sense.

I don't even like kimchi. I can't believe you are a Korean. Quite embarrassed.

Every single post of yours.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 PM
I feel the need...

Every single post of yours.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Once again, the TLX is a step in the right direction albeit not the leap we were hoping for. If a Type-S comes to fruition I'd definitely be interested in checking it out and driving it.
What was the "leap" you were hoping for? We know how this company operates. They've spent more $ on developing ASSIMO and an unprofitable light corporate jet than they have spent on building "red carpet athletes" for the past 10 years!

But back to my point, it is an incremental improvement:

1. Better transmissions.
2. Better lighting technology.
3. Better NVH.
4. Better performance.
5. Better styling.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

why is better styling #5?

and why is better wheel drive is not on the list?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 PM
I feel the need...

why is better styling #5?
Wasn't ranked in any particular order, just a riposte to the BRZ mafia and their leghumping fan club.

You are the one who is driving a fucking beakmobile.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM
I drive a Subata.

Agreed on the better styling.

Anything's better than this:

Was hoping for a little more aggressive design, but guess it'll do for now.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 PM
I feel the need...

and why is better wheel drive is not on the list?
Fair point. We'll have to drive it to see if its noticeably better after switching to hydraulic and lighter set-up.

Definitely prefer the mechanical vs heavier e-SH-AWD though. If the NSX is too heavy, it will definitely be a turn off for me.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 5,906 Likes on 2,908 Posts
phile can talk about how 'wood accent trim' = fake wood all day long with no demands for 'silence, no one cares.' the moment someone questions that, they get shouted down. it's obvious some folks are only interested in a one-sided discussion.

you say fib is being obnoxious, but you ignore your brz buddy posting the same gif ad infinitum.
Wait, didn't you just lecture me for not focusing on the TLX, itself, rather than the sniping at hand? No, you don't get to lecture me for not sticking to the topic at hand the way you want, and then not do so yourself. I told you I didn't hate the TLX, but that I was disappointed in it, and you've completely ignored that element.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 PM

What was the "leap" you were hoping for? We know how this company operates. They've spent more $ on developing ASSIMO and an unprofitable light corporate jet than they have spent on building "red carpet athletes" for the past 10 years!

But back to my point, it is an incremental improvement:

1. Better transmissions.
2. Better lighting technology.
3. Better NVH.
4. Better performance.
5. Better styling.
Wasn't ranked in any particular order, just a riposte to the BRZ mafia and their leghumping fan club.
This is part of the problem, fib, you acknowledge the need for improvement in the first post and the fact that the new gen is an actual improvement over the 4G, but then everyone who doesn't agree that it is enough of an improvement gets labelled a "hater" by you (and others). Where's the cliff that puts people into one camp or the other? I don't think anyone has disputed that the 5G is an improvement. It is. Unequivocally. Speaking only for myself, I see it as too little of one, though. They needed a splash to get back into the market; this isn't it. Now, you might argue they are content with their place in the market (that seems to be skd's argument, anyway), but if that's case then their execs shouldn't be sending the very public signals otherwise (e.g. go see the Acura marketing thread).

In short, this company is all over the map. On one hand, they say they want to compete with "the Germans" and Lexus, and then on the other they come out with a brand new sedan (arguably the most important reveal in the last 10 years) that is only a slight incremental improvement on one of the worst designs in their history. That's what frustrates the hell out of me. Stop saying one thing, and then doing another, Acura! Either own that you're the Japanese Buick or show that you are better, but this in-between act isn't working and that's being borne out in the sales numbers.

Last edited by ttribe; 04-29-2014 at 06:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ttribe:
fsttyms1 (04-30-2014), qingcong (04-30-2014), RPhilMan1 (05-01-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been on this forum for a long time.

And I can confidently say that you are like the most idiotic member on Acurazine.

That's something.

Congratulation.

Yes, meanwhile your 100 gifs of the same picture, "cool story bro" club, noob fanboy namecalling, zero posts relevant to the TLX, hypocritical posts, bandwagon insults have thankfully added so much to this thread and demonstrated your immense intelligence.
The following 2 users liked this post by qingcong:
AZP-TL (05-05-2014), MTEAZY (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by qingcong
Yes, meanwhile your 100 gifs of the same picture, "cool story bro" club, noob fanboy namecalling, zero posts relevant to the TLX, hypocritical posts, bandwagon insults have thankfully added so much to this thread and demonstrated your immense intelligence.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Wait, didn't you just lecture me for not focusing on the TLX, itself, rather than the sniping at hand? No, you don't get to lecture me for not sticking to the topic at hand the way you want, and then not do so yourself. I told you I didn't hate the TLX, but that I was disappointed in it, and you've completely ignored that element.
actually I was pointing out your inconsistency. you call out fib for being "obnoxious" while you turn a blind eye to the gif master. inconsistent you are.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

^clearly infatuated with that gif aren't you? it's getting creepy dude.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Yep. It's been delayed after hosting an unveiling event.

just saying; you guise are putting in a lot of effort to sway one way or another when the car hasnt even come out yet.

just like the thread in the TLX section titled "Will the TLX come with Good Year tires?"

The following users liked this post:
VR1 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM

actually I was pointing out your inconsistency. you call out fib for being "obnoxious" while you turn a blind eye to the gif master. inconsistent you are.
Pay close attention this time as it seems you didn't get the point the first go around (https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=8824), and this is the last time I'm going to explain this to you - I am under no obligation to be "consistent"; nor do I intend to try.

I said what I did to Fib because of his repeated practice of referring to me, specifically, with cheap insults completely out of the blue and for no reason; see here, for example - https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=8745. That I am not the only one he's been harassing in such a manner is ancillary icing on the cake.

I place zero value in your opinion on my "consistent" treatment of obnoxiousness in this thread, or any other. Even were I to muster up an ounce of caring over the matter, I suspect your measure of "consistent" is arbitrary, transient, and impossible to achieve. Thus, any time spent trying to keep up with your expectations on the issue, let alone even care about your expectations, is a waste.
phile (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 AM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by justnspace
just saying; you guise are putting in a lot of effort to sway one way or another when the car hasnt even come out yet.

just like the thread in the TLX section titled "Will the TLX come with Good Year tires?"

Posting in this thread requires pretty much no effort.

Just rambling til the car comes out.

If the car had much substance for us to really discuss about, all these non-sense posts wouldn't be here.

At the end of the day, nobody is going to be "swayed". Fanboys only read and believe what they want to read and believe.
phile (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,106 Likes on 2,551 Posts
Oh jeez.

Yeah, I posted that to give you a lesson on why someone on his level should be working like a VP of Marketing. This is some basic stuff you learn at school, if you major in any type of business side.

You said you are an mechanical engineer, and it's hard to know everything about the product.

Yeah, that's because you don't get to talk to PR. You R&D the products.

The executive officers like that guy must be able to answer whatever questions the interviewers throw at them.

No idiots will ask him what's the part number for valve stems nor what's the wattage for signal bulb. Who would ask that??? Maybe you?
same as someone who wrote

If you are a chief engineer of ANY PRODUCT, you should know everything about it, period.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,106 Likes on 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I thought Mat came across as someone who is very enthusiastic about the car. It's a bit embarrassing that he does not know the answers to quite a few questions, but the positive side is that he admitted right away rather than BS'ing his way through like some other people do.

As the chief engineer, I doubt that he would know all the nitty gritty details off the top of his head. I'd imagine his main task is to make sure the car meets all of the design targets within a set budget. Individual components/parts are managed by different engineers/managers and those guys would know the details much better I'd think.

With that said, it's funny how he can't convert from litres to US gallons. That should be fairly basic IMO unless you want an accurate conversion.
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Oh come on, The chief engineer should have known something as simple as fuel gallons as something he knew, especially the conversion from Gallons to Liters. He should have been able to answer basic questions which he couldnt.

Bottom line chief engineer should have know the fuel capacity and even more so know the conversion from liter/gallon. Middle shool kids are even taught that.

As for what is fair game to ask?
Jalopnik arraigned for the C7 chief engineer Tadge Juechter to answer any questions in a online forum.

http://jalopnik.com/ask-corvette-z06...1500006288/all

From the chat session so far I learned

• No cocaine was used in the engineering of the C7
  • He knew the supercharger manufacturer (Eaton), type (roots) and flow (1.7 liter/rev) but not the HP loss
  • Explained why no DCT
  • The ZR1 will have afterburners
  • Packaging and response was why turbo's were not used

Uhh, am I the only one who sees the problem between these two is the literal interpretation of hyperbole?
No, no you weren't

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-30-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
I feel the need...

That I am not the only one he's been harassing in such a manner is ancillary icing on the cake.
Oh ye great defender of harrassment! If I can take in stride vitriol such as "owning FUGLY", "fucking beakmobile", or "apologist". Surely you can handle some gentle ribbing for driving a Two Ton Autoshifting Cabriolet.

If you can't, then perhaps you should take your frayed deck of hypocritical cards to another gaming table because you butthurt too easily. As my grandmama used to say, If you can't stand the heat...
skd2k1 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 PM
I feel the need...

This is part of the problem, fib, you acknowledge the need for improvement in the first post and the fact that the new gen is an actual improvement over the 4G, but then everyone who doesn't agree that it is enough of an improvement gets labelled a "hater" by you (and others).
I've consistently said, don't knock it until you drive it. Pretty simple.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM

Oh ye great defender of harrassment! If I can take in stride vitriol such as "owning FUGLY", "fucking beakmobile", or "apologist". Surely you can handle some gentle ribbing for driving a Two Ton Autoshifting Cabriolet.
And I've said any of those things about you or you car exactly, when?

If you can't, then perhaps you should take your frayed deck of hypocritical cards to another gaming table because you butthurt too easily. As my grandmama used to say, If you can't stand the heat...
Are you proud of making yourself a pest?

I've consistently said, don't knock it until you drive it. Pretty simple.
So? What does that have to do with you attempting to marginalize anyone who disagrees with you by labeling them as a "hater?"
Old 04-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Posting in this thread requires pretty much no effort.

And indeed, what little effort and thought go into your posts.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 PM
I feel the need...

And I've said any of those things about you or you car exactly, when?
You leghumped posters who said such things.

Are you proud of making yourself a pest?
Get over yourself. Before you pick out the speck in my eye, pick out the log in your own.

So? What does that have to do with you attempting to marginalize anyone who disagrees with you by labeling them as a "hater?"
If you feel marginalized because I call you a hater for hating a car you haven't driven yet, thats your problem, not mine.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by qingcong
And indeed, what little effort and thought go into your posts.
summary of jrz's posts: ad hom + rob ryan gif. not necessarily in that order. done and done.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by jiggaman:
RPhilMan1 (05-01-2014), skd2k1 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
I drive a Subata.

Summary of qingcong Fibonacci skd2k1 posts.

I haz Acura. I love Acura. I must defend Acura.

I don't care what you haters think.

Oh yes, you do.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow, this shit is STILL going on? I thought the stupid sniping from BOTH sides would die out at least 5 pages ago, but it's the same crap over and over. GET OVER IT.

And I thought Ramblings could get bad...
Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by EhkoXC
Wow, this shit is STILL going on? I thought the stupid sniping from BOTH sides would die out at least 5 pages ago, but it's the same crap over and over. GET OVER IT.

And I thought Ramblings could get bad...
Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
This is part of the problem, fib, you acknowledge the need for improvement in the first post and the fact that the new gen is an actual improvement over the 4G, but then everyone who doesn't agree that it is enough of an improvement gets labelled a "hater" by you (and others). Where's the cliff that puts people into one camp or the other? I don't think anyone has disputed that the 5G is an improvement. It is. Unequivocally. Speaking only for myself, I see it as too little of one, though. They needed a splash to get back into the market; this isn't it. Now, you might argue they are content with their place in the market (that seems to be skd's argument, anyway), but if that's case then their execs shouldn't be sending the very public signals otherwise (e.g. go see the Acura marketing thread).

In short, this company is all over the map. On one hand, they say they want to compete with "the Germans" and Lexus, and then on the other they come out with a brand new sedan (arguably the most important reveal in the last 10 years) that is only a slight incremental improvement on one of the worst designs in their history. That's what frustrates the hell out of me. Stop saying one thing, and then doing another, Acura! Either own that you're the Japanese Buick or show that you are better, but this in-between act isn't working and that's being borne out in the sales numbers.
I think I see where you are coming from and I think that's a good point. It seems though the expectations are a bit too high though (which again is understandable given how important the TLX will be to Acura for their sedan revival).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that when you said "they needed a splash," instead of what we are seeing right now, you expect Acura to come up a sedan that would really kick @$$. Exterior, it would need to look as handsome as an Audi, as sporty as a BMW, and as elegant and classy as a Mercedes. For the interior, it needs to have both form and functions. In other words, the interior must be well built and designed with quality that is on par with Audi. For the chassis, it must out handle and drives better than the latest ATS, while delivering comfort level on par with Lexus and Mercedes. The engine must be more powerful than the 335i and S4, while the tranny must be a DCT type with more ratios than 335i. Performance needs to be the best in class, while achieving the best EPA ratings. For features, the base trim must be better equipped than anyone else. The top of the line model must include features found on all rivals, plus more. In terms of price, because it's an Acura, it must be priced like one. That means it needs to start at sub $30k, and cannot be more than $45k for the top model. On top of all those, the TLX must be as reliable and safe as any Honda.

If that's not the case, perhaps you can describe what you think the TLX should have been like.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM

You leghumped posters who said such things.
How, exactly, did I supposedly do this? Put or shut up time.

Get over yourself. Before you pick out the speck in my eye, pick out the log in your own.
You're right. I really should stop lobbing inflammatory insults at individual posters on this board at (seemingly) random intervals for no other reason than to piss people off when it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. Oh, wait...that's not me.

If you feel marginalized because I call you a hater for hating a car you haven't driven yet, thats your problem, not mine.
Did I say I feel marginalized? No. I criticized your effort to engage in a tactic of attempting to marginalize your debate opponent(s).

BTW, I am repeating myself - I don't hate the TLX. I'm disappointed in it. There's a difference.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News