Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I think I see where you are coming from and I think that's a good point. It seems though the expectations are a bit too high though (which again is understandable given how important the TLX will be to Acura for their sedan revival).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that when you said "they needed a splash," instead of what we are seeing right now, you expect Acura to come up a sedan that would really kick @$$. Exterior, it would need to look as handsome as an Audi, as sporty as a BMW, and as elegant and classy as a Mercedes. For the interior, it needs to have both form and functions. In other words, the interior must be well built and designed with quality that is on par with Audi. For the chassis, it must out handle and drives better than the latest ATS, while delivering comfort level on par with Lexus and Mercedes. The engine must be more powerful than the 335i and S4, while the tranny must be a DCT type with more ratios than 335i. Performance needs to be the best in class, while achieving the best EPA ratings. For features, the base trim must be better equipped than anyone else. The top of the line model must include features found on all rivals, plus more. In terms of price, because it's an Acura, it must be priced like one. That means it needs to start at sub $30k, and cannot be more than $45k for the top model. On top of all those, the TLX must be as reliable and safe as any Honda.

If that's not the case, perhaps you can describe what you think the TLX should have been like.
You got it
Old 04-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Summary of qingcong Fibonacci skd2k1 posts.

I haz Acura. I love Acura. I must defend Acura.

I don't care what you haters think.

Oh yes, you do.

Well this is an Acura board and this is a TL/TLX thread, so it shouldn't be surprising to find people here who like Honda/Acura. What seems more out of place is why you care so much to post so many insults in this thread when you care so little about Acura.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
You're right. I really should stop lobbing inflammatory insults at individual posters on this board at (seemingly) random intervals for no other reason than to piss people off when it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. Oh, wait...that's not me.
Jeebus you really do take every post sooooo seriously. Feel free to repizzle all my flaming posts of hate.

That's where the hypocrisy comes in. Other posters are free to lob insults at the TL/TLX but if anyone critiques another car (or calls ttribe's Two Ton Autoshifting Cabriolet) a chick car - it is a dastardly offense and a crime against humanity.

Like I said, get over yourself.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by qingcong
Well this is an Acura board and this is a TL/TLX thread, so it shouldn't be surprising to find people here who like Honda/Acura. What seems more out of place is why you care so much to post so many insults in this thread when you care so little about Acura.
Oh yes, we do care. I care.

I've cared long before you jumped on the fanboy bandwagon, Mr qingcong.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I feel the need...

You have a very selective memory. I have expressed disdain for the weak powertrain in the ILX and the overpriced blandness of the RLX. Stop being a drama queen.

I think the TLX is an improvement and am looking forward to taking one for a drive. I am very disappointed that it appears Acura will no longer offer a 6MT with SH-AWD because it is a fun package.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 5,922 Likes on 2,919 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Jeebus you really do take every post sooooo seriously. Feel free to repizzle all my flaming posts of hate.

That's where the hypocrisy comes in. Other posters are free to lob insults at the TL/TLX but if anyone critiques another car (or calls ttribe's Two Ton Autoshifting Cabriolet) a chick car - it is a dastardly offense and a crime against humanity.

Like I said, get over yourself.
There's a very simple solution here - quit your bomb throwing at me and I don't have to point out you acting boorish. What other posters do, or don't do, is completely out of my control and for you (and skd) to label me a "hypocrite" or "inconsistent" because I don't criticize others' bad behavior as well as yours is absurd on its face. Why? Because I am objecting only to your insults directed at me, individually. Quit acting like a monkey throwing his feces at a passer-by to get attention, and doing so in my direction, and I don't have to point it out as being a childish deflection from the substance at hand.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 PM
I feel the need...

What other posters do, or don't do, is completely out of my control and for you (and skd) to label me a "hypocrite" or "inconsistent" because I don't criticize others' bad behavior as well as yours is absurd on its face.
Oh please, stop with the ttribe taking the high road nonsense. You leghump the BRZ mafia all over the place who are the primary instigators in this thread.

Because I am objecting only to your insults directed at me, individually. Quit acting like a monkey throwing his feces at a passer-by to get attention, and doing so in my direction, and I don't have to point it out as being a childish deflection from the substance at hand.
Oh the irony of the your "boorish" insults is completely lost on you. The fact that you can't listen to critiques of other cars (only critiques of Acura) as equivalency for being monkey just shows how thin skinned and hypersensitive you are.

Get over yourself. I'm done with this tit for tat with you. Stop posting in the TLX thread because it is such a bitter disappointment for you, even though you haven't driven it yet.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Oh please, stop with the ttribe taking the high road nonsense. You leghump the BRZ mafia all over the place who are the primary instigators in this thread.

Oh the irony of the your "boorish" insults is completely lost on you. The fact that you can't listen to critiques of other cars (only critiques of Acura) as equivalency for being monkey just shows how thin skinned and hypersensitive you are.

Get over yourself. I'm done with this tit for tat with you. Stop posting in the TLX thread because it is such a bitter disappointment for you, even though you haven't driven it yet.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think I see where you are coming from and I think that's a good point. It seems though the expectations are a bit too high though (which again is understandable given how important the TLX will be to Acura for their sedan revival).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that when you said "they needed a splash," instead of what we are seeing right now, you expect Acura to come up a sedan that would really kick @$$. Exterior, it would need to look as handsome as an Audi, as sporty as a BMW, and as elegant and classy as a Mercedes. For the interior, it needs to have both form and functions. In other words, the interior must be well built and designed with quality that is on par with Audi. For the chassis, it must out handle and drives better than the latest ATS, while delivering comfort level on par with Lexus and Mercedes. The engine must be more powerful than the 335i and S4, while the tranny must be a DCT type with more ratios than 335i. Performance needs to be the best in class, while achieving the best EPA ratings. For features, the base trim must be better equipped than anyone else. The top of the line model must include features found on all rivals, plus more. In terms of price, because it's an Acura, it must be priced like one. That means it needs to start at sub $30k, and cannot be more than $45k for the top model. On top of all those, the TLX must be as reliable and safe as any Honda.

If that's not the case, perhaps you can describe what you think the TLX should have been like.
Well if Acura comes up with a car that you just described, i am willing to pay MORE than what i paid for 335 for it.

But in reality, do you honestly see TLX can achieve any one of those things you just described? let alone all?

It looks better than 4g TL, but it is nowhere close to WOW Damn that looks good.
Engine - J35, K24, good engines but really nothing special
Interior - Acura has always had good interior, but it definitely not worlds better than its competitors.
Chassis - it is pretty safe to say - Accord, nothing wrong with it but not something you want to brag about.
Wheels - design = meh, size, 17, 18, maybe maybe 19, industry standard selections
Performance - again, will be in the middle of the pack but does not standout
features - Top of the line has all the modern features, so do competitions

Price - well we do not have to argue the fact that Acura needs to be cheaper than Germans because if it is not, no one will buy it.
you can't blame me for it, blame it on free market and consumers.
But it seems that Acura is increasing price significantly if RLX and TLX V6 AWD MSRP on the web is true. at $50k, you can't really call that a bargain or value anymore and that is not even the Type S (if there is ever one). Type S will be what? $55k?

So to summarize TLX - mid of the pack and nothing really special. How do you think that will help a Brand (Acura) that desperately needs to improve its sedan image and sales in the market after failure of TL, RL, RLX, ILX?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
I drive a Subata.

I haven't driven the car yet obviously.

So, I won't say if it looks good or not.

Yeah.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think the TLX is an improvement and am looking forward to taking one for a drive. I am very disappointed that it appears Acura will no longer offer a 6MT with SH-AWD because it is a fun package.
I too, think the TLX is an improvement. Both inside and out.

I actually think the 2012+ TL is decent. The 2015 TLX only improves on it, both inside and out. The wood trim inside and exhaust tip delete are minor, but disappointing details. Acura still can't put decent wheels on most of their production vehicles. I really like that they scaled down the exterior dimensions, and the center stack seems less cluttered. Fewer buttons?

The bolded part is the problem. It's like Honda loves to take one step forward, two steps back. At least they have a DCT now.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:16 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Chassis - it is pretty safe to say - Accord, nothing wrong with it but not something you want to brag about.
SH-AWD is not the equivalent of an Accord chassis - not even close to the same dynamics.

But it seems that Acura is increasing price significantly if RLX and TLX V6 AWD MSRP on the web is true. at $50k, you can't really call that a bargain or value anymore and that is not even the Type S (if there is ever one). Type S will be what? $55k?
To repeat what I said earlier, the ADVANCE package full kit if it is at 50k will not transact there. The volume model's will be very much more affordable. But your point is taken, Acura needs to step up their game and their image before they can aggressively move real world pricing up the food chain. RLX is a case study on product placement fail.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Costco
The wood trim inside and exhaust tip delete are minor, but disappointing details. Acura still can't put decent wheels on most of their production vehicles.
Agree, fake wood trim and exhaust delete is not a design plus in my view, but not deal breakers.

I really like that they scaled down the exterior dimensions, and the center stack seems less cluttered. Fewer buttons?
Love the tighter exterior packaging and reduced weight, a bit surprised they weren't able to wring more savings though.

Def NOT a fan of the dual screen center stack. It's the biggest beef I have with my wife's new MDX - they really NEED to separate HVAC functions from the touchscreen with physical buttons.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 PM
I feel the need...

Oh and I :heart: the jewel eyes. Could be styled better, but damn they are awesome. I will always have LED headlights only from now on.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Team Owner

SH-AWD is not the equivalent of an Accord chassis - not even close to the same dynamics.

To repeat what I said earlier, the ADVANCE package full kit if it is at 50k will not transact there. The volume model's will be very much more affordable. But your point is taken, Acura needs to step up their game and their image before they can aggressively move real world pricing up the food chain. RLX is a case study on product placement fail.
So is SH AWD a different chassis than accord? or is it the accord chassis that have been modified to work with SHAWD? how about the "volume models" you are talking about without AWD?

If it is the modified accord chassis, then let's just call it what it is. It is definitely not a brand new chassis that was purposely built for TLX to maximize performance.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-30-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
I feel the need...

If it is the modified accord chassis, then let's just call it what it is. It is definitely not a brand new chassis that was purposely built for TLX to maximize performance.
Am not an engineer but I'm pretty sure they would have built the chassis around SH-AWD first because it wouldn't need to be modified for packaging.

Point being, the SH-AWD dynamics are totally different than F/F.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:44 PM

While I can appreciate what you're driving at, I don't think that's really a fair summary of what I'm suggesting...and I can only speak for me. Let me put it this way - when the 3G hit the market, it was significant. You couldn't get near the features or performance of that car in a competitor that wasn't priced $5k-$10k more than the 3G. By the time the 4G came out, the market had changed dramatically. New engines, new transmissions, better chassis, all of these at competitors and the incremental change from previous generations was really quite large. 300hp became the new normal for a mid-size lux sedan. Interior materials and fit and finish were vastly improved. Much like the NSX, the 3G moved the needle in its segment. The 4G didn't. It was almost universally derided for its styling, its aging technology, its girth, and its low to middling performance.

The 5G needed to get back to a 3G-like impact. They had a chance to change the corporate "face" of Acura and drop the beak entirely. They didn't do it. When the 5G concept hit, I specifically said I was cautiously optimistic. But, they dumbed it down for production. It's not as eye catching and interesting as it was in concept form (most cars aren't, but really there's little on the concept that couldn't have made it to production). We've been hearing about new engines for years now. What did we get? The same old engines, slightly improved. We got a DCT, but only with a NA 4-cyl. We got a FWD based model...why? Why not go back to the RL way - SH-AWD or nothing. Give people a reason, other than price alone, to look at this car over the competitors. They didn't do it.

Other than to save a few bucks, there's no compelling reason to choose this car over anything else in the segment. That's the same as Buick and Lincoln. That was Cadillac for a long time and look at how they've dragged themselves out of that mess. Now, as I said, if Acura is content with that market position, then say so. Own up to it and be good at it. But, that's not what we're told. We're told they can compete with "the Germans" and with Lexus, but they don't. We're told they will take a new direction, but they don't. They've built the expectations and then not delivered. That there is anger from (former) enthusiasts is not because of outsized expectations of the enthusiasts' making; they were made by Acura and Acura let us down, again.
The following 4 users liked this post by ttribe:
Hapa DC5 (05-02-2014), Mugen.Justice (04-30-2014), qingcong (04-30-2014), RPhilMan1 (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
This drivel still going on?

It's no wonder why this thread has the most replies and views than any other.

Replies: 8,887
Views: 408,892

Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

Am not an engineer but I'm pretty sure they would have built the chassis around SH-AWD first because it wouldn't need to be modified for packaging.

Point being, the SH-AWD dynamics are totally different than F/F.
So you are saying it is a brand new chassis that was built around SHAWD and also it is safe to say that the volume models share the same chassis as SHAWD.

So the conclusion is it is a different chassis than Accord? I hope that is true but i have a feeling based on previous gen TL, it is the other way around.

dynamics can be affected by many things i am sure even the FWD TL and FWD Accord have different driving dynamics even though they share many things under the skin.

CL-S even share the same shocks and springs as V6 accord but still do not feel the same.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggaman
I won't lie, I lol'd.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
While I can appreciate what you're driving at, I don't think that's really a fair summary of what I'm suggesting...and I can only speak for me. Let me put it this way - when the 3G hit the market, it was significant. You couldn't get near the features or performance of that car in a competitor that wasn't priced $5k-$10k more than the 3G. By the time the 4G came out, the market had changed dramatically. New engines, new transmissions, better chassis, all of these at competitors and the incremental change from previous generations was really quite large. 300hp became the new normal for a mid-size lux sedan. Interior materials and fit and finish were vastly improved. Much like the NSX, the 3G moved the needle in its segment. The 4G didn't. It was almost universally derided for its styling, its aging technology, its girth, and its low to middling performance.

The 5G needed to get back to a 3G-like impact. They had a chance to change the corporate "face" of Acura and drop the beak entirely. They didn't do it. When the 5G concept hit, I specifically said I was cautiously optimistic. But, they dumbed it down for production. It's not as eye catching and interesting as it was in concept form (most cars aren't, but really there's little on the concept that couldn't have made it to production). We've been hearing about new engines for years now. What did we get? The same old engines, slightly improved. We got a DCT, but only with a NA 4-cyl. We got a FWD based model...why? Why not go back to the RL way - SH-AWD or nothing. Give people a reason, other than price alone, to look at this car over the competitors. They didn't do it.

Other than to save a few bucks, there's no compelling reason to choose this car over anything else in the segment. That's the same as Buick and Lincoln. That was Cadillac for a long time and look at how they've dragged themselves out of that mess. Now, as I said, if Acura is content with that market position, then say so. Own up to it and be good at it. But, that's not what we're told. We're told they can compete with "the Germans" and with Lexus, but they don't. We're told they will take a new direction, but they don't. They've built the expectations and then not delivered. That there is anger from (former) enthusiasts is not because of outsized expectations of the enthusiasts' making; they were made by Acura and Acura let us down, again.

I basically agree with your assessment of recent Acura offerings. 4G TL, ILX, ZDX, RLX were kind of not very good cars, but it doesn't make me mad at them. It's not as if they messed up my life. They don't owe me a great lineup of cars. They owe it to themselves to make cars that sell well, but it's not something that makes me mad if it doesn't happen.

Before knocking the TLX engines, I would just say that on paper Acuras have never been very impressive. The NSX's 270hp was nothing compared to the Ferrari 355s, 360s, and Diablos of the day, but the NSX was about how it drove - the complete package and not one specific parameter. For example, yes the 2.4L doesn't make a ton of hp, but they also reduced weight on the car and added an 8DCT to make it "1.5sec" faster or whatever. So I mean, I think the TLX is an example of that balanced sort of design that I like Honda for. It's not quite the extreme aggressive risky design some of us would have liked them to do. It's a solid offering on paper though, and we've yet to see how it drives.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by qingcong
I basically agree with your assessment of recent Acura offerings. 4G TL, ILX, ZDX, RLX were kind of not very good cars, but it doesn't make me mad at them. It's not as if they messed up my life. They don't owe me a great lineup of cars. They owe it to themselves to make cars that sell well, but it's not something that makes me mad if it doesn't happen.
I was just attempting to explain some of the venting in this thread; I wasn't suggesting there would (or should) be riots in the streets.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Well if Acura comes up with a car that you just described, i am willing to pay MORE than what i paid for 335 for it.

But in reality, do you honestly see TLX can achieve any one of those things you just described? let alone all?

It looks better than 4g TL, but it is nowhere close to WOW Damn that looks good.
Engine - J35, K24, good engines but really nothing special
Interior - Acura has always had good interior, but it definitely not worlds better than its competitors.
Wheels - design = meh, size, 17, 18, maybe maybe 19, industry standard selections
Performance - again, will be in the middle of the pack but does not standout
features - Top of the line has all the modern features, so do competitions

Price - well we do not have to argue the fact that Acura needs to be cheaper than Germans because if it is not, no one will buy it.
you can't blame me for it, blame it on free market and consumers.

So to summarize TLX - mid of the pack and nothing really special. How do you think that will help a Brand (Acura) that desperately needs to improve its sedan image and sales in the market after failure of TL, RL, RLX, ILX?
For sure, the upcoming TLX is certainly not what I had described earlier. It would be immense if Acura can make something like that though.

I appreciate your views on the various aspects of the vehicles. Here's how I see it though.

Looks - I agree with you on that. Though I feel this is going back to the Acura way - non-offensive clean designs that age well

Engine - Previous iterations of the K24 and J35 have been good and underrated. Certainly not class leading like the N54/55, but I think they are competitive against most of the other competitors. I think we need to factor in the gearboxes too. On paper, the trannies are pretty much class-leading as most are using 6AT, 7AT, or 8AT. Is there any direct competitor that has DCT? Obviously there haven't been any reviews on them yet. But if they deliver, I feel that these trannies can "mask" the shortcomings of these engines.

Interior - Agreed
Chassis - It's true that the TLX is based on the Accord. But hasn't that been the case for the past 15 years or so since the 2G TL? The 3G in particular was praised for its good handling. Obviously during the 2G and 3G era, cars in this class were less powerful. Now that every car is at the 300hp level, FWD isn't enough. But then, there's the SH-AWD model to do the job.

Performance - You are probably right that it will be mid pack. At the very least, it will be behind 335i. But then, who isn't slower than the 335i other than the S4 which IMO is half a class above. The likes of Q50, IS350, ATS 3.6 are all high 13's/low 14's cars. The existing 3800lb 4G TL 6MT is just as fast, if not faster than these.

Features -That's true for the most part, though the TLX I believe still has a few things that are unique to itself. But when you factor in the price....it's a different story.

Price - for sure. I mean at $50k, a car can still be a bargain if others are at $60k or so fully loaded. However, I feel that the $50k trim is more of a "halo" trim. It's just there to satisfy those who have been complaining that the TL does not offer enough features to match others. I think we need to look at the whole pricing structure of the car rather than focusing on the top trim. For instance, a base Q50 starts at $37k, but it can go up to $54k with a Q50S AWD with navi pkg, deluxe touring pkg, and tech pkg. Another example is the ATS. It starts at $34k. However, if you opt for a ATS 3.6 AWD with 19" rims, premium pkg, moonroof, cold weather pkg, driver assist pkg, then you are looking at $53k. Keep in mind that these are not even the top German brands.

I agree with your analysis of the 3G TL and 4G TL. The 3G TL came out as a really good performer at a good price. I think that's a combination of a job well done by Acura AND the fact that the overall competition was just less intense back then. At that time, it was really the 3 series, A4, and C Class. The IS was crap, and the CTS was new to the market (i.e. Cadillac learning the market). The G was new but great at that time as well. Within several years though, everyone got up to speed, and Acura no longer had that advantage.

I agree the looks of the production model is underwhelming. However I'm glad that it's not as ugly as the 2009 TL.

The tranny...yea it's too bad the DCT is only for the 2.4. But still the 9AT in the V6 still has the most ratios out there.

I think it's always been expected to be FWD based. The mighty 3G TL was FWD only and it was a huge success as you said. Besides, SH-AWD doesn't get the credit it deserves and is hugely underrated. Customers simply don't know the benefits of that system. If Acura were to just offer SH-AWD only on the TLX, people will think that's a waste of money and feel that the car must consumes a lot of fuel.

On paper, the TLX does not look the most impressive - sub 300hp, chassis from Accord, not the most attractive looking, etc. However, we haven't seen any actual road tests. How fast does it actually accelerate? How smooth and quiet is the ride? What's the handling like with the new SH-AWD? What is the pricing schedule with respect to the features? I think at this moment, it's hard to draw a conclusion on the car yet. I find it difficult to just say, there's no reason to buy the TLX, when there are just so many unanswered questions.
The following 4 users liked this post by iforyou:
Costco (05-01-2014), JS + XES (05-01-2014), qingcong (05-01-2014), ttribe (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
I drive a Subata.

For sure, the upcoming TLX is certainly not what I had described earlier. It would be immense if Acura can make something like that though.

I appreciate your views on the various aspects of the vehicles. Here's how I see it though.

Looks - I agree with you on that. Though I feel this is going back to the Acura way - non-offensive clean designs that age well

Engine - Previous iterations of the K24 and J35 have been good and underrated. Certainly not class leading like the N54/55, but I think they are competitive against most of the other competitors. I think we need to factor in the gearboxes too. On paper, the trannies are pretty much class-leading as most are using 6AT, 7AT, or 8AT. Is there any direct competitor that has DCT? Obviously there haven't been any reviews on them yet. But if they deliver, I feel that these trannies can "mask" the shortcomings of these engines.

Interior - Agreed
Chassis - It's true that the TLX is based on the Accord. But hasn't that been the case for the past 15 years or so since the 2G TL? The 3G in particular was praised for its good handling. Obviously during the 2G and 3G era, cars in this class were less powerful. Now that every car is at the 300hp level, FWD isn't enough. But then, there's the SH-AWD model to do the job.

Performance - You are probably right that it will be mid pack. At the very least, it will be behind 335i. But then, who isn't slower than the 335i other than the S4 which IMO is half a class above. The likes of Q50, IS350, ATS 3.6 are all high 13's/low 14's cars. The existing 3800lb 4G TL 6MT is just as fast, if not faster than these.

Features -That's true for the most part, though the TLX I believe still has a few things that are unique to itself. But when you factor in the price....it's a different story.

Price - for sure. I mean at $50k, a car can still be a bargain if others are at $60k or so fully loaded. However, I feel that the $50k trim is more of a "halo" trim. It's just there to satisfy those who have been complaining that the TL does not offer enough features to match others. I think we need to look at the whole pricing structure of the car rather than focusing on the top trim. For instance, a base Q50 starts at $37k, but it can go up to $54k with a Q50S AWD with navi pkg, deluxe touring pkg, and tech pkg. Another example is the ATS. It starts at $34k. However, if you opt for a ATS 3.6 AWD with 19" rims, premium pkg, moonroof, cold weather pkg, driver assist pkg, then you are looking at $53k. Keep in mind that these are not even the top German brands.

I agree with your analysis of the 3G TL and 4G TL. The 3G TL came out as a really good performer at a good price. I think that's a combination of a job well done by Acura AND the fact that the overall competition was just less intense back then. At that time, it was really the 3 series, A4, and C Class. The IS was crap, and the CTS was new to the market (i.e. Cadillac learning the market). The G was new but great at that time as well. Within several years though, everyone got up to speed, and Acura no longer had that advantage.

I agree the looks of the production model is underwhelming. However I'm glad that it's not as ugly as the 2009 TL.

The tranny...yea it's too bad the DCT is only for the 2.4. But still the 9AT in the V6 still has the most ratios out there.

I think it's always been expected to be FWD based. The mighty 3G TL was FWD only and it was a huge success as you said. Besides, SH-AWD doesn't get the credit it deserves and is hugely underrated. Customers simply don't know the benefits of that system. If Acura were to just offer SH-AWD only on the TLX, people will think that's a waste of money and feel that the car must consumes a lot of fuel.

On paper, the TLX does not look the most impressive - sub 300hp, chassis from Accord, not the most attractive looking, etc. However, we haven't seen any actual road tests. How fast does it actually accelerate? How smooth and quiet is the ride? What's the handling like with the new SH-AWD? What is the pricing schedule with respect to the features? I think at this moment, it's hard to draw a conclusion on the car yet. I find it difficult to just say, there's no reason to buy the TLX, when there are just so many unanswered questions.
Dude, your post made sense.

I mean it.
qingcong (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
You're spot on with everything you said IMO. But...

Therin lies the problem. People look at the car, look at the specs and will immediately dismiss it. They won't wait or ever see the any actual tests or its acceleration times. Conclusions won't be drawn by the average customer because they car was forgotten about 5 minutes after they laid eyes on it. And we all know Acura marketing won't draw them back in.

That's the battle the car faces.

Last edited by dom; 05-01-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
You're spot on with everything you said IMO. But...

Therin lies the problem. People look at the car, look at the specs and will immediately dismiss it. They won't wait or ever see the any actual tests or its acceleration times. Conclusions won't be drawn by the average customer because they car was forgotten about 5 minutes after they laid eyes on it. And we all know Acura marketing won't draw them back in.

That's the battle the car faces.
fwiw, I bought a 3g because I saw one driving down the road one day, not because a magazine test sold it me. of course honda's reputation for reliability and price played a large role in that decision as well.

Last edited by dom; 05-01-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
fwiw, I bought a 3g because I saw one driving down the road one day, not because a magazine test sold it me. of course honda's reputation for reliability and price played a large role in that decision as well.
They won't have problem's with the die hards. See Fibo . Hell, my mind was made up on buying a 1G TSX long before it hit dealers or saw road tests. Honda had that power over many. Not really the case anymore.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I drive a Subata.

You see that dot on the right top?

That's you.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't care what you haters think.

Oh yes, you do.
I remember when skd2k1 said something about RWD cars not being able to drive in snow... ATLANTA snow. Such noob, much troll, very laugh.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Interior - Agreed

While i disagree with you on certain point but overall i agree.

However, pretty much everything you described is basically a good car, which is a good replacement as the 4G TL in 2009 or 2010. (like many reviewers have already said)

But after all these failures of Acura Sedan, i guess it is common sense that you have to build a Great car with at least something that will make a strong selling point whether it is the engine, the look, interior or price ,a good car is just not enough to ask the customers that Acura have lost to come back.

Acura needs to give buyers a reason to ditch whatever they are driving to come back. I personally think exterior is the best way since most of the buyers are clueless about cars anyways. but TLX does not deliver that. The biggest problem Acura sedans are facing now is to make a comeback, which requires MORE than just trying to maintain.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-01-2014 at 01:32 PM.
ttribe (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

You see that dot on the right top?

That's you.

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
I remember when skd2k1 said something about RWD cars not being able to drive in snow... ATLANTA snow. Such noob, much troll, very laugh.
the brz mafia is at it again. you two really are drama queens. sheesh.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
They won't have problem's with the die hards. See Fibo . Hell, my mind was made up on buying a 1G TSX long before it hit dealers or saw road tests. Honda had that power over many. Not really the case anymore.
acura/honda never had that appeal for me...well maybe with the nsx.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:58 PM

This kind of hype is going to hurt, not help, Acura -

"In a few short months, we will unleash the all-new 2015 Acura TLX to reestablish Acura's reputation for thrilling luxury performance sedans and establish the Acura brand as a force to be reckoned with in the luxury segment."

- Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager.
He's creating expectations the TLX can't meet, let alone exceed.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
lolol, I really want to know what that would make you.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:24 PM
I drive a Subata.

A drama queen?

It's the truth. You are the outlier.

Not saying it's bad.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

I truly believe if Car talk @ Azine runs Acura division, Acura will be a lot more successful than what it is today.

Slogan - This is what we can do if we tried.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-01-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM

I truly believe if Car talk @ Azine runs Acura division, Acura will be a lot more successful than what it is today.
All the great ideas in the world are worthless, though, if there's no money to put them into action. I suspect Honda Corporate has been starving Acura for years. I'm unclear on how the "spin-off" will impact such budgeting issues going forward.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

A drama queen?

It's the truth. You are the outlier.

Not saying it's bad.
fair enough. do you really think the average car buyer reads car mags?

edit: when it comes to cars, I'd say pretty much anyone who's been in this thread going back and forth for the last dozen or so pages is an outlier.

Last edited by skd2k1; 05-01-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

fair enough. do you really think the average car buyer reads car mags?
I don't know if they do or not but they are not stupid because No one is buying Acura sedans.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know if they do or not but they are not stupid because No one is buying Acura sedans.
I don't think paying inflated prices because of a cool brand name is very smart either.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News