Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I don't follow, sorry.

He merely said he'd drive an SHO over the 4G TL, and I suspect it wasn't on the sole basis of exterior styling. I'd prefer the SHO to the current 4G TL but styling isn't why.
True about the styling thing. The rear end of the SHO is even bigger,boxier, and bloated looking then the rear end on the 4G TL. Thats saying something considering how the rear end looks on the new TL that there is something that has a bigger and more bloated look to it. The new LaCrosse comes to mind as well.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
True about the styling thing. The rear end of the SHO is even bigger,boxier, and bloated looking then the rear end on the 4G TL. Thats saying something considering how the rear end looks on the new TL that there is something that has a bigger and more bloated look to it. The new LaCrosse comes to mind as well.
I suspect that's simply because it's a wider, taller, longer car than the 4G though. I'm fairly indifferent to both rear ends. They look "good enough" to me, nothing more and nothing less. However I am a fan of the Lacrosse tail.

If Ford could just bring that SHO package of technology, design, and power down to the Fusion I'd be all over it. For now I await the Regal GS, 4G MMC, and others.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Thought I'd just post them in case anyone else wants to share their opinion.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I suspect that's simply because it's a wider, taller, longer car than the 4G though. I'm fairly indifferent to both rear ends. They look "good enough" to me, nothing more and nothing less. However I am a fan of the Lacrosse tail.

If Ford could just bring that SHO package of technology, design, and power down to the Fusion I'd be all over it. For now I await the Regal GS, 4G MMC, and others.
That would be something if they put that into the Fusion.

Of the three you posted, I like the rear of the TL the best. I'm not crazy about the SHO rear end and the LaCrosse is somewhere in the middle.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

I vote for none - Regal GS all the way!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I vote for none of the above also. However, if its RJ TL vs SHO, I pick the TL
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,991 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Sorry, you hit the failboat with comments like that. You can hate the exterior styling all you want - but the TL SH-AWD *esp 6MT* is superior in every way to the SHO.

I really like the exterior styling of the SHO, but if you drive it, you'll quickly discover what a fat pig it really is. The interior is sub-par, relative to its class and when you hit anything other than a straight line, its like poking an Explorer where the sun don't shine.

It's getting tiresome listening to all you jilted lovers who piss and moan - thats what I mean about brand equity. Clearly you guys care about the brand, otherwise why would you lament like you do. There are plenty of choices in the tier one space, if tier one space is your priority. Move on.

If Honda cares about you, they will build something for you.
Have you read any of my other posts? I have moved on.

The ONLY thing the TL has going for it, is it's content. Then again that's what has been great about the TL - good bang for the buck in a PLEASING package. Now they have removed the pleasing part. For all of the content the 4G has, I still wouldn't be able to walk over to it every day with my eyes open. It's the ugliest 09-10 car on the road, especially when you have to drop that kind of $$$ to get one.

My local dealer had 4Gs sitting on their lot with all kinds of customized grills, and painted "power girdles". They know the car is an abortion, so, they're doing what they can to sell some.

When paying good $$ money for a car, I expect the design to be aesthetically pleasing AND I want content. I don't want a horror show.
How can Kia and Hyundai put an aesthetically pleasing package together for 23K while the TL is king of ?

SHO? Ford has taken the current Taurus and beefed up the chassis and power train. I'm sure the 2nd gen SHO will improve in every way, as opposed to...well, you know.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
I have moved on.
Calling your bluff.

You haven't, which is why you and others keep beating a dead horse and post ad nauseum about why you won't buy a 4G TL.

You'll be back in another Honda soon enough.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

The ONLY thing the TL has going for it, is it's content. Then again that's what has been great about the TL - good bang for the buck in a PLEASING package. Now they have removed the pleasing part. For all of the content the 4G has, I still wouldn't be able to walk over to it every day with my eyes open. It's the ugliest 09-10 car on the road, especially when you have to drop that kind of $$$ to get one.

My local dealer had 4Gs sitting on their lot with all kinds of customized grills, and painted "power girdles". They know the car is an abortion, so, they're doing what they can to sell some.

When paying good $$ money for a car, I expect the design to be aesthetically pleasing AND I want content. I don't want a horror show.
How can Kia and Hyundai put an aesthetically pleasing package together for 23K while the TL is king of ?

SHO? Ford has taken the current Taurus and beefed up the chassis and power train. I'm sure the 2nd gen SHO will improve in every way, as opposed to...well, you know.
Wow, Angry much?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Calling your bluff.

You haven't, which is why you and others keep beating a dead horse and post ad nauseum about why you won't buy a 4G TL.

You'll be back in another Honda soon enough.

No, I really have.

I'm not saying I won't buy another Honda...or Acura for that matter. Acura simply has nothing for me right now, that's all.

Honda - If I needed one, the Oddy would be ok. The Fit isn't too bad. Accord Coupe is ok. But there are too many other options out there right now...or coming soon.

I want something fun, with good power and handling....and yes, that looks good to my eye. If the 5G is back to looking great...I'd give it a look.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Wow, Angry much?

I'm saying what I think. What's angry?

It's good that you like your 4G. You've certainly had enough cars to know what you like.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts

Well, I wouldn't say that the content (I'd assume you are talking about features) is the only thing the TL has going for it. What about its handling? I'd assume you are talking about the SH-AWD model because you said, "especially when you have to drop that kind of $$$ to get one." The base model if I recall correctly is about $1k more than the base 3G TL and I certainly don't think that's $$$.

Here's a comparison between the new Audi S4 vs the TL SH-AWD.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._s4/index.html

Notice the lap times of these two cars, S4 posted 1:08.8, while the TL is only 0.4s behind, at 1:09.2. The S4 in that test is also equipped with Audi's torque vectoring system. Tires used on the S4 is Pirelli Cinturato P7 which are Ultra High Performance Summer tires and the one the S4 uses is $370 each at tirerack.com. For comparison, TL's tires are $292 each. Now look at the straight line numbers, the S4 smokes the TL. Now, actually go ahead and read the article. Here's one part, "The Acura's steering is lightning quick, with an overall ratio nearly as fast as a Mitsubishi Evo's, and its thick rim communicates more feedback to the driver, especially at the limit, where the Audi's steering goes numb."

So, can you really say that the only good thing about the TL is its content? Can the SHO match the Audi S4? I'd like to know.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I know Alfa will never go through with it but:

I want.
Yes, please!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm saying what I think. What's angry?

It's good that you like your 4G. You've certainly had enough cars to know what you like.
I can't say that my 4G is great. The overall package is good, but I can't say that I turn back and look that often as I walk way...if you know what I mean. I was only saying that you seem really pissed off in your posts about the 4G. Just not understanding why?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iforyou
Well, I wouldn't say that the content (I'd assume you are talking about features) is the only thing the TL has going for it. What about its handling? I'd assume you are talking about the SH-AWD model because you said, "especially when you have to drop that kind of $$$ to get one." The base model if I recall correctly is about $1k more than the base 3G TL and I certainly don't think that's $$$.

Here's a comparison between the new Audi S4 vs the TL SH-AWD.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._s4/index.html

Notice the lap times of these two cars, S4 posted 1:08.8, while the TL is only 0.4s behind, at 1:09.2. The S4 in that test is also equipped with Audi's torque vectoring system. Tires used on the S4 is Pirelli Cinturato P7 which are Ultra High Performance Summer tires and the one the S4 uses is $370 each at tirerack.com. For comparison, TL's tires are $292 each. Now look at the straight line numbers, the S4 smokes the TL. Now, actually go ahead and read the article. Here's one part, "The Acura's steering is lightning quick, with an overall ratio nearly as fast as a Mitsubishi Evo's, and its thick rim communicates more feedback to the driver, especially at the limit, where the Audi's steering goes numb."

So, can you really say that the only good thing about the TL is its content? Can the SHO match the Audi S4? I'd like to know.
True, although the SHO has a lot of selling points in its own right. You can't get that level of power, content, AND room for that price. The Genesis comes close but in a few ways the SHO does better (not that the Hyundai doesn't have its own stronger points). This is why the SHO has been a success for Ford in terms of sales, and these sales are (at least Ford claims) coming at sticker or very near sticker prices like the TL.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
given the pricing of the SHO, it does compete with the lower end TL 5AT SHAWD..... they are both around 38K add 3K of mods to the SHO and you got a 440+HP monster
Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Pro

The problem with the SHO is that it handles like a boat and is nearly as large as one. Nearly every review has agreed that the SHO is not a true performance vehicle, even with its powerful engine. Although exterior aesthetics are certainly not the TL's strength, I don't think the SHO is good looking either.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

It does not handle like a boat.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
Although exterior aesthetics are certainly not the TL's strength, I don't think the SHO is good looking either.
Respectfully agree to disagree. I think the exterior of the SHO is great and it's got gobs of road presence. It was just a big disappointment after I took one for a hearty spin and the interior was a bit of a letdown too.

For all the haters, you don't see teh power plenum from behind the wheel baby.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

i have not driven either the TL or the SHO but reviews clearly state that SHO brakes are bad and that it does not have the handling that one would expect from that type of car. IMHO the SHO looks better than the TL on the outside. but the TL is definately nicer on the outside
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
i have not driven either the TL or the SHO but reviews clearly state that SHO brakes are bad and that it does not have the handling that one would expect from that type of car. IMHO the SHO looks better than the TL on the outside. but the TL is definately nicer on the outside
The brakes are bad if you take it on a track or you're on a mountain road. For what any of us are going to do with our daily, it's fine. Now that said, I certainly wish Ford would put some real brakes on it, but hopefully that's coming with the updated model that was announced.

It's not a sport sedan but it doesn't roll that much and holds its own as a decent sedan. For a SPORT sedan, buy the TL for that kind of money.

The TL has a nicer interior, but the Ford's is far from "bad" and for all the extra goodies, massage seats, heated/cooled in front, heated in back, laser cruise control, BSM, CTA, and a laundry list beyond that makes it worth it, not to mention its extra space.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 AM
My first Avatar....

The brakes are bad if you take it on a track or you're on a mountain road. For what any of us are going to do with our daily, it's fine. Now that said, I certainly wish Ford would put some real brakes on it, but hopefully that's coming with the updated model that was announced.

It's not a sport sedan but it doesn't roll that much and holds its own as a decent sedan. For a SPORT sedan, buy the TL for that kind of money.

The TL has a nicer interior, but the Ford's is far from "bad" and for all the extra goodies, massage seats, heated/cooled in front, heated in back, laser cruise control, BSM, CTA, and a laundry list beyond that makes it worth it, not to mention its extra space.

This is the car that will determine the real face of the SHO...the coming model. The current car is has too many similar traits with the regular Taurus. We'll have to see what the next model brings to really see where Ford is going with the SHO.

I know the TL drives great...from reviews. I know it has tons of tech and a beautiful interior...very much an Acura staple. But that just isn't enough for me.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
maybe its the s-type? so it looks more sporty? I doubt the stock TL would get rid of the chrome. It would make it look less luxurious.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Annoyingly the new A8 (4400+ lbs, 372 horsepower V8, full time AWD) is rated for 17/27 on premium. The TL automatics need a real transmission, damnit!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I can see the merits of the SHO - effortless acceleration for its price, quiet, refined, and perhaps it's quite loaded as well. But from what I've read, it has dull steering, it's huge and heavy (4346lb), and worst of all, it's built on the previous Ford 500 platform.

It also has brake fade problem, but as far as I know, the TL has that issue as well.

In the end it depends on what you want, if you don't mind the exterior, and would like a a luxury EVO, then the TL is probably what you need. If you want an affordable fast sedan, then buy the SHO.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Annoyingly the new A8 (4400+ lbs, 372 horsepower V8, full time AWD) is rated for 17/27 on premium. The TL automatics need a real transmission, damnit!
lol, but C&D only managed to get 17mpg in the real world. On the other hand they got 19mpg in the TL SH-AWD 5AT! But then the A8 would smoke the TL in a straight line...haha.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I can see the merits of the SHO - effortless acceleration for its price, quiet, refined, and perhaps it's quite loaded as well. But from what I've read, it has dull steering, it's huge and heavy (4346lb), and worst of all, it's built on the previous Ford 500 platform.

It also has brake fade problem, but as far as I know, the TL has that issue as well.

In the end it depends on what you want, if you don't mind the exterior, and would like a a luxury EVO, then the TL is probably what you need. If you want an affordable fast sedan, then buy the SHO.
There isn't really anything wrong with the steering. It's a bit light on feel (pun intended), but the TL's steering is even more numb, but more precise. The size and weight are certainly up there but it has a pay off in terms of room and thus comfort.

And I also don't think there's anything wrong with the D3 platform either. Yeah it's an older platform but it works. I've noticed people post on sites like Autoblog about the "old" LX platform for Chryslers, but if they ever drove it they'd notice it's nothing short of a stiff, solid platform as good as any for the price.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
lol, but C&D only managed to get 17mpg in the real world. On the other hand they got 19mpg in the TL SH-AWD 5AT! But then the A8 would smoke the TL in a straight line...haha.
C&D also managed to get 17mpg from MDX which is 4700 lbs, 69inch tall and the widest mid size SUV.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Of course you and I know how they drive. LOL

Even so, 400 pounds and ~70 horsepower with a big torque difference from a V8 versus a V6 as well and 2 mpg (assuming for a minute that's the difference we'd see in real life) seems pretty impressive.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Pro

It does not handle like a boat.
"Things got worse for the Ford when the handling portion of the tests began. Without the ability to shut off Ford's electronic stability system, the SHO was artificially relegated to 0.80g and a 63-mph slalom pass. While these numbers aren't embarrassing for a 4,400-pound car, the steering is vague while the chassis feel reluctant to change direction. Once the understeer began in earnest, the stability control started to rein in things."

http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/g...7-journey.html

How would you describe the handling of a 203" long, 4400 lb. car with vague steering?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

"Things got worse for the Ford when the handling portion of the tests began. Without the ability to shut off Ford's electronic stability system, the SHO was artificially relegated to 0.80g and a 63-mph slalom pass. While these numbers aren't embarrassing for a 4,400-pound car, the steering is vague while the chassis feel reluctant to change direction. Once the understeer began in earnest, the stability control started to rein in things."

http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/g...7-journey.html

How would you describe the handling of a 203" long, 4400 lb. car with vague steering?
Was that just you using one source (that could be biased) as some kind of proof?

"A turn of the power-assisted electric steering reveals a safe and obedient chassis."

"Grip from the 20-inch Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires (part of the Performance package) is reasonably respectable at 0.84 g, and the SHO is willing to put up with track-inspired shenanigans until the smallish brakes start pouring out enough white smoke for Catholics to take notice."

"No one would call this a playful chassis but, considering the curb weight, it doesn’t have any egregious faults. Body roll is well controlled, and the suspension strikes an excellent ride-and-handling compromise."

-Car & Driver

And that's all the "source tennis" I'm going to play with you. Maybe you haven't even driven one, which I have, many times and I've maintained EXACTLY what C&D said, and that is: if you want a sport sedan, the SHO is not for you. If you're okay with a controlled body that won't fall on its door hinges, there you go.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

i believe you are going to find that just like the 2nd gen TL and first gen SHO that those brakes are going to wear fast and are prone to warpage ....those brakes are on the small side to a car that size....
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
i believe you are going to find that just like the 2nd gen TL and first gen SHO that those brakes are going to wear fast and are prone to warpage ....those brakes are on the small side to a car that size....
Maybe, but I think they're slightly larger than the 2008-2009 Taurus and that system never had problems to my knowledge (nor have I looked).
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Pro

if you want a sport sedan, the SHO is not for you. If you're okay with a controlled body that won't fall on its door hinges, there you go.
That was my previous point. I never said that it was a terrible vehicle, only that it is neither nimble nor agile, though I admit to resorting to hyperbole. Ford is trying to market the SHO as a sport sedan, which it certainly is not.

I have not driven a SHO; I just ordered a car and the SHO was not on my short list, as I have no need for vehicle close to that size and have no interest in taking the time to test drive random vehicles.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

That was my previous point. I never said that it was a terrible vehicle, only that it is neither nimble nor agile, though I admit to resorting to hyperbole. Ford is trying to market the SHO as a sport sedan, which it certainly is not.

I have not driven a SHO; I just ordered a car and the SHO was not on my short list, as I have no need for vehicle close to that size and have no interest in taking the time to test drive random vehicles.
Well that's all great but you did say it was a boat and handled like one, which it most certainly does not.

Boat: Buick Lucerne, Ford Crown Victoria

Big and not sport sedans: Ford Taurus SHO, Hyundai Genesis
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Pro

Well that's all great but you did say it was a boat and handled like one, which it most certainly does not.

Boat: Buick Lucerne, Ford Crown Victoria

Big and not sport sedans: Ford Taurus SHO, Hyundai Genesis
Sorry, 203" long and 4400 lb. falls under my classification of "boat." A well-tuned suspension may be able to mitigate some of the detrimental effects of mass, but it certainly cannot completely overcome physics. If you have a different idea of what constitutes a boat, that's fine.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, 203" long and 4400 lb. falls under my classification of "boat." A well-tuned suspension may be able to mitigate some of the detrimental effects of mass, but it certainly cannot completely overcome physics. If you have a different idea of what constitutes a boat, that's fine.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
C&D also managed to get 17mpg from MDX which is 4700 lbs, 69inch tall and the widest mid size SUV.
C&D also got 20mpg for the ZDX test too. Quite impressive.

Of course you and I know how they drive. LOL

Even so, 400 pounds and ~70 horsepower with a big torque difference from a V8 versus a V6 as well and 2 mpg (assuming for a minute that's the difference we'd see in real life) seems pretty impressive.
Yea, the A8 is amazing. 17mpg in a 4400lb V8 car. It almost makes the 22mpg figure for the Audi A3 2.0T look silly.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

But in truth the A3 is a lot more efficient than that. They obviously either had heavy footed drivers or more city driving conditions.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
C&D also got 20mpg for the ZDX test too. Quite impressive.

there is reason for such impressive fuel economy from ZDX.
even CNET got 18mpg in twisted roads around SF bayarea with very high speed cornering.

Another reviewer got 19.6 mpg with mostly city driving. ZDX is new bench mark for fuel economy in its category.

http://reviews.carreview.com/blog/20...ra-zdx-review/

Fuel Economy:
Advertised: 16 mpg in the city, and 23 mpg highway (19 mpg combined)
Actual: 19.6 mpg (had I driven more highway miles, it would have been better. The city driving really pulls the mileage down, down, down).

Acura did extensive aerotesting as they have to built car with standard 19inch rims, taller than sedans , super handling so wider tires and give class leading fuel economy in real life.

The 2010 Acura ZDX spent considerable time in the wind tunnel to test and develop its aerodynamic properties. The attention to detail in aero efficiency included the development of stylized lower bodyside sills that help keep air from moving underneath the vehicle and causing turbulence. Lift balance and the coefficient of lift were also addressed to keep the ZDX stable at high speeds.

Numerous aerodynamic details direct and smooth the airflow underneath the vehicle, contributing to better engine cooling, greater fuel efficiency, lower emissions and reduced interior noise. Some of these include:

■An air dam beneath the front bumper directs airflow up and rearward to the radiator
■Small strakes ahead of the front and rear wheels direct air around the tires
■A pair of strakes in the middle of the underbody area help keep air separated from the bottom of the vehicle at higher speeds
■A mid-floor undercover helps keep air from tumbling past the fuel tank and rear differential

ACOUSTIC WINDSHIELD
Special acoustic windshield glass is used on the ZDX to help reduce noise entering the cabin. Tuned specifically to attenuate wind-noise frequencies, the windshield glass uses two layers of 2mm safety glass with an inside layer of a transparent and elastic acoustic membrane for a total thickness of 4.7mm. The acoustic glass windshield helps place the ZDX at the top of its class in wind-noise performance.
The windshield incorporates UV light absorbing technology just like the 4mm thick panoramic roof glass, 5mm thick front side and 3.5mm rear side glass along with the 3.1mm thick rear tailgate glass.

The ZDX’s windshield benefits from a new defroster system that is nearly invisible from the driver’s perspective, yet delivers much improved area coverage and quicker defrost time as compared to previous Acura models.

OFF-ROAD CAPABILITY
Although the ZDX is not designed as a hardcore "go-anywhere" off-road vehicle, it is engineered to be capable and competent whether traveling just off the pavement or off the beaten path. Engineers mandated specific minimum performance criteria for the new ZDX, including safe travel through standing water nearly eight inches deep, steep approach and departure angles (19.8-degrees front and 23.2-degrees rear, respectively, with a 16.9-degree break-over angle), off road and paved grades up to 60-percent incline. Moreover, components located underneath the ZDX are tucked away to help avoid damage during off-highway driving, a steel guard protects the fuel system’s evaporative canister and there is a generous 8 inches of clearance.

The high-torque 3.7-liter V-6 engine and SH-AWD™ system with Grade Logic and computer-controlled traction capabilities all help the ZDX meet most off-road challenges without the need for a dedicated low-range transfer case or a driver-selected 4WD "lock" mode. Generous front approach, break-over and rear departure angles also help the ZDX meet the various needs of its target buyers.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News