Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Me too.

Let's hope that a possibly MMC 4G TL-S will have the look and hp to make me happy, now that the V8 RWD RL is DEAD. I've been waiting forever to trade in my 2G for another Acura product due to the one-time-shitty 2G tranny.
Im moving on, im not waiting for Acura to pull their head out of their asses and start designing cars with options, engines, and drivetrains that let me choose what i want, and better looks.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Im moving on, im not waiting for Acura to pull their head out of their asses and start designing cars with options, engines, and drivetrains that let me choose what i want, and better looks.
I hope you have time.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats there to move on from? Acura has never even developed their own chasis....all along every ones been riding on Honda Accord components. And they never really gave u much choices for options...everything already had Leather, power everything etc. The only options were usually just the Tech/Nav packages.

I dont understand why people ever bought Acura's...I would never spend more than $26k on a car built by a company that continues to use an Accord platform for their best performing cars
Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,104 Likes on 2,550 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Whats there to move on from? Acura has never even developed their own chasis....all along every ones been riding on Honda Accord components. And they never really gave u much choices for options...everything already had Leather, power everything etc. The only options were usually just the Tech/Nav packages.

I dont understand why people ever bought Acura's...I would never spend more than $26k on a car built by a company that continues to use an Accord platform for their best performing cars
The NSX and 2G Legend chassis and drivetrains were both developed exclusively for those cars. Both were also sold as Honda's too, so it's difficult to say they were developed as Acura's since that only applies to North America.

As for me it was really easy to spend $30K for a 3G TL. I debated getting a 7G Accord EX but driving the 3G TL back to back and their was no comparison in terms of performance. It's a compromise to use the Accord platform but on the 3G it comes off really well. Also factor in a 6MT, torsen differential, Brembo 4-piston calipers, front aluminum sub-frame, great styling (inside and out), and only a few thousand more than a Accord EX-L V6. Also the choices for exterior/interior color combinations were far more. About the only drawback was the need for premium gas.

With the 4G TL sales tanking I think Honda/Acura have discovered that looks and price do matter, I would not even consider a 4G TL or 8G Accord (looks and cost) but to me the 3G TL choose was easy.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-22-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw a TL on the road the other day with the RJ grille. much improvement, imo.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

I'd even consider the new Optima 2.0T model. I might even sign if AWD was an option, but alas that's quite unlikely for now.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,970 Likes on 3,837 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
saw a TL on the road the other day with the RJ grille. much improvement, imo.
Did it help the high belt line, fat bloated body, or the rear end?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but the upgrade larger wheels did.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I bet RJ is shitting his pants at the prospect of Acura refreshing the grille... that power plenum grille probably paid for his swimming pool.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Did it help the high belt line, fat bloated body, or the rear end?

High belt line doesn't bother me. If you want fat bloated - go with the SHO, the TL is within a hair of the S4 on the scale. Rear-end isn't too bad, except for the strange plastic accent at the bottom of the trunk lift, let's call it the "power girdle".

Front/Rear overhang is a worthy quibble, and of course the much maligned power plenum.

What I find remarkable is how much brand equity Honda truly has. Otherwise, why would you guys act like a bunch of jilted lovers. Hopefully the designers in So-Cal are listening and will get their crap together.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I bet RJ is shitting his pants at the prospect of Acura refreshing the grille... that power plenum grille probably paid for his swimming pool.
I bet what ever it looks like he can make one look better.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

High belt line doesn't bother me. If you want fat bloated - go with the SHO, the TL is within a hair of the S4 on the scale. Rear-end isn't too bad, except for the strange plastic accent at the bottom of the trunk lift, let's call it the "power girdle".

Front/Rear overhang is a worthy quibble, and of course the much maligned power plenum.

What I find remarkable is how much brand equity Honda truly has. Otherwise, why would you guys act like a bunch of jilted lovers. Hopefully the designers in So-Cal are listening and will get their crap together.

I do hate the 4G as a matter of fact. I think I've been pretty clear as to how I think the car looks like an abortion from every conceivable angle, from the buck tooth, overgrown grille, to the "dog taking a shit" rear, and everything in between.

I would drive the SHO all day, everyday, compared the the 4G. Like I said in here before....Acura couldn't give me a 4G.

Yes I'm pissed that Acura took one of their finest design achievements - the 3G and, like a child doing finger painting, came up with that. I'll get over it. there are many autos in the world and for me...Acura ain't one of 'em.

It's good that you enjoy yours though.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Maybe Alfa Romeo will be over here by then and instead of a new Acura I'll have a sexy Italian to put in my garage....well at least on occasion when it's not in the shop.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Wow
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 2,784 Likes on 1,984 Posts
yea acura has nothing for me. the only thing that has a slight chance would be a TSX.

i think after the 3G TL i got, might take a look at the G25 or G35.

mebe audi
Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Wow
Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mizouse
yea acura has nothing for me. the only thing that has a slight chance would be a TSX.

mebe audi
I know Alfa will never go through with it but:

I want.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Mizouse

mebe audi

Or...11 Mustang GT...or...the incoming Buick Regal GS...Hyundai Gen. Coupe/ or 2.0T Sonata...How about a Caddy?...CTS Sedan/Coupe or the incoming ATS...OR...the next SHO w/400hp... Not to mention any of the Germans.

Too many other options out there to worry about land. aka - Aaackura
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Or...11 Mustang GT...or...the incoming Buick Regal GS...Hyundai Gen. Coupe/ or 2.0T Sonata...How about a Caddy?...CTS Sedan/Coupe or the incoming ATS...OR...the next SHO w/400hp... Not to mention any of the Germans.

Too many other options out there to worry about land. aka - Aaackura
The new Regal GS is definately on my radar. In black it just looks fantastic. I just hope it turns out to have more than the concept's 255 horsepower.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
The new Regal GS is definately on my radar. In black it just looks fantastic. I just hope it turns out to have more than the concept's 255 horsepower.

to the GS. It wont have more hp though. It's shame we don't get the turbo V6 from Europe.

Last edited by West6MT; 07-22-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by West6MT
to the GS. It wont have more hp though. It's shame we don't get the turbo V6 from Europe.
Well a guy can always easily and affordably chip it.

And while the AlloyTech V6 is good, I'm only a little disappointed it won't come in our version. The Alloytech is very expensive to manufacture (because it is produced Down Under), has had fair lag in both versions I've driven that have LESS power (so I bet it's even more pronounced in the VXR/OPC), and is not fuel efficient at all. It would be less efficient than a huge SHO, which also has more power.

It does sound sensational, however.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Well a guy can always easily and affordably chip it.

And while the AlloyTech V6 is good, I'm only a little disappointed it won't come in our version. The Alloytech is very expensive to manufacture (because it is produced Down Under), has had fair lag in both versions I've driven that have LESS power (so I bet it's even more pronounced in the VXR/OPC), and is not fuel efficient at all. It would be less efficient than a huge SHO, which also has more power.

It does sound sensational, however.
True,..........and interesting about lag etc. I should go back and watch the Top Gear episode when they test it to see what May says about that engine etc.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by West6MT
True,..........and interesting about lag etc. I should go back and watch the Top Gear episode when they test it to see what May says about that engine etc.
Go ahead but you'll be disappointed. May's review was terrible and all he basically says is "it's the best OPC we've gotten and it's very sporty".

However, Autoblogger tested the OPC and did mentioned turbo lag. Just Youtube "autoblogger insignia opc" and it should be the first one, a white sedan example. Also try the review done by Autoweek, and simply replace "autoblogger" with "autoweek" in your search; the result should be the first video, a blue sedan example. They too mention this.

Some people find that kind of lag entertaining, others don't. Perhaps a bit subjective.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
If not for my Honda/Acura loyalty, I would have been moved on years ago.

In fact, I have been holding back myself recently not to buy the GS450h, ever since I sat in the one that belongs to my brother-in-law.

The GS450h has the power, especially state of the art hybrid technology (for performance, not for fuel economy). V8 like performance, but V6 like fuel economy. This is ADVANCE. Also, simple RWD mechanics, no power-robbing AWD hardware. Well, V8 and AWD are of course available optional.

Why can't Acura build something like that !?

This is very sad for Acura. There is simply no upgrade path available for those Acura owners (like me) who want to move up to true luxury performance cars. This is exactly why Acura will never ever become a true luxury brand, because it's cars fall short even at the true luxury level of A6/5-series/E-class/Lexus-GS/Infiniti-M level.

I hope my 2G tranny can stay together longer than my patience wearing too thin.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
IMO with the nature of mass produced automobile companies and their dealership networks, there is very, very little reward for brand loyalty. Personally, I have never understood that concept. If anything, it closes you off to other car brands which are just as good or better. A potential benefit is more haggling room when it comes to the finance department, but that is far from guaranteed. They probably won't care unless you've owned the same car for 10 years and driven over 300k miles or you have bought over 10 cars from them for personal use.

I'm not singling you out in this post, but there are other members on this forum, (such as a member aptly named after a certain manufacturer's variable valve timing technology) and people in society in general who are loyal to the point of looking absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by Costco; 07-23-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Totally agree. I do not understand brand loyalty. You bought a depreciating asset from a company that manufactures millions of them. U think they will give u a cookie if your loyal to them?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Burning Brakes

In fact, I have been holding back myself recently not to buy the GS450h, ever since I sat in the one that belongs to my brother-in-law.

The GS450h has the power, especially state of the art hybrid technology (for performance, not for fuel economy). V8 like performance, but V6 like fuel economy. This is ADVANCE. Also, simple RWD mechanics, no power-robbing AWD hardware. Well, V8 and AWD are of course available optional.

This is very sad for Acura. There is simply no upgrade path available for those Acura owners (like me) who want to move up to true luxury performance cars. This is exactly why Acura will never ever become a true luxury brand, because it's cars fall short even at the true luxury level of A6/5-series/E-class/Lexus-GS/Infiniti-M level.

A GS450h costs almost $80,000 in Canada
Old 07-23-2010, 02:58 AM
6G TLX-S

A GS450h costs almost $80,000 in Canada
The MSRP for the GS450h is $71,900 Cdn.
The MSRP for the RL-elite is $69,500 Cdn.

I was planning to buy the now-dead V8 RWD RL, and there is nothing in the Acura horizon except the possibly 4G MMC TL-S.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Burning Brakes

The MSRP for the GS450h is $71,900 Cdn.
The MSRP for the RL-elite is $69,500 Cdn.

I was planning to buy the now-dead V8 RWD RL, and there is nothing in the Acura horizon except the possibly 4G MMC TL-S.
V8 and RWD doesnt make it less ugly but if u got that much money than go nuts lol

Its about $80 after freight and HST for the base model? I didnt add any options...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:26 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
IMO with the nature of mass produced automobile companies and their dealership networks, there is very, very little reward for brand loyalty. Personally, I have never understood that concept. If anything, it closes you off to other car brands which are just as good or better. A potential benefit is more haggling room when it comes to the finance department, but that is far from guaranteed. They probably won't care unless you've owned the same car for 10 years and driven over 300k miles or you have bought over 10 cars from them for personal use.

I'm not singling you out in this post, but there are other members on this forum, (such as a member aptly named after a certain manufacturer's variable valve timing technology) and people in society in general who are loyal to the point of looking absolutely ridiculous.
My family is a big fan of Honda/Acura products. We have bought '84 Accord, '88 Accord, '90 Accord, '90 Integra, '95 Accord, '96 TL, '02 TL, '05 TL, '06 I-4 and V6 Accord's.

I owned the heavily modded '90 Integra for 12 years. I virtually drove the car to the ground when it began to need major overhauling. The '02 TL-S was a delight with CLASS-LEADING 260hp at that time. The car was almost invincible on the road with all other competing cars still generating ~200hp during that time.

The fame of Honda/Acura was at the peak during that period, with the automotive world consistently crowning it to be the best auto engine builder in the world.

Having been driving nothing but Honda's and Acura's for more than 25 years, I don't need no cookie for being loyal to Honda/Acura, because driving a car that was build by the best engine builder in the world makes me proud. This feeling alone worth more than a thousand cookies.

That was then. But now Honda and especially Acura has been falling way behind it's competitors in terms of both technology and styling.

If it isn't that badly designed 2G tranny, I ain't that eager to replace my also modded TL-S.

But there is a limit to being loyal to a brand. If the brand keeps disappointing, there are always lots of other better choices out there to choose from, like you said.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 AM
6G TLX-S

V8 and RWD doesnt make it less ugly but if u got that much money than go nuts lol

Its about $80 after freight and HST for the base model? I didnt add any options...
Having worked for 1/4 of a century, it's time to reward myself.

I moved up from the Integra to the TL. So the next step up will be the Acura-RL/Lexus-GS/Infinti-M sedans.

But the problem is that the RL ain't worth spending that much on.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Could that possibly be someone whose name almost sounds like 'ricer'?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 AM
My first Avatar....

I was reading somewhere (don't remember the source) that they might re-tune the GS to be more in line with the forthcoming 274 hp Sonata 2.0T.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I was reading somewhere (don't remember the source) that they might re-tune the GS to be more in line with the forthcoming 274 hp Sonata 2.0T.
I read the same and am hoping!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

This

I have been thru 5 trans on my 2gtl, converted it to 6 speed manual and put 350+K MILES on it. I like honda as much as many others. The fact they have gone the direction they have with design and product has and will make me go elsewhere for a better vehicle.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully Acura will change someday but I do agree with a couple people earlier who said that, even if you can't afford it personally, you never know how your financial situations will change for worse or better, and Acura currently doesn't offer anything for someone who's financial situation that improves and wants to move up to a bigger/more expensive sport performance option in the company, like you can do with the other luxury companies.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I feel the need...

I would drive the SHO all day, everyday, compared the the 4G. Like I said in here before....Acura couldn't give me a 4G.

Sorry, you hit the failboat with comments like that. You can hate the exterior styling all you want - but the TL SH-AWD *esp 6MT* is superior in every way to the SHO.

I really like the exterior styling of the SHO, but if you drive it, you'll quickly discover what a fat pig it really is. The interior is sub-par, relative to its class and when you hit anything other than a straight line, its like poking an Explorer where the sun don't shine.

It's getting tiresome listening to all you jilted lovers who piss and moan - thats what I mean about brand equity. Clearly you guys care about the brand, otherwise why would you lament like you do. There are plenty of choices in the tier one space, if tier one space is your priority. Move on.

If Honda cares about you, they will build something for you.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, you hit the failboat with comments like that. You can hate the exterior styling all you want - but the TL SH-AWD *esp 6MT* is superior in every way to the SHO.

I really like the exterior styling of the SHO, but if you drive it, you'll quickly discover what a fat pig it really is. The interior is sub-par, relative to its class and when you hit anything other than a straight line, its like poking an Explorer where the sun don't shine.

It's getting tiresome listening to all you jilted lovers who piss and moan - thats what I mean about brand equity. Clearly you guys care about the brand, otherwise why would you lament like you do. There are plenty of choices in the tier one space, if tier one space is your priority. Move on.

If Honda cares about you, they will build something for you.
Every is an awfully strong word. It's also a rather poor choice to compare a midsize-ish manual sport luxury sedan with a jumbo car. This is but like comparing a 550i M-Sport 6M to a S550 AMG Sport.

The Ford compares AT BEST to the TL AWD 5A, where it is wayyyyy quicker, gets comparable fuel economy, has more features, more room, a far larger trunk, and has a smoother, quieter ride.

Oh yeah, the TL leads in EVERY way. Even against the manual all of that still stands, except the 0-1/4 mi time has a minimal difference (and nevertheless the SHO will be much quicker in most situations).

Is the TL inferior? No, it's better handling, has a better quality interior, and offers a manual.

They are two different cars and while I somewhat favor the SHO, the winner comes more down to preference.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I feel the need...

They are two different cars and while I somewhat favor the SHO, the winner comes more down to preference.
Indeed they are different. But the point I'm making is that if you care about style over substance - then by all means do so. Stop bitching and whining - love the competition, thats the great thing about capitalism, until Obama dictates that we should all drive Chevy Volt's.

If you place RWD a priority above all else, get on it then, nobody is stopping you.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Indeed they are different. But the point I'm making is that if you care about style over substance - then by all means do so. Stop bitching and whining - love the competition, thats the great thing about capitalism, until Obama dictates that we should all drive Chevy Volt's.

If you place RWD a priority above all else, get on it then, nobody is stopping you.
I don't follow, sorry.

He merely said he'd drive an SHO over the 4G TL, and I suspect it wasn't on the sole basis of exterior styling. I'd prefer the SHO to the current 4G TL but styling isn't why.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News