Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I'm surprised MyCar hasn't chimed in yet.....
What's that supposed to mean?

I read and laugh to myself now. It's not worth wasting E-space anymore.

In other TL news I may not have mine much longer....
Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
What are you getting man?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

What are you getting man?
Well the trade in I'm waiting for later on, but I have family friends whose daughter will be driving soon and they offered a generous price on my TL since it's fairly mint (though to be honest I have not had the center stack lights fixed yet so that needs taking care of) for its mileage and I never drove it hard.

But until then I have the badass truck that everyone in truckdom loves, aka Ridgeline. I'm thinking more and more of the new Saab 9-5, but I don't know yet. I'd still like to wait a year for the new Regal GS and MMC TL, as the TL is the pinnacle of design both in exterior and interior as we have now been shown.

There, I chimed in.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

lol... What's your budget? The more I see the 9-5 the more I'm liking it.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

lol... What's your budget? The more I see the 9-5 the more I'm liking it.
The general neighborhood of 40 is enough. I'd be able to cough up a little more (as in 15-20K) if I really loved something (and with the 9-5 I love the looks). I can't do smallish cars as my rear seat is used regularly by adults. On the other hand I don't want a boat. Midsize is good for my needs.

The midsize Germans nickle and dime me right out of any semblence of a price range and the new M doesn't move me. I was really waiting for the 4G TL and I had too many quibbles. That's why I've since been kind of a lost man in the aisles of newcardom.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
Originally Posted by mycarisntinmywifesname
the general neighborhood of 40 is enough. I'd be able to cough up a little more (as in 15-20k) if i really loved something (and with the 9-5 i love the looks). I can't do smallish cars as my rear seat is used regularly by adults. On the other hand i don't want a boat. Midsize is good for my needs.

The midsize germans nickle and dime me right out of any semblence of a price range and the new m doesn't move me. I was really waiting for the 4g tl and i had too many quibbles. That's why i've since been kind of a lost man in the aisles of newcardom.
CTS-V. Do it.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I think I was in the same boat as you last month. I kept getting the itch and loved my 3G as it was such a well rounded car, but the new TL was too big and too awkward looking for my tastes. I have absolutely zero need for a car that was larger then my 3G. I bought it just after graduating and getting discharged.

I kept my budget at 40 large which is beaucoup bucks no matter what age range unless you're making 180k + per year. I wanted a car around the same size as my 3G, four doors as I have a dog, and as sporty or sportier then the TL.... The G37S fit the bill and I got 1.9% financing and a great purchase price to boot.

I'm happy as a clam. Driving this car eerily reminds me of my RSX-S (nimble, sporty, peppy) combined with similar dimensions and practicality of my TL (four doors, safe, comfortable).

I have a feeling with the toned down grille the MMC TL will be worth a serious look especially since it is a bit larger then your current one.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
CTS-V. Do it.
If you could find me a CPO 2G V for around 40 I would've jumped on it in a heart beat.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

CTS-V. Do it.
How I wish.

I think I was in the same boat as you last month. I kept getting the itch and loved my 3G as it was such a well rounded car, but the new TL was too big and too awkward looking for my tastes. I have absolutely zero need for a car that was larger then my 3G. I bought it just after graduating and getting discharged.

I kept my budget at 40 large which is beaucoup bucks no matter what age range unless you're making 180k + per year. I wanted a car around the same size as my 3G, four doors as I have a dog, and as sporty or sportier then the TL.... The G37S fit the bill and I got 1.9% financing and a great purchase price to boot.

I'm happy as a clam. Driving this car eerily reminds me of my RSX-S (nimble, sporty, peppy) combined with similar dimensions and practicality of my TL (four doors, safe, comfortable).

I have a feeling with the toned down grille the MMC TL will be worth a serious look especially since it is a bit larger then your current one.
I did like the G37.

Somehow I feel like I'll just breakdown and buy something now that it's been a while. I've never owned a car this long but I like it.

I'm waiting for that MMC if I make it past this fall
Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 AM

$49k is around $40k

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Last edited by civicdrivr; 08-29-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I think you can last it's only a couple of months...
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

That's a fucking steal. Still a lil rich for my blood. Maybe I can move my girl and my dog into my mom's house and I can buy it
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

I won't be drag racing any G37s with my GS will I?

Still feels naughty having a stick, turbo, and tq vectoring AWD in a ....Buick. It's the vehicle I'm most looking towards.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
Still feels naughty having a stick, turbo, and tq vectoring AWD in a ....Buick. It's the vehicle I'm most looking towards.
Those three things equal win in my book.

Heres another CTS-V, just cheaper:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Buick has a compelling package as well. I'd rock one... They had the TSX in their cross hairs for this car, not to mention it looks great.

I haven't raced anybody though for some reasons I keep having run ins with different STIs. I just ignore them though. I'm not too keen on flying through the streets and endangering lives.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Those three things equal win in my book.

Heres another CTS-V, just cheaper:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
LMAO "big daddy caddy" no pics?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Regarding that CTS-V, it's both awesome but also a 46K car that has 22K on the odo.

When paying this kind of money it's nice to have a fresh car. I don't need obnoxious power (but I'm sure it'd be really fun).

You'd also get to know your fuel station attendents well.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Problem with CTS and Jaguar XF is that are not well put together. After one year of long term test. they show there true colors
http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/c...cts-v6-di.html
And an overwhelming number of rattles and creaks caused one editor to nickname our 2008 Cadillac CTS "Rattlesaurus
DI engine and 6speed auto dont give any performance & fuel economy advantage.

Jaguar XF needed not only new tires but 3 times alignment in its long term test on C&D. It is the cost of wear and tear that adds up. drive over a small pot hole and you need alignment right away on Jaguar XF. It is basically a tin can. Even Hyundai Genesis needed new tires after 35K miles on C&D long term test. and it is not high g pulling sedan on HPT tires.

My TSX has not needed a alignment in its two years and i have jump from 12inch gas station floor and have curbed wheels couple of times. 1
180AAA Yoko has more than half tread life left after 20k miles.

Acura can atleast claim that It has the longest tire and brake life on long term tests for AWD performance sedan on HPT tires.
Pilot PS2 has only 200 tread rating. and it is solidly going 25k to 30k miles on long term punishing magazine tests.
300 tread rating will go over 50 to 60k miles in normal driving.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Problem with CTS and Jaguar XF is that are not well put together. After one year of long term test. they show there true colors

Jaguar XF needed not only new tires but 3 times alignment in its long term test on C&D. It is the cost of wear and tear that adds up. drive over a small pot hole and you need alignment right away on Jaguar XF. It is basically a tin can. Even Hyundai Genesis needed new tires after 35K miles on C&D long term test. and it is not high g pulling sedan on HPT tires.

My TSX has not needed a alignment in its two years and i have jump from 12inch gas station floor and have curbed wheels couple of times. 1
Thanks!
No need even to consult Wikipedia more.
I didn't know before that Cadillac and Jaguar are not well put together.
I feel so ignorant compared to you.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SSFTSX why are the TL sales down so much?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
oh i dunno......

It's also one big bitch too...
Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Acura can atleast claim that It has the longest tire and brake life on long term tests for AWD performance sedan on HPT tires.
Pilot PS2 has only 200 tread rating. and it is solidly going 25k to 30k miles on long term punishing magazine tests.
300 tread rating will go over 50 to 60k miles in normal driving.
Compared to my two other Acuras an Integra GS-R and an RSX-S I did not feel that my 3G was put together as well. Maybe it being an Ohio build I dunno, that's beside the point.

My TL was full of rattles even from the first few weeks of owning the car and I purchased it with 13 miles on the odometer. The window regulators and door lock actuators were replaced several times along with a speaker that would rattle. The rear shelf still rattled despite the TSB being performed.

It was FAR from a bad car. It definitely was not perfect though I've had my car for four years and 70k miles...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Compared to my two other Acuras an Integra GS-R and an RSX-S I did not feel that my 3G was put together as well. Maybe it being an Ohio build I dunno, that's beside the point.

My TL was full of rattles even from the first few weeks of owning the car and I purchased it with 13 miles on the odometer. The window regulators and door lock actuators were replaced several times along with a speaker that would rattle. The rear shelf still rattled despite the TSB being performed.

It was FAR from a bad car. It definitely was not perfect though I've had my car for four years and 70k miles...
I have only one rattle.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
First is economic as overall market is down 40%. Lexus ES/GS/IS are similarly down. 3G TL FWD was cheaper 3.2L car. pirced like current TSX.
Car has moved up market.
Basic TL-FWD 4G is nearly equal in price to 3G TL-Type S. and Type S was small portion of 3G Sales.
There is also implementaion issue with new technology. 5speed Auto in this category of car will not give you good EPA sticker MPG. Real world difference may not be that much.
so 10% to 20% of buyers will prefer more fuel efficient MB E350/528I/ ES/GS
I would say another 10 to 20% will be turned off by this striking styling.
so 40% can be attributed to economy as car is pricer & martket is down. Acura customers are not used to it in one model change.

There is also lack of bhp when compared to basic G37. People who prefer sport driving see 330 bhp/7speed Auto $33k car compared to 280bhp 5speed Auto FWD @$35K.

There is also lack of technolgoy in lighting. Front of the car is signature if it lacks LED DRL it will effect some buyer choices as they see these things every day on the road during day time not night time. people like Audi LED, BMW angel eyes DRL etc.
so there is host of issues that prevent various consumer groups of not buying TL.
The following users liked this post:
cairo333 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

These are electronic malfunction issues that are totally in different league in Jaguar/Cadillic for similar usage condition.
Your TL was structurally sound as it didnot wear tires and brakes prematurely or need constant alignments for daily use or battery die down when not expecting it.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

First is economic as overall market is down 40%. Lexus ES/GS/IS are similarly down. 3G TL FWD was cheaper 3.2L car. pirced like current TSX.
Car has moved up market.
Basic TL-FWD 4G is nearly equal in price to 3G TL-Type S. and Type S was small portion of 3G Sales.
There is also implementaion issue with new technology. 5speed Auto in this category of car will not give you good EPA sticker MPG. Real world difference may not be that much.
so 10% to 20% of buyers will prefer more fuel efficient MB E350/528I/ ES/GS
I would say another 10 to 20% will be turned off by this striking styling.
so 40% can be attributed to economy as car is pricer & martket is down. Acura customers are not used to it in one model change.

There is also lack of bhp when compared to basic G37. People who prefer sport driving see 330 bhp/7speed Auto $33k car compared to 280bhp 5speed Auto FWD @$35K.

There is also lack of technolgoy in lighting. Front of the car is signature if it lacks LED DRL it will effect some buyer choices as they see these things every day on the road during day time not night time. people like Audi LED, BMW angel eyes DRL etc.
so there is host of issues that prevent various consumer groups of not buying TL.
More like polarizing. Two years after its introduction I'm still not used to it. Either that or I just can't warm up to the grille.
These are electronic malfunction issues that are totally in different league in Jaguar/Cadillic for similar usage condition.
Your TL was structurally sound as it didnot wear tires and brakes prematurely or need constant alignments for daily use or battery die down when not expecting it.
Actually I've been through 3 sets of rotors and pads since the rotors continually warped. Racingbrake was by far the best rotor and pad combo for the auto TLs.

I've also had 3 sets of tires as well.... I never tracked it, but the stock rubber went for about 38k second set around 22k and the third set lasted until I traded it in.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by krio
Thanks!
No need even to consult Wikipedia more.
I didn't know before that Cadillac and Jaguar are not well put together.
I feel so ignorant compared to you.
Not only that you are also ignorant of implementation issues with new technology.
For example when Lexus implemented 6speed auto, DI engine int0 GS350. It turns into fastest, most fuel efficient, quietest car in its segment.
CTS has DI, 6speed but it lacks all the qualities of Lexus GS.
Once Acura TL implments 6speed auto. it would nearly be equal in all those categories to G350 with SH-AWD on top of that.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Except the one quality that actually brings people into the showrooms. Attractive lines.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

More like polarizing. Two years after its introduction I'm still not used to it. Either that or I just can't warm up to the grille.
As i said there different consumer tastes. some will not like grill, some will turn off by its fuel economic. when 528/535 8speed auto is putting 32mpg on EPA. others will be turn off by it lack of 3D navigation systm (this thing looks very cool inside the car, ACC, blind spot etc. there is lack of distinct LEDs. so there is host of short comings in its class.
Actually I've been through 3 sets of rotors and pads since the rotors continually warped. Racingbrake was by far the best rotor and pad combo for the auto TLs.

I've also had 3 sets of tires as well.... I never tracked it, but the stock rubber went for about 38k second set around 22k and the third set lasted until I traded it in.
Alteast you got trade in value. imagine you driving 2004-05 Jaquar to 70k miles. by this time you would have declared bankruptcy for alll its expenses.
2009-10 Acura are better built and engine/transmission/suspension/brakes issues are sorted out. Only Accord/TSX has brake short life TSB for 2009.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not only that you are also ignorant of implementation issues with new technology.
For example when Lexus implemented 6speed auto, DI engine int0 GS350. It turns into fastest, most fuel efficient, quietest car in its segment.
CTS has DI, 6speed but it lacks all the qualities of Lexus GS.
Once Acura TL implments 6speed auto. it would nearly be equal in all those categories to G350 with SH-AWD on top of that.
SSFTSX I suggest you: don't loose your time with me. I really don't a mind a thing about your assertions (not opinions: assertions).
Old 08-29-2010, 05:35 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

SSFTSX do all of your friends drive Acuras?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

As i said there different consumer tastes. some will not like grill, some will turn off by its fuel economic. when 528/535 8speed auto is putting 32mpg on EPA. others will be turn off by it lack of 3D navigation systm (this thing looks very cool inside the car, ACC, blind spot etc. there is lack of distinct LEDs. so there is host of short comings in its class.

Alteast you got trade in value. imagine you driving 2004-05 Jaquar to 70k miles. by this time you would have declared bankruptcy for alll its expenses.
2009-10 Acura are better built and engine/transmission/suspension/brakes issues are sorted out. Only Accord/TSX has brake short life TSB for 2009.
I think the economy and the grille have been the two major reasons this car is not living up to the sales expectations of the previous generations.

Yes my trade was very good. I can't speak for any Jag or Caddy, I'd actually like to come back to the Acura fold one day. 5th Gen TL perhaps? Maybe shrink it or ensure that those 6 inches in length actually went to the interior space..
Old 08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

I think the economy and the grille have been the two major reasons this car is not living up to the sales expectations of the previous generations.

Yes my trade was very good. I can't speak for any Jag or Caddy, I'd actually like to come back to the Acura fold one day. 5th Gen TL perhaps? Maybe shrink it or ensure that those 6 inches in length actually went to the interior space..
Rear legroom is not much different than other midsize competitors.
It is not only grill and economy but competiton when most people look fuel economy EPA gaint stickers.
All those IS/ES/GS/BMW 5/MB E are getting better EPA mpg at reasonable price point.
The price gap between 3G 3.2 TL and 525I was much bigger than price gap between new 528I & 4g TL FWD when you consider content/power/fuel economy.
Even with dynamic handling & sport package BMW 5 is not much better than FWD TL on slolam & skid pad. TL-SH-AWD is beyond the reach of current BMW 3/5 except for M3.
so both economy (overall lower demand) & more content/efficiency from competition has impact on TL sales.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I was giving my manager a ride after he dropped off his Saab for service. We got to talking about cars and how he wants to get something. He said he looked at the TL and it's hideous beak turned him off. The designers must have been high when they were designing the thing.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Acura TL 2011

http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=TL

Nothing new.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I thought they changed the grille?????
Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

I thought they changed the grille?????
In the 2012 model (april 2011):
6AT
new grille
more power
new bumpers
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
It looks like that grille is two-tone in that pic.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

motherfuckers.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

motherfuckers.
You hoped about some changes on the 2011 TL? It's only the third year of production... till the mid cycle 2012 model NO changes are expected.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News