Type-S is almost here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
AWD is deadweight.
the added parasitic loss of an AWD drivetrain. There's a reason the trap speeds for an AWD car is a bit lower than that of the same car with RWD.
IIRC, the Audi had the least HP, and won a few and hardly lost by much on the rolling starts.
I like a good staged drag-race as much as the next guy, but again ... get real. These are street-cars and most are daily/weekend drivers.
You guys can't really be this obsessed with racing. I might drive my Audis a little hard sometimes, but they are $50k-$70k ... so I tend to baby-them the rest of the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
ELIN (04-21-2021), Shadow2056 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,442 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
IIRC, the Audi had the least HP, and won a few and hardly lost by much on the rolling starts.
I like a good staged drag-race as much as the next guy, but again ... get real. These are street-cars and most are daily/weekend drivers.
You guys can't really be this obsessed with racing. I might drive my Audis a little hard sometimes, but they are $50k-$70k ... so I tend to baby-them the rest of the time.
No offense, but you have a Q5e and an A5. Neither are performance cars by any stretch of the imagination. Performance numbers are as relevant for those cars as they are comparing the performance of a Camry to an Accord. However, the Type S, M340i, S4, C43, etc. are performance oriented cars, and as such performance metrics do matter.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio85
1. Even the standard TLX is marketed as being "FAST" and a performance sedan.

2. So what fucking claim do you think the fucking piece of fucking shit Type-S is going to pull out of its fucking ass wizardly bullshit built Honda POS ass?

3. And there's no Civics making 350HP beating a Viper unless it's gutted and making that power at the wheels. Again, basic fucking physics. Power + weight will determine who wins. Unless one has an obscenely peaky powerband that is near useless. I'm so fucking done with this dumbshit fucking Honda community. Fucking done. Fucking Christ I can't fucking take it anymore.
1. Right. And I've driven a couple ... and it clearly isn't. Even a stock 2021 A4 is quicker.

2. Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. My Acura salesman offered to let me test drive it ( if I let him test drive my A5 ). We'll see.
3. dude, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
one4all (04-22-2021), Shadow2056 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:20 PM
Safety Car

Do you have your head in the sand? Even the standard TLX is marketed as being "FAST" and a performance sedan. The Type-S even more so. This is the primary reason I chastise it every chance I get. That and the deranged fanboys hailing the thing as the second coming of Christ.

And your video was rebuked by mine. How many times do I have to repeat myself? The carwow video clearly shows the C63S and M4 walking away from the RS5 from a roll. This is literally the shit I can't fucking stand from the Honda crowd. See what you want with your narrow-minded dumbfuckery. The RS5 wins from a dig because it has AWD compared to RWD. From a roll, where traction isn't limited, motherfucking basic fucking physics and "numbers on paper" trump asinine fucking fanboyism as both the M4 and C63 walk away because ... holy fucking shit ... they both have more power on paper with the same fucking weight. The TLX-S's competition all have AWD and drivetrains built to withstand hard launches instead of SH-AWD which isn't. It's as heavy or heavier than the competition. So what fucking claim do you think the fucking piece of fucking shit Type-S is going to pull out of its fucking ass wizardly bullshit built Honda POS ass?

And there's no Civics making 350HP beating a Viper unless it's gutted and making that power at the wheels. Again, basic fucking physics. Power + weight will determine who wins. Unless one has an obscenely peaky powerband that is near useless. I'm so fucking done with this dumbshit fucking Honda community. Fucking done. Fucking Christ I can't fucking take it anymore.
At least Motortrend is calling out Acura Marketing for this BS:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...t-test-review/

Go to Acura's website right now and look up the MDX. "Performance" is the overriding message. It's listed as a "premium performance SUV," performance is the first of three categories presented for further information, and an additional section on performance is directly below. It's consistent with all of Acura's messaging about the MDX, and the direction of the greater Acura brand, both of which center on "precision crafted performance."

The issue is, the MDX doesn't deliver. Not on that message, anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-21-2021), silverTL6 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

No offense, but you have a Q5e and an A5. Neither are performance cars by any stretch of the imagination. Performance numbers are as relevant for those cars as they are comparing the performance of a Camry to an Accord. However, the Type S, M340i, S4, C43, etc. are performance oriented cars, and as such performance metrics do matter.
For a Porsche owner, you sure like to dog the Audis.
I think the Q5-e (362 hp / 369 lb-ft of torque) with Kick-Down/Launch-Control could easily give a S4 or TLX-Type-S V6 a good run. We all kinda-know the Type-S is not going to be that fast.

My A5 can easily take the TLX-2.0T (and most Accords, Civics, and Camry). I never said either were high-performance, just quick.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

For a Porsche owner, you sure like to dog the Audis.
I think the Q5-e (362 hp / 369 lb-ft of torque) with Kick-Down/Launch-Control could easily give a S4 or TLX-Type-S V6 a good run. We all kinda-know the Type-S is not going to be that fast.

My A5 can easily take the TLX-2.0T (and most Accords, Civics, and Camry). I never said either were high-performance, just quick.
Can you point to where I criticized Audis? I don't think I've ever said a bad thing about Audis other than past reliability woes. In fact, Porsche crossovers use the same platform and engines as their Audi counterparts...
Old 04-20-2021, 11:54 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,156 Likes on 827 Posts

In fact, Porsche crossovers use the same platform and engines as their Audi counterparts...
Don't forget Volkswagen too, platform-wise.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 287 Posts
Performance does not mean acceleration only. I have said it again and again, chassis is the highlight of this wave of new Acuras and most of the discussions here completely overlook the merit. Of course I wish the 2.0T has zero lag, and J30A is as good as B58, but for the price asked the powertrain performance is passable.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

I want to laugh reading MT's comments. Acura must have forgotten to pay the ads. The braking/cornering numbers are testing tires more than anything as usual, and they want a 3-roe SUV to drive like a sports car basically. A-spec have unique, harder seats. Oh, and they are still living in the past where RDX brake is soggy. No true at all, MT just had a RDX that needs TSB applied. I will blame Acura for not getting their on-loan vehicle sorted out, though. Anyway, probably 50% of the content read like finding faults for the sake of finding something to complain. I am indifferent about 4G MDX, but I cannot help noticing some of the MT comments are obvious from someone who really does not like the MDX, and not consistent with other reviewers' comments.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 AM
Burning Brakes

1. In fact, Porsche crossovers use the same platform and engines as their Audi counterparts...

2. Can you point to where I criticized Audis? I don't think I've ever said a bad thing about Audis other than past reliability woes.
1. True. In fact (AFAIK) VW Group owns Porsche.

2. Not gonna get into all that with you. In fact, I meant to add a smiley at the end but editing is restricted.
Not sure if you remember me, but I remember you. You helped me out a while back.

I think what we consider "performance cars" is changing. Like is it just the "best version" of a car (like RS5) ? No, not really as the S5 is about the same car. Does a V6 make it? Well, I used to have one of the best V6 Honda/Acura made in my Accord, but back then that meant it was only 240hp. 4-cylinder turbos surpass that now-days. Mated with a common 100hp electric motor, can easily give a pure-ICE vehicle a good match.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
I want to laugh reading MT's comments. Acura must have forgotten to pay the ads. The braking/cornering numbers are testing tires more than anything as usual, and they want a 3-roe SUV to drive like a sports car basically. A-spec have unique, harder seats. Oh, and they are still living in the past where RDX brake is soggy. No true at all, MT just had a RDX that needs TSB applied. I will blame Acura for not getting their on-loan vehicle sorted out, though. Anyway, probably 50% of the content read like finding faults for the sake of finding something to complain. I am indifferent about 4G MDX, but I cannot help noticing some of the MT comments are obvious from someone who really does not like the MDX, and not consistent with other reviewers' comments.
They do whatever they can to sell the magazines. I believe it's called "sensationalism."
The following users liked this post:
one4all (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Do you have your head in the sand? Even the standard TLX is marketed as being "FAST" and a performance sedan. The Type-S even more so. This is the primary reason I chastise it every chance I get. That and the deranged fanboys hailing the thing as the second coming of Christ.

And your video was rebuked by mine. How many times do I have to repeat myself? The carwow video clearly shows the C63S and M4 walking away from the RS5 from a roll. This is literally the shit I can't fucking stand from the Honda crowd. See what you want with your narrow-minded dumbfuckery. The RS5 wins from a dig because it has AWD compared to RWD. From a roll, where traction isn't limited, motherfucking basic fucking physics and "numbers on paper" trump asinine fucking fanboyism as both the M4 and C63 walk away because ... holy fucking shit ... they both have more power on paper with the same fucking weight. The TLX-S's competition all have AWD and drivetrains built to withstand hard launches instead of SH-AWD which isn't. It's as heavy or heavier than the competition. So what fucking claim do you think the fucking piece of fucking shit Type-S is going to pull out of its fucking ass wizardly bullshit built Honda POS ass?

And there's no Civics making 350HP beating a Viper unless it's gutted and making that power at the wheels. Again, basic fucking physics. Power + weight will determine who wins. Unless one has an obscenely peaky powerband that is near useless. I'm so fucking done with this dumbshit fucking Honda community. Fucking done. Fucking Christ I can't fucking take it anymore.
You are getting all worked up arguing with a bunch of people sitting in their basement in their underwear acting like experts. And to think this kind of entertainment is FREE!
The following 5 users liked this post by jjsC5:
04WDPSeDaN (04-21-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (04-21-2021), EasyLoveRDX (04-21-2021), ELIN (04-21-2021), Legend2TL (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:31 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
You are getting all worked up arguing with a bunch of people sitting in their basement in their underwear acting like experts. And to think this kind of entertainment is FREE!
It's not worth it.

Agree to disagree and go about your day, as I say.
Shadow2056 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
​​​​​​Regarding handling, MT says "It's extremely competent, sure, but it has no soul."

What does this even mean?
one4all (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 AM
Drifting

And to think this kind of entertainment is FREE!
The popcorn was not. Pass it down please! LOL
jjsC5 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Love it! And a lot of these guys have never driven and will never be able to afford the cars they're talking about.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
The following 7 users liked this post by TigerEyeJazz:
bilirubin (04-21-2021), Curious3GTL (04-21-2021), NBP04TL4ME (04-21-2021), one4all (04-22-2021), Pens Fan (04-22-2021), silverTL6 (04-22-2021), Tony Pac (04-21-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EasyLoveRDX
​​​​​​Regarding handling, MT says "It's extremely competent, sure, but it has no soul."

Probably means it’s not very engaging or fun. They do comment on the numb steering, and with SH-AWD being as good as it is I can understand how it just feels like it’s the computer doing all the work for you. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, especially in a family hauler (no matter how badly Acura wants you to think think this is a 3-row NSX), but much like how an automatic has less “soul” than a manual, having something that feels more like a video game in how “easy” it is to drive doesn’t really evoke as much driving enjoyment as it could.
BEAR-AvHistory (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerEyeJazz
Thanks for sharing. Juts watched it. So exited for the Type S.

I won't lie the MDX looks better in type S than the TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
bilirubin (04-21-2021), one4all (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Thanks for sharing. Juts watched it. So exited for the Type S.

I won't lie the MDX looks better in type S than the TLX.
I'm actually not a fan of the MDX Type S. If it was parked in a supermarket lot next to non-Type S MDX's, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart until you saw the rear and the quad pipes.

At least the TLX Type S has the logo in the front grille and enough of the A-Spec exterior to set it apart head on.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm actually not a fan of the MDX Type S. If it was parked in a supermarket lot next to non-Type S MDX's, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart until you saw the rear and the quad pipes.

At least the TLX Type S has the logo in the front grille and enough of the A-Spec exterior to set it apart head on.
I actually like that it looks subdued and subtle. Stealth wealth
Old 04-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Instructor

The front is actually different on the MDX Type S.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I've been following that list on the Accord boards. I'm glad to see Joel back on top! He was dethroned a few weeks ago by Alex. What a fun competition these guys are having.

And who would think a mere Honda Accord would command this much modding attention?

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
There's actually a list on the 10th gen Accord page with the top 10 Accords hitting the 12 second range. So yes. There are plenty of them that are beating 392s. And that's only people who are part of the page or even reporting their numbers. Joel Felix is hitting 11s. Seen vids of guys hanging with or beating Scat Packs that aren't on this list as well.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Drifting

The front is actually different on the MDX Type S.
I was watching the Type S video and scrutinizing the MDX Type S as soon as it appeared. In the vid shot where it's looking at you head on, it looks like a run of the mill MDX.

Compare the vid cap below vs an A-Spec. Where's the difference?
Attached Thumbnails Type-S is almost here.-type-s-mdx.png   Type-S is almost here.-mdx-spec.png  
Old 04-21-2021, 12:31 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I've been following that list on the Accord boards. I'm glad to see Joel back on top! He was dethroned a few weeks ago by Alex. What a fun competition these guys are having.

And who would think a mere Honda Accord would command this much modding attention?
Accords in general have always been top choice for people to modify. It's different now since the Accords come with a turbo engine.
neuronbob (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 12:43 PM
Instructor

I was watching the Type S video and scrutinizing the MDX Type S as soon as it appeared. In the vid shot where it's looking at you head on, it looks like a run of the mill MDX.

The one in the video is just an A-Spec model. The video was taken from the reveal video of the MDX back in December. The photo I posted has a little glimpse of the Type S front end. It’s going to be more aggressive then the A-Spec. Reason why they haven’t shown off the front end is because they are holding off till the Reveal in June for it.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:58 PM
Drifting

The one in the video is just an A-Spec model. The video was taken from the reveal video of the MDX back in December. The photo I posted has a little glimpse of the Type S front end. It’s going to be more aggressive then the A-Spec. Reason why they haven’t shown off the front end is because they are holding off till the Reveal in June for it.
Ok. I just find it odd in a video where every car is a Type S, they choose to pull from older footage for the MDX. Confusion Acura has caused.
silverTL6 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Ok. I just find it odd in a video where every car is a Type S, they choose to pull from older footage for the MDX. Confusion Acura has caused.
I get you. It’s more like they just want to show the rear for now. They’ve only shown the front of the Type S in the video of the prototype.
ELIN (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by EasyLoveRDX

That its as much fun to drive as watching grass grow. My Suburban 6.2L V8 with 420BHP, 10 Speed Transmission, Mag Suspension, Brembo Brakes, LSD is very competent. That said will take out the COBRA or Z4 if I want a fun ride. I think MT might be taking a cheap hit on Acura's Hot Rod SUV adds. Outside of some very big bucks Euro SUV's they are all pretty much generic stuff haulers.

So far IIRC the quickest SUV at Lightning Laps Lamborghini Urus @ 66th overall, $218,009 Base MSRP. Its has SOUL in spades

Originally Posted by robnalex
Love it! And a lot of these guys have never driven and will never be able to afford the cars they're talking about.
Think you will find that most if not all of they guys unhappy with Acura "performance luxury car" advertising for every car in their lineup are former owners who have moved up. So far nothing they have put up justifies the performance hype.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-21-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

lmmfao...Bye Felicia...lol....rolling
The following 4 users liked this post by NwTSXmt:
nist7 (04-22-2021), Shadow2056 (04-22-2021), Tony Pac (04-21-2021), WTF.Acura (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I'm so fucking done with this dumbshit fucking Honda community. Fucking done. Fucking Christ I can't fucking take it anymore.
You need to relax & enjoy the site. Think of it as Comedy Central for cars. If it was not for the Honda Community we would have been deprived of seeing the Fast & Furious Franchise. "Oh the humanity"
Old 04-21-2021, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

MDX Type-S will have big side intake vents on the bumper for transmission and oil coolers. The drawing has been leaked a while ago. Personally, I like the front of vanilla MDX better, more streamlined.
ELIN (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts

MDX Type S
The following 2 users liked this post by WTF.Acura:
bilirubin (04-22-2021), ELIN (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Drifting

^^^^^^
They're trying to make it look like the smaller RDX?
Old 04-21-2021, 06:06 PM
Instructor

^^^^^^
They're trying to make it look like the smaller RDX?
you can never tell how a car looks with patent images like that. It’s probably going to look better.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
lmmfao...Bye Felicia...lol....rolling

he is the smart one. He is done and leaving the community. Good luck brother.

i can’t wait for a few more to leave 🤣
Shadow2056 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 03:02 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
MDX Type-S will have big side intake vents on the bumper for transmission and oil coolers. The drawing has been leaked a while ago. Personally, I like the front of vanilla MDX better, more streamlined.
If the MDX-S looks anything like that horrid patent drawing then yes. Subjective looks aside, at least they made the effort to differentiate the front more, unlike the TLX-S where they merely added a lip extension and badge, opened up the side vents, and called it a day
Old 04-22-2021, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 284 Posts

Agreed. So many complain about the power. People aren't going to be racing from light to light every day.

People should be more concerned about daily drivability. Not if the thing can beat every car on the road. If I spend $50k on a car, I'm driving it every day. So my comfort as well how sporty it is comes into play.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shadow2056:
ELIN (04-22-2021), NBP04TL4ME (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 284 Posts

So angry....Lol

woosa...

Who is actually doing the math and calculations of physics to see if the car they're buying can beat another? You're looking way too deep into this man. It's ok. Take a break. Your brain hurts. Lol

Last edited by Shadow2056; 04-22-2021 at 10:49 AM.
nist7 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Agreed. So many complain about the power. People aren't going to be racing from light to light every day.

People should be more concerned about daily drivability. Not if the thing can beat every car on the road. If I spend $50k on a car, I'm driving it every day. So my comfort as well how sporty it is comes into play.
I've always thought the same as you mentioned, who cares about 0-60, it's not like you're going to the track with it(generally speaking) or going to be doing 0-60 at every stop sign and light. Of course you don't want a turtle but more important it's a daily driver, you want comfort and reliability. But mindset of a 30 year old differs from people in their lower 20s, generally speaking. As you grow older you become less of a reckless asshole on the road.

But people have the right to complain on power for a special performance model, like the Type-S imo.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sclyzed:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-22-2021), ELIN (04-22-2021), NBP04TL4ME (04-22-2021), Shadow2056 (04-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Type-S is almost here.