Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraz88
Don't forget the 9.5 GB built-in Hard Drive and the Compact Flash memory reader... Acura better come up with something special for '07 or else I'm getting a G...
But don't forget the TL is bigger then the G35, there is no back seat in the G35.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AltecBX
The '07 Camry has a mp3 input. The TL im pretyyy sure will come with at least an mp3 player or aux jack as well. The glove compartment plug for ipod is the stupiest idea Acura came up with. You can't even see it on screen.
You can run the cable to the center consoleas well... but it's useless there anyway. When you plug your Ipod into the MusicLink it freezes the Ipod screen, it reads "OK to Disconnect"... There's nothing to see. You control the Ipod through the steering wheel controls and audio prompts. It's a bit funky to use. Aftermarket USA SPEC or equivalent is the only way to go.

It'll be a FEW generations before you ever will be able to control/view your Ipod from the Nav screen. Even the the best Aftermarket head untis don't have that level of integration... The Ipod data standards change with every release, which makes it very difficult for electronics companies to keep up. The most modern Acura Nav system offers an AUX port... The means no Ipod control, just an audio in source... That's the easiest solution to provide, becasue there are so many mp3 player products... Why should Acura cater to only one?

The G does have a backseat, but it's competely useless to anyone over the age of 8 years old.

Keyless entry and push button start are novel, but will command much more in costs. Funny story, I drove into work the other day and noticed one of my guys headlights were on his new IS350. Went tin to get him, came out, and found out the headligths were on becasue the car was RUNNING. Not sure how it started, but needless to say the keyless entry and push botton start are certainly suspect. I don't think it's worth the additional cost, security risk, and key replacement costs... but many here are quite smitten with the concept.

A better, mill cut key like VW is all I really want.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Angry Head to head

How many of you have raced the new Acura with the old Type S? it was a close race for me.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

The lights already go off

Originally Posted by ftam767
I also want to see DRLs and Auto On/Off headlamps on the 07 TL
The lights already go off after the time set by the trip computer if you want DLR just leave them on all the time, I do
Old 06-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
But don't forget the TL is bigger then the G35, there is no back seat in the G35.
Why do you say Bigger?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Raheel
Why do you say Bigger?
Yeah.

The current G35 has more interior volume than the TL, larger trunk, bigger gas tank, longer wheelbase, and the legroom, shoulder room, etc. measurements are about the same.

I wouldn't say the TL is bigger than the G35 at all. Unless, of course, you're talking about the G35 coupe ... which would be comparing apples and avacados.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yeah.

The current G35 has more interior volume than the TL, larger trunk, bigger gas tank, longer wheelbase, and the legroom, shoulder room, etc. measurements are about the same.

I wouldn't say the TL is bigger than the G35 at all. Unless, of course, you're talking about the G35 coupe ... which would be comparing apples and avacados.
I have a G35 and felt the TL to be smaller in the back, but in general I felt they are both small in the back in general, but they are certainly not uncomfortable like the new IS250/350's
Old 06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Instructor

wow....took me forever to read most of the replies that have been posted in this thread........from reading almost all the replies, i gather that nobody has really good idea of what might happen to 07 TLs which should be coming out in couple of months......well, if the new TL gets ventilated seats, back up camera, and face-lift, I'll be one the first ones to trade in my 05 for 07.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
How many of you have raced the new Acura with the old Type S? it was a close race for me.
Acuraboy7: Welcome to Acurazine and the the 3G TL Forum.

You should find lots of information and interesting people here to share you love of Acuras.

Try to stay on the thread topic. You can also search your topic using the SEARCH function to see if a thread has already been started in your area of interest.

If you want to discuss other cars beside the 2007+ TLs, go to the appropriate forum such as Car Talk or Racing & Competition.

That way, you will find more pertinent information and the readers with a similar interest are able to find you.

Enjoy!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Cruisin'

This is probably heresy around here but the lack of info on the 2007 model has the wife pushing hard for her favorite, the 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6 V6. We are in the market now and can get the 2007 Cadi now. I've been an Acura guy (owned two) and prefer the TL but this CTS intrigues me as well!
I certainly recognize Acura's desire to hold their cards close to the vest but for people in the market now, it's tough. Most manufactures have either started selling 2007s or in the case of GM, Ford, and Chrysler, have a production start date.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Wink Marketing Bologna

Heresy? Apostacy? Naw. Acura drivers are an open-minded group. We appreciate fine cars however they are branded. We just happen to think that Honda/Acura make some of the most well-engineered, efficient, and reliable cars on the planet. Recently, they have added the dimension of performance to the mix.

Reminder. It is not even halfway through the year 2006. Honda is historically more straight-forward in it's marketing, dismissing the hype and fluff of Madison Avenue (to a point).

It must take a certain desperation to label your models a 2007 when it's still six and a half months away.

Acura is selling well- except for the RL I guess. There is nothing to motivate them to jump on the 2007 bandwagon early. Makers coming out early are usually bringing a new model or a redesign to market. They don't jump the gun so early with minor model changes- like we fully expect with the 2007 TL.

Plus, early introductions carry with them a "ratcheting" effect. Once done, it's not easy to back away from. Buyers will look for the '08s same time next year. It's oh so artificial.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Are you kidding me? The G35 sedan actually has more comfortable back seats than the TL.. They actually recline as well...In fact some TL owners complain about the awkward placement of seats in the TL. I sat in one in the showroom and found it difficult to get in and out of as well and they were also situated too low.

As it gets closer and closer to '07 release.. I feel that I will be disappointed with what Acura has to offer. The '07 G35 is looking more and more attractive..
Old 06-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LivnLegend
This is probably heresy around here but the lack of info on the 2007 model has the wife pushing hard for her favorite, the 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6 V6. We are in the market now and can get the 2007 Cadi now. I've been an Acura guy (owned two) and prefer the TL but this CTS intrigues me as well!
I certainly recognize Acura's desire to hold their cards close to the vest but for people in the market now, it's tough. Most manufactures have either started selling 2007s or in the case of GM, Ford, and Chrysler, have a production start date.

What are you talking about ? You are saying the new body styles 2007 CTS is available now ? I doubt it

Rocky
Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

I believe the ’07 TL will stay with the 3.2. If they do, they cannot produce more than 35 more HP to the wheels. Means that the new TL won’t have more than 258 + 35 = 293HP. I believe that is the near end of power you can push to this 3.2 engine without turbo’s or superchargers. Only way to get it higher is to: 1) have the engine breath better and rev faster. 2) Raise compression from the current 11.0:1 to 12.0:1. 3) Valves to open wider. Another thing is to have the high gears (5 & 6) ratios shortened. If this is true assuming it will be a Type-S, we will have for ’07 a 3.2L 293HP 248 lbs-ft around 5100 rpm. I believe this is the limit for this FWD platform. They eventually will have to move this amount of power to AWD or RWD.

The G35 has better backseat and space than the current TL. Honda should improve the backspace area especially that it has most of the drivetrain in the front, compare to RWD cars like BMW and Infiniti.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Instructor

The G35 has better backseats (reclining) and space than the current TL. Honda should improve the backspace area especially that it has most of the drive train in the front, compare to RWD like BMW and Infiniti. This is one of the reasons Honda has to develop another platform for the TL, RL, and Accord. I believe they will for the ’08 accord which will be shared with the ’09 TL.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

I disagree with your opinion of the 3.2 being limited to 293 hp. I however do agree with your ways of making more power. I also believe that Acura could raise the redline on the TL Type-S to close to 8K since I've seen tuners do this. A cold air induction system would work. What I'd like to see is them use is the RDX engine and use those turbo's (2) to achieve the desired output + it would balance the car out and take alor of weight off the front wheels.

I'm hoping eventually we will see the SH-AWD system applied to the TL. This would solve all problems of grip and make the TL not only a high performance sport/lux sedan, but also give it's owners all-season no non-sense all weather capability. The use of air conditioned seats would also be a very nice feature.

I also am hoping the RDX 410 watt ELS Panasonic 5.1 will see production. Hopefully for the refresh along with the more advanced Navi w/ voice recognition. Acura should also add a adaptive cruise, swivel headlamps, pre-collision, and any other gee-whiz safety feature out there for 09'.

Anyways here's a response to my question to Acura.

Please describe your issue and indicate how Acura may provide
assistance:

Is there a Type-S
type of vehicle coming this yr ?

If such a vehicle is made I will be very
interested. What I'd personally would like to see is a 8000 RPM engine,
and twin turbo's and 400 hp. and SH AWD in a Type S or R model on the next generation.

On the refresh I'm atleast hoping to see features like air condition seats and the TL to get the 410 watt version of the ELS system from the RDX and 300 hp.

My Reply:

Dear Rocky,

Thank you for writing. There is not much I can reveal about future
product. I can probably state that there do not appear to be any 400hp
twin turbo engines in the near term. As far as Type-S? Keep checking
into our site from time to time.

Best Regards:

Jonathan
Acura Web Site.

ROCKY
Old 06-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
The G35 has better backseats (reclining) and space than the current TL. Honda should improve the backspace area especially that it has most of the drive train in the front, compare to RWD like BMW and Infiniti. This is one of the reasons Honda has to develop another platform for the TL, RL, and Accord. I believe they will for the ’08 accord which will be shared with the ’09 TL.
FYI, the TL back seat is wider, more comfortable and more leg room than my G35 had. I just sold my G35 Sedan and have first hand experience. Headroom is definitely less in the TL though.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
The TL is bigger.

Acura TL Spec:

Exterior
Length: 189.3 in. Width: 72.2 in.
Height: 56.7 in. Wheel Base: 107.9 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.8 in. Curb Weight: 3580 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 55.6 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 58.3 in. Rear Head Room: 37.2 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 55.7 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.8 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.8 in. Rear Leg Room: 34.9 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.5 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Infiniti G35 Sedan Spec:

Exterior
Length: 186.5 in. Width: 69 in.
Height: 57.7 in. Wheel Base: 112.2 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.5 in. Curb Weight: 3472 lbs.
Gross Weight: 4500 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 40.1 in. Front Hip Room: 52.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.4 in. Rear Head Room: 37.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 55.5 in. Rear Hip Room: 54.1 in.
Front Leg Room: 43.6 in. Rear Leg Room: 33.6 in.
Luggage Capacity: 14.8 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5
Old 06-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rockylee
What are you talking about ? You are saying the new body styles 2007 CTS is available now ? I doubt it

Rocky
Yes, I have driven the 2007 CTS. Doubt all you want!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LivnLegend
Yes, I have driven the 2007 CTS. Doubt all you want!
I do doubt it since the new bodystyle shown on 60 minutes isn't out yet. What are the new features and how much horsepower does the new CTS have ? What is the new interior like ? Is there PWR telescoping steering wheel finally, new navigation with voice recognition software ? DVD-Audio ? You are the first to drive one before I heard they were out ?

Rocky
Old 06-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Listen up!

I will repeat: This thread is for 2007+ Acura TLs.

If your post is deleted, you were probably attempting to hijack the thread and talk about some other topic or other cars.

We have a Car Talk forum if you want to do that. Post those topics there.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The '07 TL might look like this...

I hope the US freshening for 2007 is more significant than this. We (dealers) were led to believe a fairly major update would occur. Of course the headlights, and tailights will change, they always do every fourth year of a bodystyle. But we could use more to keep this model doing as well as it has been.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
http://www.templeofvtec.net/forums/o...sage_id=573217
Old 06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
a most interesting link, winstrol. If Acura indeed adds SH-AWD to the TL, I wonder what would have to change to mitigate the added weight of the system. We've been speculating about this since the RL came out....we'll see in October when the 2007 is released...
Old 06-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Intermediate

Ya'll don't get it ??? The Type-S is coming for 2007'. Acura isn't going to let Infiniti have all the fun using the G35 to knock-out the BMW 3
Old 06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Office Linebacker

Good post WinnyV.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Actuary
How can Toyota squeeze 22/31 out of 268horses on regular gas? If Acura doesn't do better in 09 TL, I'm moving onto Lexus.
well, the only thing i can offer to answer that is the fact that they're using a bigger engine. the new camry's are 3.5L blocks, so it shouldn't be surprising that you can squeeze 268hp on regular gas and the RL squeezes 290 on premium with a little more tuning. the EPA estimate is only 22mpg in the city with the camry, so there's your first drawback to displacement, although the highway mileage is projected quite high. must be in the transmission gearing.....

and i still say it would be easy enough to squeeze 30hp extra out of the J32 by changing to more aggressive cams and exhaust profiles. just don't expect the gas mileage to remain as good as it has been.

SSTS
Old 06-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Why are you saying that Camry V6 only gets 22 MPG in the city??? TL is ONLY gets 20MPG and we know that this number falls down really badly when actually driven in the city. 2002 Accord 4 Cylinder 4AT ONLY gets 23MPG in the City and 30MPG on the Highway and that is for 150HP using the old SEA rating. So you are complaining that a brand new Camry with v6 and over 260 HP get only 22MPG in the city and 31MPG on the highway.

Currently, I believe that Honda’s v6 engines really lack some power and efficiency. I am hoping for some major changes in the V6 engine department soon.

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
well, the only thing i can offer to answer that is the fact that they're using a bigger engine. the new camry's are 3.5L blocks, so it shouldn't be surprising that you can squeeze 268hp on regular gas and the RL squeezes 290 on premium with a little more tuning. the EPA estimate is only 22mpg in the city with the camry, so there's your first drawback to displacement, although the highway mileage is projected quite high. must be in the transmission gearing.....

and i still say it would be easy enough to squeeze 30hp extra out of the J32 by changing to more aggressive cams and exhaust profiles. just don't expect the gas mileage to remain as good as it has been.

SSTS
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by mlody
Currently, I believe that Honda’s v6 engines really lack some power and efficiency.

I completely disagree. Where are you going to get all this power that is supposedly missing???
Old 06-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Office Linebacker

Oh man. Seriously guys - KEEP IT TO THE 2007 TL. Why is that so hard?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:44 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Ya'll don't get it ??? The Type-S is coming for 2007'. Acura isn't going to let Infiniti have all the fun using the G35 to knock-out the BMW 3

I think we get it... What Y'all don't seem to get is the "bang for the buck" you're gonna lose as this competition heats up.

I gaurantee these new 2007 edition cars are gonna be in the very high $30's to low $40's.
That's a far cry from my meager $32K for my TL, and more that I woudl want to spend on a car that didn;t have a Porshe badge on it.

It'll be cool to see these cars come out, but if these guys don't keep thier prices under the German cars, they're gonna lose.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by havenlock
Oh man. Seriously guys - KEEP IT TO THE 2007 TL. Why is that so hard?
i'm still on topic with the 2007 tl

unlike mlody i get 23-24mpg consistently in city/mixed driving and no less than 30mpg on the highway. i would expect the the 2007tl might employ a new version of iVTEC to compensate gas mileage for the horsepower increase. it would be nice at least.....

SSTS
Old 06-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I think we get it... What Y'all don't seem to get is the "bang for the buck" you're gonna lose as this competition heats up.

I gaurantee these new 2007 edition cars are gonna be in the very high $30's to low $40's.
That's a far cry from my meager $32K for my TL, and more that I woudl want to spend on a car that didn;t have a Porshe badge on it.

It'll be cool to see these cars come out, but if these guys don't keep thier prices under the German cars, they're gonna lose.
If the TL Type-S MSRP creeps into the $40K range then yes I agree it won't be the bargain it currently is. The Infiniti G35 will have the "bang for the buck" crown since the car magazines are saying $30K for a base 07' G35 and close to $35K for a loaded up version. The G35 is also said to have well over 300 horsepower, so if Acura wants the Type-S to be a value or unique it should employ the SH-AWD system to justify a over $40K pricetag. OTOH 300 something horsepower is a must.

The BMW 3 is the only car in the segment that seems to beable to get away with charging so much and not have to upgrade the power department. I guess it handles well enough to beable to get away with it ? I OTOH will be impressed if Acura can successfully make a S-Type TL that delivers all the goods at a reasonable price. Hopefully soon we will get the meat and potato's on the final product and it's numbers soon.

Have a good day

Rocky
Old 06-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Advanced

If the TL Type-S MSRP creeps into the $40K range then yes I agree it won't be the bargain it currently is. The Infiniti G35 will have the "bang for the buck" crown since the car magazines are saying $30K for a base 07' G35 and close to $35K for a loaded up version. The G35 is also said to have well over 300 horsepower, so if Acura wants the Type-S to be a value or unique it should employ the SH-AWD system to justify a over $40K pricetag. OTOH 300 something horsepower is a must.

The BMW 3 is the only car in the segment that seems to beable to get away with charging so much and not have to upgrade the power department. I guess it handles well enough to beable to get away with it ? I OTOH will be impressed if Acura can successfully make a S-Type TL that delivers all the goods at a reasonable price. Hopefully soon we will get the meat and potato's on the final product and it's numbers soon.

Have a good day

Rocky
I agree.. if there is a type-s model.. the only thing that I would care about is whether it has AWD or not.. I am not willing to pay 3 grand more for if all they do is up the HP to 290.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuraz88
I agree.. if there is a type-s model.. the only thing that I would care about is whether it has AWD or not.. I am not willing to pay 3 grand more for if all they do is up the HP to 290.
They will also upgrade suspension, seats, lights, knob, spoiler, etc. to justify the increase. The '02 TL-S wasn't more than $35, so I highly doubt that the '07 will be more than that, especially with the G35, having new sound system, paddle shifters, 305HP, 6 speed, traffic Navi, swivel lights, for $35-36K. And the little things like camera are going to be more. AND REMEMBER, is not official that Acura has a Type-S yet.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

They will also upgrade suspension, seats, lights, knob, spoiler, etc. to justify the increase. The '02 TL-S wasn't more than $35, so I highly doubt that the '07 will be more than that, especially with the G35, having new sound system, paddle shifters, 305HP, 6 speed, traffic Navi, swivel lights, for $35-36K. And the little things like camera are going to be more. AND REMEMBER, is not official that Acura has a Type-S yet.
Nor is the 35-36K for the G yet...
We're gonna have to wait to compare apples to apples.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I sure would love to know whats up with the TL-S, 2007 RL and S2000.

Darn Honda keeps everything so quiet.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Im sure the TL will add a lot more features which makes me regret getting a 06. I dont want the 07 to come out!!! haha

I expect the engine to only increase 15 hp at most. You can't really get more out of the 3.2 v6 SOHC unless they switch to DOHC like the NSX engine which will not happen.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced

I find it hard to believe that the new G35 loaded out is going to only be 35-36k when the '06 model I just built on their site was 38,900 for a RWD, tack on atleast a grand and then you will be at the AWD price.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LSIII
I find it hard to believe that the new G35 loaded out is going to only be 35-36k when the '06 model I just built on their site was 38,900 for a RWD, tack on atleast a grand and then you will be at the AWD price.
You must of added accessories to the G35 to get that price ?

The bottom line is Acura is going to have to make some big improvements if it wants to keep the wheels on demand for the TL. We've all seen whats happened with the RL, and it just doesn't have the power to be a major player. It also is lacking a few technologies of the others and hopefully honda, has learned a lesson or two from the RL experience and doesn't let the same thing happen to the TL. The TL already starts out of the box with some people at a disadvantage because of it's FWD. Is SH-AWD the way to go ? IMO yes, but others might say RWD is the solution. We can intellegently assume SH-AWD won't happen before 09'. This Acura TL needs a big bump in everything if it's gonna maintain marketshare. Hopefully like I said before we will get some "meat and potato's" very soon.

Rocky

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1