Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:41 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Why on earth would Acura tip their hand on next years TL? It is their # I seller and they still have almost three months left for the 2006. As someone stated earlier in the thread, the desperate companies with sales in the toilet need to hype the next great thing. I think Honda/Acura only pre-announces new product like the RDX. 90% of the stuff written here is based on wishes and dreams only.We typically get accurate information only just after printed material is shipped too the dealer less than 30 days prior to shipment. Again, 90% of this information is just entertainment. Just my

Originally Posted by rockylee
You must of added accessories to the G35 to get that price ?

The bottom line is Acura is going to have to make some big improvements if it wants to keep the wheels on demand for the TL. We've all seen whats happened with the RL, and it just doesn't have the power to be a major player. It also is lacking a few technologies of the others and hopefully honda, has learned a lesson or two from the RL experience and doesn't let the same thing happen to the TL. The TL already starts out of the box with some people at a disadvantage because of it's FWD. Is SH-AWD the way to go ? IMO yes, but others might say RWD is the solution. We can intellegently assume SH-AWD won't happen before 09'. This Acura TL needs a big bump in everything if it's gonna maintain marketshare. Hopefully like I said before we will get some "meat and potato's" very soon.
Rocky
Old 06-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2007 Nissan Maxima is loaded with features and Acura better take notice for the 2007 Acura TL.

2007 Nissan Maxima Features:

01. Rear sonar system.
02. Dual auto-dimming outside mirrors.
03. Dual tilt-down in reverse outside mirrors.
04. Intelligent key.
05. Rear windows with one-touch auto-up/down.
06. Remote rear windows down.
07. Power-tilt and telescoping steering column.
08. Power rear sunshade with front and rear controls.
09. Heated rear seats (two settings).
10. Heated steering wheel.
11. Memory system ( driver's seat, steering wheel, and outside mirrors ).
Old 06-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSIII
I find it hard to believe that the new G35 loaded out is going to only be 35-36k when the '06 model I just built on their site was 38,900 for a RWD, tack on atleast a grand and then you will be at the AWD price.

$38900 is for a fully loaded G35 with the premium package, navigation, sports package, aero package and satellite radio. When you add all those things your looking at an A-Spec TL to compare the two.

Now 07 G35 is looking to run around $35-36K with all those features because the current G35 is $35,950 with the premium package and sat. radio which includes all the possible features for that vehicle.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
The 2007 Nissan Maxima is loaded with features and Acura better take notice for the 2007 Acura TL.

2007 Nissan Maxima Features:

01. Rear sonar system.
02. Dual auto-dimming outside mirrors.
03. Dual tilt-down in reverse outside mirrors.
04. Intelligent key.
05. Rear windows with one-touch auto-up/down.
06. Remote rear windows down.
07. Power-tilt and telescoping steering column.
08. Power rear sunshade with front and rear controls.
09. Heated rear seats (two settings).
10. Heated steering wheel.
11. Memory system ( driver's seat, steering wheel, and outside mirrors ).
A Hyundai Azera comes with memory seats and an NSX doesn't - watch out Acura.

The TL and Maxima are cars of two different characters and class. Not saying that a TL is neccessarily a much better car, but they compete in different segments and drive completely different. Even the current Maxima has a lot of those features that you mention, but I haven't seen the TL's marketshare being stolen by the Max.

Back to the point....

No way the 07 TL will have SH-AWD. Unless Acura plans to give the RL a significant upgrade at the same time (which I doubt) since SH-AWD is one of the RL's "ace" attributes. Plus, I'm not sure that the TL platform could be cost effectively modified to accomodate SH-AWD without significant and costly changes that would make it a financially poor decision.

My bet is a Type S with:
increased power - within a hair's breath of 300hp. Via what? - better airflow and some kind of new or updated version of i-vtec, and a bumped redline. Obviously, this will come with the requisite suspension and interior upgrades. Maybe a more aggressive exterior - possible a restyled bumpers and skirts, and newer rims. Acura will have to pull somthing out of their ass with the torque steer issue - maybe go the same route Pontiac went with the V8 Grandprix (also FWD) and install larger front tires, possibly specially designed for the TL.

The RL seems to be at the limits of its J35 and its putting out 290hp. When I say "limit" I don't mean HP. Acura could pump the redline anyday, work some VTEC magic and get 320hp. But in this segment you need torque, and you need it low down, and you need it throughout the rev range. Bumping the hp of the J35 in this manner without a displacement increase would probably not be beneficial to the torque situation.

I reckon that Acura might instead choose to bestow the RL with a new 6 or even 7 speed automatic somewhere down the line, designed to better take advantage of the RL's available power. This would set it apart from the TL more significantly, and also aid the RL's acceleration, and fuel economy figures.

^ Above is all pure speculation, but I figured I'd take a gander and see what I "think" will happen.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by vishnus11
A Hyundai Azera comes with memory seats and an NSX doesn't - watch out Acura.
Is that supposed to be funny? Don't try to be smart, because the 2007 Nissan Maxima has the potential of stealing potential 2007 Acura TL buyers.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dont forget the fog lights.. which will probably be added ...
Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

oh more thing.. i heard there might be a type S for the 07s... anyone know if this is true???
Old 06-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TL260power
oh more thing.. i heard there might be a type S for the 07s... anyone know if this is true???

I guess you didn't read the thread?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't want to repeat my post here, but check this link re: G35 comparisons:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=43

I will start a thread in Car Talk with a complete comparo.

Until then, just let me say that, not only is the Maxima (which I have had for 14 years) not in the same class as the TL...... IMHO, neither is the Infiniti G35 Sedan. I will detail the reasons why in the proper forum. (Hint!)
Old 06-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Is that supposed to be funny? Don't try to be smart, because the 2007 Nissan Maxima has the potential of stealing potential 2007 Acura TL buyers.
Slick: You're new here. Welcome.

Red print indicates sarcasm or a joke. Yes. It was apparently meant to be funny.

I don't know any Acura TL driver that would be happy with a Maxima.

As the saying goes, "How do you keep them down on the farm after they've seen Paree?"

I went the other direction: Maxima to TL. The Maxima has more rough torque (and torque steer) than the TL, with a slightly bigger engine in litres (3.5 vs 3.2), but the TL turns in better numbers. I love the Maxima engine.

But, I don't like the Maxima car nearly as much as the TL. All of the features mentioned are mostly optional on the Maxima and mostly standard on the TL.

I am driving a 2006 Infiniti G35 right now and I am amazed at what it DOESN'T have compared with the TL.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ with what Xpiditor said

Learn a little more about both cars and drive both instead of reading of the brochure.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I don't want to repeat my post here, but check this link re: G35 comparisons:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=43

I will start a thread in Car Talk with a complete comparo.

Until then, just let me say that, not only is the Maxima (which I have had for 14 years) not in the same class as the TL...... IMHO, neither is the Infiniti G35 Sedan. I will detail the reasons why in the proper forum. (Hint!)
Its not a question of whether its in the same class. .. but a question if other people consider buying it over the TL... because I know I did and so did 3 of my friends.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:55 PM

Slick: You're new here. Welcome.

Red print indicates sarcasm or a joke. Yes. It was apparently meant to be funny.

I don't know any Acura TL driver that would be happy with a Maxima.

As the saying goes, "How do you keep them down on the farm after they've seen Paree?"

I went the other direction: Maxima to TL. The Maxima has more rough torque (and torque steer) than the TL, with a slightly bigger engine in litres (3.5 vs 3.2), but the TL turns in better numbers. I love the Maxima engine.

But, I don't like the Maxima car nearly as much as the TL. All of the features mentioned are mostly optional on the Maxima and mostly standard on the TL.

I am driving a 2006 Infiniti G35 right now and I am amazed at what it DOESN'T have compared with the TL.
The only reason why I said that the Nissan Maxima has the potential of stealing potential Acura TL buyers is because I know three people who really considered buying a Nissan Maxima over the Acura TL. Two of them even looked into the Honda Accord before they bought their TL. In the end, two of them bought the Acura TL and one of them bought the Nissan Maxima. Yes, I know they are in different classes, but both cars ( Nissan Maxima and Acura TL ) cost about $35,000 fully loaded. Both cars are featured-packed and reliable. My brother also looked into the Nissan Maxima ( and Infiniti G35 ) before he bought his Acura TL.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:04 PM

Will the 4G Acura TL be a 2008 model or a 2009 model? I've heard both time frames mentioned.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:25 PM
6speed NBP

most likely as a 09 model
Old 06-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Why does everyone always like to compare the TL to the G35? How come people on this forum is always defending their TL up agian the G35 and 3 series? I own a 06 G35 sedan and on the G35 forums I notice that the whole TL VS G35 topic is hardly ever brought up.

I'm sure alot of people who bought the TL consider the G35 and those that bought the G35 considered the TL, I know I did. It just seems G35 owners are more content with their purchases.

Back to the topic, knowing honda, the 07 TL should be getting a facelift for sure. A small increase in power isn't out of the question and maybe a few more options. I'm sure honda isn't going to do anything dramatic like a new engine or the addition of SH-AWD, those would be saved for the next gen TL because you want the public to precieve the car as an advancement over the pervious gen, not a reskin.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I guess you didn't read the thread?
my bad..but its 25 pages long so if you remember where it was said then i can take it from there..
Old 06-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TL260power
my bad..but its 25 pages long so if you remember where it was said then i can take it from there..
Cliff's notes: General conscensus from multiple sources is that, indeed, the Type-S will come back in 2007. It is believed to come with a power boost to about 290 HP (vs. 258 SAE). We don't have reliable info on whether the A-Spec pkg will be included or even if it will continue to be an option.

If you just scan the posts for blue links, that will take you to some interesting links.

Or, you can search for "Type-S" and come up with pertinent comments.

XP (Dave)
Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

I think the TL vs. G35 topic is one of the great discussions we have. The reason why I think both cars are braught up be cause they both offer the customer lots of value. 2007' Type-S vs. G35 will be even more exciting. I personally don't think the TL will be a 3 series slayer until it does get a big bump in horsepower and gets SH-AWD so it can handle like the Bimmer. The new redesigned Cadillac CTS could be released as early as this January as a 2008' model. The bottom line is it's heating up and it's going to be fun for us automobile buffs. I do believe the refreshened TL Type-S will beable to hold it's own if it's priced competitvely. I hear the $43K MSRP tag being throwin' around on this and other forums. I personally can't see the TL Type-S being priced that high without a SH-AWD system and more "gadgetology"

Rocky
Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Instructor

TL S price

Personally I don't think TL will cross 40K mark in the near future, if it does it looses its major appeal of affordability.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by prashants17
Personally I don't think TL will cross 40K mark in the near future, if it does it looses its major appeal of affordability.
I think you're right. It came close to that with the A-Spec package, though.

We will know for sure in about two months from now, what features and what price. It's high time for a MMC, can't wait to see what the Ac has for us....and whether it's worth trading in for it.....if it's got AWD, I am all over it (as I've said previously).
Old 06-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Anybody here paid $2-3K less on their '02 Type-S(MMC) or '04 TL(FMC)? The reason I ask, is because I want to know how to go in and negotiate. A couple of months ago, I was getting a quote for a $35K TL for $32.5K.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

.... I personally don't think the TL will be a 3 series slayer until it does get a big bump in horsepower and gets SH-AWD so it can handle like the Bimmer. Rocky
The TL is not intended to compete with the compact 3 series BMW. The TL is a luxury-sport sedan and its dimensions are almost identical to a 5 series BMW.

A 5 series BMW cannot compete with a 3 series BMW in handling because of the weight difference. Likewise the TL.

But, in an apples/apples comparison, the TL has performed equal to or better than a 530 BMW. If you think otherwise, you have fallen for the BMW spin machine and have probably not driven them head-to-head. Most people haven't ever driven a 5 series, let alone made a direct comparison.

Reference: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1232

(You will find the BMW 530 test in the same issue. Compare them. Smell the coffee :wink: )
Old 06-26-2006, 04:50 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Can't speak to a 2002 TL-S, but most seem to pay around $32K for a new TL. Comparing what someone paid in 2002 is a waste of mental energy. Different car with different features in a different economy.

If the TL-S does come out again, it will be a specialty release... You can count on little to no "negotiation", especially i the reintroduction year... Ask the early 3G TL adopters who paid MSRP for thier 2004 TL, where folks are paying 2-3K less for a new TL now.

Considering MSRP on aloaded TL is $35.5K and the A-Spec package is another $4-5K, I could completely see the TL-S pushing $40K considering all the "upgrades". The A-Spec kit doesn't include a a 20+ HP bump larger displacement engine either, where the TL-S is highly speculated to, and thus would command a higher justified price.

It's gonna cost... a lot. and it'll be in HIGH demand. and that's the only thing that keeps me happy with my 2006.

Originally Posted by AltecBX
Anybody here paid $2-3K less on their '02 Type-S(MMC) or '04 TL(FMC)? The reason I ask, is because I want to know how to go in and negotiate. A couple of months ago, I was getting a quote for a $35K TL for $32.5K.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by prashants17
good.....that means i probably won't see a TL everytime i turn my head on the road
Old 06-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Intermediate

The TL is not intended to compete with the compact 3 series BMW. The TL is a luxury-sport sedan and its dimensions are almost identical to a 5 series BMW.

A 5 series BMW cannot compete with a 3 series BMW in handling because of the weight difference. Likewise the TL.

But, in an apples/apples comparison, the TL has performed equal to or better than a 530 BMW. If you think otherwise, you have fallen for the BMW spin machine and have probably not driven them head-to-head. Most people haven't ever driven a 5 series, let alone made a direct comparison.

Reference: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1232

(You will find the BMW 530 test in the same issue. Compare them. Smell the coffee :wink: )
I've driven a BMW M3 sedan (my buddy's 97') and owned a 05' Anthracite TL 6-speed w/ summer tires and navi. I found my TL and buddy's E36 M3 were about the same size inside.

I recognize perhaps they aren't direct competitors, but many people who shop a TL or a BMW 3 do look at them both. I did personally. I'm just saying that if Acura wanted to really get it's fan base excited it would offer SH-AWD or RWD on the TL. I think Acura is going to run into a problem if it doesn't make the TL more unique from the TSX IMO. I really like the Acura TL. The Type-S I hope is more than just a few cosmetic and horsepower upgrades.
I'm afraid that's all the Type-S will be. I hope I'm wrong since I'm in the market for a new vehicle and want a sport/lux sedan that has a manuel tranny.

Rocky
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

I've driven a BMW M3 sedan (my buddy's 97') and owned a 05' Anthracite TL 6-speed w/ summer tires and navi. I found my TL and buddy's E36 M3 were about the same size inside.

I recognize perhaps they aren't direct competitors, but many people who shop a TL or a BMW 3 do look at them both. I did personally. I'm just saying that if Acura wanted to really get it's fan base excited it would offer SH-AWD or RWD on the TL. I think Acura is going to run into a problem if it doesn't make the TL more unique from the TSX IMO. I really like the Acura TL. The Type-S I hope is more than just a few cosmetic and horsepower upgrades.
I'm afraid that's all the Type-S will be. I hope I'm wrong since I'm in the market for a new vehicle and want a sport/lux sedan that has a manuel tranny.

Rocky
I agree that shoppers go from the TL to the 3 series to cross-shop but for reasons of price -they are closer than TL vs. 5 series. When you load up the 3 series (or 5 series) with features that are standard on the TL, their price starts to skyrocket.

But the TL (in objective measurements) is quite a bit larger than the 3 series inside and out. It is nearly a foot longer and heavier.

No doubt Acura will lose sales to BMW 3 series for those who put more emphasis on the branding and driver feel (and those with deeper pockets). But, BMW is losing sales to Acura TL for people who are focused on performance, luxury, reliability, features, and value. That's what persuaded me to get the TL.

I understand why Acura is reluctant to change a winning formula also. If they address our collective wish list here, I think it will make a lot of the "fan base" happy.

BTW, the 3 series also has the Bridgestone Turenza EL42s. (The tire everyone loves to hate)
Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

seems one feature for sure (if I remember the list of features correctly) is that the new TL will have Daytime running lights. It also seems that SH-AWD might not be included (unless this only a test for the FWD version).

And if the pictures are any proof, seems that the the clear headlights are not happening

Do any of you recognize any new features here ?

Government crash testing of the 2007 TL

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3999.html
Old 06-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Racer

Exclamation It's the 2004 model

Originally Posted by kamal
<snipped>

Sorry, the pics are the 04 model. Also, the crash test data for 2004 - 2007 is exactly the same.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2641.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3217.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3653.html

Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by kamal
seems one feature for sure (if I remember the list of features correctly) is that the new TL will have Daytime running lights. It also seems that SH-AWD might not be included (unless this only a test for the FWD version).

And if the pictures are any proof, seems that the the clear headlights are not happening

You do know they have the same pictures for all the Crash Ratings

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/2641.html - 2004

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3217.html - 2005

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3653.html - 2006
Old 06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

I do now.....
Old 06-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

That's nothing. The pics of the "new" TL on the Acura web site have not changed for the last 3 years. It's still a 2004 SSM TL in front of the same buildings.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Will Acura ever get Rain sensor Wipers?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm hoping not. Same for curb feelers, back-up beepers, etc.

If I ever get to the point that I can't tell it's raining and extend my index finger to the wiper stalk: shoot me!

My g/f found some golf tees in my center console and asked me what they were.

I said, "They're tees. You put your balls on them when you're driving."

She said, "How about that! What are those Acura people going to think of next?" (rim shot)
Old 06-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Torrance, Calif. 05/02/2006 -- Sparked by record monthly sales for the TSX sports sedan, as well as a new monthly benchmark for the TL performance luxury sedan, Acura sold 19,372 units during the month of April, an increase of 5.3 percent over a year ago, the division announced today.

TSX had the best month in its history, selling 3,911 units, an increase of 22.0 percent above the previous mark of 3,329, set in April 2005. Year-to-date TSX sales are now at 13,144 units - 17.3 percent better than 2005.

The TL performance luxury sedan was the top-selling Acura in April, setting a new all-time record with 7,975 units for the month, bringing the TL year-to-date sales total to 24,779. Acura cars also reached an all-time record for sales during the month with 14,958.

"We are extremely proud of the continued strong sales of both TSX and TL," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president, sales. "Their strength have put us in a position where another record year for Acura is well within reach."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read between the lines: No big changes.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Cruisin'

I thought the TL already had rain sensor wipers? The sensor is located on the back of the rear view mirror.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by proxcon
I thought the TL already had rain sensor wipers? The sensor is located on the back of the rear view mirror.
Not there.

There are two sensors located on top of your nose.

j/k
Old 06-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Damn, you're on it today, aren't you?

My g/f found some golf tees in my center console and asked me what they were.

I said, "They're tees. You put your balls on them when you're driving."

She said, "How about that! What are those Acura people going to think of next?" (rim shot)

Read between the lines: No big changes.
Exactly...and it's also why they aren't rushing to release info on the '07 model...no need to do so.

There are two sensors located on top of your nose.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have an 03 CL Type S 6MT. The 04 TL equalled or bettered the previous Type S offerings in most all areas. To offer a Type S on the current TL seems mostly just a marketing ploy, as the TL seems tweaked out pretty well in current form. I can see moving the A-Spec upgrades to a TL, but calling it a Type S would only be hype.

Seems like, on the 2gen CL at least, the Type S was the norm, and a bigger seller than the CLP. So now they will offer a Type S TL, and steal attention away from the base TL? Can't do too much more power on the TL, it already has most of the upgrades the Type S offered. Somehow I just don't see it but if they do a Type S it won't be the same as the previous Type S upgrades IMO.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I have an 03 CL Type S 6MT. The 04 TL equalled or bettered the previous Type S offerings in most all areas. To offer a Type S on the current TL seems mostly just a marketing ploy, as the TL seems tweaked out pretty well in current form. I can see moving the A-Spec upgrades to a TL, but calling it a Type S would only be hype.

Seems like, on the 2gen CL at least, the Type S was the norm, and a bigger seller than the CLP. So now they will offer a Type S TL, and steal attention away from the base TL? Can't do too much more power on the TL, it already has most of the upgrades the Type S offered. Somehow I just don't see it but if they do a Type S it won't be the same as the previous Type S upgrades IMO.
Well hopefully the TL does get some major upgrades, if not the new G35 will eat it's lunch unfortunately and I don't want that to happen.

Rocky

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1